Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

BlueCat DNS Edge OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BlueCat DNS Edge is #10 ranked solution in top Domain Name System (DNS) Security tools. PeerSpot users give BlueCat DNS Edge an average rating of 6.0 out of 10. BlueCat DNS Edge is most commonly compared to EfficientIP DNS Guardian: BlueCat DNS Edge vs EfficientIP DNS Guardian. BlueCat DNS Edge is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Domain Name System (DNS) Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is BlueCat DNS Edge?

BlueCat DNS Edge gives cybersecurity and network teams shared visibility and control over internal and external DNS traffic. It adds a much-needed layer of visibility, control and detection for corporate networks under siege from an explosion of malware attacks that exploit DNS.

BlueCat DNS Edge Customers
Swisslos, Cologne Bonn Airport, TYROLIT
BlueCat DNS Edge Video

BlueCat DNS Edge Reviews

System/Network Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly scalable but doesn't provide us with the visibility we need
  • "It allows us to easily monitor our subnets and routers."
  • "A more graphical user interface would be a benefit."

What is our primary use case?

It's our DNS server. We have thousands of users. We're a university with over 70,000 students. The medical school alone has roughly eight to ten thousand users.

How has it helped my organization?

It's always good to have something on the window, right in front of you instead of recording on your subnets, routers, and devices. It's also easy to set up and configure, too.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to easily monitor our subnets and routers.

What needs improvement?

A more graphical user interface would be a benefit. It would be nice if I could click on a subnet and it would show me all of my links and everything. It seems pretty binary in the sense that it was just a little more advanced in the spreadsheet. A dashboard would be good.

It would be nice if within that dashboard I could click on a subnet and it would tell me my yellow, red, and green access. If it could show me graphically, what's up and down on that, subnet, that would be great.

Domain Name System (DNS) Security
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about BlueCat, Palo Alto Networks, EfficientIP and others in Domain Name System (DNS) Security. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for one year.

BlueCat DNS Edge is quite stable.

We have thousands of users, including three dozen subnets — major subnets within subnets. On one subnet, we can have up to three to four dozen within a subnet. The tier is pretty deep; it goes into a class B or a class C range. Scalability-wise, it's pretty good.

I have never had to contact technical support.

I used to work in military contracting. There, we just used whatever the military provided us with. I forget the name of the solution.

The solution I used to use when I worked for the military was more graphical-based. It was a typology of our whole network; it had red, green, yellow, and blue ratings for our connections.

It had more of an in-depth graphical interface that allowed us to see our entire structure. It had more of a graphical user interface that allowed us to analyze our connection status. BlueCat DNS Edge doesn't allow us to do that.

This solution is very easy to set up and configure.

I was not involved with the pricing of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

Download our free Domain Name System (DNS) Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about BlueCat, Palo Alto Networks, EfficientIP, and more!
Updated: September 2022