IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Black Duck OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Black Duck is #6 ranked solution in top Software Composition Analysis (SCA) tools. PeerSpot users give Black Duck an average rating of 8 out of 10. Black Duck is most commonly compared to Snyk: Black Duck vs Snyk. Black Duck is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.

Download the Software Composition Analysis (SCA) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Black Duck?

Black Duck is a comprehensive solution for managing security, license compliance, and code quality risks that come from the use of open source in applications and containers. Named a leader in software composition analysis (SCA) by Forrester, Black Duck gives you unmatched visibility into third-party code, enabling you to control it across your software supply chain and throughout the application life cycle.

Black Duck was previously known as Blackduck Hub, Black Duck Protex, Black Duck Security Checker.

Black Duck Customers

Samsung, Siemens, ScienceLogic, Noser Engineering AG, ClickFox, Dynatrace, CopperLeaf

Black Duck Video

Black Duck Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Black Duck pricing:
  • "Black Duck is more suitable if you require a lot of licensing compliance. For smaller organizations, WhiteSource is better because its pricing policies are not really suitable for huge organizations."
  • "The price is low. It's not an expensive solution."
  • "It is expensive."
  • Black Duck Reviews

CTO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Good knowledge base and management system and helpful for discovering commercial and open-source licenses
    • "The knowledge base and the management system are the most valuable features of Black Duck Hub. It has a very helpful management environment. They offer an editor where we can check the discovered license, which is retrieved from their knowledge base. They have a huge knowledge base build over the years. It gives you some possibilities, such as this license with possibility A could cause a vulnerability issue or a potential breach."
    • "It is a cloud-only solution. In many cases, companies like to evaluate the software, but they're very reluctant to give you the software. It would be great if they could offer an on-prem component that could be used to scan the code and then upload the discovery results to the cloud and get all the information from there, but there is no such possibility. You have to upload the code to the Black Duck cloud system. Of course, they have a strong legal department, and they offer some configuration, but it is never enough. You have to give the code, which is a drawback. In modern designs like Snyk or FOSSA, you don't need to give the code. It requires more native integration with Coverity because they go together technically. You need both Coverity and Black Duck Hub. It would be really helpful for companies working in this space to get a combined offer from the same company. They should provide an option to buy Coverity for an additional fee. Coverity combined with Black Duck Hub will provide a one-step analysis to get everything you need and a unified report. It would be really great to be able to connect Black Duck Hub with Coverity unified reports."

What is our primary use case?

We use Black Duck Hub to discover commercial and open-source licenses and the licensed software used by a company. Whenever a company enters the M&A process, a preliminary step called due diligence is done. A part of it is the technical discovery that includes finding out what software the company is using and whether the software is linked with any open-source software or commercial product for which you have to pay a license. Our main use case is to discover the license and find out if there is an obligation for the paid license. We also check the exposure of the software to open-source libraries. Open source is great, and it is a preferred solution for many companies. Around 90% of the software is now open source, but it is also exposed to vulnerabilities. So, through the dependencies that we were discovering, we were also working on the security exposure of the software product. For this purpose, we use Black Duck Hub.

What is most valuable?

The knowledge base and the management system are the most valuable features of Black Duck Hub. It has a very helpful management environment. They offer an editor where we can check the discovered license, which is retrieved from their knowledge base. They have a huge knowledge base build over the years. It gives you some possibilities, such as this license with possibility A could cause a vulnerability issue or a potential breach.

What needs improvement?

It is a cloud-only solution. In many cases, companies like to evaluate the software, but they're very reluctant to give you the software. It would be great if they could offer an on-prem component that could be used to scan the code and then upload the discovery results to the cloud and get all the information from there, but there is no such possibility. You have to upload the code to the Black Duck cloud system. Of course, they have a strong legal department, and they offer some configuration, but it is never enough. You have to give the code, which is a drawback. In modern designs like Snyk or FOSSA, you don't need to give the code. It requires more native integration with Coverity because they go together technically. You need both Coverity and Black Duck Hub. It would be really helpful for companies working in this space to get a combined offer from the same company. They should provide an option to buy Coverity for an additional fee. Coverity combined with Black Duck Hub will provide a one-step analysis to get everything you need and a unified report. It would be really great to be able to connect Black Duck Hub with Coverity unified reports.

I have been using this solution for two and a half years. I was serving as vice president of engineering and integration in a company in Austin, Texas. I was assigned to acquisitions of companies, more specifically to the technical due diligence that takes place during acquisition. So, we used Black Duck Hub very extensively. We had the biggest ever contract with Synopsys for almost $1 million per year, and we used Black Duck Hub to scan the license for each acquired company. We had a very aggressive acquisition plan of almost one acquisition every 15 days. So, I have accumulated quite a big experience with the Black Duck Hub tool.
    Software Composition Analysis (SCA)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Synopsys, Mend , Snyk and others in Software Composition Analysis (SCA). Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable.

From the company side, it's super scalable, but from the client's side, it's not that scalable. The issue with scalability is that if you have reserved 100 megabytes on Black Duck Hub, and eventually, you like to use 200 or 300 megabytes, the pricing policy requires extending your product permanently. This is really painful because you just need instant access to the higher, bigger space, but you don't want to buy it permanently. They should give the possibility to extend instantly by 50% or 80% more for a week or two weeks. This is quite common, and I have seen many cloud providers that let you pay instantly for a limited time, and you have the possibility to use a little bit more. I have a team of six users who use Black Duck for the discovery, but the results are forwarded to many more things.

In some cases, we have faced delays. We had reported issues, and we got the reply in 15 days or 20 days. Being a big organization, their support is rather slow. They prioritize these issues based on some logic unknown to me. If we have a big problem, we should get priority.

The initial setup is super simple for the user because it is set up on the cloud. You just get an account and upload the code. You don't have to install it. There is no deployment. You just access the service from the cloud.

Black Duck is more suitable if you require a lot of licensing compliance. For smaller organizations, WhiteSource is better because its pricing policies are not really suitable for huge organizations.

I'm also currently testing WhiteSource, Black Duck Hub, FOSSA, Snyk, and a few more solutions. My assignment is to provide an evaluation for a blockchain platform.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be careful with the provisioning of the space that you need. Black Duck has been the key player in the market for many years. It is totally in conjunction with Coverity and forms a suite of security and quality. It is frequently used in M&A or mergers and acquisition cases. It is the top product in the market. I would rate Black Duck a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Former SVP at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good security, but creates a lot of manual work and needs better scanning capabilities
    • "The solution works well on Mac products."
    • "We're not too sure about the extension of the firewall. It never shows up in the Hub."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for compliance. It's part of an audit process.

What is most valuable?

The solution has some pretty good features on offer.

It helps protect our information. It has good security.

The solution works well on Mac products.

What needs improvement?

The solution requires us to manually identify codes and other forms of identification, and this takes up a lot of time. The patterns the solution uses for identification need to be constantly reviewed by our team. There's also no time stamps. Everything needs to be reviewed. It takes double the time to identify things. Features just don't come up in the Hub.

We'd like to be able to authenticate through our two companies.

The Hub doesn't like that we have binary sides, so, once again, we need to check everything, meaning we get double the work.

The scanning aspect of the resolution needs to be improved. Right now, as it is, it's not okay.

It would be ideal if the solution offered features to add one or more components to a file.

We've been using the solution for three years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. We find it pretty reliable in that sense. It doesn't crash or freeze. It doesn't have bugs or glitches.

That said, if a company is moving from any other tool to the Hub, it's not a good idea to move the Hub itself as there are a few bugs in that scenario.

I can't comment on the scalability. I've never personally tried to scale the solution.

Currently, we have 300-400 people using it in our organization.

The technical support has been fine. They help us a lot and we actually find them to be quite helpful. They will alert us when items become available or when new features are coming. We may not know how long it will take, however, we will know they are on the way.

We didn't previously work with a different solution. Black Duck has been our first technology for these types of tasks. As we are using it for an audit, I basically just learned the tool and started applying it to the process. I don't know how to use any other tool for this purpose.

However, the company is currently migrating from another Hub to Black Duck Hub.

The initial setup is unique. We're actually migrating from our current Hub to Black Duck Hub. It has its own specific challenges.

I'm not sure of what the exact pricing is for the solution. That's not something I handle. My company deals with those aspects of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Black Duck.

I'm not sure how the solution is deployed within our organization (whether it's cloud or on-premises).

We've had to migrate our current Hub to Black Duck Hub, which is not efficient for the identification process. We do projects. Due to our identification process, it's not as accurate as we'd like.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Software Composition Analysis (SCA)
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Jyotiprasad RATH - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head: Open Source Program Office at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Feature-rich, with good security compliance
    • "Black Duck is pretty extensive in terms of the scan reserves and the vulnerability exposures. From that perspective, I'm happy with it."
    • "We have been having some issues with the latest releases where we are not able to scan our applications with the help of Black Duck."

What is our primary use case?

I am not working with Black Duck. I manage a team that works with Black Duck.

What is most valuable?

We are happy with this solution.

We have not yet explored all of the functionalities of Black Duck.

Black Duck is pretty extensive in terms of the scan reserves and the vulnerability exposures. From that perspective, I'm happy with it.

What needs improvement?

We have been having some issues with the latest releases where we are not able to scan our applications with the help of Black Duck. I feel that it is just a matter of time and it should be fine.

We have been working with Black Duck for a little more than one year.

It is a very small group of people who are using this solution in our organization.

My team is the open-source program office and we have three people who are using Black Duck and the other teams would be in the range of fewer than 20 people.

We contacted technical support as we were not able to fix this issue ourselves. We are not the primary contact who has procured the product, they are based out of Paris. We are using the license but we have to go through them to contact Black Duck to get their help.

I am not able to share an opinion on the support because we raised the issue only a few weeks back, and this being the summer vacation period, a lot of people were unavailable. I don't know whether that delay is being caused by our counterparts in Paris or if it is really caused by Black Duck.

We have been using other tools, but our IT division acquired Black Duck and we wanted to use it across the organization.

As far as security is concerned, it has always been a priority in our organization. We had different tools that we were using for security, but when it comes to operational risk and compliance and licensing, we didn't have any specific approach before Black Duck.

We are not the primary team to procure this solution. My counterparts in Paris are the only ones who are aware of the pricing.

We are only using a few of the licenses because they had acquired several licenses, but I'm not involved in the pricing and the contract negotiations.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Black Duck an eight out of ten.

Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use with a simple installation process and good stability
    • "The installation is very easy."
    • "Due to the fact that, with our software developer life cycle, we don't need to scan our source code every day or every week. For that reason, we find the cost is too high. We might only actually use it five to ten times a year, which makes it expensive."

What is most valuable?

It's a well-recognized tool in our industry. We have a lot of requests for the product from clients.

The solution is very easy to use.

The stability has been good over the years.

The installation is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Due to the fact that, with our software developer life cycle, we don't need to scan our source code every day or every week. For that reason, we find the cost is too high. We might only actually use it five to ten times a year, which makes it expensive.

We've used the solution for about three or four years at this point.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Not everyone uses the solution at our company. Mainly, just developers use it, and we have about 60 people on it.

Right now, we are considering changing to WhiteSource, however, we still might just keep Black Duck.

The initial setup isn't too difficult. It's a pretty straightforward, simple process. We have only installed it once, and I cannot recall how long the deployment actually took. It was a long time ago.

The cost of the solution is very high. We'd prefer if the product offered a monthly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We are using Black Duck Hub.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly quite happy with the capabilities.

Black Duck is a good, but not an inexpensive tool. If others want stability or a well-respected tool, I would recommend it.

RaviShankar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Product Enginner at Harman International Industries, Incorporated
    Stable, with good vulnerability scanning, and it's priced well

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for software analysis and vulnerability scanning.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the vulnerability scanning, and that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified. It was somewhat complex.

In the next release, I would like to see packet analysis and binary analysis included as features.

We have been using Black Duck for approximately four years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

It's a stable solution.

The number of users on the project depends on the license and the project.

I am from the DevOps team and have not had any contact with technical support. It's not an area that I am a part of.

If I have any issues, I escalate them to our team and they reach out to technical support.

Previously, we did not use any other solution.

The initial setup is complex.

We had some issues finding the report.

The length of deployment is different, it varies on the requirements.

The implementation was done by someone in our company.

The maintenance is done through the vendor.

The price is low. It's not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend to others.

I would rate Black Duck an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Tarun-Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Solution Architect at IBM
    Responsive support, useful vulnerabilities discovery, and high availability
    • "The most valuable feature of Black Duck is the seamless integration to scan our Docker binary files, it provides us all open vulnerabilities, and it ensures a reference point from where it finds the vulnerability is up to date. For example, if there is any new vulnerability found, they are immediately available in the Black Duck. There is no delay in finding the vulnerabilities, they are called out in our code immediately."
    • "Black Duck can improve the time it takes for a scan. Most of the time it's not ideal when integrated with the live DevSecOps pipeline. We have to create a separate job to scan the library because it takes a couple of hours to scan all those libraries. The scanning could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We use Black Duck mainly for the DevSecOps pipeline. For the microservices-based application, we have to deploy Black Duck into the Kubernetes environment.

I have worked for multiple clients across the world, such as the US and Europe in the banking, retail, and energy sectors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Black Duck is the seamless integration to scan our Docker binary files, it provides us all open vulnerabilities, and it ensures a reference point from where it finds the vulnerability is up to date. For example, if there is any new vulnerability found, they are immediately available in the Black Duck. There is no delay in finding the vulnerabilities, they are called out in our code immediately.

What needs improvement?

Black Duck can improve the time it takes for a scan. Most of the time it's not ideal when integrated with the live DevSecOps pipeline. We have to create a separate job to scan the library because it takes a couple of hours to scan all those libraries. The scanning could be faster.

I have been using Black Duck for a few years.

The stability of Black Duck is very good.

Black Duck is scalable.

The technical support from Black Duck is very good.

Black Duck is easy to install. The full implementation took a couple of hours.

I do the implementation of the solution.

We have seen a very high return on investment using Black Duck.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Black Duck a nine out of ten.

Project Lead at ABB Group
    Is able to drill down to the source level, but instead of providing scripts, they should provide functionalities through the UI
    • "It is able to drill down to the source level."
    • "They are giving a lot of APIs and Python scripts for certain functionalities, but instead of using APIs and Python scripts, they should provide these functionalities through the UI. Users should be able to customize and add more fields through the UI. Users should be able to add more fields and generate reports. Currently, they are not giving flexibility in the UI. They're providing a script that simply generates an Excel file or CSV file. There is no flexibility."

What is most valuable?

It is able to drill down to the source level.

What needs improvement?

We expect a lot more features. They have to improve it a lot in terms of the way they do the analysis. At the analysis level, more depth is required.

They are giving a lot of APIs and Python scripts for certain functionalities, but instead of using APIs and Python scripts, they should provide these functionalities through the UI. Users should be able to customize and add more fields through the UI. Users should be able to add more fields and generate reports. Currently, they are not giving flexibility in the UI. They're providing a script that simply generates an Excel file or CSV file. There is no flexibility.

We have been using this solution for a year. We are using its latest version.

It is stable.

Because it is on the cloud, it is scalable. We have quite a significant number of users. Our users might be in the hundreds.

Their support is not so strong. It is fine. It is not bad. If we go a little bit deeper on the technical side, they might not know about it.

We didn't do the setup. They did the setup. My guess is that it is not so easy because it's done in the docker environment. For its maintenance, we need two people.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Download our free Software Composition Analysis (SCA) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Synopsys, Mend , Snyk, and more!
    Updated: June 2022