Bamboo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bamboo is the #7 ranked solution in top Build Automation tools. PeerSpot users give Bamboo an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Bamboo is most commonly compared to GitLab: Bamboo vs GitLab. Bamboo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Bamboo?
Bamboo is a continuous integration and delivery tool that ties automated builds, tests and releases together in a single workflow. It works great alongside JIRA and Stash providing a fully traceable deployment pipeline.
Bamboo Customers
Neocleus, MuleSoft, Interspire
Bamboo Video

Bamboo Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Bamboo pricing:
  • "The server products for small teams used to offer excellent pricing. However, Atlassian has since changed the offering and the pricing is more expensive. I do still think the solution offers good value for money."
  • "If Bamboo could provide more flexibility on pricing, that would help. On the agent side, if you want to increase the number of agents it should be less expensive. If they can provide some better pricing model, it will help, whether we are going to use it or are already using it."
  • "There is a subscription required to use Bamboo."
  • Bamboo Reviews

Annie Ioceva - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Product at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    Data solution that integrates with Jira and Bitbucket for the convenient deployment of apps
    • "The most useful feature of Bamboo is its integration with other solutions such as Jira and BitBucket, also offered by Atlassian. It is easier to use tools all provided by one vendor."
    • "Scalability depends on the use case. If it is really a big customer with a lot of tests, it might not be a scalable option for them."

What is our primary use case?

We use Bamboo to deploy our apps to local test servers and then to production.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are considering moving to a cloud solution and to use Bitbucket pipeline because of the features it offers. From a hosting perspective, it's easier to make use of solutions that are hosted in the cloud rather than to maintain the tool on-premise. This is not feasible with Bamboo.

A feature I would like to see added is the integration with quality assurance reports when you run automated tests such as a Selenium test. It would be great to have the results visualised to understand the quality of a build. It is possible to do this manually but it requires a lot of configuration.

One of our enterprise customers were not satisfied with the scalability of the solution. This customer wanted to develop a financial system and needed to run an enormous amount of tests automatically which resulted in some problems.

Build Automation
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, Jenkins, JetBrains and others in Build Automation. Updated: November 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In some countries, the local or technical support for some solutions from Atlassian is not present. You need to go to the community to write your question or write a ticket to Atlassian to access their support team.

Their response is not always very useful. Some of the questions they have answered quickly and correctly; other questions have taken longer.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward but we are an IT company so did this easily with the resources we have.

The server products for small teams used to offer excellent pricing. However, Atlassian has since changed the offering and the pricing is more expensive. I do still think the solution offers good value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those investigating this solution to start small with a step-by-step approach and adapt as their experience grows. I would suggest that you start with the build, and once you master the build, focus on deployment. It is important to consider whether an on-premise or cloud solution is best suited before getting started.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: PARTNER
    Sanjeeb Pandey - PeerSpot reviewer
    DevOps Architect/Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Useful segregated application building, reliable, and good support
    • "In Bamboo, build and deployment have been segregated. The build plan and deployment plan are different. When comparing Bamboo to other solutions, the native feature you will not find in another tool, such as Jenkins. They have segregated the build and deployment plan. This means, building the application and deploying it are two separate parts in Bamboo, they have segregated it apart from the UI. This makes the tool a bit better compared to other tools."
    • "Bamboo can improve by providing more with scripting, such as they have with Jenkins. Bamboo is more UI-driven at this time, Jenkins is going in that direction too."

What is our primary use case?

Bamboo is used for different Java and Angular applications.

What is most valuable?

In Bamboo, build and deployment have been segregated. The build plan and deployment plan are different. When comparing Bamboo to other solutions, the native feature you will not find in another tool, such as Jenkins. They have segregated the build and deployment plan. This means, building the application and deploying it are two separate parts in Bamboo, they have segregated it apart from the UI. This makes the tool a bit better compared to other tools.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Bamboo for approximately five years.

Bamboo has been stable in our experience.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 15 people using this solution in my organization.

We have escalated some questions to the Atlassian support team. They have a good team for support.

I would rate the technical support of Bamboo a four out of five.

If we compare the initial setup of Bamboo's with Jenkins, Jenkins's setup is easier. Bamboo comes with more configuration when you start setting it up. However, Bamboo is more of an enterprise tool as compared to Jenkins because it supports different databases. You can configure Bamboo with MySQL, Oracle, or any database. This is why the setup, requires more configuration, but the setup is straightforward. It is not that complex, once a person has done it they become aware of it and can do it again with less trouble.

We did the implementation of the solution ourselves.

We have a team that does the maintenance of the solution.

If Bamboo could provide more flexibility on pricing, that would help. On the agent side, if you want to increase the number of agents it should be less expensive. If they can provide some better pricing model, it will help, whether we are going to use it or are already using it.

We have a standard license to use the solution. There can be some additional cost if we use some commercial plugins.

I have evaluated other solutions such as, Jenkins.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Bamboo an eight out of ten.

Build Automation
    November 2022
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Fairly stable, scalable, and does CI pipeline well, but requires a lot of integration and not easy to use and learn
    • "It can do the CI pipeline well."
    • "It should be much easier to use. It shouldn't require a lot of reading to be able to use it. It should have just two or three screens rather than hundreds of screens requiring a lot of clicking. It also requires a lot of integration. It has a steep learning curve. It takes a lot of time to understand and put in the data. There is also no proper training."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to push and pull containers and other data via CI/CD pipeline.

How has it helped my organization?

It didn't help me as such. It was just a part of the project.

What is most valuable?

It can do the CI pipeline well.

What needs improvement?

It should be much easier to use. It shouldn't require a lot of reading to be able to use it. It should have just two or three screens rather than hundreds of screens requiring a lot of clicking. It also requires a lot of integration.

It has a steep learning curve. It takes a lot of time to understand and put in the data. There is also no proper training.

I have been using this solution for three months.

It has a steep learning curve, but it is fairly stable.

Based on my understanding, it is scalable.

There is limited technical support.

Its initial setup is complex.

We have a separate team that takes care of it.

What other advice do I have?

I am not completely satisfied with this solution. It performs one function well, but it requires so much integration. I would advise others to use a better-integrated system rather than Bamboo. We'll be moving to XebiaLabs, now known as Digital.ai, for production and other environments. XebiaLabs is a bit better than Bamboo in some aspects.

I would rate Bamboo a six out of ten. It is okay to use, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Hybrid Cloud
    BalakrishnanS - PeerSpot reviewer
    Engeener at Dell EMC
    Reliable, great technical support, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Bamboo is an automation tool.

What needs improvement?

Bamboo is a bit complicated to use compared to other solutions, such as GitLab. You have to integrate different actions that are difficult that could be made easier.

I have been using Bamboo for approximately eight months.

Bamboo has been stable.

In my experience Bamboo is scalable.

I work for an insurance company and our whole company uses Bamboo.

The technical support provided by Atlassian is very good.

I have previously used Gitlab.

There is a subscription required to use Bamboo.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Bamboo an eight out of ten.