IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Azure Stack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Stack is #1 ranked solution in top Software Defined Data Center vendors and top Hybrid Cloud Computing Platforms. PeerSpot users give Azure Stack an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Azure Stack is most commonly compared to VMware Cloud Foundation: Azure Stack vs VMware Cloud Foundation. Azure Stack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
Azure Stack Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Stack Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Azure Stack?
Azure Stack Customers

Weblink, Fathym, Sage, CFD Support Ltd, The UberCloud Inc.

Azure Stack Video

Archived Azure Stack Reviews (more than two years old)

Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Improves security, as we are able to create private virtual networks with their own rules and policies
  • "It is helpful from a security point of view because we can create our own isolated, private environments that contain virtual networks, and we can put security rules in place."
  • "Azure Messaging services are in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use a lot of services in Azure.  I have worked with completely isolated environments, building infrastructure from scratch using Terraform, Chef, Puppet, and other such tools.

What is most valuable?

The Platform as a Service (Paas) environment is the most valuable feature.

The Web App service is very valuable.

It is helpful from a security point of view because we can create our own isolated, private environments that contain virtual networks, and we can put security rules in place. We can also specify application rules, which is something that is also useful.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of services in Azure that are not stable.

Azure Messaging services are in need of improvement.

I would like to see better monitoring capability, as we have in Dynatrace and other APM tools. The functionality is there, but it is not as detailed as it is in other tools.

I have about three years of experience with Azure, on and off.

Azure Stack
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Azure Stack. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Azure Stack is to start looking into DevOps early. There are a lot of things that can be done using the portal, and people tend to follow this process because it is easy. It's true that this approach may get things done fast, but it will only get you so far. Working with the DevOps capabilities, such as automation with Terraform, should be done sooner rather than later.

Every cloud has its pros and cons.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward to set up and integrates well with other products, but it is not production-ready without a lot of work
  • "The most valuable features are the control and flexibility that we have, where we can build our own solutions from scratch."
  • "It does not give you a complete, production-ready setup."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Azure Stack is one of the products that we implement for our clients. One of our clients is using it as an IaaS, where they have control over the infrastructure.

As we learn more about this product, security-wise, and about the tools that are available, we can apply this to what our customers are looking for.

What is most valuable?

Azure Stack integrates well with other tools.

There are documentation and tools available for use, and they are good.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems is that systems still have to be developed and as things move forward, we have to build a lot of our Azure Stack solutions from scratch. It does not give you a complete, production-ready setup.

We are still exploring Azure Stack and are in the requirement gathering phase.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is not complex.

We have an in-house team for deployment. We have different internal teams and generally do not rely on third-party vendors.

We are satisfied with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to first look at the people within the community. They have provided details about their experience and it's a good place to start understanding and analyzing, before beginning the implementation. It will give you an idea as to costs, as well as how to integrate with your environment.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Azure Stack
August 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ibnu Sina - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder at PT. Taruwara Digital Teknologi
Powerful OCR functionality on a stable platform
  • "The most valuable feature is the OCR, which I use for reading PDFs."
  • "The price of the OCR could be more competitive with Google."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the Azure Stack for Robotic Process Automation (RPA). Basically, I use the OCR from Microsoft, which is the reason for using Azure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the OCR, which I use for reading PDFs.

What needs improvement?

The price of the OCR could be more competitive with Google.

I have been using the Azure stack for about four months.

I have had no issues with stability.

My rating for scalability would be an eight out of ten. I just have not used it long enough to rate it higher than that.

I have not yet needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I did not need help with deployment and we have an in-house team for maintenance.

The price of using Azure Stack for OCR is more expensive than using OCR by Google.

I have tested many different OCRs, including one from Google Cloud, and this is one of the best that I have ever seen.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to start small. As you gain experience and confidence with the platform, you can expand to larger tasks.

Exec Manager IT Security & Risk at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Has good stability and an easy setup
  • "The stability is good. We haven't had any issues with the viability or scalability. It's been good so far."
  • "As opposed to AWS, Azure is a costly solution. It's on par with AWS more than anything else."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is for accessing central records and updating the backend system.

What needs improvement?

When you compare AWS to Azure adding on all the security components you require to protect your application and data AWS is by far the cheaper alternative, like the cost of Defender and ATPm, MCAS, ADFS, etc.

The stability is good. We haven't had any issues with the viability or scalability. It's been good so far.

The initial setup was straightforward. We have a business unit that specializes in this and they set it up from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

My only comment would be to look at your use case and just weigh up both AWS and Azure to see which one best suits your use case and your budget. If you go with Microsoft Azure and you use all the security tools and everything that Azure offers, it will be an expensive proposition. Whereas AWS gives you all the security tools but it's less expensive. They both offer a similar service. It's just the cost differential.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a perfect ten because of the price.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
OluwaseunOnabanjo - PeerSpot reviewer
CyberSecurity Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with a straightforward setup and fair pricing
  • "The setup is very straightforward and it's quite stable."
  • "The solution could use more training materials to help users understand how to use the product effectively. Online training would also be a beneficial addition to the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for everything from VM storage to networking to app services.

What is most valuable?

We use almost every aspect of the solution. Overall, it's quite a valuable product for our organization.

The setup is very straightforward and it's quite stable.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any area in which the solution is currently lacking.

I've been using the solution for about five years.

The solution is quite stable. We've never faced any issues so far.

The scalability potential of the solution is very good.

The technical support has been good so far. We have been satisfied with the level of service they've provided to us. They've always answered our questions, and, depending on the severity of the issue, they've been able to resolve things quite quickly.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

We've found the initial setup to be quite straightforward and simple to execute.

The pricing of the solution is quite fair. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise those who don't want to spend money on hardware to try the solution out. I'd recommend it to others.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

MarinusHoogendijk - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Partner at Data Beyond
Intuitive and user-friendly dashboarding and management reporting features
  • "The best thing about this product is that it is user-friendly and intuitive."
  • "The setup for Azure becomes more complex when you have multiple users and multiple organizations using the same solution, but this is to be expected."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure primarily for sales management. Specifically, we use it to help us manage the delivery of digital solutions that we provide to clients.

We also use it for our own internal accounting, tracking our CRM document management, and we have developed different tailor-made solutions through which we provide additional services to our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to creatively integrate solutions easily.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about this product is that it is user-friendly and intuitive. That is true, especially for dashboarding and management reporting. The low code development tooling that they provide allows us to do rapid development. They also have some interesting features for self-learning, artificial intelligence, and machine learning.

It is a complete stack that helps us to easily link various components together so that the whole component-based development connects to other open-source components. This helps make the rapid development of general solutions possible.

What needs improvement?

As far as what we would like to see added, there are no burning issues right now. If we are looking for certain areas of improvement and we want to have specific features or functions, the flexibility of the environment allows us to easily add the functionality we want.

There are always things that you have to find out for yourself. That creates complexity. Could Microsoft make the product easier to use? Probably by adding more scenarios, but Microsoft already has guidelines on when to use what feature. In the area of training, Microsoft already offers a lot of opportunities to further your skills with its products. These resources make it possible to get started quickly. The product is never going to do your learning for you in that way.

I do not have any recommendations as to how the product should be enhanced as some of that is the user's responsibility and opportunity.

I have been using Azure for one and a half years now. That was half a year after we originally embarked on using the Microsoft suite.

This product is stable. I would say 'yes' to that twice over.

So far we have not found any problems with scalability. Azure Stack was easily extendable. We started with a small cloud environment, we had to extend it over time and it grows as we do.

Our client base is growing rapidly. We are now above a hundred clients and on average there are two to three users per client.

I have not been in touch with technical support myself but other people in our organization have. More or less, I think they were satisfied with the tech support services.

For most users, the support experience depends on the subscription you have and on experience. We have some experience with Microsoft Stack people within our network. That makes a big difference. Because of that we hardly ever really need to use technical support services.

The setup for Azure becomes more complex when you have multiple users. When you have multiple organizations, with multiple users working or using the same solution, data storage needs to be very well separated because of privacy. That is a piece of complexity that is embedded in the way we provide our services. There is no link to Microsoft or any software provider service. We defined how to make it work that way.

What other advice do I have?

Given the current direction and strategy of Microsoft, I think Azure Stack is one of the most comprehensive solution platforms available today.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight of ten. In my case, there really is very little Microsoft can do to make the score better. I could really never give a software product a perfect score. There is always something that can be improved. If you work in a flexible, dynamic environment, you have to make choices in terms of how to design things. You have to decide which additional components to use or incorporate, or to not use what are considered standard features that most other people use. Users' choices will be different depending on their needs, application, and adaptation.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very easy to learn and apply to other things

What is our primary use case?

We are using Azure Stack for the indicators and automation build.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to learn and apply to other things.

What needs improvement?

If they could integrate with Jira, this would be very useful for someone using Jira and TFS. This would make it easier to use.

I have been using the solution for the past year.

There are some minor issues or bugs with it that I know are there.

I have not contacted the technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward, not complex.

It took a week to deploy this solution.

I deployed the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

It is very good. I would rate the solution an eight (out of 10).

Private Cloud
Systems Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy services and has good online support
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment for services such as SSH, creating a web site, and Azure billing services to measure the consumption of resources."
  • "I would like to see better support for containers."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Microsoft Azure Stack Development Kit (ASDK) in an evaluation environment issued by Microsoft, and not in a production environment. It is deployed within a VM on top of the Azure public cloud.

The goal of our evaluation is to see if it is sufficient to support becoming a cloud provider for companies in our local market.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better support for containers.

Containers and the IoT hub that exists in Azure Stack should be usable on-premises.

I am currently evaluating Azure Stack and have been testing it for one week.

I cannot really tell what the stability is like because I am only using the Azure Stack in an evaluation environment. I have just now put it under a heavy workload to test whether it is stable enough for our production environment.

I am the only person who is using this solution in my company, as I test the features that I think we will need.

I have not used technical support for this solution. However, I have found with other Microsoft products, their support is very helpful and was able to solve my problems.

Azure Stack is the first solution of this type that I am testing.

The initial setup started in a straightforward manner, but I faced some issues during the deployment. I was able to solve these problems with the information that I found on the Microsoft website when I searched for the errors using Google. Once I followed the steps the solution seems to be fine.

I deployed this solution on my own, using the Microsft website as a reference.

I plan to test VMware vRealize, but I have not done it yet.

What other advice do I have?

I think that this is a good tool for cloud operating systems.

Microsoft Azure
Pre-Sales Engineering Manager - Cloud Computing at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cost-effective solution that can be deployed on-prem or on the cloud
  • "It's a good and cost effective solution for any organization. We can deploy the tech solution on premises and also in the cloud."
  • "Customers need to consider the Disaster Recovery. Microsoft tech is only providing support to Azure."

What is our primary use case?

It's a good and cost-effective solution for any organization. We can deploy the tech solution on-premises and also in the cloud.

What needs improvement?

The reporting for the interim monitoring purpose could be improved. Right now Windows Admin Center is on the level with Victor Server 2019. But we need to work on the same tool, so we provide them some code features on the same tool. It's very useful for any organization and an administrator.

Additionally, customers need to consider Disaster Recovery. Microsoft tech is only providing support to Azure. We would like to see it available for other services and solutions on the cloud, too, as well as a solution for Oracle backup.

I have been using Azure Stack for three years.

There is one bug we are facing now. In one of the organizations in which we have deployed Azure, when we are moving the VM from node A to node B, sometimes it gets stuck. We already raised the case with Microsoft. They are working on it with us. We involved the hardware and software teams from Microsoft. They gave us a solution and now the issue is under observation.

In terms of scalability, there is a calculator available and we can convert the scalability with it.

Because a chain solution was introduced by Nutanix to a Moscow based organization, Microsoft wants to introduce the same solution, but with better features including Microsoft 2019. So 110%, because some are using the Microsoft Azure tech right now in India.

There are about 10 - 15,000 users. They are providing the data production manager, data backup and are showing the customer that we can do a backup on GP back in 60 seconds. In Microsoft Azure, the only option is a little data backup which we need to buy through some third party tool to take a backup of our VM. Otherwise, we need to take a subscription on our Azure to make a side recovery for the VR purpose or the higher rating purpose. A good figure is also real time monitoring. But with Microsoft Azure Suite, the monitoring tool is a little bit weak.

I am satisfied with Microsoft customer service, they provided us with a good solution.

The initial setup was really simple. We did not face any difficulty when we deployed the SAP solution with the Microsoft SA.

My team and I did the deployment.

If we are trying to deploy the Microsoft suite, first of all, we need to buy the data center licenses. Datacenter licenses are only used for verification solutions. Using that as a solution, we can declare an unlimited number of four VMs on the hardware. I spent a contribution to the hardware, the code, and the processes, and that all depends on the hardware architecture.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 - 10, I can give Microsoft Azure Stack a 9.

Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is stable and effective and large companies will definitely benefit from it
  • "The initial setup is very, very simple."
  • "I think the monitoring tools needs some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Azure Stack is for a customer that's an ISP. They supply services to their clients where they offer the Azure Stack capability.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing of Azure Stack is the means of giving my customers or my clients the capability of using Microsoft products on a public or a private cloud, but not in the Microsoft public cloud. So it is an on-premise private cloud, but it's like being on the public cloud.

I like the ease of making use of Microsoft products, and instead of being directly connected to Microsoft using My Clients, keeping them the same kinds of values.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is always a hot topic, so the pricing can always improve. And I'm not too sure if the Microsoft technical capabilities are very good because I don't make use of it. So, for me personally, pricing would probably be the only factor that needs to improve.

I also think the monitoring tools needs some improvement.

The program is very stable.

I think the scalability is pretty good because from an IP point of view we can scale this solution to become very massive. You can start with the full node and go to 60 or 80 nodes very easily. So the scalability is very good.

The initial setup is very, very simple because it comes fully integrated from HP with Microsoft integration. That makes the setup very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommended this solution to others, especially for large companies, because I think it's a wonderful solution. It will also work great for people that has multiple companies inside the group. One should use Azure Stack as an on-premise private cloud solution because it is a very effective solution.

On a scale of one to ten, this solution earns a good eight. In the next version I would like to see an improvement in the monitoring tools.

R&D Operations Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable, stable solution with a wide variety of use cases
  • "The scalability of the solution is good. We have hundreds of users internally and thousands of users externally. We do plan to increase usage shortly."
  • "Technical support is very poor. When we meet Microsoft in the coming weeks to discuss expansion, we'll be speaking to them directly about this."

What is our primary use case?

There are multiple use cases for us in regards to this solution, including IoT, DevOps, storage, analytics, and many, many other scenarios.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for our periodic builds, and for our source control.

What is most valuable?

The IoT, DevOps, microservices, micro functions, and storage are all valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more open to allowing access to other tools and environments.

Technical support also needs a lot of improvement.

I've been using the solution since 2012.

The solution is pretty stable.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have hundreds of users internally and thousands of users externally. We do plan to increase usage shortly.

Previously, we used AWS.

The initial setup was quite a long time ago, so I don't remember the details of the implementation.

We received some help with the implementation from Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would advise others considering implementing the solution to ensure they understand the solution to a high degree, as they won't get much help from technical support if they have questions.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

‎VP Product Management at Telkomtelstra
User
The cost of Azure Stack is much cheaper than VCE

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed cloud service provider and provide Azure hybrid cloud services. We operate Azure Stack on our data center and resell Azure publicly.

How has it helped my organization?

Beside providing to our customers, we use Azure Stack for internal use as well. We are gradually migrating our internal application from VCE to Azure Stack because the cost of Azure Stack is much cheaper than VCE.

What is most valuable?

• The PaaS that we use as our web service.
  • IaaS (VMs)
  • SQL service
  • Development
  • Media service
  • Firewall

What needs improvement?

Azure Stack is relatively new and lacks the features compared to public Azure. Hopefully, it will provide more core on the VM and support multi-scale units.

Less than one year.
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a cloud service provider and provide Azure hybrid cloud services on our data center.