Azure Stack OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Stack is the #1 ranked solution in top Software Defined Data Center vendors and top Hybrid Cloud Computing Platforms. PeerSpot users give Azure Stack an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Azure Stack is most commonly compared to VMware Cloud Foundation: Azure Stack vs VMware Cloud Foundation. Azure Stack is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
Azure Stack Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Stack Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Azure Stack?
Azure Stack Customers

Weblink, Fathym, Sage, CFD Support Ltd, The UberCloud Inc.

Azure Stack Video

Azure Stack Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Stack pricing:
  • "The pricing is excellent with several options to save you time and money."
  • "Subscription model customers need not make large expenditures on upfront purchasing."
  • "Azure has a subscription version. It has a pay-as-you-go subscription with a subscription ID. So, you have your particular subscription with an enterprise agreement. There is a dev-type subscription for development and testing. The pricing seems pretty reasonable. The pricing could be per resource."
  • "I don't have a specific feature, my customers use all of the features that are available and the entire stack."
  • "In terms of pricing, my customers believe AWS is slightly more reasonably priced than Azure."
  • "The solution saves us money but is more costly than other products such as AWS."
  • Azure Stack Reviews

Oan-Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Architecture and DevOps at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Globally scalable, highly stable, savings on existing licenses
    • "We have found the Kubernetes version is one of the key components which we are using heavily."
    • "I would like to see the AI side come to one hundred percent in the near future."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are computing, data platform along with migrating event-driven architecture. We use a lot of data bricks and data components. From the integration to data, and from the application deployment perspective to the platform as a service.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure Stack enhanced the productivity from the developers to testers to infrastructure engineers in the following way:

* Developers and the QA team focused on delivering business values rather than thinking about the build and deployment

* The infrastructure team focused more on automating the infra-build pipelines for different environments in no time

* Azure Pipelines automated 80% of manual efforts on both the Development and Infra front.

What is most valuable?

We have found the Kubernetes version is one of the key components which we are using heavily.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the AI side come to one hundred percent in the near future. I would love to see a more reliable SAP improved.

Azure Stack
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Azure Stack. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with Azure Stack for the past seven years.

Azure Stack is highly stable across the globe from my experience.

Azure Stack is extremely scalable across the globe.

One of the best parts of technical support is they are really on top of all the issues. Once an incident has been raised, their team will call our technical engineers and start supporting them immediately. This is one of the major reasons why I have used Azure Stack. Azure Cloud is becoming so popular because in the end, businesses need assurance and they are always on top of it.

We were using an on-premise solution, but you know that an on-premise solution is not scalable with a cloud-based environment.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It is a lean, shallow learning curve. They can quickly grasp it and can start working on deployment. The deployment was pretty smooth because we set up the CI/CD pipeline and Azure pipeline, which automatically builds the solution. It does the unit test and performance test, and if everything goes well, it is scheduling the deployments for production quickly.

We have both in-house and third-party teams, depending on the requirements and complexity of the deployment.

The licensing is pay-as-you-go, and Azure also provides a bring-your-own-license. I believe that is a good option if anyone is looking at it and they already have a license. They can get the infrastructure and the provision in a very short time and it will save the existing licenses.

Different applications will have different licensing needs. It depends on which tool you use. You will then need to secure that license.

We evaluated AWS and Google. It depends on the company and what the best fit is for the organization. If companies have similar requirements, they can follow us, or if they have a different requirement, I believe that Google or AWS might fit their needs as well.

What other advice do I have?

I think that anybody who wants to move on to Azure Stack, needs to assess their requirements, and what business needs they have. I would rate Azure Stack an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Solutions Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, scalable and easy to install and deploy
    • "The solution is certainly stable."
    • "I would like to see better network integration."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is geared towards customers with large Microsoft footprints, in which it is very advanced. There is tight integration in respect of Microsoft workloads and extremely intelligent performance. Customers can use it to run SQL Server, Active Directory, VDI, Windows Server and other workloads. Many users use it for their dynamics, although I am not aware of a lot of deployments with SAP HANA. One who has a 60 or 70 percent footprint in the data center with Microsoft can save a lot.

What is most valuable?

Azure Stack is a really good product when it comes to the functionality and the Azure Stack offer. Its most attractive feature is the licensing. The virtualization is in-built and free and it offers almost all the functionalities someone looks for from the Azure platform.

Now that the solution is transitioning to a hybrid cloud approach, the licensing is not determined by the number of instances and this can result in huge savings.

A subscription model customer will not need to do much up front purchasing. He can obtain all the up to date features offered on public cloud and grow at the rate he feels is best, with the attendant savings.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better network integration.

While they are working on security, several things can be brought in on the networking side, such as extending to networks stretching in between data centers. These are absent at the moment. It would be good to have a single control plane for the networking.

I have around two years of experience with Azure Stack.

The solution is certainly stable.

The solution is definitely scalable.

Installation is straightforward and not very involved. It can even be automated.

The deployment was straightforward and really nice. While creating a system and configuring a cluster is possible, it would be really beneficial to do this in the reverse, since the cluster can be pushed in using the hardware management ID.

While deployment is straightforward, it would require a good skill set with Microsoft technologies and a certain amount of networking knowledge to handle any trouble which may arise.

The licensing is one of the solution's most attractive features.

A customer must purchase the software needed for Microsoft support, if he wishes to have this. This would incur a monthly fee. But, the upcoming Azure Stack HCl, which is hybrid cloud, does not involve an upfront purchase, only a subscription-based fee.

What other advice do I have?

I work with Lenovo as a consultant, which means I handle deployment for others.

We have a handlful of customers, most of whom are using Microsoft products, but some of whom use Windows. Many go with the Azure Stack solution.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Azure Stack as an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Azure Stack
    December 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Chetan Jayatheertha - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Devops Engineer at ITC Infotech
    MSP
    User-friendly, easy accessibility of resources, and good support
    • "The beauty of Azure is that most of the features are easily accessible. It is user-friendly. Almost all resources in Azure are very easily accessible. For example, you can access a virtual machine, and you can scale it up. You can go ahead with different infrastructure-as-a-service in Azure for the platform or for the cloud. Different levels of development could be done using it."
    • "It should be improved in terms of integrations. It could be integrated more with external tools."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in our company and the customer's company as well. So, it works on both sides. For certain development environments, we need to build our internal environment, and we need it for that. Similarly, we need to build the production environment for the customer, and we use it for that.

What is most valuable?

The beauty of Azure is that most of the features are easily accessible. It is user-friendly. Almost all resources in Azure are very easily accessible. For example, you can access a virtual machine, and you can scale it up. You can go ahead with different infrastructure-as-a-service in Azure for the platform or for the cloud. Different levels of development could be done using it.

What needs improvement?

It should be improved in terms of integrations. It could be integrated more with external tools.

We have Azure Purview for governance, but that is for data governance. For code governance, we have to use SonarQube or WhiteSource for vulnerabilities and license management. We would like to have a native code compliance tool.

I have been working with this solution for three years.

It is absolutely stable.

It is scalable. The resources in Azure are scalable for a smooth transaction.

Their technical support is very good. They are always easily available when we need them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have been working with different automation tools such as Jenkins. Jenkins is a good tool to start with. Being a DevOps person, I had to go with Azure ADO and Azure DevOps, which basically gives you the view of how DevOps actually works.

It is easy to set up. It takes you minutes to set it up.

Azure has a subscription version. It has a pay-as-you-go subscription with a subscription ID. So, you have your particular subscription with an enterprise agreement. There is a dev-type subscription for development and testing.

The pricing seems pretty reasonable. The pricing could be per resource. For example, you have Databricks, Data Factory, Scaled DB, and Cosmos. You have everything in Azure. They have an Azure pricing calculator that you can use to check the price of every resource. It gives you a proper cost estimation. You can compare the cost and then go for the best resource for your project.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise others to implement it as an infrastructure service only because you get to learn more. You get to explore the code more and know different steps. You can automate more and better. You can get automation done on top of what is already there, which could lead to another invention.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Robert Urech - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director for Business Development at LIVING CONSULTORIA
    It's good for transitioning from an on-premise or hybrid setup to the cloud
    • "Azure Stack integrates well with Microsoft. It's also good for transitioning from an on-premise or hybrid setup to the cloud. It's seamless."
    • "Microsoft is changing the Azure Stack interface all the time, so it's sometimes hard to find the functionality or the service you're looking for. A feature was in one place and now it has moved somewhere else."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Stack primarily for hosting customer applications .NET applications. We use mainly App Service, Blob Storage, and Cognitive Services.

We develop applications on the Microsoft platform, infrastructure, and servers. Our servers are Windows, and we use the .NET framework and C# programming language. Everything is easier in Azure.

What is most valuable?

Azure Stack integrates well with Microsoft. It's also good for transitioning from an on-premise or hybrid setup to the cloud. It's seamless.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft is changing the Azure Stack interface all the time, so it's sometimes hard to find the functionality or the service you're looking for. A feature was in one place and now it has moved somewhere else.

It's because the product is quickly evolving, so they're changing constantly. I understand, but it's difficult to find things when we don't use Azure every day. It's not a big issue.

We've been using Azure Stack for seven or eight years.

Azure Stack is highly stable.

We have had a good experience with scalability. Azure Stack's replication is well-written. It's flexible. For example, you can scale it differently on workdays and weekends to reduce operating costs. We automatically reduce the sizing of the solution. We stop some services like VMs on the weekends if we can. Scaling up and stopping resources is automated based on a set schedule. This is useful.

Microsoft support is very good.

We switched from AWS to Azure. The main issues were costs and some bad experiences with temporary disks. This was a long time ago, so I cannot say if AWS is currently better or worse than Azure.

Azure Stack is also in the cloud, so it's easy. We also use the Internet Information Server. If you use the node server, it's going to be local and based on the technology you're using. We can choose between one or the other.

For example, we use Mongo Atlas service on Azure and on-premises. Both use the MongoDB Atlas service. It is architecture bound, so you have the choice of going through Azure or the on-premise solution because both have advantages.

Azure is relatively expensive, but on the other hand, you get excellent support, stability, and security, so I think it's worth it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Stack nine out of 10. It is a great tool if the technology you use is a Microsoft-based stack because Azure is Microsoft's cloud provider.

Crispus  Ombogo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Onelife consultants ltd
    Reseller
    Good technical support, feature-rich, and performs well
      • "I believe the only room for improvement is that I am based in Nairobi, if it has even a local node for Azure, I believe most customers will prefer that to reduce latencies and everything else when using the Azure Stack."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I believe the only room for improvement is that I am based in Nairobi, if it has even a local node for Azure, I believe most customers will prefer that to reduce latencies and everything else when using the Azure Stack. They'll be better off if they can set up a local node in Nairobi, Kenya.

There are local things specific to the Kenya market, which are integrated into local development platforms available in Kenya, which would be helpful if it could be integrated with Azure Stack. We have a solution called M-Pessa, for example. If that can be done on a regular basis, I believe it is time to look for customers who want to use that channel today.

I have been working with Azure Stack for six years.

Azure Stack is a stable product.

Azure Stack is a scalable solution.

Technical support is okay. My customers have not complained about the technical support.

I actually work for an integrator company that specializes in UiPath. I primarily use UiPath, but I also use Automation Anywhere and Microsoft Power Automate.

We use Power Automate, but we also use Power BI for dashboard visualization. Then there's the standard Office 365, and we do have customers who use Azure.

I would say the initial setup is medium. It all depends on who is using it, but most customers rate it as a medium. It's not easy, but it's also not difficult. It's average. It's a medium.

In terms of pricing, my customers believe AWS is slightly more reasonably priced than Azure. They believe it is significantly less expensive than what Azure offers. It is simply a matter of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to conduct a thorough assessment of the types of applications they want to host on Azure Stack before beginning the migration process. They must be absolutely certain. Then there are all kinds of local policies, security policies, on migrating data into the Cloud, to put it mildly. They should be on the lookout for such things. So, first and foremost, a proper assessment of what types of applications should be moved entirely to Azure Stack. Then, examine the policies, security policies, and cybersecurity that are associated with all of that.

I would rate Azure Stack an eight out of ten.

Head of Digital Engineering at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Setup is easy but scaling from one plan to another is challenging
      • "The solution pairs well with other MS services and saves us a lot of money."
      • "Overall support needs improvement because they are not agile across services."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to host and run an application in the cloud. We have 25,000 customers who use our application.

What is most valuable?

The solution pairs well with other MS services and saves us a lot of money.

What needs improvement?

Overall support needs improvement because they are not agile across services.

I have been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

The word scalability is a misnomer. It is generally said that the cloud has unlimited scalability but that is where we face challenges. When we try to scale the system from one plan to another, our DevOps engineer reports that the system is failing. We have reached out to Microsoft but they have been unable to solve our specific issue so scalability is challenging.

We had issues scaling from one plan to another and reached out to support. Technical support is not agile across services and has been unable to solve our issue.

Support is rated a five out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The setup is easy with no challenges but upgrades are complex. We have experienced challenges when upgrading components from one plan to another plan. Setup does not have these challenges.

We implemented the solution in-house. We slowly started utilizing services but total deployment did not take much time.

Ongoing maintenance is not a challenge.

So far, we have not measured ROI.

The solution saves us money but is more costly than other products such as AWS. We have been paying 10 crores for our Azure services.

We are thinking of moving from Azure to AWS because there are issues scaling the suite of products, support is not optimum, and the solution is more costly than AWS products.

What other advice do I have?

Before choosing the solution or AWS, it is important to reach out to relevant engagement or sales teams to get product clarity.

I rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
      Costi Neacsu - PeerSpot reviewer
      Commercial Director at BinBox Global Services
      Best Hybrid solution, Low latency, Data sovereignty, security, and compliance, Modern application development
      • "Azure Stack is stable."
      • "It would be great if Azure Stack would enable VDI creation and positive and negative artificial intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

I recommend Azure Stack 100% for hybrid cases, dev & test, banking, financial (banking, insurance) , healthcare, public sector.

Also, The assessments include the following standards:

PCI-DSS addresses the payment card industry.

CSA Cloud Control Matrix is a comprehensive mapping across multiple standards, including FedRAMP Moderate, ISO27001, HIPAA, HITRUST, ITAR, NIST SP800-53, and others.

FedRAMP High for government customers.

The compliance documentation can be found on the Microsoft Service Trust Portal. The compliance guides are a protected resource and require you to sign in with your Azure cloud service credentials.

How has it helped my organization?

The main pillars, on which Binbox is now developing, are Cloud Solutions (public, private and hybrid Cloud) using Azure and our DataCenters (built on state-of-the-art technology), Microsoft 365 and Binbox Managed Services (including 24/7/365 support). These being said, the Azure stack has come to complete our service portfolio like a glove.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features that make Azure Stack different are low latency (<9 ms, high performance), data sovereignty, cloud readiness, public Azure features in the private cloud. Considering all the features, the quality of service / price ratio is superior compared to any cloud option.

What needs improvement?

It would be great when Microsoft will enable WDI, AI and Cognitive Services in Azure Stack.

Binbox Global Services has been using Azure Stack since 2018 when we deployed the first Azure Stack in Central and Eastern Europe. We were the second Microsoft partener that deployed an Azure Stack in Europe.

Now we have 7+ Azure Stacks and other Azure Stacks dedicated to Public Sector.

Azure Stack is stable.

Azure Stack Hub provides on-demand, scalable computing resources.

The initial setup was a little complicated but not too much.

We went through both a private vendor and Microsoft. The private vendor handled one part of the deployment; a Microsoft team did another. They both taught us how to manage Azure Stack. We have a large team of technical engineers who received Azure Stack certification. They know Azure Stack very well. Overall, it was not hard for us to deploy.

Thomas Jørgensen - PeerSpot reviewer
      Solution Specialist at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Reseller
      Easy to set up, integrates well with Azure, and is reliable
      • "The solution is pretty stable."
      • "The fact that it is completely integrated into Azure, while positive, is also a downside."

What is our primary use case?

The product is an on-premise data center for SQL servers and for virtualized environments.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's integrated into Azure is its best feature. They go hand in hand.

It's very easy to set up the product.

The solution is pretty stable.

The product can scale.

What needs improvement?

Azure Stack was implemented by Microsoft about eight months ago. That's pretty much how long I've been using it.

The solution is stable enough. It is not market-leading, however, it is reliable.

The scalability is decent. It's not market-leading, however, it is possible.

We have about 20 people using it in our company.

I haven't used technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We didn't change solutions. We just added it and we are still utilizing a host of other solutions, including VMware's vSAN. They both do similar things, however, if I had my choice, I would go with VMware. That's just subjective, however.

The product has been simple to set up. The deployment is quick and takes an hour. It's not complex or difficult to implement. It's really quite easy. It's a next, next, next flow where you click through and run the software. When you implement it, you attach it to your Azure account and that's when the real work starts, of course, as then you have it up and running.

I install the solution myself. We both deploy it in-house and use a consultant.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers.

I'd recommend the solution, however, for those considering it, the most important thing is to get ahold of somebody who knows what they're doing, for example, a consultant.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.