AWS Lambda OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Lambda is the #1 ranked solution in top Compute Service tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Lambda an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. AWS Lambda is most commonly compared to AWS Batch: AWS Lambda vs AWS Batch. AWS Lambda is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
AWS Lambda Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Lambda Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is AWS Lambda?

AWS Lambda is a compute service that lets you run code without provisioning or managing servers. AWS Lambda executes your code only when needed and scales automatically, from a few requests per day to thousands per second. You pay only for the compute time you consume - there is no charge when your code is not running. With AWS Lambda, you can run code for virtually any type of application or backend service - all with zero administration. AWS Lambda runs your code on a high-availability compute infrastructure and performs all of the administration of the compute resources, including server and operating system maintenance, capacity provisioning and automatic scaling, code monitoring and logging. All you need to do is supply your code in one of the languages that AWS Lambda supports (currently Node.js, Java, C# and Python).

You can use AWS Lambda to run your code in response to events, such as changes to data in an Amazon S3 bucket or an Amazon DynamoDB table; to run your code in response to HTTP requests using Amazon API Gateway; or invoke your code using API calls made using AWS SDKs. With these capabilities, you can use Lambda to easily build data processing triggers for AWS services like Amazon S3 and Amazon DynamoDB process streaming data stored in Amazon Kinesis, or create your own back end that operates at AWS scale, performance, and security.

AWS Lambda Customers

Netflix

AWS Lambda Video

Archived AWS Lambda Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Analyst with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable with a good overall design
  • "The solution is designed very well. You don't need to keep a server up. You just need some router to route your API request and Lambda provides a very well-designed feature to process the request."
  • "We need to better understand Lambda for different scenarios. We need some joint effort between Amazon and the users to have the users identify how they can really leverage Lambda. It's not about Lambda itself; it's about the practice, the guidance. There needs to be very good documentation. From the user perspective, what exists now is not always enough."

What is our primary use case?

We have some APIs and we use some mechanisms to process these APIs. Normally, some APIs need to be hosted by some servers. However, with this product, we can compute everything serverless.

What is most valuable?

The solution is designed very well. You don't need to keep a server up. You just need some router to route your API request and Lambda provides a very well-designed feature to process the request.

From our perspective, the solution works for a variety of scenarios.

It's very straightforward and very easy to use. We don't need to keep several apps. We just use some APIs and to route with the APIs to create related Lambda functions.

What needs improvement?

The kind of scenarios we can leverage in Lambda can be difficult. For example, we have a lot of their servers that provide APIs. Before, the APIs were hosted by a server. We have identified that some of them can be hosted in Lambda. That's a challenge as we're yet to think of our scenario and match our requirements in order to really leverage Lambda. That's more on us than the solution itself.

We need to better understand Lambda for different scenarios. We need some joint effort between Amazon and the users to have the users identify how they can really leverage Lambda. It's not about Lambda itself; it's about the practice, the guidance. There needs to be very good documentation. From the user perspective, what exists now is not always enough.

Lambda is stable. We don't see any problems so far. There haven't been bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze on us.

AWS Lambda
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about AWS Lambda. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very scalable. We just allocated a very small number of requirements to Lambda. We've still found it to be very scalable.

We are a technology company, so we do not have many users. Most are developers, engineers, and architects.

So far, we've found the technical support to be okay. They are knowledgeable and responsive and we are satisfied with the level of support we get.

The initial setup's level of difficulty depends on different requirements. Normally, we can see that number to process and do a straight comparative analysis for a simple scenario. The deployment is fine for the most part. We don't spend much time on it in comparison to a traditional deployment. It's very quick.

When you try some services, with Amazon, the first phase is okay. When we continued with more workloads placed on Amazon, we needed to take into account the cost, as the cost to the firm becomes more and more. It can get expensive if you aren't careful.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

Lambda is very good. I don't collect feedback from other colleagues or other members. However, from my perspective, Lambda is good. I would rate it nine out of ten, based on my experience alone.

The best advice I can give other organizations is that it's better to consider your scenarios and see what is scenario is suitable for the functions or services you require, or not. Don't try to move your applications just because of new technology and new concepts. Consider carefully your requirements and that will help you avoid some additional costs.

CEO at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
It does all the management and has great scalability and stability
  • "The cool thing about AWS Lambda is that AWS does all the management. For compression, it is all about making the data small and then making it regular size again. We have an encode function and a decode function. AWS Lambda schedules each of those for us. It has a load balancer and all the fancy stuff, depending on the demand. The most valuable part of AWS Lambda is that I only need to write the software. I need to write two functions, and my cloud developer turns them into two AWS Lambda instances. That's it."
  • "One area of improvement is to include support for more programming languages. AWS Lambda does not support a lot of programming languages. You have to write the Lambda functions in a certain programming language. We are using C++. My developer knows a couple of other languages. Python is his favorite language, but Python is not supported in AWS Lambda."

What is our primary use case?

We are a startup, and we are doing faster and cheaper storage for IT. We are going to offer our storage services in about two months, and we are starting with AWS. We do lossless compression using microservices. We do the compute in a lossless compression way similar to gzip, WinZip, or PKZIP, except that we are giving a discount to customers.

The product that we are developing is not yet in the market. We are doing alpha testing for select customers who are using AWS. The biggest advantage is that you get faster storage without doing a forklift upgrade, and you get 35% cheaper storage. So, you get 2X faster storage with a 35% to 50% lower monthly bill.

We use AWS Lambda to encode and decode data. I work on the encode and decode software. I am working with a cloud developer. He works on the Lambda deliverable and wraps my C code with his C++ wrappers. They get bundled together with no JS stuff.

What is most valuable?

The cool thing about AWS Lambda is that AWS does all the management. For compression, it is all about making the data small and then making it regular size again. We have an encode function and a decode function. AWS Lambda schedules each of those for us. It has a load balancer and all the fancy stuff, depending on the demand.

What needs improvement?

One area of improvement is to include support for more programming languages. AWS Lambda does not support a lot of programming languages. You have to write the Lambda functions in a certain programming language. We are using C++. My developer knows a couple of other languages. Python is his favorite language, but Python is not supported in AWS Lambda.

I have been using AWS Lambda since it came out in 2016.

It is very stable.

Its scalability is great. We write an encode function, and my cloud developer turns that into an AWS Lambda instance. We then write a decode function, and he turns it into another AWS Lambda instance. We just hook it up and use an API gateway for doing the security check, encryption, and other things.

We did not require any support. Most of the stuff in the cloud is anyways self-serve.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

They have a program for AWS customers called Activate. With the Activate program, you can get compute and storage credits. They gave us like $10,000 worth of credit over 18 months.

I would recommend using this solution. It was the first microservice. It doesn't have much overhead, and it does what it claims to do.

I would rate AWS Lambda an eight out of ten. It is a good solution.

AWS Lambda
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Assistant to Vice President at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Has a rich set of services and enables us to focus on building the business functionality that we want to build
  • "It's a serverless solution which is the best feature. It helps us because it offers free aspects. From the infrastructure perspective, it helps us manage costs. There is no overhead of estimating how much infrastructure we're going to need. We can focus on building the business functionality that we want to build."
  • "If you are setting it up on hybrid solution, there is a lot of work that needs to go in."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our financial institutions. We use it for many customers that we work with. We develop solutions for our customers and run them on AWS. We wanted to build the solution on the public cloud and out of all the public cloud providers, AWS is the best. It has a rich set of services.

What is most valuable?

It's a serverless solution which is the best feature. It helps us because it offers free aspects. From the infrastructure perspective, it helps us manage costs. There is no overhead of estimating how much infrastructure we're going to need. We can focus on building the business functionality that we want to build.

What needs improvement?

Lambda didn't use to support all the capabilities, if you wanted to initialize it before started serving the requests, it is not possible. In the most recent upgrades, they have added this feature. There is nothing missing. If there is something missing, AWS has other solutions that covers it. I look at Lambda as a piece of AWS, working in conjunction with other solutions.

I have been using AWS for two and a half years.

We don't have any issues with stability or scalability. We have offline and online users. There are thousands of online users.

Their support is excellent. We have no complaints. It can be expensive, we bought the enterprise support. If you don't want to spend the money, you might run into issues but that isn't the case for us.

Everything was set up in the public cloud. We didn't need to set up a lot of things. We didn't have to connect a lot of connectivities to external applications. If you are setting it up on hybrid solution, there is a lot of work that needs to go in. You need to understand what your organization's security standards are, how the different teams are going to access the infrastructure, etc. For hybrid, it will take a lot of time but for only the public cloud, it is quite easy.

AWS is slightly more expensive than Azure. But from a maturity perspective, AWS is way more ahead than Azure.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It was missing features like initialization but they are available now in the latest release.

It is good for smaller companies that don't have a lot of staff that will manage the infrastructure. It automatically scales based on the users and allocating the resources. From a cost perspective, it is quite cheap. It takes out a lot of overhead. If it's for a large company with a lot of experts, there are other good solutions.

it_user1222389 - PeerSpot reviewer
AWS Platform Head & Chief Architect - CMA Unit at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to develop services quickly and easily in any language for deployment on the cloud
  • "The ease and speed of developing the services using any available language is the most valuable feature."
  • "The product needs some updating as far as ease-of-customization and configuration opportunities to work with solutions outside of the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, I work with all my clients to provide them with solutions. We are a service company, so we work with clients to define and build applications that resolve their need for automation issues. I create the solutions, and then there is a delivery team of mine which works to deliver that solution to the client.

What is most valuable?

The thing that I have found most valuable in Lambda is primarily the ease of developing the services we distribute. We can easily develop the solutions using any language which is available today — this includes all the primary and new-age languages.

Secondly, because it is a cloud service technology, we do not have to worry about the infrastructure behind the solutions we provide. Everything is all on the cloud and there is no maintenance and we have to do no monitoring of the architecture. The time and expense of maintenance are taken care of by the platform itself. Those are the things that we like most about it.

What needs improvement?

There are certain limitations to some services in Lambda which will have to be overcome over time. Primarily, I think there are two aspects of the product that are in most need of improvement.

One is, of course, the customization. The process of customizing should be simplified.

The other is specifically in the area of integration. The configuration requirements for the services which would be desirable to integrate with Lambda are not always as easy to utilize as they should be. For example, the opportunities we have to integrate solutions with the world outside of the cloud are not well supported. These integrations are supported well inside the cloud but some clients need to support solutions outside the cloud. If somebody has that need we should be able to deploy integrations with products and services outside the cloud as well.

So those are the two drawbacks and potential areas for improvement area which I would like to see corrected in AWS. Those features need to be updated because the current functionality of the product is not competitive enough today with other products in the category. I think with time they have to improve and add new features or offer other ways of integrating new services.

I have been working for more than a year now on Lambda AWS (Amazon Web Services) solutions, designing the real-time applications, services, and similar types of solutions for automated response.

Stability-wise, Lambda needs some improvement because it has constraints that cause issues with task completion. What I mean by constraints is that there are some limitations to the number of minutes that a process can run and then execute. If the process continues to run and goes beyond that limit, it will time out. Those kinds of things are built into the nature of the product. Probably with time I think this is an area where the company will need to add new features or functionality to improve the behavior.

Lambda definitely is scalable and to a great extent because it does not require any kind of additional infrastructure for the clients. It just is just a lot less trouble to deploy. You can extend and auto-scale to any level. So, the scalability is very good.

Our clients are large-sized enterprise businesses so certainly the product can scale up to meet their needs.

The support from AWS is fine. I am quite definitely satisfied with their support system.

I would say the setup is straightforward. I think that most of the development is really straightforward in nature. The solutions have to develop based on some use-cases defined by the client organization. When these are defined, we are just meeting the needs of the organization by building the solution to do what they need. So the setup and implementation are all pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend AWS Lambda. There are a lot of successful test cases both with our clients and other startups which are doing really well using Lambda as a solution.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate AWS Lambda as an eight-out-of-ten. That would be the right number at this time considering the product is lacking in some areas.

Technical Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scans the cloud system and if they are any security anomalies it triggers an email

What is our primary use case?

We have only used it for a few services. It's still in POC mode. We haven't done any production on it currently.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it scans the cloud system and if they are any security anomalies it triggers an email.

What needs improvement?

The running time of AWS Lambda runs fine. It takes around five minutes but it would be great if that time could be extended.

I have been using Lambda for two to three years.

We haven't seen any issues regarding stability as of now.

It is easy to expand the platform.

Their technical support is quite good. We have enterprise support, so it is quite good.

The initial setup is easy.

I did the deployment with the help of consultants.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Lambda to someone considering it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

The pricing is similar to Azure services, they are quite competitive pricing-wise if you compare Azure and AWS.

Ravi Satyanarayana - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Analyst at Tata Consultancy
Scales on demand, allowing us to focus on core business functions

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for a mobile banking application with the ability to scale as per demand and to focus on core business functions rather than the platform.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our ability to scale as per demand and to focus on core business functions rather than the platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the API Gateway.

What needs improvement?

The security needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for one year.
HungVu - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Leader at FPT Software
MSP
Simple to set up, scales well, and integrates well with other AWS services
  • "The ability to scale up and down very quickly helps because we can maintain our system performance and business at a low cost."
  • "Lamba functions have cold-starts that can cause some delay."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Lambda is for serverless computing in our project. We have an environment in AWS with Lambda, EC2, S3, SQS, RDS, and Redshift. Our Lambda function is triggered whenever a new object is put into S3. It will validate, extract data from S3 then input metadata into MySQL and put the main data into Redshift as the data warehouse. An SQS message will be created so our Application in EC2 is alerted that there is new data to have processed.

How has it helped my organization?

With AWS Lambda, we found it easy to integrate with other AWS services such as S3, SQS, RDS, etc. This allows us to scale our services in an almost unlimited fashion, as data input into S3 sometimes peak up to a thousand objects and need to be processed as soon as possible.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to integrate with other AWS services, making our job easier and more effective. Lambda is lightweight and we can quickly develop our functions. The ability to scale up and down very quickly helps because we can maintain our system performance and business at a low cost.

What needs improvement?

There are several things that can be improved, including:

• It has limited access to disk space, as it does not have full access to underline VM
  • Lamba functions have cold-starts that can cause some delay
  • It is hard to troubleshoot and monitor Lambda functions

Less than one year.

Our Lambda functions are very stable, despite the fact that we have scaled up and down frequently. This means our functions run in the different underlying hosts, but their behavior is still the same.

This solution can scale up to thousands of instances in a very short time without any delay. It is very fast.

We have just started with Lambda and it is great.

Setting up AWS Lambda is simple and AWS provides great documentation that includes installation details, as well as guidelines and best practices. The coding of Lambda functions is simple and straightforward with our developer.

We implemented using our in-house team.

With Lambda, we can reduce the time to deliver our project to production and can provide our clients with a scalable, reliable, and high-performance system.

We considered deploying our functions in EC2 with Auto Scaling but decided on Lambda as we need a lightweight function that is able to scale up and down quickly. Also, the overall cost is much lower.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing this solution is easy, with just a few clicks your function will be ready. I suggest reviewing your requirements and choosing a suitable Lamba function size. Also, have a good strategy on how to trigger your functions.

it_user876690 - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good user experience through the console but needs additional integrations, better interface
  • "Provides a good, easy path from when you're using an AWS cluster."
  • "I would like to see some better integration with other providers, like Cohesity, Druva, and others. I also think the Lambda interface could be better."
  • "The setup was pretty complex because there were many steps. For me, it was complex because I was somewhat new at it. It could be easier for someone who has done it a bunch of times. I just found that it was a very dense user experience. There's a lot going on during setup."

What is our primary use case?

I back up my MongoDB, that database has user data. The performance of AWS Lambda has been fine.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made things a lot easier in terms of restoring if we need to and just not having to worry about the small things.

What is most valuable?

The console is very good, the user experience works very well.

What needs improvement?

I don't have a ton of transactions, so it's very stable from my perspective. But I can imagine that it would not necessarily be as great for an enterprise product.

The scalability is hard for me to see from where I sit because I have a very small company, but I can imagine that it's going to be an issue.

Tech support is very minimalist. It's more do-it-yourself, which works for me, but I don't think it will work forever.

The setup was pretty complex because there were many steps. For me, it was complex because I was somewhat new at it. It could be easier for someone who has done it a bunch of times. I just found that it was a very dense user experience. There's a lot going on during setup.

The vendors on the shortlist now would be Cohesity, Commvault, Druva. But in the past, I went with this because we were using an AWS cluster anyway. It was easy-ish.

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are

• user experience
  • support.

I would rate AWS Lambda at a six out of 10 because it's not quite clear that it scales, but it does have a good, easy path from when you're using a cluster.

Senior Automation Test Developer/Automation Test Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Develops release pipeline faster but no shell script is supported

What is our primary use case?

1. Use lambda function to trigger the jenkins jobs to make whole release pipeline.

2. Send the slack notification once the release with automated test is done.

How has it helped my organization?

My automation test story is we moved from CircleCI to Jenkins, then to AWS. The benefit I can see is the maintenance and budget. Ops made this decision but it did not affect automation tests and the release pipeline too much, but I have seen the release pipeline has been developing much faster.

What is most valuable?

We use AWS Function and Jenkins API to trigger the Jenkins job from the AWS CodePipeline.

Since our automated deploy jobs are on AWS, and automated tests are on Jenkins.

Then we can create the release pipeline including AWS and Jenkins and put them together.

What needs improvement?

1. Cannot checkout code from GitHub but Jenkins can.

2. No shell script supported.

3. CodePipeline cannot send notification to Slack, but we can use Slack API and Lambda Function.

Less than one year.

Pretty good.

I saw Ops setup the automated release jobs faster in AWS than in Jenkins and CircleCI.

For automation tests, it does not affect too much.

Our Ops are all AWS experts.

What other advice do I have?

For automation developers, we do not care too much about which CI system we use. It does not affect us too much. Automation tests can be ran in most of mainstream CI systems.

Download our free AWS Lambda Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022