AWS Lake Formation OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Lake Formation is the #12 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Lake Formation an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. AWS Lake Formation is most commonly compared to Snowflake: AWS Lake Formation vs Snowflake. AWS Lake Formation is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Cloud Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is AWS Lake Formation?

AWS Lake Formation is a service that makes it easy to set up a secure data lake in days. A data lake is a centralized, curated, and secured repository that stores all your data, both in its original form and prepared for analysis.

AWS Lake Formation Customers
bp, Cerner, Expedia, Finra, HESS, intuit, Kellog's, Philips, TIME, workday
AWS Lake Formation Video

Archived AWS Lake Formation Reviews (more than two years old)

Head of Business Intelligence, Analytics and Big Data Service Line at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easily integrated solution
  • "The most important advantage in using AWS Lake Formation is its ability to connect the data lake to the other technologies in AWS. This is what I advise my clients."
  • "In our experience what could be improved are not the support, performance or monitoring, but at a managerial level, the very expensive professional services of AWS. This could be an area of improvement for them. It's too expensive to acquire their support."

What is our primary use case?

In general, our clients use this as storage for raw data coming from systems. Our experience is that from the raw data you have to build up the data lake like a data warehouse. It's quite easy to pass from S3, for example, to Redshift. We used the data lake on AWS to store raw data and in some other cases to process advanced analytics. But the main use case here is storing raw data or archiving some data.

What is most valuable?

I would suggest using the entire ecosystem of AWS for this kind of job. The most important advantage of using AWS Lake Formation is its ability to connect the data lake to the other technologies in AWS. This is what I advise my clients.

Usually, you define an architecture in which you build up a data platform. The different technologies are different layers of that platform. My advice is to use the AWS technologies altogether. This can give a greater boost to the developer of the data platform.

What needs improvement?

In our experience what could be improved are not the support, performance or monitoring, but at a managerial level, the very expensive professional services of AWS. This could be an area of improvement for them. It's too expensive to acquire their support.

Generally, when you adopt a new technology, you always have to acquire a basket of professional services from the vendor. It's not only for system integrators, but also for clients because they always need some support. In this case, AWS is very expensive.

Something else they could improve is covering the end-to-end of the data platform with AWS products. They have to evolve. They have to improve the tools of data visualization a lot with QuickSight and ETS tool Glue. If they want to provide an end-to-end service with all the technologies to build up a complete data platform they need to improve these two technologies, these two solutions.

I have been using AWS Lake Formation for more or less one year.

We don't have our own projects. We are system integrators so we have projects based on customer requests.

Cloud Data Warehouse
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Snowflake Computing, Microsoft and others in Cloud Data Warehouse. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

AWS Lake Formation is stable.

AWS Lake Formation seems to be very scalable.

The initial setup is not so complex. There are no issues with deployment.

Also, because of the initial configuration, we usually ask for their support. Probably, for this reason we didn't have any trouble because they were able to do that. This is probably a reason the initial setup was not so complex.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Lake Formation a nine.

In our experience, this AWS solution is one of the main players now on the market in this field.

Additionally, because they can connect the offer in terms of infrastructure and software, sometimes you can combine the price and discount of infrastructure and software. This could be an advantage for clients.

Lead Security Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good security, excellent online resources and easy to set up
  • "The solution has many features that are applicable to events such as audits."
  • "The solution could make improvements around orchestration and doing some automation stuff on AWS front automation. It would be useful if we could use automation to build images and use hardened images which are CIS compliant."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a cloud data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The security of the solution is pretty good.

The solution has many features that are applicable to events such as audits.

The solution offers a lot of documentation online that users can use to help with troubleshooting or learning the systems. We rely on these materials when we need support.

What needs improvement?

The solution could make improvements around orchestration and doing some automation stuff on AWS front automation. It would be useful if we could use automation to build images and use hardened images which are CIS compliant.

For AWS, currently, we are facing the challenge when previewing. On AWS, we have set up a scanner instance with a Nexus scanner. For some reason, the scanner instance has been set up on AWS so that if it's in one region or maybe if it is deployed on one subnet, the other subnet is not reachable within the same region. The scanner is not reachable to the different subnets. For example, if there is a subnet A where the scanner is deployed, and if we want to scan the subnet B within the same region, the scanner is not reachable due to the fact that it's in Subnet A. That's a problem we are currently facing and trying to troubleshoot that.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

The solution is very stable. We haven't experienced issues such as bugs or glitches. AWS if very good, performance-wise. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I don't really have any insights into scaling the solution. It's not my area of expertise. I haven't attempted to scale yet, so I can't speak to its capabilities.

We have different project teams using the solution across the organization curently.

We've never dealt with technical support just yet. If there is a need, we might reach out. However, I can't speak to their level of service as we've never used them yet.

Each team in our organization has the option to work with whatever solution they like. Others might use Azure, for example. We, right now, use AWS which we find to be more agile and scalable.

Whichever solution a team chooses wold be based on their own unique requirements.

I wouldn't describe the initial setup as complex. It's pretty straightforward.

For deployment, you basically just download it and start working. It's easy.

We didn't really have a deployment strategy in place. We are at the start of all of this automation stuff. Right now, different project teams are using the cloud. It's new for them as well. We are trying to see how best we can try to get these images, hardened images, deployed in an automated fashion.

There is a dedicated team that handles maintenance on the product. Every product team is responsible for their own setup plan (subscription), and they maintain it. Maintenence might be five or ten people per 1,000 users. It depends on the team size. Eveyone is scattered all across the globe. It's pretty difficult to say which team is handling maintenance and how many are responsible for it as different teams are independantly using the solution.

I'm not privvy to licesning information. I'm not sure how much the solution costs.

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with AWS. We're just a customer.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

The thing is that we are not forcing the end-user or the project team to deploy the application. They have the liberty to choose their own platform. Either they can go with AWS or they can go with Azure. Most of the projects which are deployed on non-Windows OS tend to go for AWS.

My area of expertise is more in the auditing of the security standards and maintaining the security requirements as per the industry standard. I'm more in a security architect kind of role.

Every solution has its pros and cons, however, for our purposes, this solution works quite well for us.

I'd rate it overall at eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Cloud Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Snowflake Computing, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: November 2022