AWS Database Migration Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Database Migration Service is the #4 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Database Migration Service an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. AWS Database Migration Service is most commonly compared to AWS Glue: AWS Database Migration Service vs AWS Glue. AWS Database Migration Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
AWS Database Migration Service Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Database Migration Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is AWS Database Migration Service?

AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely. The source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database. The AWS Database Migration Service can migrate your data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.

AWS Database Migration Service was previously known as AWS Data Migration Service.

AWS Database Migration Service Customers

Veoci, Trimble, Nasdaq, shaadi.com, Hotelbeds, SysAid, Verizon, Expedia, Pega

AWS Database Migration Service Video

Archived AWS Database Migration Service Reviews (more than two years old)

Digital Services & Engagement Senior Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Stable service but requires additional applications for full functionality
  • "The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application."
  • "Migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, we are currently using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to the AWS cloud. A few more services would be really helpful for me to move the master data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that I can easily automate. I don't want many resources working on setting up a new IDE and creating an application and so on. We can make use of the existing applications in the cloud and I can do a workflow management very easily.

What is most valuable?

In selected or traditional databases on-premise, the backup and maintenance are very difficult. If you are maintaining a complete platform, like a Linux platform, you will need to apply some regular DB patches, so things are very difficult here. But in AWS RDS, there are many databases available for which the maintenance will be taken care of by the AWS team and different scalable databases also available. For example, currently we are using other database subscriptions which are very useful for my applications. Earlier we had Oracle Streams but we migrated to Aurora.

The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application. For example, day to day, there are developers trying to run SQL scripts which will cause problems in the database. So instead of troubleshooting, I can simply roll back to the existing set so that they can work easily. The support that I get for my project and the deadline to release one new feature will usually take three to four months on on-premise. Now, since I have migrated to AWS, I can finish it in one or two months.

What needs improvement?

There is something where AWS Database Migration can be improved. Many of the application teams don't want to invest on a migration. They don't want to use the Database Migration service. They want us to export to the dump point, database backup, and then put it into the RDS. There is not a cast and mold on it except in the database and that's it. So migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge, and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, currently we are using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to AWS cloud. I need a few more services which would be really helpful for me to move the master data.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for almost four years to move applications from on-premise to AWS cloud.

AWS Database Migration Service
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about AWS Database Migration Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable in terms of the data.

It is scalable. Nothing that we execute needs to be touched in the database. They simply do the code only. So whatever changes we do in the database will be tracked.

If you raise an AWS support issue you will get an immediate response from them so I can resolve my issue as early as possible. That is a good thing. That is why I am likely to take the support from AWS and enable the service very quickly. They have good experts who are available. That has been my experience.  Let's take an example from IBM technical support. I raised a case related to the IBM One Sheet. I'm following up now for one week and they are not responding properly.

What other advice do I have?

I have not explored other solutions like GCP or Azure, but I have used the AWS side. On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration a seven.

This score is because of a few difficulties I faced when setting it up. Because I worked on different applications on a couple of projects, I cannot completely make use of the AWS database. Maybe that is a developer mistake or something. That's the reason I am rating it a seven for now.

Hybrid Cloud
Consultant Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good DNS services and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use this program to migrate from SQL to RDS, or from Oracle to RDS, or from Oracle to Aurora and so on.

What is most valuable?

I find the DNS services to be the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The pricing can be better and it should be more competitive, so I would like to see an improvement there.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for more than ten years now.

The program is very stable.

I was very impressed by the scalability of AWS Database Migration Service. One of our clients has more than 15,000 users.

We don't really use their technical support but I believe the technical team will be able to help with any issues that may arise.

The initial setup was really easy and it took us about an hour to set everything up. We have our own team of about 45 people that was responsible for the implementation. The maintenance of the program is mostly automatic.

It is a very expensive program and you pay a license fee based on the amount of users you have. And besides the license fees, there are additional costs for migration.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good program and I will give it an eight out of ten rating. I would like to see more migration options in the next release.

AWS Database Migration Service
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1171743 - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Low-maintenance and quite scalable but needs to offer a dedicated bandwidth
  • "As the solution is on the cloud, we don't have to worry about the maintenance of software."
  • "It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution to migrate our archive and data, which we are storing in our local servers, to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its warning of the costs of the migration.

The administrative aspects of the solution are very good. When we need to, we can increase our speed.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product.

In terms of dedicated bandwidth, if it can be support Excel or prioritize Excel based on the data it is going to transfer, it would be better.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is quite scalable. We have more than 100 users currently on the solution.

I've never reached out to technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to deploy and takes about 40 to 45 minutes. It does depend on the server and configuration, however.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Lead Oracle Developer and DevOps Engineer at Versent
Excellent migration services that are easy to scale
  • "I like that I can focus on the logic and I don't have to worry about the administration stuff. AWS handles that for me."
  • "Support could be more expedient. Right now I am waiting on support for an extension."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for a database migration.

What is most valuable?

I like that I can focus on the logic and I don't have to worry about the administration stuff. AWS handles that for me.

What needs improvement?

There's some functionality that we're waiting on, like the problem scheduler. It's not yet supported in the current product.

The solution could use schedule linking. I'm keen to get that from the solution in the future.

I've been using the solution for one year.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the solution. It's quite stable.

The solution rates high on scalability. It's very good. We're still migrating, but right now, we have about 100-150 users per day.

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup had a medium amount of difficulty. It's not overly complex. It's not also straightforward. We're trying to put everything in post. There's a bit more complexity in the implementation process. We're still in the middle of migration, so I'm not sure how long deployment will actually take to complete.

We evaluated HVR as well as DMS. We ultimately chose DMS because of the costs and the licensing they offered. Also, our needs were quite simple. We didn't really need HVR to do the migration.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free AWS Database Migration Service Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022