We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

AWS Database Migration Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Database Migration Service is #8 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Database Migration Service an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Database Migration Service is most commonly compared to AWS Glue: AWS Database Migration Service vs AWS Glue. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is AWS Database Migration Service?

AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely. The source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database. The AWS Database Migration Service can migrate your data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.

AWS Database Migration Service was previously known as AWS Data Migration Service.

Download the Cloud Data Integration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

AWS Database Migration Service Customers

Veoci, Trimble, Nasdaq, shaadi.com, Hotelbeds, SysAid, Verizon, Expedia, Pega

AWS Database Migration Service Video

Archived AWS Database Migration Service Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user1171743
Tech Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Low-maintenance and quite scalable but needs to offer a dedicated bandwidth
  • "As the solution is on the cloud, we don't have to worry about the maintenance of software."
  • "It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution to migrate our archive and data, which we are storing in our local servers, to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its warning of the costs of the migration.

The administrative aspects of the solution are very good. When we need to, we can increase our speed.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the bandwidth could be independent of the network or if we could have a dedicated bandwidth for this product.

In terms of dedicated bandwidth, if it can be support Excel or prioritize Excel based on the data it is going to transfer, it would be better.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is quite stable.

The solution is quite scalable. We have more than 100 users currently on the solution.

I've never reached out to technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy to deploy and takes about 40 to 45 minutes. It does depend on the server and configuration, however.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Lead Oracle Developer and DevOps Engineer at Versent
Excellent migration services that are easy to scale
  • "I like that I can focus on the logic and I don't have to worry about the administration stuff. AWS handles that for me."
  • "Support could be more expedient. Right now I am waiting on support for an extension."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for a database migration.

What is most valuable?

I like that I can focus on the logic and I don't have to worry about the administration stuff. AWS handles that for me.

What needs improvement?

There's some functionality that we're waiting on, like the problem scheduler. It's not yet supported in the current product.

The solution could use schedule linking. I'm keen to get that from the solution in the future.

I've been using the solution for one year.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the solution. It's quite stable.

The solution rates high on scalability. It's very good. We're still migrating, but right now, we have about 100-150 users per day.

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup had a medium amount of difficulty. It's not overly complex. It's not also straightforward. We're trying to put everything in post. There's a bit more complexity in the implementation process. We're still in the middle of migration, so I'm not sure how long deployment will actually take to complete.

We evaluated HVR as well as DMS. We ultimately chose DMS because of the costs and the licensing they offered. Also, our needs were quite simple. We didn't really need HVR to do the migration.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.