Gabriel Clement - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead IT Security and Remediation at ARM Ltd
Useful for log management and helps to send notifications and record activities on the firewall
  • "Every activity on the firewall is recorded, and notifications are sent with this solution."
  • "Sometimes the log is unclear, and the report is a bit ambiguous."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for log management, which is connected to our active directory and other servers. It is agent-based and picklocks for our firewall. Every activity on the firewall is recorded, and notifications are sent with this solution.

What is most valuable?

It gives us everything we want. We don't use vulnerability management, and we use it specifically for the log.

What needs improvement?

We like the on-premises solution, but AT&T wants us to move to their cloud version. We are not interested in doing that because the storage in the cloud version is not cheap. We don't want to move to the cloud and be unable to afford the cost of maintaining the cloud. We are looking for a solution that we can afford long term. Since the support for on-premises is close to being eliminated, we are looking for a solution that fits our budget.

We have been using this solution for six years and are using the latest version of their on-premises USM.

AT&T AlienVault USM
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about AT&T AlienVault USM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have had some issues, but we have been able to handle them.

We have tried to scale it with a partner, but one of the limitations is that we do not want to scale it if the on-premises is coming to the end of life. We have to manage our budget to ensure the business does not fail. In terms of assets, we have about 100 assets, and it is not difficult to maintain.

The partner that we liaised with during deployment manages any issues. We raise a ticket, push it to them, and work together on Zoom to fix it. Sometimes I handle the issues myself, but if I can't handle it, I push it to the partners. I rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup was not difficult and was a bit straightforward. The tricky part was trying to correlate what to send alerts for. Sometimes the log is unclear, and the report is a bit ambiguous. So we need to do additional research to know what the log and raw data are saying. The deployment was done both in-house and with a third party.

The licensing cost is around 4 million naira. I rate the pricing a nine out of ten, with ten being the most reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. Regarding advice, before you implement any solution, ensure it meets your technical needs and assess whether you can maintain the solution in terms of cost of support. Regarding additional features, the existing features are good, but if they could integrate file integrity monitoring, it would be great.

Operation Manager at Checksum Consultancy
Easy to deploy, good integration with OTX, and good at asset discovery and vulnerability scanning
  • "Asset discovery and vulnerability scanner are good features. The integration between this solution and OTX, which is an AlienVault platform for Open Threat Exchange, is also a valuable feature. It is also quick and easy to deploy, so you can quickly engage with a customer's environment."
  • "Its reporting tools need improvements. It would be good if they can provide integration with other ticketing systems. Currently, we only have integration with Slack and Jira. It is also a bit slow, and its replication engine can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We provide information security services to clients. We are seeking some clients to provide monitoring services by using AlienVault. We are also providing AlienVault USM Anywhere, which is cloud-based and has integration with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.

What is most valuable?

Asset discovery and vulnerability scanner are good features. The integration between this solution and OTX, which is an AlienVault platform for Open Threat Exchange, is also a valuable feature. It is also quick and easy to deploy, so you can quickly engage with a customer's environment.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting tools need improvements. It would be good if they can provide integration with other ticketing systems. Currently, we only have integration with Slack and Jira.

It is also a bit slow, and its replication engine can be improved.

I have been using this solution for six months.

We provide technical support for our clients.

I have used McAfee ESM. McAfee ESM has many good features, but it is not very integrated with cloud-based assets. AlienVault is already a cloud-based solution, and it is native to cloud assets, which gives AlienVault an advantage over McAfee ESM. On the other hand, McAfee ESM is much better than AlienVault in terms of search engine, data collection, and events.

It is very easy to deploy. It just takes one or two days and allows you to engage with your customer's environment quickly.

Its price is much lower than McAfee ESM.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage others to go with this solution because it is easy to deploy, and it provides good tools to know more about your network and the traffic on it. Its reporting needs some improvements, but it fulfills the needs.

I would rate AlienVault USM an eight out of ten.

AT&T AlienVault USM
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Seyed Afzouni - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Impressive visuals, high performance, and good user experience
  • "AT&T AlienVault USM is good for ELK Stack, the user experience is great because of its architecture. The ELK has a great performance and it has very good speed in the search and Kibana. Additionally, the visuals and dashboards and very nice and customizable."
  • "The AT&T AlienVault USM is okay, but the relational database is not very good for large amounts of data. For example, many logs cannot be processed. It has been very slow for the queries and some data which are large, it is not very good in this case."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM for SIEM, collecting logs from clients, traffic, analyzing, forensics, and security.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The AT&T AlienVault USM is okay, but the relational database is not very good for large amounts of data. For example, many logs cannot be processed. It has been very slow for the queries and some data which are large, it is not very good in this case.

I have been using AT&T AlienVault USM for approximately five years.

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM as a client, if we want to increase the data we can collect more data because the solution can expand well horizontally.

Between the cellphones and laptops usage, we have more than 250 users using his solution in my organization.

We have not used the technical support but we have clear documentation that we use.

The initial setup was straightforward. We have a server room which we deploy from.

The maintenance of the solution is not very difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it is simple to deploy, has high performance, and has a great user experience.

I rate AT&T AlienVault USM a nine out of ten.

ICT Consultant at N3tcom
Highly stable, easy to use, and simple implementation
  • "The most valuable features of AT&T AlienVault USM are the ease of management and knowledge of what is on the network of my customers. It's easy to understand the problems, and management our alarms and events."
  • "The price of AT&T AlienVault USM could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM for collecting the events, generating alarms, and events management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of AT&T AlienVault USM are the ease of management and knowledge of what is on the network of my customers. It's easy to understand the problems, and management our alarms and events.

What needs improvement?

The price of AT&T AlienVault USM could be reduced.

I have been using AT&T AlienVault USM for approximately two years.

I am satisfied with the stability of AT&T AlienVault USM.

I rate the stability of AT&T AlienVault USM a five out of five.

AT&T AlienVault USM is scalable enough for our needs.

The initial setup of AT&T AlienVault USM was easy. Which involved all the configurations of correlation rules, and other elements for customer problems management. The full implementation took approximately two days.

I did the implementation of AT&T AlienVault USM with a colleague.

AT&T AlienVault USM is an expensive solution and we pay for the license and the support separately. We paid for the license and support for three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

We do not use all the features of the solution.

I rate AT&T AlienVault USM an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Alaa Mady - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Unstable features, poor technology integration, and support needs improvement
  • "The solution has all the features that we need, however they do not work correctly."
  • "In the future, I would like to see all these features of the solution working properly."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for security information and event management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution has too many issues with integration with other technologies. For example, you can configure the solution to integrate with your technology today but tomorrow it will stop working. You have to continually update the login, save the issue, and create a ticket with support. It is a long process that takes too long for the support to resolve quickly.

In the future, I would like to see all these features of the solution working properly.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is not stable. Sometimes the virtual machines are not working and it is not a network issue. There are many compatibility issues. There have been times when upgrading the firmware the device is not operational, you then have to restore to the older version.

The customer support has not been very helpful when issues arise.

The price for this solution is very good, but since the features do not work the price is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend anyone to use it.

I rate ATT AlienVault USM a one out of ten.

Team Lead & Principal Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well, useful vulnerability manager, but GUI needs improvements

What is our primary use case?

ATT AlienVault USM detects and responds to threats.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability manager and the file integration are very good.

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs to improve because it's not user-friendly.

I have been using ATT AlienVault USM for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

ATT AlienVault USM is scalable.

It's not a good product for me, but for the small organization, it's a very good product.

The solution is being extensively used by one of our customers.

ATT AlienVault USM support is very good, they respond quickly to our needs.

The initial setup is not complex because it is a cloud solution. The sensor setup will only take a few hours.

The solution is maintained by the vendor.

They charge a license based on the storage. ATT AlienVault USM is a less expensive solution than IBM QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is ATT AlienVault USM is a great tool for small to medium size organizations. If the budget is not very good then you will need a good level team.

I rate ATT AlienVault USM a six out of ten.

Manager at WASHI
A stable, user-friendly security solution with a reasonable price tag and easy deployment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for security.

What needs improvement?

The solution is very user-friendly, but the dashboard could be improved as well as the level of customization.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

The deployment of this solution is easy, but you need some level of understanding.

The price of this solution is reasonable, which is one of the reasons why we selected it over other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other users.

Download our free AT&T AlienVault USM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022