Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Francis Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
Coordinator de Servicios  at MAINT
Easy to use and intuitive platform against security threats, with a feature for adding apps
  • "Easy to use, scalable, stable, and very intuitive platform that provides protection against security threats."
  • "Adding a parsing interface for the customers would make AT&T AlienVault USM better."

What is our primary use case?

We have customers from the retail, industrial, strategic resource, and OT infrastructure sectors who are using AT&T AlienVault USM. The solution has several use cases.

What is most valuable?

I like that AT&T AlienVault USM is deployed on cloud, because the previous solution, the all-in-one solution wasn't, so we had a lot of problems with the all-in-one solution. Either the database was corrupted, or there was a large delay in the appliance. With AT&T AlienVault USM being on cloud, all of those problems disappeared.

Another feature I like about the solution is the ability to add apps. It's a really good feature.

AT&T AlienVault USM is a very intuitive tool, especially for analysts. It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

An improvement for AT&T AlienVault USM is the option for us to build the connectors ourselves, for us to do the parsing ourselves, because those options disappeared with the version of the solution that we're currently using. I know I can talk to the vendor to ask for a new parsing option for the application, for any new platform, but I understand that it can take several months. Adding a parsing interface for the customers would be good.

AT&T AlienVault USM is a stable solution.

AT&T AlienVault USM
October 2022
Learn what your peers think about AT&T AlienVault USM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

AT&T AlienVault USM is a scalable solution, especially because we have the option to use more sensors, and we have an average scale of log space for log rotation.

We don't deal with the support team for AT&T AlienVault USM, in terms of big issues, but in terms of them answering a question, or giving information about design specs, their response is good. Their response is correct, so we have no problem with the support for this solution.

From one to five, where one is bad and five is good, I'm rating their support a four.

The initial setup for AT&T AlienVault USM was easy.

We evaluated another product: AlienVault OSSIM, but only for testing, we did not suggest it to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM. It's our main SIEM solution. We've been a partner of AT&T for four to five years. We still have a customer using the all-in-one solution, but now we are mainly promoting AlienVault USM Anywhere.

I know that the solution is undergoing changes to become even more useful, so we have no problems with it. There's no problem, even in terms of integration.

We use three people for the deployment and maintenance of the solution. One person is in charge of designing and implementing. Another person supports the implementation and the requirements of the customer. The third person does the monitoring exclusively. We provide our customers with the services of a security operations center.

I'm recommending AT&T AlienVault USM to others and I'm rating AT&T AlienVault USM eight out of ten.

Network and Security Infrastructure Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 201-500 employees
Useful highlighted known vulnerabilities, full network viability, and beneficial reports
  • "The most valuable feature in AT&T AlienVault USM is the reporting."
  • "AT&T AlienVault USM can improve searchable data. It should be available for more than 90 days. If you need more than 90 days of data, you have to put a request and they give you raw data, which is not easy to search. A good addition would be to allow users to search data older than 90 days."

What is our primary use case?

I have used AT&T AlienVault USM for Log collection and management, priority, and incident analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

AT&T AlienVault USM has helped our organization by highlighting known vulnerabilities in our network and full visibility of our network to figure out if there is anything that we are not aware of. If there are any missing pieces, they would be found by the AT&T AlienVault USM.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in AT&T AlienVault USM is the reporting.

What needs improvement?

AT&T AlienVault USM can improve searchable data. It should be available for more than 90 days. If you need more than 90 days of data, you have to put a request and they give you raw data, which is not easy to search. A good addition would be to allow users to search data older than 90 days.

In a future update, they should add more integrations with third-party devices.

I have been using AT&T AlienVault USM for approximately six months.

AT&T AlienVault USM is stable.

The scalability of AT&T AlienVault USM is good.

We have five IT administrators that use it. We plan to increase the usage in the future.

We don't reach out to technical support from AT&T AlienVault USM. We go through our third-party provider. They are the ones who we reach out for technical support. We only reach out to the MSP.

I did not use another solution prior to AT&T AlienVault USM.

The initial setup of AT&T AlienVault USM was straightforward. The deployment took approximately one hour.

We did the implementation in-house with the help of a consultant. We require one person for the maintenance and support.

I have seen a return on investment using AT&T AlienVault USM.

I rate the return on investment of AT&T AlienVault USM a four out of five.

I rate the price of AT&T AlienVault USM a four out of five.

We evaluated Microsoft Sentinel and IBM QRadar before choosing AT&T AlienVault USM.

AT&T AlienVault USM is very easy to deploy, user-friendly, easy to understand, and fits very well for small, and medium-sized businesses. I won't say it is a con for the other ones, but they are more suitable for larger-sized companies and sometimes it is cost a lot for Microsoft Sentinel and IBM QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is you need a dedicated person to monitor the same solution. If not, you have to outsource it to a 24/7 SOC, or Security Operation Center, such as a managed security provider.

I rate AT&T AlienVault USM a nine out of ten.

AT&T AlienVault USM
October 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Stephen Hui - PeerSpot reviewer
Cybersecurity Architect at DataAssure
Reseller
Easy setup with great security information management and very stable
  • "The setup is very easy and straightforward."
  • "The solution is a bit complicated. It could be simplified quite a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cybersecurity events and management.

What is most valuable?

The SIEM, security information management is very, very good. Basically, it's great at analyzing the logs of our servers.

The setup is very easy and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit complicated. It could be simplified quite a bit.

The correlation engine could be improved. Much improvement could be made there, as it is an important open-source solution.

The solution could benefit from including security orchestration. It's still not available yet. It would be really nice to have in a future release.

It could use something like a pen test. Tools like that would make it more comprehensive from a cybersecurity aspect.

I've been using the solution since about 2015. It's been approximately six years or so.

The solution is extremely stable. We don't have any issues with its reliability. It doesn't crash or freeze and it's not buggy at all.

The solution doesn't scale well if you are talking about enterprises using it. However, for our purposes, we've never had an issue with this. Larger companies might. We do intend to continue to use the solution and potentially increase usage.

Technical support is extremely reliable. We've very satisfied with the level of service we receive. They are always knowledgeable, helpful, and responsive.

The initials setup is not complex. It's a very straightforward implementation.

The overall deployment is quite quick. It might take about 30 minutes or so. That's all.

The solution has a subscription-based annual payment option. It's not a perpetual license.

What other advice do I have?

We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models.

We both use the solution and sell the solution as well.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight.

We're more focused on servicing medium to small businesses. This solution may not be suitable for a large enterprise-level organization.

That said, we highly recommend it. I'd recommend that new users decide to first go for the trial. Take the trial and then make sure that you like it before investing in the subscription. The company offers a free trial - you might as well use it.

Operation Manager at Checksum Consultancy
Easy to deploy, good integration with OTX, and good at asset discovery and vulnerability scanning
  • "Asset discovery and vulnerability scanner are good features. The integration between this solution and OTX, which is an AlienVault platform for Open Threat Exchange, is also a valuable feature. It is also quick and easy to deploy, so you can quickly engage with a customer's environment."
  • "Its reporting tools need improvements. It would be good if they can provide integration with other ticketing systems. Currently, we only have integration with Slack and Jira. It is also a bit slow, and its replication engine can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We provide information security services to clients. We are seeking some clients to provide monitoring services by using AlienVault. We are also providing AlienVault USM Anywhere, which is cloud-based and has integration with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.

What is most valuable?

Asset discovery and vulnerability scanner are good features. The integration between this solution and OTX, which is an AlienVault platform for Open Threat Exchange, is also a valuable feature. It is also quick and easy to deploy, so you can quickly engage with a customer's environment.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting tools need improvements. It would be good if they can provide integration with other ticketing systems. Currently, we only have integration with Slack and Jira.

It is also a bit slow, and its replication engine can be improved.

I have been using this solution for six months.

We provide technical support for our clients.

I have used McAfee ESM. McAfee ESM has many good features, but it is not very integrated with cloud-based assets. AlienVault is already a cloud-based solution, and it is native to cloud assets, which gives AlienVault an advantage over McAfee ESM. On the other hand, McAfee ESM is much better than AlienVault in terms of search engine, data collection, and events.

It is very easy to deploy. It just takes one or two days and allows you to engage with your customer's environment quickly.

Its price is much lower than McAfee ESM.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage others to go with this solution because it is easy to deploy, and it provides good tools to know more about your network and the traffic on it. Its reporting needs some improvements, but it fulfills the needs.

I would rate AlienVault USM an eight out of ten.

Seyed Afzouni - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Impressive visuals, high performance, and good user experience
  • "AT&T AlienVault USM is good for ELK Stack, the user experience is great because of its architecture. The ELK has a great performance and it has very good speed in the search and Kibana. Additionally, the visuals and dashboards and very nice and customizable."
  • "The AT&T AlienVault USM is okay, but the relational database is not very good for large amounts of data. For example, many logs cannot be processed. It has been very slow for the queries and some data which are large, it is not very good in this case."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM for SIEM, collecting logs from clients, traffic, analyzing, forensics, and security.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The AT&T AlienVault USM is okay, but the relational database is not very good for large amounts of data. For example, many logs cannot be processed. It has been very slow for the queries and some data which are large, it is not very good in this case.

I have been using AT&T AlienVault USM for approximately five years.

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM as a client, if we want to increase the data we can collect more data because the solution can expand well horizontally.

Between the cellphones and laptops usage, we have more than 250 users using his solution in my organization.

We have not used the technical support but we have clear documentation that we use.

The initial setup was straightforward. We have a server room which we deploy from.

The maintenance of the solution is not very difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it is simple to deploy, has high performance, and has a great user experience.

I rate AT&T AlienVault USM a nine out of ten.

ICT Consultant at N3tcom
Highly stable, easy to use, and simple implementation
  • "The most valuable features of AT&T AlienVault USM are the ease of management and knowledge of what is on the network of my customers. It's easy to understand the problems, and management our alarms and events."
  • "The price of AT&T AlienVault USM could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AT&T AlienVault USM for collecting the events, generating alarms, and events management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of AT&T AlienVault USM are the ease of management and knowledge of what is on the network of my customers. It's easy to understand the problems, and management our alarms and events.

What needs improvement?

The price of AT&T AlienVault USM could be reduced.

I have been using AT&T AlienVault USM for approximately two years.

I am satisfied with the stability of AT&T AlienVault USM.

I rate the stability of AT&T AlienVault USM a five out of five.

AT&T AlienVault USM is scalable enough for our needs.

The initial setup of AT&T AlienVault USM was easy. Which involved all the configurations of correlation rules, and other elements for customer problems management. The full implementation took approximately two days.

I did the implementation of AT&T AlienVault USM with a colleague.

AT&T AlienVault USM is an expensive solution and we pay for the license and the support separately. We paid for the license and support for three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

We do not use all the features of the solution.

I rate AT&T AlienVault USM an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Alaa Mady - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Unstable features, poor technology integration, and support needs improvement
  • "The solution has all the features that we need, however they do not work correctly."
  • "In the future, I would like to see all these features of the solution working properly."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for security information and event management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution has too many issues with integration with other technologies. For example, you can configure the solution to integrate with your technology today but tomorrow it will stop working. You have to continually update the login, save the issue, and create a ticket with support. It is a long process that takes too long for the support to resolve quickly.

In the future, I would like to see all these features of the solution working properly.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is not stable. Sometimes the virtual machines are not working and it is not a network issue. There are many compatibility issues. There have been times when upgrading the firmware the device is not operational, you then have to restore to the older version.

The customer support has not been very helpful when issues arise.

The price for this solution is very good, but since the features do not work the price is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend anyone to use it.

I rate ATT AlienVault USM a one out of ten.

Team Lead & Principal Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well, useful vulnerability manager, but GUI needs improvements

What is our primary use case?

ATT AlienVault USM detects and responds to threats.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability manager and the file integration are very good.

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs to improve because it's not user-friendly.

I have been using ATT AlienVault USM for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

ATT AlienVault USM is scalable.

It's not a good product for me, but for the small organization, it's a very good product.

The solution is being extensively used by one of our customers.

ATT AlienVault USM support is very good, they respond quickly to our needs.

The initial setup is not complex because it is a cloud solution. The sensor setup will only take a few hours.

The solution is maintained by the vendor.

They charge a license based on the storage. ATT AlienVault USM is a less expensive solution than IBM QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is ATT AlienVault USM is a great tool for small to medium size organizations. If the budget is not very good then you will need a good level team.

I rate ATT AlienVault USM a six out of ten.

Download our free AT&T AlienVault USM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: October 2022