Aster Data Map Reduce OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aster Data Map Reduce is the #16 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Aster Data Map Reduce an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Aster Data Map Reduce is most commonly compared to Apache Hadoop: Aster Data Map Reduce vs Apache Hadoop. Aster Data Map Reduce is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Aster Data Map Reduce?

SQL-MapReduce is a framework created by Teradata Aster to allow developers to write powerful and highly expressive SQL-MapReduce functions in languages such as Java, C#, Python, C++, and R and push them into the discovery platform for high performance analytics. Analysts can then invoke SQL-MapReduce functions using standard SQL or R through Aster Database, the first discovery platform that allows applications to be fully embedded within the database engine to enable ultra-fast, deep analysis of massive data sets.

Aster Data Map Reduce Customers

Volvo, eBay, P&G, Verizon, 7Eleven, ABN Amro, Alior Bank, BBVA, Cabela's, Dell, DHL, Gortz, Homebase, IHG

Aster Data Map Reduce Video

Archived Aster Data Map Reduce Reviews (more than two years old)

Abhik Ray - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Founder at Quantic
Good performance and it is easy to use data from multiple sources
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of uploading data from multiple sources."
  • "It is hard for some of our users to set up rules for cleansing and transforming data, so this is something that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a simple repository for all of the data that comes from multiple sources related to our organization. It has financial data, transactional data, customer complaint data, as well as customer feedback data. All of these are collected from different systems and they are consolidated for viewing within our management dashboards or for use in other analytics.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of uploading data from multiple sources.

It performs well both in terms of speed and reliability.

What needs improvement?

It is hard for some of our users to set up rules for cleansing and transforming data, so this is something that could be improved. This is necessary because the data that comes from different sources has different formatting, and sometimes there is duplication. This means that some degree of transformation is required.

I would like to see more options for visualization so that the data can be better presented to management.

I have been using Aster Data Map Reduce for about two years.

Data Warehouse
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Teradata, Micro Focus, VMware and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

For all of our users, this solution has been stable. It performs well.

In terms of scale, our data is not very big but we have have not encountered any problems with respect to scalability. We have between 30 and 40 users.

I have never been in touch with technical support.

While the initial setup can be complex, we are fine with it. It took us perhaps two or three days to deploy.

My team handled the deployment but I was not personally involved with it.

One or two people are required for maintenance, depending on their availability.

Before choosing this product we looked at both Apache and a solution from IBM. Ultimately, our team felt that this was more suitable for us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution would be to opt for the cloud version, rather than deploy on-premises. It is a better option.

Srikanth Madduri - PeerSpot reviewer
Program Director at Cognizant
Has good base product functionality of data storage and analytics but there should be an option to use it on the cloud
  • "The ease of deployment is useful so clients are up and running quickly in comparison to other products."
  • "There are some ways that the handling of unstructured data could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Aster Teradata is mostly being used for doing mapping and I use it for analytics. Usually, there is a support vendor who will use Teradata to do the database analytics. But sometimes with Teradata, the DB administrators use it to get access to the libraries or the data processes.

I mostly recommend Teradata for data storage because it is easy to deploy and implement.

What is most valuable?

The most useful features are the base product functionality of data storage and analytics. The ease of deployment is also useful so clients are implemented quickly.

What needs improvement?

I think that a couple of things can be improved with this product. One is, of course, that there should be an option for using it on the Cloud. A lot of customers ask me how they can get up and running fast, and this would be the fastest way with the least client effort. I know Teradata already has its own Cloud solution, but I think that is one area that needs more maturation and exploration. We need to do more testing before we begin to recommend it to clients and we can do this because we work directly with Teradata. We are using the Cloud solution and it is more scalable and also the costs are fairly elastic. It should be something we are using more with clients in the future.

At an organization level, I think sometimes the support for development is not forthcoming. It should become more of a part of their ongoing process. If they dedicate more resources to developing along with the latest trends in the industry, Teradata could then bring that functionality out for the current customers and maybe attract other customers as well.

I would say that the company should consider more capabilities in handling unstructured data in a better way. Right now most of the latest solutions that are coming to the market address the need for how to take unstructured data and create a standard map for that. I think that would really help. Right now, I only see most of the data through Teradata with its unstructured processing and some of it is not available. They can do more with this. I think Teradata's mappings are good and very easy to use. I would use it for customer databases as it is. But there still some ways that the handling of unstructured data could be improved and that would really help.

I've been doing technical solutions for data integration for 22 years. We have a relationship with Teradata for 11 years — since 2008. We implement solutions and have a lot of experience with this product.

My team has had the opportunity to work with technical support. I think it is fair to rate their services as a three-out-of-five. I think they are somewhat above average.

I think the team has been very happy with the setup of Teradata from the system side.

It is taking about a week for deployment. To sort out the clients' needs on the level of technical reports and the results usually takes about two weeks. That is in addition to creating the data warehouse and loading the data.

The feedback I get from customers is the cost is high for what they get. In many cases, another product — other than Teradata — could be better for our clients cost-wise. This is why we are continuing to explore options to see if there are other, more cost-effective solutions. That is an area of the product from Teradata that they need to evaluate.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata has all the best features currently, but I think right now the market is really flooding with multiple options. Many customers have a need for rapid on-premise deployment. I think in that case I would recommend Teradata. But for smaller or medium-sized companies, there are probably other options out there that they might use instead which will fit better for their budget.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Aster Data MapReduce (Teradata) overall as maybe six or seven probably. Seven-out-of-ten.

To improve that rating, I think we see that our customers have a lot of unstructured data. So in addressing that in a better way, Teradata would become an eight. It could possibly resolve this in a simple way with better integration in working directly with other solutions that are already available out there. This may be the best solution for that.