IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AppDynamics Database Monitoring OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is #14 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give AppDynamics Database Monitoring an average rating of 8 out of 10. AppDynamics Database Monitoring is most commonly compared to Dynatrace: AppDynamics Database Monitoring vs Dynatrace. AppDynamics Database Monitoring is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is AppDynamics Database Monitoring?

More than half of application performance bottlenecks originate in the database, but most application teams have little or no visibility into database performance. With AppDynamics' database performance management product, you get 100% visibility into application performance, from the browser to the database.

Key Benefits

• Visualize end-to-end application performance, from the browser to the database
  • Get alerts when database thresholds are violated
  • Monitor key performance metrics like top users, programs, SQL, objects and more.
  • See execution plans for slow SQL to isolate performance bottlenecks
AppDynamics Database Monitoring Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Video

AppDynamics Database Monitoring Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AppDynamics Database Monitoring pricing:
  • "It could be a bit lower, but looking at the scalability, functionality, and other things, you can understand why AppDynamics is so expensive as compared to some of the cheaper products that don't have that full single pane of glass they've got. Dynatrace has got three different elements that you need to log into just to get a full view, which is not so good, and because of that, it is a bit cheaper."
  • "The licensing scheme is very complex. They need to make it easier."
  • "There is an annual cost for the use of this solution."
  • "We have purchased a few licenses for AppDynamics Database Monitoring and the price is high."
  • AppDynamics Database Monitoring Reviews

Senior Solutions Consultant at VNQ Systems
    Reseller
    Provides a single pane of glass to see where you need to focus, and the information is clearly visible and easy to navigate
    • "Knowing which tables on the database were working the most was valuable. It helped the client understand where they need to focus. They streamlined a lot of their queries and brought the resource usage down. It helped them to find long-running queries. They rewrote them completely so that they don't take as long and the application performs better."
    • "The synthetic scripting for end-user monitoring could be a little bit broader. Instead of using just Python, they can include a few other languages so that not everyone has to jump on the bandwagon for Python and do Selenium scripting. They can open up that a bit to make it simpler for people to do the scripting."

What is our primary use case?

We're a partner and reseller for AppDynamics. We had a bank that we had to monitor from start to finish. We did the bank, and I then moved on to another product, but one of my mates is still busy working with AppDynamics. Most of it was on-prem. We did some product testing on the cloud, but the client at that stage didn't have much on the cloud. Connecting to a cloud was quite simple as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The synthetic scripting for end-user monitoring could be a little bit broader. Instead of using just Python, they can include a few other languages so that not everyone has to jump on the bandwagon for Python and do Selenium scripting. They can open up that a bit to make it simpler for people to do the scripting. On the dashboarding side, it's very difficult to do dashboards on the database portion because they don't let you include a lot of the elements in dashboards. They should give a bit more functionality and add more views from the database side. Other than that, all the clients I've worked with are very happy with it. It had everything they needed. No one had any complaints. Only on the application portion, do people get very confused if they're not tech-savvy, but on the database side, you usually work with tech-savvy people. So, the database and the elements are great.

I have been using this solution since 2018 or so. It has been four years.
    Application Performance Management (APM)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Broadcom and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: June 2022.
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable.

If you got the on-prem resource, it's very easy to scale out. If you have the full server resources that you need, scalability is very easy. In terms of its usage, within the bank, its adoption was very difficult. People didn't adopt it very well, but in one of the telecoms, the adoption rate was very good. They had a team of two to three people managing close to 150 users. It was very straightforward to manage.

I have worked with an IBM solution previously. The main pro of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is user-friendliness. It was very easy to click around and say to the clients that this is what they need. It was all clearly visible and easy to navigate.

On the database side, it was very straightforward. I don't have a lot of database experience, but installing it on them was straightforward. It just takes the information from the sites, manipulates it, runs it as a query, creates the user, and gives it permissions. It is very easy. The only one I struggled with was the IBM Db2 because the bank had very strict permissions to get around, and that wasn't as easy.

It could be a bit lower, but looking at the scalability, functionality, and other things, you can understand why AppDynamics is so expensive as compared to some of the cheaper products that don't have that full single pane of glass they've got. Dynatrace has got three different elements that you need to log into just to get a full view, which is not so good, and because of that, it is a bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    A fantastic solution for monitoring a database
    • "To be honest, it's a fantastic product."
    • "The scalability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for database monitoring, application processing, and performance monitoring. Within our business unit, there are hundreds of people using this solution.

AppDynamics was implemented to help us with some performance issues. I'm not a big fan in terms of other features compared to some of the other tools that we use, but when it comes to end-user monitoring (where you want to capture or trend back business transactions, or where you want to really view the performance of the tools), It's not just good in terms of managing your production system, but some of the developers use it to tackle performance issues and get ahead.

What is most valuable?

The application performance monitoring when it comes to code (especially Java code), is really amazing.

The key feature of AppDynamics where it really helps us is instrumentation and database monitoring.

The user interface is also good.

What needs improvement?

The challenges that we face are all performance based, relating to business transactions, not database monitoring.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is very stable.

The scalability could be improved. There is a limitation in terms of the technology that can be supported. For Example, if you want to implement through Java, that is pretty seamless.

The amount of configuration you get there is actually quite low, so you can pretty much go ahead. However, if you're implementing C++ applications, I think it's going to be very difficult.

We have an enterprise tooling team of our own. We actually don't support the product internally; however, there are some consultants from AppDynamics who join us from time to time to help us whenever we experience issues that we need help dealing with.

The installation was quite straightforward. Simply deploy the agent to start coding the data to the controller, and it will do the rest.

Deployment took less than an hour or two. It's best to have the help of expert staff, but if you don't, just follow the instructions.

We deployed this solution on our own with a maintenance team of eight to ten people.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies. On a scale from one to ten, I would give AppDynamics Database Monitoring a rating of eight. To be honest, it's a fantastic product.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Application Performance Management (APM)
    June 2022
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Nuno Rosa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Consultant at Infosys
    MSP
    Straightforward, performs well, and is easy to install
    • "AppDynamics is a good tool that offers excellent out-of-the-box dashboards and application topology."
    • "I believe they need to increase their level of visibility in the infrastructure, particularly in the infrastructure monitoring section, which currently lacks visibility."

What is our primary use case?

Because AppDynamics sells this as end-to-end visibility, there are no use cases in the databases. Use case applied to AppDynamics Brower Real-User Monitoring can be applied here as well. If the user experiences latency on its request, it's most likely because the database is effectively queuing the request. The same scenarios can apply.

What is most valuable?

The performance of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is good, I have not had any complaints.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is straightforward, there is not a lot to it, it either monitors or it doesn't.

What needs improvement?

One of the key features that are missing is the ability to manage users centrally, which is a real pain when it does not happen. That is a feature that their main competitor has had for quite some time. I'm surprised they don't have it already.

I believe they need to increase their level of visibility in the infrastructure, particularly in the infrastructure monitoring section, which currently lacks visibility.

The license model is a bit complex. They should make it a little bit easier, which I believe they will do in the next quarter, or in the next two quarters. I also dislike it because it is based on CPU, which will increase the cost of deployment and licensing. They currently have a complex model and charge on a per-node basis. They plan to change this in the future to make it less complicated, but it will be more expensive because it will be done on a CPU basis rather than a node basis. And this is not good. I deducted one point for that.

We have been providing AppDynamics Database Monitoring for six years.

It is deployed both on the cloud, and on-premises.

The stability of AppDynamics Database Monitoring is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The time it takes to deploy an agent varies depending on the customer and the application, but it can take up to 15 minutes.

The licensing scheme is very complex. They need to make it easier.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics is a good tool that offers excellent out-of-the-box dashboards and application topology. Even for their competitors, their current technology is unrivaled in these two areas.

I would rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring an eight out of ten.

lebohang-motloung - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Team Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Quick installation, good interface, and user-friendly
    • "I have found some of the valuable features of AppDynamics Database Monitoring to be once the installation is complete, you are able to quickly start receiving metrics, which is great. The user interface is also very user-friendly."
    • "I have found it sometimes a bit difficult to trace the transaction all the way through to the application. I'm not sure if that problem is on the database side or on the application side, but that would be something that I would like to be improved. The traceability from the application to the database, sometimes, is a bit of a challenge. If you're using AppDynamics, with the Java agent, for instance, you need to be able to trace it through."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using AppDynamics Database Monitoring on-premise but we are migrating to the cloud.

We are using AppDynamics Database Monitoring to understand where the long queries are, and how your applications are performing against the database. You can actually see whether it's a database issue or if it's an application issue. Additionally, you can run explain plans against it, to see which queries need to be optimized.

What is most valuable?

I have found some of the valuable features of AppDynamics Database Monitoring to be once the installation is complete, you are able to quickly start receiving metrics, which is great. The user interface is also very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have found it sometimes a bit difficult to trace the transaction all the way through to the application. I'm not sure if that problem is on the database side or on the application side, but that would be something that I would like to be improved. The traceability from the application to the database, sometimes, is a bit of a challenge. If you're using AppDynamics, with the Java agent, for instance, you need to be able to trace it through.

I have been using AppDynamics Database Monitoring for approximately six years.

The solution is highly stable.

We have more than 100 people using the solution in my organization. We have plans to increase the usage of the solution in the future.

The installation is easy. It would take about an hour and a half maximum to do the installation because you need connectivity to the database itself. It was more a connectivity problem than it was an actual APM installation issue.

I am able to do the installation myself.

There is an annual cost for the use of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring an eight out of ten.

Senior Performance Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Fast and stable monitoring for effective issue resolution but needs networking monitoring functionality

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for enterprise-level monitoring, everything from application to database monitoring. The product will tell you everything. It will show you at the code level where the issue is. For example, the solution will analyze a database and it will tell you which of the CPUs are taking more time to execute, showing exactly where the issue is.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to find issues fast and resolve them.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have a dashboard and artificial intelligence for error detection and correlation for future releases.

I have been using the product for six years.

It is a stable product in my experience.

Their support is really good.

The setup was straightforward. It is easy to install, it took about half an hour.

We deployed the solution ourselves. We used one technical person to analyze the solution for deployment but then we did not need any technical assistance afterwards, it is pretty straight forward to understand.

The networking monitor function could be better, we are not getting many details from it.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and not difficult to configure. I would definitely recommend the solution, I have been working with it for the last five to six years. It's a really good product.

I rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Database Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    High performance, stable, and real-time evaluations
    • "The most valuable features of AppDynamics Database Monitoring are you can configure the performance and see in real-time what is exactly happening with the applications. Additionally, the dashboards are good."
    • "AppDynamics Database Monitoring could improve the price of the solution, it is costly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AppDynamics Database Monitoring is used as a performance monitoring tool for any application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of AppDynamics Database Monitoring are you can configure the performance and see in real-time what is exactly happening with the applications. Additionally, the dashboards are good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using AppDynamics Database Monitoring for approximately four years.

AppDynamics Database Monitoring is stable.

We have approximately 30 to 40 end-users using AppDynamics Database Monitoring. We do not have plans to increase the number of end-users.

I have not contacted the support from AppDynamics Database Monitoring.

We have purchased a few licenses for AppDynamics Database Monitoring and the price is high.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is that AppDynamics Database Monitoring is a very good monitoring tool. It would be a good choice.

I rate AppDynamics Database Monitoring an eight out of ten.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Dynatrace, Broadcom, and more!
    Updated: June 2022