AppDynamics Application Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AppDynamics Application Analytics is the #8 ranked solution in top IT Operations Analytics tools. PeerSpot users give AppDynamics Application Analytics an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. AppDynamics Application Analytics is most commonly compared to Splunk: AppDynamics Application Analytics vs Splunk. AppDynamics Application Analytics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the IT Operations Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is AppDynamics Application Analytics?

Application Analytics refers to the real-time analysis and visualization of automatically collected and correlated data to get insights into IT operations, customer experience and business outcomes. With this next generation of IT operations analytics platform, IT and business users are empowered to quickly answer more meaningful questions than ever before, all in real-time.

AppDynamics Application Analytics Customers

Sony, DirecTV, UBS, The Container Store, The Neta Porter Group, Nasdaq, Cisco, eHarmony, Hallmark, Overstock, Expedia

AppDynamics Application Analytics Video

Archived AppDynamics Application Analytics Reviews (more than two years old)

Business Development Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Excellent and highly-automated; allows for problem analysis at code level
  • "Immediately allows you to see the relationships between the different nodes."
  • "Customization requires a few manual tweaks."

What is our primary use case?

With this solution, we see traditional use cases with companies that have a digital business model, such as insurance companies, travel or banking companies. It's really for where they have an application that is critical for the business and that brings in revenue. And when these applications are not available, they lose money.

For example, in the tourism sector, when you want to book a flight or just about anything, and the app is too slow, then the use case is quite easy to calculate because clients leave the page, go and find alternatives and don't come back.

Most of our customers are midsize and enterprise companies, it's not really a solution for small companies. We are an IT service provider and a Cisco partner, and we represent and invest in AppDynamics. I'm the Director of Application Performance Management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it shows and gives you an application propo-topology straight away so you see the relationships between the different nodes. The other thing is that you can really look inside the method and analyze problems on the code level.

What needs improvement?

I think what AppDynamics is doing is a good way forward. They are currently investing in situations and environments, where clients use exclusively IT. In the past, it was only possible to monitor Java applications, .net applications, and the like, but they now have a particular agent for the SAP environment and that is a good thing.

It's a highly automated solution but still requires a few manual tweaks. I don't think that can be changed because every business to a certain extent is different.

I've been using the solution for 12 months.

IT Operations Analytics
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about AppDynamics, Splunk, Moogsoft and others in IT Operations Analytics. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution.

Scalability is fine. Actually, there is a very low overhead on the CPU. Even with big installations, the maximum overhead of the CPU is like 2% which is really fine. You don't feel it. You can easily add it into your environment without slowdowns or anything.

I think the technical support is quite okay, there is a lot of self service, so it's easy to resolve problems by yourself. And then you have the SLA's, the standard SLA's and SLA's that you agree with the company. We don't get many complaints about that. It usually works well.

DataDoc is a solution that we might have used but it's really suited to small companies. I would really say if you are an enterprise company, then AppDynamics is the product of choice, but if you are a small company, just starting a business and you need a solution that is quick and easy to install and gets up to speed very quickly, then DataDoc is an alternative.

AppDynamics has a lot of functionality, features - a whole set of functions around business IQ that required a lot of research. You have to make sure that you have a team in place to get the best out of the solution. It's a very rich tool and requires a structure within an organization. If you are a small company and you cannot guarantee that you have somebody on your team or a whole team to deal with it, you won't get the best out of it.

It is very easy to set up a first installation and to get results very quickly. It is a little bit more complex to do customizations. You do have a dashboard or standard dashboards where you can get business results or show business results, but you have to do a lot of customization because every business is different.

We carry out the implementation for customers.

Cost is reasonable. They have developed a very solid and good methodology to find out if the use case is valid, meaning whether there is a return on investment. If you find a valid use case, like in tourism, in banking, insurance, or even in production environments like manufacturing in confined business cases, then it's worth the investment. It's easy to calculate and the return on investment is quite quick. If the technical fit is not so good, it would be too expensive and not worth the investment.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest a company takes the time to do an analysis of use cases, of the situation,of what you really need, and then pick the best fit. It's not something you compare by price or simply by features. It is something you should look into for your specific situation and then make a decision based on the use case, based on the business case, the justification that it gives your organization to invest in that tool. Take your time to do that.

The other thing is, when you invest in a very rich tool, make sure that you have the people in place to look after it or get a managed service to do it. It's not something that you install and it's there and you get the most out of it. You have to look after it.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Johann Delaunay - PeerSpot reviewer
Johann DelaunayKey Account Manager at ITRS Group
MSP

Thank you very much for the review. A simple question for me, when you say DataDoc, do you mean " DataDog " as a Cloud Monitoring solution?

Project architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable with great business and session monitoring

What is most valuable?

• The analytics are great.
  • The business and session monitoring are great.

What needs improvement?

One thing that could be improved is the user interface. Things could be more intuitive.

I have used AppDynamics Application Analytics for a few months. I have used Dynatrace for a few years.

It is a stable product.

It is very good from a scalability perspective.

Technical support is great.

It's difficult to install. AppDynamics uses multiple agents. The challenge in the installation is that you have to configure a lot of things manually. The way you install and configure it is not straightforward.

AppDynamics is a great tool but Dynatrace is slightly ahead in terms of user-friendliness.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it.

IT Operations Analytics
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user952728 - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good solution for application monitoring and scalability
  • "We had no issues with scalability. It was very good for us."
  • "The user experience is quite confusing. There are too many different development stages. The UI is not very intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We were testing this solution and wanted to do application monitoring for our websites.

What needs improvement?

The user experience is quite confusing. There are too many different development stages. The UI is not very intuitive.

The solution can be improved with more AI as well as more automatic warnings and updates.

We have been testing the solution for one month.

The solution is very stable.

We had no issues with scalability. It was very good for us. At the time we were using it, we had about 30 users on the solution.

We only had a consultant that helped us during deployment and they were okay. Other than that, we never have had to reach out to technical support.

Compared to competitors, the initial setup was complex, but overall it was easy. Deployment took about eight hours.

We had a consultant from AppDynamics help us. They helped from time to time to fix any technical issues we faced.

We did market research and looked at many different options. We found that this solution wasn't available for permanent installation, which was something that we required. In the end, we decided to go with Dynatrace, a competitor of AppDynamics. It has the same features and from what I have seen, it is a lot better in general.

What other advice do I have?

We used the on-premises version of the solution.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. Although we've decided against AppDynamics, I would still recommend the product.

it_user560445 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sos Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It drills down, showing snapshots of everything and bringing together different systems.

What is most valuable?

If you talk about the Application Analytics, we have different systems, all kinds of integrations from the application space, I have so many systems to integrate. For business transactions, I have more than 20-25 systems. Without getting these analytics, where there are bottlenecks in the system, and where I see an issue, it's very difficult to track and debug.

If I spend a long time debugging an issue, I'll see more revenue loss; more bad customer experiences, which impacts my business’ revenue. What we do with the analytics, we have installed AppDynamics, instrumentation, and everything. At any point in time, if we want instrumented data, we just go back and take it, pull up the analytics, and see what it is throwing up. It's drilling down; showing snapshots of everything; bringing together different systems. It's really helping us. It's easy. It doesn’t take too much time and does not impact any performance on the servers. It's not too complicated of a system to understand. It's very easy, more readable to the users; just go over and grab the snapshots, and say, “Hey, here is the issue.” Just go over and fix it, drill down to see what is causing a problem.

Recently, it helped us discover some security issues, which now we see have been there for few years. There is a loophole in the security system. It was taking way too long. I've been running millions of transactions, and we were not able to discover it. But with AppDynamics, we just started monitoring. It simply brought our attention to analytics, saying “Hey, here it is. It's behaving weird.” We were able to drill down and we found a few servers that were behaving weird. We're able to develop a fix. There was previously no way to discover the issue. If it’s working fine, it’s working fine, but those few transactions were taking a long time.

It's really helping. We're so happy. That's why we want to understand, see how much further we can leverage it. It is not just the analytics, but how can we take it to the business; how can we turn this into a business-centric tool, as well as application monitoring. We have seen some of other vendors and it's really awesome.

As of right now, we are just going with demand-based monitoring, when there is an issue, a performance bottleneck or something. However, we are also exploring how we can set the continuous monitoring system, where we can get more of the analytics, see more of the long snapshots and see what the actual problems are and where, even if we're meeting customer experience very well, we can go beyond these customer expectations by improving some things. These analytics are helping us to build on those areas.

What needs improvement?

In the Business iQ, I don't know how much they’re trying to grab it, but we want to see more of the transaction, each and every area, from the users’ perspective to the end of the transaction, from the user to the network. There could be situations where the user is sitting in some other region, trying to access a system that is located in US data centres; there wasn't a problem from that. I want the transaction details from the data centre to the back end systems, and the back end systems to third-party integration. I should be able to correlate different transactions; all the pieces onto the dashboard, saying, “This is how it turns out.” That's what we are actually looking for.

We want a single monitoring tool. We don't want thousands in there because right now, I am discarding analytics monitoring tools. It's difficult to compare. Each tool has a different perspective but if you have a monitoring tool across everything, that’s where we see scope for improvement.

We want to explore more. We just started. We were on a different technology. We just started, so we want to explore it more and then see how it scales up.

It works as usual. I'll give an example. We have seen some other application monitoring systems from other vendors I won’t mention, where, as soon as we implement the monitoring system and start the application, the monitoring itself kills the performance, which is severe and so complicated in solutions. AppDynamics is just simple to put in. The agent shows a zero impact on the application servers, which we use Oracle. It's really good.

We've never used technical support, because it’s easy, super easy. We have reached out a few times just to understand more of how much we can use it, but not on the performance which AppDynamics is causing. There were misconceptions in the beginning that maybe it is causing a problem, but even after turning it off, the problem did not go away. We later realized it is not the problem. There were some interpretations about it later on, but it was pretty good.

We were previously using a different technology.

I was not involved in the setup. We have separate team for that. We are the architects. We requested they put it in the first place but there is an infrastructure team. They do the setup. The guidance which AppDynamics provided was really helpful.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely would recommend AppDynamics. After looking at the snapshots, I think I see we're using less than 5-10% of what AppDynamics is capable of. I would definitely recommend exploring not just the analytics and the Business iQ, but I would also encourage you to show the network stats on the Business iQ, which is very important, very critical, and is very difficult to find out those things. Definitely those are really helpful.

We do not use any other AppDynamics solutions, but we were exploring the Business iQ at a recent AppDynamics conference. There was another application, End User Monitoring. I wanted to see that piece of it. It looks pretty interesting and I want to see how it takes.

it_user560457 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It correlates page analytics with the real-time experience of the user. We see a lot of lag with the dashboards and reports.

What is most valuable?

We are more on end-user monitoring, so it helps us to find out each and every page, do the analytics on the pages, the user experience; correlate that information with the real-time experience of the user. Though, there are some things we just enabled. It gives only the system time, not the actual user time. We have a lot of virtual pages. It's a one-page app, but we have a lot of virtual pages. In those cases, the analytics will come in handy and we'll be able to find out more information, more detail to look into.

How has it helped my organization?

We just started using it, so we are just trying to find out where the problems are, and we're trying to fix them, even before the user complains.

We just started using this product in the last six months. We have started implementing more and more applications. We are in the learning phase now, so we haven't implemented the full thing yet. We are just under observation; we'll see how we can use this effectively.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements with the dashboards. Dashboards and reports is where we see a lot of lag. If that can be improved, it would be good. The expectation from our side is mostly with the dashboards and reports. I'm not sure whether it might be a bug or something. It's all been reported already. They're saying that this will be addressed in the upcoming versions. Hopefully; we are waiting for it.

We have been using it for six months.

We have not had that many stability or scalability issues.

We were previously using a few software tools. We are in process of consolidating the applications into one enterprise tool, inside of having multiple tools doing individual jobs. We want to have one solution for the enterprise. That's why started doing the PoCs and then we ending up getting AppDynamics.

We have used technical support many times. We have created so many tickets. They're really good. The response is really very fast. That's the one thing I like about the tech support: They respond really fast.

We also looked at New Relic Insights.

It wasn’t our decision to choose AppDynamics. We just gave our feedback on the tools to management and they made the decision, whichever was the cost-effective one.

When we look at a vendor to work with, the most important thing is that they have to understand our business. That's what we are looking for. The vendor should understand our business and customize or direct us on what is our need, and just stick to that. Offering a thousand tools, we don't want that. We just need one tool that solves our issues.

What other advice do I have?

Go through the AppDynamics docs first, before you start implementing. The documents are good, and you have good videos. It has step-by-step instructions, and it is straightforward. Go out and do it. For any new user, just go to the documents; anyone can read them and get started.

We also use AppDynamics APMJava monitoring and the .NET agents. We are also using the database monitoring and the server monitoring service availability. We’re happy with them.

it_user560424 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Engineering Manager at a photography company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can use it to visually see the transactions happening.

What is most valuable?

The main thing is that you can use the tool to visually see the transactions happening; figure out the bottlenecks quickly; and the ability to drill down from a high level and go down to the details and figure out where bottlenecks are.

How has it helped my organization?

Our architecture is very complicated. We're an e-commerce company, so we have a lot of integrations, a lot of server types, all kinds of server types. What AppDynamics lets you do is see all of it at a high level and then drill down to each node and figure out if we have a real problem.

What needs improvement?

If you want to complete the picture of monitoring applications, I think AppDynamics should invest more in client-side monitoring. That includes having smart plugins to figure out if you have issues, and JavaScript running, and things like that. For example, companies like Bugsnag complete the picture. If AppDynamics wants to complete their portfolio, I think they should invest in the client side, because client side is growing.

We use Bugsnag as a complementary tool. It has features that I'd like to see implemented in AppDynamics.

The tool is a little complicated. I think the UI should be more friendly. It should have a simple version and a customized version; an advanced mode and simple mode. Simple mode should guide you more, should have more straightforward flows for newcomers. Then, as you move along and become more of an expert with the tool, you should have an advanced mode and change the view to something with more details. Right now, you go in and it's overwhelming.

One of the biggest problems is when you connect it to database monitoring or other nodes, it also has some impact on the system. You have to figure out the right things to monitor; for us, we have to pick our battles.

It can be slow at times. I'm guessing that maybe it's mainly because we have a lot of information that it has to process. Other than that, I think it's fine.

What other advice do I have?

The first thing is you need to identify where the main issue is: do you need end-user monitoring or do you need more of an infrastructure monitoring tool. Then figure out where to place it and how to connect it to everything.

In general, when I’m looking to work with a vendor, the most important criteria are fast response, and having the right attention to details when we have an issue.

We also use AppDynamics Database Monitoring. We tried a few other tools, like the End User Monitoring. We tried a lot of tools. We have been using a lot of AppDyanmics portfolio tools. In general, we're happy with them.

Joy Davidson, Scm - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Director, DevOps at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
It automatically creates a dynamic baseline for the apps' performance that can vary over time.

Valuable Features

AppDynamics has over six products and most of them install pretty easily, with the application agent installation and configuration being the easiest.

AppDynamics includes a service application map of the call load, response, environment health index, and transactions that are dynamically rated on one easy-to-use page. Each page has visual clues that make debugging easy.

AppDynamics automatically creates a dynamic baseline for the apps performance that varies over time. For example, the definition of a slow transaction might vary under low and high loads on the system.

Improvements to My Organization

We are currently rolling the tool out to the whole organization, so more to come here....

Room for Improvement

Support is off-shore and somewhat slow. The EULA does not contain strong language for support. That being said, the support has not been a problem to date.

The licensing model is difficult to use and can be expensive. Our technology landscape is very broad, so understanding the pricing model by agent can only be done after a deep dive into matching agents to types of technologies. That being said, AppDynamics has worked closely with us to understand our needs and license appropriately.

As stated, deployment was easy as a SaaS solution.

No stability issues.

The SaaS solution scales well.

Excellent sales support!

Technical support is off-shore and often questions have at least one day of turnaround.