IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AlienVault OSSIM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AlienVault OSSIM is #12 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. PeerSpot users give AlienVault OSSIM an average rating of 8 out of 10. AlienVault OSSIM is most commonly compared to AT&T AlienVault USM: AlienVault OSSIM vs AT&T AlienVault USM. AlienVault OSSIM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is AlienVault OSSIM?

AlienVault OSSIM, Open Source Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), provides you with a feature-rich open source SIEM complete with event collection, normalization and correlation. Launched by security engineers because of the lack of available open source products, AlienVault OSSIM was created specifically to address the reality many security professionals face: A SIEM, whether it is open source or commercial, is virtually useless without the basic security controls necessary for security visibility.

AlienVault OSSIM was previously known as OSSIM.

AlienVault OSSIM Customers

Council Rock School District

AlienVault OSSIM Video

AlienVault OSSIM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AlienVault OSSIM pricing:
  • "AlienVault OSSIM is free."
  • "We are using the community version, which can be used for free."
  • "We are using a free version of the solution. If you purchase a license there are more features available but the price is a little high. The solution should be cheaper to allow more customers to be able to afford it."
  • AlienVault OSSIM Reviews

Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Very good out-of-the-box, pre-integrated features, which save us time
    • "Inbuilt IDS, inbuilt integration with threat intelligence platform and with vulnerability assessment modules."
    • "Lacking in depth of reporting."

What is our primary use case?

This product would typically be used by a client who would be looking at dipping his feet into the SIEM space and understanding how to go about setting up an SOC without putting in a large up-front investment. I'm the director of our company and we are partners with AlienVault.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers great models with good integration and this is one of the out-of-the-box features which you're able to easily enable and get it up and running. It's a big plus for the product, because you don't have to bother your head about doing the integrations. Other good features include an inbuilt IDS, an inbuilt integration with their own threat intelligence platform which is the OTX, and integration with the vulnerability assessment modules.

What needs improvement?

I believe this solution still has a way to go. From a management console perspective and the maturity of the dashboards, I would probably put it slightly behind some of the other players that have been in the market for ages. The leading vendors of SIEM already have a very mature user interface with evolved dashboards and reporting mechanisms. There is a lot of depth in that, but not everybody is looking for that. If your requirements are functional and you're looking for something that's easily deployable and simple to understand and manage, without the necessity of a very large team, I would choose this solution.  An additional feature I'd like to see would be an increase in the depth of reporting. IBM has AI enabled dashboards which are supposed to be intuitive. They are difficult to configure and that's a problem, but they are very rich in terms of the information that they provide. There is a lot of granular detail and different ways in which you can slice and dice and present the same data. I would also like to see the product handle larger scale deployments and more third party integrations.

I've been using this solution for three years.
    Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about AT&T, Elastic, Splunk and others in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM). Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable solution.

It's scalable, but AlienVault is not an enterprise class solution in the sense that it cannot go beyond 15000 EPS, which limits the market that it can address. That's a drawback, but expansion might not be what the company wants and they're happy to remain in the 2000 to 3000 EPS range, in which case it's a great product for its market.

We don't use the support very much as we manage to deal with most issues in-house. The technical support they provide is okay. We haven't had too many problems but my reference point might be slightly slanted, because we don't have such a large installed base.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward and doesn't take much time. AlienVault has its own vulnerability module and its own OTX feed. All of these are pre-integrated which makes for a speedy deployment. The issue is that these days nobody employs SIEM alone. It needs to be able to correlate information not only from its own data sources, but also from third-party data sources, like vulnerability tools, like threat intelligence feeds, like forensic data, and these third party integrations add to implementation time. Each situation is different and deployment time depends on the scale of the infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the SOC or SIEM enterprise class products are very expensive, whereas with OSSIM you can start out with a smaller setup and then expand as you wish. It's great because you get a pre-integrated, ready to run platform, which you can deploy. You don't have to bother about the integrations too much. This platform provides an adequate level of experience for that kind of an integrated intelligence gathering in any IT setup at a reasonable cost. It makes the entry easier for somebody who's not so well versed in these technologies and so on. I think that's the principal use case for AlienVault's product line. Make sure to choose the right partner to do the implementation. It's important that they know and understand the technology. They should have a very good understanding of the tool as well as an understanding of the security and operations space so that they are able to deliver on what you want to achieve as an outcome.  I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Sharad Agrawal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-Founder and Director - Information Technology at Techneow
    Good architecture, excellent threat policies, and very stable
    • "The threat policies of the solution are always very advanced and the best in the market. They are very persistent in terms of keeping up with security protocols."
    • "There needs to be more support or some kind of training program so users can self-learn the system more effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented the solution for one of our client's e-commerce spaces. Our customer wanted to monitor the complete security posture.

What is most valuable?

We really like the solution's architecture. There's a logon, clients, an agent, and then the server. All of these were deployed in a multilayer architecture.

The threat policies of the solution are always very advanced and the best in the market. They are very persistent in terms of keeping up with security protocols.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The stability is quite good. There's no hindrance to the user. It's reliable and doesn't seem to have any bugs or glitches.

The scalability is something I wouldn't be able to comment much on. Since it was on-premises setup, and there was no such dynamic need from the customer in terms of expanding.

There's a team of seven currently working on the solution. Our overall monitoring was divided into three sections. One is a network monitoring, and then there are apps monitoring and monitoring the storage.

We're not involved in the engagement anymore, so I haven't heard if the client has plans to increase usage, however, due to its general limited scalability as hardware, I don't think that they would.

We were in touch with technical support a bit when we were doing the implementation. The training and knowledge they provided was minimal and usually through email. We struggled a bit.

We were pretty limited to AlienVault with this particular client. They needed something on-premises and didn't want to look at cloud options. We've used QRadar and Sentinal in the past, however, for this customer, we decided AlienVault was best.

The initial setup was a bit complex. That may have been multiplied by the fact that there was a lack of skills on the team. If they had more training, it probably would have been a bit easier or more straightforward.

Deployment took us almost two months, including having to set up all of the infrastructure for it. We worked with about 140 monitoring devices. It wasn't too large of a setup. The client wanted us to build and operate something a bit more modern than their older setup. We worked with them to set up a complete 24/7 soft center on-premise.

The entire setup and deployment took about four months, and that included not just the IT part but the work area as well. We had to secure the room, put in power, supply air conditioners, etc. That's a pretty standard setup in terms of the physical space.

We had four people working on the deployment, one of which was a very senior professional with 20+ years of experience.

We had one internal consultant who did the entire implementation for us.

I'm not sure what the cost of the solution is. It may be in the ballpark of $60,000 to $100,000.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the product.

We're using the enterprise edition of the solution, the MSSP edition, however, I'm unsure which version it is we're currently on.

Typically, we get requests for QRadar, AlienVault, or Sentinal. QRadar and AlienVault are the top choices for the most part, and we work with both. We try to accommodate our client's preferences.

I'd rate the solution overall at eight out of ten.

Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solutions Architect - Team Lead at a computer software company with self employed
    Reseller
    It is free, powerful, and user-friendly with a well-integrated dashboard
    • "Its user-friendliness is the most valuable. It is very easy to use and explore. The dashboard is very well packaged and integrated. You don't have to spend a lot of time in configuring it and checking out the RPM etc. It is also free and very powerful."
    • "They can add more compliance templates."

What is most valuable?

Its user-friendliness is the most valuable. It is very easy to use and explore. The dashboard is very well packaged and integrated. You don't have to spend a lot of time in configuring it and checking out the RPM etc.

It is also free and very powerful.

What needs improvement?

They can add more compliance templates.

I have been using AlienVault OSSIM since 2015.

It is a quite stable product.

It is perfectly scalable. We have ten in-house users.

I have used Splunk. AlienVault OSSIM and Splunk differ mainly in price. In Splunk, we need to do the correlation ourselves. Alienvault OSSIM is more user friendly. I don't have to learn a particular SQL language to do a query. It provides a new way of creating a query for any security event or management.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It doesn't take more than 15 minutes, and you are done.

We predominantly deploy it on-premises. We have a few deployments on the cloud, but our focus is primarily on the on-premises deployments.

AlienVault OSSIM is free.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution. It is already more than adequate. It is a perfectly nice and free tool for compliance testing, assessment, and some basic vulnerability.

I would advise upgrading to its paid version, USM, to get more features. It's well worth the money because of the provided threat intelligence, support, and training. When you upgrade to the paid version, you enjoy all these features. OSSIM doesn't have all these features because it is a freeware.

AlienVault OSSIM is backed up by AT&T Cybersecurity, which is a Fortune Top 20 company. When you upgrade to the paid version, you also get support from AT&T, which is good.

I would rate AlienVault OSSIM a nine out of ten. I'm very happy with this solution. It is a great product.

Hakeem  Olufadi - PeerSpot reviewer
    infrastructure and security Analyst at holmen consulting
    Easy to set up with good training and helpful technical support
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "The incidence reporting could be better."

What is most valuable?

The self-paced training is pretty good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

You can scale the solution.

Technical support is excellent. They are very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

ArcSight works better than AlienVault right now.

The incidence reporting could be better. We'd like to be able to better privatize certain logs that handle certain detections. It's really important to us.

The integration capabilities could be improved.

I've been using the solution for over three years at this point.

The solution has been quite stable for us. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product can scale. The only problem we have with it is the integration. For example, we were trying to integrate a solution in the server for retaining logs on AlienVault. We tried everything possible, however, it just wouldn't integrate. In contrast, when we move to ArcSight, we could do it one time and it was working just fine. There were no integration issues.

When we have had to reach out to them, they were brilliant. They were prompt and very precise.

We've used ArcSight as well. We used it on a particular project recently. It's easier to integrate items in it as compared to AlienVault. Aside from that, they are very similar products.

The implementation process is pretty simple and straightforward. It's not difficult or complex at all. A company shouldn't have issues handling it.

The only issue that comes into play is when you want to integrate it with other vendors.

Overall, I'd rate the deployment process at a four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. For the most part, I am satisfied with its capabilities.

System Administrator at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Customizable dashboards and reports, offers abnormal behavior detection, and the support is good
    • "You can customize the dashboards as well as the reporting."
    • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AlienVault for vulnerability scanning and detecting abnormal behavior.

What is most valuable?

This product is easy to use.

The support is very good and they offer managed services.

The dashboards are good. You can customize the dashboards as well as the reporting.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be more focus on the NOC and IIS in terms of developing applications for behavior detection.

The backup features use a lot of storage space.

The documentation could be improved.

Asset management and filtering are in need of fine-tuning and enhancement.

I have been working with AlienValut since 2018.

AlienValut is a very stable product.

The technical support is perfect.

I have worked with LogRhythm in the past, since 2015, and I find that AlienVault is a better product. We are facing a technical issue with LogRhythm, as it is still used in other parts of our organization. I am looking to finalize and unify the solution.

We needed better detection to give us information from the IS about geography or abnormal behavior that is breaching our security. Most of our products are web applications and this is important to us.

We are currently looking into implementing a PoC for either ManageEngine or FortiSIEM.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering AlienVault is to implement a proof of concept to ensure that it meets their requirements. A PoC should be done before settling on any product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Midhun Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Infrastructure at Pearl Data Direct
    Community forums provide good support, but it is not user-friendly and the correlation engine needs improvement
    • "The most valuable feature is the logging capability."
    • "The correlation engine needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for collecting logs. We are not correlating or assessing any user behavior analytics (UBA).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the logging capability.

What needs improvement?

The correlation engine needs to be improved.

The interface is not user-friendly, which is an area for improvement.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It's a stable solution.

This is certainly a scalable product.

The Community version does not have any technical support.

We have been able to resolve some issues through the community forums.

Previously, we did not use another similar product.

We are using the community version, which can be used for free.

We have decided to implement a fully-featured SIEM solution that has all of the features, including UBA.

What other advice do I have?

Because we are using the community version, we were unable to explore features such as behavior analytics.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Chief Operating Officer at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Stable, scalable, and useful reporting
    • "The paid version of the solution has reporting and better scalability options."
    • "When comparing AlienVault OSSIM to other solutions it looks a bit outdated. Additionally, they need to improve their integration."

What is our primary use case?

I have deployed AlienVault OSSIM in a couple of small environments for monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The paid version of the solution has reporting and better scalability options.

What needs improvement?

When comparing AlienVault OSSIM to other solutions it looks a bit outdated. Additionally, they need to improve their integration.

I have been using AlienVault OSSIM for approximately seven years.

The solution is stable.

The free version is lacking some of the scalability options.

I have used QRadar and ArcSight.

The configuration of the solution is difficult. There are videos we can watch but we do not have time to watch videos. We want there to be better documentation that we can use.

I have evaluated ELK Stack and Security Onion.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AlienVault OSSIM an eight out of ten.

Download our free Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about AT&T, Elastic, Splunk, and more!
    Updated: June 2022