IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AlgoSec OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AlgoSec is #1 ranked solution in top Firewall Security Management tools. PeerSpot users give AlgoSec an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. AlgoSec is most commonly compared to Tufin: AlgoSec vs Tufin. AlgoSec is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
AlgoSec Buyer's Guide

Download the AlgoSec Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is AlgoSec?

AlgoSec, a global cybersecurity leader, empowers organizations to secure application connectivity by automating connectivity flows and security policy, anywhere.

The AlgoSec platform enables the world’s most complex organizations to gain visibility, reduce risk, and process changes at zero-touch across the hybrid network.

AlgoSec’s patented application-centric view of the hybrid network enables business owners, application owners, and information security professionals to talk the same language, so organizations can deliver business applications faster while achieving a heightened security posture.

Over 1,800 of the world’s leading organizations trust AlgoSec to help secure their most critical workloads across public cloud, private cloud, containers, and on-premises networks while taking advantage of almost two decades of leadership in Network Security Policy Management.

See what securely accelerating your digital transformation, move-to-cloud, infrastructure modernization, or micro-segmentation initiatives looks like at www.algosec.com

AlgoSec Customers

Maersk, Delta Airlines, Chevron, General Motors, T-Mobile, Chevron, AT&T, BP, Bell Canada, HCA Healthcare, Morgan Stanley, Unilever, Nationwide Insurance Enterprise, US Bank, Microsoft

AlgoSec Video

Archived AlgoSec Reviews (more than two years old)

Sahanawaz khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Platform Owner at Emirates NBD
Has made our life easier by optimizing and cleaning up tasks within a short span of time
  • "Traffic Analyzer provided the centralized view for our IT SOC operations to focus mainly on high-risk firewall rules exposing with explicit any rules."
  • "Algosec should also be exploring the integration with the open source firewalls as well."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution was to optimize and cleanup all the unused legacy firewall rules from multiple firewalls which was massive in terms of time and effort.

The other user case in our environment was to automate all the manual day to day firewall changes to reduce the turnaround time for application owners.

We wanted to have central visibility for our entire firewall portfolio to see the firewall flow of traffic traversing through multiple layers of firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

Definitely with the help of this solution it made our life easier to optimize and clean up the task within a short span of time which provided the quick visibility of all the rules to be actioned.

The other best feature is the Fire flow module which is in the process of implementation to automate the firewall rules changes along with the workflow model right from the requester to the implementer.

What is most valuable?

Both the modules of AlgoSec solution which has been on-boarded in our environment are amazing to use it as it provides a central end to end visibility of the firewall rules spanning across the multiple layers of the firewall.

It's helping our Risk and Compliance team to assess all our firewall rules periodically and help us to remain compliant.

It saves a lot of manual time especially in daily operations and increases the turnaround time for business.

It has helped us internally to provide the documentation for our auditing and reporting purposes.

What needs improvement?

AlgoSec should explore integrating more multi-vendor platforms and should be looking towards ready infrastructure for providing Infrastructure as service (IAAS) on any cloud platforms as the trend and technology is gradually moving from In House platforms to Cloud platforms.

Algosec should also be exploring the integration with the open source firewalls as well.

The GUI features of Algosec solution should be more flexible to use and adopt.

AlgoSec
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about AlgoSec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using this solution for one year.

In terms of scalability, it's a license-based model to add license at any point of time when you have any new firewalls added in the portfolio.

Customer service is good but needs more improvement to be on listening side of the customers.

No, this is the first time we have introduced this solution.

Our Initial setup was not so straight forward as we were exploring all the features to its depth so lots of engagement was done with OEM level to explore and implement in our environment.

We went through local vendor support however the involvement from OEM was also huge and phenomenal.

Definitely the simplicity to use this solution is the key factor to be a leader in this competition and the other factor is the response and support model.

We went through the RFP process evaluation for all the magic quadrant leaders of the  market.

reviewer1340760 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network & Collaboration Engineer at Btg Pactual S.A.
More visibility into our firewall and security environment using a single pane of glass
  • "The product gave us more agility on the process to analyze and resolve tickets by requesting permissions to access services not enabled by default."
  • "The product should support more vendors with the same in-depth analysis that it already is providing. This would give more reasons to for other companies to adopt it."

What is our primary use case?

We use it daily to check existing rules created on all our firewalls and existing flows that are allowed, and if we can improve the performance of our firewalls by just doing the rearrangement of rules, etc.

We got more productive and agile using the product since the most time consuming job of our team is the creation of firewall rules, analyzing what is already created based on the requests of our users and internal costumers. The solution provides us an in-depth detail of what we have already in production and what we can do to resolve tickets/requests in the most effective way.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have more visibility into our firewall and security environment using a single pane of glass. We have a better audit of what our network and security engineers are doing on each device and are now able to see how much we are complaint with our baseline.

The product gave us more agility in the process to analyze and resolve tickets by requesting permissions to access services not enabled by default. At the same time, providing visibility of what we can improve on the scenario that we are already running on it.

What is most valuable?

The quick wins that the product can help us to achieve. With a few rule arrangements, we can improve the rule processing of the firewalls, increasing their performance and reducing possible bottlenecks, but keep us under the defined baseline of the company.

Also, the gain on the agility of checking what we already have created. The rules that can accommodate new requests instead of creating new rules have definitely helped us to resolve tickets in a faster way, achieving the expected SLA from users and internal customers of the company.

What needs improvement?

The product should support more vendors with the same in-depth analysis that it already is providing. This would give more reasons to for other companies to adopt it and make us preserve the investment in case we change the running environment.

Five months.

It is very stable without any major issues.

We don't see scalability on this product as a showstopper. We are confident that we can grow without any impact.

Very good. They helped us on everything that we needed.

We stopped using FireMon due to the price and lack of features.

Through a vendor who fulfilled all our expectations.

It is fair.

For cloud environments, it can be expensive. The model adopted to use as licensing for the cloud environment should be reviewed since it sometimes can increase the value of the service/product in an unexpected way. For example, they should instead use the amount of instances, which should just take into consideration the number of Security Groups and ACLs.

AlgoSec
August 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Security Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Impressive rule base analysis, compliance features, and report generation
    • "The process to replace a decommissioned device with a new device is not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for rulebase analysis. AlgoSec provides great unified visibility into all policy packages in one place. Also, the compliance feature is quite useful.

It is great for checking rules/objects across numerous policies/domains, as well as generating advanced reports about risks, trends in recent changes, covered and unused rules, and if you want to go really deep in rule base optimisation - unused objects. This helps our team to keep network access up to date and secure.

How has it helped my organization?

Growing big requires an increased level of automation and less manual tasks, and this is where AlgoSec comes into the picture.

It has being used for CheckPoint environment with numerous domains, hundreds of Firewalls and numerous policy packages, and Algosec able to provide single point of review. Security risks reports and rules analysis are very handy to optimise company's security posture and operational excellence.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the rule base optimization, which provides extremely valuable information about inactive rules, and rules that can be optimized or unified.

In addition it is about tracking insecure changes and getting better visibility into network security environment - either on-prem, cloud or mixed.

We are also going to implement full change management via Algosec as it allows to eliminate human error, ease on security governance and improve general ROI.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, the user should be granted more flexibility to choose exactly which devices per CMA should be analyzed.

With the upgrade to CheckPoint R80.xx we have started to see some issues, although this version was already some time on the market, hence I was surprised that there was no full compatibility achieved. Nevertheless, working with support and professional services solved our problems.

I have been using this solution for one to three years.

This solution is stable. There has been zero technical support interaction during last two years.

Support is build in tier model so the case can be always escalated to more advanced level if needed

We did not use another solution prior to this one. However, it was picked up after careful review and comparison with similar products.

The setup was long in the past but recent upgrades were flawless and support engineers knowledgeable

Our company have close relationship with Algosec team and they are always showing great level of expertise along with the will to develop custom solutions in case of need

The pricing for this solution seems to be reasonable for the functionality.

We have evaluated number of solutions which are available on the Market. In my opinion several of them were concentrating to much on security operations and SOAR while not having that much functionality related to managing rulebases. Solid firewall change management is something must to have as it is provide strong basis for security governance, improves company's posture and allow to reduce risks in rapidly growing companies associated with multiple changes which might be not properly assessed or implemented as a security exception.

What other advice do I have?

As my company uses basic package, I quite happy with the functionality.

Amit Gumber - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at HCL Technologies
    During extreme load in business hours, it works well without any issues
    • "It helps us to streamline our firewall rules, identify risks, and provide better visibility. This product has significantly saved the time and human efforts in creating and deploying firewall rules. It is now easier for our cybersecurity team to analyze firewalls rules and ACLs, using them in a more efficient manner."
    • "We are running multiple hybrid cloud solutions, working with cloud providers, and looking for API integrations with cloud and related interoperability. Sometimes, when we are trying to delete or disable any rule, it takes more time than expected."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Firewall Analyzer (AFA) to compare configurations from multiple firewalls, such as Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, Check Point, and so on. It helps us to streamline our firewall rules, identify risks, and provide better visibility. This product has significantly saved the time and human efforts in creating and deploying firewall rules. It is now easier for our cybersecurity team to analyze firewalls rules and ACLs, using them in a more efficient manner. Other features are also very important for us.

How has it helped my organization?

With the help of this product, we can manage all the network security equipment in a centralized way. We are also able to make requests to our security team about quick and valid changes requests, helping to minimize the workload in documentation, troubleshooting and so on. This helps to identify any wrong or unnecessary changes in the network security perimeter, making sure that all security policies and best practices are followed in our network domain. During change implementation, and especially after completion, we can validate, make sure that everything is working fine, and is up-to-date per our expectations.

What is most valuable?

It’s capability to build and present entire network topology via map makes team members to easily investigate the entire domain. Whenever new applications and services get on boarded and traffic rules and policies being created it automatically discovered those Apps and services and makes life easy. Each and every performance report can be fully automated using this and saves time in audit and compliance requirement.It also helps us to clean old and obsolete rules or those rules which are not in use otherwise it could be very difficult without this product as team have to log into each firewall and remove rules and policies

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, the web browser has issues with slowness. It can be worked out with a click or two.

We are using Algosec Firewall Analyzer referred to as (AFA) since 2018.

This is very stable, robust product. During extreme load in business hours, it works well without any issues.

It provides interoperability with all vendor firewalls and the scalability is much easier.

Technical support is always good whenever we contact the support team. We always get an immediate response and a solution within defined timelines.

Earlier we are not using any solution but always planning to procure solution that have ability to integrate multi vendor firewalls into single platform and after assessments and evaluations with OEM products we finally select Algosec as approved solution.

Initial setup was very simple. Using Quickstart help, any member can take part in deployment and administration from basic to advanced level.

Only the firewall integration could take time due to some complex interactions.

We implemented using our own internal team and with the help of AlgoSec technical support team. AlgoSec technical support was excellent and prompt.

It provides an improvement in the firewall process load. It also helps with increasing CPU and memory utilization.

When it comes to the cost of support and licensing, it is much cheaper than other competing products.

We have tried FireMon and Tufin under a non-production environment, but the overall features of AlgoSec were best. Therefore, we choose this product for our production environment.

What other advice do I have?

Excellent product to use and has tremendous support from OEM.

We have not faced many problems or issues using this product.

We also have not tested AI or ML capabilities and are very keen to start working with it now.

Overall, it is well-maintained, robust platform tool for firewall management.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Resp. Area de Segurança at REN
    AlgoBot checks if rules already exist or finds out easily where they need to be configured
    • "AlgoBot is a brilliantly, simple idea that lets us give our IT internal customers a way to check if rules are already in place before asking for more."
    • "The license rekeying needed for when you need to change a firewall usually takes a bit of time."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use cases for this solution are:

• Firewall Rule optimization
    • Topology mapping of various firewalls
    • Automating the implementation of rules.
    • Reports warning before time based rules expire.

We also implemented the AlgoBot, which is extremely useful when checking if rules already exist or finding out easily where they need to be configured.

We have 20-plus firewalls from multi-vendors in several sites, both IT and OT. Therefore, an automated way to manage firewalls is a must, especially since staff is always on the short side.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has saved us a lot of time in managing our rule base which has become increasingly large. With 20-plus multi-vendor firewalls, it gets really hard to manage without a solution like AlgoSec. This has helped us to fulfill our internal SLAs for change implementation.

The fine tuning of the policies is a lot faster and repeatable.

The compliance factor has also helped us a lot where we can show auditing that we have a repository for all the changes made in the firewalls, who made them, and at what time.

Gone are the days where time-based rules expire without anyone noticing. We have now automated reports sent to the team. This allows us to ask the involved asset owners if rules can be disabled or need to be extended.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable features are the firewall rule optimization, topology mapping, and automating the deployment of new rules in several multi-vendor devices.

With firewall rule optimization, you cannot only tune most used rules higher in the rule base, but also check for unused objects or rules to clean up.

The automatic implementation of rules in several firewalls simultaneously is also a great feature, especially in large environments or on short staffed teams.

What needs improvement?

AlgoBot should be more developed by adding more features to the chat.

We will be integrating with Cisco ACI soon. Hopefully, new features with this integration will be developed as well in terms of automation.

I came across a difficulty recently with a BGP enabled firewall that had a large number of routes. This wasn't directly supported due to a 3000 rule per firewall limit.

We've been using AlgoSec for over six years.

It has been running flawlessly since installation. Even upgrades are pretty straightforward and have never given us problems.

We have added 10 more firewalls to our 14 existing and have had no performance or scalability issues.

We have had several tickets opened and the responses were fast. This enabled us to solve our problems quickly. The only complaint is about the license rekeying needed for when you need to change a firewall. That usually takes a bit of time.

We did use a different solution for several years. The features and usability made us switch.

If you are knowledgeable about the firewalls that you intend to manage, the initial setup is really easy. The most difficult steps are configuring checkpoints for LEA integration where you need to create the object in each firewall, establish connectivity, install the database, install the policy, etc.

It was initially implemented through a vendor. Their level of expertise was good enough to implement the solution effortlessly.

Cost is based on firewall. There are bundles, e.g., virtual firewalls might make the solution cheaper.

The licensing scheme should be done in a simpler way. For example, if we delete a firewall and want to add a new one, then the license doesn't get freed up automatically. You have to request a new license to customer support and install it. If you are testing new implementations, this can be cumbersome.

We evaluated the main competitor, Tufin, because we were using it!

Jeffrey Cherpeski - PeerSpot reviewer
    MITP-2 at State of Nevada Department of Administration Message
    Traffic queries help when troubleshooting a problem, especially if the traffic goes through two or more firewalls
    • "Traffic queries are a great help when troubleshooting a problem, especially if the traffic is going through two or more firewalls."
    • "The initial cost was high for us, but we have always been behind the tech curve and cost has always been the limiting factor."

What is our primary use case?

I am the senior network security engineer in an environment of more than 80 firewalls ranging from ASA 5506-X to ASA 5585-X and now to FortiGate 3960E. As part of this position, I need to be able to audit firewalls and ensure that they are compliant to a number of policies.  Before AlgoSec, this was done in a very long, slow manual process, and it took days to audit even the smallest firewall. With AlgoSec, I can run a compliance report and see exactly where that firewall falls short.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has freed up my time to look into new solutions and complete other jobs that I have to get done. I have been able to shepherd the migration from Cisco ASA to FortiGate and using AlgoSec made that process much easier. Now, when I get a request for audit information, that information is available at a click. A PCI audit is no sweat. I know which firewalls fall under PCI, and I can provide the needed answers in minutes instead of days.  This has improved my use of time.

What is most valuable?

Policy optimization, compliance, and change reports are the most valuable. I can clean up firewall rules quickly, optimizing the rule set and moving on in hours. Before, I was looking at days. Compliance is a breeze. The change reports are helpful to see changes over time and also be a "second set of eyes" when looking into issues.

The mapping tool is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of specific improvements. If anything, the product has been improving in usefulness constantly.

I have been using AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer for approximately two and a half years now.

Product hotfixes are released regularly and are a breeze to install. I have dealt with other products that always promising to fix bugs, but it takes months or longer for the next patch to appear. AlgoSec is on top of this and in my opinion is a real leader with bug fixes.

Technical support is the best that I have ever dealt with. I have yet to have a support engineer tell me that they couldn't fix a problem or that it was sunspots (Cisco TAC). They have gone above and beyond multiple times. I never hesitated to call as they have never made me feel that the problem is the user, even though I am sure that there were times it has been.

I have never had a problem that the technical support wasn't willing to dig into and get resolved.

Not really. We used a homegrown VBScript that would parse the configurations on our firewalls for auditing. This didn't help at all with compliance.

The setup is not difficult. The professional services were outstanding in installation and knowledge transfer.

We implemented through a vendor team. Their expertise was outstanding. They made sure to spend a lot time doing knowledge transfer.

The initial cost was high for us, but we have always been behind the tech curve and cost has always been the limiting factor. That attitude has changed. Now, we look for the best, not simply the cheapest.

We did look at a couple of other solutions. FireMon and Qualsys are the only two I remember.

What other advice do I have?

It has saved my bacon a number of times and is a great arrow to have in your quiver of tools.

reviewer1335075 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at Chubb
    Risky rules reports help to reduce manual work
    • "We need less time to identify any risks in our firewalls, as we can detect changes in real-time."
    • "A vulnerability management module might be interesting, though not integrated with a third-party vendor. It should be an AlgoSec VM module."

How has it helped my organization?

We have obtained in easy way to do compliance reports for audit purposes. With this optimization reports, we can clean up unused rules, consolidate covered or redundant rules. We can also define trusted rules that apply.

Risky rules reports help to reduce manual work and identify the main risky configurations to remove. This give us some recommendations on how remediate and their importance.

What is most valuable?

• Identifying and removing risky rules
    • Firewall rules cleanup (unused rules)
    • Security compliance reports
    • Security baseline settings

What needs improvement?

A vulnerability management module might be interesting, though not integrated with a third-party vendor. It should be an AlgoSec VM module.

I would like some server integration for vulnerability management.

Some PDF reports are not so good. E.g., the graphics and reports are not so good. Sometimes, we need to create graphics and reports to compare security ratings across months and groups.

I have been using AlgoSec for two years.

Awesome.

Great.

Excellent and very kind technical support.

Licensing is very easy to set up. The pricing is relative to how you want to expand and harden your network security.

I did not evaluate another solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool that makes work easier each day. I can't imagine working without AlgoSec and using it for my daily activities.

reviewer1278546 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Automatically optimizes existing rule sets to comply with our security policy
    • "This has helped to restrict rules, delete rules that are too permissive, and create a configuration that complies with our security policy."
    • "There are sometimes issues with the Risky Rules reports where the number of hits is registering zero, but we know that this is incorrect because we have checked the rules and see that they are indeed registering traffic."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is to extract Risky Rules reports obtained from our Firewalls, check the rules, and proceed with changes on the Firewall as needed. In these reports, we also see the traffic being applied for different rules.

The traffic used for different Firewall rules can be obtained and then, we have a clear idea of the use for different rules. If some service or protocol is more often used or not, we can see.

We use the FireFlow tool to create the rule to be validated and applied in the appropriate Firewall. FireFlow can install the rule automatically.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our Security in our Firewalls. This has helped to restrict rules, delete rules that are too permissive, and create a configuration that complies with our security policy.

The reports are very useful for determining whether our Firewalls are compliant with our security rules and directives.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I've found most valuable is the risk classifications for different rules. The number of different risky rules that we have for each Firewall is determined automatically.

The traffic used or not for every service is very useful to check if some service is needed or not. In cases where it is not used, we can delete or disable it.

The FireFlow tool is very useful with the automatic installation of rules into Firewalls. It detects the router and applies the new rules, which saves us time in manual configuration.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the Trust setting on Firewall rules is changing to trusted by itself.

I have been using AlgoSec for more than one year.

I have very good impressions of AlgoSec stability.

The scalability is very good.

I did not use another solution prior to this one.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing AlgoSec.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I think this tool is very useful and we think that it's difficult to improve.

Hybrid Cloud
    Alberto Selma Tamarit - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Networking Engineer at Schneider Electric
    Reduces IT workload and improves efficiency using powerful API integration
    • "It has reduced the workload for the firewall team thanks to the API integration with our ticketing system, handling the standard types of requests automatically."
    • "It would be nice to have a good tool for network map discovery in the GUI to make it more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for AlgoSec is to automate our firewall configuration. We use the AlgoSec system to remotely configure the firewalls, making our life easier.

We are in a multisite environment with plenty of firewalls for perimeter security and LAN segregation for specific proposes. This solution helped us to make the process more dynamic.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the workload for the firewall team thanks to the API integration with our ticketing system, handling the standard types of requests automatically. Before having it, we had to create a lot of standard rules that now can now be just pushed from the AlgoSec system.

It has also helped in terms of firewall monitoring. Automatic alerts are sent to the security team so we can react quicker in case something goes wrong or a thread is detected going through the firewall. This is made possible using the simple reports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution from an operations perspective is the automation of the firewall rule deployment, working together with our ticketing system.

Any new needs are requested by a user using the internal webpage request. This request is automatically validated against a set of standard rules. If the request is compliant, the new rule sets are automatically configured in the specified firewalls without any human action. This reduces the firewall team's workload and improves efficiency.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a good tool for network map discovery in the GUI to make it more user-friendly. I would also like to be able to check and modify network maps in a graphical and more intuitive way. This will improve our network overview for new deployments and troubleshooting.

An API to connect to Palo Alto Prisma and Zscaler to be used after SD-WAN deployment would be a helpful feature. We have discussed this with AlgoSec and are hoping to see it in the near future.

We have been using the AlgoSec solution for four years.

We did not use a solution like this one previously. This is the first time.

I'm part of the team that uses the AlgoSec solution, not on the finance IT team.

Damien GEANTY - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Cyber Security Specialist at Richemont
    Improves visibility, automatically creates and optimized firewall rules

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for AlgoSec are to gain visibility and automate rule creation.

How has it helped my organization?

We met our goal by gaining visibility and automating rule creation. We are on a very good track.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the help of cleaning the firewall rules and object databases.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved if it were able to compare configurations and provide recommendations. For example, suggest cluster members.

I have been using AlgoSec for four years.

Srdjan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technical and Integration Designer / Center of Excellence / Europe & Indonesia at Ahold Delhaize
    Good reporting, improves efficiency, and simplifies troubleshooting
    • "We now process FCRs much faster, which helps us to deliver faster and implement reworks at a quicker rate."
    • "Creating more intuitive menus could be helpful, especially for first-time users."

What is our primary use case?

Firewall rule base management and FCR processing is the main reason we use AlgoSec.

We also use it for troubleshooting purposes and reporting. In that sense, there are three instances that are the main consumers of it. Our infrastructure management uses reporting to get insights, our Network and Security team does all of the FCR processing and troubleshooting of network problems, and our security department that also uses reporting and is part of the approval process for FCRs that are placed in AlgoSec.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec provided a much easier way to process FCRs and get visibility into traffic. With previous vendors, we had to guess what was going on with our traffic and we were not able to act accordingly.

By automating some parts of the work, business pressure is also reduced since we now deliver much faster. I received feedback from our security department that their FCR approval process is also now much easier. The network team is also now able to process FCRs much faster and with more accuracy.

What is most valuable?

Most of all, Technical Reviews are now top-notch and AlgoSec does part of the job automatically that had been done manually with our previous vendor.

With Business Flow and Firewall Analyzer, it provides much better visibility into traffic and process flows. Visibility into traffic was our main problem in the past since we had no clue what was going on but now, we have all sorts of analyses and reports. This makes our decision process, firewall clean up, and troubleshooting much easier.

What needs improvement?

All of the search options needed are there but the search menu could be a bit more intuitive. In other words, I can perform any search I want without any problems but combining different search parameters can sometimes be a problem.

Creating more intuitive menus could be helpful, especially for the first-time users.

For example, it would be useful to be able to save searches with complex structure so they can be easily reused with simple change of parameter. Also, "contain" criteria sometimes misses just like ability to search using any value in basic search box, instead of reaching out to Advanced search (it would be great if simple typing IP address, or Project ID in basic search box lists all rules containing such a value).

We have been using AlgoSec in production for about one year. Before that, we used it as a PoC for around six months.

We have had no issues in the past year.

This solution is very scalable.

We used another vendor prior to AlgoSec but we were not satisfied with the "intelligence" of the product when it came to the processing of FCRs.

We also evaluated Skybox.

What other advice do I have?

I have not seen any major issues with AlgoSec and it is better than the previous product we used. I am glad to have it now.

MarcelTe - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Technical Consultant at Schneider Electric
    Good support, optimized our security, and streamlined our process
    • "This is something that increases business efficiency and helps avoid bottlenecks in our NOC team."
    • "To secure SaaS traffic there are a few vendors such as Palo Alto and Zscaler, but AlgoSec is not yet able to push rules onto these clouds."

What is our primary use case?

First and mostly, as a large company, we had some issues regarding the main rating companies as they found some issues compromising our assets. There are different management systems and models with human interaction and sometimes with a different validation. This was impacting our business, so we put a lot of effort into solving problems, case by case, with manual operations. AlgoSec came into action in order to avoid this and streamline our process.

AlgoSec is one security management tool with the main target to find any rule that is not in compliance with our internal standards. New rules cannot be configured in any firewall unless it has been validated from security.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to identify every rule configured on each firewall in our facilities with AlgoSec. This included every risky rule, shadow rule, and non-compliant rule. After this, we were working with a fully cleaned-up process.

Now, any rule is pushed automatically with AlgoSec. In fact, every user in the company is raising tickets through it to request a new open flow across firewalls. If AlgoSec detects that this flow has no risk, it is automatically pushed onto the firewall. If not, it goes to a dedicated approval process.

What is most valuable?

Among all of the different AlgoSec modules, I think that FireFlow is the most valuable and we have integrated it into our internal processes. This is something that increases business efficiency and helps avoid bottlenecks in our NOC team. Moreover, we have eliminated any human mistakes that we have dealt with in the past and now we want to avoid as we are moving toward a completely automated network.

What needs improvement?

There are a few things that we have already raised to AlgoSec in order to improve the tool. First, as the highest volume in our network is SaaS traffic, we need to secure this connection. To secure SaaS traffic there are a few vendors such as Palo Alto and Zscaler, but AlgoSec is not yet able to push rules onto these clouds. It’s in the roadmap but this is something that blocks our whole design.

The network map design is not very useful for the administrator as the information displayed is not user-friendly.

It's been almost two and a half years since when we were looking for a fully integrated Security Management tool and we decided to run this solution in our multi-vendor network.

Stability is good, but we are still debugging tiny things because we have to accommodate the solution to our large IT infrastructure.

It will be good as long as they can move this solution to hybrid or fully cloud deployments.

All issues raised so far have had a good response SLA.

We didn't use any security managament tool prior to this one.

This initial setup was tough because of the network map configuration. There is no visibility on the provider (ISP) because they cannot grant access to us. So, the configuration was mostly set up manually.

AlgoSec was deployed with the support of professional services coming from the vendor. This made the implementation smooth for us. The expertise was good, as they had experience with this solution.

We were doing some workshops with both AlgoSec and Tufin.

Sergi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Manager at Schneider Electric
    Increases security and efficiency by more directly involving the end-user
    • "We can easily and quickly identify all of the rules on the firewall and avoid the individual review and analysis of each rule."
    • "It would be easier if the network maps could be updated using the GUI portal instead of from the OS."

What is our primary use case?

The AlgoSec solution is really helpful for us, as we need to review all of the rules that have been implemented or we intend to implement, everywhere in our organization, independent of the country or even region.

With AlgoSec, it is possible to check the risks for each rule in terms of security and it is possible to easily decide if the implementation is valid or risky. This allows us to keep only the rules that are following our internal security standards.

AlgoSec helps to keep order and improve efficiency for operations teams supporting the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

In short, this solution makes it possible to increase efficiency by simplifying the life of our engineers. They support the daily interactions with the Firewalls through the implementation of the requested rules. We can easily and quickly identify all of the rules on the firewall and avoid the individual review and analysis of each rule. This keeps the firewalls clean and under our security policy, following our internal standards.

What is most valuable?

I think that perhaps FireFlow could be the most valuable feature, according to the feedback from our technical teams. This allows them to easily add, modify, and remove rules from the firewalls.

Another good point is that we avoid the old procedure of end-users requesting rules, a security team in the middle validating, and then the final implementor doing the job. With this feature, you can directly permit the end-user to request what he or she needs, and if the security policy is respected then it can directly be approved and implemented.

What needs improvement?

What the technical teams report to me is that the network maps are a concern and should be improved. It would be easier if the network maps could be updated using the GUI portal instead of from the OS. This would benefit the operations teams working daily with this tool.

In the end, we are striving to improve efficiency, and taking into account that Operations are really under pressure from SLAs to keep support ticket queues clean, and with the least amount of backfill possible, it is key to get better tools that make it easier and faster to update the network maps.

I think we are roughly in the third year since the first time we started using the AlgoSec tool in our company.

In terms of stability, this tool is really good and more than you could expect.

We are still involved in debugging a lot of stuff because we have to accommodate the solution to our large IT network. As our company and network are really large, we have a lot of jobs to do. Even with this powerful tool, it is not immediate.

Scalability is really good with this tool as it is flexible, as long as we can move this solution to hybrid or fully cloud deployments. This is something we are really focusing on right now.

As I know, until today, all issues raised so far have had a good response time and solution. No bad reports or specific or important complaints were reported from the technical teams.

Overall, technical support is really pleasant and smooth.

Before knowing and using the AlgoSec tool, we were managing daily activities with Firewalls the standard way. It was done rule by rule, creating, modifying, removing, analyzing, and finally compiling once all it was decided that everything was under control and following internal security policies.

The initial setup was hard and made more difficult because of the network map configuration. There is no visibility on the provider because they cannot grant access to us. So, the configuration has to be manually done for the most part. This part was really hard and time-consuming.

My team was not involved in testing or pilots of any other solution prior to making a decision. Another global team was part of the negotiations, study, and comparison. My team and I were involved once the decision was made.

What other advice do I have?

It is clear that it is difficult to have the perfect tool with all that you need. As we expect, it is not an ideal world. AlgoSec is, in general, doing fine.

Today, this tool is very stable and permits us to improve the efficiency of the day to day work by our technical teams. It also allows the end-user to be more directly involved in the requests, highly reducing the time between the request and the final implementation.

The only advice or remark I can add here is what concerns me with the network maps. This is the cause of what makes the initial setup harder than expected. The reason is because of the network map configuration. There is no visibility on the provider because they cannot grant us access, meaning the configuration has to mostly be performed manually.

NetworkAdmin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer at Ti Automotive
    Reduces costs and errors for compliance and audit preparation
    • "It has reduced our audit preparation efforts and costs drastically and maintains continuous compliance."
    • "The GUI has not been upgraded for a long time and could use updating."

What is our primary use case?

AlgoSec is a global tool that has been purchased to get a centralized view of our infrastructure. This enables us to review our security posture and implement a compliance strategy.

AlgoSec is also used for in-depth firewall analysis and intelligent policy tuning and optimization. It helps in regulatory compliance metrics and overall firewall security optimization. It is currently used by the network security, audit, and internal control departments of organizations, giving overall insight/visibility and enhancing improved security across the enterprise.

It has been really helpful in automating changes. This helps us to reduce operational work drastically. The product has centralized visibility, unified management, and reporting across an entire hybrid environment. It can be deployed on-premises, in a private cloud, public cloud, and in SDN platforms. It automatically discovers applications and their connectivity flows, then associates connectivity with their underlying firewall rules.

AlgoSec's solutions are incredibly powerful, providing us with intelligent process improvement that has directly translated into the highest level of security and compliance for our internal network.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec is one of the most complete security management solutions on the market. It manages security and compliance based on the applications that power our business. It is one product combining multiple tools. This makes a real difference compared to its competitors.

It helps us deploy new business applications quickly and securely. It ties cyber threats directly to critical business processes.

Using AlgoSec is a double benefit to us. By using this solution we can reduce the cost and the number of errors in our daily operation and also expand our offerings.

It has reduced our audit preparation efforts and costs drastically and maintains continuous compliance.

AlgoSec delivers a rich set of change management workflows and enables zero-touch change processes if no risks are identified.

What is most valuable?

AlgoSec proactively analyzes all risks in the network security policy, across multi-vendor firewalls and cloud security groups.

AlgoSec is the only solution that supports the entire security policy management lifecycle from application connectivity discovery, through migration, maintenance, and decommissioning. Independent testing describes it as ‘one of the most complete security management solutions on the market’.

It seamlessly integrates with all leading brands of traditional and NGFWs, cloud security controls, routers, and load balancers.

The graphical user interface is much better than in other products.

What needs improvement?

The GUI has not been upgraded for a long time and could use updating.

We have been using AlgoSec for several years.

What other advice do I have?

I'm sure we will use this solution for ten more years, at least, as long as it continues to do what is promised.

This product is ready to work within a next-generation infrastructure environment. It simplifies and automates network security policy management to make your enterprise more agile, more secure and more compliant – all the time.

Overall, this is a complete product that helps our organization on a daily basis.

Cyber Security PreSales Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Optimize firewalls quickly and efficiently using multi-target rule and policy deployment

What is our primary use case?

We recommend the AlgoSec Firewall Security Management solution to our customers in order to help them with firewall policy application and optimization.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps all of our customers. They are network engineers and network administrators who need to recertify expired firewall rules, as well as clean and remove all of the rules that the customer doesn't need in their devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to deploy new rules in all of the firewalls included in the environment at one time. This automates the process instead of installing one rule or one device at a time.

What needs improvement?

The UX control panel is in need of improvement.

I have used AlgoSec for a long time and with many customers.

Paltxe - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer at Schneider Electric
    Comparison functionality and good reporting help improve visibility and keep us secure
    • "We have all of the information about the firewall devices that we have at risk, either because there is a firewall policy with some open protocol that can give us security problems later, or because long-unused rules present a security hole."
    • "It would be very helpful to have a direct link to the relevant firewall policy embedded within reports when there are warnings or risks indicated."

What is our primary use case?

Our first use case is the homogenization of important rules for a large number of firewall-enabled devices in our corporate network.

With one click, we have at our disposal everything we consider important and in this way we do not have to enter each device to verify the information.The AlgoSec Security Management Suite collects all of this information.

The most important thing is to have all of the information in one application. At a glance, we can see security problems and possible issues in the future. In this way, we can be proactive and solve problems before they happen.

How has it helped my organization?

With AlgoSec Security Management we have many advantages.

We have collected all of the alerts for each of the firewalls, which helps to identify devices that are in need of a more in-depth analysis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to compare policies with certain established and accepted configurations and values.

We have the option to generate several security reports for our firewall devices, such as what policies were created, what cluster they were created in, and which pose a risk either because they have been obsolete for a long time or because they have very specific technical specifications. Examples of this are open ports that are totally vulnerable or declared services that violate security.

All of the reports can be exported to PDF, meaning that we can send them to the different departments to study the cases and determine whether these rules are necessary. If not, then they can be eliminated to optimize the system.

What needs improvement?

It would be very helpful to have a direct link to the relevant firewall policy embedded within reports when there are warnings or risks indicated. Regardless of how serious the risk is, we could jump to the policy with a single click. In this way, the administration would be much easier and we would not have to be changing the screen every time we want to look at or modify something in our firewall. I understand that they are third-party software packages that can achieve this, but it would be more comfortable to have it integrated.

We have been using AlgoSec for two or three years.

The stability of this solution is very good.

Scalability is very good.

We have had no problem with technical support. Different incidents have been resolved without major complications.

The first solution that we used in this category was AlgoSec.

The initial setup is not complex.

Our in-house team performed the deployment with help from the vendor team. The expertise was good.

The price is within the standard of security products.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

Hybrid Cloud
    Network Expert at a integrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Improves policy manageability, efficiency, and accountability
    • "Firewall Analyzer is valuable because it makes searching our existing policies so simple."
    • "They can make some improvements to the user interface because it can be slow at times."

What is our primary use case?

We use AlgoSec for automating and management of security changes to our firewall policies.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec makes it easier to implement flow-opening requests by our users. We now have a standard procedure that everyone must follow, whereby they create an AlgoSec request for any change to the firewall policy. The product also helps us to keep track of every change that occured in the past.

AlgoSec also provides us an easy way to review the policies of all of our firewalls. We are able to perform searches for specific rules/objects on all of them at the same time, even if they are from different vendors.

What is most valuable?

Firewall Analyzer is valuable because it makes searching our existing policies so simple.

We like FireFlow because it provides an easy way to introduce flow-opening requests.

What needs improvement?

They can make some improvements to the user interface because it can be slow at times.

We have been using AlgoSec for three years.

Idan Malei - PeerSpot reviewer
    Global Network and Security Team Leader at Ormat Technologies, Inc.
    Unused rule optimization and rule tracking help keep our team up to date
    • "The most valuable feature is the unused rule optimization, where it clears the policy when appropriate."
    • "The pricing for smaller installations should be lowered because sometimes there is just no ROI to add AlgoSec to the small branch offices with only 10 rules."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for firewall rule optimization and rule tracking for changes in 80 Palo Alto firewalls. There are 30 clustered and 20 standalone in the environment. Formerly, it was Check Point with almost the same quantity.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped the team to be updated with changes globally.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the unused rule optimization, where it clears the policy when appropriate.

What needs improvement?

The pricing structure is not good because there is no difference between a Data Center firewall for a small branch. The pricing for smaller installations should be lowered because sometimes there is just no ROI to add AlgoSec to the small branch offices with only 10 rules.

I have been using AlgoSec for seven years.

This solution looks very stable.

Our impression of the scalability is great.

I have no experience with technical support.

Other than Check Point, we did not use another solution prior to AlgoSec.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We had assistance from Bynet. They are very good professionals.

There is not so much ROI for us. We are using it basically for SOX purposes but find it useful on the way.

Pricing is great if you have a small number of large firewalls, otherwise, it does not bring ROI.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

reviewer1275342 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IP network expert at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
    Improves efficiency and network visibility, scalable, and has good technical support
    • "It provides faster go to market with fewer resources."
    • "I would like to be able to see what objects have the same IP, but different names in different firewalls."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for AlgoSec is managing firewalls and to introduce a workflow system for requesting access through firewalls, which is fully integrated with them.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides faster go to market with fewer resources. In one system, users are able to request access through the firewall for business services, which can be approved by the appropriate team and can be implemented automatically by the system itself. Furthermore, users are able to track whether one particular access is blocked on any of firewalls or not, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable modules are Firewall Analyzer and FireFlow. FireFlow is the workflow system, whereas Analyzer is the module responsible for tracking the configuration of firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers, etc.

There are many more useful features that cannot be listed here in a detailed manner.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to see what objects have the same IP, but different names in different firewalls. Since the system is able to show all of the objects for the integrated devices, it can be confusing if one particular object (eg. IP address/host) has different names in different firewalls.

I have been using AlgoSec for two years.

We have not experienced any problem with the system.

The system can be run on virtual machines, so we don't have any issue with scalability.

I would rate the technical support with five stars. :-)

We always received the necessary help quite fast, and the answers were valuable.

We didn't have a similar system before this solution.

It was not so complex and didn't take more than several days until we integrated all of the important networking devices.

It was implemented by a vendor, they had the necessary expertise.

Actually, I cannot really estimate because I am responsible for the operation of the system. I can say that we have saved some resources with the automatic implementation feature.

I propose to purchase licenses for all of the networking devices in the network, because if not all of the devices are integrated then the query of particular access cannot be discovered entirely.

We have chosen this system after evaluation (RFQ). The other competitor was Tufin.

Network Administrator at City of Calgary
    User
    Helpful Auditing and Management tool that integrates well with other products
    • "This Appliance gives you the full Network MAP, which is obtainable from the Routing table."
    • "It seems that AlgoSec created a VSYS (Virtual system) for each virtual router name, even though our firewall has only a single VSYS."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for Firewall Rule Management, to know who did what and why.

We use AlgoSec FireFlow to create Rules for the Firewalls with detailed information. It is used by end-users who supply the requirements for which this rule is needed, and then it goes to Security for approval.

We use AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer to get the audit reports on the firewall and to verify that change, which was approved by the Security and Network teams, is implemented in the right way.

It is a great tool for audit purposes.

Also it tells us if our firewall is compliance with PCI or not.

We use this for Compliance purposes also.

They are both integrated with each other.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is helping us in the long term for managing the firewall configurations.

AlgoSec FireFlow Network Security solution is an end-to-end solution that ensures that firewall changes are approved, necessary, and implemented in the right way.

If some change is not implemented correctly then it warns you right away.

Also, while migrating from Cisco to AlgoSec, we can see the hit counts on the security rules and when the last time each rule was used. Depending on this information, we only use security rules that are more recently used when configuring new firewalls for migration.

For Palo Alto Firewalls, we have configured a lot of virtual routers as part of the network. This segmentation allows different network traffic to be isolated from a security point of view.

For us, it is a great management and audit tool.

What is most valuable?

This appliance has a lot of great features to offer.

You can buy the physical appliance or VM depending on your company requirements.

Features we like are:

1. Multi-approval AlgoSec Fireflow rule creation system. The end-user can only implement the rule if it is approved by all of the IT groups.
    2. Very good integration with other vendor's products like Cisco or Palo Alto Firewalls.
    3. This Appliance gives you the full Network MAP, which is obtainable from the Routing table.
    4. It is easy to find whether a security policy is blocked, as well as where and by which device.

What needs improvement?

We love all the features of this device. It can be a bit expensive for small companies but they also have a VM model for that.

It seems that AlgoSec created a VSYS (Virtual system) for each virtual router name, even though our firewall has only a single VSYS. We are ok to work with this, but if this can be fixed in a future release then that will be great.

We have been using this solution for three years.

We have had no Hardware or Software issue so far with this Product.

This Appliance never went down and whenever we did any software upgrades it went very smooth. Also in our environment we had no issues due to any software bugs.

Their Software is pretty stable and bug free.

We love the scalability of this product.

This solution has Five Star technical support.

It is great to work with its Customer and Technical support team.

We used a different solution prior to this one and we had issues integrating with our new firewall vendor which was Palo Alto

The initial setup is straightforward, and we had no issues during the installation.

We performed the implementation in-house.

It seems we have recovered our money on this appliance, so it is money well spent.

Initial setup was not that hard. Vendor did this for us.

Licensing depends on how many firewalls your company has.

They have license options for small to big customers depending on the network.

Price is fair for Licensing and Product.

We evaluated a few other options, including Tufin, before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to go with this product. It is easy to set up and use. It has great features and very good technical support to back it.

So far, we find ourselves below limitations on this appliance with the version we are currently running.

Overall, this is a Great security management product with good automation options to help your security teams function.

ogzbatilay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Administrator at Türkiye İş Bankası
    FireFlow enables us to search equipment between the source and destination and saves us time

We have been working with the AlgoSec firewall analyzer for almost six years in the product environment. It is well suited for firewall security optimization, tuning, change management, and application discovery. The most important feature is the Intelligence Policy Tuner (IPT) skills. This helps us know which devices are between the source and destination on the flows.

Since we increased our support level to preferred support, the support level has been very good for two months. They solved all the problems and the response time is very fast. Therefore, if you are working with AlgoSec, you should choose the preferred support license. If you have the chance, you must try this with this type of support that they are well equipped of people.

We are in the process of implementing FireFlow in our daily operation, which will make our lives even easier. The idea is to search the Firewall Analyzer for the equipment between the source and destination, and then automatically jump off to FireFlow and open a ticket. This will then automatically implement what is needed without the need to go into the Firewall itself. This will save us a lot of time and will help us to onboard junior engineers very quickly, getting them up to speed on our network and daily operation in record time

In the end, we tried other vendors for POC and all of them have problems. When we compared with AlgoSec, they were much worse and AlgoSec leads this sector. That’s why we are using Algosec in our environment. Also, it is the most growing vendor in their specific area, and it has much more skills that have been very helpful to analyze firewalls.

mervemetin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at Türkiye İş Bankası
    Offers valuable instantaneous AFA reports and the support team has good response time

Hi all,

As many users do , we are using algosec for policy optimization and violation detection, too.

There are some important and really nice to use features that I want to mention about Algosec.

Firstly, one of the most useful feature is instantaneous afa report, that you do not have to wait some time to analyze the firewall traffic. When working with some other vendors, someone has to wait at least one week or even more for an accurate analyze and optimization recommendations. You do not have to wait for it when using Algosec.

Secondly, web user interface is really user-friendly and easy to use. I can find all the items I look for easily. Soon, we will also use network simulator feature. That will be useful to see the end-to-end traffic, and will increase the visibility in a high rate. We can easily track the changes in policies with Algosec. AlgoSec automatically sends an email to the selected teams when a policy change occurs.

Our environment is large comparing to any company that are working onsimilar sector with us. So optimization and external monitoring is inevitable necessity for our environment, and especially for firewall rule optimization algosec or a similar product provides a very helpful assistance.

In my opinion, we are using algosec for a long time (nearly 6 years).Until two years ago, most of things were working perfectly with algosec. When next generation firewalls came as a hot topic and used oftenly, we faced some minor problems on algosec. We always wrote about the problems to algosec support.

To be more specific, when we tried to add some devices on algosec it seemed to be done but when you check monitor section, some of the devices were red lighted. Finally, we could handled this part after we installed a new software fix. After that, we started to use inline layer feature of a next generation firewall vendor as many customer did, at first algosec failed to recognize inline layers and rules in the inline layers. We failed to analyze, improve andoptimize our inline layer rules for some time. Support was a little desperate in this case. After installing some new hotfix updates , this problem was also fixed successfully.

As one other example, algosec did not support one of the firewall vendor product (firepower) completely . After new software updates on both sides (both the firewall vendor and algosec), that vendor is supported for some features partially.

As a customer, the role of the support team of a product becomes very very important and vital when a customer faces such different problems about software bugs or different vendor compatibilities. To be more clear, response time should be short enough and support interest about the subject should also be high enough. Because firewall is the most important and critical member of a network. Algosec response time is improved day by day in all these years.

Support team is much more supportive this year. We had a fresh install and we added all the devices again on algosec. Everything works perfectly. Of course we are having problems too, but problems are inevitable and oftenly when you working on a software environment. The most important factor is support team. And support team is giving fast response and support in all cases.

In addition to that, last version of algosec software seems to handle all the previous  minor problems, and this plays an important role about that we are working with algosec happily. As a conclusion, we are using security optimization in a very detailed way and Algosec is the best when comparing to other vendors in all perspectives.

reviewer1242069 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a sports company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Automatic firewall rule configuration helps reduce our workload
    • "The automation of the firewall rule deployment, working together with our ticketing system, is the most valuable feature of this solution. The needs as required by a user request are automatically validated and configured in the specified firewalls without any human action."
    • "The interface needs to be more user-friendly for low-profile users so that we can give some kind of access to specific people around the company for self-configuration of specific rules."

What is our primary use case?

We are in a multisite environment with plenty of firewalls for perimeter security and LAN segregation for specific proposes. This solution helped us to make the process more dynamic.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the workload for the firewall team thanks to the API integration with our ticketing system, doing the standard type of request automatically. Before having it, we had to create a lot of standard rules that now can now be just pushed from the AlgoSec system.

What is most valuable?

The automation of the firewall rule deployment, working together with our ticketing system, is the most valuable feature of this solution. The needs as required by a user request are automatically validated and configured in the specified firewalls without any human action. This improves the firewall team's workload.

What needs improvement?

I would be nice to have a good tool for network map discovery in the GUI to make it more user friendly and be able to check and modify network maps in graphical and more intuitive way . This will improve our network overview for new deployments and troubleshooting.

I have been using this solution for three years.

In three years, we have only had one issue with respect to stability.

When we had the issue they responded well.

We did not use another solution before AlgoSec.

We deployed this solution using our in-house team.

The reduction in workload reduces the cost in terms of human time.

Mustafa Karanfil - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at Türkiye İş Bankası
    Optimizes firewall policies and facilitates compliance auditing
    • "The most valuable feature is the reporting, including the policy report and regulatory compliance reports."
    • "Cisco Firepower device support is limited in our AlgoSec system and I think AlgoSec can improve in that area."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer.

We have more than ten cluster firewalls and we have deployed the AlgoSec solution suite. We want to check compliance status of our devices. We also need to reduce the number of rules in each of the policies.

In our new data center, we want to automate the firewall policies.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we can easily track the changes in policies. With every change, AlgoSec automatically sends an email to the IT audit team. It increases our visibility of changes in every policy.

Every month, I use the optimizer to reduce firewall rules. In the summary tab, I can easily track the number of changes in the firewall policies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reporting, including the policy report and regulatory compliance reports.

In the Intelligent Policy Tuner, the tighten permissive rules tab allows us to reduce the number of rules in each policy. I can easily control, report, and reduce the rules for policies. Also in the Rules Cleanup tab, I am removing unused rules as I feel confident in deleting these types of rules.

Our Information team read Regulatory Compliance Reports that can easily track the compliance status of each device.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Firepower device support is limited in our AlgoSec system and I think AlgoSec can improve in that area. For example, in FireFlow we can easily track using the ticketing system to integrated Check Point devices. However, with Cisco Firepower devices, we couldn't integrate with them.

We have been using AlgoSec for almost six years.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The pricing of AlgoSec is fair.

Before purchasing AlgoSec, we implemented a PoC with each of AlgoSec, Tufin, and FireMon.

What other advice do I have?

We have more than ten clusters behind our firewall. It is essential that we track the changes in policies and the compliance status of devices. AlgoSec can easily do that.

Julian Santos - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a wireless company with 10,001+ employees
    Traffic simulation allows for testing before release into production
    • "The most valuable feature is traffic simulation because, with this function, it has become more practical to know if something is released or blocked in my environment."
    • "I believe Active Change needs to be improved because not all products are supported, and some functions cannot be implemented by Active Change either."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for managing an environment with more than five thousand registered devices across firewalls, routers, balancers, and VMware. Highly critical banking environment.

We use FireFlow as our primary ticket management tool.

How has it helped my organization?

With AlgoSec, it was able to conduct the environment so that it was possible to get more accurate and fast information about the changes that the environment went through.

It has reduced the time for firewall rule requests to be implemented in the environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is traffic simulation because, with this function, it has become more practical to know if something is released or blocked in my environment.

IPT is valuable because this function is of great help to have a more effective security policy.

What needs improvement?

I believe Active Change needs to be improved because not all products are supported, and some functions cannot be implemented by Active Change either.

Technical support needs to find solutions more quickly.

Active Change could implement routes in Firewalls, it should also be able to perform the creation of APP control and URL filter rules.

We have been using this solution for six years.

In general, it is a stable product. We have rarely had a problem that resulted in the total unavailability of the solution.

AlgoSec requires a large amount of processing power to perform its tasks, making it a piece of equipment that always requires monitoring to be optimally optimized.

Some troubleshooting took months to resolve. So, I think we have to improve this point.

I used Nipper and FireMon, but I started using AlgoSec due to the great recommendations I received.

The architecture was defined with one master, four slaves, and one remote.

Our internal team handled the deployment.

I do not have many details of this commercial part.

I evaluated FireMon and Nipper in addition to this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Many users have the tool but don't use it with everything it can offer. What I recommend is that you explore all of the features of the product.

Henrique F. Caires Clemente - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Developer at Vivo (Telefônica Brasil)
    Network map and risk analysis helps us to manage complex environments with many devices

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for managing risks, device compliance, a ticket system, and active change.

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely helps a lot to manage the complexity of environments with many devices and many vendors.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the network map, risk analysis, and tickets for firewall changes.

Very helpful automatic implementation of requested changes.

What needs improvement?

I would like to seem improvements in performance and software stability.

I have been using this solution for six years.
    Key-Account-Manager at DATAKOM Gesellschaft für Datenkommunikation mbH
    Integrates well with other solutions to enhance efficiency and transparency
    • "With the solution, we can uncover bottlenecks, streamline, and clean up our firewall rules."
    • "We would like to have a kind of "Time Capsule" to be able to restore to a certain state from a backup."

What is our primary use case?

AlgoSec helps us by giving an overview of our Layer 3 network devices. With the solution, we can uncover bottlenecks, streamline, and clean up our firewall rules.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec saves our IT department a lot of time and also creates transparency. A large number of reports can be generated quickly. The reports are based on all known catalogs and are important for management and department heads. The products interlock and share relevant information with each other.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interaction between AlgoSec's different solutions. From Firewall Analyzer to FireFlow to BusinessFlow, the solutions add value for us and our customers. The basis with the Firewall Analyzer and the corresponding Network Map is one of the core features for transparency.

The ticket system informs all of the people involved with respect to the next steps.

The reporting and documentation components help us to comply with the ISO catalog.

What needs improvement?

It is always possible to improve the product.

We would like to have a BSI Compliance Report for Germany.

Interfaces are worked on continuously, and small firewall manufacturers such as Sophos should still be included as standard.

More than eight months.

What other advice do I have?

All manufacturers on the market are constantly improving. The beautiful and simple thing about AlgoSec is the short distances and that you are heard. If you want a feature implemented, or a report for a certain country adapted or created, then they will take your request seriously right up to the C-Level. The implementation takes place promptly and is customer-friendly.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: As a consulting and integration partner, we use AlgoSec products ourselves, but are also responsible for solution sales in the DACH market.
    Mahmoud Hashem - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Manager at Global Technologies for Trading and Contracting
    Automated rule re-ordering helps improve performance, but it needs an intelligent tuner

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for this solution is to clean-up and fine-tune firewall rules.

How has it helped my organization?

I found that for policy optimization it does a great job. It handles covered rules, duplicate rules, and consolidated rules.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to reorder rules because of the enhancement of firewall CPU performance when they are applied.

What needs improvement?

I would like an intelligent tuner where it could help update rules with the application ID.

I have been using this solution for one month.
    reviewer1175712 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Alerts when a risky rule is created help us to maintain compliance
    • "We are moving towards an automated environment so the ability to work with Ansible, ServiceNow, and Palo Alto gives us the ability to automate our firewall policy creation. And it does so in a manner where we do not have to worry about a policy being created that may put our organization at risk."
    • "Support for Layer 7 policies, including User-ID and threat profiles with Palo Alto firewalls, has been a pain point from us. We would like to include the additional info specifically because we believe it changes the riskiness of the rule if it is only set for a specific user or a group of users."

What is our primary use case?

We utilize this solution to manage policies for our firewalls. At first, we used it to keep a record of our policies: Who changed something, when, and whether the policy is allowed or not. We now use it to map our traffic flows and to flag a policy that is not allowed by the criteria we have set for our different types of firewalls.

We used it initially to go through all of our policies on over 800 firewalls, to organize the policies and map out our policy flows to certain zones. That enabled us to know how to structure our policies.

We spent a year going through our firewall policies to clean them up because before, when we were on Cisco ASA firewalls, we had a very hard time regulating what types of firewall policies were being created, and it was even harder to review them. After we moved to Palo Alto firewalls, we decided that that was the best time to load our policies into AlgoSec and review them. That way we not only converted to a more capable next-generation firewall, we could also ensure the policies were strong.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has helped significantly with our firewall compliance. Before AlgoSec it was a very manual job to go through firewalls and look for risky rules. Now, we get alerts when a risky rule is created. This allows us to maintain compliance and run compliance checks monthly. As a result, we have saved many hours of work by our operations folks. They were the ones who had to manually review all of the firewall policies and create evidence of their review in a very scrappy fashion.

With AlgoSec, we can show a view of firewall compliance that is clean and easy to read and present. This also helps our business units ensure their policies are clean. With that data, we are able to show management that the firewalls connected to our network, but owned by other business units, meet our standards.

What is most valuable?

We like that we have been able to identify risky rules, based on the criteria we have set. We also like the ability to push policies from AlgoSec to the firewalls to ensure risky policies are never created in the first place. That's a feature that will help us in the future as well.

What needs improvement?

Support for Layer 7 policies, including User-ID and threat profiles with Palo Alto firewalls, has been a pain point from us. We would like to include the additional info specifically because we believe it changes the riskiness of the rule if it is only set for a specific user or a group of users. For example, if we have what looks like an "allow all" to a certain /24 network, but for only one user, we would give that a different score than if no user was identified.

We have used this solution for six years.

AlgoSec has been very stable for us.

It scales well.

We have had our issues resolved very quickly.

We used Tufin

The initial setup was very simple. We just set up SNMP.

We used a vendor team and they were great.

The ROI for us is the great assurance we have in the security of our firewall policies.

Be sure to scale properly.

We evaluated Tufin.

What other advice do I have?

This solution will help you significantly with compliance, the part of your job that may not be your favorite.

Sunil Kumar.  - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at Maple Leaf Foods
    Significantly improved our firewall security optimization
    • "The Firewall Analyzer helps us achieve our various IT compliance requirements, like ISO-27001."
    • "There is huge scope for improvement in the level of support, especially around the issue of resolution time. That is the only negative point I find in the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using AlogSec mainly for firewall compliance reporting as well analyzing and evaluating firewall policy. That, in turn, means we can actively work on firewall policy optimization and elimination of unused and risky rules. We also using it for compliance reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped us a lot in improving our firewall security optimization as well in evaluating security policy to eliminate the risky rules or secure them.

Its reporting modules solve all our monthly and quarterly compliance-related reporting requirements.

What is most valuable?

Currently, we are using almost all the features of the product to take as much advantage as we can of what it offers. But our primary use is compliance reporting and the Firewall Analyzer helps us achieve our various IT compliance requirements, like ISO-27001.

What needs improvement?

There is huge scope for improvement in the level of support, especially around the issue of resolution time. That is the only negative point I find in the solution. I hope you guys will work on it and improve your resolution time which will help customers to keep their AlgoSec device healthy.

We have been using AlgoSec for six years.

In the six years we have been using it, we have never seen an outage or failure of AlgoSec or any other software-related failure.

The product is very scalable. We have never faced any issues related to the scalability of the product.

As an individual, my experience has been good, but in terms of technical-issue resolution, I am not 100 percent satisfied because of time the AlgoSec team takes to fix issues, some of the time.

Previously, we were using Tufin but we found that solution more complicated when compared with AlgoSec.

The initial setup was straightforward because of the well-defined GUI platform.

We implemented it in-house.

Given that we have been using this product for the last six years, there is no question about ROI. If we were not seeing ROI, per our expectations, we would not continue with the product.

AlgoSec is not much more expensive compared to other products available in the market.

We evaluated FireMon but it was more complicated than AlgoSec and did not fulfill our basic requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, AlgoSec is doing a good job.

reviewer1173033 - PeerSpot reviewer
    DevOps Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Automatically detects changes outside of approved times, but technical support is poor and documentation needs improvement
    • "It detects if the requested network and ports are getting blocked by the network or firewalls by a simple query, which helps to identify the network blocking firewalls in the topology."
    • "The FireFlow template does not allow the user to perform external actions like sending an email or triggering a specific action."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product mainly for firewall and network management. It detects any firewall and network changes that are done manually and not within the change control time window. Finding out the traffic is blocked or not using BusinessFlow is really good.

How has it helped my organization?

It didn't improve in my organization. There is a lack of documentation when communicating between the AlgoSec appliance and the other appliance. When we raised these concerns to their support, they were not able to help us with the issues.

What is most valuable?

We loved the automatic policy or network topology change features in the AlgoSec appliance. It detects the changes and alerts when someone is trying to make changes in the firewalls or network devices during abnormal change-time windows.

What needs improvement?

1. AlgoSec support needs improvement, and support needs training to better understand customer issues. ( Support team repeatedly fails to understand the customer issues, Response to the support ticket based on the severity is very poor, support team responses to severity 1 or 2 tickets are very very slow. Customer support representative need training on how to handle severity 1 or 2 tickets)
    2. Integration with other appliances needs improvement. ( AlgoSec integration with other ticketing systems like Service Manager / Service now is not good, It needs to have better integration with ticketing systems like Service Now and Atlassian JIRA)
    3. Documentation needs improvement. ( There is lack of documentation integration with other ticketing systems like HP service manager, Rest APIs, SOAP)
    4. There are limited sets of Python API calls, so they need to add more features in the API.
    5. The FireFlow template does not allow the user to perform external actions like sending an email or triggering a specific action. It needs improvement there.

We have been using this solution for one year.

AlgoSec support is very, very poor. Their support engineers do not even understand the problem or the severity of cases. AlgoSec is pretty bad with handling hardware appliance failure.

This is the first solution we used.

My advice is to please make sure that you evaluate other competitive products before choosing this solution.

The price is high but the support is extremely poor, so keep that in mind before choosing this product.

We evaluated FireMon before choosing this solution.

Senior Consultant at Deloitte Portugal
    Simplifies configuration and rule management
    • "The most valuable feature is that the tool is capable of simplifying firewall management and configuration in an automated fashion."
    • "In a complex landscape, with several nodes/equipment, it can be somewhat more difficult to properly visualize the network map."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the management of firewalls on a client with a multi-vendor landscape and a low maturity level in terms of security operations and mechanisms. The AlgoSec tool supported the necessary transformation we were helping the client with, centralizing and simplifying the management of all firewalls in several sites across the globe.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec is a powerful firewall management tool. I have supported a client implementing the firewall analyzer in an environment with several firewall vendors and poor management. The implementation went smoothly, with good support from the AlgoSec team. However, the configuration was tricky due to the maturity of the client and the ‘messy’ situation, and the internal know-how available regarding what was implemented on the multiple sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the tool is capable of simplifying firewall management and configuration in an automated fashion. Additionally, the fact that it is also possible to implement a FW management workflow clearly supports the improvement of the 'way of working' and operation of the FW environment.

What needs improvement?

The network mapping interface could be improved in the next version. In a complex landscape, with several nodes/equipment, it can be somewhat more difficult to properly visualize the network map. It requires several zoom-in and zoom-out operations, and it is not so visually appealing. Nevertheless, it is still a valuable feature and was highly used by my team.

We have been using this solution for four months.

We evaluated other options before choosing this solution including Skybox and Palo Alto Panorama.

What other advice do I have?

Do not underestimate the configuration effort, especially on a more complex landscape.

reviewer1126863 - PeerSpot reviewer
    MSP
    Provides a live network map and allows for the testing of hypothetical rules and policies
    • "It assists us in network security reviews and audits."
    • "Priority should be to improve the user interface for the risk and compliance part, making it more responsive and user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed the first brick of AlgoSec solution suite, Algosec Firewall Analyzer (AFA).

We wanted to get a live Network Mapping and to directly be able to check if a flow is allowed or not, without needing to test and then check the logs. We also need to check for compliance, baselines, and risks over our network.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides visibility and comprehension of the network in our organization. It assists us in network security reviews and audits. In the end, a lot of time, we add context and build a security matrix matching our own standards. The optimization tools are much appreciated by the network operators.

What is most valuable?

The What-if analysis allows us to check the security rating under hypothetical rules that may be implemented on our firewalls.

Baseline compliance allows you to run and check the results of commands on the Firewalls and Routers. This solution is perfect for checking compliance against best practices, as proposed by the CIS.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is better than some competitors, but it is starting to get old. Space is not always fully used, especially for the risk and compliance part. As example today, Excel file should be used to deal with network segment definition and risk matrix, it is hard to do it directly from user interface and there is no way to organize, order a set of test.

Six months.

We have had no problem with stability to this point. We have High Availability and have tested it correctly. Disaster recovery mode is also available.

Scalability seems to be one of the strongest points of this solution. Worldwide architecture with remote agents, or slave master architecture. Be careful in terms of how you will deal with the log management as to not impact your network. A distributed architecture can help.

We have one ongoing ticket to solve an issue with SSO. They are working on it seriously.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is long. The more knowledge you have of your network, the faster it will be.

We implemented with the help of Orange Cyberdefense.

Their expert is very good, and honest with respect to the solution's capabilities.

Licenses are provided by firewall and routers. Do not underestimate the number of routers because the price can be significantly reduced as you buy more licenses. Same if you go for more than one product (i.e. FireFlow, BusinessFlow)

Before choosing this solution we evaluated FireMon and Tufin.

reviewer1114632 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
    Firewall rule optimization and extensive reporting helps both with efficiency and compliance
    • "Breaking down a rule to specify used objects within groups and protocols has proven invaluable for us because we are able to narrow exposure to potential threats, and more generally, areas in which we are exposed."
    • "Some UI experience is a little clunky (for e.g. MAPS module) and could be made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution helps us to accurately determine rule use and where we can make improvements across our checkpoint firewall products. We had originally designed a few dozen clusters of firewalls that experience a heavy network flow with a multitude of rules, and it has been a doddle to harness the power of AFA to get the ball rolling.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has highlighted to us a huge number of unused rules and restored the confidence in us to remove them where appropriate. At the same time, it enables us to consolidate and enforce the point of reach prior to searching a rule base to check access for an application or user. Breaking down a rule to specify used objects within groups and protocols has proven invaluable for us because we are able to narrow exposure to potential threats, and more generally, areas in which we are exposed.

Reporting features are a godsend when it comes to executive review and monthly directorship calls.

What is most valuable?

Most of the features proved to be very useful within our massive setup, with some getting additional airtime during production changes. Our perimeter team uses the policy optimizer to search out unused objects in rules and determine when the rule was most recently hit accurately.

From my personal experience, the traffic simulator can be used to check if a request from a user or project is already a function enabled, or instead, we have an access change to implement. This saves an enormous amount of time during CAB calls.

The risk and compliance area is key to ensuring we conform to company regulation and our perimeter detection policy. Having a number of compliance options to baseline ensures that we get the basics right before looking at advanced risks and remediation.

What needs improvement?

Some UI experience is a little clunky (for e.g. MAPS module) and could be made more user-friendly.

We experienced some initial challenges with technical support, although this considerably improved once the teams got to know one another.

The API support isn't as versatile as we would like it to be. It needs more integration.

Six months.

The product and appliances have been very stable.

This solution has no problem with scalability and is easily able to integrate with firewalls in their thousands.

We had some initial struggles due to communication, but once ironed out it was smooth sailing.

Straightforward initially, and versatile well into production.

We implemented this solution through our vendor.

reviewer1112214 - PeerSpot reviewer
    MSP
    Provides full visibility of the network and generates helpful security & audit reports
    • "AlgoSec AFA and AFF automate lots of things for my organization."
    • "The risk matrix implementation is not easy from an Excel file, so it would be nice to have a solution for creating it directly within the web interface."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to have full visibility of the network, to simulate traffic queries, and to generate security reports according to the security policies of my company. We also use AlgoSec to perform audits concerning Firewalls and Network compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec AFA and AFF automate lots of things for my organization. The products are really useful for both security and network teams. It had also provided more control over the network. After Firewalls are boarded into AlgoSec, the first results appear quickly.

What is most valuable?

AlgoSec is not completely deployed inside my organization, so for the moment the most valuable features are the network map, which provides the full visibility of the network, and the security reports. The AFF module is really valuable for different teams.

What needs improvement?

The risk matrix implementation is not easy from an Excel file, so it would be nice to have a solution for creating it directly within the web interface. This would be an improvement.

Four months.

This was the first solution I chose.

The price is adapted to the product's utilization for each company.

We also did a PoC with Tufin and FireMon.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a very good tool to manage network traffic and devices.

Director of Information Security Operations at First Quality Enterprises
    Easy to use with good FW optimization and logging capabilities
    • "It helps to perform FW cleanup, regulations requirement, FW migration projects, etc."
    • "I would like to see Bi-Directional API support in order to integrate with SOAR platforms that provide SOC automation and IRR."

What is our primary use case?

AlgoSec is used on a daily basis by both our IT and IS groups to manage BAU and FW change requests. It integrates with ServiceNow, PaloAlto, and our SIEM tool. It helps to perform FW cleanup, regulations requirement, FW migration projects, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has helped me in the last three companies that I have worked for. I was working to do Firewall migration projects, FW cleanups of risky rules (FW policy optimization), process def between IT and IS, audit, SOC reports, GRC support, and Cloud support in both native and Hybrid environments that we use.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are:

• Great visibility for High-risk firewall rules
    • Mapping business risks
    • Mapping risky applications
    • Informative regulation reports for PCI-DSS, ISO 27001 and many more
    • FW cleanup recommendation
    • Easy logging capabilities with leading SIEM products in both LEEF and Syslog formats

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Bi-Directional API support in order to integrate with SOAR platforms that provide SOC automation and IRR.

Integration with CISO dashboards would be an improvement.

It would be nice to have support for IaaS, CASB, and DLP tools, which will allow full life cycle management of security incidents.

It would be nice to have an out of the box "best practices recommendation" with the relevant "what-ifs".

Ten years.

This solution scaled to our entire enterprise in a seamless way.

We also used Tufin, but AlgoSec provided us better visibility and ease of use.

My advice is that you must do a POC and show value.

We did not evaluate options other than AlgoSec and Tufin.

Tim  Wackenhuth - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Security Engineer III at Paychex, Inc.
    By letting developers access this solution, we cut down the questions and time we had to spend explaining what ports are open and where.
    • "I think finding the firewall's rules with the highest risk is valuable."
    • "I would like to see more object-based reports on groups and object usage."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to find unused objects and rule cleanup. However, we also found a use case by letting developers read access so they can see rules and open ports so they can request firewall changes as needed. This opened up time for our firewall engineers because they did not have to answer questions anymore to developers.

How has it helped my organization?

By letting developers access AlgoSec, we cut down the questions and time we had to spend explaining what ports are open and where. They can now see in one panel. Since there are multiple firewall vendors, they can see what rules apply where using one tool.

What is most valuable?

I think finding the firewall's rules with the highest risk is valuable. In the old days, we had to run reports and look through rule bases trying to find risky rules and that can also lead to human error. Now we see it via AlgoSec. It also helps because we see those risks across multiple vendors.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more object-based reports on groups and object usage. When cleaning up old rules, it is easy to disable the rule and then delete after a while. Trying to find unused groups or used objects in groups gets a little harder and I would like to see an easier view into those objects.

3 Years

We have never had an issue with its stability.

This product does scale very well and we never had a problem with performance.

Whenever we did have a question on setup or changes, the tech support was very willing to work with us even on basic questions.

We have used Tufin which does a good job looking at groups and objects but AlgoSec adds more of a risk approach to it.

It was very easy to setup and easy to get firewalls working with the manager.

We were able to set it up in-house without any help. That is how easy it was.

Our ROI was seen very quickly since we gave developers the option to look at rules. IT opened up so much time where our firewall engineers had to deal with questions and explanations.

I would start with only a few firewalls and then grow. You can get your feet wet and add more firewalls in next year's budget.

We evaluated Tufin

What other advice do I have?

The solution is pretty solid and intuitive.

reviewer1120656 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Specialist at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
    Improves efficiency within our firewall setup and enables us to react faster to incoming requests
    • "AlgoSec has improved our organization in terms of improving efficiency within our firewall setup. It has added automation to working process that has helped us achieve our initial goal of reacting faster to incoming requests, which as a result of allows the relevant teams time to focus on other areas of importance."
    • "have also heard a few qualms about the technical support and that it could be improved. However, this doesn't detract from the value the tool brings to our business."

What is our primary use case?

Our company has a very large technical estate, with over 90,000 staff and 80,000 computing devices, it was imperative that we found a firewall security management tool that allowed us to speed up the process of change requests when it comes to our firewall IPS team, as they were becoming overwhelmed with the volume of requests.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has improved our organization in terms of improving efficiency within our firewall setup. It has added automation to working process that has helped us achieve our initial goal of reacting faster to incoming requests, which as a result of allows the relevant teams time to focus on other areas of importance.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for us is the ability to automate the change requests that come through our service desk, which is done via the tool's intelligence to analyze the conditional rules. As previously mentioned, this used to be a big time sink for the guys which is now less of an issue. This means that the company can claim back valuable man-hours for other means (also showing a labour cost saving to the board).

What needs improvement?

For the most part, this AlgoSec tool does meet our needs. If I was to think of any improvements I think the main one that stands out to me is confidence in future proofing. A good example is that we are looking at various SOAR which we'd like it to be fully compatible with (but not entirely convinced it is yet). Lastly, I have also heard a few qualms about the technical support and that it could be improved. However, this doesn't detract from the value the tool brings to our business.

reviewer1115961 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a maritime company with 10,001+ employees
    Change automation has made our IPS team more efficient and effective
    • "We have been able to increase the effectiveness of the team, allowing them to prioritize more complex and business-critical tasks in a faster manner."
    • "In terms of integrations, we would like to see a greater number with the upcoming and next-generation tools (i.e. SOAR and a selection of other SIEMs)."

What is our primary use case?

The automation and orchestration of security-related change requests on our selected firewall (in our case Checkpoint) to decrease the time it takes to raise, manipulate, and execute change requests. This is all done with minimal interaction from our Firewall and IPS team, allowing them to more effectively use their time.

How has it helped my organization?

It has eased the process of streamlining our firewall configuration management considerably. Our firewall and IPS team now has the ability to budget their time and focus on other tasks, rather than dealing with repetitive change request functions. This has enabled the team to work much more efficiently and effectively.

What is most valuable?

The feature we found most useful is the automation of the change process within our organization for firewalls. This feature has reduced the number of mundane tasks the firewall and IPS team undertake on a regular basis. We have been able to increase the effectiveness of the team, allowing them to prioritize more complex and business-critical tasks in a faster manner.

What needs improvement?

In terms of integrations, we would like to see a greater number with the upcoming and next-generation tools (i.e. SOAR and a selection of other SIEMs). This has been a problem for us, as we are going through the process of enhancing our security and some of the products we are looking at are lacking built-in support (integration).

reviewer1113381 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Helped optimize our environment during transition to newer Firewall technology
    • "It helps in regulatory compliance metrics and overall firewall security optimization."
    • "The user interface could be a little more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

It is currently used by the network security, audit, and internal control departments of organizations where I have deployed the application. It gives overall insight/visibility and enhances security across the enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

Our company environment used old fashioned firewall devices for a long time and we hardly touched on old firewall rules. With this product, we were able to clean up our firewall rules and organize them neatly. It actually gave us a very straightforward report of what is being used, and not used, for firewall rules.

AlgSec is used for in-depth firewall analysis and intelligent policy tuning and optimization. It helps in regulatory compliance metrics and overall firewall security optimization.

• Firewall rule optimization
    • Regulatory and baseline compliance analysis/mapping
    • Policy tuning
    • Application discovery
    • Automated Change management

What needs improvement?

The reporting portion is weaker than other competitors, although this is good enough to utilize in our environments.

Enhanced integration via API (typically, this is only known by few AlgoSec users).

The user interface could be a little more user-friendly. Other competitors have more of a dashboard look and feel. With AlgoSec, you have to launch new windows to see rule usage reports. It can be a little bit difficult when trying to find more information.

Two years.

Our company was using old fashioned firewall devices.

We did POC on FireMon and AlgoSec. We chose AlgoSec for our company environment.

reviewer1112223 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Improves security, manageability, and compliance for our large installation

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is FW analysis and compliance.

We have hundreds of FWs to manage and check. It is normal that similar rules, and perhaps not so good ones, can be set up. AlgoSec helps to make our network security better and improves our internal customer relationships by using FireFlow.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec helps us to manage hundreds of FWs and take care of policy compliance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the FW report, traffic simulation, and the FireFlow system to help manage requests.

What needs improvement?

We have a complaint about the compliance check, in that sometimes we want to keep rules rather than merge them.

Six months.

This is a stable solution.

I believe that it could be better, and make sure different scenarios are possible.

The customer support is very good. They really show that they want to make the product better, and take care of the customer's needs.

We did not use a previous solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. The complexity sometimes comes from the fact that the company scenario is not so easy.

We implemented the solution internally with support from AlgoSec.

We did evaluate other options, but I am not sure of the reasons for choosing this one because it was a management decision.

reviewer1112223 - PeerSpot reviewer
    reviewer1112223User at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees

Sonia Pinho

reviewer1109571 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Network security optimization saves us time while boosting both security and performance
    • "AlgoSec has reduced the need for additional manpower and we can now use the time to tackle other security-related issues."
    • "We would like to see them utilize the cloud to help with performance improvement, and with various processes needed on a daily basis."

What is our primary use case?

We use AlgoSec to provide compliance and for the ease of automating everyday security tasks. We have more than five hundred firewalls and automation is a must. This was the best product in terms of the flexibility and visibility that we needed to manage them across different regions. We can modify policy according to our maintenance schedule and time zones.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has reduced the need for additional manpower and we can now use the time to tackle other security-related issues. For incident response, you can automatically isolate compromised servers from the network.

It helps remove rules with limited impact on other applications. By maintaining a clean security policy, it reduces the risk from the most common attacks and also improves performance.

AlgoSec has also helped increase collaboration between departments. It helps our network department to reduce third-party involvement in policy creation and management.

What is most valuable?

So far, we are using AlgoSec Analyzer and FireFlow. The Analyzer is more for compliance, risk, and auditing. FireFlow is more for automating rule changes and installation.

Right now I am loving FireFlow for its easy to use interface. You can also get as complex as you are comfortable with. You can add email, scripts, and hooks to certain aspects of the rule creation process.

What needs improvement?

AlgoSec now has cloud products that they are rolling out. This is the next space for which everyone is dedicating more resources. We would like to see them utilize the cloud to help with performance improvement, and with various processes needed on a daily basis. We have two remote agents that help with daily processing and would like to integrate more power from the cloud to be as flexible as possible.

Five years.
    Security Architect, InfoSec at Euronext
    Provides us with alerts on policy changes in near real time
    • "One of the quick wins is to view our device status easily, with out-of-the-box dashboards and charts."
    • "A more granular approach and the possibility to separate data and show relevant data to specific key roles or key users would be a great achievement in future releases."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for this solution are for risk and compliance, policy optimization, and change management automation.

For instance, with AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer Policy Optimization we can easily find unused rules, shadowed rules, unattached objects, and much more. This allows us to clean-up and thus improve performance.

How has it helped my organization?

With AlgoSec we can improve performance, simplify manageability, and tighten security. One of the quick wins is to view our device status easily, with out-of-the-box dashboards and charts. A nice capability is the reporting, with a dedicated BI tool having access to all of our key AlgoSec data.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features is the possibility to monitor all policy changes in near real time and to receive automatic alerts on changes. The AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer security rating visibility is also very useful, helping identify and mitigate firewall policy risks.

What needs improvement?

The reporting component of AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer is something that, in my view, has room for improvement.

It will be welcome in a future version the possibility of having greater granularity, for example when defining the information that we want to see in the reports, to define customized reports by group / user and to make a scheduled sent of the reports.

Being more specific, in our use case for operational teams the report to send would only be the summary of changes of all the rules of a day by Firewall. Focused, without adding unnecessary information.

Other use case is for GRC teams. The report to send should only be the summary of risk changes of a week or a month, per Firewall. Again focused, without adding unnecessary information.

Less than one year.

Very stable, with no issues to report.

This solution has a great scalability capacity.

The customer service for this solution is ok.

Although we had not previously used any solution for Security Policy Management, AlgoSec emerged as a great solution with broad vendor support and a dynamic attitude.

The initial setup is straightforward, but also complex because of the onboarding of different vendors.

Be prepared for a long deployment and optimization time, which in the end is typical for these kinds of solutions.

Our implementation was done using a vendor and in-house mixed team with good expertise.

We have looked at the main competitors, which are FireMon and Tufin.

What other advice do I have?

Enjoy Firewall Security Management and Automation.

Network and Security Engineer at Euronext Technologies
    Relieves workload and increases efficiency by automating time-consuming tasks
    • "We are currently in a rule base performance improvement process and AlgoSec is an invaluable tool to accomplish this."
    • "The product is severely lacking in vendor support."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution to audit our firewall policies (both in performance and compliance), as well as automating the creation of new rules and improving application functionality delivery. We are also using AlgoSec to automate machine provisioning (creation of new rules associated with that machine) and machine decommissioning (removal of rules associated with that machine).

How has it helped my organization?

With AlgoSec, we are now able to automate several time-consuming tasks. We are currently in a rule base performance improvement process and AlgoSec is an invaluable tool to accomplish this. Furthermore, we are starting rule creation automation, which will also provide some relief on our workload.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is AlgoSec's ability to analyze rules for risks and for performance while allowing the user to submit a change request immediately based on that assessment. Additionally, the fact that it integrates seamlessly with Ansible, as well as providing an API for the users to extend based on their own needs, is a great plus for us.

What needs improvement?

The product is severely lacking in vendor support. They claim to support some devices, but when you dig deeper, it is only basic support, with enterprise-grade features for those devices being unsupported. This is a big deal for us, as several sections of our network are not fully supported which, in turn, does not allow us to fully automate rule creation. Moreover, we cannot perform end to end connectivity checks. One such feature is the lack of VRRP support on devices other than Cisco or Juniper, which causes the software to interpret a non-existent router as the next hop for a particular flow (the VIP address of the VRRP).

One year.

While this solution is somewhat stable, there is definitively room for improvement here. We've had some issues with the solution during our usage but, so far, no show stoppers. Other customers of this solution have complained that a large number of devices can severely hinder the stability of the solution.

This is a very scalable solution, built mostly on open source technology. The customer is allowed to extend its functionalities via the API to integrate with other solutions or existing automation.

Technical support is sometimes difficult to deal with as the response times are somewhat lacking. One good thing is that the case owner you are assigned to is generally the same,  which is great because, after several cases, the case owner is already familiar with your network.

The initial setup is not cumbersome at all. The documentation and training videos are definitively a big plus.

The implementation was mainly performed by us, with the help of a vendor team. The level of expertise of the third party was passable, but we were looking forward to having someone with more expertise with the product.

So far, the ROI is currently only due to the fact that rule automation has decreased the load on our support team, allowing them to work on other projects. We are also able to provide reports to auditors without losing a single day from the network support department. We simply provide AlgoSec reports and analysis.

Reseller
    Helps to analyze risks, optimize the rules and policies, and improves performance in network security devices
    • "It assists in provisioning the application rapidly, which increases the organization's revenue."
    • "This product could be improved in several ways including more device support, an automated rollback process and options in active push, software-defined WAN integration and support, and application-aware policy identification and optimization."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases for this solution are:

1. Business Security and Automation
    2. Faster change management solution
    3. Network Security device analyzing and optimization

How has it helped my organization?

• AlgoSec helps to analyze the risk, optimize the rules and policies, and improve performance in network security devices such as firewalls.
    • It helps to perform the network security changes four times faster than the normal change request process.
    • It assists in provisioning the application rapidly, which increases the organization's revenue.
    • The ASMS (AlgoSec Security Management Solution) is fully focused on business security and automation. It ensures business security and agility.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found to be most valuable are:

• Risk Analyzing: Has helped to identify the risks in security network devices in a very short time, which increases and improves security overall.
    • Policy optimization and IPT: Has helped to identify the garbage rules and improve the device performance. Also, has assisted in removing any rules causing IPT failure.
    • Compliance: Helps prepare for the audit in a short time, and assists with continuous compliance.
    • Active push: It is capable of pushing the changes and configuration from AlgoSec itself, which decreases manual errors during implementation and configuration.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved in several ways, including:

• More device support - such as barracuda devices
    • An automated rollback process and options in active push. when we do a active push Algosec takes a policy backup for recovery purpose. if we did any change using active push from Algosec and if the customer wanted to rollback the particular configuration, better if Algosec able provide automated rollback process through AFF rather creating a manual a ticket.
    • Software-defined WAN integration and support
    • Application-aware policy identification and optimization - now a days most of NGFW are creating applications (such as Salesforce, Skype for business etc..) aware policies using their application database. normally destination object will be these applications and not the legacy objects that we created in firewall. if Algosec able to understand these application it will be good move for future market.

We are very impressed with the stability of this solution. The product is very user-friendly and does not cause many technical problems while in operation. Sometimes we might have issues with newly supported device integration and features.

AlgoSec has multiple form factors such as a hardware appliance, VM appliance, and software. The customer can choose the most suitable solution for their environment. Further, AlgoSec has three main components and the customer can purchase them phase by phase, based on their requirements and budget. It can scale up to the total ASMS solution using the same resources.

As per my experience, AlgoSec provides very good customer service and technical support. They are very friendly and their response time and SLA are very impressive.

We did not use another solution before this one.

The initial setup is very straightforward and easy. Further, AlgoSec provides better documentation and self-support services where we can learn, reference, and be empowered.

We are a value-added distributor of AlgoSec and have implemented this solution for many customers in addition to ourselves. Our customers are happy with the implementation.

Our return on investment with this solution is between one and two years.

The setup for this solution is not very costly. The licensing is very easy to set up, with flexible licensing methods such as subscription and perpetual. The pricing itself is also flexible, with it being related to the number of devices and applications.

Before selecting this product, we evaluated Tufin.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very useful for any type of organization with multiple network security devices such as firewalls, routers, etc, and have the goal of achieving business security and automation.

AlgoSec has main three components that can be purchased in different phases if required. They are:

• AFA: AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer
    • AFF: AlgoSec FireFlow
    • ABF: AlgoSec BusinessFlow
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a value-added distributor for Algosec and we have implemented the Algosec solution in many customer places in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
    Bogi Wicaksono - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at Dimension Data
    Enables us to analyze and optimize our firewall by evaluating the rules and services
    • "The features that are most valuable are the interactive topology map and the traffic simulation queries."
    • "The MAP has a persistent issue with a firewall that is using a double BVI (Bridge virtual interface)."

What is our primary use case?

The AlgoSec Firewall analyzer has helped us to analyze and optimize our firewall by evaluating the rules and services. These include routing, access rules, and restricting both applications and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped my client to analyze and assess whether any service or routes are needed for connections that are going to be created. It has also optimized the efficiency of the firewall by evaluating the rule set.

This solution helps us to save time, making the job more efficient for our network engineer.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are the interactive topology map and the traffic simulation queries.

The MAP helps us by generating a network topology map and checking the routing table for every device that is connected. The traffic simulation queries help us to check the connection between two objects. This allows us to gather information about the devices pertaining to blocked traffic or services that we need to add.

What needs improvement?

The MAP has a persistent issue with a firewall that is using a double BVI (Bridge Virtual Interface). In this configuration, it cannot give the correct and proper topology, so the traffic simulation query cannot run properly between the source and destination.

Less than one year.

We have used other firewall products and it is very complex to check if any connections are down or blocked.

reviewer1068567 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Policy optimization, visibility, and a faster change management process has reduced unnecessary times required for manually changing processes
    • "We have not seen many faults reported from our customers."
    • "There is room for improvement in the rollback process."

What is our primary use case?

As a value-added distributor, we sell the AlgoSec solution primarily to financial institutions and Telcos. This is done through our partner network. The main use case we see is process automation. Customers can manage several firewalls or network devices with a single pane of glass.

How has it helped my organization?

Policy optimization, visibility, and a faster change management process has reduced unnecessary times required for manually changing processes. The resources are now utilized more effectively for other areas.

What is most valuable?

• Risk Analyzing: Short time analysis and accuracy
    • Policy Optimization: Removing garbage policy rules and improving the performance of network devices
    • Compliance: For Audits in the short term

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the rollback process.

What we would like to see in the future is related to support. For integration with newly supported devices, we require a proper support matrix with an escalation process.

In regards to stability, there is no complexity. We have not seen many faults reported by our customers. Faults are rectified quickly.

AlgoSec facilitates several form factors where customers can choose different options, including both hardware and software. For CloudFlow customers, we now have the SaaS model as well.

The support from the AlgoSec team is prompt and helps to rectify the issues in a timely manner.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is straightforward for many of our customers. However, when we integrate with some newly supported network devices there is a challenge in getting support from the AlgoSec team.

As the distributor, all of the implementations for our customers was done by our own engineers.

Depending on the customer it takes between twelve months and eighteen months to see ROI.

The pricing is flexible with a low cost setup.

There is no complexity in the licensing methods.

As a distributor, we took AlgoSec as a complementary product to Fortinet, which was one of our main products.

Helps to maintain and provide regulatory compliance metrics and to optimize the overall security of the organization
    • "It saves time by allowing administrators to test network traffic and pinpoint which rules are being triggered for a particular traffic flow."
    • "I would like the reporting to be more customizable, as per user and auditing needs."

What is our primary use case?

The AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer was greatly used for firewall analysis, policy tuning, and optimization. The automated change management feature was very useful and integrates seamlessly into the change management process.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps in maintaining and providing regulatory compliance metrics and to optimize the overall security of the organization. It provides great visibility into your firewall rules, thereby allowing you to eliminate redundant or overlapping rules. It saves time by allowing administrators to test network traffic and pinpoint which rules are being triggered for a particular traffic flow.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features to me were the following:

1. Testing network flows and optimizing firewall policies.
    2. Obtaining regulatory and compliance metrics for audits.
    3. Visualize complex networks using the topology maps.
    4. Simple interface and ease of navigation.

What needs improvement?

The product has a lot of great features already. However, I would like the reporting to be more customizable, as per user and auditing needs.

Less than one year.

It is a highly scalable solution as per my experience.

I haven't used any other solutions.

I do not have much information on the pricing, as I wasn't part of the actual procurement process. I was told that the pricing and licensing was comparatively fair.

I did a basic evaluation of FireMon, which had identical features to the AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer.

Technical Presales Engineer at Exclusive Networks
    The policy tightening feature gives the visibilities of "any to any" rules, which source and destination are used, and the actual traffic from overly permissive rules.

What is our primary use case?

• Overly permissive rules need more visibility, and we have given the "any to any" access in some cases.
    • Looking for the solution which will provide details and description of the policy, like providing the source and destination addresses that are used from particular rules.

How has it helped my organization?

Policy optimisation helped reduce the policy count of the firewall. Therefore, the visibility of firewall policies improved.

What is most valuable?

Policy tightening feature: It gives the visibilities of "any to any" rules, which source and destination are used, and the actual traffic from overly permissive rules. Therefore, we are able to tighten the policy of the firewall.

What needs improvement?

I would like to suggest that cloud visibility feature is provided in the next release. We would be able to understand how traffic flows from the source to destination.

Yes, Skybox was there, but the GUI and some of the features are missing.

Technical Director at Keystone Solutions, Inc.
    The product, directly implementing the policies to be enforced by the gateways, makes life easier for IT

What is our primary use case?

• A systems integrator to implement for clients
    • To help them manage their firewalls that were bought from us as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the organization by giving us visibility in the process of our clients and automates policy implementations and checks. It gives value to our managed services that we provide.

What is most valuable?

• Algosec Firewall Analyzer and Algosec FireFlow: They basically give us a full picture of how traffic flows and how we can secure it.
    • The product, directly implementing the policies to be enforced by the gateways, makes life easier to the IT.

What needs improvement?

Based on the conference I just attended, it is improving by Algosec opening their API more. This allows us as a systems integrator to give more value to our clients. We will be able to integrate more things that do not come out of the box.

Less than one year.

Stability is fine as it's been in the market for a long time.

Scalability is fine especially as they just released their CloudFlow as well.

AlgoSec helps us be ramped up on our technical expertise on the product.

N/A.

Licensing is simple, and the setup is straightforward.

Yes, Tufin.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Systems Integrator
    The ability to see rules with a few clicks isd valuable

What is our primary use case?

• Firewall management, configuration, and risk management functions to ensure the highest security posture
    • Automated change notification is a must and is critical in maintaining a safe environment and compliance.
    • Need the ability to review the policy and NAT rule bases
    • Lastly, logs from a firewall can be overwhelming and difficult to maintain, so every security department needs the ability to review logs with accuracy.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec provides visibility of policy and NAT firewall rules for rule review and cleanup. It provides risk management status of our firewalls at a glance, and notifies when any change is made to the firewalls. This solution has improved our security posture, lowered our risk and exposure, saved time with cleanup and maintaining the firewalls, and allowed for log review with ease. Finally, AlgoSec has changed how firewall management and changes are conducted, so it has improved our overall process and procedures.

What is most valuable?

I value all the rich features of AlgoSec equally since it solves many problems with one solution. From the ability to see rules with a few clicks to maintaining or lowering the firewall's security risk score is priceless. And, the support team behind the solution is equally as strong and helpful, making this one of my best implementation decisions and tools in the toolset.

What needs improvement?

AlgoSec is my favorite tool because it does what it is designed to do and it does it well. The service I've received from their support teams is second to none. They have always successfully answered my questions and solved my problems. So, it is difficult to improve a solid solution but, not everything is perfect. Having executive type reporting capabilities which explain the security posture and scoring to provide to executive management would be a nice feature to add. Reports can be printed, but an executive summary report would be an improvement.

reviewer1000023 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User with 10,001+ employees
    Its ability to highlight filtering rules that would mask other more specific rules leads to an optimization of the system

What is our primary use case?

• The flagship feature used is its correlation of filtering rules (ACL/firewall).
    • The audit of changes made in our environment is also very useful in the investigation of failure.

In an environment where onion layer security is strongly implemented, the filter elements can be configured in various places, and the traffic simulator proves, in this case, to be life-saving, whether in diagnostic time or in efficiency.

How has it helped my organization?

The AlgoSec solution has allowed us to achieve a clean-up and optimization of our filtering rules across our entire environment. The rules analysis allowed us to delegate the tool for operational purposes for the evaluation of firewall opening and audit requirements.

What is most valuable?

• The filter rules correlator allows us not only to have a clear view of the blocking points but also the quality of the filtering performed on the various firewalls highlighted by their risk index.
    • Another interesting feature of the product is its ability to highlight filtering rules that would mask other more specific rules and thus lead to an optimization of the system.
    • AlgoSec also allows us to have a history of changes. This feature is especially useful in the event of an outage or an unwanted change.

What needs improvement?

Although I'm very satisfied with the product, one of the ways of improving the product could lie, perhaps, in the acceleration of the analysis process and especially in the section — traffic simulation query.

Another improvement would be the support of an orchestration of different firewalls in a heterogeneous environment, mainly at the level of the management of the objects so as to have a homogeneous nomenclature.

reviewer1019766 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    I like the ability to manage all network security equipments centrally

What is our primary use case?

• To manage the various network security equipment deployed
    • Be able to detect unauthorized changes in those equipment.

How has it helped my organization?

It is still being deployed, but it shall enable reliance on more third parties out of the IT security team without losing the assurance that the configurations are under control.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to manage all the network security equipment centrally
    • Ability to delegate to local ITs the network security equipment change requests
    • Ability to decrease the necessary workload to enable network connections, troubleshoot
    • Ability to detect unauthorized or non-compliant changes in the network security equipment configuration.

What needs improvement?

Ability to manage more diversity of equipment, as well as simplify the management of the various workflows.

Still implementing.

No previous solution.

Yes: Tufin.

Security-Architect-Lux - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at POST Luxembourg
    Provides a good optimization function that matches our needs related to other vendors

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case was the firewall policy cleaning and optimisation, plus compliance control and some change auditing.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec provides a good optimization function that matches our needs related to other vendors. It allows us to clean useless rules and objects.

What is most valuable?

We are only using Firewall Analyzer, which is really good compared to other vendors. The other features (FireFlow and BusinessFlow) still aren't mature, and their licensing is expensive.

What needs improvement?

The production needs to be smarter and maybe have some AI capabilities to provide better firewall optimization and workflow integration.

The solution is more stable than in the past.

The report takes time, and the virtual appliance is a resource consumer.

The documentation is clear. The support is available but restricted to some requests that need advance service (not free).

Yes, AlgoSec provides a better solution for the firewall rule optimization that matches our production need.

The initial setup was simple, and only firewall integration could take time due to some complex interaction.

The implementation was in-house; the product is still simple to manage.

Reduced the firewall load due to a good rule table and then extended the firewall life cycle.

Compare with other products to see which one matches the best their needs.

Tufin, Skybox.

Network Manager at iPSL
    The risk and compliance area is key to ensuring we conform to company regulations

What is our primary use case?

We use the AFA to accurately determine rule use and where we can make improvements across our checkpoint estate. We have around 17 clusters of firewalls that are in constant use and frequently change rules.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has given us the confidence to remove unused rules, consolidate where appropriate, and prove reachability prior to searching a rule base to check access for an application or user. Breaking down a rule to specify used objects within groups and protocols used has proved invaluable for us to narrow exposure to potential threats.

What is most valuable?

A number of features are used more than others. We use the policy optimiser to search out unused objects in rules and determine when the rule was last hit accurately.

The risk and compliance area is key to ensuring we conform to company regulation. Having a number of compliance options to baseline ensures that we get the basics right before looking at advanced risks and remediation.

Finally, the traffic simulator can be used to check if a request from a user or project is already a function enabled or we have a full access change to implement.

What needs improvement?

• The maps are a little clunky and could be made easier with some automatic layout technology which assists in spacing out the devices for easier viewing.

It runs well with little intervention.

Good, it has the ability to add more devices anytime.

We use Bytes to escalate, and this has proved effective.

Straightforward, it needs to run for a period to ensure accuracy.

We used Bytes Security to assist in setup and initial optimization.

Not really applicable.

Setup is easy; we use a VM to run it. Having knowledge in Linux is not a requirement but helps when required to update the software. Also, ensure the reseller has the ability to escalate any issues in case they can't fix it for you. Your licensing should cover the support of the product.

Yes, we looked at Tufin and FireMon.

What other advice do I have?

Put it in, let it collect for up to 12 months and ensure you run regular reports. Only then can you be sure that you don't use rules. Remember, DR testing and failovers sometimes happen on a 6 or 12-month basis, and removing rules covering this will cause issues when you least expect it.

Deputy CISO/ Security Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    I have found the firewall optimisation feature to be very valuable

What is our primary use case?

I use AlgoSec for my firewall rule optimisation, compliance baseline auditing, firewall change reviews, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has helped tighten the rules on my firewalls, reduce the risks or exposure, and also meet regulatory compliance.

What is most valuable?

I have found the firewall optimisation feature to be very valuable because most developers don't know the ports or services their applications are running. After running the rules on any services for a short while, AlgoSec helps get the right service ports and IP addresses.

What needs improvement?

The product or service could be improved by orchestration or automation that will help in changing the rule sets on the firewalls based on the detected used services/ports and IP addresses.

AlgoSec has been very stable compared with its pairs.

The solution's scalability is impressive.

Service/technical support are good at their job and responsive.

No, I didn't.

It is quite easy to deploy and manage.

Implemented through a vendor and their level of expertise is high.

Worth every penny, and the value realisation is great.

AlgoSec is worth every penny for the value or return of investment.

No evaluations. AlgoSec was recommended, and we got a trial version for a period.

What other advice do I have?

None.

Olivier Beytrison - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Architect at HES-SO//Fribourg
    The traffic simulation query helps to understand which rules match or don't match for a specific traffic pattern, helping troubleshoot application issues.

What is our primary use case?

• To change management of the rules
    • History of changes
    • Risk analysis and evolution of the risk factors over time.

How has it helped my organization?

• Transparency over the actions made in the rulebase by the different firewall operators
    • Documentation of the rules.

What is most valuable?

The traffic simulation query helps to understand which rules match or don't match for a specific traffic pattern, helping troubleshoot application issues.

What needs improvement?

We use the "rules change notification" feature to inform the different firewall managers when someone made a change. The actual change comes in a PDF file attached to the e-mail, while it would be faster to have it directly embedded in the notification mail.

Depending on your network topology, the traffic simulator might have some hard time tracing the traffic path between your devices correctly. This has already been improved in the past but could still be enhanced.

Three to five years.

The solution is very stable. Some caution is required when you do major upgrades on your firewalls to ensure that AlgoSec can still work with the new software release of the firewall.

The setup is very easy, as it comes as a virtual appliance you deploy in your own virtual environment. The setup is straightforward, and you can very quickly add your firewalls and start tracking changes, query the traffic simulator, and so on.

AndyWodzien - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer at WPPI Energy

What is our primary use case?

We used AlgoSec during a migration between firewall vendors. We needed a tool that could help evaluate the effectiveness of our existing rule base and inventory network objects.

How has it helped my organization?

Running AlgoSec helped us clean up years worth of obsolete rules and objects. This left us with a clean and up-to-date policy on our new firewalls.

What is most valuable?

• Policy risk mitigation identifies and helps tighten risky rules rendering the policy more secure.
    • The change management feature is great for environments with multiple firewall engineers.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I had slight issues with is the web UI which is a bit tricky to navigate. It can be difficult to find what you're looking for without having to click around for a bit, but once you get to know where things are, it's not bad.

Trial/evaluations only.

This is the first solution of this kind I have used.

Setup is a breeze.

I did not evaluate any other solutions.

reviewer1003620 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User with 10,001+ employees
    Enables us to track the complete process of the change, have it fully documented and implemented much faster than it was before

We are using AlgoSec for security policy change management.

Firewall environment in our enterprise consists of Check Point firewalls, which controls communication between a couple of our LAN areas (Office, Production, Facility, Logistic, Development...). The frequency of service requests coming to the queue can be very high and that put a lot of challenges in front of the security team. The additional challenge is that we also have an outsourcing company which implements those service request for us.

We searched for the product that would help us to deal with such challenges and after a couple of comparisons, we decided to go with AlgoSec. That was a decision we never regretted.

AlgoSec is allowing us to track the complete process of the change, have it fully documented and implemented much faster than it was before.

I can highly recommend AlgoSec, it makes everyday work easier.

What we would like to see in the future from AlgoSec, is integration with Cisco DNA Center in order to track TrustSec changes in SD-Access fabric.

Since we already see that integration with Cisco ACI is in place, I suppose that integration with another controller for Software-Defined Networking should be on the product roadmap.

reviewer1006992 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Detects in a few seconds which flows are right or wrong which saves a lot of troubleshooting time

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use this application to check the flows. I work for a big company in the network team which needs to check the flows every day.

How has it helped my organization?

This application is very nice. We save a lot of time with troubleshooting the flows and we can detect in a few seconds what flows are right or wrong.

What is most valuable?

The AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer is for me the most valuable thing in this application. I don't know how much time we saved with this application, but I now know that without it, we would lose several hours every day solving networks incidents.

We also use the AlgoSec FireFlow to generate and manage the tickets concerning the flows.

What needs improvement?

I think that AlgoSec could improve the application by improving the treatment speed.

If AlgoSec could make few seconds less to analyze research, theses few seconds will be used by my team to be more efficient.

I mean, in the Traffic Simulation Query, it will be wonderful if Algosec could find a way to make the research faster than now. In fact, we are often waiting arround 1,30 min to see the results.

Maybe something can be done to make this reasearch faster?

No, it is my first application for this kind of work.

It was not my work to choose this solution; a project team did it.

reviewer1003116 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User with 10,001+ employees
    Tremendously improved our organization's security with much better and efficient firewall rules

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to clean up firewall rules of migration from Cisco ASA to another firewall vendor. We try to get rid of old rules and get these converted into new rules which apply better to our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It tremendously improved the security of our organization with much better and efficient firewall rules. We saved a lot of time using this tool to get the rules clean. Also, the overview of the network topology map is a very good thing to get a clear view of every single region in your network.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is, in my opinion, the firewall analyzer. Just let the tool analyze the traffic for a few days or weeks, and you will get perfect ideas on how to improve your rules and which rules are just unnecessary or too spacious. So getting a better security level by better firewall rules is just what you want to have if you're using a firewall. Otherwise, it would not make sense to have a firewall, right?

A nice feature as well is that it gives a compliance report on each of your security devices. This helps a lot to get an overview of every single security device in your network and its status.

What needs improvement?

The versioning is a bit weird. We used to use version 2017 which is quite current, but it looks like it is a 2017 version. As far as I know, they want to have this changed soon. Nevertheless, this is something which definitely needs to be improved.

Mark Grady - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead - Security Infrastructure Consultant at TSYS
    Greatly improved the time and resources spent on creating and deploying our firewall rules

What is our primary use case?

We use AlgoSec to manage our firewalls and to manage our firewall ACL change workflow. We also use AlgoSec to get better visibility into our traffic flows, to optimize our firewalls rules, and to analyze risks.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has greatly improved the time and resources spent on creating and deploying our firewall rules. Our network and security teams can now smartly research our ACLs and implement them with confidence.

What is most valuable?

We found the traffic simulation query, active change, policy optimization, FireFlow, and map features to be especially helpful. All the other application features are valuable as well. We have yet to fully unleash its full potential.

What needs improvement?

The tech support and ticketing system could use some improvement and need more of a personal touch.

Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    The configuration backup feature is helpful to restore configuration when the config file is corrupted

What is our primary use case?

AlgoSec helps us audit and track changes made to firewall rule configuration. We are able to see network administrator's activities on the firewall. The feature of backup firewall configurations as scheduled is very useful to restore firewall configurations.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to clean up and optimize the firewall rule sets by identifying duplicate rules, covered rules, and even rules that have not received hits within a defined period. The baseline of in-built policies such as PCI DSS helps us maintain good security ratings in compliance with regulatory standards.

What is most valuable?

• Track new rules
    • Modified rules and deleted rules
    • The configuration backup feature is also helpful to restore configuration when the config file is corrupted.

What needs improvement?

• The font size on the Changes Summary Report is very small when reading the print out copy.
    • AlgoSec can look at ways to include a change management workflow process or integrate with third-party ticketing solutions.
    • Explore ways to detect unused port numbers per firewall rules.

The solution is very stable. Updates are also readily available upon release.

AlgoSec  - PeerSpot reviewer
    AlgoSec Marketing at AlgoSec

Hi Joke,
    Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. we're happy to share that both functionalities you had mentioned in your feedback are included in our solutions:
    1) AlgoSec FireFlow already offers a comprehensive “zero-touch” change management workflow https://www.algosec.com/firewall-policy-cleanup-optimization/. AlgoSec also integrates with 3rd party ticketing solutions, including ServiceNow, BMC Remedy, HP Service Manager and more. https://www.algosec.com/supported-devices/
    2) AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer includes the functionality of tightening overly permissive rules, which allows you to review, detect and remove any unused port numbers. https://www.algosec.com/firewall-policy-cleanup-optimization/
    For more information, please contact your AlgoSec representative.

Zach Sloneker - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Security Analyst at The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc.

What is our primary use case?

AlgoSec's Firewall Analyzer tool for rule usage and recertification. Our firewall governance group uses the AFA tool to gather object and rule usage on a recurring basis for recertification as well as research and design of new firewall rule changes.

How has it helped my organization?

Object and rule usage statistics enable object-level recertification of all rules. AFA usage statistics have enabled our company to establish regularly scheduled recertifications of all firewall rules across all policies.

What is most valuable?

Traffic simulation queries, policy tuner analysis and rule usage. Traffic simulation queries assist with new firewall change design and reduce manual work effort. Policy tuner analysis and rule usage enable recertification and provide additional validation for new changes.

What needs improvement?

Support/upgrade processes and documentation. The platform would benefit from additional support articles and guides on the Algopedia knowledge base.

This solution scales well from tens of devices to thousands.

Support interactions have been hit or miss. It is my understanding the AlgoSec is putting a renewed focus on support and documentation to improve this aspect going forward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend investing the time in a full project to implement the AlgoSec suite if you will be using more than just the Analyzer piece. Fireflow and Business flow would benefit from dedicated standup time and effort to achieve the best results.

Security Engineer at Genuine Parts Company
    The feature I find most valuable is Change Detection email notifications. We are able to track real-time changes made.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this appliance is for Firewall maintenance and monitoring. Firewalls are a critical component in all organizations. As engineers, we are tasked with more responsibilities. You want to efficiently manage your time and devices, AlgoSec helps tremendously with that.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has improved our organization by providing us with an appliance to assist with our daily Firewall duties. AFA & AFF assist with change detection and logging of user modifications. Also, it's a great tool when preparing for audits and ensuring your firewalls are in compliance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Currently, the product is doing everything we have asked for. Its a huge component for our Firewall maintenance. One key component is the integration with ServiceNow for Firewall rule requests. This helps expedite the process and track every step from user to configuration.

Some area's where the product can improve is with the knowledgebase. Sometimes you have to do additional reading for your particular error.

Some additional features I'd like to see are for the reports. As opposed to showing me the entire objects/rules on the change detection email for that particular firewall, I'd like to see just the changes. I think this would be beneficial to none technical personal that may get overwhelmed with all of the data.

Also, having a Linux or programming background makes troubleshooting easier. That is one challenge I'm working on now to improve fixing our issues quicker.

Less than one year.

So far for what the solution does, it's stable.

The solution is very scalable so far.

Support thus far is sufficient for our needs. Their system is very timely and engineers engage you via email first, then migrate to phone and screen share if needed.

No previous solution.

I wasn't part of the implementation.

I wasn't part of the implementation.

I think we have a great ROI due to the improved visibility and management that the solution now provides us.

I wasn't part of the setup cost. Pricing and licensing seem fair. Licensing depends on how big your organization is. We haven't had any issues with purchasing more licenses for our growth.

This solution was in place prior to me transitioning to this role.

What other advice do I have?

No additional comments.

it_user837879 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Security Analyst at The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc.
    User

What is our primary use case?

• We use the Firewall Analyzer extensively to manage our firewall security policies.
    • We use it to assist in processing firewall changes, clean up unused rules and objects, and perform rule re-certifications.

How has it helped my organization?

We could not effectively manage our security policies before using the Firewall Analyzer tool. We had never performed a firewall cleanup. We could not meet our Audit Requirement of re-certifying without the Firewall analyzer tool.

What is most valuable?

Firewall Analyzer's policy optimization reports: They provide the data needed to perform all the activities mentioned above.

What needs improvement?

We have had challenges with technical support as mentioned earlier. However, we have a new account team and they are very responsive and addressing our concerns.

More than five years.

We had a number of issues moving from 6.11 to 2107.1 but have found the latest code 2018.1 to be much more stable.

No issues with scalability in our environment. We do not have a large number of managed devices as we only manage our 21 firewalls.

We have had challenges with technical support as mentioned earlier. However, we have a new account team, and they are very responsive in attending to our concerns.

No, we evaluated AlgoSec and Tufin, and we selected AlgoSec.

The initial setup is very intuitive and not an issue for those with a good understanding of security, networks and the company's use of them.

In-house and we should have employed the vendor/professional services for an engagement to assist in the FireFlow implementation.

This is a difficult question to answer quantitatively. I'd say it is a great story when determining ROI for the Analyzer. We could not meet audit requirements, including PCI, which had the potential for large fines going forward.

The ROI for FireFlow is more of an incomplete story, and much of the issue is the way in which we implemented it.

We also purchased AlgoSec's FireFlow tool. We have had challenges getting value from it, and it is because the scope of this tool is very broad compared to Analyzer. In hindsight, we should have created a formal project and management backing to ensure success with this tool.

The scope of a Fireflow implementation touches many organizations and we did not have an appreciation of the need for involvement of so many.

David Ord - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at Enbridge Gas
    User
    Currently, the primary use is log analysis as we are migrating from Check Point to Palo Alto and need to purge the unused rules during migration.

What is our primary use case?

I have a North American wide multi-site network with a large amount, 100+ primary firewalls and hundreds of remote firewalls. We have loaded into AlgoSec most of these via CheckPoint CMA and Palo Alto Panorama. Currently, the primary use is log analysis as we are migrating from CP to PA and need to purge the unused rules during migration.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helping with the migration as we don’t carry over empty rules and allows consolidation of rules.

What is most valuable?

AFA analyze reports are the biggest use case to review the rules before migration and removing the unused rules for cleanup.

What needs improvement?

The Network Map is a feature that could use work, it is a big piece but is always a moving target with large routing tables in use and speed of use becomes an issue doing queries.

Three to five years.

In 2018.1 release the VIP always up is a great feature and a 3-way cluster is a good idea.

We were a Tufin user but moved due to a POC with another asset we acquired which had AlgoSec and at the end we preferred AlgoSec.

Mark DeLongchamp - PeerSpot reviewer
    Global Network Security Engineer at General Motors
    It easily scaled up to support our hundreds of firewalls.

What is our primary use case?

Provides visibility to firewall policies.

Single tool to engineer changes and track approvals for audit compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

A Central tool to track firewall requests.

Using AlgoSec API calls to integrate with other apps (ex: central IT request portal)

What is most valuable?

Standard view of firewall policies, regardless of vendor (ex: Checkpoint and Cisco).

Built-in reports to aid in policy cleanup (ex: unused rules or objects, covered rules).

What needs improvement?

Faster HA/DR failover - with very large databases, it takes a long time to failover / failback.

Provide even more REST API calls (ex: rule removal API)

More than five years.

Product and appliances have been very stable.

It easily scaled up to support our hundreds of firewalls.

Both are excellent.

Customer service is clearly important to AlgoSec. I never get the feeling they're just trying to sell me something, they sincerely try to assist with the best solution for us.

Tech support is extremely knowledgeable and responsive. If I could score them 11, I would.

Did not use another solution previously.

Initial deployment was straightforward. The FireFlow workflow can be configured to match the existing flow - customizing this to match any workflow permutations takes the most time.

Through a vendor team. They were top-notch - extremely knowledgeable and great to work with.

Unknown.

Explore the possibility of running on a VM instead of dedicated hardware.

I was not part of the evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is very flexible. Be sure to allocate sufficient resources to deploy & customize it.

reviewer947805 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User
    It helped us clear out almost half the work by identifying the rules automatically with no manual work.

What is our primary use case?

We have been using AlgoSec mainly to review/filter duplicate firewall rules and policies.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us clear out almost half the work by identifying the rules automatically with no manual work, which is very cool.

What is most valuable?

The analysis and visualization part has given us a great insight into our perimeter security architecture. Also, the top 100 policy report usage is a pretty cool feature that I like the most. It also helps us from an auditing standpoint as well to make sure we meet our compliance demands.

What needs improvement?

I think the product is great from an overall observation, sometimes speed is an issue but I think it could be improved a little bit from a parsing perspective.

reviewer946827 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    User
    We recently moved our data center to a new location and we migrated our firewalls from one vendor to a different vendor. AlgoSec helped us tremendously to clean up shadow rules, unused objects.

What is our primary use case?

We have a big environment consisting of around 100 firewalls with a combination of different vendors. We use AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer to analyze our firewall rules from different vendors and importantly for our firewall optimization project.

How has it helped my organization?

We recently moved our data center to a new location and we migrated our firewalls from one vendor to a different vendor. AlgoSec helped us tremendously to clean up shadow rules, unused objects even before moving to a new vendor.

What is most valuable?

Firewall Optimization is all time favorite which saves a lot of manual work and increases device performance. Compliance is also equally important as our organization is very concerned about it and AlgoSec does it for us in minutes.

What needs improvement?

I always wanted AlgoSec to support cloud base security firewalls such as Amazon security groups-AWS or Microsoft Azure network security groups. Hoping they will have it ready by end of 2018.

AlgoSec releases hotfixes every now and then which keeps the product stable and with better performance.

AlgoSec is a much-needed tool for any organization as it helps in reducing manual effort when it comes to managing firewalls.

I have not contacted customer service that much but whenever I do, I receive a great support and they reach beyond your expectations.

We have used Tufin beforemuch-much we faced lots of challenges and saw bugs all the time so we wanted something better.

I have AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer and FireFlow certifications which helped me a lot during initial set up. It was straightforward and easy.

It was in-house.

It's a lot, as it saves time and money.

I am a security engineer and from my point, I would say setup is without complications. Pricing and licensing is taken care of by my senior management so I cannot comment on it.

Just Tufin, as this was a competitor to AlgoSec.

What other advice do I have?

It's simply great, keep going.

AJC-2000 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Consultant at Total System Services, Inc.
    It has simplified rule optimisation and compliance.

What is our primary use case?

My organisation has used Firewall Analyser for many years to simplify and automate rule set management across an estate of hundreds of Checkpoint firewalls. Key functionality provided covers compliance reporting and identification of duplicate and unused, as well as risky rules.

How has it helped my organization?

Algosec is a game changer for our environment due to core functionality provided by Firewall Analyser. It has simplified rule optimisation and compliance. We are now building on this by deploying AlgoSec FireFlow which we expect to massively reduced the time and complexity around firewall change requests and approval.

What is most valuable?

Compliance and risk reporting are the most valuable features of the product, closely followed by FireFlow, which builds on the analysis engine. I have also found the team to be engaging and customer focused.

What needs improvement?

I look forward to cloud service integration, which is coming in future releases and this should help make the product more of a complete solution. I would also like to see AlgoBot integrate with other communication systems such as Rocket Chat.

Thiago Bujnowski, PMP - PeerSpot reviewer
    Defensive Security Leader at Stone Pagamentos
    Providing reports and security improvements added value to the services provided to our customers

What is our primary use case?

Implemented in a Managed Security Service Provider and had every managed customer firewalls integrated as part of the service. The tops were used to generate baseline reports and compliance views suiting all kinds of businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution greatly improved the value delivered to the customer, generating reports and providing suggestions for improvements.

What is most valuable?

AlgoSec Firewall Analyser (AFA): Providing reports and security improvements actually added value to the services provided to our customers. This was a key feature provided as a service allowing us to be proactive anticipating possible flaws and vulnerabilities.

What needs improvement?

• Support more and more vendors, like minor ones: WatchGuard and others.
    • Also, it would be interesting if it could analyse iptables and IPFW rules and support migration.
    • Windows Firewall and Forefront would also be nice since we often need to migrate from those platforms and prove the value of the newly installed solutions.

More than five years.

Very stable, I've had minimal problems using it, and the solution feels really mature.

Not that great, they are improving though.

Great support. Always available.

Completely straightforward except with the configuration of Check Point devices which requires additional steps.

In-house.

Great return since the firewall analysis was sold as a service to our customer.

Setup is really straightforward, and their professional services are available for your every need. About costs, I don't see much difference from its competitors.

Yes. Tufin and FireMon.

What other advice do I have?

It's not a solution to install and forget. To bring out the best of its value you must always keep generating reports and applying corrections. It's a great tool to have especially if you have too many juniors operators.

Presales Manager at SEFISA
    User
    FireFlow helped with documenting all the processes in our rule implementations

What is our primary use case?

Check Point platform with over 14 clusters.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very useful for PCI DSS compliance.

FireFlow has been a winning product, as it helped with documenting all the processes in our rule implementations.

What is most valuable?

Rule optimization is one of the features that we have used the most, as firewalls were running for a while with no prior process rules created for them and no follow up being done.

What needs improvement?

• The reporting could be a bit better.
    • FireFlow was a bit tricky to configure with its customized flows. Maybe the latest release will resolve this.

Three to five years.

Deployment was fairly easy. There were no issues.

Everything was done using in-house resources.

reviewer877923 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Account Director
    User
    • "We see the value of BusinessFlow for organisations involved in digital transformation projects migrating to public/private/hybrid cloud models."
    • "FireFlow continues to drive customer efficiencies, allowing an organisation to keep up with the pace of change."
    • "Further integration with ACI and NSX will be key to our customers' requirements moving forward, as customers adopt new, innovative environments."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of customer use cases are around rule optimisation, workflow management, and risk/compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers are able to optimise and clean the rule sets on our FW estate and streamline the change management process whilst adhering to compliance, governance, and risk requirements.

What is most valuable?

• Firewall Analyser due to its initial ability to cleanse and provide efficiencies to legacy estates.
    • FireFlow continues to drive customer efficiencies, allowing an organisation to keep up with the pace of change.
    • We see the value of BusinessFlow for organisations involved in digital transformation projects migrating to public/private/hybrid cloud models.

Not applicable.

Our customers are receiving quick ROI using the AlgoSec platform when compared to the FTE costs for using legacy manual processes.

Licensing is offered as a subscription and as a perpetual model.

Pricing is easy to grasp.

We looked at Tufin and Skybox. AlgoSec was the only vendor who had the full suite of products which met the customer and business demands. BusinessFlow was (still is) the game changer.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Accredited AlgoSec Partner.
    WingPoon - PeerSpot reviewer
    Global Network Solution Architech at AXA Tech
    Ensures global policies are applied to all regional firewalls. Needs support for its cloud-based solution.
    • "We use it for global firewall rules management to ensure global policies are applied to all regional firewalls, provide auditing and compliance."
    • "It needs better API integration with its third-party firewall management."
    • "It needs support for its cloud-based solution."

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• Central firewall management
    • Security policy change management
    • Firewall auditing
    • Compliance
    • Firewall policy optimization

What is most valuable?

AlgoSec FireFlow:

• Eliminates mistakes and optimizes firewall rules.
    • Firewall rule compliance with global security policies.
    • Eliminates redundant and unused firewall rules.
    • Reporting.

What needs improvement?

• It needs better API integration with its third-party firewall management.
      • It needs support for its cloud-based solution.

No scalability issues.

We have had no complaints about their support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

It is somewhat complex to initially setup.

We implemented it in-house.

it_user877515 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Sr Firewall Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The PCI compliance feature has been helpful in preparing for audits

What is our primary use case?

I work at a multi-vendor firewall environment. AlgoSec is primarily used to see what firewall policies are in place, as well as PCI compliance levels.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec has helped us save time by having one central location to view firewall policies, especially when crossing multiple vendors.

What is most valuable?

The PCI compliance feature has been helpful in preparing for audits. The Firewall Analyzer has been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

We are still waiting to implement FireFlow, and getting it into place will hopefully speed up our implementation time and help with policy standardization. There have been some difficulties in getting this portion set up in our environment.

it_user872862 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Security and Network Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      Gives control and visibility to end users
      • "It gives control and visibility to the end users."
      • "It lowers the burden of the security department."
      • "The initial setup was extremely complex due to our large environment."
      • "The HA solution is not good."
      • "Needs better integration between modules and also a better troubleshooting methodology."

What is our primary use case?

Orchestrating a big network environment with 2600 Layer 3 devices for different brands. The environment spans several hundreds locations across all continents.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives control and visibility to the end users. It also lowers the burden of the security department.

What is most valuable?

• Its ability to describe the business, getting firewall rules as a result.
      • Creates the possibility for security engineers to obtain visibility on the complete environment.

What needs improvement?

Needs better integration between modules and also a better troubleshooting methodology. There are still a few improvements to be done in the user interface.

The HA solution is not good.

The HA solution is not good.

They provide good support, but sometimes lack the knowledge on a specific use case. It has improved in the last six months

No previous solution was used.

The initial setup was extremely complex due to our large environment.

As a partner of the vendor, we do the implementation at the customer site.

Use the entire suite for its best benefits.

Tufin was also evaluated.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner. We are a consultant to the end user.
      it_user871845 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Information Security Professional at NTT Security

What is our primary use case?

Firewall Analyzer (AFA) to analyze configs from production firewalls of various types.

How has it helped my organization?

AFA has helped us to spot risky rules, overlapping rules and helps prioritize remediation efforts. We have a variety of firewalls and look forward to expanding services such as FireFlow.

What is most valuable?

In AFA, the ability to trend rule usage and drill into traffic seen hitting that rule is powerful for cleanup of overly permissive rules.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer service has been helpful and responsive.

Skybox Security. However, Skybox is has less actionable output than Algosec.

Setup does take some time to customize to your environment.

Senior Network Security Engineer at Prudential Corporation Asia
      Helps with application connectivity and our users are able to documents their rules
      • "ABF is application-centric. which helps to track changes in the application from day one."
      • "We needs object level permissions and application level recertifications."

What is our primary use case?

• ABF application centric
      • Risk and compliance
      • Zone matrix
      • Conditional workflow
      • IPT
      • Active change

How has it helped my organization?

It improved a lot in our flow database. In the past, application owners did not know their application connectivity. AlgoSec helps with this and our users are able to documents their rules.

What is most valuable?

ABF: It is application-centric. which helps to track changes in the application from day one.

Compliance: It helps to have a zone matrix and capture risks.

What needs improvement?

ABF needs to be more integration with AFF/AFA. We needs object level permissions and application level recertifications.

No scalability issues.

We used a different network security policy management tool, but we felt it would not be able to fulfill our requirements and address our previous gap. We were looking for a place where we could keep our rules and also track ownership of each rule in the application.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented through a vendor team, whose expertise level was high.

We are satisfied with our ROI.

We evaluated all of AlgoSec's competitors and chose AlgoSec as it was the best.

it_user827928 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Network Support
      User
      The technical services personnel are very confident and provide good assistance

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by adding additional tools for troubleshooting, not only for the firewall, but for other devices like switch and dynamic routing display. Also, it would be good if it could retrieve all information regarding Cisco Nexus switches and devices.

It would be interesting if the product could automate the switch configuration and create a dynamic map of the entire network.

Three to five years.

In the VMware platform, sometimes the application is frozen and we have to reload the machine.

Not at all.

The technical services personnel are very confident and provide good assistance.

No previous solution was used.

The initial setup process is excellent.

The in-house implementation was good for FireFlow.

it_user859881 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Director of Cybersecurity
      User
      • "I like the auto-mapping features and configuration overview. We use this for many things, but primarily for quick reactions to security events, audit, project management, and quick operational efficiencies."
      • "It improves audibility and security by having instant access to firewall configurations."
      • "It has the ability to create architectures improving performance and reducing costs."

What is our primary use case?

To down level firewall care so context owners and operations can be more agile in their day-to-day operations. It improves audibility and security by having instant access to firewall configurations. It has the ability to create architectures improving performance, reducing costs and KPIs.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec makes it quite easy to down level firewall auditing, running, and maintenance. This has given the operations team, audit, and security instant  access to firewall configurations.

What is most valuable?

The whole platform is extremely useful. I like the auto-mapping features and configuration overview. We use this for many things, but primarily for quick reactions to security events, audit, project management, and quick operational efficiencies.

What needs improvement?

A modernized GUI would be a nice feature upgrade. The GUI looks a little outdated.

There are a lot of updates for the product which have been good. However, it is a pain to always have to upgrade the product.

No scalability issues.

Our experience with the support is fair.

It is pretty easy to set up and run.

We implemented it in-house.

It has improved our performance in operations, projects, and security.

It will reduce your operations costs with improved team performance.

We evaluated FireMon.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product is very good for firewall insights.

VP Global Cyber Security Operations at NTT Security
        • "Unused rules, hidden rules, and dangerous combinations of rules are easily found and tracked by using AlgoSec."
        • "AlgoSec is able to provide a consistent view into all of an organization's firewalls, regardless if the management is done by different companies."
        • "I would like to see continued expansion to other firewall versions, platforms, and vendors."

What is our primary use case?

Since approximately 2005, I have used AlgoSec in almost all of the companies that I have worked at. AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer (AFA) continues to be my favorite product, as well as the core of other AlgoSec products. My teams use AFA to validate firewall (FW) changes, see hidden and complex rules, identify dangerous combinations of rules across many enterprise firewall situations, and enable a risk-based approach to firewall rules and associated risk management.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec is able to provide a consistent view into all of an organization's firewalls, regardless if the management is done by different companies, e.g., Check Point's, Cisco's, and Palo Alto's firewall policies are presented to the security team in a consistent format. This enables risk management decisions to be made without detailed understanding or experience in various underlying firewall technologies or management systems.

What is most valuable?

AFA is the best feature. It shows consistent information regardless of the underlying platform. Unused rules, hidden rules, and dangerous combinations of rules are easily found and tracked by using AlgoSec.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see continued expansion to other firewall versions, platforms, and vendors.
        • I would also like to see continued work on the roadmap.

STALIN PAULRAJ - PeerSpot reviewer
        Manager - Network Service Delivery (IP & Security) at Prudential Corporation Asia at Prudential Corporation Asia
        The compliance module provides full visibility of the risk required in firewall change requests
        • "AlgoSec contributes more in the security space for our company, especially in automatically ​finding the high risk and medium risk rules instead of manually reviewing over a few thousand rules."
        • "ABF is a wonderful module where you can keep the footprint for your firewall rules up-to-date, like CMDB."
        • "The Compliance module is one of the best features which can help anyone to perform security review with predefined security matrix configurations. The compliance module can save a lot of time for security reviews and provide full visibility of the risk required in firewall change requests."
        • "ABF is not very mature compare to AFA and AFF, but the module and concepts are quite good. I would suggest more concentration on ABF, especially on object and application permissions."

What is our primary use case?

ABF and compliance modules.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec contributes more in the security space for our company, especially in automatically finding the high risk and medium risk rules instead of manually reviewing over a few thousand rules.

Also, ABF is a wonderful module where you can keep the footprint for your firewall rules up-to-date, like CMDB.

What is most valuable?

ABF is a key module for us, which we are using like an application center where we can keep our firewall rules for each application up-to-date.

The compliance module is one of the best features which can help anyone to perform security review with predefined security matrix configurations. The compliance module can save a lot of time for security reviews and provide full visibility of the risk required in firewall change requests.

Less than one year.

We used a different Network Security Policy Management Solutions (NSPM) tool, but we felt that it would not be able to fulfill our requirements and address the gap which we had before.

I personally feel that the cost is quite expensive. AlgoSec is charging for each function, e.g., Active change, Application ABF license, etc.

It is worth spending the cost for visibility on security. Of course, security is not cheap.

We evaluated three marketing leaders in the NSMP industry. However, we are not interested in highlighting anyone here.

it_user829395 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Senior Software Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
        User
        Able to monitor all firewalls under one umbrella. ​Needs better technical support.
        • "Setup is easy. ​Just run the script and all seems fine."
        • "Auditors can get PDF or CSV reports without having to give them access to firewalls."
        • "To be able to monitor all firewalls under one umbrella."
        • "​Needs better technical support and quicker response times.​"
        • "Having the ability to patch an issue as oppose to upgrading the entire suite."

What is our primary use case?

To be able to monitor all firewalls under one umbrella. It makes it easy for customer to get their reports.

How has it helped my organization?

• Reports run easily to my management.
        • Searching on IP address to find out the firewalls.
        • Streamline tickets

What is most valuable?

Reports and baseline are the most important feature for auditors. Auditors can get PDF or CSV reports without having to give them access to firewalls.

What needs improvement?

Having the ability to patch an issue as oppose to upgrading the entire suite.

Once you upgrade to latest version, it is stable.

No issues.

Needs better technical support and quicker response times.

Setup is easy. Just run the script and all seems fine.

In-house with some help from Professional Services, who are knowledgeable and helpful.

Pricing is okay and the licensing can be a little tricky with the initial setup.

We evaluated other options. FireMon and Tufin were on the list but AlgoSec won out. It is better.

AlgoSec may be little pricier with its licenses, but it is probably better than any of other competitors.

it_user818688 - PeerSpot reviewer
        User at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        • "We have reduced the attack surface of risky rules, improved our compliance scores, and streamlined our firewall change flow all thanks to AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer."
        • "​R&D patches to address issues that I have encountered have been timely and effective.​"
        • "The Flash to HTML5 rewrite has been bumpy."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case started as policy optimization in a multi-vendor firewall environment. Now, our primary use case is giving access to firewall policies for development teams and infrastructure specialists. We are receiving better change requests based on actual requirements and less requests for access which already exists.

How has it helped my organization?

Over time, firewall vendors have added features, such as rule counters, that AlgoSec traditionally has offered. However, AlgoSec continues to add capabilities that firewall vendors simply cannot provide. We have reduced the attack surface of risky rules, improved our compliance scores, and streamlined our firewall change flow all thanks to AlgoSec Firewall Analyzer.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use and "one click" reports are very manager friendly. The policy browser is a fast, efficient way to find existing access, especially when granted via membership of a group or subnet. The ability to painlessly click through and navigate group objects ("what's in this object?") to filter.

What needs improvement?

The Flash to HTML5 rewrite has been bumpy. However, as a security professional, I appreciate the improvement in the product.

I am optimistic about possibly moving beyond AFA to other products.

it_user818859 - PeerSpot reviewer
        User with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We are able to quickly review 100's of firewalls and stay compliant.

What is our primary use case?

Firewall and Compliance.  We use the product to support the firewall review process and risk of over 400 firewalls

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to quickly review 100's of firewalls and stay compliant.  The product has been invaluable to our information security department

What is most valuable?

Policy review and compliance.  We are now using the AlgoSec FireFlow feature to help us automate the firewall ACL submission process and implementation of firewall rules.

What needs improvement?

Product has improved quite a bite in the years we have been using the product. We look forward to completing the AlgoSec Fireflow implementation and piloting the Business flow product.  AlgoSec continues to improve their product every year.

it_user810882 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Programme Manager
        User
        It is used for change management and to intercept dangerous changes to firewall rules.

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use AlgoSec for policy change management and to intercept dangerous changes to firewall rules.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, policy changes were applied, but not always with the correct approval. Because of this, we ended up with huge holes in the rule base.

What is most valuable?

Multi-vendor feature in a multi-vendor environment is a must. Ensures changes adhere to internal and regulatory standards.

What needs improvement?

Today, we don't dare push the new policy automatically, We don't have confidence in this feature.

Yes, Tufin.

User
        We can easily make our firewall flow change requests using the web interface

How has it helped my organization?

• Centrally manage firewall flow requests
        • Approval/implementation and validation
        • We can easily make our firewall flow change requests using the web interface.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the product could be more simplified when defining the rules.

Documentation could be added to the tools, then generate documentation and send it to the relevant people.

it_user813291 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Networks and Security Engineer
        User
        Users utilize this tool to make their change requests

What is our primary use case?

• Workflow: Users utilize this tool to make their change requests, then once it is approved by a security team assessment, the network team will implement the changes.
        • Troubleshooting: Tracks the flow and sees where it is blocked.

What needs improvement?

Automate the change documentation in MS Word format. Therefore, we can customize it, if needed.

More than five years.
        Expert Tehnique securité réseau at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
        When we add firewall change requests, it decreases the time for design and implementation significantly
        • "It permits us to save a lot of time and make some firewall policy clean up. Then, when we add firewall change requests to management through this tool, it decreases the time for design and implementation significantly."
        • "The Firewall Analyser feature is the most important and valuable part of this tool. This provides quick and simple visibility on the firewall's risk assessment."
        • "Default standard support at Level 1 is to answer by upgrading to the latest released version, if you are not using it yet."
        • "Improve the dashboarding capability for FireFlow which is currently very limited in terms of presentation and customisation."

What is our primary use case?

This solution was implemented to provide risk analyse, audit on rules, and changes, as well as giving visibility to the application or project manager on firewall rules that are linked to their servers for a massive datacenter migration.

How has it helped my organization?

For a massive migration, it permits project/application owners to estimate and anticipate changes which are needed autonomously and only involve the security administrator for implementation of the rules. This permits us to save a lot of time and make some firewall policy clean up. Then, when we add firewall change requests to management through this tool, it decreases the time for design and implementation significantly.

What is most valuable?

The Firewall Analyser feature is the most important and valuable part of this tool. This provides quick and simple visibility on the firewall's risk assessment in regards to compliance's referential that can be also customised to fit our organisation's requirements.

More than five years.

Not really. Sometime after the version upgrade, a few bugs appeared.

Not yet.

At the beginning, support was good.

Now as support is composed of several levels, default standard support at Level 1 is to answer by upgrading to the latest released version, if you are not using it yet.

We did not have such a tool before installing AlgoSec for a firewall policy audit with reports. We had a homemade tool for change management.

Find a good integrator.

We went through a vendor team. His expertise was medium.

We evaluated differents solution when launching the project, like Tufin. This one was the most mature.

it_user808449 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Extranet Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It has streamlined our process for access and firewall management
        • "AFA provides project teams with a simplified way to obtain the status on their current rule set."
        • "It has streamlined our process for access and firewall management."
        • "Needs integration to cloud ITSM tools, such ServiceNow."
        • "Be able to automatically analyze application traffic with machine learning capabilities and propose simplification for rule set optimization."

What is our primary use case?

We use AlgoSec FireFlow and AFA modules for risk analysis, audit, and change management to enforce appropriate security compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

It has streamlined our processes for access and firewall management. It is used by all the IT user community internally and by our service provider who is in charge of our IT run activities.

What is most valuable?

AFA and FireFlow modules are the one that we use.

• AFA provides project teams with a simplified way to obtain the status on their current rule set.
        • Fireflow is used for our change management process and is linked to our CP FW.

What needs improvement?

Integration to cloud ITSM tools, such ServiceNow.

it_user284391 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Senior Network Security Specialist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
        MSP
        We now have baseline and rules checking.

What is most valuable?

• Templates
        • For baselines PCI-DSS

How has it helped my organization?

We now have baseline and rules checking.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it was more variable when checking virtual domain baseline in the same way as Fortigate's firewalls do.

I've used it for one and a half years.

We had issues with the clusters.

It's slow to synchronize a database that is not synchronized.

No issues encountered.

It's good.

It's good.

No previous solution was used.

There were some issues when setting up the cluster and getting it to synchronize properly.

I did it myself.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be able to script and have skills using Linux.

Network Technical Security at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Traffic simulation queries identify all firewalls involved in the path between a source and a destination on a given service.

What is most valuable?

• Traffic simulation queries allow an engineer to simply find all firewalls involved in the path between a source and a destination on a given service. AlgoSec allows an engineer to issue their own traffic simulation query to be tested against a single device's policy, or against a group of devices. When running a traffic simulation query on a group, AFA finds the devices in the path of the traffic and queries all these devices. Querying the policy or a group of policies produces an AFA report that shows whether traffic of the given service is allowed between the source and destination. If traffic is blocked by the device, you can then find out which rules block it.
        • The change history feature provides detailed information about changes to the device, over the entire history of AFA reports for the device. The information is divided into policy changes and risk profile changes.
        • The optimize policy feature allows an engineer to find out which rules are redundant, unused or already covered by other, more general rules. We can find:
          • Unused rules
          • Covered rules
          • Redundant special case rules
          • Consolidate rules
          • VPN cleanup
          • VPN analysis report
          • Unused rules
          • Unused objects within rules

How has it helped my organization?

We can optimize and produce reports for 744 firewalls from different vendors (Check Point, Juniper, FortiGate, and Cisco) with one application.

What needs improvement?

We have requested improvement to VRF functionality on Cisco IOS and Nexus L3 devices and to support Juniper routers.

We have discovered that AlgoSec doesn’t work with loopback interfaces. We use OSPF and BGP, which run over multiple Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF-Lite) instances and, in some cases, distributors are connected to the core via loopbacks routed by an OSPF instance and a BGP address family. AlgoSec doesn’t recognize those loopbacks as a route, so it doesn’t find a route to the destination. This behaviour makes the “traffic simulation query” feature unusable in our environment.

3 years

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues at all.

The level of technical support is good.

I did not previously use a different solution; we have been using this solution since 2012.

I don’t know if they evaluated other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

This product only supports L3 devices such as Cisco IOS and Cisco Nexus, so if your primary network is based on a different technology, AFA wouldn’t be the best choice.

it_user494916 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Network Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
        The FireFlow feature stops users from overriding policies.

What is most valuable?

FireFlow, because you cannot override policies.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to add more vendors to support.

What needs improvement?

Validation: Many times I have to generate a report to validate tickets. When I try to verify an AlgoSec ticket that has been implemented, I have an option to validate the work I did. Many times, it has not worked immediately. I have to generate a report based on which I can check my work.

After implementation new rules on firewall algosec is not immediately aware about it. I have to make synchronization between algosec and firewall. In algosec is called analyze firewall. It is possible schedule this analyze more often but it consuming a lot of device resources like CPU, memory etc so I have this analyses one per day. After this analyze I am able make validation of implementation which I did because algosec can see rule which I added.

I have been using it for five years.

Technical support is quite OK.

AlgoSec provides different types and levels of support. I recommend asking about 24/7 support and being careful when deciding which support to buy.

Initial setup was straightforward because we got support from vendor.

If you are implementing it for the first time, it is good to ask vendor for help.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product to use.

Cyber Security/ Network Intelligence Professional at EliteVAD
        ALGOSEC - Automate Firewall Security Policy Orchestration

What is most valuable?

• Granular visibility
        • Risk rules evaluation
        • Saves with manual processes and dependencies

How has it helped my organization?

• Saves person-hours
        • Security tightening and optimization in minutes
        • Loophole identification which helps with compliance
        • Effective tracking and automation of change management

What needs improvement?

Automated policy push for the Fortinet product family. The Active Change/Automated Policy push feature is already there for all other leading devices such as Cisco, Check Point, Juniper, and Palo Alto, etc.

I've used it for two years.

It's not hard to deploy, and can be run on a virtual environment.

It is a robust easy to use platform.

It has highly scalable architecture.

The customer service team is reliable.

They have time-zone matched technical/SLA support and local response team available.

It is pretty straightforward and a piece of cake for the network engineers.

Initial implementation is highly recommended to be done through a vendor and/or subject matter expert so you can leverage the best of the features.

AlgoSec is a best of class solution with unique value proposition. Licensing has flexibility perpetual and subscription models, and by identifying your own real needs can achieve savings.

As a fair evaluation, other solutions are available in the security policy cleanup area. However, AlgoSec stands apart with a visionary business centric approach – not limiting itself to a mere firewall security cleanup tool. With AlgoSec, we also get an automated security change management/compliance solution. It has the unique and powerful application connectivity auto-discovery and then translates these to firewall rules. This is useful to achieve automation during datacenter migration, etc.

What other advice do I have?

AlgoSec is a business-driven security management solution, a comprehensive and visionary solution which covers what needs to be covered in firewall security visibility, security change management, and application-security connectivity. AlgoSec as a platform fills the gaps between the otherwise disconnected teams - Security, Network and Applications - within an organization.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are value added distributors of the solution and are confident that we have the best choice in helping customers manage security at the speed of business.
        Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        By leveraging BusinessFlow/FireFlow/ActiveChange we have been able to reduce the time from initial requirements gathering to implementation of complex firewall designs.

What is most valuable?

We were immediately able to leverage the workflow tools in FireFlow with ActiveChange to speed up our deployment of firewall policies.

How has it helped my organization?

By leveraging BusinessFlow/FireFlow/ActiveChange we have been able to reduce the time from initial requirements gathering to implementation of complex firewall designs by approximately 80% without compromising our security posture.

What needs improvement?

Additional understanding of complex routing in multiple systems.

We have had this working in our production environment for about 6 months.

The initial deployment was unsuccessful as the product had not initially support our use of virtual routing instances on Juniper SRX devices however AlgoSec engineering was quick to deploy fixes to allow us to reach our desired outcome.

Top notch.

it_user540387 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Information Security Consultant at a tech company with 51-200 employees
        It detects dangerous rules that affect security. I would like an architecture diagram that combines intelligence from all integrated firewalls.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the risky rules analysis and network diagram representation generated from the firewall perspective.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to detect all unauthorized changes made on my firewalls. Also, this product can identify if anyone is creating dangerous rules that can severely affect the security of my organization.

What needs improvement?

One scope of improvement is to create an architecture diagram that combines intelligence from all integrated firewalls.

I have used this product for three years.

During the early implementation phase, some stability issues were experienced. However, that is somewhat stable now.

We have not encountered any scalability issues yet.

I manage the reviews aspect, not maintenance.

We were not part of the implementation team.

We evaluated the FireMon solution prior to this product.

What other advice do I have?

Prior planning is required for licensing and appliance handling if the company is looking to introduce new firewalls/security devices. This tool even integrates Cisco products to track changes on core switch or primary routers/VPNs.

Security Consultant at Securelink
        We took advantage of the the system's ability to add intelligence in all stages of a change.

Good and bad experience - A case study of the use of AlgoSec FireFlow.

The Good:

·         Cut turnaround time on firewall rule changes from weeks to days.

·         Improved network visibility via policy discovery, map and traffic simulations.

·         Increased accuracy of firewall changes with improved network security.

·         Highly improved traceability and accountability in the firewall change process.

·         It is easy to customise AlgoSec FireFlow to a quality system.

The Bad:

·         Lots of time was used to build and maintain the topology database (the network map). This is the foundation for the magic to happen.  If the topology is wrong, the path discovery and automatic selection of Firewalls in path / in scope for the change can be incorrect.

·         A decommissioning feature is missing in FireFlow, separate unused rules can be found and decommissioned via the AlgoSec Analyzer, but the FireFlow product does not have a feature for decommissioning of a complete FireFlow ticket.

·         The system has a so called roll-back feature, but this is implemented very simply just by a restore of the complete configuration. In practice, this feature is not useful. If a FireFlow ticket is implemented, and it is discovered that some of the data in the ticket was  wrong, it is not possible to roll-back the mistakenly implemented firewall rules. The cleanup is a manual task that can be time consuming.

Challenges in this case story:

To reach the goal and have the above highlighted business impact, several challenges were faced during the first year of deployment.

One of the best lessons is that the AlgoSec FireFlow system is only accurate if the network topology is complete and accurate. We would have to spend a lot of time tweaking the network topology to make it accurate.

Another challenge was software bugs. AlgoSec technical assistance center was keen to help fix the software defects, but still it was time consuming at times when software defects were disturbing normal operation.

Results

Firewalls need constantly maintained rule changes and security assessment in order to adapt to the ever changing business and threats. We see our decommissioned business applications, new factories or sites that are build, etc.

This altogether brings a heavy workload on the security department.

Now the firewall maintenance tasks scale with existing staff.

Firewall rule changes take days and not weeks.

The most significant benefits we achieved were:

·         All firewall rules match exactly the planned action

·         All stages of a change are now accountable in the history/audit trail of the change

·         No time spent on already working change requests

·         Full visibility into the network path of traffic

The intelligence provided by the AlgoSec system, and easy accessible security controls are significant, reducing the time spent in the periodic security assessments carried out.

in the AlgoSec product:

Over the last couple of years we have had several missing features in the product that prevented us from reaching the full extent of automation from a start. However, most of the missing capabilities are today in the product.

Remaining is a better support for decommissioning of firewall rules and applications. This is high on our wish list.

Challenge

As responsible for the network infrastructure and security on more than 95 firewalls. The network infrastructure and security must follow the same strict regulated quality guidelines as the main business area itself.

The most central aspects of strict regulated quality are:

Traceability: the ability to reconstruct the development history of the products.

Accountability: the ability to resolve who has contributed what to the development and when.

Firewall change management in this environment is time consuming and cumbersome.

Each firewall change took several weeks with high cost. Many firewall rules were build unnecessarily wide due to complexity in network.

Many changes were performed for already working traffic. Human errors in creation of firewall rules put the total security at risk. The validation process was cumbersome and error prone.

Solution

We succeeded in automating the flow in the change process with full traceability and accountability. AlgoSec FireFlow was integrated with the surrounding quality system using the great customisation capabilities, and is now used as the main change management system for all infrastructure changes to Switch, Router and Firewalls in the production network.

We took advantage of the AlgoSec system's ability to add intelligence in all stages of a change.

This raised the accuracy of firewall changes.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I have been working as a contractor for the Customer for 2 Years building and using the AlgoSec FireFlow My company originally sold the solution to the Customer, however my role has been operation and maintenance at Customer site each day for the last 2 Years
        it_user541044 - PeerSpot reviewer
        User at a tech company with 51-200 employees
        Reduces time and costs of firewall change management, risk mitigation, and compliance audits.

What is most valuable?

• Intelligent policy tuning helps to reduce risk and improve device performance
        • Traffic simulation query on a specific device

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec reduces time and costs of firewall change management, risk mitigation, and compliance audits.

What needs improvement?

AlgoSec should support these features:

• Expired time should be one of the components of firewall rules, not only source, destination
          For example: Now, in Algosec Fireflow, when creating a change request, there are only 3 component: Source, Destination and Service. I want to have expired date of the traffic
        • Detect duplicate objects in different firewalls
          Now, Algosec can only detect duplicate object within one firewall. I want to detect in different firewalls
          For example: firewall 1 has objet A with IP address 1.1.1.1, firewall 2 has object B with also IP address 1.1.1.1. I want Alogsec to detect this duplication
        • Show IP address of object in a report, query result
          Now, in report, query results, Algosec only displays name of the objects. I want to display IP address of these objects

3 years.

No, we haven't encountered any issues.

No, AlgoSec is stable.

No, AlgoSec fit our size and is scalable.

Very good.

Good.

The initial setup was simple.

Via a partner, they're very good.

We haven't calculated ROI yet, but AlgoSec saves us labor and a lot of time.

Tufin, we selected AlgoSec because it provide some useful features that other solution didn't have.

What other advice do I have?

AlgoSec is very helpful for our organization.

it_user541047 - PeerSpot reviewer
        User at a tech company with 51-200 employees
        We like the ​rule optimization and risk analysis. It should support IPS devices.

What is most valuable?

• Rule optimization
        • Risk analysis

How has it helped my organization?

Saves time and labor cost in optimizing and operating our firewall system.

What needs improvement?

Find duplicate objects in different firewalls.

3 years

Mainly with log collection.

No issues.

Simple to setup.

Via a vendor team. They are good.

I don't have the details, but it is effective.

What other advice do I have?

It should support IPS devices.

it_user540339 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Security Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It has improved the way we handle risky rules on firewalls.

What is most valuable?

Policy management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way we handle risky rules on firewalls.

Security Firewall Policy; Firewall Performance; Firewall Hardening.

What needs improvement?

The Tighten Permissive Rules Function could be better, we need more specific information about source, destination and service on the rule we will handle.

About 1 year.

Nope.

They have replied fast to all my concerns.

Excellent.

I used to use Firemon before but switched to AlgoSec because the AlgoSec product and User Interface are more friendly than Firemon.

The AlgoSec vendor in Vietnam is Misoft, I rate them excellent in experience and support.

it_user494103 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Information Security Analyst, Team Lead Network Security Assesment at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It has helped us manage PCIDSS compliance.

Valuable Features

• Risk management for the rules
        • Policy optimization suggestions

AlgoSec allows me to understand the inside of the firewall and brings simplicity to very complex firewall setups.

Improvements to My Organization

It has helped us manage PCIDSS compliance and also improved the overall network security.

Room for Improvement

The product has several compliance checks built in for PCIDSS, ISO, SOX, etc., and also a baseline security policy. It would be nice to allow customers to build their own policy, based on the customer’s own customization and business needs.

Use of Solution

I have used it for four years.

The application is easy to deploy in an hour and can be done via a user guide.

Support needs are rare. I only require support around twice a year. Upgrades are easily done by the user but when support is required, it is great.

Initial setup is easy because it is a virtual appliance with its own OS.

Implementation Team

I have expertise in implementation and prefer to do it myself rather than invoke the support contract. I believe it helps me stay knowledgeable and besides, AlgoSec implementation is a breeze.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The license is perpetual but support is periodic.

Other Solutions Considered

I tried the ManageEngine firewall analyzer. AlgoSec has a superior firewall policy optimization algorithm.

Other Advice

It’s a good buy for simplifying large networks.

it_user3396 - PeerSpot reviewer
        it_user3396Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
        Top 5Real User

Cool review

it_user456096 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Implementation of new rules without the need for manual configuration of rules on all firewalls in the traffic path has been good for us.

Valuable Features:

Firewall analyzer and traffic simulation based on configuration analyzer of all rules on the firewall. Implementation of new rules without the need for manual configuration of rules on all firewalls in the traffic path.

Improvements to My Organization:

It helped to improve our automation and simplified the configuration of new access rules.

Room for Improvement:

In our experience, AlgoSec need to improve the integration of firewall vendors, because at the moment they don't support all vendors that are out there.

Algosec Firewall Analyzer has a feature called 'Implement on device' which automatically creates access rules based on your request and sends it to the appropriate device. At the moment, this feature can not be implemented on Fortigate firewalls or Juniper EX switches which act as a layer three device with ACL's etc. I mean they need to improve interoperability with more vendors in order to automate access rules modification on these unsupported yet equipment.

Use of Solution:

I've used this solution for approximately five months.

Deployment Issues:

According to my colleagues who implemented it, there were some problems during the implementation. They contacted their support team who provided us with good support and we were able to get it implemented.

Stability Issues:

We had no issues with the performance.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Initial Setup:

I wasn't involved in the original implementation.

Other Advice:

It's an amazing product for those admins who have huge variety of firewall vendors and would like to be able to automate the implementation of new firewall rules for access across the network.

it_user495018 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Sr. IT Security Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
        We use it to clean up unused objects. The risk team uses it to validate existing traffic flow.

Valuable Features

• Firewall rule monitoring
        • Consolidated report on unused objects and rules

Improvements to My Organization

We use this tool for rule monitoring and cleaning up the unused objects to improve performance. The risk team uses this tool to validate the existing traffic flow for their approval.

Room for Improvement

It is currently unable to export the report to a CSV file, and I look forward to seeing it in the next version/release.

Use of Solution

I have used it for more than four years.

Deployment was very easy; the vendor-provided documentation was good.

Technical support is 8/10.

Implementation Team

I was able to implement it on my own.

Other Advice

It's a very useful product and I highly recommend everyone having this product in place on their security infrastructure.

it_user497694 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Network Security Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It provides policy optimization reports, is easy to install on your own, and runs smoothly.

Valuable Features

The reports for the policy optimization are the product’s most valuable feature.

Improvements to My Organization

It provides better performance on our firewalls.

Room for Improvement

• Filtering in the reports
        • Adjusting parameters for reports
        • To be able to generate custom-made reports

For example, it would be nice if you could define a report to show the unused objects for a specific timeframe. Now, it’s for the whole log period. Or, another example would be: deny rules that have been adjusted in the last 90 days.

Use of Solution

I have used it for about two years.

I have not encounter any deployment, stability or scalability issues. It runs very smoothly.

Technical support is very good, providing fast responses and good knowledge of their product.

Initial setup is very straightforward and it is easy to implement.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house, as it’s easy to install on your own.

Other Advice

Just try it and you’ll see where the problems are in your firewall. You can easily request trial licenses.

it_user326337 - PeerSpot reviewer
        it_user326337Customer Success Manager at IT Central Station

If the product allowed you to generate those reports, how do you expect it would improve your workflow?

it_user494187 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Security and Network Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        For FireFlow, workflow customization and active change are the best features. Interaction with a lot of vendors results in a lot of options and bugs.