IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway is #9 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools. PeerSpot users give Zyxel Unified Security Gateway an average rating of 4 out of 10. Zyxel Unified Security Gateway is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Zyxel Unified Security Gateway vs Fortinet FortiGate. Zyxel Unified Security Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 43% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 42% of all views.

Download the Unified Threat Management (UTM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Zyxel Unified Security Gateway?

ZyWALL USG Series delivers high-access quality to help businesses satisfy the demand for always-online communications. For internal deployments, the ZyWALL USG Series provides active-passive High-Availability (HA) service to support device or connection failover.

With Device HA Pro service, the ZyWALL USG Series also supports instant failover, so connections are always maintained when a failover event occurs. For external deployments, the ZyWALL USG Series features multi- WAN load balancing/failover and a comprehensive mobile broadband USB modem support list for WAN backup operations. The ZyWALL USG Series also supports IPSec load balancing and failover, providing additional resilience for mission-critical VPN failover with VTI Interface deployments.

ZyWALL USG110/210/310 thoroughly protects networks with industry-leading firewall, Anti-Malware/ Virus, Anti-Spam, Content Filtering, IDP, and Application Patrol functionality. Regulate unauthorized use of Web applications over your network, such as Facebook, Google apps, and Netflix, among others. Zyxel security measures are enhanced with SSL Inspection, blocking threats hidden in SSL-encrypted connections while facilitating deeper policy enforcement. Furthermore, newly improved Content Filtering 2.0 enhances HTTPS Domain Filter, Browser SafeSearch, and Geo IP Blocking for an array of security enhancements to ensure clean Web connections.

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway Video

Zyxel Unified Security Gateway Reviews

System Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Low cost but unresponsive technical support and very unstable performance
  • "The solution can scale well."
  • "Sometimes it reboots when you least expect it, and that's the main issue."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall and a router. We use it for freelancing.

What is most valuable?

The solution is good for freelance and routing, as we don't have a separate router. It's usable for me, for my purposes.  There are some filtering options such as peer-to-peer blocking and things like that. The solution can scale well. The cost is very low.

What needs improvement?

I have never seen it in any company that I've worked with before, and I would advise other companies not to buy it. The device is really awful It doesn't work well. It is unreliable. They tried to put something professional on a market, however, it's anything but. Technical support is unhelpful and does not resolve issues quickly (or at all).  From the WiFi access points, the performance is really bad from Zyxel. We have about 26 WiFi access points and still, it does not work as expected. I need a next-gen firewall next time. I want to be able to do something about malware, et cetera, and that's not the case at this moment. It's a traditional firewall. It doesn't do that. Sometimes it reboots when you least expect it, and that's the main issue.  When you go on the internet, and you read about it, you'll find more people with the same problems you are having, and they do not get resolved by the company.

The stability is unreliable and the performance is bad. I would not say that the solution works very well in general.
Unified Threat Management (UTM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Zyxel, WatchGuard, Sophos and others in Unified Threat Management (UTM). Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability is good. We bought extra licenses for more access points that are quite easily put in for some extra storage for logging. That was not that difficult to do. It's easy to expand.

The support was really bad. I've had support from them and it took me over three months to get one thing resolved. In fact, it was not resolved in the end. The experience was really bad. You try to call them, you try to reach out and send them emails, and they don't respond.

The initial setup has a moderate level of difficulty. You need to have so much knowledge, however, that's true with every firewall.

We have a yearly licensing agreement with the company. The licenses are okay. The costs are pretty low.

What other advice do I have?

We are a software company. We build software. We do not sell the product. We are using the latest, most up-to-date version of the solution.  I would steer other potential users away from this product. I will never advise this product to anyone. I have never seen it also in a company. I'd rather suggest a company choose another brand.  I'd rate the solution at a three out of ten. I really have not had a good experience with the product.

Download our free Unified Threat Management (UTM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Zyxel, WatchGuard, Sophos, and more!
Updated: June 2022