Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

VMware Service Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Service Manager is #7 ranked solution in top License Management tools and #17 ranked solution in top IT Asset Management tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Service Manager an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. VMware Service Manager is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: VMware Service Manager vs ServiceNow. VMware Service Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the IT Asset Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is VMware Service Manager?
VMware Service Manager automates IT Service Management by providing a powerful workflow engine to drive IT Service processes.
VMware Service Manager Customers
Seventy Seven Energy Inc., Symantec, KBC, Vodafone, Region Hovedstaden, Bank Audi, Hewlett-Packard, BT Global Services, Edogawa City Council, HDFC Bank Limited, Bank Al Bilad, ABN AMRO N.V. Singapore, Savvis, Abu Dhabi Ports Company, SAP AG, Fundaments, T-Systems
VMware Service Manager Video

Archived VMware Service Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Mizanur-Rahman - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at One Bank Limited
We don't have any issues if the node fails
  • "We have installed a physical server for failover. We need to configure cluster on everything. But with VMware, we do not need to cluster. We get automatically seven physical nodes failover. If one fails we have no issues."
  • "Not a ten because the price is high."

What is our primary use case?

We have seven physical nodes on vCenter. Now, we have about 100 plus activations running on VMware.

What is most valuable?

We have installed a physical server for failover. We need to configure cluster on everything. But with VMware, we do not need to cluster. We get automatically seven physical nodes failover. If one fails we have no issues. We will then have six nodes. We can handle all these applications or resources.

What needs improvement?

I've been working with VMware for about four or five years so if we need help, we have a service agreement with them. We can get help from VMware at any time if we need any improvement or help with a configuration.

I have been using this solution for three years.

IT Asset Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, ServiceNow, BMC and others in IT Asset Management. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

We have around 3,000 users benefiting from VMware.

Their support is good. If we ever have issues, we can easily get support.

We are using a middle server from VMware so we introduced maturation into our container. We would like to implement Nutanix or a hyper-converged solution. We only use VMware as a partial server, not hyper-converged. We are implementing Nutanix.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Not a ten because the price is high.

We use VMware for 50 licenses from HP. We get support from HP, not from VMware. If we take any issues to VMware their support is not up to mark. We get some support from HP through VMware so it will take time for their support to increase.

it_user853359 - PeerSpot reviewer
Global manager at Faurecia
User
It needs to improve user roles and access rights. It provides us with improved maintenance cycles.

What is our primary use case?

Manufacturing execution systems (MES) for production sites (production declaration, shipment, logistics systems, and data transfer) on Windows server.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us the following:

• A better utilisation of the hardware
  • More flexibility
  • Improved maintenance cycles
  • A system overview.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
  • Graphical user interface (GUI)
  • Multi-language features
  • Stability over a long periods of time
  • Communication with an editor

What needs improvement?

• Improvements of user roles and access rights
  • Time zone handling
  • Online help

Three to five years.
IT Asset Management
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We've found the Service Desk and Workflow modules to be the most valuable features, but customer-specific tools customization needs improvement.

Valuable Features:

The Service Desk module and the Workflow module, which is extremely powerful.

Room for Improvement:

• Graphical User Interface looks a little bit old-school
  • Way of customizing the tool according to the customers needs

Use of Solution:

I have four years of practical experience in implementing the tool and providing training to several customers.

Deployment Issues:

No, if you follow the prerequisites correctly.

Stability Issues:

No issues encountered.

Initial Setup:

No, if you follow the prerequisites correctly.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The product is not developed anymore in this current version because VMware stopped the development of it. Support is still provide by VMware until 2017. A British company called Alemba will take over the development and support, but the look and feel will be completely different.

it_user3264 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
Overall a good solution for cloud environments

Valuable Features:

Simplicity and Flexibility, these are its major plus points making it one leading industry solution for deploying cloud environments.

Room for Improvement:

Still new in the market and alot of its features are still not yet explored. Because of that not much professionals are working with it.
Download our free IT Asset Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, ServiceNow, BMC, and more!
Updated: September 2022