IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

vCenter Configuration Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCenter Configuration Manager is #5 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give vCenter Configuration Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. vCenter Configuration Manager is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: vCenter Configuration Manager vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is vCenter Configuration Manager?
Automate configuration management across virtual and physical servers, workstations, and desktops.

vCenter Configuration Manager was previously known as vCM.

Download the Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

vCenter Configuration Manager Customers
Bank Al Bilad, Thomas-Krenn.AG, Pronto!, Unimed Juiz de Fora
vCenter Configuration Manager Video

vCenter Configuration Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCenter Configuration Manager pricing:
  • "Their licensing costs are high. But I think for the scale that we are using, it's suitable. If you use it on a larger scale with many servers, you have to pay a lot of money for them. I think it's suitable for organizations that don't need expert people that want more money each year or each month because it's a straightforward solution. We prefer to pay for these products that are integrated and straightforward."
  • "It is on a yearly basis."
  • vCenter Configuration Manager Reviews

Francisco Gimo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Management Information System Officer at Kenmare Resources Mauritius
    Great for automating and very stable, but complex to implement
    • "The solution is excellent at automating processes."
    • "There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution."

What is our primary use case?

I provide services to our customers. We largely use it for automation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's allowed us to automate most of the processes that we have in place. All the controls can now update positioning solutions. All of that is done through this software. For the company it's quite valuable, in that it saves resources, however, it also allows the IT team to be concentrated on different tasks. The company is growing and the need to focus on adding more systems etc. is very important. There are a lot of new systems being implemented. By taking manual tasks and automating them, it provides a great value for the customer.

What is most valuable?

The solution is excellent at automating processes.

Overall, it's a great tool.

What needs improvement?

There are some complexities within the system center. For example, we use two different applications for updates and the deployment of the machine. We also have another third party solution.

However, a third-party solution is dedicated to vulnerability management. And all the updates that have to be deployed to a specific product. You spend a lot of time in configuration due to the fact that you need to make sure all of your machines are compliant. Compliance is complicated.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't run into any issues with the solution. There aren't sudden crashes. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. If a company needs to expand the solution's services, they can do so easily. From a technical perspective, it's possible.

I've personally contacted technical support in the past.

They were able to assist us with no problem. A few times we managed to sort out the issue ourselves. Still, mainly they do support us. We're quite happy with their services.

One of the things that puts us at an advantage is the fact that we are not yet running the latest versions. The older versions have less issues that need to be ironed out and patched. Therefore, we're working with versions that have already been pretty much perfected. It means there's less reason to contact technical support.

There's a bit of complexity in the initial setup. There are compliance issues you'll need to sort through. Configuration can take a while because of this.

There may be better ways to do things with System Center that we're not aware of. We always try to look at audits before we try a deployment. How long it takes tends to be decided by what a user wants the solution to do and how the company is set up.

If you want to do something relatively simple like automate updates, however, the deployment is quite straightforward. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Also, if you sorted out configurations and taken the time to fix items and iron out details, the solution will deploy fairly easily and deliver its services well.

For example, a deployment that, if done with some center, may require a workaround to sort out any problem beforehand, but once that's done, everything starts working perfectly.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would recommend System Center. We are going through a technological era where everything is done using technology, and security measures are important. With this solution, security is already in place.

With this solution, a lot of the items are automated, including a lot of administrative work. You can minimize so many things, including security vulnerabilities, simply by using the solution. It's great.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. They lose a few marks due to their general complexity, which takes a lot of time. Users need to take into consideration bandwidth and network usage when they set things up. While the solution does try to minimize resources, it takes a lot of time to get things where you need them to be. It's not straightforward. You'll need to go through many processes before you get there.

Manager at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    An end-to-end configuration management solution with good user experience
    • "vCenter has some good user experience, and the initial setup is straightforward."
    • "It would be better to integrate this infrastructure with native cloud environments, but we can't do it. We are trying to improve our experience by converting our infrastructure through virtualization on native cloud environments and workloads."

What is our primary use case?

We have some customers in our company, and we deliver the virtual infrastructure throughout the vCenter portal. We get them some resource pools, and they manage the resource pools. In some cases, if you want to have, for example, a resource manager portal, you can use the Cloud Director. But in most cases, we use the vCenter as a resource pool manager. We also use Vcops for operations management, insight manager, and VMware vRealize Log Insight.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be better to integrate this infrastructure with native cloud environments, but we can't do it. We are trying to improve our experience by converting our infrastructure through virtualization on native cloud environments and workloads. It's the most important thing for us. I think that it should be tightly coupled with native cloud environments.

I have been using vCenter Configuration Manager for nearly eight years.

We are not using these products on a very large scale. For example, we use it for 100 servers and not for 1,000 servers. We are using them in a few clusters based on their CPU types. On this scale, we are satisfied with the products. But we don't know if we want to ramp up to larger scales. We don't know if that is suitable or not.

The initial setup was straightforward. It didn't take a long time to deploy this solution.

We used the engineers and assistants. We are training them, and they are doing some VMware courses with some consultants that are experts in these environments. We have an expert consultant that trains the people that work in our environments.

Their licensing costs are high. But I think for the scale that we are using, it's suitable. If you use it on a larger scale with many servers, you have to pay a lot of money for them. I think it's suitable for organizations that don't need expert people that want more money each year or each month because it's a straightforward solution. We prefer to pay for these products that are integrated and straightforward.

We tested OpenStack, but I think it's for more complex environments, and we should pay more money to experts who can maintain this infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give vCenter Configuration Manager an eight.

Configuration Management
    April 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, HCL and others in Configuration Management. Updated: April 2022.
    596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior IT Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Many features come into play to make this a strong management tool
    • "It has many valuable features that serve many purposes."
    • "The ease of setup and installations could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary purpose of the product is to maintain system performance and optimize it.

What is most valuable?

I find all of the features of the solution valuable. All of them are valuable although I use some more frequently. I like Snapchat, RDS (Remote Desktop Services), cloning, migration, DDS (Data Distribution Service), and server switch probably as the features I use the most. All of these features serve different purposes and are very useful.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, I do not feel like I am an expert with the product who can suggest technical enhancements. The setup and implementation could probably be better. It does not seem like we should have to do so much manual configuration. Instad of supplying everything manually at the prompts, it should offer some options for automation of the setup. I guess something like that is already available, but if it is I do not know it. If automating the updates were possible to do it would be very nice.

I have been using the product for about 10 years, but I have been working on managing it for the past two to three years.

I have not had to deal directly with the technical support because I am an architect so I am doing high-level design. The technical stuff or the day-to-day operations are done by another team. They are responsible for opening tickets and calls with level one and level two support.

The efficiency of the initial setup is good. Some automation is already available but it could be better. If you have the OVA (Open Virtual Appliance) or if you can somehow install it using the silent mode it would improve the functionality. For example, you create your definition and from that, you can get the parameters automatically without manually entering every field. So you use a pre-defined setup and instead of working manually you just do one click and the changes are pushed out.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager as maybe an eight to nine-out-of-ten. To make it even better and to score a ten-of-ten, the ease-of-use and the flexibility of configuration could be improved. If it was easier to use and easier to implement and to set up, it will be closer to a ten.

Abdul Amaan - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager IT/system engineer at VT Solutions
    Work is simplified with patch management and template features; configurations could be reduced
    • "Beneficial patch management and template features."
    • "Not very user friendly, too many configurations."

What is our primary use case?

We use Configuration Manager at one or two companies where we provide services. I live in Fiji and people don't really go into the detail of compliance and automated configuration. Most things are generally done manually so with the implementation of Configuration Manager it becomes automated. There are some reporting and management tasks involved. We're partners with vCenter and I'm the IT general manager.

What is most valuable?

As an engineer, I'd say the most valuable features would be the patch management and templates. Both of these features make my job easier.

What needs improvement?

This is a good solution but it has too many configurations for what it does. In that sense, it's not particularly user friendly and requires too many clicks. From reviews I've read, I believe Acropolis might be easier to use in this regard.

I think the solution pretty much covers everything, I can't think of any additional features that might be useful.

I've been using this solution for the past two years.

The technical support is generally quite good although it depends who you're talking to. Most of the time issues are solved expediently although sometimes it takes a little longer than you'd probably want, but eventually it gets fixed. It's good but it could be better.

The initial setup can be a little complex. It's clear what needs to be done but because of compliance it becomes more complicated. It requires configuring thresholds and standard marks plus automated configurations. It's a matter of implementing some provisioning which can be tedious. I haven't worked with it too much, but it seems quite cumbersome.

Deployment time probably took a little longer in our case because it was implementing  compliance, patch management and software package distribution, so it probably took a couple of days. We used our own team for configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend people use this solution. It can make your life a lot easier and it has a lot of features which could help a system administrator prevent problems and foresee potential issues.

I would rate this solution quite highly but it loses a couple of points because of the complexity so I'll give it a seven out of 10.

Information Technology Consultant at HighLine
    Cloning via live migration is a useful feature
    • "Configuration Manager simplifies management. Cloning via live migration is a useful feature."
    • "Configuration Manager's reporting could be better. I need to use a third-party reporting solution to get the details. They could add reporting features similar to RVTools."

What is our primary use case?

We use Configuration Manager for our production servers. We only have two users, and they're both admins.

How has it helped my organization?

Configuration Manager has allowed us to reduce the number of admins needed from three to one.

What is most valuable?

Configuration Manager simplifies management. Cloning via live migration is a useful feature.

What needs improvement?

Configuration Manager's reporting could be better. I need to use a third-party reporting solution to get the details. They could add reporting features similar to RVTools.

We've used vCenter Configuration Manager for one year.

Configuration Manger is highly dependable.

We haven't faced any limitations so far. We have a large footprint, with around 35 servers, so it's used extensively. Right now, we're in the process of consolidation, so the usage will likely go down a little bit. Right now, we're using it for around 10 hours a week.

I rate the technical support eight out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously used Microsoft Hyper-V. We switched to this because it has more features for managing enterprise-level infrastructure.

Setting up Configuration Manager was pretty straightforward. It took a couple of months to get everything squared away. It required two people to set up.

I used a consultant, but he decided not to make it. He doesn't want to be included in it.

We pay a monthly subscription, but I don't have the numbers. The only cost besides the license is the expense of maintaining the servers.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vCenter Configuration Manager nine out of 10. I recommend it to others. Don't waste time with other solutions. Just use this.

Private Cloud
    Managing Director at tathya technologies pvt ltd opc
    Good clustering and load balancing, easy to set up, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

The client I'm working with is basically a national ISP, and they are hosting multiple services and a couple of mail servers and hosting servers. So, basically, clusters are made with multiple hardware and things are running on them.

What is most valuable?

The clustering part and the load balancing part are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Error reporting should be more precise and descriptive, and there is no way to filter the logs. It would be helpful if its logs analysis can be more detailed, and the logs can be filtered.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

Its stability is good. It is stable and very traditional.

It is indeed scalable. In terms of the number of users, we have three or four admin users.

In this company, presently, there is not much scope for increasing the usage. It is currently able to meet their requirements. They're using it on a small scale, and they don't need all of its features. Whatever is there at the moment is sufficient for them. I'm not sure if there is an immediate requirement for expansion. They might scale up, but it is going to take time.

I never needed any support.

Previously, I used to use Hypervisor and OpenStack, but a lot of involvement was there, so we slowly switched to VMware vCenter.

It was quite easy. It didn't take a long time. Anyone with basic networking knowledge can do it.

We didn't use an integrator or a consultant.

It is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCenter Configuration Manager a nine out of 10.

IT System Manager and Infrastructure Architect at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Easy to use with good online integration and very stable
    • "The online configuration, especially in the latest version, is very good."
    • "The solution could be more integrated with the Microsoft environment."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage the virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The solution overall is very good.

The online configuration, especially in the latest version, is very good.

It's worked well for us so far and hasn't disappointed on any level.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of an aspect that needs improvement, as it's work so well for us so far.

The solution could be more integrated with the Microsoft environment.

I've used the solution for ten years now. It's been a decade.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. We don't have issues like crashes. It doesn't freeze. there aren't bugs or glitches.

The scalability of the solution is very high because it can scale in or out, so it's very good. If a company needs a solution that can size up or down to fit their needs, this is it.

We've never directly contacted the solution's technical support. We have a partner that assists us if we run into issues of any kind. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of service.

The initial setup happened about a decade ago, therefore I don't recall all of the details. However, I don't remember it being complex or difficult. It was pretty straightforward.

The deployment didn't take too long. It might have been an hour and a half or so.

We have a two-man engineering team that handles maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We're VMware partners.

I'd recommend the solution. It's very good. A company wouldn't have any trouble implementing it. It doesn't disappoint, and I don't see an area where it is lacking.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Solutions Architect at BAE Systems
    Reliable, reasonably priced, and capable of spinning up virtual machines from images
    • "The solution is stable and reliable."
    • "The VxRail configuration is very complicated and a little bit too difficult to guess what the final product is going to be."

What is most valuable?

What I like is the ability to spin up a virtual machine from an image, which makes my backup policy much easier.

The solution is stable and reliable.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. The VxRail configuration is very complicated and a little bit too difficult to guess what the final product is going to be.

The product needs better integration with security tools. It's a feature that you wouldn't need to have for something like Cisco or that type of thing. Something of that magnitude would already be built into the product.

I don't use it myself. I'm just designing the system. My specialty is SIEM and analytics tools. I don't really touch that.

The stability is good. It does what it is meant to do without issues. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I can't speak about the process involved in the initial setup. It's not really my job to spin it up and make it work, so to speak. I'm just there to use it and help people to configure it. If need be, there are infrastructure people for that.

The pricing goes back to the configuration. Sometimes for weeks, to work, you need to buy your machines - and those are pretty reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We do work for government entities. We are not really a reseller. We just say, "This is what you need to build. This is what we advise you to build in." Eventually, whichever government organization we are working for is going to decide what they're going to take according to which country it is. I'm the Solutions Architect.

For what is currently being used in our organization, I would rate it an eight out of ten. We're mostly happy with its capabilities.

Download our free Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Microsoft, HCL, and more!
    Updated: April 2022