Toad for Oracle OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Toad for Oracle is the #9 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give Toad for Oracle an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Toad for Oracle is most commonly compared to Toad Edge: Toad for Oracle vs Toad Edge. Toad for Oracle is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Toad for Oracle?

With Toad for Oracle, you'll reduce costs and risks by easily ensuring the health and performance of your Oracle Cloud Platform and on-premises databases. ... On the operations side, you can automate administration tasks and proactively manage your databases while embracing performance optimization and risk mitigation.

Toad for Oracle Customers
intel, ebay, uber, mars, microsoft
Toad for Oracle Video

Archived Toad for Oracle Reviews (more than two years old)

reviewer1458423 - PeerSpot reviewer
Self Employed, Software Developer, Energy Expert at My Power Station Technology (Pty) Ltd
Good support, easy to use with a visually appealing design, and it is straightforward to set up
  • "I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time."
  • "There should also be a better "cancel query" option as sometimes one cancels a query, but then it still might run for a long time, and then one has to crash Toad in order to cancel the query."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is Oracle software development. I use Packages, Stored Procedures, Triggers, DDL, and DML. I also use it for viewing schemas, viewing sessions, table spaces, etc.

I work in Oracle versions from 12c to 19c and a single version of Toad allows me to do this. I also work in Oracle htp.p (HTML, CSS, JavaScript from inside the database) and also Oracle Apex, and I can do this with Toad too.

I work on multiple VMs and multiple clients and I can load a 64-bit Toad in one environment and a 32-bit Toad in another environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Toad is the one tool that I use almost every single day of my life. Besides Operating Systems. email applications, office tools, mind mapping, and the like.

Toad is my choice programming environment for writing Oracle applications which live in the backend.

I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time. I've also used the debugger and optimizing tools from time to time.

I like that Toad saves me time in my work and recently I've started using the Reporting feature. It is also easy to add comments to tables and columns.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to look at the database visually, almost graphically.

Some other features that I like are:

• The ability to add ROWID to queries to allow quick updates without having to write SQL.
  • Visually appealing design.
  • Ability to view users and tasks and with DBA permission to be able to terminate sessions if required.

I also like that Toad has a one-year and a three-year maintenance license plan and upgrading for three years at a time allows one to save considerably on the license. Normally, I use the three-year option and I did this year, but last year I had a financial challenge and so only used the one-year upgrade option.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes if there's a crash, there are unsaved files that need to be recovered. Although this list is shown when you restart, I find this difficult to use.

After all these years of downloading the product, I still find the product download form a bit challenging and one needs to know to click on the Download Now checkbox so that one can download without choosing manuals, etc. I think that this form should be redesigned.

As with so many other tools and suppliers, I believe that long term users should get better maintenance pricing.

Database Development and Management
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Oracle, DbVis Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Toad for Oracle for the last 10 years.

It is very stable and fails (crashes) very seldomly. The main problem is when one wants to cancel a long-running query.

One can work with any sized database with this tool.

I only really contact my supplier when i need to upgrade. Support is good.

I started using Oracle in 1993. I can't remember what tools I used before I started using Toad.

I have colleagues who use other tools and I've looked at them. They load slowly, crash regularly, and don't have as nice a user interface as Toad. I find myself wasting time when I use other tools.

The initial setup is straightforward. Although during the last upgrade, I chose the Maintenance upgrade option instead of the full release, and the maintenance upgrade option didn't work for me.

In-house install, by me.

I don't have a quantitative measurement for this but I do know that Toad saves me time. Compared with other modern products, it allows me to do many functions in a single tool.

My advice is to try to use the three-year maintenance agreement if possible.

Per-user licensing allows me to use Toad in multiple places as long as I don't work on two at the same time

I have evaluated SQL Developer.

I've looked at this since starting to use Toad, especially last year during challenging financial times.

E-service at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Reach list of features make administering Oracle easier
  • "Toad has a lot of features that are very useful, fast, and well developed."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the performance because opening the browser and the editor should be faster."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for administering my Oracle database.

How has it helped my organization?

Toad has a lot of features that are very useful, fast, and well developed. It is a very easy and helpful tool for me and my work. It is the main program that I use, every day.

What is most valuable?

I like a lot of the features in this solution including the Session Browser, Tablespace, SGA browser, good editor, it is to dificult to enumerate all features.

What needs improvement?

The limit of 100,000 lines when parsing trace files is not always enough, and I would like to see the limit increased.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

The current version of Toad is stable. However, the previous version was not stable.

This solution is scalable.

I have only contacted technical support one time and it was by email. I would rate them somewhere between average and good. It was a few years ago, so they may have improved since then.

I have used other tools, but Toad is the best of them.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. Deployment takes approximately one hour.

I deployed the solution myself, and one person is suitable for both deployment and maintenance.

In my opinion, this solution is a little expensive, but I understand that good programs cost more money. I find it acceptable, although my bosses may think differently. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a program that I like very much and I recommend for others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Database Development and Management
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Development Department at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good UI, customization, and remote debugging capability
  • "The most valuable feature is the navigation within the UI, where you can right-click on an object in an SQL query and go right to it, versus going through all of the menus to find what you are looking for."
  • "The way the dialog boxes appear can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and I used Toad in my previous company with the Oracle database, but currently, I am using it with SQL Server. My primary use for this solution is database management.

How has it helped my organization?

Only done a trial.

What is most valuable?

I like that Toad has the ability to formulate code.

The remote debugging functionality is useful.

I like the themes that it has, such as the light theme and the dark theme. There are a huge number of options available to customize what you're doing.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be reduced. I like SQL Server Management Studio a lot so it has been hard to justify the cost for TOAD. However, if it is anything like the Oracle version, it is light years ahead.

The way the dialog boxes appear can be a little bit inconvenient. However, I am sure I will adapt - it is not a huge issue.

3 weeks

I haven't had any issues with stability. It used to be quite hungry on resources, but I would imagine that it has been fixed by now.

I am the only person using this solution in my company.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I did not use another database management solution prior to Toad, although Microsoft Access does give you the ability to do things like link tables.

The initial setup is reasonably straightforward for someone who's used something like SQL Management Studio. It's set up similarly in terms of having a tree-like structure, or you can also choose a tab structure. There are different ways of presenting the object in the database, which is helpful.

The software takes about ten minutes to install, as long as you have your Oracle or SQL database up. It is very easy to connect with them.

I implemented this solution on my own. If you have the SQL server set up then it just works.

Not assessed.

The software is expensive but it is very good.

I am currently using the trial version and I will probably purchase the professional edition. The professional edition is about $1,000 AUD ($700 USD) and the developer version is about twice that much.

No - I just loved the Oracle version when I worked with MARS.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used the SQL Server version a great deal, but I can say that when I used it with Oracle and comparing it to the Oracle Management Studio, Toad was by far the best.

For Oracle developers, this solution is a must. I don't think it is such a big jump from the SQL Management Studio, but from the Oracle point of view, it's a brilliant piece of software that makes things so much easier. It includes triggers or exits with remote debugging, and you have execution plans, all of which are helpful.

This is a very good product, but it is a little bit expensive.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Data Warehouse Analyst at Qatar Airways
Enables you to query, develop keys, and execute them to store and retrieve data
  • "The best product for working with Oracle databases for support, checking and loading data."
  • "There may be an issue with processing limitations but this cannot be confirmed as a problem with the product or with the newest releases."

What is our primary use case?

We use Toad as a solution for packages and day-to-day tasks, like calling and finding, when we have some support queries or need to check if there is a data issue. We also use it when we want to develop objects. For those kinds of sites only we use Toad. Sometimes we use it to load data from a third-party source.

How has it helped my organization?

It just gives us another tool to use when working with clients to solve issues.

What is most valuable?

The feature that is handy in Toad is that I think it is best for working with Oracle. Currently, I'm using DBeaver, SQL Server, SQL Developer, and Postgres. We are using multiple databases and tools and use Toad for Oracle only. Toad might be good for other situations but I never used it. When we have another kind of database or multiple database types, then we go to DBeaver, which is very handy right now.

What needs improvement?

There is not a lot to be improved in Toad. I am not using the newest version because the older version works almost all the time. It is a limitation already defined because of performance or coding. It does not kill the session but it forces a restart because processes hang. This may have been fixed in later versions.

One thing I would like to see improved is the log files. If they can tell whenever there is a failure like a hang, we are not able to understand the log. When we refer to any log file we do it for more analysis to find the exact cause and pinpoint the debugging. To know exactly why Toad has hanged or failed so we can research it out in the log file would be really helpful. Then we know what the cause is and what we should not be doing.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

The product is solid except for the issue I will mention several times here that may have been fixed since I last upgraded. When you process many records (in the range of more than 20 million at a time) the product just hangs without any warning. It would be better to just say: "okay this is the limit." Instead it just goes and hangs sometimes. Even there it is impossible to tell if it is a problem with the product as the cause does not show in the log.

Comparatively to other similar products, it is 99 percent stable.

I'm fairly sure the use of the product is scalable. To my knowledge, it has a limitation in going over a certain number of records, but maybe that limitation is not really a limitation. It may be something that other people will never run up against. Because I am using an older version this might not be an issue with later versions, so the claim itself may not be valid.

I did not ever use technical support. If I need to, I do search for the errors in the blogs and forums on the net. I do refer them, but I never contacted the Toad support.

We have used and still use many solutions as consultants. Some products solve different problems.

Installing Toad is very straightforward. Not much to do because just following the instructions works. We need to just set a few parameters and that's all.

Normally, we don't have to have a deployment, it is just something we use as a client tool and we have had it installed for some time. When we do a deployment, it doesn't take too much time. For one of the first clients we deployed for, we used it to create a database and move it to production and it took a little time because we had no experience. Depending on the size of the database, it might take you a maximum of thirty minutes to one hour.

To keep Toad up and running we don't need any maintenance. I'm not developing the Toad product, I'm telling as a user of the Toad product how to use it.

Toad is a product which comes in several versions. When we know your base architecture and the needs of your company, we either buy the license or use the trial version. It depends on the company's situation.

We evaluated many products and continue to evaluate them. Toad is a popular one and well-known by Oracle users.

What other advice do I have?

Toad is fast and very convenient. You just need to choose what you want to create, configure all the items and objects, then just generate the scripts, test and you can use the same script and create the objects in production. It is an easy tool to use.

Toad is a tool to efficiently connect to and use the Oracle database. It gives you the power so you can query, develop the keys and you can execute them to store and retrieve the data. However, when you use a larger database, you may not end up with the only single database type. For example, you might have another system where you had big data or something so in that case, you are better off to choose some free database management system — a generic database system like Postgres or MySQL.

Oracle is comparatively not cost-effective. It is the best, but having the best comes with a cost. So when you use Oracle as your database you know you are using a good product. If your system is more complicated, Toad may not be able to connect to all the databases available. We use DBeaver in that case which is fourth-generation and the fifth-generation database tool and allows you to connect to all kind of databases like MySQL, SQLserver, Postgres, or other tools. For our purposes, Toad is a single tool which helps you connect to Oracle. In our experience, sometimes a business is more interested in such kind of tool that they know by name and can trust. Toad is best obviously, they use it, but sometimes it is confused with a lot of different tools whose purpose is not the same.

Most of the users who are using Toad have got a contract with Toad. For those who do not, it can be a hefty cost to move to Toad. Once they know that there is extra involved, then they will not have as much interest if what they are doing is not within its scope. You can use for Oracle only and has some higher-end limitations, but if someone is already extensively using Toad's database then they might face these kinds of costs.

All that said, I would rate Toad a ten out of ten compared to other products with use for Oracle. We know what it is we can use it for and it is always the best product for the purpose. Until now, ur servers have always worked.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Oracle, DbVis Software, and more!
Updated: November 2022