IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

TIBCO BusinessWorks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO BusinessWorks is #11 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO BusinessWorks an average rating of 8 out of 10. TIBCO BusinessWorks is most commonly compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: TIBCO BusinessWorks vs Mule Anypoint Platform. TIBCO BusinessWorks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
TIBCO BusinessWorks Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO BusinessWorks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is TIBCO BusinessWorks?
TIBCO BusinessWorks allows to connect applications, whether on-premises or in the cloud, providing proven reliability and scalability, out-of-the-box. With a drag-and-drop graphical development environment, TIBCO BusinessWorks eliminates the pain and cost of point-to-point application integration, connecting and unifying business processes across applications, data sources, and APIs, with access to real-time data across all your platforms.
TIBCO BusinessWorks Customers

Euler Hermes, QSuper, Scandinavian Airlines

TIBCO BusinessWorks Video

TIBCO BusinessWorks Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO BusinessWorks pricing:
  • "I think BusinessWorks is more expensive compared to other products. We have the ELA, so at least we have some sort of bargain or discount with that. But for a start-up, it's very expensive compared to other ESBs."
  • "It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different."
  • "I don't have the prices of the products, but I know that TIBCO is not a cheap solution. I think that this solution is more suitable for large companies because I don't think that small- or medium-sized companies would have the money for this solution. WSO2 has the community version for free, so many of the smaller companies can use it. I'm not sure what the prices are for support, though, so I suppose the support for WSO2 is not cheap either."
  • "My understanding is that the licensing is very costly."
  • "Its price policy has changed quite a lot in the last two years. It was extremely expensive previously. Nowadays, you can buy a license for BusinessWorks for €2000. Looking at what you get in return in terms of support, TIBCO community, and stability, it is fairly reasonable. It is not too expensive."
  • "Licensing scheme is too rigid"
  • TIBCO BusinessWorks Reviews

Integration Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Useful features, but needs monitoring and cloud improvements
    • "One of the most valuable features is data transformation. We have some legacy systems which are in old technology, like SOAP, whereas the new ones are in REST. So we use BusinessWorks to transform data from one format to another, from SOAP to REST."
    • "This solution's cloud could be improved. I don't know whether it was because we didn't have the internal expertise or if it was the product itself, but since they came later—I think only two or three years into the cloud—after many other iPaaS that had been in the cloud for longer, I feel that maybe they haven't matured in terms of the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of BusinessWorks is integration, to ensure that our various systems are communicating and integrated. Instead of doing point-to-point integration, we implemented this solution to ensure that system A can talk to system B via BusinessWorks.  We started with on-premise, but have migrated to the cloud version, so we're using the latest update of BusinessWorks. We have a hybrid deployment—some services still run on-premise, but the latest services are running on our private cloud. We have a Kubernetes cluster set up within our VMs.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is data transformation. We have some legacy systems which are in old technology, like SOAP, whereas the new ones are in REST. So we use BusinessWorks to transform data from one format to another, from SOAP to REST. BusinessWorks has many useful features. Every product we have is being used on a day-to-day basis. Some might have been retired, but we're at least using most of the basic BusinessWorks products.

What needs improvement?

This solution's cloud could be improved. I don't know whether it was because we didn't have the internal expertise or if it was the product itself, but since they came later—I think only two or three years into the cloud—after many other iPaaS that had been in the cloud for longer, I feel that maybe they haven't matured in terms of the cloud. Even building cloud images is relatively huge compared to other iPaaS services, but I know it's something that is in progress since there are releases almost every day.  For the on-premise deployment, the memory could be improved. It consumes a lot of memory, so we have to ask our infrastructure team to increase the memory every day. With BusinessWorks, the application or payload can be small, but it still uses a lot of memory. Memory utilization is my biggest worry, so maybe they can optimize on that.  In the next update, I would like to see support around IoT, internet of things, because we are moving toward that now. We are going to have so many devices that need to connect and communicate. Also, maybe they can gather information and improve their monitoring. They have TIBCO Hawk, but it's not as powerful as other monitoring tools that we have, so we use third-party monitoring applications.

I have been using BusinessWorks for around five years now.
    TIBCO BusinessWorks
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about TIBCO BusinessWorks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is stable. I don't have any other iPaaS to compare it to, but it performs well. I haven't had any issues with development.   As far as maintenance, it's mostly just HotFix updates they share, maybe to fix a bug or maybe they don't support the latest security protocol, what we call SSL, so they have to fix it. I think they're trying to catch up with other technologies—for example, maybe you upgraded your security level or have secure applications—so they do their hot fixes just to catch up. I'm in development, but the operations team is the one who raises tickets to Safaricom and interacts with TIBCO on a day-to-day basis. They identify bugs and if there's something that needs to be fixed, they fix it on UAT and production.

I'm not sure about scalability. When we test, it's only one or two users who are testing because we don't have the live traffic. Even if we're doing a load test, we don't do load tests on UAT, we do our load test on production. I have to confirm with our operations team because, as a developer, I'm focused more on the functional and maybe load testing. I've never had an issue with load testing, at least.  Our DevOps team has around 35 people.

There's a case that I raised some time back and it took almost two weeks, with them telling me they took it to the engineering team, the engineering team took it back to L2, and I felt like I was being bounced around. There are various product portfolios, so from L2, they take you from portfolio A to portfolio B, portfolio B will take you to the engineering team, the engineering team will just come back to you and tell you it's not a product issue. I don't feel that they're completely competent when it comes to just answering you and providing support.

The initial setup was simple because it's what we call low-code/no-code. I think that as long as you come from a programming background, it's easy to understand and you can easily implement TIBCO BusinessWorks. It's more of a drag-and-drop, and then it generates codes in the background. I'll give credit to TIBCO at least on that front. It's easy for guys to come in and, within a month, they can start implementing without having prior knowledge of TIBCO. So it's easy to learn and start implementation.  When I joined my company, I had a team that was already competent in TIBCO, in terms of development and support, so it was easy to be trained. Initially, I think they were using one of the system integrators to support them, but by the time I joined, we had enough competency within the team to support and develop it.

We implemented through an in-house team.

I think BusinessWorks is more expensive compared to other products. We have the ELA, so at least we have some sort of bargain or discount with that. But for a start-up, it's very expensive compared to other ESBs.  This solution is more suited for large enterprises. For someone who's just starting up without enough CapEx or OpEx, it's going to be a bit expensive.

We have another ESB, which is called WSO2, that I would recommend because it's very strong. The only factor I would maybe recommend TIBCO on, over WSO2, is the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think I would recommend this solution to others. We have another ESB, which is called WSO2—I would rather recommend this one, since it was very strong. With TIBCO, they don't even have some kind of open source where you can just download and practice, so you have to procure the license in order to get the software. Other ESBs will at least give you the ID so you can do everything, but you have to pay and be locked in before you can start using TIBCO. Maybe it's number two or three, but it's not my top ESB.  I rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a seven out of ten because it works. We have over 200 applications running on TIBCO, so I'll give it a seven.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    GM - Enterprise Application Integration at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Stable and has connectors to many of the legacy systems, but needs better pricing and fixes for stability issues in the latest version
    • "It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors."
    • "Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily. The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for enterprise application integration. Basically, it does the integration between the applications. If you want to integrate multiple systems, it lets you expose an API. For a business application that is running on, for example, AS/400 or COBOL system, if you want to expose some information pertaining to the system, TIBCO would also play a role there. It will get the information from the latest system and just transform it into a simple format and give it as a response to the operating system. We are currently using versions 5.14 and 6.5.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily.

The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers.

If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse.

I have been using this solution for almost 12 years.

In the latest version, we are frequently facing issues, but version 5.14 was very stable.

Scalability is a challenge. Because we are using on-prem and it is not on the cloud, autoscaling is not happening. Autoscaling is not possible because we need to increase the cores and RAM in our virtual machine and bring the services up.

TIBCO has another version that supports the cloud, but we are not using that particular version because it is very expensive. We have raised some of the questions with them, and we got a quote from the TIBCO team about the cost of the cloud-supported version, but we would also like to evaluate other cloud-supported tools that are available in the market, such as MuleSoft and Fiorano. We would like to compare these tools and see which one is feasible and for which one, people are available for development activities.

We are also using TIBCO Enterprise Messaging Service (EMS).

It is simple. The deployment hardly takes five to eight minutes. but the internal implementation can take time depending on the business scenario. We have around 800 plus APIs as of now.

We have vendors as well as an in-house team.

It requires basic maintenance. If APIs are taking more time, we need to fine-tune that. If they are not responding, we need to look into that. It depends on how it is implemented and deployed in the environment and whether we need to fine-tune the environment. We have a tool called TIBCO Hawk. It is a monitoring tool that gives us some kind of idea about whether the service is up or down. If it is down due to some reason, we can set a rule to autostart.

It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for big companies. It is a stable product.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a seven out of ten. They should fix the outstanding issues in version 6.

TIBCO BusinessWorks
    June 2022
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Manager Enterprise Integration and Order Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Ease-of-use and simplified deployment makes projects fluid
    • "The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and ease of deployment."
    • "The container-based image is too large and this makes auto-scaling difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We using TIBCO BusinessWorks 5 and the container edition to work with integrations.

What is most valuable?

It is a cloud product. The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and deployment.

What needs improvement?

I think TIBCO needs to do a lot in terms of making it a first-class cloud solution. Because the issues that we are facing have to do with the container-based image. It is so big that it makes it very difficult to autoscale.

They need to do a few things. First, they need to make it smaller, and also to make it really a true cloud citizen. Because if you compare with other solutions, TIBCO is playing catch up in terms of cloud adoption.

I just received a new version the other day and they have included quite a lot of changes. It is impossible to tell what they have already taken care of. But I have experienced that there are some security vulnerabilities that they need to fix on the Docker image. I do not have the specific details because we have not totally isolated the problem, but there are some vulnerabilities and those are apparent in the TIBCO container edition.

I have been using TIBCO (The Information Bus Company) Businessworks for the last seven years.

I think TIBCO is relatively stable. There is not much downtime.

With TIBCO as a platform, scalability should not be an issue because it is cloud-based and should support autoscaling. You run the Docker image on Kubernetes or RedHat, then the BW (BusinessWorks) site is always relatively stable and also very easy to scale. It is scalable both vertically and horizontally.

As far as looking at it as scaling to a larger number of users, TIBCO is really not a GUI where a user will log in and perform tasks. It is middleware, where you use it to expose APIs and from there you have systems connecting to it. So it supports the operations of the entire enterprise. You can not really quantify the number of users because it is just a tool for exposing APIs.

I work with TIBCO technical support almost every week. We often have to raise a ticket. Not in a bad way. Most of the time it is just that we come to a new situation or requirement and it is better and quicker to have them assist us. It is not because of the stability of the solution. It is always a new challenge where we require their technical assistance.

The technical support team is usually very prompt. I think the kind of support we get from TIBCO is unparalleled.

There was a time we did a pilot with Oracle SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture). But in terms of a faster API tool, TIBCO is miles ahead of SOA in terms of functionality and setup. It is also better in terms of ease-of-use. Oracle is too complex. I find it unnecessarily complex and heavy.

I think the setups that I have done were mostly straightforward. They really did not require a lot of back and forth or complicated configurations. But in some scenarios, I have had complicated implementations. These are businesses with complex business requirements and that is when I need to contact the support at TIBCO.

The initial setup normally takes between a week to two weeks. This is for the deployment and then after that, we spend a little time doing some testing. It is really not an outrageous amount of time for deployment at all.

What other advice do I have?

The only caveat I would tell people considering this solution is that there are issues with the container-based image. It needs to be made much smaller. But as a tool to help you work doing what it was made to do, it is a very good product.

On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate TIBCO as a nine-out-of-ten. If you see the amount of work that we do with it and the kind of revenue and customer experience because of the value that we get from TIBCO, the high rating is warranted.

CEO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Simple to develop, very stable, and easy to scale
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it's a simple development. It takes a short time to get services to work."
    • "TIBCO BusinessWorks could be improved with cloud support."

What is our primary use case?

TIBCO BusinessWorks is used for web services. I have a few processes with collecting data from a database and putting it somewhere.

This solution is deployed on-premise.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

TIBCO BusinessWorks could be improved with cloud support.

I have been using TIBCO for more than 10 years.

This solution is very stable, but I still work with Version 5. I know that it's now Version 6 or higher. With this version, I know that it's very common to have problems with migration components, stability, etc.

This solution is easy to scale. I think it's easier than other solutions that I know, such as WSO2, or Java components, or IBM solutions. From my perspective, this solution is most suitable for large companies.

I have never communicated with TIBCO's technical support directly. I only need to communicate sometimes with the vendor for maintenance.

I also have some experience with WSO2. From my perspective, TIBCO is easier to develop and, with this solution, I can make more specific solutions from a technical perspective. From a user perspective and developer perspective, this tool is more important.

The initial setup process was not simple. It's not simple for a production environment or for a developer station. Usually, the best is working on gear to our machines. It takes a shorter amount of time to set up the environment locally. This solution doesn't really require any maintenance.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a nine out of ten. I would advise those who are considering implementing this solution to maybe contact other companies that use the solution and learn from them—the developers, maintenance team, etc.

Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Robust, easy for developers to work with, and the support is wonderful
    • "The most important thing is that it is easy for developers to work with."
    • "The cost of this product is too expensive for smaller companies or those with a small number of integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

We are using this in the banking industry and we have some APIs that are based on BusinessWorks.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing is that it is easy for developers to work with.

BusinessWorks is robust, flexible, and scalable.

What needs improvement?

There should be more support for cloud-based integration.

I have been using TIBCO BusinessWorks for more than five years.

This solution is very much stable and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable product and we have about 200 people who use it.

The support is wonderful and they respond on time.

Within the past year, I've explored MuleSoft. I haven't used it much but I know how it works. It has different advantages, and it's more API-based. It's a cloud-based solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward and it will not take more than a few minutes.

I deployed it myself. We have a 10 member deployment team that follows a sprint cycle. They include DevOps people, administrators, and others.

My understanding is that the licensing is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

For enterprise integration, this is definitely a very fitting product. I am talking about an organization that has a large number of integrations. However, for cases where there is a low number, this is definitely not a good choice because of the cost. I don't think that it's a good fit for the small customer.

The vendor has also come up with a cloud-based integration, which I think will ultimately be good but to my knowledge, at this time it hasn't picked up well yet.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.

Fabio Ferri - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at Catenate
    Excellent technical support, good high availability and load balancing, good stability, and reasonable price
    • "The high availability, tolerance, and load balancing features are top-notch. Its scalability features are also pretty cool."
    • "The Business Studio tool can be improved, which is the tool for designing the processes. Improving the Business Studio tool will make this solution more stable. It has a steep learning curve, and it is pretty tough to learn."

What is most valuable?

The high availability, tolerance, and load balancing features are top-notch. Its scalability features are also pretty cool.

What needs improvement?

The Business Studio tool can be improved, which is the tool for designing the processes. Improving the Business Studio tool will make this solution more stable.

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

It is stable and reliable.

Its scalability features are pretty cool. Our clients are enterprise companies.

Their technical support is really excellent.

It has medium complexity. It is not easy, and it is also not complex. It is not a one-day training. At the same time, as a developer, you don't need five years to become an expert.

It is usually deployed on-premise. Since they launched TIBCO Cloud Integration (TCI), cloud deployments are increasing.

Its price policy has changed quite a lot in the last two years. It was extremely expensive previously. Nowadays, you can buy a license for BusinessWorks for €2000. Looking at what you get in return in terms of support, TIBCO community, and stability, it is fairly reasonable. It is not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is good in terms of high availability and scalability, but for every feature, there are some parameters that you need to use to tune the performance. You need some experience to know exactly what to put and where to put it. It is the same thing that you feel with MuleSoft Eco or WSO2 solution. If you want to tune the performance, you need to play around with different parameters and properties. It is a technical tool, and you need a technical person. I would advise others to just play around. You can download the software and play with it. As with every tool, the more you play, the more you learn.

There are some free solutions, such as WSO2, but if you compare it with these solutions, TIBCO has deployed more applications all over the world. BusinessWorks is more reliable, and its price is pretty fair.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks an nine out of ten.

Head of IT Integration & Finance Transformation at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Completely reliable with good performance and stability
    • "Good performance and reliability."
    • "Could be more user friendly in the development area."

What is our primary use case?

This product is useful for all aspects of corporate integration. Our front-end channel does not have B2B connections to the legacy systems; it's all done by TIBCO which presents services that do the communication between the different applications of our architecture enabling direct links to the different applications.

What is most valuable?

Performance and the stability are both good features. We are a bank and it's very important to be able to keep track of things. Reliability is key and that's what TIBCO provides.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more user-friendly solution in terms of the development area.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We've had good experience with technical support.

I recall that the initial implementation was done by TIBCO and I imagine that it took no more than a couple of weeks. We tend to refer to TIBCO consultancy when necessary. We have around 40 users in the organization and maintenance is handled by a team of four engineers.

Our license is paid annually.

We initially had a homemade development of an enterprise bus, and we carried out an RFP at the time, but TIBCO was the winner due to its reliability, mainly in financial markets.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Obreten Obretenov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Product Manager at Emirates
    Adapters have extensive capabilities
    • "Areas for improvement would be the cloud fitness of the product and the ease of migrating to newer versions."
    • "Cloud fitness is lacking"

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the extensive capabilities of adapters and the capabilities in the development environment.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be the cloud fitness of the product and the ease of migrating to newer versions. Its price could also be lower, and its licensing model would benefit from changing to pay-as-you-go to better fit the use of cloud services.

I've been working with this product for over ten years.

This product is pretty stable.

BusinessWorks is scalable, but I feel limited by the license.

The support team is good, they're really experienced.

The setup isn't very complex, but it does require some expertise.

The licensing is very rigid - it's perpetual licensing, which doesn't really support good scalability.

What other advice do I have?

TIBCO can be really difficult to talk to commercially - they usually don't show much flexibility. I would give this product a rating of eight out of ten.

Download our free TIBCO BusinessWorks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022