IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Talend Data Management Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Talend Data Management Platform is #13 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Talend Data Management Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. Talend Data Management Platform is most commonly compared to IBM InfoSphere DataStage: Talend Data Management Platform vs IBM InfoSphere DataStage. Talend Data Management Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Talend Data Management Platform?
Talend offers robust data integration in an open and scalable architecture to maximize its value to your business. Simple, graphical tools and wizards get you up and running quickly with native code generation that streamlines development.

Talend Data Management Platform was previously known as Talend Integration Suite.

Talend Data Management Platform Customers
Accent Group, Acticall, Allianz Global Investors Distributors LLC, Car & Boat Media, Cdiscount.com
Talend Data Management Platform Video

Talend Data Management Platform Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Talend Data Management Platform pricing:
  • "The pricing is a little higher than what I had expected, but it's comparable with I-PASS competitors."
  • "License renewal is on a yearly basis."
  • "The price is on a per-user basis. It's a little more expensive than other tools. There aren't any additional costs beyond the standard licensing fee."
  • Talend Data Management Platform Reviews

Systems Integration Specialist at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    User-friendly, stable, and handles different context variables well
    • "I like the way that you can use the context variables, and how you can work those context variables to give you values and settings for every development environment, such as PROD, TEST, and DEV."
    • "I would like to sync a project and do an upload from that current version, and then from GitLab, be able to download the latest one."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, I am using this solution to develop an integration between two particular systems. It's selecting a TSV file from slate and transferring to banner after you work the data.

How has it helped my organization?

Since I am using it for an ongoing project, I haven't been able to deliver on that project. It is going to help us in changing the way we look at integrations and not have deployed from a strictly coding standpoint. Instead, it's going to be from a perspective of design and orchestration, which is the direction we are going in.

What is most valuable?

I have been using very basic features, but one of the features that I liked the most is how it handles different contexts. I like the way that you can use the context variables, and how you can work those context variables to give you values and settings for every development environment, such as PROD, TEST, and DEV. The objects are friendly to use, and another feature that I like is the general generic schemas, even though it took a certain amount of learning to get used to it, it was beneficial. With what I have seen in the cloud version the interface is great, and what I have used of the on-premises version is great. It's user friendly.

What needs improvement?

While I understand that I am using the open-source version, but the facility of having version control is to the point where you can share it with other developers in the team. I think that's the way the product was intentionally made. That way you don't have organizations using the open-source version and instead of using the paid version. I would like to sync a project and do an upload from that current version, and then from GitLab, be able to download the latest one. It will make it easier to share code with teammates. This is most likely something that Talend Open Studio doesn't have intentionally so that organizations have to invest in the cloud. If Talend were to be able to offer an annual license in which the number of integrations is the deciding factor, instead of the number of concurrent users developing, then that would make them a little bit more competitive when you're comparing them to, for example, were Workato or SnapLogic.
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: June 2022.
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I'm still in the learning phase and the exploration phase. I have been working with this solution for approximately a month and a half.

I haven't found any bugs or glitches so far. I am still exploring the tool. I've heard from organizations that have the cloud version, that there are certain objects that I will not have in the on-premises version. I don't know which objects they are.  I still haven't seen Talent Open Studio lacking in anything, but I guess that they've gone through something specific. I am sure that there is a generic object that you can use to cover a certain demand.

In terms of scalability, we have put basic projects in Cron Servers to run out a Cron Job, which didn't require a lot of work. I had to do the research on how to export the job, then it worked. We have only done it with basic jobs where you are moving files over, creating directories, and validating if the directories exist. Soon we will be deploying one that is going to involve connecting to an SFTP to select files, doing a DIFF of the file, and comparing it to a previous version. With what is left, we're performing inserts and Oracle tables. I am the only one that is fully using this solution. I do have another person who helps me when transferring files to the Cron Server.

I really haven't reached out to technical support. I've been just doing it on my own, going through forums, blogs, reading multiple books, and finding a couple of videos on YouTube. That has been enough. I would have to encounter something that is challenging in the development process, and since I am going to be using some APIs, those calls would be done through SQL. I don't think that I will be asking for help anytime soon, but it might be different once we are using the cloud version.

We are currently in the process of selecting an I-PASS solution and right now, the Talend Data Management Platform is one of the finalists. We are ironing out the differences and seeing how much we can do with the open-source version before moving onto the cloud version.

In the initial setup, I was having some struggles with making sure that Java requirements were properly set up. After that, it was working fine.  I have installed it on both a Mac and a PC, and I haven't had any complaints.  I'm still working out the dynamic of using a GIT repository, such as GitLab to be able to back up all of the projects that I'm working on.

The pricing is a little higher than what I had expected, but it's comparable with I-PASS competitors. It's on the higher side because it's a developer-user licensed solution. It makes you look at the investment differently than an I-PASS that is offered by the number of integrations that you have to work on. You have to balance it out on one end. You have an I-PASS that tells you that you can have an unlimited amount of developers, but you can only develop a certain amount of integrations per yer. That's what you are paying for. With Talend, it's the opposite. You can have an unlimited amount of integrations but you only a license for two developers, for example.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking to use this solution, I would suggest using the open-source version first. I have been told that there are missing features, but I haven't found what those components are. I can understand how an organization that is already living with the Talend cloud can identify that easier because they were already facing a challenge without finding that component. The reason why that organization told me that was because they have three developers working on a cloud version and one developer working on the on-premises version.  That is how they picked up on it. According to what I had heard from that source, there are differences. There are some components that are only going to be available in the Talend cloud version. At this time, it is difficult for me to evaluate this solution, as I have only seen how their products work and I am not fully working with Talend. It's subjective.  The only way that I could be objective would be if I had maybe one year of experience using a different I-PASS and then one year of experiencing using this one. We are still in the process of evaluating them, but I love the way things look in Talend, and I'm all for Talend. I know that Workato is really close to it as well. The relationship with the vendor is currently coding, presentations, demos, and conversations of how this I-PASS can be a part of our organization. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Consultant en intelligence dÃcisionnelle at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Simple to use interface and good community support using the portal
    • "The features that I like the most are the simplicity of the interface, and the ability to quickly develop with a predefined component."
    • "They lack in memory capacity."

What is our primary use case?

I was using the Talend Data Management Platform to ship data from the source to the website, and I was using the Talend administration console to monitor the different data flex and developing new data flex.

The new data flex was deployed to our servers. We are also using the same Talend administration for tasks, monitoring the tasks, and for developing the tasks.

We have four to five servers running on Talend.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the simplicity of the interface, and the ability to quickly develop with a predefined component.

Having the ability to mix both my own code created in Java with the predefined components is helpful.

It is easy to face issues and meet any of the client's needs.

What needs improvement?

We were using TAC for the testing environments and another TAC for the production environment. We had to promote our code manually from one environment to another.

I would like to see them add a feature in TAC that exists in TMC where you have the ability with different environments to promote code easily from one to the other.

They lack in memory capacity. We had to add a new job server to deal with the new system we had.

I would like to see components added with routing and web services. We have many subsystems that are not being used with Talend to make them communicate. It would be better to have unified systems within Talend to be able to do so. Having it directly in Talend Data Management would be nice, or an ESB (Enterprise Service Bus) or some web service applications. Also to have a unified TAC, actually just having one environment or one Infospace for the entire environment.

This solution is scalable. When we had to add new data flex we were just parallelizing, having different jobs running in Talend on five different job servers.

I haven't had the need to contact technical support. When I have had issues, the Talend portal is there and there is a Talend Help Centre where you have discussions and blogs. I was able to find answers there.

Previously, we were using TAC (Talend Administrative Console).

License renewal is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I have never spoken with Talend technical support directly over the phone or by mail, I was able to find my answers on the web. Overall, I am satisfied with Talend and I recommend it.

I would rate Talend an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    June 2022
    607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Managing Partner at Vertiv
    Allows us to capture large volumes of data from multiple sources and load it to the data lake
    • "The most valuable feature is the data loading and scripting language"
    • "I think they should drive toward AI and machine learning. They could include a machine-learning algorithm for the deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

We use Talend for the ETL tool data integration. We're using Talend with Spark to capture large volumes of data from multiple sources and load it to the data lake. We're using version 12.

We deploy it in our organization and to our client through AWS as a cloud provider.

We have one IT consultant and 180 people in different technologies, particularly in the data integration side. At least 50% of them know Talend, and some of them know Ab Initio or Informatica.

We may increase usage, but there are more tools coming up in this space, like Kafka real-time integration. Other data integration capabilities are coming up.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us extract data from various sources and load it into the data lake for our client as a large regional bank.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the data loading and scripting language. Talend graphs are more user-friendly for developing, modifying, and embedding in business logic.

What needs improvement?

There are some glitches, but mostly they'll fix the ongoing feedback we give to the product guys. However, there could be more enhancements. They're bringing deduplication capabilities to Talend.

I think they should drive toward AI and machine learning. They could include a machine-learning algorithm for the deduplication.

It's stable.

It's scalable.

Technical support is average. I would rate them 3.5 out of 5.

Installation is straightforward. Deployment only takes a couple of days – maybe a day or two with the infrastructure side. For implementation, you have to write a code in order to get the data.

Deployment can be done in-house if you have dealt with a lot of ETL tools that are integration tools.

The licensing compared with IBM tools is like 50%.

We evaluated Informatica and Ab Initio. We chose Talend because of the data capabilities. It's a better tool for our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Good integration with lots of connections, a helpful community, and friendly support
    • "The most valuable feature is integration."
    • "Performance and speed could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Talend to help our clients distribute their products.

It's a real ETL solution. You download data, transform it, and then you upload it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is integration. There are several connectors, there is a large community, and the solution updates often. It is always up-to-date.

What needs improvement?

Performance and speed could be improved.

They could improve on the scalability.

I have been using the Talend Data Management Platform for three or four years.

This solution is stable, although not the best. I'd say that it is great but not on the top.

It's scalable but they could use Docker to improve the scalability.

I have contacted technical support on occasion. It's great because you have the support and you have the community as well.

You create a ticket and intel is very open and reactive. They are friendly.

The initial setup is straightforward and not complex.

It did not take a lot of time to deploy.

Before choosing Talend, we evaluated DataStage and Informatica.

We decided to go with Talend because it has an open-mindedness to it. It's not a closed system, you have a great community and in France, where I live, it is the leader and there are many people who can do a good job using Talend.

What other advice do I have?

Talend is a good product and I recommend it. It is an open system, you have several connectors, it's evolved, and you are unlimited because of the great community. There are always people who may have had some of the same encounters and have found solutions to the same problems.

I am still learning this product myself, I have not yet used all of the features this product has to offer.

Christopher Hafer - PeerSpot reviewer
    Integration Engineer II at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Comprehensive, highly scalable, and easy to use
    • "I like everything about this product, but the biggest thing is the ease of use."
    • "I've had some issues with bugs causing crashes, especially when making changes to the system or with the monthly upgrades to Studio they've introduced."

What is our primary use case?

My main use of this solution is application integration.

What is most valuable?

I like everything about this product, but the biggest thing is the ease of use. I also like the ability to have files between Linux missions.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be that securing the product can be challenging because there are multiple ways to secure everything. If they offered a secured version or sample, that would be a big improvement.

I've been using this solution for around ten years. I use it myself and have trained others in how to use it.

I've had some issues with bugs causing crashes, especially when making changes to the system or with the monthly upgrades to Studio they've introduced. However, the stability is great when you scale up to more users or more data.

Currently, scaling is more effective with the cloud version, where you can get into the data fabric and have access to more power.

I've had no problems with tech support - they're willing to work with me as an advanced user to figure out solutions.

Talend is scaled much lower in cost than Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

Talend is getting ready to drop SVN as a code repository in version 8 going forward, so you have to convert anybody who's using SVN to switch over to GIT (on which it runs much faster). I understand it isn't easy to get people who are experienced in this product, so you should go through the training on their website as there are a lot of nuances in this product that you may miss otherwise. I would rate this solution as ten out of ten.

Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Talend, Microsoft, Informatica, and more!
    Updated: June 2022