We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Symantec Web Application Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Web Application Firewall is #20 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Symantec Web Application Firewall an average rating of 8 out of 10. Symantec Web Application Firewall is most commonly compared to F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM): Symantec Web Application Firewall vs F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.
What is Symantec Web Application Firewall?

The Symantec Web Application Firewall (WAF) enables you to secure and accelerate your web applications.

Symantec Web Application Firewall was previously known as Symantec WAF, Blue Coat Protecting Web Applications.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Symantec Web Application Firewall Video

Symantec Web Application Firewall Reviews

Head IT Infrastructure (DGM-IT) at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
An excellent up-to-date data repository handling external threats successfully
  • "The solution has an up-to-date data repository to deal with external threats."
  • "Sometimes scanning slows down the endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple applications that we wanted to ensure were protected and we chose Symantec for that. I'm the head of IT infrastructure and we are partners with Symantec.

How has it helped my organization?

Symantec has specifically helped connect external users to our internal network. It has also enabled us to ensure that those who have permission get access to our systems. It gives us peace of mind.

What is most valuable?

I like that Symantec has an up-to-date data repository to deal with external threats. It provides us with a sense of security.

What needs improvement?

One of our issues is that sometimes scanning slows down the endpoints. The outcome of that is that we have to disable Symantec end users, troubleshoot, and then reconnect. I also believe that from the Indian market perspective, the cost of this product is an issue.

I've been using this solution for eight years.

We have a limited type of user so scalability is not so relevant and it's difficult to quantify. We have 1,500 internal users but I have no idea how many external users we have.

Our experience with technical support has been very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Pricing in India will be always on the higher side, but what price do you put on security?

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a 10 out of 10.

Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward setup but the whole Web Security Gateway can be better
  • "The setup was straightforward."
  • "I'm not convinced that it's necessary the best solution going forward in the future."

What is our primary use case?

The clients turned our view on a few aspects. I believe that solutions have changed over the last few years and I think the value proposition has changed quite a bit. I don't really know. I see the value in the proxy for many things, and I feel that web proxy is not the way to go necessarily, in the future.

What needs improvement?

I would say that the whole Web Security Gateway can be better. I feel that it controls the endpoint. But I am not sure if any improvement is necessary on the actual Web Security Gateway installed, which is meant to be beneficial, because maybe the problem lies at our endpoint.

We don't use Symantec Web Application Firewall internally for our own company, we only provide the service to other clients.

Our clients had a few technical issues, which were resolved. But the technical support wasn't great.

The setup was straightforward, but I would say the deployment timeline as indicated, was rather complex.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, I would give it a five. I'm not convinced that it's necessarily the best solution going forward in the future. The technical support could be better, and the initial setup and deployment could be more straightforward.

Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Fortinet, Citrix and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jean-Pol_Tamenne
Networking and Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly, feature-rich, and we are pleased with the performance
  • "The interface is user-friendly."
  • "It would be an improvement if the management dashboards were not reliant upon Java."

What is most valuable?

The performance is ok and overall, I'm really pleased.

The interface is user-friendly.

There are a lot of features in this product.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard is dependent on Java so you need to have it installed. If there are different versions of Java then it can cause problems. It would be an improvement if the management dashboards were not reliant upon Java.

I have been using Symantec WAF for the past year, although it was in the company before that.

This solution is very stable and we haven't experienced any crashes.

Symantec WAF is a scalable solution, although we do not have requirements for scalability. It is possible to just add a box and add capacity, as needed.

The initial setup is not complex for a network specialist.

What other advice do I have?

This product is doing what it should and what we are expecting from it. This solution is perfect for what we are using it for.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.