Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

StorSimple OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Cloud Storage Gateways Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is StorSimple?

StorSimple is one of the biggest challenges facing enterprise storage customers is massive data growth and the amount of storage management work required to keep up with it. StorSimple series hybrid storage arrays excel at managing data growth and stopping the endless cycle of buying storage.

StorSimple Customers

AGC AusGroup. Black & Veatch, Catholic School Board, Convergent Computing, GF Health Products, Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Mazda, Medplast, Mulvanny G2 Architecture, Paul Smith, Provoke Solutions Ltd, Saudi ReadyMix, SK Telecom, TechSmith, Textron, Walbridge

StorSimple Video

Archived StorSimple Reviews (more than two years old)

IT-Consultant Microsoft Solutions at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The deduplication technology saves time within a disaster recovery case.

What is most valuable?

The deduplication technology is the most valuable feature. It saves time within a disaster recovery case.

What needs improvement?

I hope that the virtual device in the cloud will get more functionality!

I have used this solution for five years.

The product is very stable.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Panzura and others in Cloud Storage Gateways. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Due to the fact that it is combined with Microsoft Azure Storage, the scalability is very good.

In case of a support issue, the level of technical support is very fast.

The setup has to be done by a Microsoft certified StorSimple Deployment Specialist.

What other advice do I have?

Please ask for advice before implementing this product. This can be done through a Microsoft partner.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Microsoft partner.
it_user175077 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You can recover disk images from 5 minutes ago in a second but I would also like link aggregation vs MPIO.

What is most valuable?

• This product is easy to use and does all the work in the background for cloud replication and migration.
  • Cut costs by 80% on average compared to other co-located storage solutions.
  • Connectivity and ability to snapshot in the cloud.
  • Recover disk images from 5 minutes ago in a second and only recover the live data that is immediately needed.

How has it helped my organization?

We had multiple backup scenarios and Business continuity plans. With StorSimple we can replace a lot of manual process with the automation and cloud functions built in.

What needs improvement?

I would like more options besides iSCSI. I would also like link aggregation vs MPIO.

3 Years. Provided support to other teams deploying them and maintained our deployment.

Only false alerts that needed to be read other than that after a long back and forth with support all was well. Nothing actually failed.

No, not in the entire time we have used the product.

No we could scale out by using head units and multiple controller configurations, it was never needed. As we grew Azure took on the responsibility to host more storage.

I had one issue and although it took a while to get pointed in the right direction the support people listened.

Good. The technician was knowledgeable.

Previously used Synology and Dell. There was no true cloud integration.

It was extremely straightforward. I can't think of anything complex about the setup.

We did in house it was not terribly complicated.

So far in manual processes we save about 15% of our overall IT budget now.

The only cost is in the purchase of Azure storage the device was free. There is no day-to-day cost a quarterly maintenance cost for patching is about it.

No we wanted Azure it was about finding the right solution with Azure.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple and use MPIO. You need network redundancy.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Gold Managed Partner with Microsoft and help other companies looking to use the product, we also use it ourselves for hosting our customers with MSP Services.
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
A good device for file storage

What is most valuable?

Ability to easily backup data to Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

This device has made it possible for us to almost entirely do away with Tape backup. It has good integration with Veeam but shines in file storage arena.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice for Storsimple to offer a unit with more fast disk so that it would mimic a traditional SAN more easily.

3+ years.

No issues with deployment.

Had a SSD drive go bad in one of our older units. This was replaced under our service plan, but during the rebuild process encountered a bad block in another SSD that it was reading from and downed the device hard. had to rebuild the device from scratch with support and pull down the last backup from the cloud.

No issues with scalability so far.

9 out of ten, they consistently beat service timelines.

9 out of ten

We had everything on a traditional SAN but realized that we could also help in our backup strategy by moving file data to a device like this.

Very straightforward any IT engineer could easily do it.

We evaluated a whitewater device, which was more backup oriented.

Download our free Cloud Storage Gateways Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Panzura, and more!
Updated: September 2022