IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SonicWall NSa OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall NSa is #15 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give SonicWall NSa an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SonicWall NSa is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall NSa vs Fortinet FortiGate. SonicWall NSa is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall NSa Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SonicWall NSa?

SonicWall NSa dispenses advanced threat protection using a high-performance security platform. The NSa series implements intuitive deep learning technologies in the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform to dispatch the automated real-time threat detection and deterrence enterprise organizations need today. SonicWall Network Security appliance (NSa) series is best for mid-sized organizations to distributed enterprises and data centers.

SonicWall NSa series next-generation firewalls (NFGWS) combine two very robust security ideologies to deliver advanced threat protection to keep users’ networks safe. Boosting SonicWall’s multi-engine advanced threat protection (ATP) is their Real-time Deep Memory Inspection (RTDMI™). The RTDMI intuitively identifies and stops aggressive zero-day threats and vicious malware by investigating memory directly. This real-time process allows SonicWall RTDMI to be accurate, lessen false positives and discover and alleviate malicious threats and attacks. SonicWall’s single-pass Reassembly-Free Deep Packet Inspection (RFDPI) will audit every byte of each and every packet by investigating both outbound and inbound traffic on the firewall. By combining the SonicWall Capture Cloud Platform along with on-box offerings such as intrusion prevention, web/URL filtering, and anti-malware, the NSa series is able to block the most malicious and dangerous threats at the gateway.

Additionally, SonicWall firewalls supply absolute protection by executing complete inspection and decryption of SSH and TLS/SSL encryption connections - no matter the port or protocol. The firewall takes a deep dive into each and every packet (the header and data) routing out any anomalies, zero-day intrusions, threats, and protocol non-compliance. Users can also define unique criteria specific to their organization to ensure their networks remain safe. This aggressive deep packet inspection is able to identify and block malicious attacks, stop dangerous malware downloads, prevent the spread of infections, and defeat command and control (C&C) communications and data exfiltration. Protocols involving inclusion and exclusion allow users complete control to decide, based on specific governance policies, organizational policies, or government or legal compliance, which traffic is to be investigated for decryption or inspection.

SonicWall Nsa offers enterprise organizations the network control and fluid flexibility they desire using an intrusion prevention system (IPS), VPN, real-time visualization, and other advanced powerful security features, making it a popular firewall solution in today's marketplace.

Reviews from Real Users

“The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good, and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use and provides great security.” - Network Engineer at a maritime company

“What's valuable in SonicWall NSa is the ATP (advanced threat protection). It can protect users from malicious links. SonicWall NSa also has a Sandboxing service that is very helpful for us, especially when end users accidentally click on malicious links. Another valuable feature of this solution is that it is very useful for site-to-site VPN connectivity issues. SonicWall NSa has very good hardware. I also love that SonicWall has very good technical support, who are very knowledgeable, provide good suggestions, and they're easy to reach.” - Mohammed M., Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix

SonicWall NSa was previously known as NSA 250M, NSA 2600, NSA 3600, NSA 4600, NSA 5600, Dell SonicWALL NSA.

SonicWall NSa Customers

Orange County Rescue Mission, First Source, Michaels & Taylor, Green Clinic Health System, Aspire Chiltern Skills and Enterprise Centre, UnitedStack, Faith Lutheran College Redlands, Celtic Manor Resort, Star Kay White, Air Works, Unimat Life, NHS Yorkshire and Humber Commissioning Support (YHCS), Hutt City Council, Mato Grosso do Sul, Nspyre

SonicWall NSa Video

SonicWall NSa Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall NSa pricing:
  • "SonicWall NSa has two types of license. The advanced license is a bit expensive when compared to the comprehensive license, but when you compare the advanced license to the licensing cost of other brands or competitors, it is expensive."
  • "While I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, I would estimate the licensing package was about $15,000 to $20,000 a year."
  • "SonicWall still is only a dollar or Euro per gigabit. This means, of the IPsec, it's the cheapest solution."
  • "It would be better if it has a better price, but its price is okay considering the benefits that you receive."
  • SonicWall NSa Reviews

MohammedMateen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix
    Easy to scale advanced threat protection solution with knowledgeable technical support, but has occasional bugs
    • "Easy to scale solution that provides advanced threat protection. Their technical support is very good, very knowledgeable, and easy to reach."
    • "SonicWall NSa has occasional bugs, particularly during upgrades, and that's an area for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases for SonicWall NSa are the Global VPN and the SSL VPN, because nowadays, everyone prefers to work from home, and prefers to connect from mobile applications to our organization.

What is most valuable?

What's valuable in SonicWall NSa is the ATP (advanced threat protection). It can protect users from malicious links, e.g. those sent to the end user email and is clicked by the end user, who'll be led to a bad website. SonicWall NSa has a Sandboxing service that is very helpful for us, especially when end users accidentally click on malicious links.

Another valuable feature of this solution is that it is very useful for site-to-site VPN connectivity issues.

SonicWall NSa also has very good hardware, e.g. from 2013 to 2021, only one product had a hardware failure, and within 24 hours, they were able to replace that product.

I also love that SonicWall has very good technical support, who are very knowledgeable, provides good suggestions, and they're easy to reach.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in SonicWall NSa is that sometimes, we experience bugs when upgrading, so we have to contact their technical support to fix issues.

It would be much easier if this improvement was in place: if the one-time password which is built-in, was provided as an OTP for the administrator logging into the console, so that we'll have a quicker awareness of it, rather than needing to check emails for it. Having a Telegram or WhatsApp bot integrated with the device, for example, will be very helpful for us, so we can instantly take action, without us needing to log into and check our emails, meaning we'll be able to put things right faster.

This may not be possible in SonicWall NSa, but I'm also looking for any kind of controller or device for the Windows server or client, e.g. Windows 11 and Windows 10 from SonicWall NSa itself, so that a security domain or the gateway of the organization would be able to identify the latest update for a product, whether that product is installed or not. This feature would be very helpful, and it's what I'd like to see in the next release.

I've been using SonicWall NSa since 2013.

SonicWall NSa
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SonicWall NSa performs well, but sometimes, there are bugs, so I have to call their support when this happens, and I elaborate on the problem we're facing. Support then takes the diagnostic data, fixes it, then sends back to me the firmware or the setting so I can restore my SonicWall NSa.

SonicWall NSa is easy to scale.

The technical support team for this solution is very knowledgeable. They are able to fix issues. They understand what we are facing and they suggest very good options. They provide us very good support, and on a scale of one to five, I'm giving them a four to a five for technical support.

I previously used different solutions, e.g. Sophos and Fortinet, but what I noticed is that I either couldn't find how to contact their technical support, or if I was able to call their technical support, I either get a busy tone, or it takes a long time to speak to someone. As for SonicWall support, I only had to wait 10 minutes to speak to someone, and if they accidentally drop my call, they'll immediately call me, no matter which part of the world I'm in, so I switched to SonicWall NSa.

I deployed SonicWall NSa myself. Deployment was very easy.

Last January 14th, one of my firewalls went down, so we had to replace it, but it was unfortunate that we didn't enable the local backup. At the time, what we had was the factory set up option for the device, so it took me six hours to fix, e.g. applying for the policy site to the site VPN, creating the users, etc. All those processes took a minimum of five to six hours.

I didn't use a vendor or a third party for the deployment of this solution. I only had to call their support if there was something I couldn't understand, e.g. why the traffic wasn't working, etc. For some of the processes, I took notes from their support, while for the rest of the processes, we can do it by ourselves.

SonicWall NSa has two types of license, so the cost would depend on the license.

The advanced license is a bit expensive when compared to the comprehensive license, but when you compare the advanced license to the licensing cost of other brands or competitors, it is expensive.

One good point about the more expensive license for this product it that they provide a hardware guarantee, which means direct replacement, no matter how long you've been using it, whether you've used it for two, three, five, or seven years. You can easily have your device directly replaced if it's having issues with the firewall, software, or hardware, etc. You can get this done as an end user, or as a customer. You just have to fill in and send back the application form for device replacement, provide the serial number and the model number, and that's it. They will replace your device. It's also easy for them to transfer your license to another device. SonicWall NSa is worth the money.

I evaluated Sophos and Fortinet solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The firewall products I'm using are SonicWall NSa 3600 and 2400.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

We are using a local backup, and we also enabled for my SonicWall NSa a cloud backup for all devices. We are using six firewalls, so we enabled the flow backup, with the goal of being able to restore immediately, in case of emergency.

This product doesn't require much maintenance. Our company operates 24/7, and we deal with ready-mix concrete. It depends on the production, but SonicWall NSa continuously runs 24/7. Maintenance is done monthly, particularly for upgrading the firmware, or for restarting SonicWall server patches. Maintenance of this product only takes one hour on a monthly basis.

We have 200 end users of SonicWall NSa.

I always recommend this product to my friends and colleagues. My supplier also recommends it. I suggest to them to go for SonicWall NSa, depending on the user, e.g. if you have 100 end users. We pay for the license, for example, 2,200 dirhams, so I can get the license, and also get the SonicWall SOHO device, which is the smaller one.

My rating for SonicWall NSa is seven out of ten.

Manoj Nair - PeerSpot reviewer
    Tech consultant at select softwares
    A rugged solution capable of defeating advanced threats
    • "It's very simple to use and the support is great."
    • "They should consider upgrading the capabilities within the GUI."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I work with a software dealer in the IT security business.

I deployed SonicWall for a customer just last month.

What is most valuable?

It's very simple to use and the support is great. I am in India and they have a support office here. As a company product, SonicWall firewalls and their support has been excellent.

It's a simple, rugged product. When I say rugged, mechanically, it's a very rugged box. The same thing applies to Sophos also, it's also a very rugged box. It's rugged technology, it can take a beating and still be operational.

One of the greatest strengths of the SonicWall system is that they have multiple portals for multiple tasks, whereas all the other solutions have no single tool for doing multiple tasks. That has been one major advantage of SonicWall. Regarding the SonicWall box, you need to be capable of taking multiple loads compared to the competition. That's a very unique feature of the SonicWall system. They also have an antivirus solution that is tied to their system which is called SentinelOne.

The support is very good. The product is also very reliable. There are always new, frequent updates — nothing more or less. It's very flexible; it's ready to go right out of the box, unlike some other solutions which require a lot of training. The GUI is very user-friendly. Even if you've never touched a firewall in your life, with a bit of time and practice, you'll get the hang of it.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, they should consider changing the logic of how the rules are created. Everything is spread out into multiple pockets, so to speak; it should be more condensed. The technology is sound; I am not saying that it's brilliant, but it is very sound for most mid-range uses — it does a fantastic job.

They should consider upgrading the capabilities within the GUI. The way the GUI is configured for creating rules, I would say they should consider making that a bit more flexible. That would really help a lot.

I have used SonicWall NSA for three years.

SonicWall NSA is very stable. I ran my last box for 10 years before I switched it off. 10 years is a long time for anything. If it can run for 10 years, it's stable. It's money made twice over. It might not be technologically up to speed and it may not be upgradeable, but that's a different matter.

These boxes are well-known for the amount of mechanics and users they can handle.

The initial setup is very easy.

The basic setup takes roughly half an hour. After that, when it comes to configuring the rules and dependencies, with ideal conditions, I would say that it takes roughly a week. Overall, within two to three weeks, we were in production.

Roughly 90% (50% in the worst-case scenario) of the customer's settings are ready within a couple of days from the time the box is powered up. When you power up the box, you have to set the rules. So, I implement it, engage the rules, and then ask somebody to test some of the connections and give me some feedback. That takes a bit of time, but otherwise, it only takes a couple of days until the box is ready. If you want to push it, within a week it's possible to reach roughly 90% to 95% production — the rules and the performance have to be fine-tuned which takes a little bit of time.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend SonicWall for their simplicity of use, but if you can configure SonicWall, have a look at Sophos also. Sophos has put a lot of hard work into their connections and the GUI. SonicWall's GUI is slightly lacking compared to Sophos' GUI; however, capabilities-wise, Sophos doesn't have a lead over SonicWall.

If I had to make a recommendation to a customer, I would tell them to look at both products. I would push the Sophos box because it has certain advantages, technologically, compared to SonicWall. For example, they have their own antivirus solution — the Sophos antivirus solution. It's a firewall as well and the tool will communicate with the central cloud. From the cloud instance, you can control the system.

The Sophos gateway has got allied products, like SD run connectors. You can manage the same rules between multiple firewalls because they're all connected to the same account. Overall, Sophos is superior to SonicWall.

The first requirement of a paying customer, independent of their choice of product, is to check if the technical support of the product is locally available. That's the first requirement I would give to any customer. The product may be great but if the support in your geographical region is not there, then it's not worth it.

Take Trend Micro for example. If you're a customer of Trend Micro but you're not in the immediate support region, then what happens? You will have to raise a ticket and wait, but you don't have anybody on the ground to come to your office and do an emergency scan and raise your ticket, so it's a bit of a dangerous issue. I would recommend a product that has both local technical and physical support.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SonicWall a rating of eight.

SonicWall NSa
    July 2022
    622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Manager of IT at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, easy to use, and offers good content filtering
    • "They offer good antivirus solutions."
    • "The ongoing service fees are high."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used basically a parameter firewall and to secure the company network.

What is most valuable?

The content filtering is very good.

The solution is easy to use.

They offer good antivirus solutions. It's basically a complete package.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement.

For example, the monitoring system is in need of improvement. Their monitoring system is too expensive. Most of the company doesn't apply the monitoring system as it's too expensive. Some more monitoring features should be built into the firewall device itself.

Management spends a lot of money on the device, and they want to know what is working, et cetera. To understand this, we need some reports, graphs, and figures. Without these items, management may not be convinced they are spending the money in the right way. Having reports that reflect the work done to keep the network secure would show the benefits and the ROI in a positive way that would help sell management on the product itself.

The ongoing service fees are high.

The solution could use more online educational tools to help users understand the underlying functionality of the product. Things like videos and tutorials could help a lot.

I've been working with the solution for the last nine years or so at this point. It's been almost a decade.

The solution is very stable. We can do 80% to 90% of tasks with no issues whatsoever. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale, however, in Pakistan, it's not easy not to spend so much. One device can last over five to six years. You can say scale, however, you need to have an understanding of what functionality you will need over the years. Over four to six years, the device can fulfill your requirements. After six to seven years, you can replace it with another model or another brand to meet your updated needs.

I didn't use support over the last nine years, except for handling the device replacement itself. I needed a device replacement due to some damage, and they fulfilled my request and requirements. In terms of tasks such as configuration issues, I've never actually asked for assistance for those queries and therefore could not rate how helpful or responsive they are when they cover those matters.

In the past, I have also used Fortinet and FortiGate as well as Juniper. I have 19 years of experience with various solutions. I have used multiple devices including Cisco, Juniper, FortiGate, SonicWall, and others. Basically, FortiGate and SonicWall are more or less the same types of solution. However, the SonicWall is easier to install than FortiGate.

I have deployed the solution myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

The pricing is reasonable, however, all firewalls have high prices for subscriptions for their services to cover after warranty needs for content filtering, for antiviruses, for web filtering, et cetera. All firewalls have extra prices.

After spending so much money year over year, we were surprised that we had to still pay more than the device cost just to covers services. That's why you may find that most companies stop their services and just running the firewall as a box. Most small companies stop their services just due to the high subscription fees. That said, multinationals or larger organizations likely still pay the service fees.

In places like Pakistan, a developing country, it's hard to continuously pay, as we find the continuing service fees expensive. They should work to make an exception for certain regions such as ours.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I can't remember the exact versions we are using. We may be on version 6, and the models I have used include the 2600, 2500, and 3600 series.

I'd warn new users that the box is huge. The box has multiple functionalities and most users are not trained. They can't benefit from all the functionality as they don't know that it exists. Due to the lack of knowledge, most users don't leverage additional functionalities which they should. While the solution offers good devices and reasonable pricing for the box, companies need to educate themselves on how they can best use the product to their advantage. SonicWall can help by posting more videos and sharing more information.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Systems network admin at a educational organization with 10,001+ employees
    Unstable, expensive, and technical support is too slow to respond
    • "The DPI-SSL is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's handy."
    • "We're not particularly fond of the way it generally performs. We are finding ourselves rebooting often. There are freeze-ups and that kind of thing. The stability needs to improve exponentially."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution from our firewall endpoint VPN. It does have a spam filter, SSL, DPI, and numerous other security features. We've got the full license suite.

What is most valuable?

The DPI-SSL is the solution's most valuable aspect. It's handy. It's nice.

The scalability is okay.

The initial implementation isn't too bad, once you get used to the process.

What needs improvement?

We're not happy with the device itself. We're obviously moving away from it for a reason that they're a Swiss pocket-knife of devices and they do a lot. However, nothing is really done well. They don't specialize in one thing that they excel at. They try instead to do almost everything and end up failing.

We're not particularly fond of the way it generally performs. We are finding ourselves rebooting often. There are freeze-ups and that kind of thing. The stability needs to improve exponentially.

Technical support is pretty slow to respond and escalate matters.

The cost of the solution is quite high.

The solution could use an invisible DPI-SSL or something that doesn't require a certificate rewrite. Most of the other vendors are doing that now.

The SSL VPN performance-wise is terrible.

We've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

The stability isn't the best. It freezes. We have to reboot a lot. The device just doesn't work very well.

The scalability is okay, It's marginal, however, it is possible.

We have about 300 people on-premises that use the solution.

We've been in touch with technical support, ad currently, we find them to be below average in their support capabilities. Firewall support is just adequate. Right now, with COVID and everything, you are looking at 45 minutes to an hour to get the first technician on the phone. Often it takes two or three days to get it escalated. It's slow.

I personally previously used Cisco devices at another company, and therefore I have some experience with them.

We're currently migrating away from this solution at the moment. We do not like the way the device performs.

In terms of deployment, there is a bit of a learning curve right off the top, as I come from a Cisco ASA background. It's more object-based, a little bit different. Once you get the knack of it, it's actually pretty nice in some ways.

That said, operationally, I would recommend anybody that deploys one of these to make sure they develop their own SOP for naming conventions, for objects, object groups, object types, service groups, service objects, et cetera, so that it's easier to manage and understand what you're doing. Generally speaking, it's just a best practices kind of process for administrative work. If you've got multiple admins, it's important that everything is contiguous, meaning everybody understands and works under that same parameters. It's like any other operating environment.

In terms of maintenance, there are two of us that generally manage it and maintain it on a fairly regular basis. I'm a network engineer and the department manager, who's not a system engineer, (however, is well-versed), also can perform maintenance as needed.

We handled the implementation in-house. We did not need an integrator or consultant to assist us.

While I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, I would estimate the licensing package was about $15,000 to $20,000 a year.

Your original purchase includes the purchase of the hardware, licensing, and support. It's not a cheap device.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

We are currently using the NSA 4600. It's a full security appliance. We're using the latest version of the solution.

It's our primary firewall/VPN endpoint. It's used 24/7, 365. Due to the nature of our work, uptime is critical.

Ultimately, if you were to ask me if I were to recommend this device, I would say no.

I'd rate the solution at a three out of ten, simple due to the fact that the stability isn't there, and it's an expensive solution.

Network Administrator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to scale, offers good value for money, and has good policies
    • "The functionality is the same whether it is on hardware or a virtual appliance. The interface is the same. It's nice that it's standardized."
    • "Some of the configurations could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just for IPsec tunnels. It's two routers between locations with IPsec tunnels, nothing more. We don't use their firewall capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is the same whether it is on hardware or a virtual appliance. The interface is the same. It's nice that it's standardized.

The solution is a good product with a good value for money.

The security capabilities and policies are good. They can do a lot of tasks with ease.

The product is very useful for organizations with many locations. If you've got a lot of locations, the product can save you money as you don't need a physical box at each location.

The scalability is very good as it really can cover multiple locations.

SonicWall offers NG capabilities in virtual appliances.

What needs improvement?

It's not as easy to use, as, for example, Palo Alto.

Some of the configurations could be better.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any issues so far.

The scalability is quite good. You can scale well across locations very well for not too much cost. If a company needs to expand, it can do so relatively easily.

Also, cost-wise, it's very affordable to scale up. It's not expensive to add hardware and licenses as needed. They make upgrading very cheap.

We have 200 people on the solution. That said, they are using with IPsec tunnel. They don't use all of the capabilities of the hardware. They are using it just to encrypt tunneling between the sites.

We may not continue to sue the solution as we have found a solution that is better and that can help us get faster than IPsec can. We're looking instead at MACsec.

I've never opened up a technical support case with the product. It's worked quite well, and we haven't run into trouble that would require us to reach out. I can't really speak to how helpful or responsive they are due to the fact that I have no experience with them.

We've also worked with Palo Alto, Barracuda, and Sophos.

Palo Alto is more expensive to use and to scale. Sophos is very easy to set up. Barracuda also has NG capabilities, like SonicWall, and has the same limitations in terms of security policies. It also can take a bit longer to set up.

I have ten years of IT experience, and therefore, for me, the entire implementation process was not overly difficult. They have good manuals that you can read through at the start. It's not a difficult process, especially if you are already comfortable with the technology.

Of course, it's not quite as straightforward as something like Sophos, which you can just plug in and have the vendor configure for you. However, that said, it's not too difficult.

Due to the fact that we've got some projects now, we might abandon IPsec, as we had two Blade fibers with separate paths to a secondary location and we will start using MACsec. It's a layer 2 security. Therefore, we don't need IPsec anymore.

Originally, actually, we bought it without any licenses, just boxes with IPsec capabilities.

The pricing, in comparison to some solutions, such as Palo Alto, is much better.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. I tell everybody, if your business is a lot of locations and not so many personal policies, to check the SonicWall portfolio. You can configure it with two boxes and if you need to you can scale it without any trouble into the tens or hundreds.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Director Comercial at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stable and easy to deploy with useful deep packet inspection and intelligent application control features
    • "Deep packet inspection and intelligent application control are the most valuable features. It is a very updated solution. It is very current as compared to other brands and vendors."
    • "I would like to have a built-in vulnerability scanner in the firewall. It would be great to have such functionality. Its price could also be better. It would also be good to have a local warehouse. It doesn't get damaged a lot, but if a customer needs a replacement, currently, it has to come from Miami or Mexico, which can take a few days. It would be better if they have a local warehouse from where we can just pick replacements and quickly solve a client's needs in terms of replacing equipment. It would be great to have it locally instead of waiting for it from Mexico or the USA."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to secure the perimeter of our company. We use all the integrated features of this Next-Generation Firewall. We are using NSA 3650.

How has it helped my organization?

The bandwidth consumption of the company has improved since we took control and restricted the music on YouTube being accessed on office computers. A lot of computers in the company were streaming, and we used the intelligent application control feature to control that.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a built-in vulnerability scanner in the firewall. It would be great to have such functionality. Its price could also be better.

It would also be good to have a local warehouse. It doesn't get damaged a lot, but if a customer needs a replacement, currently, it has to come from Miami or Mexico, which can take a few days. It would be better if they have a local warehouse from where we can just pick replacements and quickly solve a client's needs in terms of replacing equipment. It would be great to have it locally instead of waiting for it from Mexico or the USA.

I have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

It is stable. We have been representing SonicWall in Panama for approximately seven years. Our customers usually don't need any help from us. We don't have any customer attacks or downtime because of the lack of features in the product. It has been a very good experience.

SonicWall has 12 different models for enterprises and service providers. They have a wide range of models to meet the needs of customers of all sizes.

We have all kinds of clients. We have service providers, and we have small, medium, and big companies as clients. In the biggest company, there are 25,000 users. It is a university here in Panama.

It is always there when we need it. They have a very good service.

Customers usually had FortiGate or WatchGuard. Those are the two major brands that we have replaced with SonicWall.

SonicWall is being represented by us here in Panama. FortiGate is a very strong solution here in Panama, but we're trying to get them out of our way. Price is the biggest thing that we might use to replace them.

Support from the vendor is also a big thing here. WatchGuard has no representatives in Panama. They have no presence, so, it is very easy to replace them, but FortiGate is a difficult one to replace.

It is straightforward. It has a wizard, and you just follow the steps.

It took us one month because our personnel had to be trained. We need two or three people for its deployment. It is not that demanding on services.

We implemented it with the assistance of SonicWall.

It would be better if it has a better price, but its price is okay considering the benefits that you receive.

What other advice do I have?

The operating system of all boxes is pretty much the same for enterprises as well as small businesses. It has the same behavior from the smallest model to the biggest one, which is a major advantage of SonicWall.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

Director of IT at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Easy to configure and maintain with the capability to scale
    • "The most valuable aspect of the solution is its ability to work like any other firewall."
    • "We still get phishing emails that manage to come through from time to time."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for just securing our users and creating a LAN through VPN tunnels. We use it to provide remote access to a cloud service.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to work remotely when the order to shelter in place went into effect in March of this year due to COVID-19.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is its ability to work like any other firewall.

The product is pretty easy to configure. It's easy to maintain and it works well with Windows.

There are features that offer 3G, 4G, failover, wireless, and things like that are very good. I'm not a firewall expert, however, in my opinion, the solution pretty much covers the needs of small and medium businesses.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I just have the basic modules turned on. I'd love to see how it works in terms of preventing more malware from getting through.

We still get phishing emails that manage to come through from time to time.

The solution could use a bit more security.

We had issues with the VPN tunnel between two sites. It wouldn't stay up. That was a problem for us. They need to fix it if they find it happens across the board to other customers.

This company has been using the solution for good three years.

The solution is stable. I've had one running for a little over 300 days without any problem. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is pretty good. I can scale out and add a firewall within a new office if I need to. If an organization wants to scale, they should be able to do so with no problems. Everyone working in our office uses the solution. Anybody that has a work laptop that needs to remote work from outside the office can do so as well. It's 100% used across the board.

I had to call support when one of my VPNs was failing. The VPN tunnel between two sites wouldn't stay up and they had us use a different security protocol.

They were very helpful. I found them to be quite responsive and knowledgeable. I don't think the problem with the VPN should have been there in the first place, however, that said, they did help us. I'd rate them, overall, at a nine out of ten.

The initial setup isn't too complex. My understanding is that it's straightforward. I didn't set it up myself, however, it's got configuration wizards to walk a user through. This no doubt is quite helpful and makes it pretty simple in terms of implementation.

The pricing is pretty reasonable. We don't find it to be overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The version we are using is NSA 20 or 60.

If a company is looking for a good product that's easy to configure, I would suggest they consider SonicWall.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. If we didn't have that trouble with the VPN tunnel, I would give it a perfect score.

President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    A reliable firewall but other options should be considered
    • "It's very flexible and meets our customer's needs."
    • "You can do zero-trust networking with them, but it's not easy."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly our customers use this solution as a general firewall.

Currently, our most popular firewall is Fortinet FortiGate 40F. We do have all the way up to 100's, but most of our customers are small, medium-sized businesses.

We have a FortiAnalyzer that resides on Azure and we're getting a FortiManager because of the new capability to roll them out based on the serial number

With FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer, you have many more capabilities than you do with SonicWall.

How has it helped my organization?

I wouldn't say that. If it has no impact on them, it's doing its job correctly.

What is most valuable?

There are no specific features that you can say are better than anything else. It's very flexible and it meets our customer's needs.

What needs improvement?

The Fortinet Firewall is not the easiest firewall to maintain, nor is to set up and configure. Checkpoint and Sonos are much easier.

SonicWall, from my point of view is the same category as Fortinet. Checkpoint and Sonos are easier to use, but they don't have as many features as SonicWall.

You can do zero-trust networking with SonicWall, but it's not easy. Also, their desktop anti-virus sucks.

I have been using SonicWall since it was Netscreen — which was years ago.

When you buy it based on the load that you expect to use, there are no scalability issues, unless you swap them out.

SonicWall has exceptional tech support. I would rate checkpoint support best, SonicWall next, and Fortinet would be third. I would give SonicWall's tech support a rating of 7.5 to eight.

The structure of dealing with them is good. Once you get through to a support person, the support is very good. But getting through, getting to the point where you have someone on the line can be difficult.

Overall, they're good at their job and they speak English.

The level of tech support varies: sometimes you get lucky and they're exceptional, and sometimes it's somebody that isn't that good.

If you don't set it up correctly, you are putting your customer's network at risk. They still haven't fixed a lot of the little issues that Dell introduced into the product line, but they're trying.

There are settings that if you don't set them correctly, you could potentially jeopardize your customer's network.

SonicWall is probably easier to set up than Fortinet.

The pricing of SonicWall is still in line with Fortinet and Checkpoint. Personally, if I were presented with a decision between SonicWall, Checkpoint, or Fortinet, it would be a no-brainer.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in SonicWall, consider checkpoint or Fortinet first.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

They don't have independent testing. They haven't been independently rated — or another way to put it: Gardner rates them poorly. Because of this, we can't sell SonicWall to customers as easily as we can sell Fortinet or Checkpoint.

Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022