IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Siebel OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Siebel?
Siebel Customers
Hover Automotive India, Smiles, Bouygues Telecom, Abu Dhabi Judicial Department, Lawn Tennis Association Boosts Tennis, Southwest Airlines
Siebel Video

Archived Siebel Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user495873 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
I like the assignment management and contact management features. I would like them to extend the possibility for functional segregation.

What is most valuable?

I have found the assignment management and contact management features the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

With the implementation of the "assignment manager," we are now able to automate assignment rules that we previously had in "hard." This feature allows us greater flexibility when incorporating new assignment rules.

What needs improvement?

Extending the possibility for functional segregation would allow us to decentralize certain functions between different areas.

In our organization, the administration of users (or executives who access the system) is done by an area. The management of executive skills is performed by another area, according to the current Siebel. These roles should not be independent.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is good.

We did not have a different solution.

The initial setup was complex. The degree of parameterization required for the initial setup was not made obvious. While I do not consider a high degree of parameterization bad, and it might in fact be good, it increases the initial setup's complexity.

I would give different advice depending on the company's size. If the company is large, then the cost of Siebel licensing is something that can be paid for. But if you investigate a little, there are several solutions in the market that do not cover this capacity.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Look at other alternatives in the market depending on what they need. There are a variety of solutions that can contribute to a specific need.

Mario Treviño Salazar - PeerSpot reviewer
We're able to customize the business rules with code and to integrate it with middleware applications to manage the rules externally. The interactions with social networks can’t be managed with it.

What is most valuable?

Siebel's most valuable feature is the web interface. As far as CRM's go, it's a very flexible solution, and we're able to customize the business rules with code and to integrate it with middleware applications to manage the rules externally. In our case, we've integrated all our BSS and OSS applications with Siebel using TIBCO v5.6.

The application itself contains complete functionalities needed to manage the interactions with clients -- quotes, opportunities, and offers. Also, we can register the interactions with our clients.

We have another instance of Siebel CRM (7.8) and in that case we have integrated also with Tibco BW 5.9 and we are currently using other products from Tibco for developing the BPM processes related (Tibco iDecisions as BPM).

How has it helped my organization?

We manage all of our client records and interactions currently with Siebel. We generate within Siebel all of our provisioning and billing orders and send it through our middleware to our billing and provisioning applications, as I mentioned above, we use mainly Tibco BW as our middleware platform.

What needs improvement?

The interactions with social networks can’t be managed with this application, so we can’t consolidate all our interactions in one place, so you can integrate an Omnichannel solution to cover that missing feature.

I've been using it for 11 years.

We've been able to configure Siebel with practically no issues, but you have to have your servers well tunned to avoid any issued.

The key is to have a good team of experts.

We have had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

7/10

7/10

We used a legacy application that we developed internally. We migrated to Siebel because the number of clients started to grow and we needed to scale our CRM capabilities and to cover the growing needs.

There was a problem during the initial setup, but it was more related with the customization and integration with other applications. Because we had to create all the interfaces, we didn’t have preloaded integrations in the product.

We did it in-house, but I was a lot of effort (about two years) to have the first implementation.

Pricing is very high.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate the size of your company. Siebel is for big enterprises because it’s not cheap.

Use a partner to do the implementation or use Oracle Services to be sure that you are implementing it with the best practices and to minimize the effort to upgrade the product in the future.

Try not to customize a lot the product, try to use it as vanilla as posible, it will cost you more to upgrade it in the future if you customize a lot.

Mario Treviño Salazar - PeerSpot reviewer
Mario Treviño SalazarSolution Architect for New Products and Services at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Top 10LeaderboardReal User

Hello, talking about the business rules there are a couple of ways of implementing it...
In my experience we have implemented business rules with code (you could use it with workflows and scripts in Siebel) or you could use an external tool. Oracle has a tool for business rules which is part of SOA Suite:

Following I am including another article talking about implementing business Rules in Siebel 8.x

I hope that it helps, have a good week.

Felix Maximiliano Obes - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
It provides end-to-end customer management, from marketing all the way to support. Project management is lacking.

Valuable Features:

Siebel Analytics and the contact management features. This feature is the BI engine built for easy reporting and dashboards to visualize all phases of the customer´s lifecycle and devise the right strategies. The Asset and Product modules are separated and comply with most requirements out of the box for a typical CRM implementation. Also, the Contacts feature is very powerful even allowing for bulk email sending. Campaign and opportunities were used to calculate TOV and worked marvelously well.

Improvements to My Organization:

It provides end to end customer management, from marketing all the way to support, meaning you also have sales, product management, literature, asset management, opportunity analysis, maintenance SLA compliance, and support, with all the common features present on modern CRMs including phone sync and email merge capabilities. It allows us to generate insights on any point of the customer retention lifecycle and pinpoint where the problems and opportunities are.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to be able to get automated document versioning, and also the project management part it is lacking.

Stability Issues:

The stability and reliance pay off.

Initial Setup:

Deployment is still considered cumbersome and the integrations are quite an expense.

Other Advice:

If you have the environment already setup and have already acquired the licenses then go ahead. But do not hesitate, the other options out there will always be cheaper and easier to implement, but we chose Siebel because we needed certainty that we could handle sales and support for all of the worlds travel agencies, airlines, airports, hotels and cruises.

it_user331458 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Oracle Applications & Fusion Middleware Technical Consultant / Architect at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides a single repository for all customers with no need for individual systems maintaining their own customer databases, though it needs more flexible data cleansing and data-matching handlers.

What is most valuable?

Being a single source of information, this provides an authoritative source of information. One of the most valuable feature is its ability to use the information in a consistent way. A suite of services can be created around this master data, allowing the data to be integrated seamlessly into business processes and analytical environments.

How has it helped my organization?

In our environment, we have used Siebel as the primary source for customer management. There are multiple channels by which customer data can be created or updated including UM, Call Center, Mobile and other legacy systems. By having Siebel in place, there is one single repository for all customers. There is no need for individual systems to maintain their own customer database.

What needs improvement?

More flexible data cleansing and data-matching handlers.

I've used it for over four years.

There were some functional issues caused by using an old version of Informatica Identity Resolution for data quality matching purposes.

As a vendor, Oracle are very good.

No, we have not used any other solution. Since we have Siebel CRM as a call center solution along with SOA suite for integration purposes. We considered this solution as the go to product for data management.

As its Oracle Siebel Products, it’s very complex in comparison with other MDM products, as well as a requirements for data quality, for which we use an Informatica product.

We used a mixed team of third-party contractors and a team from Oracle.

We are in the process of leveraging the cost of implementation by bringing in other systems to integrate with MDM for customer management.

It is a very expensive product and data steward module is very complex.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful product if implemented strategically.

Top 10LeaderboardReal User

In our particular case we do the integration using Tibco BW and in some cases we use SOA Suite.
I agree that Siebel provides a good repository for centralizing customer information.

it_user327537 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Global Customer Data with 1,001-5,000 employees
This product has allowed us to disambiguate customers and manage the multiple source records.

Valuable Features

• Linkage to D&B data
  • Merging of customer records

Improvements to My Organization

This product has allowed us to disambiguate customers and manage the multiple source records that make up that customer record.

Room for Improvement

Honestly, Elsevier had many challenges around the implementation of customer MDM, but this product did not contribute to those challenges.

Use of Solution

I've used it for four years.

There were issues, mostly due to the lack of capability of the implementation partner who delivered the solution.

I have always found the Oracle staff very responsive and supportive of any of my questions.

It was complex beyond necessity due to the inability of the implementation partner.

Implementation Team

Implementation was through a vendor team. Any implementation team needs to be at least 25% internal development (not management) resources.

Other Solutions Considered

No, this product was available to Elsevier because of a master agreement between Elsevier and Oracle.

Other Advice

I found that this product had the ability to meet our business needs. During my tenure at Elsevier we were unable to leverage the full potential of this product, but based on the features I am aware of, this product is robust and flexible.

It requires a solid flexible integration strategy.

it_user326736 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It provides both data deduplication and application flexibility for business rules, yet the business rules for data deduplication could be improved.

What is most valuable?

• Data migration
  • Data deduplication
  • Application flexibility with respect to business rules

What needs improvement?

Business rules for data duplication can be improved.

I've used it for three years.

8/10.

8/10.

We did not implement a previous solution.

Initial setup was straightforward.