We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

SAS Enterprise Guide OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Enterprise Guide is #2 ranked solution in top Data Preparation Tools. PeerSpot users give SAS Enterprise Guide an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAS Enterprise Guide is most commonly compared to Alteryx: SAS Enterprise Guide vs Alteryx. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is SAS Enterprise Guide?

SAS Enterprise Guide is a point-and-click, menu- and wizard-driven tool that empowers users to analyze data and publish results. It provides fast-track learning for quick data analysis, generates code for productivity and speeds your ability to deploy analyses and forecasts in real time.

SAS Enterprise Guide Buyer's Guide

Download the SAS Enterprise Guide Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

SAS Enterprise Guide Customers

Canary Islands Statistics Institute

SAS Enterprise Guide Video

SAS Enterprise Guide Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAS Enterprise Guide pricing:
  • "In general, SAS has high prices, which is a reason why some clients don't use SAS solutions. The licensing is on a yearly basis."
  • "It is very expensive. We have a basic license, and there are many features that are not available with the basic version."
  • "Management liked it a lot because the license per seat was cheaper than a traditional SAS environment."
  • SAS Enterprise Guide Reviews

Head Of Analytics at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy-to-use with a drag-and-drop querying feature, this fine tool still lags in visualization and machine learning
    • "The product has a drag-and-drop feature that is excellent for business users and that makes it easy-to-use."
    • "The product is missing a visualization component so we have to use a separate tool for visualization."
    • "Machine learning is not utilized and that could enhance the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for data analysis and investigations.

What is most valuable?

I think that the ease of use is the most valuable feature. I know SQL. I even taught SQL. But new people who come to the tool without in-depth knowledge of SQL or people who do not have an analytics background can still use the tool. It is very easy for these new users to climb the learning curve using SAS Enterprise Guide because of the way it was created with ease-of-use in mind. It is well-oriented to the business user.

In no time new users are able to create workflows. Obviously, it is best if they have some basic knowledge of how things work in doing analysis — like the concept of joins, data profiling, and maybe some other SQL-related concepts. But the key here is they do not need to know how it is coded or the exact commands. All the features are available within Enterprise Guide through a drag-and-drop interface so queries can be built without extensive knowledge of how that works behind the scenes.

The ease-of-use makes the tool valuable even for someone who is near the beginner level.

What needs improvement?

I think machine learning should be added to the product. It already has virtually everything from the data wrangling perspective. Machine learning concepts could further enhance the user experience and the results.

The concept of visualization could also be added because, currently, we need to use a separate tool. We use Business Objects for data visualizations.

Competing products — like in case of Alteryx that is just in trial versions for now — has both machine learning concepts as well as some of the visualization capabilities within the data profiling features. SAS Guide will have to have these features to keep up with competing products and their capabilities.

If these elements do pan out properly in Alteryx, I may like it better than SAS Enterprise Guide overall. I have a data science background but the more advanced data science features are new in these products and they are very useful in analytics.

So SAS should work on ML (Machine Learning) features, visualizations, and even more on ease-of-use. It is good but everything can get better.

I have been working with SAS Enterprise Guide for six years.

We have not yet had any stability issues with the product. First of all, it is working well. Secondly, on the hardware side, we thought that we need to have more resources, so we did a capacity planning exercise involving SAS. They gave us some recommendations to improve our environment moving forward. We are installing a new setup on new hardware based on those recommendations. This should maintain our current level of stability and maybe enhance performance.

I feel that SAS has a good foundation. It has not given us a lot of problems when it comes to performance. We were being proactive. It works really well in combination with Teradata, but there is a lot of room for performance optimization with both tools.

Using both platforms — and by that I mean featuring both SAS and Teradata — we do get our data out. In telco, the data volumes are huge, but even though that is the case we do not usually get stuck or experience stability issues.

There are a lot of ways to get the performance optimization you need from products, get the work done, and delegate your time. It takes evaluation and revisions to accomplish those goals.

There are many more business users in our organization, but there are only about seven people who really use Enterprise Guide as technical people. We do not see much of a problem with scalability for either group of users.

Technical support is good. Whenever we have a problem, we have technical support sessions. It can be improved, I believe, but I would say that it is not bad either. It works for us.

We do use other tools on occasion although we are presently focused on Enterprise Guide as our core in analytics. Ultimately the goal is to get the best results in the easiest way. If that requires changing tools, that may be necessary. Right now we are using SAS along with Teradata.

The initial setup is a bit complex. For the guest access setup, that is something that we do ourselves. But when it comes to the server installation, that is where we require support from SAS. When it comes to the server installation, the configuration is usually done by SAS themselves. The setup is something that is certainly too complex for business users or people who do not have a technical background. It is usually good to involve SAS even if you are going to an upgrade. It can just make things go more smoothly and keep from wasting time with unnecessary issues.

We just have one guy for the maintenance of the system. If there is a problem, then he can rely on support. There is only one guy because the product is pretty stable.

What other advice do I have?

When looking at different tools on the market for data analysis what you need depends on what you want to do. If you have a portfolio within your organization, you may feel that you will need a lot of other tools in addition to make a proper analysis. SAS is a broader solution. It is not just the Enterprise Guide. It has marketing automation and there is even stream processing. Then there is Enterprise Miner. Enterprise Guide is a suite and not just a one-dimensional tool.

If you feel that you are ready to make an investment and you need the capability of advanced analytics within your organization, you will be able to utilize the whole tech stack with Enterprise Guide. If that is the case, then obviously I think you should go for SAS because it is a more mature and evolved product than most other products. In addition, the opportunities for integration with the SAS platform is really good.

If you need a specialty architecture, you have Alteryx on one side and you have SAS on the other side. If you do go with Alteryx, then you have a separate campaign management tool and you may not be able to get the full benefit of an integrated solution.

People considering SAS Enterprise Guide should also look at Alteryx. It is pretty simple. Some people on my team feel that Alteryx is actually much easier to use for what they do and that its interface is much better even if it is similar to Enterprise Guide. The overall availability of different kinds of features is much better in Alteryx.

I think the first step of evaluating potential solutions should be to look at your roadmap. If you want to go start simple, then obviously you can start with any tool. But if you have a roadmap in place or if you are not a beginner, then I would suggest going for one integrated platform as a suite rather than multiple tools. Having an integrated solution is probably a better overall.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Enterprise Guide as a seven overall. It is a good product but it lacks some important features other products are coming out with.

Monica Besleaga
    SAS Application Architect at a computer software company
    Easy to extend, stable, has a lot of functionalities, and doesn't require coding skills
    • "Filter and sort query builder is valuable. The ability to do advanced SAS programming is also a useful feature because we can do anything by using Enterprise Guide. It has a lot of functionalities. We can build ETL processes. There are clients who are using SAS Enterprise Guide to build ETL processes. They have a SAS-based program that is scheduled to run at a certain frequency to produce some reports for the business. It is a very useful tool for ETL unit tests and functional tests. You can also do data science projects in SAS Enterprise Guide by using different statistics. During my MBA, we used SAS Enterprise Guide for our statistic course. To query the data, there are many solutions such as SQL, but these tools are only a part of the integration. They are only useful for querying the data and require knowledge of SQL, so they are not suitable for business users. SAS Enterprise Guide can be very easily used by business users to filter and sort the data and build queries. It is not necessary to have coding skills to use SAS Enterprise Guide. For this reason, it is attractive for businesses."
    • "Our data warehouse is built on the Netezza database. We have SAS BI, and we populate the Netezza database. When we have tables with, for example, a hundred million rows in Netezza, SAS Enterprise Guide doesn't work. It doesn't return any results. It works for around 30 to 40 million rows, but it is not working for anything more than that. This issue is only with the Netezza database. With Oracle, it is quite good. They can improve its performance with the Netezza database. There should be one unique tool that includes SAS Data Integration Studio and SAS Enterprise Guide for more integration capabilities. With SAS Enterprise Guide, it is not possible to create connections and libraries and build transformations that can be used for other projects. This tool should have all capabilities that SAS Enterprise Guide does not have. Such a tool would be perfect because it will be used by developers and business users at the same time. In addition to the integration capabilities, they should also provide more deployment capabilities. There should be an option to easily create SAS packages and export them from one environment to another. There could also be a possibility to connect with R and Python. Open-source tools are hot in the market nowadays, and it would be good to extend its capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using this solution for testing purposes. I am working for a pharmaceutical company in Belgium, and we are building a data warehouse by using SAS Data Integration Studio, and we are using SAS Enterprise Guide to test our development. We are building Enterprise Guide projects by using query builder, filters, and other things. We have also built stored procedures. Sometimes, we also write SAS base code to perform unit tests after development and to do some sanity checks to respond to UAT questions. Overall, we are using the majority of functionalities of SAS Enterprise Guide.

How has it helped my organization?

A client has used SAS Enterprise Guide to build an ETL process that involves extracting and transforming the data and producing reports. These reports are very crucial and useful for their monthly and daily activities. By using SAS Enterprise Guide, they are able to deal with end-to-end processes for their business.

What is most valuable?

Filter and sort query builder is valuable. The ability to do advanced SAS programming is also a useful feature because we can do anything by using Enterprise Guide.

It has a lot of functionalities. We can build ETL processes. There are clients who are using SAS Enterprise Guide to build ETL processes. They have a SAS-based program that is scheduled to run at a certain frequency to produce some reports for the business. It is a very useful tool for ETL unit tests and functional tests. You can also do data science projects in SAS Enterprise Guide by using different statistics. During my MBA, we used SAS Enterprise Guide for our statistic course.

What needs improvement?

Our data warehouse is built on the Netezza database. We have SAS BI, and we populate the Netezza database. When we have tables with, for example, a hundred million rows in Netezza, SAS Enterprise Guide doesn't work. It doesn't return any results. It works for around 30 to 40 million rows, but it is not working for anything more than that. This issue is only with the Netezza database. With Oracle, it is quite good. They can improve its performance with the Netezza database.

There should be one unique tool that includes SAS Data Integration Studio and SAS Enterprise Guide for more integration capabilities. With SAS Enterprise Guide, it is not possible to create connections and libraries and build transformations that can be used for other projects. This tool should have all capabilities that SAS Enterprise Guide does not have. Such a tool would be perfect because it will be used by developers and business users at the same time.

In addition to the integration capabilities, they should also provide more deployment capabilities. There should be an option to easily create SAS packages and export them from one environment to another. There could also be a possibility to connect with R and Python. Open-source tools are hot in the market nowadays, and it would be good to extend its capabilities.

I have been using this solution since 2005. It has been almost 16 years.

It is very stable.

It is easy to extend for fast data integration functionalities. We have around 1,000 users. They are developers, business analysts, and project managers.

In terms of usage, my clients don't have any plans to expand its usage.

They are responsive and very good. They respond within a day of creating a ticket.

It is not quite easy to deploy. When we worked on the SAS migration project, the migration to Enterprise Guide was quite difficult. The deployment duration depends on the project. Generally, it would take a few days to solve all the issues.

For the SAS migration project, we worked with the SAS Belgium team. With their help, it was okay, but it should be easier.

In general, SAS has high prices, which is a reason why some clients don't use SAS solutions. The licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a very good tool for outputs from different domains, such as ETL reporting, data science, etc. It would be good to bring more functionalities similar to Data Integration Studio so that we have one single tool.

I would rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SAS Enterprise Guide. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Finance System & Process Senior Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Saved us in manpower; no longer necessary to have a dedicated data team
    • "The Query Builder is very valuable."
    • "For some of the advanced functions, you need to learn some SAS code to get what you want."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to analyze the sales data of our company. We have an in-house database that has all data relating to our agents and our production. I use it when I want to have a quick check on the data. I'm the finance system and process senior manager in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

I think that this solution is a good start to get into the data analysis field. The license for this is not per user so anyone who wants to use the product can approach it, and can take a look at it, rather than it involving a lengthy process. If the solution was per user, we would need to take into consideration whether it was necessary for a particular user to access it. I think that's how it changed our business. Previously we had a dedicated data team, so every request needed to be sent via them. Now the solution is open to everyone in the company so they can get on board with all the data analysis.

What is most valuable?

I think the Query Builder is very valuable. You just need to track and drop, everything is on the interface, without the need of too much coding.

What needs improvement?

For improvement, I think the user interface is too complicated. For some of the advanced functions, you need to learn some SAS code in order to get what you want. I'm ideally looking for is something that is purely code free and user friendly, which doesn't require any kind of programming.

For additional features I really want something that can make it easier for me to schedule the programs. I do know that SAS now has a solution to schedule the program, but if it could be something built-in within the SAS Enterprise Guide, that would be great.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

I think it is quite stable. In some circumstances, such as suddenly losing internet connection, it might return an error and you need to restart the whole program in order to make it work.
    Sometimes some data can be lot but overall I think that the stability is good.

Due to the subscription mechanism, everyone in the company can use it so it's very good in terms of scalability.

I haven't needed to contact technical support because they have a very large online community for support and I can easily find the answers to what I need just by using Google.

I think initial setup is quite straightforward but if you compare it to say, Access, then  it's more complicated to use than other, more traditional tools.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone implementing this solution should check the online manual where they have very good information on how best to use the product. Whenever you have a problem that needs to use a data solution, you can just do a quick Google, and add in the link to that website, and it can show you a lot of solutions. There are also free education manuals and training courses from SAS itself. It's worth taking a look at the SAS programming essential one, and get used to this product.

Always save your data!

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Karima TOUATI
    Actuarial Analyst at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reliable, powerful for working with large data sets, and saves time
    • "We are able to work on the server, and I can copy a data set and share it with someone in my team. Similarly, if I want some data from them, I can get it. Being able to work on the server and being able to switch from one user to another is a good thing. It is reliable and powerful, and its community is very wide."
    • "They should provide more information for the errors or logs. Currently, it gives you just the error message without explaining anything."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for programming. When we import data sets or databases, we work with data management and program scripts, etc. We have its basic license.

How has it helped my organization?

We work with large data sets that cannot be handled in Excel. SAS gives us the opportunity and the privilege to work with large data sets. It is very easy with SAS, and it saves time. For example, if I want to use the same data with Excel, it would take a whole day, but with SAS, I can do it in two or three hours at the most.

What is most valuable?

We are able to work on the server, and I can copy a data set and share it with someone in my team. Similarly, if I want some data from them, I can get it. Being able to work on the server and being able to switch from one user to another is a good thing.

It is reliable and powerful, and its community is very wide.

What needs improvement?

They should provide more information for the errors or logs. Currently, it gives you just the error message without explaining anything.

I have been working with this solution for two years. I use it daily for my work.

It is reliable.

It is scalable. It can handle large data sets. There is no problem with that.

Currently, we have a team of five people. I have a manager and other colleagues. All of us don't have the same role. We all handle data, but we have different diplomas. I work as an actuarial analyst, statistics engineer, and data analyst.

I am not sure if we have a contact for technical support from them, but there is a big community of SAS.

We used the open-source product R, which is not exactly similar. We switched because it was a part of our strategy to use SAS. In terms of time response, R is not very powerful. SAS is more powerful in terms of data management., and someone who is not very experienced with programming can use the UI.

I was not involved in the initial setup. Its maintenance and administration are handled by IT, but they're not very well-trained in this solution. It is a new one for them, and sometimes, we do get stuck because they are not very experienced with this solution and its features.

It is very expensive. We have a basic license, and there are many features that are not available with the basic version.

What other advice do I have?

You must have a basic background in programming, such as SQL programming, to use it easily.

I would rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.

Gerald Zuckier
    Cenior Healthcare Economic Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Exporting a data set in Unix to an Excel spreadsheet on a PC is a simple task. Not enough real estate to display the flow chart and dependencies without a lot of scrolling.
    • "Areas where SAS EG does a better job than regular SAS are in the realm of importing and exporting data. For instance, exporting a SAS data set in Unix to an Excel spreadsheet on a PC is a simple task compared to doing the same task with Base SAS."
    • "I had difficulty with the diagrammatic flow chart style representation of projects. When projects got too large and complex (which was basically every project, except the most trivial). There just wasn't enough real estate to display the flow chart and dependencies without a lot of scrolling, even when a flow was down to minimum tasks. My recourse was making the flow less "atomic". E.g., rather than use the various subset, etc., tasks as program nodes to display the details, I would write chunks of code that did a few things and use them as SAS program nodes."

What is our primary use case?

Mostly accessing medical claims data from mainframe warehouses, plus occasional spreadsheets, etc. Aggregating and scoring according to specified algorithms and identifying medical practitioners who are statistical outliers with respect to certain procedures.

Loading results of these analyses into Microsoft SQL Server and writing queries for access by users without SAS licenses.

Running SAS EG on a networked Windows PC, connected to a SAS Grid on a Unix network, accessing data warehouses in Teradata.

How has it helped my organization?

In general, for large complex programs, I found myself wishing I had access to the base SAS environment.

People did not use the EG specific features, just writing long programs in Base SAS, using EG to launch them.

Also, I could never get the ability to run code in parallel on the SAS Grid. For instance, long running data pulls from multiple databases, when working, were slow when running the entire program sequentially in Base SAS.

What is most valuable?

The usual virtues of drag and drop style interfaces with a flow chart-like depiction of the project and the ability to separate the project into individual flows, i.e., one for the slow data pulls from the databases, a second for data crunching, and a third for the outputting to the PC. The ability to copy the underlying SAS code from a node and modify it and/or reuse it elsewhere, and also the built-in versioning of program code stored in the project, is very useful for something that is run periodically and frequently updated.

The ability to include it as part of the project code housed on either the PC or the UNIX box is handy, although EG doesn't provide the ability to version the code.

Three years.

Francisco Aparicio
    Advisor at KPMG
    Useful resources for the query builder, user friendly, and plenty of features
    • "The solution is user-friendly, the resource for the query builder is very useful, and the ability to explore the data is a benefit."
    • "There needs to be a community of SAS Enterprise Guide users for assistance. For example, as they do for Python or SQL."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for programming, data manipulation, and query building.

What is most valuable?

I feel I use maybe a 10th of the potential of the solution. It has a lot of features for reporting and data, with a lot of exploration you can do. There are many research areas that give you logistical information about the data.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be a community of SAS Enterprise Guide users for assistance. For example, as they do for Python or SQL.

The interface could be simplified to allow quicker tool access and usage.

I have been using this solution within the last 18 months.

The solution has been stable. However, we have had some clients having connection problems.

The solution is really scalable.

Sometimes you have to rely on support, and that is a bit time-consuming. They take a while to respond to an inquiry. We are left to use the internet for answers.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, it depends on the use case that they want to use it for. I am not sure of the price of the solution which could play a big role in if it is useful enough to purchase at the price. It is a solid solution in my experience.

I rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.