Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SAP Data Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Data Services is #1 ranked solution in top Data Quality tools and #7 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Data Services an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP Data Services is most commonly compared to Azure Data Factory: SAP Data Services vs Azure Data Factory. SAP Data Services is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
SAP Data Services Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Data Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SAP Data Services?

You cannot afford to run your business on questionable data. With SAP® Data Services software, you can access, transform, and connect data to fuel your critical business processes. Together, these enterprise-class solutions enable data integration and data quality, providing the right level of insight across your business so you can make better decisions and operate more effectively.

SAP Data Services was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Data Services, SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator, BusinessObjects Data Integrator.

SAP Data Services Customers

EMC Corporation, LivePerson, Eldorado, Mozzart, The VELUX Group, AOK Bundesverband, Hilti Group, Nissha Printing Company Ltd., Asian Paints, Aareal Bank Group, Migros Group

SAP Data Services Video

SAP Data Services Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Data Services pricing:
  • "At the entry level, if you're using it only for data integration, it is a little bit cheap. However, for large organizations it can be expensive. There are additional costs apart from the license."
  • "The price of SAP Data Services is a little high when compared to other solutions. Due to the pricing and capabilities, many clients are switching to other solutions."
  • "Its pricing is as per the enterprise agreement and not a concern for us."
  • SAP Data Services Reviews

Michael Lutz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Data Warehouse Developer at Fox Chase Cancer Center
    It's a powerful tool that does a lot, but it has its annoyances
    • "Data Services' table comparison mechanism is very powerful. It's pretty hard to find a similar feature in other solutions."
    • "Source code control is another headache. When your source code base gets too large, managing the source code becomes cumbersome."

What is our primary use case?

We use Data Services to pull data from a hospital system and transfer it to a centralized Oracle database. Then we use the tool to transform the data for reporting and analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Services enables hospital staff to understand the data across disparate systems within the enterprise, helping the company to make more intelligent business decisions.

What is most valuable?

Data Services' table comparison mechanism is very powerful. It's pretty hard to find a similar feature in other solutions. There isn't really a great solution in Raw SQL. Data Services' general programming features are strong. The programming language is pretty rich. You can significantly transform the data. It also performs well when pushing SQL down to the database server. The tool tries to do as much work in a database as possible, but there are times when it can't do that as well. In those cases, it will process the data in its own engine. All the connectors and the panelization capabilities are pretty useful as well.

What needs improvement?

Data Services' UI can be annoying. Searching through long lists of things takes time because of some limitations. Source code control is another headache. When your source code base gets too large, managing the source code becomes cumbersome. Also, it's not possible to generate the code. You have to code everything manually. There's no way they're going to fix this. It would be nice to generate code from another program, but you can't do that.

For some tasks you need to do as an ETL developer, it doesn't make sense to code them all one at a time. You want to be able to read the metadata from something and generate the code. But the architecture of the tool doesn't play nicely with that. The ability to generate code would be one feature that would be nice to have.

I'd also like to see a smoother code promotion check-in and check-out process for large codebases and fixes to the comparison mechanism. The tool allows you to compare your code against the essential repositories, but the comparison mechanism is buggy. It sometimes reports false positives for what has changed. SAP could maybe improve the performance diagnostics for the production environment. Data Services has some rudimentary performance analysis tools, but they're pretty basic. There's not a dashboard to view where you're doing things well and not well performance-wise. A comprehensive performance dashboard would be nice.

SAP Data Services
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP Data Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using SAP Data Services for about six years.

Data Services is pretty solid. I would give it almost a perfect 10 for stability.

Data Services is highly scalable. Right now, there are a small number of direct users. They're all developers and software engineers. This isn't a user-facing tool like BOE or Webby that reports business objects. Data Services is an ETL tool that IT people use, so the user base is small. We are using it extensively, though, with about 150 jobs that run every night, but we are planning on decreasing our usage of the tool. However, that is because of what's going on in the hospital system rather than the tool's fault. Due to system changes, we don't have as much need for ETL work. So it will be probably decreasing over time. But we've used it extensively for six years.

SAP's support is good, but the process can be complex. If I were giving it a letter grade, I would say B-minus.

My company was using SSIS for a short time before I came on board. They switched because my boss knows Oracle well, and this seemed like the best option. He did an entire evaluation, and they decided to go with SAP Data Services because it is a fully functional reporting suite. Data Services operates well with BOE and its reporting solution. However, the primary factor in the decision was that my boss isn't a SQL Server person. He's an Oracle person, and this tool is more robust in the Oracle realm. In addition, Data Services isn't overly expensive. I believe that it's considerably less costly than Oracle Data Integrator or Informatica PowerCenter. He would've gone with those two tools, but they were too expensive.

Setting up Data Services is moderately complex. It's a big tool with a lot of components that need to be configured. Data Services is an enterprise-level data extraction and transformation load tool. There are just a lot of pieces. We've struggled because we were trying to install it on Solaris. I just finished an upgrade. I set up our environment five years ago, and we just upgraded it again.

It took much longer because they didn't have good support for Solaris. They say that they support Solaris, but they really don't. Since we moved over to Linux, we've been a lot better off. But it's a pretty sizable effort to set up the tool and configure it. You have to have DevTest and PRIDE. There are a lot of moving parts and various repository job servers. You have to understand the topology and architecture of the tool to know how to install and configure it. It's not like installing Microsoft Word.

The total amount of time needed to deploy depends on your environment. Generally, it should take about a month to get it up and running. In actuality, it took a lot longer than that. But once we got on the right OS, it was quicker. Our deployment strategy was to have three instances of the tool. First, we have DevTest and PRIDE. Then each developer has their own repository where they can do their work. So we have a development, test, and production repository. Every developer first runs their code in their own repository, which is where your code is stored. The code is then promoted to a common dev area. After that, it goes to a common test area, and finally, it heads to a common production area.

We've deployed Data Services several times, and each time we've had to do a net new install and transfer things over. We ran into some limitations on being able to upgrade in place. We have one person managing and maintaining the solution, but that person's workload fluctuates. It can be very demanding at times. It can use a lot of one person's time for short periods when you do upgrades. You have to know how to get onto SAP's website, open tickets, and work with SAP Support. That's another thing that adds to the time of the deployment. The amount of time you spend with SAP support is non-trivial. You have to understand the ticketing system and how to contact the engineers. It takes a little while to get used to that.

When Data Services was first deployed, I was not working at the company. At the time, they used consultants. Since I came on, I've been handling it all in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP Data Services seven out of 10. It's a powerful tool that does a lot. It has a lot of strengths, but there are some annoyances that slow down the programmer. It gets frustrating over time. It's also crucial that your repository database technology performs well. I would say seven out of 10 because it's powerful. It would be a nine if it weren't for the clunky source code management and a few other hassles like its inability to generate code.

I probably wouldn't choose this tool for what we're doing because I don't think SAP views this tool as their go-forward technology. SAP now has HANA and a new set of tools that operate in the cloud. I believe the company is primarily in a maintenance situation with Data Services. So if I were starting a new ETL project from scratch, I wouldn't go with SAP Data Services.

Private Cloud
    Associate Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, simple to implement, and offers very good mapping capabilities
    • "You can always manipulate a lot of things as long as you have the skill level."
    • "At the integration level, there could be certain set of improvement to connect to various other systems."

What is most valuable?

The ease of mapping and creating the queries are quite useful aspects. Manipulating an integration to different systems is relatively better than any of the ATL2, which are available as well.

It's a flexible solution. You can always manipulate a lot of things as long as you have the skill level.

The initial setup is usually pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement when it comes to the sources being dynamic, however, it is not something that can be done easily. These changes, take years to come into the picture, and it's usually the patch upgrade that comes in. Those are very less at the functional level.

At the integration level, there could be a certain set of improvements to connect to various other systems.

There are still a lot of glitches with SAP Data Services as of now.

I'd like for them to make scheduling much more dynamic when we create jobs.

The dependencies to other systems, when we are running a job, we have certain problems, some optimization schemes, if it can be implemented for the data flows when we run it. If we had multiple data loaders and if we could use that at the same time while ensuring the backend data system doesn't get affected, it would be ideal.

I've been using the solution for seven years now.

I cannot confirm stability. It depends on the kind of projects when you get them or if you work in an enterprise-style project that is analytics-based.

Scalability-wise, we are ATL2. We are not really doing anything pertaining to improving the data quality directly through the group - we are just converting it up, applying business rules from that perspective. It's a bit flexible compared to other ATL2s when it is connecting to data databases. In terms of scalability right now, there is some improvement needed.

Technical support typically caters to us if any of the server systems are down. Otherwise, technical support, pertaining to the builds, I usually don't require assistance. I fix it up at my own speed sometimes with certain tricks I know. Otherwise, the SAP communities are there and you can find answers that way. In worse-case scenarios, if you mess stuff up, you can always raise a ticket to SAP and they can come in with certain experts and they can try and fix the problem.

I'm also working on learning Azure Data Factory.

The ease of setup depends on the systems you're connecting to. If I'm just forming a data store with say any database it's easy. However, if I'm forming it with any of the SAP systems targeting S4 or above, it's slightly complex and takes some time. There are also a lot of authorizations required and due to all that it's not a thing for an individual person to just pass through. That said, on a technical level, it is still relatively easy if you do receive all the required inputs.

The level of maintenance needed is always dependent on the projects and the amount of data that you're getting. Supposedly if you're giving me ten to 20 million records, my application issues I've stabilized. Data is going fine, and one person can support it if he has a bit of knowledge (somewhere around two to three years working with SAP). However, if it is much more dynamic and still there is a lot of junk data coming in, corrections are needed. In that case, a team of seven or even eight members will not suffice. I've worked once in a team of 40 members and it took us close to four years to stabilize the entire application.

We used an integrator for the implementation process.

The licensing costs vary. It depends on the company, on the project. A regular person cannot afford it. It's more for enterprise-level organizations. I'm not sure about the licensing based upon monthly or yearly, however.

There should just be one set fee, however, there may be costs associated with ancillary platforms a company has integrated with SAP.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user of SAP. I'm using it with my partner.

I'd advise new users that if they want to be on an equal level in the data analyst field, this is one of the finest tools. It is still a bit under the radar of people and many don't really realize its potential. They're still sticking on the data stage or Informatica. However, there are certain dependencies that SAP has created in which this particular Data Services works best.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

SAP Data Services
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Nhlanhla Mgoza - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Services Consultant at Inch solution
    User-friendly, straightforward to set up, and can extract data at an ODP level
    • "We can extract data at a table level, extract data at the ETL level, and we can extract data at an ODP level."
    • "They could make it easier to work with web services."

What is our primary use case?

From an integration perspective, normally, we're using SAP Data Services, however, I can only use it from an ETL perspective.

This is used to extract business content from the system. It's the tool that allows you to extract business consent and for purposes of business intelligence; businesses use it for legally reporting requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

There is what you call a subsystem, however, the data within stuff itself is not flexible so that you would be able to use tools like Power BI with it as it is. In order to use Power BI tools and so on, you need data to be in a certain layout and to be extracted in a certain structure. This tool allows you to do that.

What is most valuable?

Having different ways of extracting data has been very useful. We can extract data at a table level, extract data at the ETL level, and we can extract data at an ODP level.

The solution is very stable.

It's a user-friendly product.

The deployment is quick and it's straightforward to set up.

What needs improvement?

They could make it easier to work with web services. They need to make things like connecting to Google Databases, and so on, easier. They also have a data connection layer. If you could connect to those web-based data mixes with other vendors, web vendors, that should help.

Glitches are very, very few and far between. It's very user-friendly. I won't complain much there.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

We have five or six people who are data analysts who use it.

There are no plans to increase usage with their current model of work.

Whenever we needed technical support services it's been there for us, however, we hardly have ever needed support.

We did not use a different solution.

The initial setup is very easy. It takes about a day for implementation and setup.

You only need one person to handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

We used a consultant to assist us with the implementation process.

I cannot speak to the exact cost of the solution, however, in terms of if you look at the consulting fee, and you work up debt on a yearly basis, it might be $50,000 USD. There aren't additional costs beyond the standard fee.

We did look at Informatica as well before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are end-users. We provide services for the customer. I would not necessarily be the customer. I would provide services on behalf of the customer.

We've installed what we call a specific DDI. We use a hybrid setup.

I'd advise new users to know the product more before they implement it. It's important to be familiar with it before you commit.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten in the environment in which it's used, which is the best tool. In an environment where you've got theft as a source and you've got many targets, there are very few solutions that can match it.

Hybrid Cloud
    Director at Pixel Studio PTY
    Is easy to understand, deploy, and create new applications
    • "It's easy to understand and deploy. It's easy to create new applications, and depending on the complexity of the application, it is easy to deploy the new requirements."
    • "Some of the jobs that are built within Data Services require local files, and during initial deployment, those local files cannot be transported between machines simply because of security issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in at least two ways. One area is data migration from several legacy systems, and the second scenario is data quality. We use it, together with another tool that is in the same package, for cleansing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Some of the jobs that are built within Data Services require local files, and during initial deployment, those local files cannot be transported between machines simply because of security issues.

There are no issues from a technical point of view, and the issues are from a security point of view. In this scenario, we need to be sure that we have all of the files in the same centralized environment in order to get one big server to fulfill several or many developers.

I've been working with SAP Data Services since 2008.

It is a stable solution.

You can add a lot of different job servers in order to get a network. It is called grid computing. We can deploy pieces of the work in several servers in order to improve the performance.

I would give an overall rating of nine to technical support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial deployment is usually easy if you have one machine/one box deployed. However, if you have a network in which there are several job servers, then it is a little bit complex.

The maintenance is not complex. One morning session is enough to upgrade the tool itself.

At the entry level, if you're using it only for data integration, it is a little bit cheap. However, for large organizations it can be expensive. There are additional costs apart from the license.

I have experience with SSIS from Microsoft and DataStage from IBM. I've grown with SAP Data Services, and even though there are other features that I can use in other tools, I am able to build workarounds within SAP Data Services and get the same results.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to learn, and you can start with the training courses provided within the tool and follow them. Because I've used this tool for a long time, I would give it a rating of ten out of ten.

RambabuMandala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Development Senior Advisor at Dell EMC
    Responsive support, scalable, and beneficial integration
    • "The BA reporting tools, such as Data Services, and ETL tool in SAP Data Services are the most valuable. When we had in-memory requirements, we used HANA. HANA is most preferably for most the customers for in-memory. SAP is the first company that created the in-memory concept."
    • "Data Services SAP is lacking in sources and target databases compared to Informatica. SAP Data Services should have more connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

SAP Data Services is an ETL tool, which does extractions, transformation, and loads.

What is most valuable?

The BA reporting tools, such as Data Services, and ETL tool in SAP Data Services are the most valuable. When we had in-memory requirements, we used HANA. HANA is most preferably for most the customers for in-memory. SAP is the first company that created the in-memory concept.

There are a lot of SAP applications and they have good integration with SAP packages.

In the next release, they should be more advanced cloud functionalities and web services. More integration with other applications including SAPs and other applications. They should not switch to a complete solution but provide better integration with other applications.

What needs improvement?

Data Services SAP is lacking in sources and target databases compared to Informatica. SAP Data Services should have more connectivity.

I have been using SAP Data Services for approximately 12 years.

SAP Data Services is a scalable solution. There are plenty of users using the solution.

There are different levels of support SAP Data Services have. Based on the level that they have they are good. For most of the P1 tickets, we receive support within four hours. I'm comfortable with the support they provide.

I have used a number of similar solutions to SAP Data Services, such as Informatica. Informatica is a very mature solution.

The setup of SAP Data Services is straightforward for me because I have been doing it for over 12 years. I did a lot of internal implementation of SAP, HANA, and SAP Data Services. I have become familiar and comfortable. It is easy for me.

The price of SAP Data Services is a little high when compared to other solutions. Due to the pricing and capabilities, many clients are switching to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if they're specific to SAP applications, such as SAP CRM or any other SAP-specific applications, SAP provides a bundle package. It focuses on primarily 100 applications. A type of end-to-end full solution.

I rate SAP Data Services an eight out of ten.

BI and Visualization Platform Lead at a agriculture with 10,001+ employees
    A stable and scalable solution with good integration and data migration capabilities
    • "Its integration capabilities and the data migration capabilities are the most valuable. It is very good for SAP and non-SAP tools. It has very good integration with SAP, but it also has the capabilities to connect to other systems. We find it very helpful and stable."
    • "The skillset of data engineers matters a bit to use all the functionality of this solution. Otherwise, the delivery speed won't be faster."

What is our primary use case?

It is a very widely used tool. We mostly use it for integration purposes between various systems and for data migration. One of the recent use cases is about the AWS database that we are trying to establish. We need the data from various on-premise systems, and SAP is one of them, which is majorly used. We want to put that data into our data lake.

We are not using the cataloging and metadata features much. We have a separate data cataloging tool.

What is most valuable?

Its integration capabilities and the data migration capabilities are the most valuable. It is very good for SAP and non-SAP tools. It has very good integration with SAP, but it also has the capabilities to connect to other systems. We find it very helpful and stable.

What needs improvement?

The skillset of data engineers matters a bit to use all the functionality of this solution. Otherwise, the delivery speed won't be faster.

I have been using this solution for eight to ten years.

It is a very stable solution.

It is scalable.

We are getting responses from them. There were one or two issues that were very critical, and we got the needed attention from them.

We also have other ETL tools, such as Informatica, that are being used in other teams, but SAP Data Services is the main solution that we are using. I have not heard any complaints about it.

We, fortunately, have a very good team in our organization, which makes it easy for us to implement.

It is a part of an enterprise agreement. There is another department that handles its maintenance.

Its pricing is as per the enterprise agreement and not a concern for us.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we have good experience and feedback. We have very skilled engineers in our team, and I haven't heard any kind of negative feedback about this solution.

I would rate SAP Data Services an eight out of ten.

Senior Data Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides good basic functionality but is lacking in terms of data transformation components
    • "The basic functionality is quite good as is the basic logic and data information."
    • "The migration of the solution between different environments is quite complex."

What is our primary use case?

We've been using this tool for data integration in the banking sector. We gather data from different sources and prepare it for analysis. I'm an integrator and a senior data engineer.

What is most valuable?

SAP is quite easy to start working with, especially for those with SAP experience. The basic functionality is quite good as is the basic logic and data information.

What needs improvement?

I have several issues with this solution. The first is that the deployment process, the migration of the solution between different environments, is quite complex. Data services doesn't have much in terms of data transformation components so if you want to do something special, it requires custom coding. The embedded features that SAP Data Services offers are not enough for me to implement everything that I want.

I've also found that the internet resources SAP provides are really poor despite the good documentation on their site. If I want to have a conversation with other developers or get an opinion from them, there's not much available. I would prefer to use other tools, but because of our current client's requirements, we are using Data Services.

I don't have any concerns about stability. I haven't noticed any gaps or issues.

The solution is scalable.

We previously used Talend which I found to be more flexible in terms of data transformation, applying additional logic and things like that. SAP Data Services has limited possibilities for data transformation.

The solution was implemented prior to my joining the company. We do upgrades and implement some small changes. Unfortunately, this can take some time and is not as easy as it should be. Deployment could be improved. We have a team of four people maintaining Data Services.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution six out of 10.

Paul Mazvarira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Lead Analytics at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
    A stable solution that provides great single features, but cannot be purchased piecemeal to meet exact requirements
    • "The API tool in this product is very valuable; it is very easy to onboard and use."
    • "We would like the different tools offered within this solution to be available as standalone entities, rather than having to purchase the entire package when we only require a few features."

What is our primary use case?

I currently use this solution for data walls and the custom URL system.

What is most valuable?

The API tool in this product is very valuable; it is very easy to onboard and use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

We have found this solution to be very stable.

This is a very scalable solution, with a multi-user environment.

The technical support for this solution is not very good, they don't really care about assisting with issues.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup of this solution was very complex. The process requires multiple steps, but there is very limited documentation available to aid the implementation tasks. This results in deployment being very slow.

We configured and implement this solution using our in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for medium to large organizations, but a lot of prior training is needed in order to support the product post-implementation.We would not recommend this solution for smaller organizations, due to the large numbers of staff required for ongoing support and maintenance.

Also, if an organization is considering this solution, I recommend they look at the cloud-based version, which is less support-dependent

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Download our free SAP Data Services Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022