Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Red Hat Satellite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Red Hat Satellite is #6 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give Red Hat Satellite an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Red Hat Satellite is most commonly compared to Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform: Red Hat Satellite vs Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform. Red Hat Satellite is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Red Hat Satellite Buyer's Guide

Download the Red Hat Satellite Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Red Hat Satellite?

Red Hat Satellite is a system management solution that makes Red Hat infrastructure easier to deploy, scale, and manage across physical, virtual, and cloud environments. This management tool helps users provision, configure, and update systems to keep them running efficiently, securely, and in compliance with various standards. By automating most system maintenance tasks, Red Hat Satellite helps organizations increase efficiency, reduce operational costs, and enable IT to better respond to strategic business needs.

Red Hat Satellite Customers

Baloise Bank SoBa, ETH Zurich, Munich Airport, ING-DiBa, Produban

Red Hat Satellite Video

Red Hat Satellite Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Red Hat Satellite pricing:
  • "Its price is good. They call it subscription, not license, and it is on a yearly basis. There is only one subscription, and that's it."
  • "The price could be lower and more adaptive."
  • Red Hat Satellite Reviews

Erik Widholm - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Enterprise Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    User
    Easy to install with helpful technical support and great patch management
    • "The 'remote execution' feature further helps manage systems on a consistent basis."
    • "I would like the direct integration with insights to be re-established."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use is for patch management and cataloguing our RHEL infrastructure. Keeping inventories on spreadsheets and maintaining them is a tedious detail. Satellite allows us to have an up-to-the-minute inventory of our servers.

Satellite allows us also to review configuration issues with the 'all ansible roles' feature which helps us ensure that a) the servers are connectable and b) they are configured similarly as expected.

Due to the cloud connecter, our inventory is uploaded on a regular basis to cloud.redhat.com (insights) where we get insight into configuration issues, specific vulnerabilities to address, et cetera.

Having Satellite has enabled us to maintain control of our RHEL infrastructure without having to hire additional help due to the size of the environment.

How has it helped my organization?

I used to do all the patching manually (creating and updating depots for several different versions of RHEL/CentOS), which lead to patching happening only twice per year, due to the overhead of creating depots and planning.

Since implementing Satellite, my overall patching process has allowed us to keep up-to-date monthly across the environments. Furthermore, I now have a view into vulnerabilities (though insights) that I didn't have before. It is like having a helper find and mitigate configuration issues on my servers.

What is most valuable?

The patch management and insights connector are great. Patch management has enabled us to patch every month, keeping abreast of critical and important patches, view where things are lacking, and generate plans to mitigate issues. Due to the work being done in a tool, reporting allows us to see what has been done to what servers.

Insights (there is a connecter that uploads inventory to the web) greatly helps to highlight configuration issues in our environment. The 'remote execution' feature further helps manage systems on a consistent basis.

What needs improvement?

I find support to be highly responsive on most issues, however, gathering and supplying the data needed for good troubleshooting can sometimes take quite some time. It would be nice if either report was updated to include the multiple other files that are normally required, or a different tool was shipped to package logs, configurtions, etc.

I would like the direct integration with insights to be re-established. One pane (up to version 6.9) was very helpful. Although the information is available at cloud.redhat.com, it would be good to have it again inside of Satellite.

Red Hat Satellite
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Red Hat Satellite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have used the solution since version 6.4 (about three years).

I keep my environment at the very latest release, which can pose some difficulty; however, if you keep yourself one minor version back, it is a rock-solid platform.

The solution is highly scalable. You can put capsules in all your different environments to offload data closer to the consumer. This is also true for the cloud.

Satellite support is responsive, technical, and helpful. You will not be left out to dry.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I used to do patching directly from each host to rhn.redhat.com when the infrastructure was smaller. As it grew, I started using local repositories for each version of Red Hat. I had a process that was very satellite-like that support personnel found to be functionally close to what Satellite did. Therefore, I was encouraged to take a look at Satellite.

Satellite installation is not difficult at all if you know how to read a manual. However, configuration for your environment requires knowledge of the product. I highly recommend taking the training or having a consultant do the installation and provide documentation.

Learning Satellite is quite a task. There is very little that is straightforward or intuitive about it, however, it is powerful, and, once learned, you find it to be worth the effort. I highly recommend the following:

a. Take RH403. Ask your VAR if you can get a class with lab hours. Practice makes things work out well. I used the ROL subscription model, so I had plenty of time to go over material, build, and rebuild scenarios, and test before buying.

b. Download (after you've taken the class) the evaluation and use the evaluation to get your environment configured. You have access to support during this time (though it is not critically responsive) and can get the help you need before obtaining the product.

Be advised that Satellite (Smart Management) is an add-on to your regular Red Hat subscriptions. It is not a standalone product.

We had taken a look at other products such as Heat (Ivanti), however, found them to be clunky and difficult to keep up-to-date. Satellite is so intertwined with Red Hat that you are up to date within hours of a patch being released with very little testing required, et cetera.

What we also found was that "competing" products either were not as readily supported - SpaceWalk, for instance (Satellite's predecessor) - or unable to keep abreast of changes in the Operating System.

IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalable with good integration capabilities and fair pricing
    • "Technical support has been good."
    • "There needs to be some margin for improvement in terms of the way Satellite manages subscriptions. It is still very confusing when we have different contracts or different bundles of subscriptions, and we need to manage those within Satellite in a way that's very user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Satellite to distribute updates to all our Linux apartments. It's our content management platform for Linux Operating Systems. We use this to orchestrate our entire network and also to validate the configurations.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Ansible and the orchestration itself is a highly valuable aspect of the solution. It's basically the core function of the product, the way to handle orchestration and management patching in our Linux environment is great.

Technical support has been good.

The solution can scale.

The stability is good.

We've found the pricing to be fair.

What needs improvement?

One of the challenges we have at the moment is managing the subscriptions for Red Hat. Apart from managing the patching for the Linux systems, we also use Satellite to manage the subscriptions that are associated to reach operating systems. There needs to be some margin for improvement in terms of the way Satellite manages subscriptions. It is still very confusing when we have different contracts or different bundles of subscriptions, and we need to manage those within Satellite in a way that's very user-friendly.

There is still some margin for improvement in terms of integration with the Ansible. Perhaps, it would be nice to be able to extend the usage of Satellite to other operating systems.

We've been dealing with the solution for about six or so years at this point.

There is no reason for complaints in terms of scalability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been a good experience so far.

Right now, we have a team of 7 administrators which is relatively small. We use it on a daily basis.

It's been easy to scale. It is based on a distributed architecture. We have some essential nodes, however, then we can have multiple proxies for different geographies and different talents. Therefore, it's flexible and scalable.

We have a technical account manager from Red Hat. We have weekly meetings to discuss many different topics. Satellite is also a subject on the table, trying to find some ways to improve our usage of the product. They have been pretty good. They are insightful and knowledgeable. We have no complaints about the level of service we receive.

The initial setup was relatively complex. Six years ago, we didn't have much experience. We did the first deployment with some external help from a partner. Since then, we have been improving our expertise on prototypes, and we are much more autonomous now. Therefore, I'd say that it does get easier to implement with time and experience.

For maintenance, we do need to keep the products up to date, It is something we do every six months at least. It hasn't been a big effort.

When we first deployed the solution, we did get help from our partner.

The pricing was reviewed about three years ago. We like the pricing setup as it scales up and down easily, as we are charged by the number of med notes. The pricing is fair. We simply have to pay for the subscription to get access to the software and the support system and don't have any costs above that.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We are a vendor that works with Open Source Solutions, mostly Linux-based. It was recently - maybe two years ago - acquired by IBM, so it's not part of the IBM group. We work a lot with the branded products from Red Hat Enterprise Linux to Satellite to Automation Solutions.

We are working with the latest version of Satellite, as we've recently upgraded it about three months ago.

I'd recommend it to anyone who manages significantly sized Linux environments.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Red Hat Satellite
    September 2022
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    National Expert in Infrastructure and Operations at a training & coaching company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to set up and integrate with other tools and has helpful technical support
    • "I like the integration with other tools."
    • "Automation can always be improved and refined to continue to make it better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation. For example, it can help me to deploy applications. We are intending to do continuous delivery and continuous deployment. For this approach, we are using this product.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration with other tools. For example, WeWork. With the automation, I can describe the process to the facility, the people, to reduce the manipulation of the code and make automated jobs easy. We get all the results exactly the same, which is great for us.

It's an easy solution to set up.

I find the product to be stable.

The scalability is great.

Technical support has been very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

Automation can always be improved and refined to continue to make it better.

I'd like to see the ability for this tool to integrate with other developer tools like Jenkins or maybe different tools that could help us to implement and continuously deliver continuous deployment. We'd like to have some information about how to do it as well. It needs more documentation.

We started using the solution maybe five or six years ago.

The product has been stable. There are no bugs or glitches that affect the performance. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I don't have problems with Ansible, the Ansible controller, or the satellite.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have 20 to 30 people using the solution at this time. The users, us, basically provide services to other areas of the organization.

If I ever have issues with support, they are very helpful. They've been good to me. We've never had an issue with a ticket.

We do use another technology as well.

For me, the initial setup was easy. I have two certifications. I have HTT and RTB. For these reasons and the fact I find it so similar to the technologies, I don't have problems learning the setup procedures for the process.

For the deployment we have in my organization at this moment, we have to do a few steps to implement it into the production environment. We make the installation in two to three days more or less. We are, for the moment, waiting for the final position to implement it with all my services, however, at this point, I may have spent two or three weeks to make it work in the production environment.

While it depends on each deployment how many people you need for deployment and maintenance, from our side, we'll have about 12. They are all engineers and they can handle all of the tasks necessary.

I'm sure I'll end up doing the final deployment by myself. However, we have support that can assist us at a moment's notice if we have trouble at any point.

I don't directly handle the licensing contracts. I can't speak to the exact price.

While the solution was selected from other products at the time, the company implemented it seven or eight years ago. I can't speak to what solutions they looked at then.

What other advice do I have?

My past company was a partner of Red Hat. My latest company is not. It's just a customer and an end-user.

I am working with an updated version of the solution at this time. We're using a private cloud on-premises right now.

I'd advise new users maybe get more information about the releases about the new features first to get a sense of the technology and what's to come.

I'll rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Analyste principal - AIX et Linux at a hospitality company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good for patch management and license management, but should have a complete slew of system management and monitoring tools
    • "Patch management is, for sure, most valuable. For license management and patch management, I would rate it a 10 out of 10."
    • "It should basically include a complete slew of system management and monitoring tools such as Nagios. It should be a single pane of glass that gives us a complete solution. It is a good solution, but it is missing a few important things. We're using Capsule for DMVs on other secured zones. Capsule is a part of Satellite to be a proxy of sorts."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for patch management and license management. We also use it for insights, which is their recommendation engine to say what's wrong and what's right.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It should basically include a complete slew of system management and monitoring tools such as Nagios. It should be a single pane of glass that gives us a complete solution. It is a good solution, but it is missing a few important things. We're using Capsule for DMVs on other secured zones. Capsule is a part of Satellite to be a proxy of sorts.

It has been at least six years.

Its stability is very good.

If you run into issues, you get very good support, which helps a lot because sometimes, there are issues like certificates expiring. We've had that. It is stuff that you ought to know, but you don't, and Red Hat is always there. That's the good thing about it. At least, you don't feel as if you're stranded. You feel as if you've just found a new way to use your support.

We didn't use any other solution. It is not a full management tool. It is more of a Linux System Management tool that does not even go a full tilt. I wouldn't really say that you have much of a choice because you're paying Red Hat licenses, and that's the only place where you can basically shop them in. So, you're captive. You either don't have it or you go elsewhere.

It is less complex now. Previously, you would bleed before you would get anywhere, but now, it is not so bad.

What other advice do I have?

You do have to plan for having the skills to use and maintain it onsite. That's pretty much it, and then you can leverage it.

It doesn't do everything. It just does what it is supposed to be doing, and they're pretty clear about it, which is not so bad. It isn't a full system management system. It, for sure, is not a monitoring tool. It does a great job for what it is doing, but it does very low in comparison to what I would think it should be doing. I would like to have a pane of glass. They already have 90% of the solution. Why don't they just take it to the next little step?

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Project & Software Manager at a consultancy with self employed
    Makes it easier to manage the software and comes with excellent support
    • "Fixing is the most valuable. When you deal with a lot of hardware and software and you have a lot of packages, fixing is a bit difficult. You need to track and pull up all such things, but Satellite makes this task easy. We have branches in other locations, and I can manage other branches by using Satellite Capsule, which is a great feature."
    • "It wasn't easy in the beginning, and some effort was required to work it out. I already had the product documentation, but it was not well organized. It wasn't easy to follow. There were a lot of documents here and there."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mainly for managing the software and taking care of licensing periods, fixes and enhancements, features, and all similar things for the software.

What is most valuable?

Fixing is the most valuable. When you deal with a lot of hardware and software and you have a lot of packages, fixing is a bit difficult. You need to track and pull up all such things, but Satellite makes this task easy.

We have branches in other locations, and I can manage other branches by using Satellite Capsule, which is a great feature.

What needs improvement?

It wasn't easy in the beginning, and some effort was required to work it out. I already had the product documentation, but it was not well organized. It wasn't easy to follow. There were a lot of documents here and there.

I have been using Red Hat Satellite for about nine months.

It is stable. I can control different locations by using Satellite Capsule.

It is easy to scale.

Red Hat's technical support is excellent.

The deployment took a couple of days. It took me some time to figure it out initially, but after that, it took just a couple of hours, and it was up and running.

I implemented it in my company. We also maintain it ourselves. We upgrade it and work it out. We are Red Hat business partners, so we do everything.

We have hardware engineers who are implementing HPE, IBM, and Cisco solutions. They are not users of Satellite, but they are benefiting from Satellite. There are two or three engineers who are working on Satellite, and they are more than enough because you just need someone who has worked with Satellite to follow up on things. At a location, you just need one engineer.

What other advice do I have?

We chose this product because we are a Red Hat business partner, and we know that Red Hat has excellent products. It was our first choice.

I would definitely recommend this solution to anyone who wants to manage the software. I would rate Red Hat Satellite an eight out of ten.

Jayasundar S - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Architect at Wipro Limited
    Complete solution for patch and configuration management when integrated with the existing system, but the interface could be more user friendly
    • "You don't need to depend on any third party. It's a complete solution for patch and configuration management when integrated with the existing system."
    • "I would like to see the scalability, user interface, and reporting features improved and for the solution to be simplified. Instead of having complex engineering, it should be simple for the user."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for patch management and configuration management.

It's a hybrid solution.

What is most valuable?

It's really integrated with agencies that have core systems and other core management platform products or IBM products. You don't need to depend on any third party. It's a complete solution for patch and configuration management when integrated with the existing system.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly. For example, if we take a tool like JetPatch, which is a very popular third party tool for attach management and automation, it can be very well integrated with any of the configuration in the management system. It's also user-friendly, and the reporting features are extensive. Red Hat Satellite has very good engineering but is lacking with the user interfaces and reporting.

I would like to see the scalability, user interface, and reporting features improved and for the solution to be simplified. Instead of having complex engineering, it should be simple for the user.

I have been using Red Hat Satellite for three years.

The solution is stable for a Red Hat product.

It's not very scalable. It has issues because you cannot add the incentive easily. You need to have a separate server install configure out of the cluster.

I would rate technical support 7 out of 10.

Setup is complex because you need someone with a good knowledge of troubleshooting to deploy Satellite. You really need an engineering person to do that.You need an integrator or reseller.

You definitely need a skilled person to implement the design quickly. Then you need ongoing support, and you definitely need a better team to manage it. It is a complex case.

The price could be lower and more adaptive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

I wouldn't recommend this solution compared to other solutions. We need a complete solution to work on our data center in the public cloud. It can be  Linux, Windows, etc. I need a solution which can work across the environment, so I would go with a product other than Satellite.

Hybrid Cloud
    VivekSaini - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant at Aon Corporation
    Useful for patch management and reporting

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Red Hat Satellite is patch management. It's for configuration in the Linux server, and we use if for patching and pushing the bundle.

This solution is deployed on-prem. I'm using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are patch management and the reporting tool.

What needs improvement?

Red Hat Satellite could be improved by adding more flexibility in reporting.

I have been using this solution for around three years.

This product is stable.

This solution is scalable. There are about 30 users of Red Hat Satellite in my organization.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

The installation is not exactly straightforward—some prior knowledge is required. Once the document is there, you can easily install it.

Initially, we had technical help, but later on, we installed some components by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. I would definitely recommend Red Hat Satellite to others, especially for Linux.

Download our free Red Hat Satellite Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022