Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Quorum OnQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quorum OnQ is #11 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software, #17 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools, and #31 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Quorum OnQ an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Quorum OnQ is most commonly compared to Commvault Complete Data Protection: Quorum OnQ vs Commvault Complete Data Protection. Quorum OnQ is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Quorum OnQ Buyer's Guide

Download the Quorum OnQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Quorum OnQ?

Quorum onQ is the global leader in 1-click instant recovery, providing full immediate recovery of your critical systems after any storage, system or site failure. It does this by automatically maintaining up-to-date, ready-to-run virtual machine clones of your physical and virtual servers stored on a dedicated appliance – clones that will transparently take over for failed servers within minutes.

Quorum OnQ was previously known as OnQ.

Quorum OnQ Customers
LCL Bulk Transport
Quorum OnQ Video

Quorum OnQ Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Quorum OnQ pricing:
  • "The upfront cost of purchasing a license for the hardware is quite steep."
  • "When we quote the price of Quorum to customers, they find it expensive."
  • Quorum OnQ Reviews

CTO at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    The backup and restoration process was very fast
    • "One of the most valuable features was the usability, since many of the features were very straightforward. The backup and restoration process was also very fast. Although we weren't able to fully test the scenarios, one of the features was that we could have it restored on a remote site. However, since we were on-prem, we weren't able to test the remote site restoration."
    • "The price of Quorum OnQ could be improved. We were exploring the product in terms of having a partnership with the distributor so that we could operate as a service, but for our own use, within the company, we couldn't justify the price unless the servers would become an option later on. The upfront cost of purchasing a license for the hardware is quite steep."

What is our primary use case?

We tested this solution for the use case of the backup and restoration of our downloaded servers. We were also exploring how we could populate to our end client, so offering it as a service for corporate clients as well.

It was deployed on-prem, but we wanted to explore the DR as a service and deploy it on our network. They said that they would be partnering with us to provide the DR as a service offering.

What needs improvement?

As for additional features, I would like to see support for other servers. If they leave out distributions like Ubuntu and others, they're limiting their compatibility with servers.

At the time that we used this solution, we worked with it for about two months.

Quorum OnQ
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Quorum OnQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is very stable. The performance was very good, the backup process was fast, and restoration was also very good. We were able to get restoration back on fresh drives, and we were able to test spinning up the virtual machine at the backup as well, so that was very convenient.

Quorum OnQ is very scalable. It can start as a small attached storage device and can go as big as one whole rack, so that's how it can scale up and scale out. For our POC, we were only given the small device to test, so we weren't able to test scalability all the way up to one whole rack.

We have plans to increase our usage, but it depends on if the distributor will be able to offer disaster recovery of the service. We wouldn't use it on its own, but the way it would work is they would provide the hardware and licenses and we'd just provide the infrastructure.

We haven't been in contact with technical support since the POC, but we were in close contact with the engineers during the POC. We were quite satisfied with the test, and some improvements would probably be able to support other limits of the solution as well. At the time we were testing, I don't think Ubuntu was supported yet—I'm not sure if it's supported, at this point, but RedHat-based distributions were supported, as well as other distributions.

I have also worked with Proxmox Backup. The main difference is that you can get Proxmox Backup for free, although we availed the support license, just to give back to the community. For the basic needs—backup, restoration, recovery—Proxmox Backup delivers quite well.

The initial setup process was quite simple and very straightforward. The deployment took less than an hour. There wasn't really any maintenance and we didn't need to run any updates at that time. Once the agents were installed and configured, everything was running fine—restoration worked, and snapshots worked quite well.

On our end, there was just one technical person working on this product.

During the implementation, we were in close contact with the distributor, who had technical engineers that helped us throughout the process. We were running some Linux servers that weren't compatible with the product, so we had to test on the servers that were compatible.

The upfront cost of purchasing a license for the hardware is quite steep.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Quorum OnQ an eight out of ten, based on the test.

I would definitely recommend Quorum OnQ to others, especially if they have the budget. I would also say to avail of the service offering. Especially nowadays, with the pandemic hit, budgets have been severely affected, so DR, the servers, or backup of the servers comes in handy. Some CapEx spending has been slashed dramatically on backup, and other servers might help with that.

reviewer1521792 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of Information Technology at Pugh CPAs
    Helpful support, reliable, facilitates compliance, and provides a good return on investment
    • "Quorum OnQ has taken the guesswork out of backup/recovery and disaster recovery."
    • "It would be beneficial if file culling could be more granular."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Quorum OnQ for local file and application server backup and recovery, as well as local disaster recovery. Disaster recovery is delivered through individual virtual machines that we can spin up on-demand, or configure for automatic fail-over.

The OnQ platform duplicates these features, as well, as a data archive vault at a remote site. Data is transferred and archived to the remote site automatically.

This platform does the job that we needed multiple, disparate solutions to handle before.

How has it helped my organization?

Quorum OnQ has taken the guesswork out of backup/recovery and disaster recovery.  The holistic nature of the platform makes it a breeze to work with and test.

One of the biggest worries in an IT environment is the reliability of backup and DR. Will it work when we need it? I can see that OnQ is functioning properly and test the DR environment on a single pane of glass in just a few seconds. It lifts a huge burden from my shoulders and I rarely give it a second thought since implementing OnQ.

What is most valuable?

Local backup and file recovery are the features I use most but as a DR and archive platform, Quorum OnQ helps us check several compliance boxes, as well.

Solid technical support is another huge benefit. Whenever we need them, Quorum staff are always on top of it.

What needs improvement?

It would be beneficial if file culling could be more granular.

I have been using Quorum OnQ for almost 10 years.

This solution is rock solid.

We have actually scaled back from where we started with the solution because so much of our data has moved to the cloud.

World-class! Tech support staff is very responsive and extremely knowledgeable. I do not recall a single instance where an issue has to be escalated.

I used various, disparate solutions in the past to accomplish everything that OnQ does.

Implementation of OnQ was one of the easiest I have ever been involved in. Quorum was involved throughout the entire process, even sending a tech onsite to complete the install.

In-house with Quorum tech support assistance.

We also had a ransomware incident a few years back and OnQ saved the day. We were able to recover every file in just a few minutes. This cost savings on the loss of productivity for this incident alone paid for the solution multiple times over.

My advice is to take a look at both the on-premises and cloud offerings from Quorum. We have been using an on-premises solution but we will probably evaluate the cloud version come renewal time.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing OnQ.

What other advice do I have?

The platform has been around for a while and is reliably rock solid. It already does everything that it advertises, really well. I have been in the IT industry for more than 30 years and there are very few platforms that I do not have at least a small annoyance to complain about, other than OnQ.

I have been using it for almost 10 years and I have yet to find a single fault with it. Quorum OnQ is one of the few solutions that I would recommend to a colleague without a single caveat.

Quorum OnQ
    September 2022
    633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solution Consultant at Anamtech
    Reseller
    Secured Backup with Instant Recovery
    • "The solution offers good documentation."
    • "They need integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We've used the solution for data security and high availability - instant recovery.

What is most valuable?

Especially with the instant recovery, if the servers go down, then instantly we can recover everything from the Quorum solution itself without having to have any extra or supplemental hardware. They make it easy to go live. It doesn't matter whether it is one server or the whole site's down. With a click, I can boot a lot of production workloads from the Quorum solution itself directly. I can also use those machines as a testing environment if I want to do some patch updates or some kind of testing, or just to browse my data, to see if my backups and DR are functional. I can just boot it up in the test network and test it out.

It is easy to set everything up.

It's been very stable.

The scalability is good.

It comes at a reasonable price.

The solution offers good documentation.

The user interface is fine.

What needs improvement?

Pretty much it is answering to the current market requirements when we are talking about the standard compatibilities. That said if we look around at some other verticals where there is a requirement to protect non-standard operating systems like UX or UNIX and AIX. In that scenario, they should be compatible with them as well. They need integration with other platforms.

The more basic versions do not scale.

I've used the solution for almost five years.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

While the basic models or the basic versions are not scalable, the other CDs are very scalable.

Many of our customers use the solution. They are Govt, Mid sized enterprise and corporates for the most part.

They have a team in the US, and, along with that, they also have a team in the Middle East as well. Support is good. We do get personalized support.

The initial setup is very simple. It's a prebuilt solution. Everything comes as a plug-and-play. We just need to connect it to the data sector with the normal IP configuring and then start the agent configuration. It's very simple, I would say.

For the features that they offer compared to the other competitors, the pricing is good.

Most of the solutions we have are software-based solutions. When we are looking at Quorum, then that is a hardware-based solution. It's not an apple-to-apple comparison between the two, however, if we take the overall cost of another solution, which is software, including the hardware costs, it comes in at pretty much the same.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and consultant.

For those considering Quorum OnQ, it's a good bet they can play. They can protect the data from ransomware attacks and also their downtime will be drastically reduced. They can have an uptime of their workloads in maybe two to five minutes.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

Shrijendra Shakya - PeerSpot reviewer
    C.T.O at Sastra Network Solution Inc. Pvt. Ltd.
    A simple solution with ransomware protection and great support
    • "Quorum OnQ has a good ransomware protection feature, and customer service and support were very good."
    • "Quorum OnQ can be improved by providing support for other operating systems like Ubuntu."

What is our primary use case?

We use Quorum OnQ for backup, cloud service, and disaster recovery as a service.

What is most valuable?

Quorum OnQ has a good ransomware protection feature, and customer service and support were very good. Quorum is simple. They don't promise to do what they can't and always do what they say, and they are very good at that.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with other platforms is the issue. Quorum OnQ can be improved by providing support for other operating systems like Ubuntu. Even Oracle supports other platforms. I would also like them to upgrade the hardware appliances.

It'll also help our clients if they made the requirements and service level agreements easier to understand.

I have been using Quorum OnQ for about one and a half years.

Quorum OnQ is a very stable solution. We haven't had any hardware issues. We have been doing backup and restoration without any issues.

Quorum OnQ is a scalable solution.

Quorum OnQ tech support is fantastic. They provide one to one support, we can meet them, or people over there can handle it for us. They even helped us with very small issues.

We were using this kind of backup in the cloud for a while. Sometimes we used Acronis and Macrium Reflects, but we found that Quorum was much simpler. It was also much easier to understand the solution.

The biggest difference between Acronis and Quorum is that Quorum is open-source, and the file system is better. It's like other platforms, and most people know about it. Also, compared to products like Acronis and Zetta, Quorum OnQ isn't hard.

The initial setup was very simple because we had all the technical support. But we do have issues like client connections to do the security, which takes time, but after that, the infrastructure is ready to go, and there haven't been issues.

It doesn't take more than a week to deploy the device. But to deploy the Quorum OnQ for a customer, and if it's a large client, it takes about a month to do the network setup and more.

What other advice do I have?

From using Quorum OnQ, I have learned that people are serious about their data, but they don't realize that data capturers are happening often. Some ransomware incidents keep reoccurring, and the backup function that we have helps our customers. That's why we keep giving it to them.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Quorum OnQ a nine.

Sivathiban Krishnamurtthu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Director at Syscentrix
    Reseller
    Easy to used and provides powerful one-click recovery, but the interface needs to be enhanced
    • "The most useful feature is the one-click recovery."
    • "The user interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and Quorum OnQ is one of the products that we sell to our clients.

As a reseller, we use our Quorum OnQ box for demonstration purposes, and for PoC purposes. We do not yet have any sales in this region.

The primary use case is quick HA and DR.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature is the one-click recovery. It instantly boots up the protected VM.

This product is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to be improved. It is good, albeit very simple and the look needs to be improved when compared to other products on the market.

I would prefer if there were an easier way to restore databases or applications. It would be good, for example, if the Quorum agent could do things like restore databases at the table level.

We have been selling Quorum OnQ for approximately one year.

This solution is very stable. We have tested it for approximately one year, so we have only had a problem once or twice.

Scalability is something that we haven't tested. We have not tried adding another box but from what I have read so far, I think that the scalability is good.

We have not tried to contact technical support because we don't have any sales in the region. At this point, we don't know anything about them.

As resellers, we are also selling NetBackup and Commvault. One of the complaints from our customers is that the Quorum is expensive, and they question why it is on par with these other products.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

When we quote the price of Quorum to customers, they find it expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Quorum OnQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022