We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Portnox CORE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Portnox CORE is #6 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. PeerSpot users give Portnox CORE an average rating of 10 out of 10. Portnox CORE is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Portnox CORE vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Portnox CORE?

Portnox CORE provides 100% actionable visibility and control of all devices that are connected to the enterprise network. As a software-based Network Access Management (NAM) platform, Portnox CORE’s patented solution allows for efficient management of the security and compliance challenges that organizations face in a smart and simple way.

Portnox CORE was previously known as Access Layers portnox.

Portnox CORE Buyer's Guide

Download the Portnox CORE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Portnox CORE Customers

EL AL Israeli Airlines, Channel 10 News, Wales Millennium Centre, The College of Management Academic Studies

Portnox CORE Video

Portnox CORE Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Portnox CORE pricing:
  • "The vendor price is fair."
  • "The licensing module should be reviewed to count the number of devices instead of port numbers of total switches. There is a case for this where not all ports for a switch are used by devices. Unused ports are calculated in the license, then the customer pays for license for those unused ports."
  • Portnox CORE Reviews

Joseph James
    Systems & Support Engineer at CWG Plc
    Great dashboards, easy to set up, and very scalable
    • "It's so easy to set up, you don't need outside assistance."
    • "Now, the way security is viewed, maybe including something like AI, to automate some of the things that are required to be done would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network access control, on the wireless and the wired LAN. This includes managing; network access control, profiling of endpoints and, also managing guests and consultants on the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Great visibility on who and what is connected or joined the network at any one time. This also allows for security posture attainment because of the profiling features of Portnox Core that allow for a particular endpoint update baseline to join the network or be quarantine until the baseline is met

What is most valuable?

Profiling to me is the solution's most valuable aspect. It gives you an extra edge, and you've got visibility on the status of the endpoints that are connected to your network. It becomes very easy for you to quickly update, and be able to see the level of availability that you have in the environment. It becomes very easy for you to manage your goals before they can even cause any issues.

For a network access control solution, Portnox is a very good solution. It offers great integration in heterogeneous environments that have a number of different vendor equipment. It is not limited, say, to one vendor. For a network access control solution, it's a very good solution.

Their dashboards are great and very easy to navigate.

It's so easy to set up, you may not need outside assistance.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any negative feedback in regard to the product as a whole. It's worked well for us and has very good features.

If the solution stayed as is, I'd be very happy with it.

However, if there was a change to the solution, it would be interesting if the Portnox team could include aspects of End-user behavior analytics (EUBA), with an aspect of AI to the already great profiling. But I already think quite highly of it.

I've been dealing with the solution for two years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. We don't have issues with it crashing or going offline. It's very reliable.

The licensing model is based on the number of users. Wireless is based on the number of access points. If I want to scale up, it's very easy. You just buy a new license and additional licenses for the users that you have.

From a scalability point of view, it becomes flexible, in that you can actually buy licenses for exactly the number of users you have, or a range of a number of users that you hope to have. Scalability is fine and doesn't cause any issues.

Unfortunately, I've never contacted technical support. It's very easy for any IT person to deploy the solution due to the fact that it's extremely straightforward. Everything is visible. The dashboard is clear. Therefore, I've never actually gotten a chance to talk to technical support as there's never been a need.

Maybe later, when they have a wider deployment, looking at having a number of sites on one CORE, I'll need their assistance. For now, I've not yet spoken to support. I only hope that their support is good when I do finally need to reach out.

It's straightforward. They have a variety of ways you can deploy it. You can deploy it even using an OVA if you're deploying in a virtual environment. The best thing about it is it's mostly agentless, which makes everything very easy. It's not tedious for a system admin to deploy. The product is very good in that regard. Other solutions need you to deploy agents all over the network, to endpoints that are connecting. This is sometimes administratively impossible. With Portnox, you don't need to worry about this, which is great.

It's fairly priced. From the features that are on offer, I would say that it gives you great value for money. Licensing model is great and is scalable

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise other organizations considering the solution to switch when you can. If you compare it to other solutions, other solutions are kind of tied to vendor-specific equipment. They have APIs to connect to other vendors. For Portnox, it's the usual communication interfaces that are already actually implemented within most hardware and most solutions.

It is very easy to work with the solution if you have an environment that has a number of different products, which is most of the IT Department across the world. Even if you have the same brand in the environment, it's very good. However, it is impossible to have one solution for doing everything.

It is a very, very nice product. I would recommend it to any customer. Even to deploy, it's quite easy, and the price is very good.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I have never had any issue switch it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Systems Integrator
    Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Identifies location of a device on a switch to verify if a user's challenge is network or device related
    • "There is an add-on feature for application control to kill unwanted applications when launched on a user's device."
    • "For the information security team, the security level was improved because it helped to manage and prevent rogue devices from connecting to the corporate network. The reporting was granular, and reports we scheduled for delivery on Portnox were useful during investigations and audits, especially in cases where the IP address changed."
    • "Portnox CORE can improve on support for unmanaged switches (or hubs) and other brands of network devices. These kinds of devices are still in use in organisations, especially SMEs who cannot afford to buy a managed switch."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of Portnox was for Network Access Control (NAC) and management. It was used to control and manage access to the network in my client's network. Unauthorised devices were locked out until approved and granted by the NAC manager. It showed information including the IP address, MAC address, hostname of device, username, switch location, and port number of where a device is connected to. It covers both wired and wireless.

Portnox CORE helped in securing my client's threat landscape from attackers and hackers.

How has it helped my organization?

For the information security team, the security level was improved because it helped to manage and prevent rogue devices from connecting to the corporate network. The reporting was granular, and reports we scheduled for delivery on Portnox were useful during investigations and audits, especially in cases where the IP address changed.

For network support, it helped in troubleshooting the type of connection challenge that a device or user experienced. Network engineers could identify the location of the device on a switch to verify if the user's challenge was network or device related.

What is most valuable?

NAS view page gave a virtual graphical view of the switches, similar to the physical view, and just like how you see the ports on them.

It has a feature to check the compliance state of computers. An example is for an antivirus. It checks if it was installed, installed but not running, or not installed, then it defines policy action based on compliance status, which it applies.

It supports a good number of known antivirus products.

It has scheduling reports for backward review of incidents.

Its knowledge base refers you to similar tickets or solutions.

What needs improvement?

Areas that Portnox CORE can improve include:

1. Support for unmanaged switches (or hubs) and other brands of network devices. These kinds of devices are still in use in organisations, especially SMEs who cannot afford to buy a managed switch.
    2. The licensing module. This should be reviewed to count the number of devices instead of port numbers of total switches. There is a case for this where not all ports for a switch are used by devices. Unused ports are calculated in the license, then the customer pays for license for those unused ports.

Over three years.

It is stable.

There has been progress from research and development when requests are made or something unusual is discovered during support.

Portnox customer service has been good and quick to respond.

Deployment is straightforward.

Vendor implementation.

The vendor price is fair. licensing was per total number of switch ports.

None.

Learn what your peers think about Portnox CORE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Bojan Lepenik
    Vodja projektov sistemskih rešitev at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Fairly priced, easy to set up and easy to use
    • "Technical support was very helpful when we needed them."
    • "The solution did have some stability issues, however, all I had to do was restart it."

What is our primary use case?

We just do some basic testing on how the product is working.

We are system integrators, and due to that, we are testing products to see if it makes sense to offer them to other customers.

How has it helped my organization?

For a company, the major point is visibility and also the control over who is accessing the network. With this product, you have visibility and also you have control if you want somebody in your network (or not).

What is most valuable?

The visibility of the product is excellent.

Overall, it was pretty good in terms of usage.

The initial setup was very easy.

The pricing is reasonable.

I have reason to believe you could scale the product if you needed to.

Technical support was very helpful when we needed them.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the configuration aspect of the product was easier. It's possible that the documentation could be better and could help with simplifying configuration steps.

We've only used the solution for two to three weeks. It's a product that is still relatively new to us. I tested about six or seven months ago now.

The solution is pretty stable. Not very stable, and yet stable enough. I had some issues with it, however, then I had to restart it. After that, it was fine.

I haven't really tested the scalability due to the fact that the test was not extended to find out how scalable it is. That said, it's my understanding that it is very scalable. For our purposes and how we will use it, it's fine.

The product seems to be best suited for small to medium-sized organizations.

Technical support was very good. They solved basically all my problems. I was quite satisfied with how helpful and responsive they were.

I did not find the initial setup to be overly complex or difficult. It was very straightforward and rather simple to deploy.

I handled the deployment and implementation process myself. I did not need the help of an integrator or consultant.

We have just some list prices, just so we can evaluate the product. That said, from what I have seen, the prices are okay. They're not cheap and they're not very expensive. They are okay in terms of what you get. It's reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner of Portnox.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to others based on its ease of use and simple implementation process.