IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is #19 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Palo Alto Networks K2-Series an average rating of 8 out of 10. Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is most commonly compared to Juniper SRX: Palo Alto Networks K2-Series vs Juniper SRX. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Palo Alto Networks K2-Series?

Designed to handle growing throughput needs due to increasing amounts of application-, user-, and device-generated data, the K2-Series offers amazing performance and threat prevention capabilities to stop advanced cyberattacks and secure mobile network infrastructure, subscribers, and services.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Customers
State of North Dakota, SEGA, Alameda County Office of Education, Temple University, VERGE, CAME
Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Video

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks K2-Series pricing:
  • "Palo Alto firewalls are very expensive."
  • "It would be nice if they lowered their prices for small businesses."
  • "When comparing Palo Alto Networks K2-Series with other solutions it is on the higher end of the price scale."
  • Palo Alto Networks K2-Series Reviews

Communications Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Stable with great deep inspection functionality and good scalability
    • "As long as the solution is kept updated, it's pretty stable."
    • "The licensing cost is a typical complaint with many clients. The solution is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, the solution is used as a perimeter-based firewall with a secondary firewall covering the servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Benefit wise with the speed of deep packet inspection, we've found it will assist with a quicker resolution to a potential false-positive alert. You're able to drill down. It's a third to probably 75% faster than a lot of the other premier firewalls on inspections. Therefore, your root cause analysis will then come to a resolution quicker. It's all about speed.

What is most valuable?

The deep inspection functionality is great. The solution scales well. As long as the solution is kept updated, it's pretty stable.  The solution provides a lot of value to the client.

What needs improvement?

The licensing cost is a typical complaint with many clients. The solution is expensive. In terms of automation, they could get better with it, especially with third-party integration. There are not too many products that will integrate with ease to the Palo Alto product set. They keep things locked down quite hard, which technically is also a benefit. That said, third-party integration definitely would be a benefit to us, as most of our implementations are two or even three different firewalls. Having third-party tools that integrate with all three or all two other products would be a benefit.
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Juniper, Cisco and others in Firewalls. Updated: May 2022.
    599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution since it came out, about seven years ago.

The stability of the product has to be put into a relative context. If people keep it upgraded and maintained, there are generally no issues. If they let it fall behind and we have to do a catch-up or leapfrog versions then there could be other complexities.

The solution is scalable. If a company puts in at the right requirements and they double it by 50%, which you should always do, then there is lots of headroom until the next refresh cycle. Any type of company can leverage the solution, from smaller organizations to very large enterprises. The main difference is if there's a higher security environment, the solution requires more attention. However, it has the capability to handle any size of setup.

I've never directly spoken with technical support and therefore cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

The solution is complex due to the fact that the salespeople from Palo Alto, or even from my firm will say, oh, we can just use this import wizard. However, that works to about a 60% level, and it does not do a complete import of Fortinet to Palo Alto or Cisco to a Palo Alto or Check Point to a Palo Alto.That's where the complexity comes in. The customer thinks it's going to be easy. The salespeople said it's going to be easy. However, it really is not.The time it takes to implement the solution is a hundred percent dependent upon the requirements of the solution. I've had firewalls taking six months to implement in a large retail environment and I've had also firewalls where you walk in and they give you just outbound requirements, and boom, it's up and out in two hours. That's why it really depends upon the complexity of the requirements.

The cost of the product is quite high. I deal in list price. I don't get into discounting due to the fact that I do everything on a solution based on the list price. I have seen super heavy discounts from Palo Alto, however. The licensing for Palo Alto is very straightforward. They include a lot in their base license. However, there may be features in there that are included and are buried in the base licensing cost that the customer will never use.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Palo Alto.  I'm dealing with all different versions of the solution and not necessarily just the most recent version. While most of what we work with is on-prem, many people are now moving to the cloud. I would advise those considering the solution to ensure that they have a knowledgeable installer. That is critical. Most of ours that we take over are watched installs. I rate the product at a nine out of ten. From a security/cost-benefit perspective, it's one of the best.

Industrial Controls Advisor at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's easy to centrally manage
    • "One of the most valuable features is Palo Alto's firewall management. We find it easier to manage the firewall centrally."
    • "In the past, we've had trouble with Palo Alto's application filtering not getting it right. I would not be recommending layer 7 application filtering yet."

What is our primary use case?

We have eight VFDs. We have the bigger firewalls. I forget the model number but they're the bigger ones. We have smaller ones—the 220s— so we have a pretty good range of Palo Alto firewalls that we use in our company.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is Palo Alto's firewall management. We find it easier to manage the firewall centrally.

What needs improvement?

In the past, we've had trouble with Palo Alto's application filtering not getting it right. I would not be recommending layer 7 application filtering yet. That's the only hiccup with the product line. In terms of the features, I'd like to see, one of the bigger pieces missing from any firewall system is the ability to monitor and report. I don't think there are any firewalls doing this, but I'd like to see firewalls have the ability to do what Splunk is doing automatically. In other words, the ability to provide log analysis and monitoring from a visualization standpoint would be very beneficial to any firewall. That doesn't really exist today.

There also needs to be a real methodology to maintain rules. They have rule sets in there and different ways of showing it, but the presentation isn't great. It's not a great presentation of where you have duplicate rules in place that makes it easy to find. Then again, I would say that no firewall company really has good management abilities for that. This isn't to badmouth Palo Alto. It's just that these features don't exist. So as we talk about where threat modeling and cybersecurity need to go, there's no one vendor with the best solution. It'd be nice if it would come in one platform. In other words, you buy their product, and they have a platform that includes that functionality.

We've used Palo Alto for nearly five years now. We formerly used Check Point exclusively, but now we're using Palo for all of our perimeter security and our VPN connection coming in.

Capability-wise, I think Palo Alto firewalls can pretty much handle anything thrown at them.

I haven't done a lot with tech support. But the guys that are doing it say that outside support from Palo Alto is really good.

Check Point and Palo Alto are very similar as far as the platform's concerned. On the low-end side, maybe for smaller solutions, Check Point firewalls seem to do just fine and are even a little better. Their low-end products are better as far as performance is concerned. At the high-end, they can't touch the Palo Altos. The Palo Altos seem to be significantly better at handling more load and they can service larger throughput in their environment. I would say Palo Alto, overall, has a better, more reliable product line.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Palo Alto firewalls an eight out of 10.

May 2022
    599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Data Center - Assistant Group Manager (Information Security) at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Excellent support, and easy initial setup and great features
    • "The company is inventive and always adds a lot of great features."
    • "When it comes to renewing the solution, they tend to try to jack up the pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a next-generation firewall.

What is most valuable?

This company is a leader in the space.

The company is inventive and always adds a lot of great features.

The support on the solution is excellent.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

The company needs to align better with the customer. At the price point they offer, they need to be as good or better than the competition. They're losing market because they aren't there yet in that regard.

We've been using the solution for almost five years now.

From a hardware point of view, we don't face any issues whatsoever. It's not glitchy or buggy. It doesn't crash. it's reliable.

The technical support has been excellent. We've very satisfied with the level of service they provide. It's one of the main selling features of the product.

Compared to the competition, support is excellent across the board.

We don't find the solution to be overly complex in terms of the initial setup. They make their implementation process pretty clear.

The deployment can happen in one week. It doesn't take too long. Sometimes, if you are new to the product, it might take a month or so.

We tend to use consultants when we implement the solution.

The licensing costs are too high. They need to become more competitive in that regard. We constantly need to bargain to get better pricing.

They tend to take advantage once the product has been sold to us. From a renewal point of view, the price is very high. They are demanding. That itself is creating a bad mark on them.

From a cost perspective, I'd rate the solution two out of ten.

I am trying to avoid Palo Alto, even though they have a very good solution, specifically due to the cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

From a technical support perspective, I'd easily rate them nine out of ten. If they didn't try to price gouge on renewals, I'd likely rate them higher.

Due to their pricing strategy, especially around renewals, I would not recommend them. We have 20+ firewalls, and we feel the heat when it comes time to renew the solution.

Security Technical Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to manage with a web-based interface, and the WildFire option is helpful
    • "This firewall is very good for our customers because they don't have to write their own rules for adding an application."
    • "The reporting functionality in GlobalProtect needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this Palo Alto K2-Series is one of the firewall products that we implement for our customers.

What is most valuable?

This firewall is very good for our customers because they don't have to write their own rules for adding an application.

The WildFire feature is very good.

Using Panorama and the web interface makes it easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The reporting functionality in GlobalProtect needs to be improved. Other products, such as Check Point, have better reporting features that give more reports.

The price of the K2-Series should be lowered.

The dashboard could be improved by adding more GUI components.

We have about three years of experience with the Palo Alto K2-Series in my company, although I have only been working with this solution for about one year.

Palo Alto is very stable. In my previous job, I had not faced any stability issues.

All of the higher-level Palo Alto products are scalable.

We are the first level of support for our customers. If the problem is very complicated and we cannot solve it then we open a case through the distributor, which is the second level. After that, if they cannot solve it, the case is escalated directly to the Palo Alto technical team. Generally, if we cannot solve it then the distributor cannot either.

We also have experience with Check Point firewalls, as well as with solutions from Fortinet. I think that Palo Alto is better than Check Point in terms of threat prevention, and both of these are better than Fortinet. Palo Alto, however, is very expensive compared to Fortinet.

Check Point has better reporting and a better dashboard but is more difficult to install. Price-wise, they are similar.

The initial setup is very easy compared to Check Point. It is not hard for me to install and configure features such as High Availability.

We implement and deploy this solution for our customers. We also provide maintenance and support.

Palo Alto firewalls are very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Yassia Savadogo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cybersec Consultant at Freelance
    Stable, easy to set up, and offers good visibility
    • "We've found the solution offers us good stability."
    • "I'd like to see more data protection on the system."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protection, especially web protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It's great at protecting very important aspects of our company, particularly our servers.

What is most valuable?

We enjoy the amount of visibility we have in terms of security within our infrastructure.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product scales well.

We've found the solution offers us good stability.

Technical support is helpful and responsive.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. Right now, it's an aspect that is lacking. They should make it more user-friendly. There are too many options visible right now, which makes it confusing. They need to streamline and simplify it.

I'd like to see more data protection on the system. It needs a DLP, a Data Loss Prevention, system.

We've been using the solution for just over five years. We've used it since 2015 or so.

The solution is stable and reliable. The performance is good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is there if you need to expand it. It's good.

We have 100 or so users that are using Palo Alto in our organization at this time.

We do have plans to increase usage in the future. We're likely to scale it.

The technical supports has been really good so far. They respond quickly to our requests. We're quite satisfied with the level of service.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. We found the implementation to be very easy in general. We didn't have any problems.

The product can be expensive. It's not the cheapest option on the market.

However, I do find it to be less expensive than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We also work for other companies and help install the product.

The solution is perfect. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

Palo Alto is very affordable and very good overall. They respond quickly to our needs. Palo Alto detects a lot of cybersecurity threats, which has been great.

Aleksandar Jovanovic - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at E-smart systems
    Boasts many great features that cover all markets from small businesses to large enterprises
    • "Everything I could possibly want has already been implanted in the new version."
    • "It would be nice if it could easily be integrated with Elasticsearch or Nagios."

What is our primary use case?

We use the firewalls to defend our perimeter and data center.

What is most valuable?

For me personally, the support, in general, is the feature I have found most valuable.

Palo Alto boasts a lot of great features that cover all markets from small businesses to large enterprises.

It's very easy to see everything on the dashboards.

It would be nice if it could easily be integrated with Elasticsearch or Nagios for monitoring and reporting.

What needs improvement?

They should lower their prices for small businesses. They should offer subscriptions or box-sets because a lot of companies want to buy it, but they just can't afford it.

It's not that expensive necessarily; the market is just doing poorly at the moment.

Everything I could possibly want has already been implanted into the new version, including the Internet of Things, machine learning, and SD-WAN; every feature I wanted has already been integrated.

I have been using this solution for roughly eight years.

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is very stable. I've never had a problem with Palo Alto. The only problem we experienced with it was when the fan broke down — even then, it still kept on working without the fan. No harm was done and Palo Alto replaced it very quickly.

This solution is very scalable.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It only took us a few hours. On the other hand, deployment times vary. Sometimes it takes just a few hours, and other times, due to testing, it can take months. It's not complicated, but when you have to replace something, you have to consider the amount of testing before you put it into production.

We are the integrators.

I would recommend Palo Alto. With Cisco, when you engage Firepower, the performance decreases. Next generation functions with Palo Alto are much, much better.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks K2-Series a rating of ten.

You should always choose the best version of a solution. As your company grows, you will want to work with more power and better features.

Technical Advisor to COO at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Stable and scalable overall but support is worse than most competitors
    • "Palo Alto firewalls are scalable enough. We have about 110 employees in our company, and we are about to expand to 130."
    • "If we have issues, they take anywhere from two days to a week to respond. I even wrote to their CEO because there was no response. When it comes to support, this is the worst company."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a telecom operator, so all of my IT and network management stuff is behind this firewall.

What needs improvement?

Palo Alto K2-Series firewalls could use some technical improvements, like main and standby, as well as FTU and STU support. In addition, they should upgrade the CPU, and there are so many other things that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

I've been using Palo Alto firewalls for two years.

Product-wise, it's stable, but it takes too long to switch between main and standby — maybe 10 to 12 seconds — and sometimes my traffic cuts out, yes. Also, the CPU processing power is not so good.

Palo Alto firewalls are scalable enough. We have about 110 employees in our company, and we are about to expand to 130.

Most firewall companies offer similar products, like Fortinet, etc., but Palo Alto support is not as good as its competitors. Palo Alto is almost zero. If we have issues, they take anywhere from two days to a week to respond. I even wrote to their CEO because there was no response. When it comes to support, this is the worst company.

We have no idea how complicated the setup is. An agent from Palo Alto did all that and then conducted some training. And if we need something, we have to call the agent.

The price is high, but we've already purchased these two boxes, so we have to continue using them for some time. Unfortunately, the salesperson we worked with isn't a Diamond-level agent, so he couldn't give us good discounts. But maybe a lower price is possible.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Palo Alto K2-Series Firewall six out of 10.

Senior Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Beneficial central management, useful updates, and reliable
    • "The most valuable feature of Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is its management abilities. Additionally, the updates are very good."
    • "We had some issues with upgrading in the past. They could make the process easier."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Palo Alto Networks K2-Series as a perimeter firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Palo Alto Networks K2-Series is its management abilities. Additionally, the updates are very good.

What needs improvement?

Palo Alto Networks K2-Series has improved their central management but if they could improve upon it more that would be a great benefit.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks K2-Series for approximately 12 years.

The solution is very stable, we have had no issues.

We had some scalability issues with Palo Alto Networks K2-Series. I do not know how good the hardware firewalls are, but the cloud platform is scalable.

When we had some minor issues we were in contact with the technical support and they were very good. We have not used the support often.

The initial setup was easy.

When comparing Palo Alto Networks K2-Series with other solutions it is on the higher end of the price scale.

This solution is best suited for small to medium-sized businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Palo Alto Networks K2-Series a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Juniper, Cisco, and more!
    Updated: May 2022