IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Data Relationship Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Data Relationship Management is #10 ranked solution in top Master Data Management (MDM) Software tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Data Relationship Management an average rating of 10 out of 10. Oracle Data Relationship Management is most commonly compared to SAP Master Data Governance: Oracle Data Relationship Management vs SAP Master Data Governance. Oracle Data Relationship Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Master Data Management (MDM) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Data Relationship Management?

Oracle Data Relationship Management helps proactively manage changes in master data across operational, analytical, and enterprise performance management silos. Users may make changes in their departmental perspectives while ensuring conformance to enterprise standards. Whether processing financial or analytical information, Oracle Data Relationship Management delivers timely, accurate, and consistent master data to drive ongoing operational execution, business intelligence, and performance management.

Oracle Data Relationship Management Customers

MTN, SITA

Oracle Data Relationship Management Video

Archived Oracle Data Relationship Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Brian Dandeneau - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Process and Strategy Specialist Advisor at NTTData
It provides a central place to maintain hierarchies that are pushed to multiple applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Having a central place to maintain hierarchies that are pushed to multiple applications reduces the headache of the business user chasing their tail trying to figure out what the difference is. Since you have hierarchies centrally maintained, everyone is working from the same starting point.

What is most valuable?

Management of metadata for multiple downstream applications Ability to add complex business logic so that attributes get assigned automatically

What needs improvement?

The last area that needed to be improved has gone through major renovations with the latest release. DRM now comes with a workflow capability that rivals most workflow that you have to pay for separately if you use other metadata applications. If you hard-code values into the properties, you'll get customer complaints that DRM is "running slow."

I've been using it for 10 years.
Master Data Management (MDM) Software
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Informatica, SAP and others in Master Data Management (MDM) Software. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

DRM is one of the most stable metadata applications if, as with any other tool, you use it correctly. Don't hard-code values into the properties as this is the largest culprit of customers saying that DRM is "running slow." Another stability issue is what we call "cliff hierarchies" where you have a parent node and an excessive number of children. Once you get to a number of children that doesn't fit on a screen, maybe it's time to add another parent to break up that section of the hierarchy.

They only issue that I have had with scalability was when a client insisted having SKU-level information in DRM. DRM is not a SKU-level tool, so please use the proper Oracle tools to manage at that level.

Customer Service: DRM customer service is top notch since it is a small set of people that use it. The people who answer the questions are knowledgeable. Technical Support: Technical support is top notch. I have never had an SR come to the point of, "I don't know how to fix this issue." It's always, "here is a workaround" and/ or "we will have the patch shortly."

Most people move from a home-grown Java process. We made the switch because the person who originally created the process was leaving or had left the company or planned to retire, putting them in a high-risk position.

Just follow the prompts for the basic setup. The API is slightly more complex, but if you need help, just look at the admin guide.

I have installed and upgraded both in-house and with a vendor. Honestly, if you have a good DBA who can read and make themselves knowledgeable with the product, you will be OK with the basic install and setup. When it comes to more advanced setup, that's when you need a vendor.

This is a pay-by-node software, so it really depends on you corporation.

What other advice do I have?

DRM is an all-around great solution for managing your metadata. It not only gets all your hierarchies in one central location, it also gets your business more involved with the management of metadata.

Other
Brian Dandeneau - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Process and Strategy Specialist Advisor at NTTData
All your hierarchy/metadata information can be accessed and maintained in one central location.

What is our primary use case?

You have multiple hierarchies and downstream applications that need to be kept in sync. There is a need for alternative hierarchies and customization of the outputs to the downstream applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Have you ever been in those Governance meetings that are always to long already and always run over that obnoxiously long time? I have. I just got through implementing the workflow in DRM at a client that this issue was prominent at. People were not showing up to meeting because they simply didn't have FOUR hours to burn in a meeting where most of the time was spent looking for missing approvals and supporting documents.

Implementing the workflow portion of DRM which is called Data Relationship Governance(DRG) the client cut that time down to an hour. This brought attendance to a all time high of 100% participation, this also meant that they had time to talk about more important things like the what was going on in the company, bringing them closer together and more efficient as a team.

What is most valuable?

What makes DRM valuable to a Company? Well, Its Agnostic! That right, sure it has some direct integrations with some specific EPM tools, which are super sweet, but it can write directly to a Database table, File, or even XML. Imagine a life where all your hierarchy/metadata information is can be accessed and maintained in one central location. Wouldn't that be great!

Automation is handled by a very simple batch script, which if variables are done properly are super flexible and will reduce maintenance.

The ability to customized properties in DRM help went adding new member to the hierarchy. Lets say you have an organizational hierarchy and you get a new employee. Just think of some of the things that you could Dictate about that employee biased on what his manager is? Have you thought about all the manual things that you are going to have to define about him or her? What if I told you that you could create properties that when you add an employee it would tag that said employee with all of that information. Now this is a interesting example of how DRM can work, but its not limited to your employees. Think about your down stream applications. Do those applications have a hierarchy? Yes

What needs improvement?

The only area that I could see that DRM could need improvement is well...nothing. Knowing where DRM/MDM/Razza/BankOne came from, I like it just the way it is.

10 years+

They only time that we had issues with Stability was back when it was 11.1.1, since going to 11.1.2 the stability has been outstanding.

DRM is a metadata tool, however I have seen companies try to put information that DRM was never intended to manage. That would be the only scalability problem that you would have. Basically know the person implementing it. make sure they are asking all the right questions.

Oracle customer service it top notch.

When you need tech support you will get someone knowledgable.

Database tables. Switched too DRM to save time, frustration, Money. Using a customized solution is never good for governance as there are very little actual governance taking place.

Initial setup is very straight forward, just follow the wizard.

Vendor team. DRM needs a person with some expertise to make sure that you aren't creating something that is unmanageable. DRM comes with very little actually in it. Mostly custom.

The ROI will be a few years. DRM/DRG is really expensive. There are other options out there for less money and you get more. EPMware comes to mind they have an unlimited node count and direct connections to up and downstream systems.

DRM can be a little bit expensive. Negotiate with the sales person and hold out of a reasonable price.

I did but that was a long time ago so I don't remember what other tools were in the running. I think one of the other tools that we evaluated was EPMware. EPMware actually beat DRM in every category but the client was so invested in Oracle we HAD to use DRM/DRG. That client has since moved off DRM and DRG to EPMware.

What other advice do I have?

Design before you build. Take everything into consideration. Implement DRM and force your business users to get involved in the conversations as they are going to be the people entering information into DRM or DRG.

Give those Business users the power to do what they should be able to, they do know the most about the business anyway.

Master Data Management (MDM) Software
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user517623 - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
It has enabled us to replaced existing legacy custom built solutions. Integrating with non-Oracle Products needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

As a product that integrates out of the box with Oracle EBS and Hyperion the product has proved to be a great step forward in allowing us to manage reference data across multiple platforms and something that we were able to deploy quite easily. Key has been the standard integration with the other Oracle products. The ability to manage hierarchies with various versions has also proved useful as has the what if capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to replaced existing legacy custom built solutions whilst at the same time providing greater functionality and flexibility. We are now able to produce hierarchical reporting at a much greater consistentcy.

What needs improvement?

Integrating with non-Oracle Products needs improvement, it only provides a text output file. Another area that would be useful is in mastering combinations and with Cross validations rules. That would make integration and translation from legacy systems easier to manage.

This has been in use with us for 18 months.

Nothing substantial. Once we understood the scope of the capabilities it was fairly straightforward.

Not yet.

We switched from a very old custom solution.

We used OCS who had full knowledge of the system.