Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is the #7 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics: Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse vs Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse?

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is the world’s first and only autonomous database optimized for analytic workloads, including data marts, data warehouses, data lakes, and data lakehouses. With Autonomous Data Warehouse, data scientists, business analysts, and nonexperts can rapidly, easily, and cost-effectively discover business insights using data of any size and type. Built for the cloud and optimized using Oracle Exadata, Autonomous Data Warehouse benefits from faster performance and, according to an IDC report (PDF), lowers operational costs by an average of 63%.

Autonomous Database provides the foundation for a data lakehouse—a modern, open architecture that enables you to store, analyze, and understand all your data. The data lakehouse combines the power and richness of data warehouses with the breadth, flexibility, and low cost of popular open source data lake technologies. Access your data lakehouse through Autonomous Database using the world's most powerful and open SQL processing engine.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Customers

Hertz, TaylorMade Golf, Outront Media, Kingold, FSmart, Drop-Tank

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Video

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse pricing:
  • "Cloud solutions are cheaper, but in the long run, they may not be much cheaper. They certainly have a lower initial cost. The licensing is yearly, and it is based on the size of the hardware and the number of users."
  • "You pay as you go, and you don't pay for services that you don't use."
  • Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Reviews

Web Developer at NuBean
    Integrates well with other cloud services, provides great ROI and guarantees 99.995% up-time
    • "The solution is self-securing. All data is encrypted and security updates and patches are applied automatically both periodically and off-cycle."
    • "The solution could be improved by allowing for migration tools from other cloud services, including migration from Amazon Redshift, RDS, and Aurora."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for many things, including:

How has it helped my organization?

No database installation, configuration, or maintenance is needed.

The autonomous database provides several benefits and unmatched performance. It is self-driving, self-securing, and self-repairing.

Self-driving implies that all routine administration tasks including provisioning, performing backups and recovery, making fault-tolerant fail-overs, applying patches, performing upgrades, optimizing and tuning for performance, and scaling are all fully automated.

Self-securing implies that all data is encrypted and security updates and patches are applied automatically both periodically and off-cycle. The option for encryption keys to be managed by a user is provided.

Self-repairing implies that the database detects and recovers from failure of any sort, such as a single node failure, without user intervention.

What is most valuable?

The product is available on Oracle Cloud.

It guarantees 99.995% up-time.

There is no installation, configuration, or maintenance needed.

It integrates easily with other cloud services.

The product is self-driving. All routine administration tasks including provisioning, performing backups and recovery, making fault-tolerant fail-overs, applying patches, performing upgrades, optimizing and tuning for performance, and scaling are all fully automated.

What needs improvement?

The service could be improved by:

• Providing Access to SYS schema
    • Allowing access to SYSTEM schema
    • Provisioning to apply user patches, and not just automated patches
    • Having provisions to administer the database by a DBA as an add-on to autonomous management
    • Getting provisions for fine-grained configuration
    • Allowing for migration tools from other cloud services, including migration from Amazon Redshift, RDS, and Aurora
    • Data Pump integration
    • Simplified Integration with other Oracle cloud services such as the Autonomous Container Database
    • Simplified migration from a local database
    Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for more than three years.

The product is highly stable. Oracle Autonomous Database is a next-generation, first-of-a-kind, revolutionary, mission-critical data management in the cloud service. The autonomous database eliminates the need for data management by a database administrator (DBA) which is error-prone.

Stability implies that the database is reliable with guaranteed 99.9% Availability. The database recovers from failures automatically.

The solution has automated scaling based on need and usage.

The product offers excellent support.

Positive

We previously used AWS RDS and switched to Oracle Autonomous Database due to its ease of provisioning and access.

No setup is required as the service is fully automated, and runs on Oracle Cloud. Only an account registration is needed.

We did not use a third-party vendor.

We've seen an ROI of +90%.

Setup cost is not an issue as the service is on Oracle's Cloud. The Oracle Cloud Free Tier is an always free cloud service, with limited resource capacity.

We evaluated Amazon RDS and Amazon EC2.

Other
    Head of Data and Analytics at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good integration with decent stability, but has a complex setup
    • "The solution integrates well with Power BI."
    • "The initial setup was pretty complex. It was not easy."

What is our primary use case?

We used to report all reports from Oracle. We centralized all the connections in the data warehouse, and we have a business intelligence team that makes all the reports for the company. The database connects with Power BI to show the dashboard to the management team.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well with Power BI.

While I'm not on the technical side and instead manage the team, I haven't heard of any complaints related to the user interface, configuration, or customization.

The product, overall, seems to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

We are thinking of changing to a data warehouse on the cloud. I don't know if Oracle is in the cloud as well or if we will turn to another solution such as Google Cloud.

The initial setup was pretty complex. It was not easy.

It would be ideal if the company could manage semi-structured data such as JSON. Some other data warehouses can handle that. However, Oracle doesn't seem to be able to.

I'm new to the company. The solution is also new and was installed in October 2020.

The solution is quite stable. Once you have configured and set it up it's a very stable solution. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It offers reliable performance.

I'm not sure how scalable the solution is in the current format we have. Due to the fact that it's an on-premise solution, we have some constraints with the scalability. A cloud solution would be more scalable.

Currently, we have 50 users engaged with the solution.

Technical support is likely fine. I've never heard of any complaints about their level of service. I have never dealt with them personally, however. I can't directly speak to any personal experiences. I don't know if they are knowledgeable or responsive.

I'm new in the company. I know this solution is new as well. It is the new direction the company is trying. We installed the solution in October. However, before that, it is my understanding that we had Oracle also, although it was an older version. I am not aware of the company using a different solution.

The initial setup was now straightforward or easy. It was rather complex. A company needs to be prepared for that when they implement it.

I don't handle the billing or licensing aspect of the solution. I don't have any insights into the cost of the product or how many licenses the company holds.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of Oracle. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm not sure of which version we are using. I don't know the version number off-hand.

In general, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. It's okay, however, the company has shown interest in moving away from on-premises in favor of some type of cloud solution.

Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Abhik Ray - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-Founder at Quantic
    Extremely fast, works very well for structured data but not for unstructured data and online analysis
    • "One advantage is that if you already have an Oracle Database, it easily integrates with that."
    • "It doesn't work well when you have unstructured data or you need online analytics. It is not as nice as Hadoop in these aspects."

What is our primary use case?

It is used by banking customers. Oracle is strong in banking, and many of their existing customers do use or continue to use Oracle solutions.

What is most valuable?

If you are using structured data, it works pretty well. They have engineered their hardware, which is based on Sun, to work with their database and data warehouse in an optimal way. So, the data exchange is extremely fast and good. If it is just tabular data, it works really well. I like that part.

What needs improvement?

It is good as data warehouses go, but it is not that good for really big data.

It doesn't work well when you have unstructured data or you need online analytics. It is not as nice as Hadoop in these aspects.

It is stable.

It is scalable. It is good for data warehouses, but it is not that good for big data. In the environments where I have seen it being used, there were probably 20 to 25 people working with this solution.

I would rate them a four out of five.

Positive

We also work with Hadoop and Teradata. We are neutral, and we are open to working with any of them. There is no preference.

Its setup is somewhat simpler than Hadoop because it does not have so many components. We have had two—in some cases, three—people in the past for the deployment.

In terms of maintenance, after some time, you probably don't need permanent staff for maintenance. Once it is in a steady state, our observation is that the clients can survive with on-call support. The IT department of the bank is able to manage without external consultants. They do the operational stuff, and if there is a problem, we help them, but after some time, support is not required 24/7. Previously, it was also available on-premises, and then they re-architected it to be on the cloud. Now, they're on the cloud, which is another reason it does not require on-premises support.

I don't have any reliable data, but the customers are okay with it. They have not had any complaints.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Notable performance and scalability, priced reasonably, and you only pay for services that you use
    • "The performance and scalability are awesome."
    • "It is very important the integration with other platforms be made to be as easy as it is with an on-premises deployment."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for bigger projects that involve a large number of transactions. For companies with these requirements, it is perfect.

At this point, we don't have any customers on this platform because, unfortunately, in our country, we are still lagging behind when we talk about the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The performance and scalability are awesome.

I think that is the best solution for big data warehouses. Larger companies need this kind of solution. Since it is autonomous, you don't have to worry about things like database administration.

The only thing that you have to be concerned with is the data modeling, and how you want the data, or your client's data, to be presented. Since the data warehousing task is quite big, it will give you more time to decide on how you want the data to be presented.

What needs improvement?

It is very important the integration with other platforms be made to be as easy as it is with an on-premises deployment. On-premises,  you can integrate with different vendors such as Microsoft. There should be flexibility in terms of how you can accomplish things and not just with a single vendor, but with all vendors.

I have been using the Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse for the past month.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

There is no installation for this cloud-based system.

You pay as you go, and you don't pay for services that you don't use. If you feel that you need additional resources then you can increase them and pay only for them. There is no need to worry about paying for something that you don't use.

Licensing depends also on how you want to store your data. For example, some clients use a hybrid approach, where some data is stored on the cloud and other data is stored on-premises.

Overall, I think that the price is quite cheap, and they gave me a $300 credit.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am quite happy with this product. I recommend it to my customers and I will continue recommending it to others.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Other
    Research Analyst
    Maintains very good security with automated protection security preventing access where necessary
    • "A very good integration feature that restricts access to unauthorized people."
    • "The solution lacks visibility options."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a research analyst and we are customers of Oracle.

What is most valuable?

The integration feature is very good because you can automate protection security automatically, restricting the access of unauthorized people. It can also maintain security in terms of service failure, service protection, and the duration of the disruption.

What needs improvement?

Oracle should increase visibility options because what's available now is limited. Experienced users are easily able to understand everything, but from a layman's perspective, it's confusing and can be difficult to understand the steps required. In that sense, the solution requires an upgrade. I recently worked with the machine learning model offered by Oracle and could only find the visualization, without other options. There should be additional 3D, and 4D representations as well as other options that competitors such as Azure are offering for machine learning models. Azure offers its own machine learning studio, so Oracle should do the same, not only for machine learning but for all the database services.

I've been using this solution for about four months.

The solution is generally stable.

The scalability is very good.

The technical support is very good because we initially had a few challenges that we were unable to solve, and the support team was able to solve them quickly.

Positive

The configuration in our company took a few weeks and we implemented it in-house. We deployed the solution with the help of Oracle Autonomous Database. I would suggest that any company still relying on an on-premises environment should migrate towards a cloud service provider, whether it's Microsoft, Oracle, or Azure. We have around eight to 10 users.

Licensing costs are paid on an annual basis and are reasonable although I'd like to see technical support included in the license fee.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022