Oracle Application Development Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Development Framework is the #7 ranked solution in top Java Frameworks. PeerSpot users give Oracle Application Development Framework an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Oracle Application Development Framework is most commonly compared to Spring Boot: Oracle Application Development Framework vs Spring Boot. Oracle Application Development Framework is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Java Frameworks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Oracle Application Development Framework?

Oracle ADF is an end-to-end Java EE framework that simplifies application development by providing out-of-the-box infrastructure services and a visual and declarative development experience. Oracle ADF simplifies Java EE development by minimizing the need to write code that implements the application’s infrastructure allowing the developers to focus on the features of the actual application. Oracle ADF provides these infrastructure implementations as part of the framework. It also implements the Model-View-Controller design pattern and offers an integrated solution that covers all the layers of the architecture integrated with the Oracle SOA and WebCenter Portal frameworks.

Oracle Application Development Framework was previously known as Oracle ADF.

Oracle Application Development Framework Customers

Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) of Egypt, Red Samurai, ChB Jelly House

Oracle Application Development Framework Video

Oracle Application Development Framework Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Application Development Framework pricing:
  • "The solution has an annual licensing cost and there are only standard fees. If you want Oracle support this is charged extra on top of the licensing fees."
  • "We have yearly licensing costs."
  • Oracle Application Development Framework Reviews

Assistant Manager at cloudsoftjo
    Reseller
    Lacking optimization, end of life support, but enables rapid development
    • "The most valuable feature of the Oracle Application Development Framework is the rapid development and the security it provides."
    • "Oracle Application Development Framework is set to go out of support over the next three years but they should provide support for the solution for the longer term. Additionally, there needs to be more overall optimization and specifically in webpage rendering. The solution uses a lot of resources, and in order for them to move forward, they would have to create a smaller resource impact."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Application Development Framework mainly for ERP applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the Oracle Application Development Framework is the rapid development and the security it provides.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Application Development Framework is set to go out of support over the next three years but they should provide support for the solution for the longer term. Additionally, there needs to be more overall optimization and specifically in webpage rendering. The solution uses a lot of resources, and in order for them to move forward, they would have to create a smaller resource impact.

I have been using Oracle Application Development Framework for approximately 10 years.

October 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Apache and others in Java Frameworks. Updated: October 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Oracle Application Development Framework is a stable solution

The scalability of the Oracle Application Development Framework is good, it scales well.

There can be hundreds of users using this solution. In some project, there has been 100 to 500 users using it.

The initial setup of the Oracle Application Development Framework difficulty depends on the use case. For example, it can be straightforward for small applications but if you need high availability, you need to configure a cluster and many other aspects.

For a small application deployment, the initial setup can take approximately five minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I prefer to tell developers to bring in the new technology rather than use Oracle Application Development Framework, such as TypeScript or Angular. This will allow client-side scripting in the backend by using solutions, such as Spring Framework.

Oracle Application Development Framework has some minor drawbacks, especially in rendering with pages and bugs in business components. It's not a typical framework, it's a very heavy framework.

Over the next two years or three years, the major developers will shift from Oracle Application Development Framework to new client-type technology. There is a newer solution called Oracle JET, but it has no push from Oracle. Most likely they have to move to Angular, TypeScript, or React with the backend being Spring Framework or J2EE Framework.

I rate Oracle Application Development Framework a five out of ten.

Java Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    A database-centric and full-stack solution, but the model layer needs performance optimization
    • "It's database-centric, and it's seemingly easy to use the model–view–controller pattern that's built-in."
    • "The model layer could be improved for performance because once that part gets bloated, the performance is lacking. So, there is room for performance optimization."

What is our primary use case?

It's mainly used for building enterprise web applications.

What is most valuable?

It's a full-stack solution, so there is also the possibility to build complex UIs using JavaServer Faces and its components.

What needs improvement?

On the View Controller part, the UI components could be improved because the look and feel is very outdated.

I've been using it for about five to six years.

It's stable.

That's where I have issues with it. It's said that it's scalable, but I have found that it's a bit lacking in that department. Once it gets too big, the performance goes significantly down.

My team, consisting of 10 to 12 developers, uses this application framework. It's mostly used in Europe on projects in the public sector.

I haven't interacted with them, but there are forums. There are specialists who have blog posts regarding certain issues, but I haven't written directly to their support.

It's fairly easy. There is a guideline for it. It takes from a couple of seconds to one or two minutes depending on the size of the application.

What other advice do I have?

To anyone evaluating or planning to use this solution, I would advise grasping the idea that is a database-centric framework. You'll have to work down to up from the database layer. You have to know how the components are configured and go through the whole learning path.

I would rate it a six out of ten.

October 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Shadi Abu Omar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Java EE & Oracle Fusion Middleware Dev at Microsystems
    Is stable, scalable, and easy to set up and all parts of this application are compatible with single sign-on
    • "The single sign-on features applied to Oracle Cloud is a valuable feature. All parts of this application are compatible with single sign-on, where you have a security feature that is very good in Oracle Cloud."
    • "You need to have Oracle ADF on-premises to build a big project. You need to have a dependable front-end application."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It needs to be the same or much better than Oracle SOA and Oracle PPM on-premises.

You need to have  Oracle ADF on-premises to build a big project. You need to have a dependable front-end application.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It is deployed both on public and private cloud environments.

It is very stable because it is a cloud solution. I can promise that you won't face many major issues.

Because it is a cloud solution, it's very scalable. This is the main purpose of a cloud solution.

I would rate Oracle's technical support at eight on a scale from one to ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Mainly, the setup is straightforward, and the deployment took a few days. Also, the Oracle documentation is very good regarding the cloud.

We had an in-house integrator who deployed the solution.

We have yearly licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

The technology in Oracle Service Bus is very good. You need to have good staff because this technology is new and needs very specialized staff to work on it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at eight.

Senior Associate at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Great for developing pages and applications very rapidly, unfortunately the UI is not up to standard
    • "We can create objects that allow us to develop pages and applications very rapidly."
    • "The UI is very slow and not up to market standard."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are in the UAE and I'm the technical lead at a health insurance company.

What is most valuable?

The solution enables us to create objects that allow us to develop pages and applications very rapidly.

What needs improvement?

The UI is very slow when compared to other similar frameworks, and it's not up to market standard. I'd like to be able to achieve more implementation in terms of UI and in terms of application loading. They need to focus on application model objects to reduce the object phase so that it loads when the application is loading. I hope that in the next release things will improve because we sometimes experience performance issues.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is very stable but stability needs to be improved when it's taking views and loading on the screen. Application models sometimes come up with errors.

If you add a more robust infrastructure then scalability is good. If you don't add anything more than web logic you might have problems.

The technical support should be improved. It's not as good as you get from other solutions. We don't get responses in a timely fashion and we end up doing workarounds to solve issues.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Download our free Java Frameworks Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Apache, and more!
    Updated: October 2022