Netwrix Auditor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Netwrix Auditor is the #3 ranked solution in top Active Directory Management tools and #4 ranked solution in top GRC tools. PeerSpot users give Netwrix Auditor an average rating of 9.4 out of 10. Netwrix Auditor is most commonly compared to Quest Change Auditor for Active Directory: Netwrix Auditor vs Quest Change Auditor for Active Directory. Netwrix Auditor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the GRC Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Netwrix Auditor?

Netwrix Auditor is a visibility platform for user behavior analysis and risk mitigation that enables control over changes, configurations and access in hybrid IT environments to protect data regardless of its location. The platform provides security intelligence to identify security holes, detect anomalies in user behavior and investigate threat patterns in time to prevent real damage.

Netwrix Auditor Customers
AT&T, SanDisk, Siemens, Verizon, Electrolux, Allianz, Societe Generale
Netwrix Auditor Video

Netwrix Auditor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Netwrix Auditor pricing:
"There is a license for this solution and we are on an annual license. The price is reasonable."

Netwrix Auditor Reviews

Vice President Operations at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Provides a single pane of glass to monitor, validate, and audit usage and data type classifications
  • "It maintains audit logs for the duration of time that you wish, as long as you have the storage capacity to do so."
  • "I expect usability features to become more refined over time. I'm interested to see how it evolves and continues to improve."
  • "If you buy direct, there is a minimum of 150 licenses that must be procured. The price point and barrier of entry is a little bit higher than it would be if you purchased the solution from an authorized reseller partner, rather than buying it and managing yourself."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for data classification by type, auditing access, and for the use of any type of data sets, from file server to SQL server.

It's used for compliance management, auditing, and tracking as a part of the CMMC regulations. For Department of Defense and supply chain organizations, CMMC is the new governing standard, which used to be for NIST 800-71. They're a set of controls and predefined methodologies for organizations to validate what they're doing to prevent bad guys from coming in and good data from going out, inadvertently or intentionally.

There are about 120 people on staff at a given time who use this solution and have access to class-controlled data.

We have evaluated Netwrix Auditor as a product solution to meet compliance management needs for an engagement we're working on. We're a Netwrix partner, and we're resellers.

What is most valuable?

It maintains audit logs for the duration of time that you wish, as long as you have the storage capacity to do so.

It's a very solid software product that allows you to meet those needs. You simply install the agent and the server in the environment, and you can run the application. For the most part, it does the work for you. There are some classifications that you need to put in place. From there, it provides you with a single pane of glass to monitor, validate, and essentially audit use and data type classifications.

What needs improvement?

I expect usability features to become more refined over time. I'm interested to see how it evolves and continues to improve.

The stability is solid. There haven't been any hiccups. It's incredibly efficient and functional. It's not disruptive to data sets or any of the features or functionalities in an environment.

GRC
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Netwrix, Galvanize, RSA and others in GRC. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's absolutely scalable. It's going in your infrastructure, so it's only scalable if you're using contemporary operating systems. At some point, I guarantee that there are going to be people who say it's not scalable. But if you look underneath the hood, it's because they aren't managing their infrastructure properly.

We haven't needed to engage tech support.

It's pretty straightforward. You can deploy the environment within four hours and start using it.

If you buy direct, there is a minimum of 150 licenses that must be procured. The price point and barrier of entry is a little bit higher than it would be if you purchased the solution from an authorized reseller partner, rather than buying it and managing yourself.

These are technologies or solutions that we've commoditized as managed security service providers. There's a cost to maintain staff and maintain the solutions. Why not make it an OPEX expense, hire us, pay on a monthly basis, and make sure that your environment is stable, managed, and controlled?

The only area that's a little difficult to understand is the licensing methodology from the direct sale of a client perspective versus a partner perspective. That was more of a barrier for me. I don't think that would be a problem for the average consumer because they're just going to get a quote.

Evaluating and helping the client understand if they want to buy directly and what the cost would be if I partnered with them is a little difficult to navigate straight out of the gate. I want to make sure it's a fair and equitable price point but also make sure that I remain profitable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten. The only reason why it isn't a ten is because there are other tool sets that can do everything natively without needing a bolt-on. If you're using G Suite, any other cloud-based platform for hosting your servers, or on-premises servers, it's a great solution.

My advice is to evaluate at least a couple of different solutions to figure out what makes the most sense for you. With Microsoft Office 365, you can achieve similar if not better auditing and controllability of your dataset using the appropriate licensing. If you're managing it yourself and you're not familiar with the Microsoft Purview center or Security Center or effectively managing Azure 80, you're putting yourself at a very serious risk.

By partnering with an organization like mine and allowing us to help you with your compliance management journey, you can meet the same exact audit goals using Microsoft 365 with E5 licensing or G5 licensing on the government side.  It's about $38 per user, per month for that particular productivity license, which gives you the complete Office suite: Teams, Outlook, one terabyte per user, SharePoint, OneDrive, et cetera.

Alban Xheka - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Useful for security and real-time monitoring
  • "The most valuable feature is the real-time monitoring."
  • "An improvement would be if there was an another way to manage the logs besides email because it's not so practical."

What is our primary use case?

We use Netwrix Auditor to monitor the Active Directory. Specifically, we use it to understand where user accounts were locked out. We need to know who changed what, who joined it, if a computer in domain is the right name, and if it's the right organization unit to put in. It's very useful since we use it to manage 2,000 users. Without Netwrix, it's impossible to take control of things.

Every week, there is a report for all the logs for the week. It's like a summary that Netwrix offers. You can choose not only to monitor what is changing, but to monitor, for example, who is accessing a shared folder. For this kind of feature, another modification needs to change in the Activity Director and in the domain controller to enable some other event log in order to monitor that.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest benefit I have seen is that it gives you full control and better monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the real-time monitoring. As soon as an event log is generated, Netwrix will report it immediately. For example, a user has joined the domain administrator group. This is an alert without the permission of the administrator, for example. So, it's useful for security.

It makes the Active Directory environment more secure, and the summary report is very useful.

What needs improvement?

An improvement would be if there was an another way to manage the logs besides email because it's not so practical. Maybe if there was a possibility to access, for example, this solution from a website and there was a section where you could read logs and were able to search for information you need.

I have been using this solution for three years. We use the solution on-premises. I'm the main administrator and the only one in my company who uses Netwrix Auditor.

It performs okay, but sometimes I don't know why alerts stop. It might be from the Netwrix side or from the domain controller side. I don't know, but I think it's a problem with the services that communicate with the agent installed on the domain controller I think.

Initial setup was very simple. It's enough to install the agent on the domain controller and then to configure the solution in another server.

The more complex maintenance is starting the services or the server. If I notice that I haven't received emails from Netwrix for a long time, I just restart the server and it's solved.

The solution was already configured by the previous system administrator.

I tried another open-source solution based in Linux. It was not as sophisticated as Netwrix. The solution got the job done, but there were some features missing, so there was a reason why it was free. Netwrix has more functionalities than this product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10. I would recommend it because it's useful. If the person is a system administrator in a big environment with more than maybe 500 or 1,000 users, I really recommend it because it's impossible to monitor all the logs on Active Directory without it.

GRC
November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Dani Bachour - PeerSpot reviewer
HARISS International at System Administrator
Active directories beneficial for system administrators; good tech support
  • "What I find the most valuable about Netwrix Auditor is the way it shows risk. The reports are very clear."
  • "There is room for improvements when it comes to the licensing."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for Netwrix Auditor is active directory auditing and file server. Active directories are a big benefit of Netwrix Auditor for system administrators. For example, with active directories, it is easy to change the group policy.

Netwrix Auditor's risk and other security assessments are also beneficial.

What is most valuable?

What I find the most valuable about Netwrix Auditor is the way it shows risk. The reports are very clear. It is very nice and easy for an experienced user. Netwrix Auditor is very simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvements when it comes to the licensing. Right now, for example, they categorize active directory and server licenses separately. In my opinion, it would be good to include several services under the same license. So, if you got the active directory license, then maybe that could include another service under the same license.

I have been using Netwrix Auditor for almost a year and a half.

Netwrix Auditor's stability has been good for us so far.

Right now, we have 350 licenses at my organization. We are not using all 350 yet. We have some wiggle room. The next time we renew our license, I will increase the number by probably 50 users. When we first started using Netwrix Auditor, we got 300 licenses and have expanded since. So, Netwrix Auditor is scalable.

Netwrix Auditor's technical support is nice.

No we did not previously use a different solution.

I have had some trouble deploying Netwrix Auditor. I would like to see more training documentation in the next release. More specifically, I would like to see documentation that explains the value you need to change in the local group.

We deployed in-house. Our technical team took care of the whole process. The deployment took several hours. This included the integration with the main controller and the main server.

The price of Netwrix Auditor is good and competitive. However, I would like to see more features added to the licenses. More specifically, it would be great to have DNS and DSTP be included under the same license as active directories. This is because I think 95% of companies run DNS and DSTP servers along with the main controller.

I looked into a wide range of other options, but, at the end of the day, Netwrix Auditor was the easiest to use, most straightforward, and it had competitive pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would you recommend this product to other people who want to start using it.

Alex Alexandre - PeerSpot reviewer
system administrator at INSIGHT CREDIT UNION
Useful behavior analysis, good interface, and reliable
  • "I have found user behavior analysis and the ability to run risk assessments important features. Additionally, the interface and online documentation are very good."
  • "When there are issues I would like remediation to be in one place."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to monitor our whole IT environment.

What is most valuable?

I have found user behavior analysis and the ability to run risk assessments important features. Additionally, the interface and online documentation are very good.

What needs improvement?

When there are issues I would like remediation to be in one place.

I have been using the solution for approximately three years.

The solution is reliable.

The scalability is good. I have added some modules and the latest one was for data classification.

The technical support is very good and they are responsive.

The installation was straightforward and the full deployment took approximately three months.

We did evaluate other solutions before we picked this one.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to make sure they spend the time to get to know this tool.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Netwrix Auditor a ten out of ten.

Download our free GRC Report and find out what your peers are saying about Netwrix, Galvanize, RSA, and more!
Updated: November 2022