MongoDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB is the #1 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases. PeerSpot users give MongoDB an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. MongoDB is most commonly compared to Couchbase: MongoDB vs Couchbase. MongoDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.
MongoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is MongoDB?

MongoDB is a popular data management solution with a NoSQL database that enables you to store and process structured and semi-structured data with ease. The solution is scalable and flexible, and is designed to overcome the relational databases approach and the limitations of other NoSQL solutions. In addition, MongoDB stands apart as the cloud database platform of choice for enterprise applications that require real-time analytics.

MongoDB Features

MongoDB has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Load balancing: MongoDB supports large-scale load balancing via horizontal scaling features like replication and sharding.
  • Ad-hoc queries: With this feature, developers are able to update ad-hoc queries in real time.
  • Sharding: With MongoDB, sharding allows for much greater horizontal scalability, with queries that are directed to the correct shard based on specific shard keys.
  • Indexing: MongoDB allows indexing to be created on demand, accommodating real-time, ever-changing query patterns and application requirements. They can also be declared on any field within any document, including those nested within arrays.
  • Replication: MongoDB’s replication feature enables you to deploy multiple servers for disaster recovery and backup, which helps increase data availability and stability.

MongoDB Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing MongoDB. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Horizontal architecture: Because MongoDB is designed with horizontal architecture, it is easy to scale.
  • Developer-friendly: Being that MongoDB is a document data model with NoSQL, developers are able to work faster. In addition, MongoDB gives developers a number of useful out-of-the-box capabilities, whether you need to run privately on site or in the public cloud.
  • Cloud-based: Because MongoDB is a full cloud-based application data platform, you gain access to a collection of services that can integrate nicely with your database.
  • Powerful analytics: MongoDB is designed to make data easy to access, and also allows you to perform complex analytics and querying.
  • High performance: With MongoDB, information can be embedded inside a single document rather than relying on expensive join operations from traditional relational databases.
  • Easy to install: MongoDB has an intuitive UI, making it easy to install. You can install the community or enterprise version directly on a server, create your own container, or use a pre-built community one.
  • Cost-effective: MongoDB gives you the option to choose an instance size that fits your current needs to help you keep your costs at a minimum.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the MongoDB solution.

PeerSpot user Deepak K., Managing Director at SimSol Technologies And Services Pvt Ltd., says, “The solution is a very dynamic product. It becomes extremely easy for us to support user requirements and we also make use of the simplicity of a cloud redeployment.” He goes on to add, “The solution is easy to deploy, and the product can scale quite well. The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database. The solution offers excellent documentation.”

A Senior Associate at a financial services firm mentions, “The most valuable feature of the solution is the ability to easily store documentation regarding structures. We can easily connect to MongoDB and search without transformation, without joining. If we want to use a simple search it's really fast. The initial setup isn't really that complex. The solution is pretty stable overall.”

MongoDB Customers

Facebook, MetLife, City of Chicago, Expedia, eBay, Google

MongoDB Video

Archived MongoDB Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Useful for storing historical data, fast response, and easy to use
  • "It stores historical data with ease. For example, if you are a healthcare member, then you will have multiple records of visits to the doctors. To store such data in Oracle Database, you have to create many records. You might also have duplication problems because your records are going in again and again, because of which the data warehouse and the maintenance cost will be huge. MongoDB is comparatively lightweight. It is a JSON extract. Once you define a schema and extract it, you can push all the relationships in any way you want. It is easier to define and get different types of transactions into MongoDB. It is also easier to set it up as compared to other solutions. MongoDB is a NoSQL database, which means it is a document DB in which you can store documents that you created in BSON. It is pretty fast in response. It is faster than relational databases because it does not define any primary keys, secondary keys, tertiary keys, and all those kinds of things."
  • "A normal Oracle or database tester will take some time to gear up to MongoDB because the way of writing queries is different in MongoDB. There should be some kind of midway where a person who is coming from an Oracle background can write a query and get a response by using something like a select * statement or other such things. There should be some way for MongoDB to interpret these commands rather than making a person learn MongoDB commands and writing them. I struggled while writing these MongoDB commands. I had not seen such queries before. It was pretty difficult to get them. This is one of the areas where it would help from the improvement standpoint."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

A normal Oracle or database tester will take some time to gear up to MongoDB because the way of writing queries is different in MongoDB. There should be some kind of midway where a person who is coming from an Oracle background can write a query and get a response by using something like a select * statement or other such things. There should be some way for MongoDB to interpret these commands rather than making a person learn MongoDB commands and writing them. I struggled while writing these MongoDB commands. I had not seen such queries before. It was pretty difficult to get them. This is one of the areas where it would help from the improvement standpoint.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

MongoDB
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I haven't called them ever. I haven't seen any issues, so I would say it's pretty good.

I don't know, but I have heard from people who procure it that it is much cheaper than Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool. You should give it a try. It has a very good and different perspective of looking at how data can be stored in a database and restored from a database because it is not like a straight query or record. The data is just in files. It does whatever a database should do.

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

Deepak Kumar  T R - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at SimSol Technologies And Services Pvt Ltd
Quite scalable, easy to deploy, and affordable
  • "The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database."
  • "The on-premises version of the solution is still pretty expensive, especially compared to the cloud version."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a database. It's basically used as a storage engine.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very dynamic product. It becomes extremely easy for us to support user requirements and we also make use of the simplicity of a cloud redeployment.

The solution is easy to deploy.

The product can scale quite well.

The cloud version of the solution is very affordable.

The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database.

The solution offers excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

The management on the cloud is pretty good, however, the on-premises deployment model is a bit more difficult in this area.

If they want to make their product a little competitive, they'll have to go to organizations and get a bit more commercial in their approach. They need to think about pricing and licensing for RDBMS players. For them to be competitive in the market, they will have to think of strategies other than what they have currently. Their pricing definitely needs to improve.

We've been working with the solution for four years now. It's actually coming up on five years soon.

We've never faced any issues with stability. It's been very good so far. It doesn't crash or freeze, and it's not buggy by any means.

The solution is extremely scalable When we need to expand it out, we know we can do so easily.

We have about five products that factor into the needs of the BFSI segment in India. These proprietary products developed on five or ten platforms. We don't develop MongoDB, we just use it as a storage platform.

Currently, we also use RDBMS. We use Oracle for some other products. We don't just use MongoDB exclusively.

While Oracle is better for transactional services, MongoDB is extremely good at support services. That's the main difference. I have seen people use MongoDB for transactional as well, however, I have never attempted it, so I can't speak to it's capabilities.

The solution is very easy to deploy. The implementation is not complex at all.

The on-premise implementation takes a bit longer. We're looking at a six month implementation for one of our clients, for example.

We handle the implementation ourselves in-house. We don't need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

For people who can afford it, there are good subscription offers that are available on the cloud as well as on-premises. On-premises is still a little expensive. However, if a company decides to go to the cloud, it is pretty affordable.

If the company is small, there is a community edition that can be taken advantage of. If a company needs to scale quite a bit, they'll need to move up to the enterprise version.

Due to the fact that we are a BFSI focused product company, we typically recommend that users go for the enterprise-level license.

There is also pricing surrounding support. We're in discussions with MongoDB about that now. I don't know the exact costing just yet, however, I know it isn't free.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer of MongoDB. We don't embed it in our application, however, we recommend it to our clients who use our product.

We're mostly on the cloud deployment version of the solution However, we do have a banking client who requires an on-premises solution. We work with both and have experience with both.

This solution is perfectly suited for companies of all sizes, from small to large. Small companies can definitely use the community version, however, this product offers an enterprise-level license for much larger organizations as well.

I'd advise new users to be flexible and be able to change their mindset when it comes to MongoDB and what is in the RDBMS. there's a bit to unlearn before you re-learn MongoDB. The solution does have a good survey of languages and it's quite good.

Due to the fact that is scales well, I'd rate it eight out of ten.

MongoDB
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Saeed Abedi - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Information Technology Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and helpful for storing unstructured data, but the performance could be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is that you can store unstructured data, which is helpful when you don't know what the best structure should be and you cannot use a relational database because of that."
  • "The performance can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB in different products. The first is a Business Process Management System (BPMS) that we have developed for ourselves. MongoDB stores all of the data for business flow management.

The second product is in the capital market. We have implemented it to use all of the stock-related data.

We have also developed an online shipping product, using MongoDB for storing product features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can store unstructured data, which is helpful when you don't know what the best structure should be and you cannot use a relational database because of that. For example, in our online shopping product, different products have different features and there is no structure for all of the data.

The usability is good.

Compared to a relational database, the performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The performance can be improved. While it is good compared to relational-type databases, it could still be improved.

Stability-wise, there is some room for improvement.

I have been working with MongoDB for between four and five years.

If you take care of the application and check everything then it will be stable. However, if you do not maintain it properly and do not have support then stability will be a problem.

We have not tried to scale our implementation of MongoDB.

We do not have direct support for this product. Instead, we have used the community-based resources that are available on the internet. For example, we have searched for questions and taken advice from the community in order to resolve our problems.

We may have used InfluxDB for some reason but I don't recall any of the details.

The initial setup is simple and not a problem to complete. I don't recall the exact length of time that it took to deploy, but I think that it was completed within one or two days.

We deployed MongoDB ourselves.

We have two administrators who maintain and work with it on a daily basis.

We use the open-source version, which is available to use free of charge.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering MongoDB is that when we want to have flexibility in storing our data, I recommend using it. We can store anything, in any format, in any size, and accessing the data is the same speed. In the case where you have structured data or it is in a unique format, this is not the product that you use.

In summary, this is a good product and it has been very useful for our purpose.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Monirul Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager & Sr. Database Administrator at BJIT Limited
Good for document management and data analytics, but the security should be improved
  • "MongoDB has a simple data-loading interface."
  • "There should be better integration with other databases."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we develop applications.

Our primary use of MongoDB is data analytics and it is also used for document management.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB has a simple data-loading interface. It is not as formal as a traditional database system.

What needs improvement?

There should be better integration with other databases.

The security should be improved.

We have been working with MongoDB for two or three years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

This is a scalable solution that is better for data analysts when compared to a traditional database.

I have used other databases but they were SQL solutions. MongoDB is different because it is a NoSQL solution and the structuring of data is less formal. It has to be formatted internally.

The initial setup is good.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the features are very nice and MongoDB is a solution that I would recommend. If a company or organization needs a document management platform or is doing marketing analysis then this is a good product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Senior Developer at ENEL
An open source solution for storage and mapping that is stable and easy to setup
  • "The most valuable feature is the geometric information done with GeoJSON."
  • "Simplifying the aggregation framework would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for storage and mapping. We have developed an application for mapping. We source the GeoJSON position for approximately eleven million points.

Our application is made for desktops, and we started using MongoDB for that application.

We have four teams in our laboratory and the other teams are developing their applications to be used with MongoDB.

The primary use of MongoDB is for mapping the application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the geometric information done with GeoJSON. We search the points, and we can perform searches for the data using the RPA for MongoDB. We can ask for points in the geometric shapes or points near other points.

What needs improvement?

Simplifying the aggregation framework would be an improvement.

Also, the replica system could be improved.

I have been using MongoDB for approximately four years.

We have anywhere from 15 to 20 people using this solution on a daily basis.

This is a stable solution and we are happy with it.

It is possible to scale this solution but it has a problem with the replication.

I have not contacted technical support. We have been able to resolve any issues we have had on our own.

Previously we used MariaDB and we continue to use MariaDB for other purposes. We started using MongoDB to manage non-relational data.

The initial setup was simple and straightforward.

It took a couple of hours.

I am the only one maintaining this solution.

I completed the initial setup and implementation.

I did not use the help of a vendor or integration. I did it on my own.

MongoDB is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are a small laboratory and always look for open source solutions or solutions where the licensing is every year. We are prepared to do the troubleshooting ourselves.

The most important part is to evaluate the rest of the ecosystem integrations. When we started, the driver that we used to develop the application was in C++ wasn't relevant. At the start of the project, we had some difficulties because there was no documentation available. There were no examples and no support from the community.

You have to take into account the languages that you are using. If you are going to develop in the main languages of the solution such as Python, or JavaScript, then you won't have to worry.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Digital General Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good interface and integration with other tools but they should modernize the storage options
  • "I find the integration with other tools very easy."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for schema lists. It's easy to populate the data and to get information for summaries and things like that. The second use case is that there is a mainframe and the upgrades on the mainframe can use your CPU time. As the customer is working on the mixed product, it becomes very costly. Using MongoDB internally allows us to divide as much as we can with it. And there is a service provision that I think is much cheaper than continuing the maintenance of the machine.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable, is that it is easy to use. Even a non-technical person will be able to understand it. I also find the integration with other tools very easy.

What needs improvement?

The price can always be better. I mean, we are a big corporation so it is quite expensive for us. So perhaps they can improve on the price.

I have been using MongoDB for two years now.

MongoDB is very stable.

The solution can be scaled without any issues.

I have not yet contacted the technical support team of MongoDB, but I have great interactions with the MongoDB side. We have our own technical team in our company that takes care of our issues.

We have used Snowflake before and I can tell you what the difference is between MongoDB and Snowflake. Snowflake is a totally different type of database. It is basically shot across small units and its solutions are only for the cloud. Your access can be private and it can be fast on the queries. Whereas with MongoDB, it takes much longer than with Snowflake if you want to extract. Snowflake is much faster. It has good analytics capabilities, though.

The initial setup was easy and quite fast. The only problem is the provisioning environment within the cloud. Deploying the MongoDB program doesn't take very long. The whole process of deployment needs only one additional person to do its maintenance and to finalize the deployment faster.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a seven out of ten because I like the interface and the integration with other tools. In the next version, perhaps they can modernize the storage options. I think they have a very good reputation, from what I hear from our client comments. The program has speed and it has simplicity. If you want to extract the application, the terms of applicability it is good. And you can use the intelligence within the program.

Pranesh Vittal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Director - Database & DevOps at Medlife
    A flexible solution that is cost-effective and developer-friendly
    • "MongoDB is extremely developer-friendly because when you are starting, there is very little time needed upfront in terms of planning."
    • "MongoDB should not be used for reporting, analytics, or number-crunching tasks."

What is our primary use case?

When the company started, MongoDB was our primary database.

It offers great flexibility where developers can define any key and assign a value to it. This means that there is very little that one has to plan in terms of designing the schema upfront, so developers enjoy a lot of flexibility. Now that we have more use cases for which NoSQL is not suitable, we are trying to move those workloads out of MongoDB.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is extremely developer-friendly because when you are starting, there is very little time needed upfront in terms of planning. Whenever a developer wants to build a certain feature, they simply define a key and a value and that's it.

It is very easy to create an index on a field that you want to have searchable.

All of the documents are stored in JSON format, which gives developers a lot of flexibility.

What needs improvement?

MongoDB should not be used for reporting, analytics, or number-crunching tasks.

The pricing should be improved because the whole design is around replication of data, so in terms of storage costs, in the long run, it will be expensive. The amount of storage grows very quickly when compared to other databases that store data in normalized form. If there were a way that some data could be partitioned or moved into cold storage then it would be very good.

We have been using MongoDB for about four and a half years.

There are bugs in the system but they are not very significant. We have found a workaround for each of those bugs and we have been running the full-scale production cluster for more than four and a half years. As we haven't had any issues, I would say that it is pretty stable.

This solution is used constantly by both us and our customers, every second of every day.

We are not looking at increasing our usage. Rather, we will be moving some of our workloads off of MongoDB. Ultimately, usage will be at a standstill or perhaps even reduced.

This is a scalable solution. We have close to 100 developers who use it. In addition, our entire business makes use of MongoDB. Everything the customer does makes use of this solution, so I would say that we have at least 100,000 users.

Because we are using the Community Edition, we don't have any support whatsoever.

We did interact with them for MongoDB Atlas, and we are still in contact with them to see if we can take something into production a couple of quarters from now.

We did not use another NoSQL database solution prior to MongoDB.

When we installed MongoDB the initial setup was complex. However, now with Atlas, it is very easy. It took us less than a week to deploy and now, with Atlas, there are a lot of things that you don't need to know that was required four years ago.

I did the original cluster deployment on my own.

We are using the Community Edition of MongoDB. However, we would be happy if the pricing for the full version were more competitive.

We use a lot of different database products and the choice depends on the use case.

With respect to NoSQL, we did not evaluate other vendors because when we implemented this solution four and a half years ago, it was the only scalable NoSQL database. This made it a rather obvious choice for us at the time.

What other advice do I have?

The features that I have looked for are in this solution and we are using an older version. The current cloud-offering, MongoDB Atlas, has even more features. It would be a natural fit for us, but it will not be easy to move because we have a lot of dependencies. We have to update drivers, isolate collections, and take care of other issues before we can switch.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution, or any other database, is to take care to plan your indexes because it is extremely important. Spending some time designing the document structure in the initial phase will certainly help you in the long run.

I would also suggest that in terms of sharding, try to think about it as early as possible so that when you are ready to scale, it will certainly help to reduce the workload.

Do not rely on MongoDB for any of the analytics use cases. Aggregation works well but do not use it for your reporting or analytics or number crunching-related tasks.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Team Leader at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Good performance and community, but there were some issues with putting up the server
    • "The community is great if you have problem."
    • "You need integration with other tools to run the query in MongoDB."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for big projects. We have multiple DBs on multiple servers, so we have a good performance for it. Sometimes, we are using cloud systems, like Azure, or VMs.

We are using MongoDB like a warehouse for data that has no relation nor a need to scale.

What is most valuable?

• The document space is the main feature of it.
    • It has good performance.
    • The community is great if you have problem.

What needs improvement?

You need integration with other tools to run the query in MongoDB.

I have been using this solution for two to three years. I have worked with it on multiple projects.

I did have some issues with putting up the server.

I have not used the technical support. If I get stuck, I search for the answers and will luckily find them.

I recommend the solution for my current company. They have used MongoDB for two projects now. We chose MongoDB because of its community.

The initial setup was easy, not complex.

We used consultants for the deployment. The initial deployment took 20 minutes to half an hour. It didn't take long, as it is very simple.

When you compare MongoDB to other DBs like the SQLOne, they are all the same system, in terms of performance.

I did a benchmark between SQLBase and MongoDB. The performance and some queries in SQLBase are much better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the rate the solution as a seven (out of 10).

Sushil Dwivedi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Team Lead at RBS Securities
    Good security, highly-available when installed in a cluster, and no schema is needed to store data
    • "We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users."
    • "Data encryption is possible using third-party tools but they should have their own encryption capability built-in to this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I have done a variety of things with MongoDB that started with the adoption of this solution at one company. I was involved in setting up the cluster and then the monitoring, alerting, and backup process. Once all of the set up was complete, I was involved in writing some of the components that were responsible for fetching data from MongoDB.

We are now responsible for running the platform, so whoever wants to run MongoDB comes to us and we explain how we can deploy the cluster for their applications. At this point, we build a cluster in the servers under a UNIX account. The number of nodes in the cluster depends on the requirements of the application side.

Some of the use cases we have configured MongoDB for are desk-tooling and a payment card profiling project. We are currently working on a data exchange platform. We also have a couple of use cases in the pipeline for potential MongoDB clients who also need the MongoDB Ops Manager.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we don't need a schema to store the data.

The security is very good. Cybersecurity, authentication, authorization, and server certifications are all valuable features. We can define security rules at the database level or the cluster level to grant or deny access to particular users.

This is a highly available architecture. If you are using a three-node cluster and one of these goes down then either of the secondary nodes will become a priority to eliminate downtime from the application's perspective.

What needs improvement?

The documentation for MongoDB is not very good and should be improved. Some of the documents are referring to legacy versions. MongoDB 4.2 has been released, but there are training documents and other documentation that still refers to versions 3.6 and 3.4, which is not good. They should definitely update the documentation as new software is released.

Information about upcoming and recently released features should be made available so that we are aware of the latest features, and how we can manage the issues that will accompany them.

I have been working with MongoDB for the last three years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have a support portal where we can log tickets and fix issues. We contact them directly and we can set up a call whenever we need help from them.

For some issues, I would rate technical support a nine out of ten, or a ten out of ten. However, at other times, I would rate them a seven out of ten. It depends on who is dealing with the ticket. There are times where they respond to tickets very quickly and things get resolved in a timely manner. At other times, it takes ages to resolve the problem.

We did not use a different NoSQL solution prior to MongoDB.

We continue to use Microsoft SQL Server for other types of database implementations that require SQL, which I also have expertise in.

The initial setup is not very complex. We used the MongoDB resources to understand how to set it up on a Linux server, and after that, we prepared our own document that explains how to install it. Now it is quite straightforward, although if you are going with a more granular level of configuration, such as enabling other parameters on the cluster, then it would be different. I would say that set up would be a little more difficult, but not much. It's very simple using the MongoDB Ops Manager.

We offer three types of services on the MongoDB platform. First is the ODS service, second is the MongoDB SQL, and third is MongoDB standalone. For standalone, we are providing services on the tenant. With respect to shared services, we have the infrastructure but we have to set up their database on the shared servers. This will be useful for some use cases. The standalone configuration takes approximately 15 to 20 days to set up. It is sometimes less but it takes the time to create and configure the UNIX account because we have a third-party dependency for that.

The ODS solution will be better for enterprise data such as those involving payments, accounts, and customers.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB is a solution that I can recommend because we have realized good benefits from it. We are in the process of setting up the ODS project, which should help the organization from a cost perspective. Then we will be moving the mainframe data to ODS, and we can use the MongoDB API to fetch data from there and provide real-time solutions to the customer.

At this time, I cannot judge the benefit of MongoDB in isolation, but as time goes on, perhaps by the end of the year, I will have a better idea.

LourensWalters - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Program Manager and Data Scientist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Allows a lot more scalability and is completely open-source

What is our primary use case?

We used MongoDB to implement a healthcare application into the Amazon Cloud. We deployed that architecture within the South African public health care sector.

What is most valuable?

One feature that we found most valuable is that it is completely open source - this was majorly important. Because we worked for a nongovernmental organization we had to work with only open source tools. So that was a big selling point for MongoDB. We also needed a document-based DB to build this FHIR application on top of, MongoDB offers.

Another major selling point was that they're massively scalable. The fact that unlike relational databases, MongoDB allows a lot more scalability and it was more suited for the type of data that we were storing, which was semi-structured healthcare data. It provided very nicely for the standards that we were working - FHIR - which could be interfaced with JSON and Mongo. It had very good JSON capability and storage. Overall, it was a combination of what we were trying to store and the scalability in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

What needs improvement?

We were quite happy with the product and the actual use of it. We had no particular problem.

In the future, if they could look into supporting FHIR better. FHIR is a healthcare standard. I don't know what that would mean, but, we had to implement a layer on top of it that implements FHIR. But if MongoDB can look into implementing that would be useful.

The two things that were very important for us were basically performance and compatibility.

I have been using this product for about a year.

It is very stable.

We had issues. It wasn't operationalized yet, but our feeling was that it was easy to set up and easy to operate and very stable. So I would say our compatibility and performance are the two things that came up that I know in the project we had problems with. The rest wasn't at any point an issue.

It's massively scalable. It is very scalable in terms of being able to store a lot of this information over time.

In terms of how many users are using this solution, it was a large database with many objects being pumped into it. But, for our purposes, it was just not necessarily the number of users, but the amount of automation being integrated

It was used by the Provincial department of health, or country. So it was basically the nine provinces in South Africa. And each of them had it. It was all the HIV and TB data for all the departments of health in South Africa. It was big.

I can't recall any issues that our technical team ever had. My feeling was that they were satisfied.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was a pleasure to work with, for everyone. So setting it up, getting up and running, pumping data into it, and actually looking and querying the data was super simple. We were up and running within an hour. We could literally install and start ingesting information into it from the word go. It was very simple to set up and to have tools to actually query and pump objects into it.

We implemented ourselves.

I would definitely recommend MongoDB. I'm hoping MongoDB will continue to be developed from strength to strength because I think it's an awesome tool. I hope that other products, like DocumentDB, will find a way to work with MongoDB to improve the overall stability of the product. It would be good if other services that host Mongo would become more readily available. It was very useful to actually have a hosted MongoDB set up that is maintained by Mongo Atlas.

I would rate it 9 out of 10 because we had very little issues and it did exactly what we wanted it to do.

What other advice do I have?

MongoDB Atlas was the deployment mechanism we went with and that was hugely helpful for us. MongoDB Atlas is part of the MongoDB suite, I think. It's just a deployment of the Mongo. We also deployed it on Amazon using DocumentDB, but we found that MongoDB Atlas worked better in the end.

it_user1129392 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Enables you to alter tables and to enable streaming
    • "It's easy to add and remove things in MongoDB. You can alter the tables. MongoDB is faster at reading, slower at writings."
    • "The transaction could use improvement. From MySQL, for example, you cannot create a transaction if you are reading and writing a document at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB to enable streaming. We have a structured DB where everything is secure. We have everything in folders and structured data. MongoDB is much more better in terms of their response time.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The transaction could use improvement. From MySQL, for example, you cannot create a transaction if you are reading and writing a document at the same time.

Relations in MongoDB is another issue. Trying to make a relation such as a connection or using the OIE can be very slow. It's not a fault, though, because it's not a positional database, so it isn't supposed to use it for relation.

Very secure structured database

It's stable. You can create sets which could be three servers, some reading and some writing, for example. This way if some servers go down the others are still up.

This solution is scalable.

There's no technical support in the server source.

MongoDB is more secure than similar databases. You can pass documents from there. You can add large data in the same record. It works with PostgreSQL and the like, and it is a structural database.

It was pretty easy to set up if you are using Linux servers. It only took a few minutes to deploy, since you don't have to create anything.

It only takes one person for maintenance and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is not to use Relationships in MongoDB. MongoDB is not a relational database, so don't try to use Relationships in MongoDB.

I would rate MongoDB as eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
    Felix Esteban - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Development and Consulting at Logalty
    Easy to use, very stable and I am impressed by the speed
    • "We haven't had any issues with stability."
    • "We find it difficult to incorporate MongoDB in some projects."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to directly monitor public services.

How has it helped my organization?

I like that this solution helps us to manage our allowed time on the release date or entry, but if you have a conventional application where you have to make a lot of queries with the joints, you have to mix the information of several tables. You cannot go to a non-relational database, you have to go to an Oracle or MariaDB or whatever. But if you have other queries like smaller tables with a lot of resistance, MongoDB will be okay.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is very valuable for us due to the large amount of entries that we can install in the database. The solution makes it very easy for us to develop with these databases. It is also easy for development and to list all our entries in a single table.

What needs improvement?

We find it difficult to incorporate MongoDB in some projects. It's also very complicated to join different tables. For example, MongoDB works very well with the note GS Java Script. But when you try to develop in Java, it is not so easy. So the integration is not very simple.

My colleagues, however, reported that it's easy to manage the database. I also know that it is very easy to make an application in Java scripts.

I have been using the solution for two years now.

We haven't had any issues with stability since we started using this solution two years ago.

We're not currently using the alert implementation of MongoDB, but it's enough for us and we can escalate to put in more machines if we like. We are not using that many implementations.

We don't use the technical support because we have our own technical team that can help us.

We use MariaDB as the main product of the company, but we find it difficult to fine-tune the database and to increase our services. We also have problems with queries. So we implemented MongoDB with MariaDB because MariaDB doesn't have the same capabilities and now we can do some fine-tuning of the database.

The initial setup was very easy and we did everything ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be not to use MongoDB for complex business applications or difficult queries. There are some integration issues that need to improve, so I will rate this solution an eight out of ten. Still, it is a very good product that is user-friendly and it works fast.

it_user1033401 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Scales well and is easy to replicate but needs more stable indexes
    • "Scalability seems good. I've never been even close to finding the limits. I've run a couple of notes of redundancy but I've never had any problems with scalability."
    • "More stable indexes would be helpful in a future release. That's been an issue for some time. I don't know if it's been fixed now but we transitioned to it because we needed a search index to be able to search for things and if that goes or starts disappearing, we have to move away from that solution. I don't know if they fixed it, last time I had this issue was three years ago so they might have solved it."

What is our primary use case?

I use it mainly for development. It's a plain document database that maps adjacent data structures. It doesn't cost us that much to integrate. It scales well and it's easy to replicate. It's very easy to set up and it's very easily monitored.

What needs improvement?

The solution is known for not requiring people to set a root password when you set it up, so it has leaked data, like a feed, and it's the first thing I need to teach everyone that sets the system up. There was a story out of China where there were 100 known users that were being monitored by the government and there was a MongoDB cluster. They forgot to set a root password so it was publicly available and that kinda happens over and over again so people need to at least supply some basic securities.

Training would be very good, at least to get some basic production level set up. People need to figure it out because just setting one up is easy, but then you need to get a replica going and that's hard and then getting performers ready and that's even tougher and somewhere along the way people tend to forget about security. Every month some major company forgets to set the password.

More stable indexes would be helpful in a future release. That's been an issue for some time. I don't know if it's been fixed now but we transitioned to it because we needed a search index to be able to search for things and if that goes or starts disappearing, we have to move away from that solution. I don't know if they fixed it, last time I had this issue was three years ago so they might have solved it.

I've been using the solution for about four years.

The solution is completely stable.

Scalability seems good. I've never been even close to finding the limits. I've run a couple of notes of redundancy but I've never had any problems with scalability.

I have never been in contact with the people who developed MongoDB. I've never bought any support from them or had any issues. When we've run into something like scalability or other issues, we've always managed to figure it out on our own. The community's also fairly strong so technical support isn't something we've needed.

I use Kubernetes. These are management tools where you can select which items you'd like to install first and you basically just provide what kind of features you want to be activated and how many nodes you want to be activated in the database. I would install it as part of a Kubernetes cluster and it's pretty straightforward because the chart, as its called, is managed by and used by thousands of people so I don't need to know exactly how to set up every single bit of it.

It's also all very automated, which makes it easy. In fact, I use it a lot in teaching as well because it's very easy to set up.

My first foray into MongoDB was actually when I started using a Google data store which is very similar. We ran into problems because we didn't have any search or solutions for it. We switched over to MongoDB because that had the basic search engines we needed so we can actually get some basic search going and be able to scale out.

We didn't do a technology selection. We just had other technologies that didn't pan out so we gradually moved into MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

The solution scales very well and is very easy to replicate.

If you need something done quickly and you need something that does scale fairly well I would suggest MongoDB. You can always transition away from it later on. It's always a solid first bet if you want a simpler kind of web page or web system. It's a very solid choice if you want to get up and running quickly. It's my go-to for all these little startups that I manage.

MongoDB seems to give just exactly what we need and I find most of my clients have never transitioned away from MongoDB.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Ravi Kumar Gupta - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Architect at Azilen Technologies Pvt Ltd
    Leaderboard
    Easier to maintain the data with its document-based storage
    • "Easier to maintain the data with its document-based storage."
    • "The installation is very stable."
    • "The improvements could be made to intelligence to detect disk storage and prevent MongoDB from crashing."

What is our primary use case?

One of the key component of our system uses MongoDB as its data store. We use it for storing data sent by devices. It is an IoT platform.

How has it helped my organization?

We capture more than 30 million records every week in IoT NS.

MongoDB has been serving us well so far. It is easier to maintain the data with its document-based storage.

What is most valuable?

• Its capability to do quick, powerful aggregations has caught my attention.
    • The search queries are pretty fast and mean time to get response is around 50-100/ms.
    • The installation is very stable.

What needs improvement?

Its indexing capabilities could be further improved. The libraries, e.g., Mongoose could still be improved to handle MongoDB. The improvements could be made to intelligence to detect disk storage and prevent MongoDB from crashing.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

The setup is pretty straightforward. Just install, create a user, and start using it.

I felt it was quicker to use MongoDB compared to MySQL.

We implemented it in-house.

We did compare Cassandra against MongoDB, but we faced a few problems while data was restoring with Cassandra and chose MongoDB to avoid such issues.

Database Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's reliable but the heavy architecture limits the scalability options.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
    • Enterprise integration
    • Documentation
    • Certification
    • Support

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to have an alternative solution to licensed DB's.

What needs improvement?

It requires enterprise integration improvements from the security, and audit perspective (AD integration etc.). Also, existing integration into BI tools is not present.

I've used it for five years.

MongoDB has a "heavy" architecture, which limits the scalability options.

They provide a high level of technical support.

We switched due to a common OS integration strategy.

We had an RFP process to evaluate between similar product categories.

it_user402003 - PeerSpot reviewer
    it_user402003Associate Software Engineer-Hadoop developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

how to use update in deep nested array without mentioning position

Download our free MongoDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022