MongoDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB is the #1 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases. PeerSpot users give MongoDB an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. MongoDB is most commonly compared to Couchbase: MongoDB vs Couchbase. MongoDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.
MongoDB Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is MongoDB?

MongoDB is a popular data management solution with a NoSQL database that enables you to store and process structured and semi-structured data with ease. The solution is scalable and flexible, and is designed to overcome the relational databases approach and the limitations of other NoSQL solutions. In addition, MongoDB stands apart as the cloud database platform of choice for enterprise applications that require real-time analytics.

MongoDB Features

MongoDB has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Load balancing: MongoDB supports large-scale load balancing via horizontal scaling features like replication and sharding.
  • Ad-hoc queries: With this feature, developers are able to update ad-hoc queries in real time.
  • Sharding: With MongoDB, sharding allows for much greater horizontal scalability, with queries that are directed to the correct shard based on specific shard keys.
  • Indexing: MongoDB allows indexing to be created on demand, accommodating real-time, ever-changing query patterns and application requirements. They can also be declared on any field within any document, including those nested within arrays.
  • Replication: MongoDB’s replication feature enables you to deploy multiple servers for disaster recovery and backup, which helps increase data availability and stability.

MongoDB Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing MongoDB. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Horizontal architecture: Because MongoDB is designed with horizontal architecture, it is easy to scale.
  • Developer-friendly: Being that MongoDB is a document data model with NoSQL, developers are able to work faster. In addition, MongoDB gives developers a number of useful out-of-the-box capabilities, whether you need to run privately on site or in the public cloud.
  • Cloud-based: Because MongoDB is a full cloud-based application data platform, you gain access to a collection of services that can integrate nicely with your database.
  • Powerful analytics: MongoDB is designed to make data easy to access, and also allows you to perform complex analytics and querying.
  • High performance: With MongoDB, information can be embedded inside a single document rather than relying on expensive join operations from traditional relational databases.
  • Easy to install: MongoDB has an intuitive UI, making it easy to install. You can install the community or enterprise version directly on a server, create your own container, or use a pre-built community one.
  • Cost-effective: MongoDB gives you the option to choose an instance size that fits your current needs to help you keep your costs at a minimum.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the MongoDB solution.

PeerSpot user Deepak K., Managing Director at SimSol Technologies And Services Pvt Ltd., says, “The solution is a very dynamic product. It becomes extremely easy for us to support user requirements and we also make use of the simplicity of a cloud redeployment.” He goes on to add, “The solution is easy to deploy, and the product can scale quite well. The solution's most important aspect is its seamless database. The solution offers excellent documentation.”

A Senior Associate at a financial services firm mentions, “The most valuable feature of the solution is the ability to easily store documentation regarding structures. We can easily connect to MongoDB and search without transformation, without joining. If we want to use a simple search it's really fast. The initial setup isn't really that complex. The solution is pretty stable overall.”

MongoDB Customers

Facebook, MetLife, City of Chicago, Expedia, eBay, Google

MongoDB Video

MongoDB Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MongoDB pricing:
  • "MongoDB has a free version. You can also buy the enterprise edition, which is cheaper than Oracle."
  • "It's a community edition, so we do not pay anything."
  • MongoDB Reviews

Martin Doskocil - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Architect at Moneta Money Bank as
    Good pricing and very fast but needs to showcase more use cases
    • "It has visible benefits, actually, in terms of price of ownership if you compare it to, for example, Oracle."
    • "We'd like information about client onboarding experience and success stories. It would help to have something to show to internal stakeholders."

What is our primary use case?

We are using MongoDB as the database on our private cloud, which is AWS in Frankfurt. We monitor different banks adopting cloud in our infrastructure with confirmation and approval by the local regulator.

It's mostly all related to our digital part of the bank. We are using MongoDB for the process of onboarding new products. When we are actually calculating proposals for mortgages or complex financial products, we must consider that calculation across many sources. Some are internal. Some are external. We are using MongoDB to support the calculation, or proposal calculation, on our web digital processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us a chance to explain to people that once the bank made the decision to migrate some processes, applications, and data into the cloud, it was a benefit. It's not only about the change of process and application components. It's also about changing the data ownership and data operation. It went hand to hand, actually, to start training them that there is something beyond Oracle and SQL databases. With Mongo, our team was happy to get a chance to learn something new.

However, once some people learned the solution, we did lose them to someone else. It shows how popular it is not only in our organization but in other places as well.

What is most valuable?

We are actually taking MongoDB as serious database tech. It has visible benefits, actually, in terms of price of ownership if you compare it to, for example, Oracle. When we have some processes which really don't need Oracle, we use MongoDB as the first option to see if it wouldn't be cheaper to leverage.

What needs improvement?

Oracle is stronger in some specific features. For example, the remote cluster when you need to synchronize the enormous amount of data between two data centers and so on. It's that Oracle RDC and Oracle GoldenGate which are actually about the data replication which can be supported by the nature of the database scheme.

We are actually validating each process and also new processes in what we call the operational tier, and if you are having the business-critical processes which need business-critical operative data, we actually prefer Oracle over MongoDB.

MongoDB is the second option for non-critical processes at the moment. We do not yet trust it with critical items.

We'd like information about client onboarding experience and success stories. It would help to have something to show to internal stakeholders. We need some use cases from the outside to begin to open discussions on how we can use this tech in more ways in the future.

MongoDB
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It started during the HR transformation. I would say we started using it four years ago.

For the scenarios we have chosen, it's ranked as stable. We also made what we call disaster recovery scenarios to be able to replicate MongoDB content after failures. So far, it's been very good. It's fast.

We can scale. It went hand in hand with our AWS journey and the cloud infrastructure. I remember one scenario which involved a quite popular product in the Czech Republic. It was for savings accounts. We were actually able to predict the number of interactions being required during the phase of the product opening. We prepared the infrastructure from MongoDB and after that period of time, it was shrunken back to the original size. It scaled up and down exactly as we needed it to.

We have seven internal people including analysts and data engineers working on the solution. They are creating tables and preparing the data loads.

We use it quite a bit now. We take it as the second option for initial test requirements in regards to the data infrastructure. The Oracle Database is not the first choice anymore, except for the Tier 1 pieces of processes.

I am not involved in the troubleshooting. I don't directly deal with technical support.

We also use Oracle. Previously, a long time ago, I also used Teradata.

In Asian companies, Oracle is very expensive to use and adopt.

We started using Mongo as it was stable and easy to adopt.

The first time we deployed the solution was actually a limited implementation to support the proof of concept. When we had some objectives when it came to validating how fast we were able to prepare Mongo at AWS, it was quite simple.

The second part was actually to handle the initial training of people for operation and administration. Now we actually have some results which prove that the MongoDB way is a positive way and this is what we ended up using for other scenarios.

I would say that if you would were looking for 100% of the data in the cloud, MongoDB would currently be at 50%.

The initial proof of concept was scheduled for three months.

We did the cloud adoption in-house. We did have help with a few complex elements. It was supervised and everything was finished by the internal code team to improve their skills and learn what was needed to have BAU, business as usual.

The ROI is fair. I'd rate it 2.5 out of five in terms of getting a return on investment. It's something, on our side, that we still have to fully adopt, however.

I was trying to compare pricing in terms of how much it would cost to do a TCO. We are counting TCO five years ahead - the total sum of money. It was 2.5 times cheaper than Oracle. I would say it's stable and the pricing is reasonable.

This is the first time we've adopted the cloud and therefore it's hard to truly gauge how much it will be a year out. It could change. It's difficult to accurately predict.

We faced some extra costs for what we call the L2 and L3 additional support.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

We are likely on the latest version right now.

You can adopt this tech very easily on your private cloud. AWS is actually broadly supporting and it's not only us but also a lot of other industries. MongoDB is not unknown. There are a lot of people that have experience with it, however, it's very important if you have a company that is evaluating something, to have the ability to execute.

If you have some local vendors, if you have international vendors, if you have some integrators that are able to use it and to help you use it, MongoDB is a good choice.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Senior Associate at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    Good for transformation and data storage but quite expensive for smaller organizations
    • "The initial setup isn't really that complex."
    • "MongoDB should better support small and medium companies. There are a lot of clients out there that are interested, however, they need something lighter and less complex and something not so expensive upfront."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for long-term storage. We use it to store all our data. We also use it to support microservices that already have calculated data. We don't use it for any other purpose.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is the ability to easily store documentation regarding structures.

The initial setup isn't really that complex.

The solution is pretty stable overall.

What needs improvement?

If we want to perform some joins or some other types of transformation that are more advanced, in that case, we cannot use MongoDB. We need to use another solution.

The solution needs to better support modern aspects of search engines. There is typically a microservice layer and MongoDB doesn't support well within search engines. If you want to create some complex structures, you need something like Elasticsearch, for example.

The pricing is expensive.

MongoDB should better support small and medium companies. There are a lot of clients out there that are interested, however, they need something lighter and less complex and something not so expensive upfront.

I've been using the solution for the past two or three years.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty good overall.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or how knowledgeable they are.

We previously mostly used SQL databases. We used Microsoft SQL mostly and we needed some NoSQL databases. That's why we implemented Elasticsearch and MongoDB. We wanted a NoSQL database that we could search, however, was also capable of long-term storage.

The initial setup is not so complex when we are talking about on-prem solutions. It's an easy initial setup. We are fine with that.

I was surprised, however, by the lack of support offered during implementation. You are left to your own devices. There isn't much guidance - especially on so complex a transformation.

We have our own agent teams. Mostly we rely on our engineers, not consultants at other companies. We're able to handle everything rather well in-house.

The pricing is quite high and we don't appreciate the solution raising prices so much.

I'm following up with the licensing, however, I don't have the exact figures right now. I mostly advise some companies about that, and usually do not go into detail. What I'm interested in, for example, is when you implement some solution in some company what are the costs for that company in the near future, for example, in one or two years. This is what we are thinking about.

It's not easy to implement some solutions in some small companies if at the beginning they need to pay some licensing costs upfront. For example, for Mongo DB. It would be easier if the small companies could operate without licensing for some period of time and then only after they grow to a certain size or need they would have to pay some for that usage.

What other advice do I have?

While I may advise clients on MongoDB, I don't have a direct business relationship with the company.

We always use the latest version that is available.

As we implement the solution for clients, we deal with different deployment models. Typically, for banks, for example, the on-premises deployment is used. However, we've looked into the cloud as well and some clients may consider that deployment instead.

A company considering the solution needs to first think about the project and the infrastructure that they need to implement. Every solution is different. I cannot say that I feel some particular way about MongoDB. It always depends on the organizational need.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it offered more upfront support and a lighter solution for smaller organizations. It would be great if they could build an open-source version, for example.

MongoDB
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior DBA & IT Consultant at MA Consulting
    A source-available cross-platform document-oriented database that has a useful free edition
    • "I like that MongoDB has a free version. You can also buy the enterprise edition, which is cheaper than Oracle."
    • "It could be more stable. It would be better if it were more user-friendly like Oracle, which is very easy. For example, creating an index is simple in Oracle. In MongoDB, it's quite challenging to do that. Performance could be better. It's fast and good, but you cannot put every application that you would like to in MongoDB."

What is our primary use case?

MongoDB is a document database that we use for internet applications, logs, and all kinds of things that need quick answers, especially in the document area.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It could be more stable. It would be better if it were more user-friendly like Oracle, which is very easy. For example, creating an index is simple in Oracle. In MongoDB, it's quite challenging to do that.

Performance could be better. It's fast and good, but you cannot put every application that you would like to in MongoDB.

I've been using MongoDB for two or three years.

MongoDB isn't stable like Oracle, but it's okay.

MongoDB is a scalable solution. MongoDB has its own problems, but if you have good maintenance, it's okay. Since it's for internet applications, we can have tens of thousands or hundred thousand users.

There is no technical support since it's a community-supported database. If you would like to buy services like that, there are companies which sell that. But it's not like Microsoft or Oracle, where you have an option of buying support. Instead, there are third-party companies that are willing to provide support for a lot of money.

We switched from Oracle to MongoDB because of costs. Oracle also has a MongoDB solution inside it. In Oracle, you can install document databases, which helps, and it also supports JSON and just about everything. It's one-to-one. Whatever you do in MongoDB, you can do it in Oracle. But Oracle isn't free.

The main problem with Oracle today is the price. Many companies around the world are trying to move out of Oracle because of the cost. They are not moving because the database is not good. PostgreSQL is really like Oracle, and MongoDB is like Redis, and all these have free community databases. If you want to buy the enterprise edition, it costs a bit but not as much as Oracle.

The initial setup is straightforward. Even building the cluster and so on isn't a problem. But you have to know what to do because it's a bit different from relational databases. It only takes a couple of hours and not more than that. Once you have the right servers, firewalls, ports open, and so on, you're good to go.

One or two people are enough to maintain this database. But you'll need more people like programmers for the digital part of the application that you have to develop.

I implemented this solution by myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB to potential users depending on their requirements because it's not a relational database. It depends on what applications would they would like to put in it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MongoDB an eight.

Data Engineer | Full Stack Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable solution with schemaless architecture and sharding feature
    • "I like the schemaless architecture that it follows. I also like the sharding that it provides."
    • "Its security features can be better. Sometimes, my higher authority says that we are not going to use MongoDB because it doesn't provide that much security for the RDBMS or relational data that we use for transactions. Instead of MongoDB, we will use Oracle Database because for a transactional service, you have to rely on RDBMS ACID properties. I would love to work on MongoDB by using my mobile phone. When I am working remotely or traveling and have some instances deployed on my server, I should be able to check through my mobile whether all the data is being pulled. GitHub has a similar feature, where it lets you read from the laptop, and you can also pull and push with your mobile phone. I would request MongoDB to provide such a feature. Basically, I want a mobile version for both iOS and Android versions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a data warehouse, and we also use it for software development when we are not sure how much and what kind of data we would get from the customers. For a short span of time, we also use it for the data lake to dump the data of a temporary instance so that the developers on the next node can leverage this data.

What is most valuable?

I like the schemaless architecture that it follows. I also like the sharding that it provides.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

Currently, we have about 1,000 to 5,000 employees all over India. Most of us are using MongoDB for internal projects.

When I was getting trained in the data engineering field, there was a saying that if we run after the technical support, we won't be able to see a bug in our own code. Since then, our superiors or colleagues don't suggest going for technical support. If anything goes wrong, we just troubleshoot it on our own, and we have done that successfully.

What other advice do I have?

When we provide solutions for a customer, we look at the domain in which we are working, and accordingly, we recommend or select a database. It is up to the customers which database they want to use and how they are going to use it and leverage the subscription of that database. Do they want Oracle, MySQL, or SQL Server? Based on their preferences, we select the database.

For people or businesses that are currently trying to put their feet in the industry, it is a good thing to start their career with MongoDB. Sometimes, you don't have the knowledge of SQL and how to put a query to get a result. In MongoDB, there are certain things that make it different from other solutions. It is schemaless, and you don't have to have the knowledge of schemas. It is a good way to go ahead.

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Convenient, scalable, and very easy to use
    • "One of the first things I noticed when I had my first experience with MongoDB was how easy it was to use. I was expecting more difficulties or at least some challenges, but it was very, very easy to use. It's great technology, performs well, and is very convenient."
    • "MongoDB is a very useful and convenient choice, but sometimes for more complex projects, there are certain niche requirements that appear, so using a different tool could be beneficial. It raises the complexity of the architecture, but it could be beneficial to the world, the features, the ease of the features which are being implemented."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of MongoDB was development. We used it from a developer point of view, writing the platforms and storing some data. It was deployed on the AWS cloud.

What is most valuable?

One of the first things I noticed when I had my first experience with MongoDB was how easy it was to use. I was expecting more difficulties or at least some challenges, but it was very, very easy to use. It's great technology, performs well, and is very convenient.

What needs improvement?

My experience with MongoDB is pretty recent, maybe for three years.

This solution is stable enough. There isn't much maintenance involved—we're just installing some software and then using it—especially since I'm using it from a development point of view.

I've heard that MongoDB is pretty scalable, but we never did any big deployment. I've read a lot about how it scales and can handle huge data.

I have never contacted MongoDB's technical support.

The installation is quite straightforward. I have it installed on my personal laptop and it's very easy to do. It took just a few minutes.

There are two or three DevOps guys who are involved with and responsible for all the deployments and setups for the whole project.

I implemented this solution myself.

We also considered Cosmos DB.

What other advice do I have?

I rate MongoDB a nine out of ten. If I put it this way: "Can I trust this technology to perform well in a complex project?," I can certainly trust MongoDB. I have been working with some graph databases as well, and MongoDB was my first touch with noSQL technology. I think I like it even more now, after these experiences I had.

I use MongoDB from a development point of view. For some projects, we use Docker on local environments. MongoDB actually starts in some Docker microservices where we don't run the whole platform, we're actually running locally or maybe part of the platform. With this container, we don't need to do many things with the image in Docker, we're just developing the platform. And then the deployment and scale are managed by the DevOps guys, who do their magic. We use Azure in some projects, but we mostly use AWS

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Good clustering capabilities provide high availability, good performance, and includes replication functionality
    • "The clustering is very good. It allows us to have high availability."
    • "The user interface is not as friendly as Oracle, which is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We do not use MongoDB extensively. Initially, we wanted to store login information, dumping the entire message into the database. It stores transaction details about the users, but only for login purposes. Essentially, we store information about access and usage.

In the future, we will build some reports for this data.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is the best choice for us when we want to store NoSQL-type data.

The clustering is very good. It allows us to have high availability.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

We have been working with MongoDB for a couple of years.

So far, MongoDB has been quite stable.

MongoDB is definitely scalable. By setting up a cluster, we are able to scale well.

At this point, we are only using it for login purposes and only with two or three applications.

We have not used technical support very much because we don't have any issues with it. It has been quite stable and also, we are only using it for a limited purpose at this point.

We also use Oracle and we have found that if you want to have a DR site, you need to replicate the data from one site to the other. With MongoDB, we set up a cluster on the wide-area network, and we don't have to do any data replication. Instead, it will help you with these things.

With Oracle, the user interface makes it easy to explore the database. With MongoDB, the interface is quite primitive and it is more difficult to look at the data. It is not as user-friendly.

There are a lot of vendor and third-party tools that work on top of Oracle, but this is not so much the case with MongoDB.

I was not personally involved in the installation.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other similar solutions before implementing MongoDB.

Prior to MongoDB, we focused on relational databases.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it for anybody who wants to store NoSQL data. It provides a lot of features and the clustering, in particular, is a good one.

Yevhen Ikonnykov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Free community edition, good documentation, easy to install and deploy
    • "In our case, it is most important to have redundancy."
    • "It would be much more useful if I have an admin user and a password."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our virtual environment.

Our software produces a lot of predefined JSON Structures. We save those JSONs in an encrypted form inside MongoDB.

It's simple storage of JSON. We do not perform any database functions.

What is most valuable?

In our case, it is most important to have redundancy. It supports a replica set and it allows us to use mutual TLS for authentications with the certificates.

The documentation is useful.

What needs improvement?

We work with the community edition and it would be really nice to have for the database side encryption, but it's not available in the community. It is only available in the enterprise edition.

We use mutual TLS, which means we use the certificate for authentication and connection encryption.

When I want to connect to a node, I need to supply the certificate that MongoDB trusts, even though I use an admin password. This is not useful, and it complicates things.

It would be much more useful if I have an admin user and a password.

I would like it to be more straightforward when connecting to a node.

We have been using MongoDB for the last 12 months.

We are using version 4.4.0.

It's pretty stable. We don't have any complaints.

It's a scalable solution. We haven't had any issues.

We are in development mode, and not really used by users. We have five people for development.

We can't know for sure if we will continue to use this solution. We are still in the development phase so we have to see when we finish.

I have not contacted technical support. I used the official documentation, which was enough for me.

The initial setup was straightforward. We used Docker, so it was pretty easy.

It didn't take long to deploy.

It's free. It's a community edition, so we do not pay anything.

There are no additional costs.

We didn't really evaluate other solutions. We did not have strict requirements in choosing a database. We just needed to keep JSON files informed when we produce them and MongoDB seems to be fine for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

Jorge Olmedo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Developer at Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba
    User
    Stable with a good aggregation framework and easy to scale
    • "The aggregation framework is really good, allowing a developer to build very complex queries."
    • "From my point of view, they need a totally free IDE to work at high levels."

What is our primary use case?

Our main purpose is to build a historical data lake containing commercial data of service usage, products, retailers and wholesalers, AAA sessions, account recharges and transferences, et cetera. We're looking at the whole company's key internet usage data from a commercial perspective.

The data lake holds data from 5 years, so now we're triggering ML processes. The impact of the product in the community has been huge, and by that I mean, the community of developers that make apps for the telecommunications market.

In our country, we were pioneers at using MongoDB. Now, at least 7 developer teams are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

It fits well. Data we want to keep represents facts. We've ETL'd from operational systems, so there was no need for relational engines. MongoDB allows us, through replication and sharing, to build a robust platform for keeping data. Even when volume starts to be an issue it is really easy to escalate horizontally and connectors do the rest.

I thought that choosing javascript as the internal query language might be a mistake, but that was a very good choice.

The fact is all of our users are happy with the stability and quick response times our solutions have. All of them are based on MongoDB as a persistence engine.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB is very stable, and, by that I mean, amazingly stable. Using javascript was the key to have a wide range of functionalities based on its syntax and grammar. The aggregation framework is really good, allowing a developer to build very complex queries. The fact a developer builds some functions and can run through the whole cluster, actually and efficiently using all the resources available, is a great advantage. It's given the developers a very robust path to building whatever procedures they need. MongoDB is very, very stable.

What needs improvement?

The product roadmap shows us that the MongoDB team is very professional. Since we started using the product, it's like having wizards that are one step ahead of our needs. They are looking at the community, the market, and the competition.

From my point of view, they need a totally free IDE to work at high levels. The best I know is Studio3T, but licensing and an embargo in our country make it difficult to access. MongoDB needs something like Studio3T (Compass is just fine, but it isn't Studio3T) to really get the whole developer community.

I've used the solution for more than six years.

Download our free MongoDB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022