Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Azure Object Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Object Storage is #9 ranked solution in top Public Cloud Storage Services. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Object Storage an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Object Storage is most commonly compared to Amazon S3: Microsoft Azure Object Storage vs Amazon S3. Microsoft Azure Object Storage is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Microsoft Azure Object Storage Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Object Storage Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Azure Object Storage?

REST-based object storage for unstructured data in the cloud

• Store infrequently accessed data in a low-cost cool storage tier
  • Store frequently accessed application data in a hot storage tier
  • Stream video, audio, and other media to web, mobile, or desktop applications
  • Power big data analytics
  • Access your data more securely, both over the wire and at rest

Microsoft Azure Object Storage was previously known as Microsoft Azure Blob Storage, Azure Object Storage, MS Azure Object Storage.

Microsoft Azure Object Storage Customers

Umbraco, Xbox, Radioshack, 343 Industries, McKesson

Microsoft Azure Object Storage Video

Archived Microsoft Azure Object Storage Reviews (more than two years old)

Principal Enterprise Architect at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Highly scalable and the performance is good, especially with unstructured data
    • "I would like to have out-of-the-box connectors to make integration with other products easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Azure Object Storage for our IoT use case. We have thousands of vendors using our machines and they are sending machine performance data to Azure. We then use this data for analytics and product management.

We use it both in our development and production environments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable options are performance and scalability. These two things are really effective.

What needs improvement?

The cost should be reduced to make it more competitive. There are other vendors that provide good solutions, so if Microsoft were more competitive in terms of pricing then it would be one reason for us to continue with them.

We have been using Azure Object Storage for the past two and a half years.

Microsoft Azure Object Storage
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure Object Storage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Azure is 100% stable, although there was an issue one time when the entire service was down for a day. This had a big impact, globally, although they were able to compromise with people who were affected.

This solution is used by the consumers of our products, of which there are at least 10,000.

Microsoft technical support is good because we have an enterprise agreement. We are happy with it.

We had our own servers, on-premises, and then we migrated to Azure.

The initial setup was of medium difficulty. I would not say that it is simple or complex, and they have good documentation to help.

It took more than six months to fully migrate to the Azure environment.

In the beginning, we had assistance from Microsoft. They helped us to come up with the proof of concept and the use case for our business. After that, our internal team took over. I would say that we had about 10% external help.

What other advice do I have?

Azure Object Storage is a product that I strongly recommend for storing all of your unstructured data. Similarly, if you don't know what kinds of data you need to store, then this is the right choice. It also does well if you have massive volume.

There is an IoT hub that is going to be released and my hope is that it includes many advanced features.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Owner at Might Resources Sdn Bhd
    Reseller
    A reliable solution for long-term backup retention
    • "The most important thing for me is reliability."
    • "I would like to see a reduction in pricing so that they can be more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Azure Object Storage for backups. Specifically, we use it for longterm backup retention.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing for me is reliability.

The support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The stability of this solution depends on the company that the client is working with. They have to be reputable and meet the appropriate standards for compliance.

This solution is very easy to scale. All of the object storage solutions have the same features.

We are in regular contact with technical support and I find them to be good.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and it probably takes a couple of days to deploy.

The cost of this solution is high compared to others, although there are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

There are other vendors for object storage on the market that are comparable in features, but the price of the competitors is cheaper. The main difference between vendors is the costs in terms of both storage and traffic.

What other advice do I have?

I am satisfied with the features that Azure Object Storage has.

In general, this is a product that I recommend but at the end of the day, the suitability depends on the use case and the requirements. If it is something that meets their needs then it will be very beneficial.

As we have worked with this product, we have not come across any problems that could not be resolved. That said, there is always room for improvement.

Microsoft Azure Object Storage
    September 2022
    634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    A flexible API, but technical support needs to be faster at resolving issues
    • "The most valuable feature is the API because it is very flexible."
    • "Technical support should be faster at resolving issues for tickets that we create."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and one of our products provides a secure email service for our clients. We deploy our products on Azure using a subscription-based model for our clients. The Azure Object Storage is one of the storage technologies that we use, depending on the requirements and what is needed.

For our secure email product, we store some of the encrypted data using this solution. It is done by installing an agent on the user's device, be it Android or otherwise, and the encryption is done on the server-side. Once encrypted, the data is transferred to Object Storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the API because it is very flexible.

If you need extra options such as authentication or authorization, then you just use the features that are available as part of Azure.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Azure Object Storage for more than five years.

We have had some issues with stability but we work closely with Microsoft and they have helped us to resolve many of these problems.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are sometimes slow at resolving our tickets. Overall, the support is good.

The complexity of the setup depends on what your requirements are. If you are deploying from scratch versus needing to migrate data, it is different.

For the most part, it is fully automated. We have written some scripts to assists us and the deployment normally takes between 20 minutes and an hour. It also depends on what region Azure is being used in.

We deploy this solution using our in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on your use cases and your requirements. Sometimes you will need block storage, rather than object storage. You need to know what technology is applicable and practical for your use cases.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Lead - CIO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good metadata analysis and quite stable but there are performance issues with Azure Table storage
    • "The metadata that the solution provides is quite valuable for us. If we need to analyze the latest data from a particular department or particular user, we can simply query through the metadata we store in Azure Object Storage and simply fetch those records which are maybe one day or one month old. this metadata storage is really handy for us."
    • "We've seen some performance issues with Azure Table storage. It's quite slow. The performance surrounding it should be improved to speed things up a bit."

What is our primary use case?

Our architects are using it, mostly. We primarily use the solution for Docker containers that we host our Jira and Confluence on. We use the solution for storage, including File, Table, and Block. We have about 20 terabytes of storage. We also do some reporting.

What is most valuable?

The metadata that the solution provides is quite valuable for us. If we need to analyze the latest data from a particular department or particular user, we can simply query through the metadata we store in Azure Object Storage and simply fetch those records which are maybe one day or one month old. this metadata storage is really handy for us.

What needs improvement?

Moving data from cold storage to the hot storage, or, to put it another way, moving data back and forth between regular storage and archival storage is difficult. There's no easy way to do it. In the past, we've been required to download the data and then upload it to cold storage. It's an annoying process. If the solution could fix this it would be much better.

I believe I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues with it.

We have people who use the solution on a daily basis in our organization. There are about 50 or more users.

It's quite easy to scale the solution as needed.

Technical support has been good. Whenever we've raised requests they've been dealt with promptly. We're satisfied with the level of support given to us.

We didn't previously use another solution before implementing Object Storage. Previously we had everything in-house. Now everything is on the public cloud.

The initial setup for the solution is straightforward. It's simple, in fact. It's not complex at all. Deployment is fast and easy too. It only takes about 20 minutes.

In our company, the maintenance of the solution is outsourced. We have a team of four outside the organization that handles it for us. They're like a support team and handle everything 24/7.

The implementation was handled completely in-house. We have Azure certified architects in my organization and we simply raise the request for the types of storage we want, what sort of machine we want and I handle the approvals.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using.

In terms of if other organizations should use the solution, I'd say that the question is, do they understand what they prefer. They need to understand the data they want to store and if they will need regular access to it. If they need the data to be easily accessible daily, they need to go for a Hot Tier. If they feel like they would be better off archiving, they need to look for a Cold Tier. The difference between the two is huge.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Practice Lead - Storage and Backup at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Stable backup and storage solution with cost value for long term retention
    • "The most valuable feature is the cost value, which is very important for long term retention."
    • "They could provide multiple tools to provide you with cost calculations, giving you a better picture or providing better details of the cost calculations over the years."

What is our primary use case?

We provide consultancy and we manage the service for our clients with different company sizes. We use this solution to keep backups of their data and for what we call cold storage.

There are some cases where we use it for general-purpose files.

What is most valuable?

We can keep the backups for a longer duration.

It's a simple solution.

What needs improvement?

They could provide multiple tools to provide you with cost calculations, giving you a better picture or providing you with better details of the cost calculations over the years.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Object Storage for two years.

It's quite stable.

This solution is easy to scale.

In most cases, it is used quite extensively.

We have contacted technical support a few times, and we have not had any issues, they always provided us with support.

Previously quite a few years back, there were several solutions available. We used a few solutions on a trial basis only, but they were slow.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward, not at all complex.

It took us about a week to deploy. There were four people involved to help with the deployment, one architect and three engineers.

For maintenance, most of it is automated, you only two or three to monitor and support it.

For the cloud, you get charges every day if you are going to download anything, besides the cost for storage those charges are always there.

We did not evaluate other options, we went with Microsoft straight away.

What other advice do I have?

It's not just the storage that is being affected, they have to know if they want to move the data back, and the data is vast and large, those costs will have to be taken care of also. That is something that you will have to be aware and cautious of.

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Senior Software Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to use with good performance and redundancy
    • "This solution is easy to use, and performance-wise it is better than others."
    • "Object re-use should be improved in order to get better performance and reduce the cost."

What is our primary use case?

I use this tool to develop Blob storage and deploy it on Azure. We are working in the educational domain and this solution is used in campus management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the development and redundancy.

This solution is easy to use, and performance-wise it is better than others.

What needs improvement?

We have experienced performance issues on the website.

The interface on the homepage can be improved.

When we are uploading items into storage, we only get information from a high level. This makes it difficult to find and delete specific files.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

In terms of stability, I have not found any issues.

There are no issues with scalability. We have approximately 400,000 users who are students, as well as others.

We were in touch with technical support to address slowdowns that were occurring on the website.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I deployed this solution.

The cost is based on the amount of traffic and we paid approximately 18 lakh Rupees ($25,000 USD) last year.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using this tool as it is useful and very easy to implement. Any develop can help to reduce their costs.

Download our free Microsoft Azure Object Storage Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022