IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Micro Focus ZENworks Configuration Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Micro Focus ZENworks Configuration Management?

Micro Focus' Configuration Management System is a comprehensive set of CMDB tools collects, stores, manages, updates, and presents data about software and infrastructure services configuration so you can lower costs and mitigate risk.

Micro Focus ZENworks Configuration Management was previously known as HPE CMS, HPE Configuration Management, Micro Focus Configuration Management.

Micro Focus ZENworks Configuration Management Customers

Tech Mahindra, NNIT, ASIC

Micro Focus ZENworks Configuration Management Video

Archived Micro Focus ZENworks Configuration Management Reviews (more than two years old)

StoyanMarkov - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer at DoITWise
Helpful impact analysis and the discovery capability is quite good
  • "The most valuable feature is the impact analysis."
  • "The native UI should be simplified because it is outdated and a little bit over-complicated."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for configuration management, which supports your change and incident management processes. It is quite good with change management because you can easily run an impact analysis if you're planning for a change. Because you are using the solution's integration management, it ensures that your CIs and CSIs in the virtual state are the same as they are in the authorized state. You have to monitor your network and it is quite good if you have some automation on-premises because if something happens then you can remediate the incident based on the root cause.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the impact analysis. The discovery capability is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The native UI should be simplified because it is outdated and a little bit over-complicated. The CMS UI is quite good, but it's an add-on. Using the containerized version should not depend on the container deployment function (CDF). I should be able to use my existing Kubernetes cluster, for example.

I have been using this solution since 2007 when it was known as HP CMS.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, BMC and others in Configuration Management. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There are some bugs, but that's to be expected of any software. I have never had a critical issue that stopped my solution from working.

Technical support is definitely good. When I have contacted them, I had my cases solved on time.

I am currently working on ServiceNow, which is the same type of solution but the software as a service model. It's in the cloud and you don't deploy anything. Basically, you just request an instance and start using the solution. It's quite similar, but it's not an on-premises solution so you need some components installed in your network for discovery.

The initial setup is not complex in any way, shape, or form. If you follow the process it is straightforward. Especially now, there is a containerized version, which is quite simple to install. This solution can be deployed on the cloud but it is not a SaaS, as such. You have to install it yourself and then if you're using Universal Discovery, you deploy those agents on your on-premises network to fully learn it.

This is a really good tool for the money.

What other advice do I have?

This tool works hand-in-hand with RPA technology. RPA will allow you to control your servers by deploying the server automation agent. You don't have the discovery, but then you can deploy the policies that maintain the authorized versus current state. On top of that, you can use server automation to deploy patches or remediate configuration issues on the operating system. My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that the process is set up properly, first. Once the process is set up, the tool will do the rest for you. Overall, this is a comprehensive tool that works well, and I wouldn't touch it other than to enhance the UI and make containerization work without the CDF. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Diego Caicedo Lescano - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Innovation Officer at SAGGA

What is our primary use case?

Asset configuration and change management. Configuration management is the bottom line for all our processes.

How has it helped my organization?

• Knowing my IT universe and changes to it
  • Better understanding what is connected and why
  • Helps me perform changes in connected infrastructure thanks to the discovery features

What is most valuable?

• Automatic Spiral Discovery: This feature enables deep and dynamic configuration and change management.
  • Automatic Mapping Discovery: This feature enables automated mapping of discovered CIs into a service.

What needs improvement?

It needs dashboards. There are a lot of reports but no dashboards.

More than five years.
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user368043 - PeerSpot reviewer
Global Active Directory & Security Manager - VP at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It allows us to deploy applications and primitive desktops globally. The upgrade cycle is very long.

Valuable Features

It allows us to deploy applications and primitive desktops globally.

Improvements to My Organization

We use it for managing our desktops. We have 350,000 desktops and it allows us to manage and control them relatively easily.

Room for Improvement

We need product notifications made quickly in the software lifecycle, but it does so unreliably. The upgrade cycle is sometimes years. Smaller vendors will do it every quarter.

It deploys just fine.

The infrastructure itself is stable, but the agent has a lot of problems. It has the habit of crashing or hanging. It's not so easy to spot the management layer on top as it's a bit old-fashioned.

It's very scalable, but it requires you to build your own management layer on top.

Technical support is average at best. If you need to speak to support about general issue, you might as well not bother and just do it yourself.

Other Solutions Considered

We're actually looking at others now, mainly Microsoft SCOM, which is probably the market leader if I'm honest.

Other Advice

Buy Microsoft SCOM.

Download our free Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, BMC, and more!
Updated: June 2022