IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

McAfee Complete Data Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Complete Data Protection is #4 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools. PeerSpot users give McAfee Complete Data Protection an average rating of 8 out of 10. McAfee Complete Data Protection is most commonly compared to Microsoft BitLocker: McAfee Complete Data Protection vs Microsoft BitLocker. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is McAfee Complete Data Protection?

Sensitive data is constantly at risk of loss, theft, and exposure. Many times, the data simply walks right out the front door on a laptop or USB device. Companies that suffer such a data loss risk serious consequences, including regulatory penalties, public disclosure, brand damage, customer distrust, and financial losses. According to a Ponemon Institute report, 7% of all corporate laptops will be lost or stolen sometime during their useful life. The rapid proliferation of mobile devices with large storage capacities and often internet access is opening up even more channels for data loss or theft, so protecting sensitive, proprietary, and personally identifiable information must be a top priority. McAfee Complete Data Protection Suites address all of these concerns and many more.

Download the Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

McAfee Complete Data Protection Customers

Xcel Energy

McAfee Complete Data Protection Video

Archived McAfee Complete Data Protection Reviews (more than two years old)

Saqer Aqra - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Cyber Security Consultant at Ingram Micro Inc.
Excellent protection that is easy to use with simple access to the DLP
  • "The solution is excellent for protecting users from data being exploited. It's also great for preventing data leakage."
  • "The solution needs more advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

Some users were concerned about their employees' information. They needed to protect this data from leakage and from any type of exploitation. Therefore, the DLP was deployed in their environment to protect them and to test the actual requirements. This is why we primarily use the solution.

The solution is simple.

Accessing the DLP is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs more advanced features.

Customers tend to not like the navigation that is offered.

While accessing the DLP is easy, navigating inside of it is difficult.

The policies and propagation need to be improved.

The solution should integrate more into the Cloud. McAfee is not focusing too much on the Cloud. They need to do so.

I've been working with this solution for about 16 to 18 months.

We've contacted technical support in the past and in general, they are quite good.

We've previously used Symantec and Trend Micro. They all have similar features. All of them use privacy encryption technology, and they are all simple in terms of just deploying the agent. They offer encryption of the endpoint. There's no major difference between any of them.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not complex. They make it very easy to implement the solution.

For a company with approximately 100 users, deployment takes approximately ten to eleven days.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. Our company is a partner as well as a distributor.

I would recommend companies who want some solid security products to consider this solution. McAfee is well known in the market, and it has a good reputation specifically surrounding the EPO encryption. I would recommend them.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate the solution higher if the navigation to the settings and propagation were more clear inside McAfee.

Application Programmer (Infrastructure and OA support) at a government with 10,001+ employees
Nice interface, feature-rich, and the technical support is helpful, but spinning disk performance needs to improve
  • "The server software console is exquisitely designed and organized for handy access and manipulation by the administrator."
  • "I would like to have an easier and less-hassle upgrade process in future releases of the software, and extra license renewal price discounts too."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for folder and disk encryption. One encrypted folder in Drive D: for each PC user and disk encryption for all notebook PCs, especially for sensitive or confidential data.

How has it helped my organization?

The McAfee Policy Orchestrator did a fair job in overall control and management of encryption. A centralized repository of various functions is provided in an excellent user interface and menu system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are effective folder and disk encryption, and the practical server console-started agent/encryption module deployment to endpoints are highly commendable.

Encryption user assignment and key generation can be performed fast enough.

What needs improvement?

Well expectedly, the upgrade process from Orchestrator v5.32 to 5.91 will be a bit painful for a lengthy and hardly completed client saturation (i.e. ensuing endpoint upgrade, if not done after server & SHA cert update committed, the client(s) will completely fail to work again) for our 1300+ endpoints. These included PCs and offline notebooks, which cannot be easily kept online over an extended period of time waiting for saturation in an undetermined upgrade order. I would like to have an easier and less-hassle upgrade process in future releases of the software, and extra license renewal price discounts too.

Procurement/license renewal options should also be devised by McAfee for continually incremental buying by an organization over its lifetime of usage.

Additionally, export and re-import of encryption keys in a batch could also be available as an extra orchestrator module for seamless transfer in case of server migration/re-installation.

Noticeably, the disk encryption process is far swifter on PCs/notebooks equipped with SSD drives but a speed improvement should better be available in future releases for mechanical disk drives for still being existent in the years to come.

I have been using McAfee Complete Data Protection for three years.

Apart from the disk encryption process that has a couple of times failed to transfer the initial encryption login password to the client PCs, in which token recovery was required, we have come across very few issues.

Good variety of modules and easy incorporation.

We have raised support cases to McAfee and they responded in a professional and helpful manner and completed with successful resolutions.

Our previous experience with Symantec encryption has left a lot of room for improvements such as deployment/redeployment ease and Active Directory integration. We, therefore, chose McAfee for its feature-richness and a reasonable price with good market acceptance and knowledge availability.

The initial setup can be done in two days or so, highly recommended with the assistance by experienced solution contractors.

We hired a contractor I.T. company to have initially installed everything and configured the total solution to work successfully. The organization-wide deployment from scratch at the beginning is simple, fast and problem-free, enough though we preferred using remote execution of DOS scripts to copy and run the installer at client endpoints.

In a word, it was a good and satisfactory start.

This solution is reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

So far, we are satisfied with the overall results and the product welcomed by end-users with few complaints.

Google
Endpoint Encryption
April 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Microsoft, Broadcom and others in Endpoint Encryption. Updated: April 2022.
596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Presales Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Gives accessibility to either allow or block many preferences on a machine and does a good job of protecting against any data loss
  • "With McAfee Complete Data Protection, you can managed all your security solutions from one single server and one interface. This might be the most powerful advantage of McAfee's solution."
  • "The product consumes too much RAM and CPU for its processing and this can lead to resource issues on PCs."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy McAfee products mostly as service delivery providers for our customers. About 60% to 70% of the time we use this solution as the complete, modular anti-virus component for data and endpoint protection. We use the advanced version for device control. Sometimes we integrate Endpoint Encryption for file and folder protection and maybe add in McAfee Application Control to block unwanted applications. We provide services for prevention as well as endpoint and firewall solutions. Depending on what the client wants, there are many of the McAfee modules in this line that we work with to provide an integrated solution.

Unfortunately, we are not using McAfee in our company because there are policies that come from our main offices in India rather than here in the UAE. That is the only reason we are using another solution. But for my own purposes, this is the solution I have chosen to use in my home.

Our customers are mainly medium-sized organizations although we have some enterprise clients. When I say enterprise, I mean companies that have more than 1000 machines. I have very big clients that have more than 2,000 end-users and they are using this product.

What is most valuable?

Often the customers have requirements where we need to provide them with endpoint DLP (Data Loss Prevention) solutions. McAfee's DLP is a very good product. It gives you accessibility to either allow or block many preferences on a machine and does a good job of protecting against any data loss. This is what I think is the most valuable feature in the solution.

What needs improvement?

The improvement that I think most needs to be addressed is a claim from many customers that I receive all the time. They say that the product consumes too much RAM and CPU. It makes clones in the machine and that eats up resources.

It makes the clone as long as it is running on the machine. The problem is big enough for users that I need to have another smart, reliable solution that can be deployed instead if the customer does not have the hardware to allow the product to consume the needed volume of RAM and CPU. If McAfee were able to do all it does without stealing so much of the resources on a machine, I would not have this problem of having to consider other deployments.

We have been using the solution for between six or seven years. Earlier it was called VSP. At that time it was not complete all-in-one protection. It has been only for maybe two or three years they have changed the name to Complete Data Protection and made this well-integrated product.

From my point of view, the product is very stable and the support team is very responsive. If they release a new update and there was a bug or something, they release a patch or fix for it very quickly.

The scalability of the solution is there. McAfee is one of the oldest security companies. They have been creating and releasing security solutions since 1987, so they know what they are doing and they do it well.

We deploy the solution to medium and enterprise clients so it can scale up and handle larger clients.

Essentially, as a service delivery partner, we are also technical support to some level.

Because we deploy for clients, we work with a variety of solutions in order to meet their needs. While I am working mostly with McAfee solutions, I'm also very familiar with the broader classification of security solutions. I have worked with various PAM (Privileged Access Management) solutions. I don't only work with McAfee portfolio or their security products but it is what I deploy most often. I am familiar with Symantec, LogRhythm SIEM solution, and Forcepoint. Also, I have worked with security solutions for USB, for the web, for email, and for secure file transfer solutions, so I am very familiar with a lot of security solutions and how they work.

The main difference between McAfee Complete Data Protection and other solutions is that McAfee has a strong point as a comprehensive security solution. With Endpoint Security, you don't have to have different management interfaces to manage your endpoint solutions. It all can be managed from one single server in one interface. This might be their main and most powerful advantage because users do not have to mix and matching various products to accomplish what a security suite can. They also do not have to deal with potential incompatibilities.

The initial setup is something I have done often so it is very clear how to do it and it is easy for me.

On average it takes very little time to deploy. For the management console EPO (ePolicy Orchestrator) it is a maximum of maybe half an hour for it to be deployed. It depends on the server. Deploying the endpoint from the management console also does not take much time. If the network and the firewall ports are open, normally it takes only 5 to 10 minutes and you can deploy it in batches of 50 or 100 machines in each batch. So the total time depends on how many batches, but the installation on the machines can take as little as 5 to 10 minutes.

We do all of our own implementations and the implementations for clients as well.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I have for people considering this type of security solution is not to listen to what all the companies advertise. You can see bad reviews, maybe good reviews as well, but you need to use that information from the reviews as a starting point for your own observations and not just believe what reviews say. I know some reviews on the internet are fair, but some reviews are not. Try to do a POC (Proof of concept) and conduct testing for yourself. Define your policies as per your requirements for your situation and your company and choose products that meet the needs of that model. If you want to install any solution with the default policies, it will probably not fit your requirements exactly. You will need to do enhancements and fine-tune the solution, so you will need a solution that can be tuned. Give the solutions a try. Do the POC for one or two months and then you can decide if it is a good solution for you.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight of ten. To make it ten or even a nine, they need to resolve the issues with how the solution consumes PC resources.

AdnanButt - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Security Specialist
Good antivirus aspects, an easy to use interface and good stability
  • "The interface is very good. You can create and manage your own dashboard."
  • "The refresh feature needs improvement. You need to refresh it manually yt going to the address bar, clicking on it and pressing enter, or pressing F5. There should be a button you can click on to refresh or have it so every five seconds it's refreshing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection, data loss prevention and application whitelisting.

What is most valuable?

The antivirus is the solution's most valuable feature.

The interface is very good. You can create and manage your own dashboard.

The reporting is very good.

What needs improvement?

QTs should be drag and drop.

The solution should allow for a bit more customization.

The reporting is good, but could use improvement. Right now you can export it as a PDF or CSV but these options will not make your design available. They should be more visual.

I've been using the solution for almost five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about 1,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support is good. We've been largely satisfied with them so far.

We previously used ArcSite. It was the choice of the company to switch solutions.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes about half an hour.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We did evaluate Trend Micro before choosing McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution. It's modern, simple, scalable and reliable.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Abel Abenemi - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Support Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Protects and secures your data from threats and from copying
  • "In the configuration, you can restrict a user from accessing a removable drive."
  • "I want simplicity. A new user opening the dashboard will be confused. It needs to be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps us to protect and secure our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Data Loss Prevention. There is progression. It's quite amazing!

In the configuration, you can restrict a user from accessing a removable drive. They can bring in malware from external sources into the network without it coming from the internet. It could come from a memory stick. With the Data Loss Prevention, we can check for this and we can stop them from being able to use a flash drive or pin drive on their computer.

You can stop them from having access to a CD so that the company information cannot be lost to malware. They can't access anything, because as soon as they insert a memory stick it tells them to stop.

The company is also trying to prevent any data, or files from being copied. With this feature, you can configure it to not allow any copying.

If anyone inserts a memory stick, we get a report alerting us on the server of where the threat is coming from or who is trying to bypass or change the rule.

Another valuable feature is the McAfee ePO, which is the centralized monitoring tool. You can have your computers on the network and this feature will tell you who is behind in terms of updates from the server. You can also view the modules that have been installed on a particular workstation.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the integration, the information or instruction that comes with the package is not good. When you are getting started it's not easy to integrate it, there are many things involved. If you are a beginner you can easily become confused, but if you have experience then it can be easy.

In the next release, I would like to see some additional product features added to the interface.

There should be more public awareness or comparisons in the market. People are still questioning why I chose McAfee.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This solution is stable.

We rarely have issues with the server not being able to connect to the lastest engines.

We have more than seventy computers on the network.

McAfee has very good support.

We can submit a report online to open a case and they will contact you immediately to confirm. If you don't respond right away they will follow up with you via email every day until you respond.

They don't just leave you to resolve the issue alone, they support you to the very end.

The support methods are secure before they assist you by logging in remotely they will verify with a code through your mobile device.

There are two parts to the setup, installation and the configuration.

It is easy to install if you have the prerequisite software. If you run into issues you are provided with codes that you can enter online and get help with the particular issue.

As you get familiar with it, it gets easier.

IT Security Consultant at ZOL Zimbabwe
Reseller
Excellent endpoint protection with good technical support and good stability
  • "The McAfee Threat Protection and McAfee Web Protection are valuable aspects of the solution. They're better than other features that come with the endpoints."
  • "The solution needs to reduce the number of false positives. There are too many of them."

What is most valuable?

The McAfee Threat Protection and McAfee Web Protection are valuable aspects of the solution. They're better than other features that come with the endpoints.

What needs improvement?

In future releases, McAfee Endpoint Protection needs to also include a module for mobile devices. If they do this, they should ensure the feature caters to both Android and iOS.

The solution is stable. The only problem that I had noticed was when Windows updated to Windows 10. However, McAfee was quick to release a patch that fixed the issue. The patch ensured McAfee remained stable, especially in a corporate environment.

I'd rate technical support seven out of ten.

Every year we have to go through product certifications, so we hardly come across situations that require us to contact McAfee, because we've been trained to do the support ourselves.

The support for McAfee is okay, but we do support for our clients in-house. If we come across a problem, we always look to their knowledge base first. McAfee has a big, vast knowledge base where you get answers without having to go through technical support most of the time.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using the solution since 2005. We're partners with McAfee.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

For them to get 10, I think they also need to make sure they are still compatible with earlier versions of Windows. In this part of the world, in Africa, you find that there are companies that are still using the earlier editions of Windows, like Windows XP. They need to make sure they incorporate those operating systems even if they've reached the end of life for Windows, like Windows XP. Right now, the new version doesn't support XP.

Anatolii Konstantynov - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Engineer at ISSP
Feature Rich, Scalable, Low-Cost Solution
  • "It is capable of acting as Web control, Device Control, or Data Control."
  • "It is difficult to manage."

What is most valuable?

All features in this solution are valuable, but it depends on its function.

It is capable of acting as Web control, Device Control, or Data Control.

What needs improvement?

I don't like this solution because it is difficult to manage endpoints, policies, algorithm engines, and products.

We can't control how it works with Outlook or the browser.

You can't control the application over the browser to Google Chrome, Google Drive, or OneDrive.

It is difficult to manage.

Support needs improvement. They take days to get back to you and are not always able to help.

This solution is not stable, other solutions are better.

In the next release, I would like to see more work done with the Browsers or to have a cloud control application.

I have been using this solution for four years.

My impression is that this is not a stable solution, we can find better solutions.

This solution is scalable.

When contacting support, we would have to wait days before getting a response, and other times they were not able to help.

In my opinion, they do not have a qualified support team.

The initial setup was complex. We had several machines that were not domain machines and it is difficult to deploy the agents.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises, using McAfee LSD.

We did not use a vendor, we implemented the solution ourselves.

The price is good, it's a low-cost solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with McAfee.

Senior Trusted Advisor LoB Banking at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides protection for my notebook with no maintenance, but the price can be improved

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to protect my notebook.

This is an on-premise deployment that was installed by my company on my notebook.

What is most valuable?

I don't need to have any interaction with this product, which means that it is very, very good, and it is doing its job.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution needs to be improved.

This solution does not do as well at protecting the end-user against unknown viruses.

I have never had any issues with this solution.

My understanding is that it was easy to deploy. It was done very quickly, and I have not noticed any issues with the notebook since the installation.

Our in-house IT department handled the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

This product is perfect, just too expensive.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Manager IT at OTE
The device control is more reliable and more stable but the interface is not easy for administrators
  • "With this solution, the device control is more reliable and more stable."
  • "The solution should be more user-friendly."

What is most valuable?

With this solution, the device control is more reliable and more stable. We even use it for our email policies, but we are mainly using it in our environment for device protection policies. We are controlling almost all types of devices, like USB and CD-ROM devices, imaging devices, and even cameras. So we are basically able to control everything in our environment.

What needs improvement?

If you compare this solution with next-generation products like CrowdStrike, you will find that it should be easier to work on and therefore more user-friendly. With this solution, data protection is not straightforward. So McAfee should focus more on ease of management and user-friendliness.

I would also like to have an option to migrate from the old environment to the new, graphical environment. The interface itself is not easy for administrators because they have to check everything. The integration of AD users in the DLP can also improve as well as taking reports. For instance, if a user wants information on the kind of report in the DLP, I can currently not look at it. I need to get a proper DLP report.

Also, if my management is asking a report, I must be able to tell how many users' USB is blocked. Right now I am not able to see what policy I implemented and how many users I have. Those are the basic things that McAfee should improve during the migration process. It should be straightforward.

We've been using McAfee Complete Data Protection for more than ten years now on premise.

The solution is very stable.

I believe it is scalable but there is always room for improvement. I like the ease of management and you can add the how-to, create a policy, and make new sections. I prefer CrowdStrike's device control when it comes to email policies because it is more straightforward. I believe it is because everything is moving towards the Cloud now. I'm not saying that McAfee is not going to the Cloud, but the product can be more advanced. I still personally feel that, even for a small-sized company, mid-sized company, or even a company with more than 2000, 5000 users, this product is really good.

The technical support of McAfee is good and that is why we use McAfee products. The support and protection is very prompt.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward and we didn't experience any complications. What I like, is that the data is basically integrated with McAfee so you can use the afim interface for integration. It is straightforward to implement your DLP with the afim server.

We use Email Gateway, but now we use a couple of McAfee products like the antivirus and DLP.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are looking for a DLP solution, a data protection solution, would be to go for it. Along with the antivirus protection, I would definitely suggest the company to go for the next generation in antivirus or EDR or sensing technology which is currently more available in the market. There is more, newer technology on the market today. And antivirus properties of McAfee technology, like scanning the viruses and things like that, is more traditional, conventional technology. I will not say to go ahead with the antivirus, but McAfee's DLP data protection is still very good and it is one of the stable solutions on the market. I will rate it a seven out of ten.

Ilan Amir - PeerSpot reviewer
Global IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Allows me to define rules that protect the database beyond the built-in rules
  • "In addition, it is easy to use, and you can define rules that protect the database beyond the built-in rules of the product. I found another purpose for the product besides the basic things that it does, protecting the database: privileged use, weak authentication, SQL injection and and database platform vulnerability."
  • "A better GUI platform would make it easier to present information to management; I would not need to fix the data before I present it."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to protect the database from privileged use, weak authentication, database exposure, SQL injection, and database platform vulnerability. This product answered those five and more.

I found ways to add more rules within the product, to a different area in the database, which helps me use the product in addition as a kind of DLP solution. If one of the users makes heavy requests from the database, and take exception reports, I get an alarm, or I can automatically block those transactions.

How has it helped my organization?

The improvement is from the management point of view because, when implementing database security, you don't see any improvement in performance or productivity. The purpose of the product is to give visibility to management that the heart of the company is secured in the maximum way possible, and this solution is giving us that.

The report that I present to the management team shows this, that it's safe, that we are monitoring the database all the time, and the vulnerability of the database is prevented, thanks to this solution. The improvement is the security that it provides.

What is most valuable?

With this product, the performance of the database wasn't affected at all.

I came to this solution because there was a data leak from one of the internal users who was taking information from inside the company, from the ERP system. When she left the company, she was giving it to our competitors. I found a way with this product to also create a DLP solution. I got two products in one solution, so it is very efficient.

What needs improvement?

Maybe a better GUI platform; that would make it easier to present information to management, so I would not need to fix the data before I present it.

Three to five years.

The stability is very, very good. I was very impressed that it didn't effect the performance of the database at all. At first I put it in monitoring mode, so I could see that it's stable, and not affecting the database performance. After a month running on monitoring, I put it in prevention mode, and it did it without any performance issues. So that was great.

I think scalability is very good. You can grow the product, you can add more databases to it. It depends on the license that you purchase. You can grow with the product without any issues.

I'm working with a security company called Intensity. After doing my own PoC, and also checking an IBM solution, I was fine with this product. Intensity, the partner, implemented the product, and they were working with customer support of the product.

Customer support is very good, because we didn't run into any issues that weren't resolved. The implementation ran very smoothly on Oracle Database. So I would evaluate support as very good.

I didn't use database security before this. I was protecting the data of the company with other products, not directly on the database. But when we ran into data leaks from one of the users, I searched for a DLP solution. DLP solutions, to implement in a company, are very, very complex. So I searched for another solution that would gives us the same result but in a different way, and this product did it.

It's not straightforward. You need to have database knowledge to know which parts of the data you want to protect within the database, to map your data and tables in order to make the rules. For the basic things that the product does, the knowledge you need is straightforward for system integration. But when you're diving into the product and you want to enhance the solution, you need a DBA to protect your database in a significant way, as I was implementing it.

I also evaluated Nyotron. I went with McAfee for the stability, that it's handled by McAfee and they are an experienced company.

What other advice do I have?

When you're searching for a vendor, first of all you want to be secure and comfortable with the partner that you're working with. The partner can see many vendors in the industry, and is working with many companies. When he's recommending a vendor, I'm more comfortable working with that vendor. So I'm listening to my partner's recommendation, and then I start to check out those vendors.

The criteria include that it is a stable vendor, has been in the market a long time, has a good solid, financial base so it can support the product that I'm working with.

My advice would be to speak with other companies who have implemented the solution to get references.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

When I'm looking for a product like this, I don't want it to interfere with the performance of my database or system. The purpose of database security is to protect our ERP system database, and if the performance is going to be harmed or affected, from a business point of view that's a big issue. This product did not affect performance.

Download our free Endpoint Encryption Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Microsoft, Broadcom, and more!
Updated: April 2022