We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

KNIME OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

KNIME is #1 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools and #3 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give KNIME an average rating of 8 out of 10. KNIME is most commonly compared to Alteryx: KNIME vs Alteryx. KNIME is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is KNIME?
KNIME is the leading open platform for data-driven innovation helping organizations to stay ahead of change. Use our open-source, enterprise-grade analytics platform to discover the potential hidden in your data, mine for fresh insights or predict new futures.

KNIME was previously known as KNIME Analytics Platform.

KNIME Buyer's Guide

Download the KNIME Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

KNIME Customers
Infocom Corporation, Dymatrix Consulting Group, Soluzione Informatiche, MMI Agency, Estanislao Training and Solutions, Vialis AG
KNIME Video

KNIME Pricing Advice

What users are saying about KNIME pricing:
  • "KNIME is free as a stand-alone desktop-based platform but if you want to get a KNIME server then you can find the cost on their website."
  • "At this time, I am using the free version of Knime."
  • "It's an open-source solution."
  • "The price of KNIME is quite reasonable and the designer tool can be used free of charge."
  • "There is a Community Edition and paid versions available."
  • KNIME Reviews

Vadim Shumilov
    Data Analytics Consultant at Optivia
    Good workflow tools, supports Python and R integration
    • "The visual workflow tools for custom and complex tasks always beat raw coding languages with the agility, speed to deliver, and ease of subsequent changes."
    • "I would like to see better web scraping because every time I tried, it was not up to par, although you can use Python script."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for various data analytics in an enterprise environment.

The reality of any data analytics project including Data Science is that 90% of the effort goes into data sourcing and preparation. Data usually comes from multiple sources including data warehouses, web scraping, Excel input, free text, etc. KNIME allows you to do the 90% plus other predictive functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a free open-source tool that performs very similarly to other expensive tools. KNIME has been great for me over the years. It allows me to connect to various sources including data warehouses, then put the processing logic together (ETL-like), which can be quite complex and produce the required output. Ultimately, it would go into Excel or Tableau for presentation.

What is most valuable?

The features that I find most valuable are:

1. The visual workflow tools for custom and complex tasks always beat raw coding languages with the agility, speed to deliver, and ease of subsequent changes.
    2. Unlimited volume of data; you are only limited by the machine you run on.
    3. Python and R integration.
    4. Predictive functionality and text analytics. If it is not enough then you can use custom Python and R scripts.
    5. Looping functionality.
    6. Variables allow you to parameterize your flows.
    7. Run one node at a time, which is something that Alteryx users dream of doing.
    8. Managing (collapsing) sub-flows, which is another thing that Alteryx container users also dream of.

What needs improvement?

The areas that I feel need improvement are:

• It needs support for a joiner node to have three outputs (left unmatched, matched, right unmatched), as competitors do (have not checked 2019/20 releases).
    • I need the ability to add additional comparison conditions to a join. For example, in SQL you can specify only rows with a date fitting within a date range from the joined file. At the moment in KNIME, you should allow a join explosion to take place and filter what you need later, but sometimes the output becomes too big.
    • It would be helpful to have more examples of Java code for nodes, like Java Snippet.
    • I would like to have this solution show row counts on canvas, as it would improve the control and speed to build the workflow.
    • The pseudo-code types could be rationalised into one (e.g. only Java).
    • I would like to see better web scraping because every time I tried, it was not up to par, although you can use Python script.

I have been using KNIME for between four and five years.

My system occasionally may crash like other similar tools, although autosave is available.

Scalability is limited to a desktop application.

Obviously, as an open-source application, your options are limited but I have found answers on forums when I needed help.

Recently I have been using Alteryx so I have collected a few points on differences in both tools. Both are good, I can conclusively say I could go back to KNIME and be as effective data professional as I am with Alteryx.

I have to use Alteryx due to my client's tool choice, but I know that what I am doing with Alteryx right now could be done better in KNIME. Of course, Alteryx has its own advantages for certain areas.

It is a relatively simple install. You can even avoid installing it and run from a directory.

KNIME is free as a stand-alone desktop-based platform but if you want to get a KNIME server then you can find the cost on their website. The fact that KNIME is open source may create challenges from an IT security view in an enterprise environment.

For this review, I would include Alteryx and Lavastorm (the latter is no longer available).

What other advice do I have?

If you need a good Visualisation functionality, you should use Tableau or something of that caliber. However, the data prep can be done KNIME, which would give you extra confidence that what goes into your Visualisation layer is correct.

Overall, KNIME is definitely worth considering.

SnehaaSelvakumaran
    BI Solutions Developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Open source with good analytic capabilities and very stable
    • "The product is open-source and therefore free to use."
    • "They should look at other vendors like Alteryx that are more user friendly and modern."

What is most valuable?

The data analytics capabilities in KNIME are excellent. It's not just a statistical ETL tool. We can go deeper and do various types of tasks beyond straight analytics.

The product is open-source and therefore free to use.

The solution offers lots of different options.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be a bit better. It's currently very dated.

From a systems point of view, the tool is not completely user friendly.

Users tell us they would like to do their own analytics and find it difficult to accomplish without the help of a technical service.

You need to be a bit more knowledgeable in order to handle the solution. It's not difficult, it's just more technical than other options.

I've been dealing with the solution for four years.

The solution is very stable. There aren't issues surrounding bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable.

It depends on the requirements you have, however it is scalable, at least for the next two years.

We typically work with enterprise-level organizations. The companies aren't that small.

The technical support is okay. I'd give them three out of five stars.

I don't find any of their online tutorials help anyone at all. I am comparing KNIME with Alteryx mainly due to the fact that those two are the main ETL tools which most of my clients use. The technical support and documentation that are available for Alteryx are quite good. We don't get that level of documentation or videos from KNIME's support. It's very limited.

We also use Alteryx. We use both solutions, depending on the client. I tend to recommend Alteryx. For someone who has good technical knowledge, they can go with KNIME. However, if they're not a techy person, I would recommend Alteryx for them.

The initial setup is not complex. It is pretty easy. However, you have to know what to do. If you have software demo documents or if you have tutorials to support you, then it is easy. I wouldn't say that it's a complex tool at all. It's pretty easy.

The solution is open-source and therefore cheap to use. Anyone can access it. They can just download it off the internet and start. Alteryx is way too expensive. In terms of pricing, it's always better to go with KNIME.

What other advice do I have?

I am both consultant and a vendor right now. We do a bit of consultant work for some of our clients and we give the tutorials to them. We typically get in touch with them, and they send what they need and we do the distribution for them.

I'd recommend new users have their requirements sorted out first so that they know what they need out of the tool. If that is clear, they can install the custom content required in KNIME to get their analytics done correctly. If that is there, then it's a piece of cake.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the user interface was better and it offered better technical support, I would rate it higher.

Learn what your peers think about KNIME. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Visually appealing, user-friendly and intuitive in creating workflows and automating tasks
    • "From a user-friendliness perspective, it's a great tool."
    • "If they had a more structured training model it would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I am a basic user, doing a data science course.

I am using Knime more from a study perspective, rather than a practical work application.

I am fairly competent with creating workflows and automating some basic things in Knime.

How has it helped my organization?

NA

What is most valuable?

From a user-friendliness perspective, it's a great tool.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the online training content could be better, although I have been able to find all of the information. At times they're quite lengthy, and for me to go through everything and then get a resolution takes a good amount of time.

They could have a more structured node-wise training model, where I can simply get into it. For example, if I need to understand a node to create pivot tables, I have to go through the training mode to understand what the functionality is.

If they had a more structured training model it would be very helpful.

It would be helpful to launch more certification programs online.

There could be better marketing. The awareness of Knime is limited, especially for small organizations. When you compare with PowerBI, there is a lot of active marketing put into their product, also, having Microsoft associated with it is an advantage.

They have to step up on the marketing aspect and the ability to digitize using Knime. Many are aware of other tools such as PowerBI.

In the next release, I would like to see the certification available for active users.

Also the costing aspect of the certification, there could be more local impact time zone programs with a bit of costing dissension to encourage more active users in Knime who can then move to the server version in their organization.

I have been using Knime for approximately one year.

We are in the testing phase of this solution.

It is quite stable. I have not been faced with any issues since I have been using this solution.

Knime is a scalable product.

We have five power users who are test prototype users at the moment. We are trying to sell that prototype to the management so that we can deploy it on a larger scale.

I have never had the need to reach out to technical support.

At some point when I move on with the server versions, I might need some help.

The desktop version, it's more of an install and then just run it.

At this time, I am using the free version of Knime.

I did look at Tableau and was considering it to some extent. I felt Knime was more user-friendly and more versatile to automate tasks (most of them excel based).

What other advice do I have?

I am quite supportive of this product. It has been helpful in automating a few of my accounting activities.

Digital groups such as Knime have great potential, but there needs to be more aggressiveness with marketing. There are many executives that do not know what Knime is.

My journey starts by explaining what Knime is and what the functionalities are.

I like Knime, and I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Benedikt Schwaiger
    CEO at SMH - Schwaiger Management Holding GmbH
    Stable and easy to set up with very good ETL features
    • "All of the features related to the ETL are fantastic. That includes the connectors to other programs, databases, and the meta node function."
    • "The predefined workflows could use a bit of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an ETL - to Extract, Transform, Load topics.

What is most valuable?

Technical support has been extremely responsive so far.

The solution has a very strong and supportive community that shares information and helps each other troubleshoot.

The solution is very stable.

The initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be a little bit more comfortable. The usability, in general, could be much better.

The predefined workflows could use a bit of improvement.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is pretty stable. I don't recall facing any bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't crash or freeze. It's fairly reliable overall.

We have about 10 users in the company that are on the solution regularly. They are all either engineers or business consultants.

The technical support on offer is very good. We rarely have issues, however, if we do, the support that is provided is very fast and the team is very knowledgeable. There's also a very strong and active KNIME community that includes KNIME developers.

At the end of the day, when we run into issues, it's dealt with immediately and we're very satisfied with the level of service provided.

The initial setup isn't complex. I'd describe it as straightforward. What makes it very easy is that there's so much material available online. Users have access to many forms of documentation, including webinars and training documents. When it comes to finer details, of course, it gets more complex, however, that's pretty normal in every product.

What other advice do I have?

We are KNIME partners and also provide KNIME training to clients as well.

We're a startup, and we're in the startup phase, however, we are working to build more business relationships with KNIME.

In my previous company, we were also partnered with KNIME. Currently, I'm working as a consultant and we have a customer who is using SAP Analytics, however, I am interested in learning more about the differences between KNIME and SAP Analytics. That's something I'm looking at right now.

We would definitely recommend this solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I don't know if there's a tool better than this particular product, however, there's always room for improvement on any technology.

Piotr Świątek
    Test Engineer at ProData Consult
    An impressive open-source product that is stable and easy to use
    • "What I like the most is that it works almost out of the box with Random Forest and other Forest nodes."
    • "The documentation is lacking and it could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I am advocating the use of this solution in my organization. I use it personally for my purposes and for the company, I use it for internal data science with very good results.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is that it works almost out of the box with Random Forest and other Forest nodes.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to say at this time, as I am not using the latest version. I have noticed that I don't have the latest modules that were added, such as ML.

In my opinion, there's one thing lacking. As far as algorithm notes go, it would be handy if category algorithms of C4 or C4.5 could be set with a checkbox or something like that.

Once you go to the forum or the documentation, to see how to implement a C4.5, you mark the checkbox, and only then it would be content for C4 or C4.5.

The documentation is lacking and it could be better. It's a community-driven product but there are a few crucial models missing such as ANOVA and MANOVA.

I have been using KNIME since December 2019.

In my opinion, it is very stable.

I have not yet explored the scalability as I am using it on my local machine and I don't have the experience of putting it on the cloud.

I do plan to increase my usage.

The documentation is okay, although there are things missing. At the same time, the forum support is great.

Previously, I was using SPSS Statistics, although that was ten years ago. I had a gap in data mining and the statistic field as a whole.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

It's an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am considering further courses and maybe some certification in the next year.

I would strongly recommend KNIME. It's a modeling or statistics product that can be used by almost anyone with knowledge in the field. It works almost out of the box.

For starters, it's approximately two hours of watching videos and/or reading the documentation, and then off you go.

I built my first working model in two days when I started using KNIME, and it only needed to be tweaked. It was impressive.

Tseesuren Batsuuri
    VP, Software and IT Service at ITZone LLC
    Reseller
    Easy to use and reasonably priced, but more training material needs to be made available
    • "This solution is easy to use and it can be used to create any kind of model."
    • "KNIME needs to provide more documentation and training materials, including webinars or online seminars."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and KNIME is a product that we are working on reselling to our customers. We sell BI tools such as Tableau and many of our customers that are using these tools need to have an AI solution. They have lots of use cases for AI including, for example, those from the financial sector would like to use AI for credit scoring. We also have government clients who will have their own specific use cases.

We have not yet sold it to any of our customers because they are still using the free tools and we are promoting it based on that.

What is most valuable?

The nicest part of KNIME is that the designer tool is free.

This solution is easy to use and it can be used to create any kind of model.

What needs improvement?

We are worried about the performance when it comes to using a lot of data that has many rows and columns. On the server-side, we are not sure whether KNIME can manage or handle large amounts of data without issue. It looks like it will easily work for small datasets but we are concerned about performance as the volume increases.

KNIME needs to provide more documentation and training materials, including webinars or online seminars. At this time, it is not sufficient when compared to some other vendors.

The user interface needs to be improved because it looks quite messy and I am not very comfortable using it.

I have been familiar with KNIME for two or three years but we have been actively interested in it for less than a year.

We have not deployed the entire solution for a customer yet. However, we have been working with the design tool, which does not require deployment. You just have to download it and then it can be used for testing demonstration data.

What other advice do I have?

Many of our customers have streaming data and want to use an AI model. We do not yet know whether KNIME will handle live-streaming and it is something that we intend to test.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Head Of Business Solutions | Unmanned Shop | Automated Retail | AI | IoT | Robotic | Data Science at Smart Retail
    Good data preparation and wrapping, but needs online training and more examples
    • "This solution is easy to use and especially good at data preparation and wrapping."
    • "It needs more examples, use cases, and MOOC to learn, especially with respect to the algorithms and how to practically create a flow from end-to-end."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is shopping-basket analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives much insight about business in different aspects, from understanding product portfolio to clients, much of them arouse interests from important stakeholders

What is most valuable?

It is a complete data science platform and especially good at scaling up data preparation and wrapping. It provides a large numbers of algorithms to look at data from different angles

What needs improvement?

It needs more examples, use cases, and MOOC to learn, especially with respect to the algorithms and how to practically create a flow from end-to-end.  The learning curve is steep.

We have been using this solution for six months.

Very good

Perfect

Very good and very prompt, usually in a few hours, can't complain more

I wrote Python in different IDE, however KNIME is easier to tackle with changes in data sources, processes, and expectations, etc. It is simple to work around with different situations for testing and comparison.

Setup is very easy, no more than a normal app

I do it myself, and I am super-user level

More than worthy to invest

One of the benefit for KNIME is free for desktop version, which is enough for small team work. It is worthy to try but prepare for times to search and learn. It is not really as easy as drag and drop.

I check with Alteryx and RapidMiner

What other advice do I have?

Official and structural online training is a must, which is now not enough. Or you can start something simple very easily but stuck to go deeper. However KNIME response is very prompt.

Sanyam Jangir
    Vice President Business Transformation at AJA
    Good sample features, scales well, and the community support is helpful
    • "KNIME is quite scalable, which is one of the most important features that we found."
    • "Compared to the other data tools on the market, the user interface can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are users of KNIME and we also resell this product.

The primary use case is for data analysis.

What is most valuable?

KNIME has a good set of features for data analytics.

The sampling features are some of the most important ones for us.

What needs improvement?

There are quite a few features that are not available in the Community Edition. Having more of these features brought into the platform would be helpful.

Support from KNIME could be enhanced, although the community support is great.

I have been working with KNIME for between three and four years.

It has been stable for a while, since the release of version 4. However, between version 2 and version 3, it was quite unstable. The stability has improved.

The support for KNIME is good, although it comes from the community rather than from KNIME itself.

The initial setup is quite simple, especially if you have already worked on other tools.

The deployment can be completed within a couple of hours, including the setup of permissions and other configurations.

There is a Community Edition and paid versions available.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is looking for a new data science platform, KNIME is a product that I can recommend.

Download our free KNIME Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.