IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

KeyedIn Projects OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Project Portfolio Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is KeyedIn Projects?
Whether you are new to project management or a seasoned professional. KeyedIn Projects provides a quick and easy to use out-of-the-box project management solution that can help your business to: Standardize Task Management - Improve Project Delivery - Facilitate Team Collaboration - Deliver Projects on Time & On Budget - Optimize Resource Deployment - Analyze Project Progress - Control Expenditure - Reduce Risk - Resolve Project Issues - Reduce Billing Cycles - Improve Project Status Reporting.
KeyedIn Projects Customers
Encompass Solutions, Alliance Healthcare, City and Guilds, MavenWire, NashTech Software, Nickelfish
KeyedIn Projects Video

Archived KeyedIn Projects Reviews (more than two years old)

Operations Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It streamlined our project management and resource management process.

What is most valuable?

KeyedIn has been very valuable in helping us streamline our process here in terms of project management and resource management. The reporting capability has helped us get much more insights into our financial data internally. In terms of managing the team, it's really helped manage our workflow much better. I'm able to forecast resources better and level resources accordingly, much better than I did in the past. KeyedIn is a new platform to Motista, to my company. They never had a project management platform before. It's really helped, provide a lot more efficiencies in terms of how they're managing projects.

How has it helped my organization?

An example would be, prior to me even starting here, before KeyedIn. They would compile reports with Excel and it could take 3-4 days for them to do that. We do a lot of reporting in terms of our actual hours versus estimated and allocated hours. We also do quite a bit of reporting in terms of cost and just the functionality in terms of the ability to filter and generate these reports. We're able to generate these reports in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes. We went from three days to roughly 10 to 15 minutes. We just have more insights into the data. We're able to look at data differently. I have bit widgets that I built out in the analytic section of KeyedIn, that we also use. The widgets give you a higher level view of the data; resourcing data, financial data and then the reports. We generate reports based off the widgets to get more depth in terms of our reporting. Another example: They never had project plans that they built out, so task management was very poor. It was very inefficient. They weren't leveling resources accordingly, so people were either under-allocated or over-allocated each day and they weren't recognizing that, so it was creating a lot of bottlenecks in terms of being able to meet deadlines because resources weren't allocated properly. KeyedIn allows me to look at all the projects that we have and our workflow; look at resources on a daily basis to determine who's under- and who's over-allocated and then I'm able to reprioritize projects into: Do we need to extend the project another week in order to meet the deadline? Just a lot more insights that they didn't have in the past. In the past, they would miss deadlines, just because we weren't able to forecast properly and with our business, we have a lot of new work that tends to come in each week. It helps us forecast new work coming down and we're able to look at our resources; be more proactive in how we're managing our resources so that we don't run into resource conflicts or bottlenecks.

What needs improvement?

I think the functionality with the reporting capability can be improved and I know there's a new version of KeyedIn coming out. I haven't had the opportunity yet to look at the new version, but I would say that reporting is actually one are for improvement. The way their functionality is set could be improved because, basically, what it does is: you can pull a resourcing report and you can pull a financial report, and it seems like they pull from different databases. You're not always able to compile all the data into one report. You have to pull separate reports to look at different data. That's one thing that I found that has been kind of hard with KeyedIn, because you can't view all the data you want into one report. It's not that flexible. You have to work with two separate reports in order to come to look at the data that you want. I would say that's one area for improvement: You're just not able to filter all the same data into one report. I'm also looking for integration here. Integration with, for example, a BI platform. We're implementing a BI platform here. I know that in KeyedIn, there's no real data connector that connects straight – although you can still connect via API - but KeyedIn does not have a data connector right now. I talk to the rep each week and that's something that I think would be a big win for KeyedIn. If it had a data connector already, it would be easier to integrate with other platforms.

I have not encountered any stability issues. The only issues we've had are related to when we integrate KeyedIn with our financial app, Intact, and there are issues sometimes with bugs. There are bugs that might come up because of the API between both apps and it’s not working properly. I would say that's the only issue I've had in terms of stability itself within KeyedIn. I've been okay there. It's very stable.
Project Portfolio Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about KeyedIn Solutions, Broadcom, Microsoft and others in Project Portfolio Management. Updated: June 2022.
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven’t really scaled it yet. We're going to integrate with Salesforce, so we can streamline our opportunity pipeline process with project management. I think we definitely have room to grow still with KeyedIn, so scalability is not an issue.

Customer Service: KeyedIn scores really high in customer service. I work with the account rep, Leanne, every week. I wouldn't consider her technical support, even though she is very technical and can handle a lot of my questions. I think Leanne's been an exceptional account rep. What we do is, we have an agenda each week of things that we want to go over. There's also functionality that I want to continue to learn. I'm continuing to evolve the platform here. I think it's someone who can also share our vision as a company, of wherever we're trying to go. Then, how does that apply to KeyedIn and how can they help us get there. Automation is another piece that we're working on in terms of our process here and automating a lot of different parts of our process. Leanne's been very helpful with that. That's a big thing with me, is someone who can not only help me learn the platform technically, but who can also understand our vision of where we want to go and how KeyedIn can help us get there. Technical Support: I haven't reached out to the technical support team yet. I've had calls with Kevin who is a developer. He has development background that I talked to in the past. Between Leanne and Kevin, they resolved all my questions that I ever had. I never had a problem with that.

I started here in January and the switch from Excel to KeyedIn was decided prior to me starting here. They had already purchased the platform. It just wasn't implemented with the company yet. I wasn't involved in the decision-making process. I came in and KeyedIn was already the choice.

I thought initial setup was pretty straightforward. I didn't have any issues. I trained the team. I haven't had any issues. It's been pretty straightforward.

I came in and finished the testing. They were in testing. I went ahead and I wrapped that up and then we implemented the platform here. I took the lead on that and I've been the main individual here who's in charge of maintenance of the platform.

I think it's definitely better than other platforms I've used. I used Workamajig and Agency at prior to here and I felt like KeyedIn is much better; much more advanced than Workamajig was. I’ve also used a custom Oracle solution, and Microsoft Project, which isn't a full-fledged platform, but I've used that. KeyedIn is one of the better ones I've worked with all around. I really like KeyedIn in terms of resourcing. It helps us. I like their resourcing functionality. I think it's one of the better tools I've used. It's just the accuracy and the ability to update resources and get insight is just better. I would definitely rate it above most platforms I've worked with. I've researched a lot of other platforms that I think are very strong: Clarizen, AtTask, Mavenlink, LiquidPlanner. I've researched those four that, I've done demos on them and I think they match up with KeyedIn in a lot of ways as well. I think some of those are stronger in some areas, but those are the four that come to mind that I've liked in the past. KeyedIn is better than the ones I've used, but those four match up with KeyedIn in a lot of ways. I just haven't used them in a professional setting. I've used them just for demos and testing when we were doing research on other platforms. I've actually recommended some of those. Workamajig wasn't my first choice. It was just the choice of the company that I worked at.

What other advice do I have?

What I did here in testing is focus on the different modules that we were going roll out. Put together a plan for that first six months to a year, because you're going to roll out different parts of the module. You're not going to roll out everything at first, across the company. Figure out what the goals are and the objectives of the company in terms of the platform and then just put together a plan in terms of how to test each module that you want to roll out first. Put timing behind it. I did that for each quarter; what I want to focus on each quarter with the platform. It's been really helpful in terms of how we would roll it out. Then, obviously, define goals: What are some weaknesses and areas that you want to improve, be more efficient with in terms of process? I think having that, a clear vision there, is very helpful because without that, you're implementing a platform and using it, but not evolving it. I think keeping in mind how to evolve the platform and to continue to help the company grow and be more efficient is very key. I also think about the effective way of onboarding your employees. I think that's also key. I've been involved with it here and at previous companies in terms of training and onboarding other project managers and producers to use a platform like this. I think that's very, very key because the learning curve never stops. That's something that is beneficial to the company when everybody is continuing to learn the platform and evolve.
Principal with 51-200 employees
It provides a manager with real-time visibility of a portfolio of projects, but your security settings may unnecessarily complicate the system administration.

What is most valuable?

Online access, custom reports, ability to limit access.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides a manager with real time visibility of a portfolio of projects.

What needs improvement?

Simplifying the system administration function. Enabling single sign-on.

3 years

You just need to think carefully through the security settings you wish to have. If you are overly ambitious then you can unnecessarily complicate the system administration.

No but you do have to pay for licences as you add more people.

Very good - Always there when you need it (especially in UK).

Very good - Responsive.

Yes, Tenrox but KeyedIn is a broader and better solution.

It was more complicated than it needed to be, but with a KeyedIn implementation manager it was not an issue.

Used an in-house team supported by vendor's implementation manager - I strongly suggest this as an optimal way forward.

We do not evaluate the ROI - It is a practical and useful tool which benefits both us and our clients.

Ensure licence costs are reasonable by benchmarking with comparable providers. Do keep an eye on day rates for consultancy support as they can be quite high.

Yes, Project Place, Tenrox, and various others.

What other advice do I have?

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I use KeyedIn for all the employees in my organisation but as we are a consultancy we also advocate the use of KeyedIn to our clients. We are not a reseller of the KeyedIn software. We consult clients on their requirements and customise the underlying KeyedIn software so that it is of optimal use to our clients from a project management perspective within a procurement context.
Download our free Project Portfolio Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about KeyedIn Solutions, Broadcom, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: June 2022