IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Kerio Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Kerio Control is #2 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software and #9 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Kerio Control an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Kerio Control is most commonly compared to pfSense: Kerio Control vs pfSense. Kerio Control is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 40% of all views.
Kerio Control Buyer's Guide

Download the Kerio Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Kerio Control?

Kerio Control is a popular security product for small and medium-sized businesses. It is a next-generation firewall that provides unified threat management without complexity. Kerio Control provides advanced anti-virus protection and industry-leading web and content application filtering, and has a secure VPN.

With Kerio Control you can:

• Preserve the integrity of your network.
  • Manage bandwidth to streamline traffic flows.
  • Improve productivity with filtering capabilities.

Kerio Control Features

Some of Kerio Control’s most valuable features include:

High availability, deployment flexibility, deep packet inspection, advanced routing, usage reporting, quick administering, intrusion detection and prevention (IPS), gateway anti-virus, VPN, web and content application filtering, and centralized administration with MyKerio.

Kerio Control Benefits

• Eliminate downtime risks: Because Kerio Control offers high availability and failover protection, you can eliminate the risk and cost of connectivity or threat protection downtime.

• Detailed reports: Kerio Control makes it easy to view individual users’ internet activity through detailed reports.

• Traffic monitoring: Traffic monitoring allows you to manage bandwidth and makes it possible for you to control access to streaming video and peer-to-peer networks.

• Server protection: Using Kerio Control’s advanced networking routing and deep packet inspection, you can protect servers.

• Easily create policies: With Kerio Control, you can create both inbound and outbound traffic policies, and can also restrict communication by specific URLs, applications, traffic type, content category, or even time of day.

• Snort-based analysis: Kerio Control gives you the ability to add a transparent layer of intrusion prevention with snort-based analysis along with a database of rule and blacklisted IP addresses that is regularly refreshed.

• Optionally integrated anti-virus: WIth this feature, you can prevent viruses, Trojans, or spyware from entering your networks.

Reviews from Real Users

Here is some feedback from some of our users who are currently using the solution:

PeerSpot user Brian C., Senior Technology Specialist, VP at Unified Technology Solutions, writes "It is very comprehensive and simple. It has all the active protections. It's updated. We love that you can set how often it is updated so you can work on what is right for you. A large company with a lot of bandwidth can update the virus definitions and security definitions hourly, if they want. A smaller site that's remote, where maybe updating the definitions will eat into the bandwidth, we can schedule those more to go later at night. It's very flexible and works for us in all types of situations. This is great because then we don't have to learn seven different products to be able to work with seven different scenarios."

Andy D., IT Manager at Flare Technologies, praises how easy it is to use and says, "One thing we use quite a lot, as well, is the DHCP Server, because we do a lot of work where all our devices need to have static IP addresses. Rather than going around and configuring every box, we do it all through DHCP reservations. It's easier. We've got a record of it. We can manipulate it if we need to change something or change some hardware. It's all easy. Even guys who are not used to using it can pick it up quite quickly."

Kerio Control Customers

Triton Technical, McDonald's

Kerio Control Video

Archived Kerio Control Reviews (more than two years old)

President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Allows me to use a VPN and access my data directly from a laptop when I'm out in the field
  • "Instead of using a cloud-based product for accessing information, and putting my data at risk in the cloud and in someone else's hands, it has allowed me to use a VPN and access my data directly from a laptop when I am out in the field. That has made my life a lot easier, where I'm able to access any information I need to be able access, basically on demand, with an Internet connection. That alone has been great."
  • "The comprehensiveness of the security features could be improved upon. However, for the most part, it is pretty good. They could add more logs. I would like to see more detailed reporting, custom reporting from the logs, and more of a streamlined interface for certain aspects."

What is our primary use case?

• Firewall
  • Security
  • VPN

I use it both within my company and with its clients. I work with Windows Servers, small to medium-sized businesses, and under 100 users.

For product versions, we use the 1100 and 1300 series along with NG100, NG300, and NG500.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has increased the number of VPN clients extended to those outside my environment by 30 percent.

My clients are pretty lax about the content filter, but it works well. For the most part, they want to keep their employees pretty happy. Therefore, they are not too strict about what they are viewing. Obviously, they don't want them surfing any adult sites or anything like that. But, for the most part, they do allow shopping at work and things like that. They're more relaxed about it, to a certain degree.

What is most valuable?

The VPN and security are the most valuable features. In the current climate, with people working more remotely, it is nice to have a solution that is flexible and provides multiple features, such as, being a firewall and VPN.

The antivirus works pretty well.

What needs improvement?

The comprehensiveness of the security features could be improved upon. However, for the most part, it is pretty good. They could add more logs. I would like to see more detailed reporting, custom reporting from the logs, and more of a streamlined interface for certain aspects.

The malware features could be improved. In the large systems, it could use a better alert system, as far as things happening. I get a lot more information from Kerio Connect, as far as alerts, but not so many through the Control products.

It's pretty easy to use. Although, the interface could be improved upon. Certain settings are thin to a certain degree, whereas they should be put more to the forefront and right in front of your face. I would give it a seven out of a 10 for its ease of use.

Kerio Control
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Kerio Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Almost a decade.

It's pretty stable. I don't have too many complaints about the product.

I'm a sole proprietor. I don't have any employees, so it's just me.

I deal mostly with small businesses, so it scales well for that.

When GFI first took over, there were issues. There were issues contacting them. Even recently, there have been some issues with the MyKerio site. I was getting false notifications, and that basically took a month to resolve, which I thought was wrong in today's environment. I rely on notifications, and it was giving me false notifications. I had no idea if systems were down or not, so I was a bit disappointed.

I have used a couple of other brands, like SonicWall, but not in a long time.

Kerio Control has more flexibility, e.g., VPN with the Kerio Control Boxes. Though, some of the other products do have better reporting.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward and intuitive. I just need to have some of the information of my clients in front of me. The only thing would be to tweak bug filters and content filters a bit, depending upon your client requirements. However, getting it up and running, it's pretty straightforward.

There are wizards. You can just follow the wizard, pay attention, and be all right.

I haven't used all the features yet, e.g., I still don't integrate Active Directory.

I use the Kerio Control Boxes. So, I receive it, test it, register it, and update it, then take it out to the client, reconfigure it, and tweak it. This takes three hours.

The solution has saved time for me. It saves me five or six hours a month, where I would have to go run back and forth between clients. If I'm out in the field, I would have to run back to the office to get something or check something. Therefore, it has saved time for me while being onsite and having to access information that I need quickly. For the most part, the security has been good. I haven't had too many issues. Though, the reporting could be better, so I can see specific data on their systems.

I've used them for VPN tunnels to connect offices. For one of my clients, the return on investment is rather good, because there are software products out there that charge on a yearly basis for subscriptions. Using the Kerio Control VPN, there are no yearly subscriptions. So, it has saved them money.

It gives us a lot. It does prove to be a very robust product for the cost.

The yearly maintenance fee is a bit high for the Kerio Control Boxes. The end of life for the devices is kind of short. It seems like they're making you upgrade within a short period of time. They should at least allow five years, but it seems like they are changing their end of life to be shorter to generate revenue.

What other advice do I have?

The solution’s firewall and intrusion detection features are average. They're not spectacular, but they do the job. For the price point though, it's very good.

The solution is pretty reliable. It is flexible, e.g., if you have an old workstation, you can turn that into a Kerio Control Box, which is nice. I'll continue using them. However, I believe that their end of life and maintenance fees could be a little more flexible, as far as the cost of the maintenance fee and the length of the lifecycle of these devices.

I would give the solution an eight out of 10.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner.
IT Support at Rural Computer Consultants, Inc
Content filtering and VPN simplicity are second to none
  • "The ease of use in the GUI itself is the most valuable feature. The GUI is really the best part of it. We like the traffic rules so we can control who can get to what. It's easy to determine the flow of the traffic itself so we aren't having to guess through command lines and reading out basically command-driven output. It's just a very easy-to-use interface. The interface is the best part of the product."
  • "The security part of the software, like virus scanning, website, traffic monitoring, things like that, can take a beating on the appliance. And when there's a lot of things going on, the system can get bogged down. The actual security functionality of it needs a little bit more work, which I believe they are remedying or attempting to remedy at this time, but that's the downfall at this time."

What is our primary use case?

We have over 50 office staff that we use Kerio Control to protect, monitor web traffic, and cloud-host environments. We have a VPN tunnel from outside vendors that we keep connected to our environment and we use it as a switching device between some of our hardware in the hosting environment. We also use it for the security function.

Our primary use case is for intrusion prevention from attackers, from wherever they may be. And also for doing the quality of service because we have a lot of remote users, especially during this pandemic. We can control the quality of service with phones and network devices, as well as the antivirus scanning. We use the whole gamut of pretty much everything that Kerio has to offer.

We're still a small company but we are pushing what the software is currently able to handle, while it seems to be geared towards small-medium business.

How has it helped my organization?

Content filtering used to be that you had to block specific websites that you didn't want somebody to access, or you had to write a specific rule to say that something is accessible or not accessible. We can apply Kerio-provided categories and rules without having to define large scopes of protocols or malicious websites. That part of it has come a long way in the last five to ten years.

The GUI is the best part of the product. If another team member needs to get in there to do something, it's a really quick click and it's done. There's no learning through command-line tools.

On an annual basis, we save not just hundreds of hours but also labor costs. Over the life of the product, I'm sure it's in the tens of thousands of hours because we don't need an inhouse specialist in Kerio technology.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use in the GUI itself is the most valuable feature. We like the traffic rules so we can control who has access. It's easy to determine the flow of the traffic itself so we don't have to educate on command lines and reading out command-driven output. It's a very easy-to-use interface.

The comprehensiveness of the security features is fairly good. There have been some suggestions that we've made to the GFI team that we would like to see for performance. As our company grows, we need Kerio to grow with us, and so we've suggested some ideas on making the Kerio Control appliance perform better for more users because it can become sluggish under heavy loads.

In terms of security features, Kerio gives us most of what we need. There are some granular items that we would find more useful when we want to stop a particular region from access.

The firewall and intrusion detection features are really good, it just needs a little bit more fine-tuning.

The content filtering and VPN features are great. The vpn client is ssl based, so no key cipher matching is required when setting up without information in front of you.

What needs improvement?

The security part of the software, like virus scanning, website, traffic monitoring, things like that, can take a toll on performance. The actual security functionality of it needs a little bit more work, which I believe they are remedying or attempting to remedy at this time, but that's the downfall at this time; it is currently running on an end of life linux kernel.

I personally have been using Kerio Control for 13 years but it's been at my company for close to 20 years.

The stability has actually improved quite a bit. There were some bugs found in previous versions up until about last spring, and then they concentrated on fixing some of the issues causing us some problems. As of the last update, it's very stable.

It's not very scalable when you start to get into the hundreds to thousands of users because the performance of all of the functionality isn't quite there yet. We're hoping that's remedied with some updates coming down the line.

Kerio is pretty much the backbone of everything that we do. Keeping all of our customers connected to us, keeping our staff safe online, and getting our staff into our cloud environment.

The GFI technical support can be very time-consuming to get down to the root of the problem, but they are very helpful when you do have an issue. It just takes some time to get to it. It sometimes can be communication that's the issue. Sometimes it can be the complexity of the problem.

It doesn't seem to be a lack of knowledge on the technical support side of things. Some of it comes down to whether the product can currently do what we needed to do or not. We were trying to determine if there was something that we could do to get better performance out of the appliance, and the response from the GFI support team was that it wasn't able to do some of the things that we wanted it to do, but it was something that they were looking at with rewriting some of the functionality. There is the possibility that some of those can be overcome easier.

I did not have any experience with another similar solution. In fact, I had never heard of Kerio until I started at my company, primarily because Kerio was fairly small at the time. They were based out of California at the time. They were a small company and generally fit into the 100-users-or-less environment. When you would hear about other vendors, they generally ran in the thousands to tens of thousands of users and you just didn't hear about Kerio in that product line.

We take other solutions into consideration based on the growth needs that we have. As our cloud environment gets larger, if the Kerio technology is not able to keep up, that's always under consideration.

The process was pretty straightforward. Something that I expected to take days to weeks took about two or three hours.

Network security should not be planned around providing a return on your dollar in terms of a payback in the administration of the process. It should be planned around providing a level of comfort to management that intruders are being kept out of the network, errors and omissions are being kept to an acceptable level of risk.

Price-wise, it's very affordable. Whether you're a smaller or larger business, whether you're five users or a couple of hundred users, the pricing is very fair. The performance of it is what determines how you want to license it because you can purchase a Kerio appliance. We try to make use out of everything because we like to keep it in one place. It has fit our business size and needs.

Some of the main differences between the other solutions and Kerio is that Kerio has made their subscription service fairly universal. You get pretty much everything with one subscription. With some of the other vendors, you have to subscribe to each module that you want to use. On the other side of it, other firewall vendors tend to be able to handle in the millions of connections, hundreds of thousands to millions. And we see some of those limitations with the Kerio appliance because of some of the aging architecture of it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to follow the hardware requirements of Kerio and make sure the equipment that you have can run the connections for the number of users that you intend to run and are being planned out to be successful. Working with the Kerio team to determine your needs works out very well.

Not all firewalls have to be difficult to learn. Kerio has made it a really easy-to-use product.

Kerio Control
July 2022
620,600 professionals have used our research since 2012.
General Manager at Gays Hops-n-Schnapps
Using the VPN it's like I'm sitting in our store; provides seamless connectivity
  • "I love the VPN that we set up. A few of us have it on our computers so that if we leave, we can still access the stores. And we can work from home if needed. When I sign into that Kerio VPN, it links me like I'm sitting in the store. It puts me in our secure network so that I can sign on to each individual store and I can run numbers... If I have to work from home, it's so much faster than the way we used to do it."
  • "When we did our last update, we had some trouble with the initial syncing process to get our messaging to go through. But we were also moving a store and a lot was changing during that process. I don't think it was on Kerio's end. It just coincided with the update. Once we got our third-party IT guy involved it was resolved very quickly."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Kerio Control for the phone systems. We use it like a VPN network so that I and a couple other guys can take our computers home and work from home. That's a great feature. We love that because you can sign in at home and be like you're in the store.

What is most valuable?

We have five locations and, for the person who controls it we have it set up in our main office. The ease of access, of being able to change a voice message, it links to that. The person who controls it can approve it and then she just plays it. That's great for when we have to do a holiday message or special events are happening. We love that feature.

I love the VPN that we set up. A few of us have it on our computers so that if we leave, we can still access the stores. And we can work from home if needed. When I sign into that Kerio VPN, it links me like I'm sitting in the store. It puts me in our secure network so that I can sign on to each individual store and I can run numbers. We work through ICS Vision for our stores. We have a corporate plus five stores and it lets me link to all that. If I have to work from home, it's so much faster than the way we used to do it. It saves me a couple hours of each time I use it from home. It also saves me from having to drive in.

It's the overall ease of everything. It seems to have pretty seamless connectivity for linking our stores.

Also, the firewall and intrusion detection features seem to keep people out of our servers. I know it's a little bit of a process to try to link something new into it because the firewall is very secure, but we haven't had any issues with malware attacks on our end so it must be stopping them.

What needs improvement?

We haven't really had any major issues. But when we did our last update, we had some trouble with the initial syncing process to get our messaging to go through. But we were also moving a store and a lot was changing during that process. I don't think it was on Kerio's end. It just coincided with the update. Once we got our third-party IT guy involved it was resolved very quickly.

We have been using Kerio Control for about six years.

The stability has been fine. We have no concerns or complaints.

In terms of increasing usage, that's going to end up being discussed in a meeting with our IT guy to see what capabilities it has, how we could expand it, how we could grow with it, and how it could help out day-to-day business.

I've been with the company a little over three years now, but when I came in as general manager it was already in use. The upgrade is the closest that I've been to a deployment.

From start to finish, when doing the upgrade, we were back up in an hour, including the issue we had. Our IT guy let us know what was going on and that there was a series of events he had to do and he did them and we were good to go.

From the old way we used to do things, it's night and day. Before the company brought this on, it was pretty old-school in how it did its phone systems and messaging. The efficiency has doubled, but the company also used to use answering machines way back when.

I've never seen any additional costs incurred or involved, other than the initial.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson from using Kerio Control is the untapped potential there is to link to everything and streamline our business. That's really what it's about for us. Obviously, there's more out there for us to do with it.

As an SMB, Kerio Control is a good fit for our environment. It serves what we need done. I would recommend it for a smaller business because the ease of use and the access it allows us are great.

Robert Allino - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at L3GNL LLC
Notifies me whenever there's a problem so we don't have to constantly watch the screen
  • "The comprehensiveness of the security features that Kerio Control provides us with is good. Before GFI had it, they would have more updates. The updates have been slower, but I like the things that they keep adding like the ability to block by country. I use pretty much every feature."
  • "I can no longer renew my subscription directly with GFI but we have to go through third-party resellers like CDW. The first time I did it with CDW. I went to CDW and it was almost like they didn't even know anything. They didn't know what package I was supposed to get. Then after I got it, it took almost five days to get everything working."

What is our primary use case?

I use Kerio Control is several different places. I use it at home. I also have a firewall at my grocery store. I have a server on the internet that uses Kerio Connect, and I have Kerio Control in front of it.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization because I am able to back the mail server through the tunnel to my house. All the video cameras at the store get copied and backed up to my house as well. For example, if I had a break-in and someone took the video server, I would still have copies of all the videos.

Kerio has saved time for those who manage security. It notifies me whenever there's a problem or when something goes wrong so we don't have to constantly watch the screen. It saves us 20 to 30 man-hours a week.

What is most valuable?

The custom firewalling is pretty intuitive. You don't have to sit there and learn a new language or anything like that. You can just block this, open that, allow this, just allow that. With a lot of firewalls nowadays, you have to know a language. You have to sit there at the keyboard and type in special commands, and those commands are not used anywhere, just for that particular brand of firewall. Connecting the two up in two different locations for a tunnel is easy.

Kerio Control gives us everything in one solution.

The firewall and intrusion detection features are pretty good. I haven't had an issue that I know of. I hope no one's gotten any. I think it's good.

I also like the malware and antivirus features. It's sitting in front of my email server and the email server has antivirus too. The firewall catches it before the email server even catches it, so they work pretty well.

I like the VPN but I don't use content filtering that much. It works pretty well but a lot of times kids can get around that kind of stuff. I don't have kids that age anymore, so I don't have to worry about it. I don't use the content filtering that much.

Kerio is easy to use. If you don't know tech, you can't just get up and do it. Nothing can be that easy, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do it. `

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I have a problem with is not so much the product itself, but back when Kerio had it, I could call up Kerio or send an email and do an upgrade online. I could renew my subscription online. But now, I have to go through a third-party, and it seems clumsy.

I can no longer renew my subscription directly with GFI but we have to go through third-party resellers like CDW. The first time I did it with CDW. I went to CDW and it was almost like they didn't even know anything. They didn't know what package I was supposed to get. Then after I got it, it took almost five days to get everything working. I used to be able to go to Kerio's website and then add the stuff to my cart, use my credit card, and it would bill me. Everything would be working in a few minutes. But now, if your subscription is getting ready to expire, you better give it a week or two.

I have been using Kerio Control since the late nineties when it was called WinRoute Firewall.

The stability is really good. I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I'm not a large enterprise, so I don't know how well it scales. But I imagine if you were to throw bigger hardware at it, it would scale really well.

I'm the owner, so nobody else touches Kerio except for me. Everybody else uses it as part of their job. They don't really know it's there.

My company is small-sized and Kerio is good for it. It's good for small and medium businesses. I've never used it on a large or an extra-large enterprise, so I couldn't give my opinion on that. I would imagine it could, I just don't have any experience.

I haven't used GFI, but back when Kerio had it, they were very good.

They were very responsive. A lot of times you call the company tech support and they want to treat you like you don't know what you're doing. It's a "Is the power plugged into the wall" kind of a thing. They're very fast to understand that it's not the user that they're talking to on the phone. That the user they're talking to on the phone knows what they're doing to an extent and needs some extra help. It saves time. But I haven't had to call GFI yet, other than when my key wasn't working. It was an email. When I renewed my subscription, the keys didn't update. They had a problem with their update process, so the person had to go and manually update all my subscriptions. It took a few days.

At first, they didn't understand, because they said it's just automatic. Which it's supposed to be. The next day I told them that it didn't update. Then finally looked and they did one subscription, and then I told them that my other subscriptions didn't update.

At first, I was supposed to read a manual on how to do it. But I was doing everything that was shown, it just that their process behind the scene wasn't working. It's the online thing, so it was updated. However, my server wouldn't get the notification that it was updated. They thought I was not doing the website properly because they would tell me to go to the website and hit update. It first started as if I was a user that didn't know how to do anything and then they realized we had a problem. I fixed it. It should have been a lot faster.

I did try out another solution called Unify but it wouldn't work very well. I couldn't get the VPN tunneling to work. The GUI was not intuitive and it was all over the place. Things were not all in the same spot.

I actually bought several of them. I was going to go away from Kerio. I didn't like the way Unify worked. You had to have a gateway key in order for it to work. You took two devices to make one device work. I ended up scrapping that project and kept Kerio.

For the initial setup, it walks you through a wizard. I've just never used that. But the wizard can set up a very basic bare bones, don't let anything in kind of a setup, which works. My setup is more complex. I have VPNs and tunnels. Any IP on my network has to be logged in, in order to get out. Mine is more of a complex setup. The ease of setup is pretty easy if you use the wizard. It just asks you a few questions and that's it. It's a bit more complex when you do it yourself.

The deployment took a couple of hours.

I have seen ROI. All the attacks, malware, and viruses that have been stopped are nonstop. The people out there are attacking all the time. It's nonstop, it never stops.

We have peace of mind that our solution stops all those attacks.

Get the GFI unlimited, unless you're only going to have it at one spot. The pricing for the unlimited is a pretty good deal.

I looked into Palo Alto, that had a lot of features and everything else. But when I tried to contact them to get a price, they didn't give me the time of day. They wouldn't even return my call. At the time I was a director for a very large company and they still ignored me.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the person that's doing it knows what they're doing. If you're not getting overly complicated, pretty much anybody can do it. But if you're going to get complex, you'll need to have somebody that knows their way around or else you might make yourself vulnerable.

If you have a tunnel and you have to change certificates because they expired, you do it in the right order, or else you might have to travel long ways to accept the key on the other side. If you create a new key for the tunnel and apply it, the tunnel is down until the other side accepts the key. If going through the tunnel was your only way there, then you're now traveling unnecessarily or long ways. Luckily for me, it was not too far away. But if you have city to city and you have no one on the other end that has the ability to log in and accept the key, then you're going there.

I would rate Kerio Control an eight out of ten.

I haven't had a lot of experience with the new owners and I'm worried that they're going to sunset it or not give it the attention it needs. That's just my thought, I have no proof or anything like that.

Hugo Van Putten - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Multi Level Software
Gives me the ability to map which ports to allow in and out of the VPN
  • "I want to have access to my computer from the outside and Kerio Control plays a role because it has a VPN... It is more reliable because it's a smaller group of computers to target for hackers and the like. The VPN works very well. I use it to work remotely very easily and exchange information, both to and from the location where it's deployed, and there have been no problems there."
  • "I would like to be able to automatically send email from Kerio Control and have it tell me what my external IPs are, because on one of my lines I have a fixed IP address and on the other it is variable. If there were a permanent way for me to figure out, "Okay, my current external VPN and my firm IP is this," it would help. I need to know the IP address to connect with the VPN and, at the moment, one of the lines sometimes changes its IP address without me knowing it. It's a hassle to figure out what it is."

What is our primary use case?

I use Kerio Control because it is one of the few firewalls which allows easy failover from two separate internet providers. It also has virus protection built-in. I use it to have reliable access to the internet, which is virus-free and which fails over if one of my internet providers drops — and they do sometimes when it rains. Those were the reasons I wanted Kerio Control. And it just works; provides internet.

We are a very small company, and started with two users. We have now four users who use it on and off. There are nine or 10 computers. I, myself have three or four computers working at the same time. I'm not really dependent on cloud, but I use internet very much in a lot of situations.

It's deployed onsite but as a virtual machine in a Windows server.

How has it helped my organization?

Being an SMB, Kerio Control is nice-to-have. It fulfills my needs completely.

It allows the users I have to use email without any problem, without their having to know anything about the fact that there is a firewall which protects them in different ways. I might spend an hour per month on maintenance of the Kerio system. So it's very transparent and very hidden. The best thing is the fact that nobody notices it.

It has helped me save time. It allows me to get on with my main work, without spending any time on security or worrying about threats to the data I have. Without it, I would have lost a lot of time. A long time ago, I spent a lot of time cleaning computers, removing viruses, etc. That has all gone away since I have had this set up, as part of a three-layer defense.

The failover has no effect on security. It only affects the availability. There used to be a situation where I had two internet providers with different speeds. If my main provider was down, it would be backed up by the other and I wouldn't notice that it was a little slower, and I wouldn't notice that one of my internet providers was unavailable. This guarantees that I always have internet availability. We had some technical problems with one of the lines which was very sensitive to rain — which sounds weird, but okay. And this setup allowed me to not think about it anymore. Since then, internet speeds have grown and at the moment it's not a big issue, but I'm sure that both of the providers drop once a year for a day. But I don't notice it, and that's very important for me.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features include

• being able to attach to two different internet providers
  • the ability to map which ports you will allow in and out of the VPN, which is built-in
  • the fact that it reliably works without any attention.

I want to have access to my computer from the outside and Kerio Control plays a role because it has a VPN. This VPN is different from most other VPNs, although they have used a standard version. It is more reliable because it's a smaller group of computers to target for hackers and the like. The VPN works very well. I use it to work remotely very easily and exchange information, both to and from the location where it's deployed, and there have been no problems there.

I have one or two VPN clients, at most, that are active at one time, so it's there if needed when I'm not working at this location. It helps me a lot to have a reliable VPN client. I have no performance issues when working through VPN.

Kerio Control also has some authorizations so I am able to block internet access for certain hours for certain people.

Overall, the security features are adequate. They do what I need. I don't have much experience with anything else, so I can't compare, but they completely solved my problems.

The firewall and intrusion detection features don't hinder me, and I haven't had any attacks, as far as I can see. I want a firewall to be unobtrusive. I don't want to notice it's there. It should just do its work and protect me and not hinder me when doing real work, and that's what it does. It's very good because it shouldn't be noticed, and it's good at not being noticed and doing its work.

Overall, I don't have any problem using Kerio Control. For me, it's very easy, but I've been working in software for some 50 years.

What needs improvement?

It might also be interesting to have a GFI-approved, Docker-containerized version of the Kerio Control system.

I have been using Kerio Control for more than 10 years.

I don't remember any glitches. I haven't had problems with it for a very long time. But I use it very specifically for a certain purpose and that works fine.

It's very hard for me to give a correct estimate of the scalability, since a lot of overhead in my situation is caused by the fact that I run it in a virtual machine. That means the bandwidth which it can process, which would be scalable, is downgraded because it's in a virtual machine. That's not Kerio's fault.

I have no plans to increase the usage in the future. For me, it's adequate because I have a lot of leeway. I have enough bandwidth available to fulfill my needs.

The problems I've had with Kerio, when I wanted to change something, have always been solved by consulting the Knowledge Base.

We are located in Holland and there is supposed to be Dutch tech support, and there is an American tech support, as far as I know. The bad thing about the American tech support is that reaching them by phone is difficult and by mail there's a certain turnaround. So, I'd rather rely on the Knowledge Base so that I'm not really dependent on the person on the other side.

They have an extensive Knowledge Base and, if you can't find something there, you can check the internet and there's enough available.

I switched because I wanted something which had the possibility to handle two different internet providers, two network cards, and do load switching and load balancing. The other solution I used didn't have that.

The initial setup is easy. I know what I want to configure so it's easy, no problem at all.

The biggest problem I have is using it as a container on a virtual machine. You have to connect your hardware network cards to the internal virtual machine. That's a problem that Kerio won't be able to solve because it's the environment I have to create to let Kerio work in the way I work, and that is probably different than most users. But if you use it on a simple PC, it's no problem at all.

I reinstalled it recently and it took me about half an hour, and part of that was getting backups right, etc.

As for an implementation strategy, I changed the system my Kerio was installed on, so I first did a trial-install to figure out if everything worked. After that, when I did the actual production install, it was done very fast because I had tried it out before.

It does its job. Converted into hours, it doesn't cost more than five hours per year to pay the price for the 10 users I have. That's a good deal for me.

Having good internet access is a very large requirement for me to do my work. Internet is one of the basic tools I have and I need a firewall. Your internet provider will give you a box that has a simple firewall in it, but that doesn't suffice for me. I need something like this and it's not an option for me not to buy a product like this. I'm really not even thinking of return on investment. If I don't have something like this, I just can't work. It's a basic necessity.

I don't think it's expensive. I'd recommend it to others.

I haven't evaluated any other options. I started using Kerio Control and it was sufficient. I haven't spent any time looking at alternatives. I've seen constant improvements in Kerio; they actively enhance the product. That's a good sign for me. I also use the GFI mail server and I prefer to use one company for my tools.

What other advice do I have?

My general advice is always: Read the manual, check your hardware and see if you have everything you need, and if it will suit your needs.

It's hard for me to assess its malware and antivirus protection because Kerio is one part of a three-part defense against malware and antivirus. I'm not sure which part picks up which problem. My philosophy is that no single protocol picks up all the problems, so if you have several of them, you'll fight the virus or malware at some point. That's why I have three different tools with different focus points, and together they keep me safe. Malwarebytes specializes more in malware, ESET is a normal desktop antivirus system, and this system is a general anti-malware and antivirus system of another type. They compliment each other.

I have an internet speed of 200 megabits per second, and 15 might be enough. So the only point I don't know about Kerio is whether it takes a lot of performance out of the maximum you could get if you didn't have a firewall.

Overall, I would give it a nine out of ten, but with the comment that I haven't compared it with anything else. On my scale, 10s are very rare. They're for things that go beyond my expectations and Kerio does exactly what I expect and it does it well.

It's just an essential which does it's work. I don't think about it normally. It's just there and it works.

Frank Raasveld - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Fr@nkonnections
Very easy to view how things are working and protects you from hackers
  • "When one of the employees of my customers is using the VPN Client, I have created for them that they will always get a message. When the VPN Client connects to Kerio Control from the outside, they will get an email so they know when they are connected and when they are disconnected what is happening to their network."
  • "After the takeover by GFI, one of the things that Kerio built was MyKerio environment. This has not been very reliable because I get many messages that MyKerio is not functioning. For some reason, there are things that they changed and it is not very reliable at this moment, instead I have to connect to the firewall to see what is happening."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a service for my customers. My primary target is to help my customers in the best way to protect them from the dangerous things from the Internet. As a solution, it's easy to maintain. The product is a good solver that also depends on good support and its availability of engineers.

I am using the latest version of Kerio Control. It is an old type of configuration with VPN connections. I still like the product very much.

It is mostly installed on the Linux software appliance. That's what I mostly use for my customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Most customers are not able to understand the technology behind it. I am always trying to explain it to my customers. When I show my customers the interface of Kerio Control and all the reporting features along with the security features within the logging, they're very impressed. I have a very good relationship with my customers because this is mostly based on trust. I show them, and if they have doubts, I always say, "Just hire somebody to check my work." For example, a year and half ago in the travel industry, there were new rules for travel agencies who give out credit cards that they must comply with PCI DSS standards. There were some things that had to be adjusted and Kerio was able to adjust for that. So, it met the demands of PCI DSS standards.

When one of the employees of my customers was using a VPN Client, I created it so they will always get a message. When the VPN Client connects to Kerio Control from the outside, they will get an email so they know when they are connected and when they are disconnected what is happening to their network. I can, as an administrator, look in the logging and see what's happening. If I really wanted to manage what is happening over a month, then I could go deeply within Kerio Control and make a text file of the logging. I could then order an export to Excel to give the customer an impression of what is happening.

Our customers don't want to worry about their IP. If it's implemented well, Kerio Control is very good product for this.

What is most valuable?

• Security
  • Ease of use
  • Ease of install
  • Ease to recover
  • The load balancing is very easy to maintain.

The login appearances are very strong. In case of problems, you're able to find anything you want. I am always able to help my customers. I really love this product. It's very good. With its many features, there is no comparison. Over the years, I have seen other types of firewalls but they don't have these functionalities within them.

You can create your users, groups, IP addresses, IP groups, and make rules. It can do protocol inspection and load balancing. You can have a backup line where all kinds of scenarios are possible.

It has security features, like an open source Internet protection system. This is well-known and a good solution to protect you from guys who try to hack systems. They have also integrated a fire scanner, a protocol inspection, and web content filter. You can adjust things depending on the types of organizations who are using it. Over the years, it has been very easy to maintain.

I haven't seen anything else that compares to the comprehensiveness of its security features because I'm working mostly with small to mid-range offices. Manageability is very important, and that is possible with it.

Kerio Control's firewall and intrusion detection system, Snort, uses tables that are available on the Internet and loads them automatically. Over the years, I never had problems with my customers. The stability is very important for the product. I use Kerio Control as a central security system for my customers. On the workstation, I mostly use a virus scan. There are also multiple virus detections through your firewall.

The VPN Client for users is a strong feature within Kerio Control. An important thing within the VPN Client is it also has the possibility for two-factor authentication, which I really like. For some customers, this is very important.

I like its malware features.

This is a very robust the product.

What needs improvement?

With Kerio Connect, they blew it. They were not able to pace up with the competition. I am working with a variety of customers: lawyer offices, travel agencies, big shopping mall accounts, and small accountancy offices. They have all kinds of needs. Kerio Connect did a new launch in the Netherlands for the ACG and GDPR, which are very strict for some companies, like lawyer offices. It is important within the mail server product that you're able to encrypt your attachments and have two-factor authentication. All these type of things are not within Kerio Connect. Therefore, this product is not interesting anymore for my customers since the Dutch law is that strict. For example, there was a judgment from a judge this year when a company was hacked. There was a guy who maintained this network gave some advice to the customer, but the customer would not pay for that solution. He was held responsible for about 60 percent loss of this business, because there was a ransomware within in the organization. These are the things we have to deal with in the Netherlands and in Europe. Within the Netherlands, this is a very important thing, so you can probably understand how important it is that the product is okay with the market demands.

After the takeover by GFI, one of the things that Kerio built was MyKerio environment. This is a cloud solution to have an overview of the statuses of all the firewalls that you maintain. When a firewall or primary interface goes down, then you get messages. It also has an app for iPhone or Android. You can then have a quick view about the status of the firewalls for your customers. If there is a problem with the Internet connection, whether it is down or there is an update, then you get a message. So, I can proactively help my customers. However, after the takeover, this has not been very reliable because I get many messages that MyKerio is not functioning. For some reason, there are things that they changed and it is not very reliable at this moment, instead I have to connect to the firewall to see what is happening.

MyKerio is a cloud thing where you can easily see all the firewalls that you maintain for your customers along with the statuses behind them, providing a way to securely connect to your firewall appliances. This is a very strong feature of MyKerio. However, nowadays, I'm not really impressed about things they do with it. That needs improvement in my opinion.

Another thing is that you must be a specialist, like me, when you want to have more specific information, e.g., when there are incidents or things that are happening that need investigation, then you need to go to the shell prompts and logging, where you can perform anything. You can edit anything out of your log files. However, this is not possible within the Kerio Control admin interface. You can only search for one thing, but not for many things.

Kerio Control has a very good future, but it needs good marketing and knowledge around it.

I have been working with it since the beginning (1997). When it started, it was called WinRoute. Now, the name is Kerio Control.

It is a very stable product, which over the years has been very good.

The scalability is good. The VPN connections may need improvement. Because of all the security features within Kerio Control, e.g., it can do a deep packet inspection, this can slow down the traffic. Sometimes that creates a problem. For example, Kerio Control offers protocol inspection for the services that are available, and sometimes that gives problems because people are complaining that it is slow. The VPN connections from remote are not always very fast, so I think the throughputs of the VPN need improvement.

In every software, sometimes there are problems. One of the strong things about Kerio was the support knowledge and the involvement of the employees within the support department. I used to have the impression that the people working there were part of the products. It was almost a pleasure to have contact with people who were really involved with the products. After the take over of Kerio Control and Kerio Connect by GFI, it was really disastrous because a lot of the people involved were gone. When I had a problem and I asked for support, then they are asking me questions that I think help, but they don't understand the product. This is logical, of course, because there was a takeover.

The GFI product support for Kerio Connect has been unacceptable for my customers and me because I had major businesses that were running with this software and very satisfied because of the user-friendliness. Error and problems cannot be cured, but they must be solved. For example, when I perform an update, the next thing will be a ruined email system, but nobody will be available for support. This is also when they know that an update is coming and I am calling after updating it. They promise to support us, but there is no support, which is terrible. This is the thing that I feel is very important when you use business-critical software, and they need to improve on. I want to be able to call their support and reach someone who has knowledge about the product.

It has a very sophisticated logging system. I need to be able to connect to the engineers behind it, who develop it, and tell them, "Okay, that's wrong." If I'm not able to connect to first level engineers and make them understand that they're not able to help me or they need deeper knowledge of the product, then there is a problem. While this is not an issue with Kerio Control because they have proven with the product that they are able to maintain it, the major problem for me with Kerio Connect was they ruined things in the past and I was unable to go back. So, I'm very interested in how they are improving the support to make things work again with MyKerio, as it is very good feature.

I have worked with all the firewall systems, like Cisco. I see how people struggle of with it and also how much effort it takes to maintain it and implement rules. Kerio did a very good job with that. You can also, in a quick way, see inbound and outbound traffic and make your own filters.

A basic initial setup is very simple and straightforward. They offer a straightforward set of rules to make it work, then you can create all the rules you need for the customer depending on their demands. It can do almost anything.

The deployment time frame varies. For example, if I am deploying to a shopping mall, that shopping mall has all kinds of offices. Every office has its own demands regarding the IP system that they use. Every shop has its own software supply and concepts. Sometimes things get complex, then I start from scratch to make sure everything is maintainable, but this is very easy in Kerio Control if you know how to do your job.

Because of the coronavirus, for people who want to work at home, it is very easy to set up VPN Clients because that is a piece of cake.

When you look at Kerio Control, they are able to maintain it in a way that I had no problems because I was always careful with updates. I first test them on-premise before I roll it out to my customers. That's also no guarantee, but we are able to maintain it in a good way.

Implementation strategy changes per customer. Some customers have very strict policies about the sites that they can access via the Internet. Others have limited bandwidth. For example, I had a customer who could not visit some Internet sites because most of my customers have two Internet connections. I found out that connecting through the other interface wasn't a problem. It had to do this with the networks between them. It's very easy in Kerio Control to make another path where another Internet connection is used for that website.

I built a large network of freelancers over the years in the Netherlands and foreign countries to get the best solution for each customers. I am working with all types of people who are trustworthy and have good knowledge of the product. I tell my customers, "The IT world is the same as the medical world. You don't go to a heart specialist for an eye operation, and you don't go to your normal doctor for a heart operation. They're all specialists on their specific terrain." That is the way I operate for my customers.

I handle the deployment and maintenance of Kerio Control myself.

I have seen ROI over the years. It is part of the complete solution that I offer to my customers. Over the years, it has offered me a reliable platform for my customer and allowing me to build trust with my customers. That's the most important thing of Kerio Control.

If the support is not good, then I have a problem with my customers and it will cost me money. That's one of the things that GFI did after the takeover: It cost me a lot of money. Because there were a lot of problems, not with Kerio Control, but with Kerio Connect. It really cost me with unsatisfied customers.

It's not a very expensive solution from my point of view. Because it is not only about buying a product, but how much time does it cost to implement the features that the product offers? I haven't found another product that is able to do the things that Kerio Control can do for the money.

It is a good fit for SMBs because of its maintainability. When you want to keep your costs low, then Kerio Control is a very good solution. It's not an expensive product that is well integrated. It has a complete set of features within it that make it a very strong product.

GFI has made a stupid decision regarding small office licensing. For offices where there are only three to five employees and had five years towards a five user product, they now force these customers to a 10-year user license. I really don't understand it. It's a stupid decision for the small offices who want a good solution for security because they'll probably decide to go to another product. Why should they buy something that they don't use?

I don't use the Kerio hardware because they're too expensive and difficult to maintain.

Kerio Control has the ability if you buy it (it's a separate option) to know malware sites. Then, they will be blocked and the user is informed.

I have used Cisco, FortiGate, pfSense, and then more simple router things that have integrated software. However, mostly in business, I don't want to use just a router with integrated software. I don't believe in that concept. My customers are of a size that the stability of the product and the way it is maintained are very important to me. That's one of the strongest things about Kerio Control. It has proven to me over the years, and with my customers as well, that it's a very stable product. I haven't seen another product that compares to it within its price range. However, I also have to help my customers when they are having problems when connecting to a site or when they are having problems in general. When I contact their IT to find out what's happening on their side, it is difficult to get an answer why things are going wrong.

I can't find a comparable product to Kerio Control that offers the same set of features for the same money.

I found another product that can do a lot more than Kerio Connect, and that's IceWarp. IceWarp is a very strong product. IceWarp is a really strong competitor within this market. I was impressed with the software's ease of use because it's completely web-based. It's not only a mail server product, which offers secure attachments with out-of-the-box Office, but offers two-factor authentication. It also has a web-based text editor and Excel sheet, where you can make a basic presentation. With the same interface, there is the possibility to do OneDrive or Google Drive. They built it with the same depth that you need to log in to your IceWarp environment as a user. You can store your documents and sync them with a Mac or Windows PC. However, there is not much to find about this product.

What other advice do I have?

Kerio Control is very good. The way that you can maintain it, it's very easy. I had an employee who built a copy of the product, which was a very basic interface for the open source community. You can find it on the Internet. He was impressed by the way Kerio built this firewall solver, because most firewalls are very difficult to maintain due to their complexity. If you are working in complex environments, it is not easy to maintain firewalls, because things are always changing. This is the part of Kerio that is very good.

Every IT guy that I show the interface of Kerio Control is impressed with the product because it's very easy to view how things are working (when you know what you're doing).

Ransomware is protected only when the system is able to detect, "Okay, this is coming from a link and that link is known, and it is within the protection."

I don't use the solution’s high-availability/failover protection because the hardware is needed as well and I wasn't able to test it. I want to test it first, because it's not only the testing, but what are the costs of ownership for the customer? Over the years, the Internet connections in the Netherlands are very stable. I always tell my customers that if they have an Internet connection that they should have a backup connection. The hardware that I use is mostly recent, stable hardware. So, it's not for my type of customers. This is not a very important feature because the hardware is well-maintained. However, that's a thing that I take care of since most hardware fails because there is not a good cooling environment or a lot of dust is in hardware. I make sure that things are running well as part of my services.

I'm still surprised that sometimes I need something which I thought was not within Kerio Control, and it was within Kerio Control. That's mostly the case.

Biggest lesson learnt: Stick with suppliers for software products who are able to give very good support.

I would rate the product as a nine (out of 10). It is very good.

Hybrid Cloud
System Administrator Team Lead | Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Makes it easy to manage and add settings to the firewall, and gives us a single point to manage global rule sets
  • "The traffic insight page or the administrative portal is really helpful because you can see all the internet usage down to the point where you can see if it's big files or streams. It gives us a good view of what the internet usage is of users who are coupled to an IP address. That way, if there are problems with, for example, a lot of data usage or problems with the connection, we can narrow it down to a single user or server and address the problem. It's really helpful for diagnostic data."
  • "If you have to dive deeper into the firewall or any other features, then you really have to read up a bit about how to set it up properly. Some of my colleagues, in the beginning, jumped in and made a bunch of rules but then it got really messy. If Kerio had a template or guidelines for best practices, at the beginning, that would really help. With Kerio Control it's basically 'find out for yourself.'"

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use Kerio Control as a virtual firewall solution, and the user accounts let people have access to the internet through the firewall. We also have a few cases where we use the VPN. But it's mostly a firewall solution with multiple VLANs and the network behind it.

It's deployed on-premises, both virtual and hardware solutions. The NG100 is the smallest solution for smaller businesses, but we mostly use the virtual appliance.

Most of our customers are small to medium companies, where there are between five and 40 work spaces. Everyone has a PC and they have a VoIP phone and their own phones, and they have tablets. Most of the time, it's one to four devices per user. The biggest client we have is around 30 users.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made it easier for us and our employees to manage and add settings to the firewall, as opposed to another brand where you have to use command-line or really complicated layouts. The ease of use is a big plus.

The solution has also saved us a lot of time in managing security. We have to adjust the content rules and now we have one place where we can enter them. We have a customer with about 20 Kerio Controls and we don't have to set all the rules on each firewall. When we have to add some rules to each of the firewalls, it can be done within one minute. Normally, it would take 20 to 30 minutes, depending on if they're all online — and we would have to check them manually. Now, we just have to enter them and, when they come online, they sync with the global rule sets.

What is most valuable?

The traffic insight page or the administrative portal is really helpful because you can see all the internet usage down to the point where you can see if it's big files or streams. It gives us a good view of what the internet usage is of users who are coupled to an IP address. That way, if there are problems with, for example, a lot of data usage or problems with the connection, we can narrow it down to a single user or server and address the problem. It's really helpful for diagnostic data.

The content filtering is pretty good for our needs, especially with the global rules you can define. We can define global rules and use them on multiple Kerio Control installations. So we have one place to set all the rules for different customers. That's very good. The rules that it auto-updates and that are automatically available — for example, spam or indecent websites, or whatever else is in the firewall by default — are good.

The VPN works pretty well, especially with the Kerio Control VPN software. Some products don't have their own VPN software and, with Windows, sometimes it's just better to have a piece of software. That's especially true for some of our customers because they only have to open the software and press "Connect." Windows can be a little bit weird when it comes to that, and it breaks connections. You really don't see when Windows loses a connection or if you have to reconnect. The Kerio Control VPN client is pretty good at that.

What needs improvement?

The antivirus is either on or off, but we can't really see or measure how well it is doing. Sometimes we get the feeling that some files get past it and then they get caught on the antivirus of the client PC. We would like to have more control with the antivirus.

Also, we have multiple employees working on firewalls and if one employee changes a rule and traffic that shouldn't be there suddenly comes through the firewall, it's hard to pinpoint which rule is affecting that traffic because there is some overlap. It's not clear if it's getting past it because it's not decrypted. It needs more logging or more in-depth diagnostics about which traffic is hitting which rule on the firewall. Sometimes we have 20 or 30 rules and it becomes a whole job to figure that out.

When it comes to QOS, the quality of service, you have to set a fixed bandwidth. But sometimes, when we have multiple connections in front of it, it's a fallback line. For example, when we use Kerio aboard a ship, there is the satellite connection but there is also a 3G or 4G connection. We always have to set a fixed limit for the connection. If we set the fixed limit to 4G and it switches to navigation, one user can use up all the bandwidth for the entire ship. It would be better if there were something more dynamic, where it could sense the total and we could use percentages. For example, we could say a user has always 5 percent of the connection. But now we have 5 percent of a fixed connection number. The fixed limit on a line for QOS is a problem because we don't always know which connection is in front of it.

Also, if you have to dive deeper into the firewall or any other features, then you really have to read up a bit about how to set it up properly. Some of my colleagues, in the beginning, jumped in and made a bunch of rules but then it got really messy. If Kerio had a template or guidelines for best practices, at the beginning, that would really help. With Kerio Control it's basically "find out for yourself."

We've also had some problems with how to set the rules, but that's when more than one rule is overlapping and cancels out all the other rules. However, that's more our fault.

I have been using Kerio Control for around six years.

It's pretty stable. We had some problems with Kerio Control virtual appliances. If it was running more than 20 days, it would become really slow and sometimes it would just stop working. When we rebooted the solution it would come back up. But that was something that was happening a year-and-a-half ago. Since then, we haven't had any more problems with it.

We had a few solutions that just went corrupt. We're not sure if that was the disk or Kerio itself. We always have an installation of the virtual appliance on the server, so we can set up a new one, load the backup back in, and be up and running again in 15 minutes.

It's been a while since we contacted support, but back when we did it was pretty hard to get a hold of someone. We didn't get a lot of feedback. Most of the time, it was, "Look at the documentation." It was hard to get someone to look over our shoulder and help us with the problem. I think that was before GFI took over.

We did not have a previous solution.

As I said, if there were best practices or a template, the setup would be a lot easier because you start and then you change the setup according to what you think is right. But later on, when you encounter problems and look in the documentation, you see that another way is better. That was a bit of a problem when setting up. It all works, but in managing or adding rules, for example, or we just didn't do it properly. It was a bit of trial and error and that was a problem. It's too much trial and error when you start.

Deployment time, for some customers, is fairly quick. A basic setup can be up and running in 15 or 30 minutes. With other customers that have a lot of rules we do testing so it could take three or four hours.

For our implementation strategy, we just look at what the client wants. For some clients, we have a basic template now, where we always use a backup from an existing Kerio. If it's a new customer, we check if we have an existing Kerio that's pretty much the same, or we just do it from scratch if there aren't too many rules or networking behind it.

We see ROI because the ease of use is a lot better, so we spend less time on maintenance, administrating, changing rules, and checking usage.

If you have a lot of users, the licensing can be a bit of a problem because we have a lot of customers who don't use the user feature, but we have five devices per user, and we have to extend the license every time. The fixed model of users and devices is a bit of a problem for us. We want to be able to expand it fast and not have to contact our supplier first to get a license. That takes another one or two days and the customer is waiting.

It might be better if they offered a fixed monthly or yearly price instead of the user-based price. That's really keeping us from deploying with some of our smaller customers or customers that have a more dynamic user base. If they had a larger fixed price with unlimited users or devices, that would help. Now, it's five users each time. A pack of 100 or 200 users for a certain price would make it more dynamic and user-scalable.

We looked at pfSense and some paid firewall solutions, but in terms of how user-friendly it is for our employees and my colleagues, and how well we could manage it from a remote portal, Kerio Control was better, in our opinion.

What other advice do I have?

Kerio Control is a nice-to-have for a small business like ours.

My advice would be to look at best practices or get someone to show you how to properly set it up before you try anything and it gets too messy. The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is to look out when it comes to firewall rules. Don't use too many firewall rules or content rules because it can get really messy, really quickly, if you don't have a decent strategy for that.

We always try to use auto-update, so most of the time we're on the most recent version. We have some examples where we use Kerio Control aboard ships where the bandwidth is really limited. In those cases we use our own timeframe to update Kerio Control, but it's normally done within a month or two, so most of them are up to date.

We haven't seen anything yet in the antivirus and we haven't had any problems with malware with our systems. I don't know if malware is being detected that well, because sometimes the clients still have some malware. I don't know if it's because it's an HTTPS site or something else.

In our company, most of the work with Kerio is done by about 10 people. Everyone does the same tasks: administrating, changing rules, and installing new Kerios. I work on it in my role as a system admin team lead and developer. As of late, I've been more of a developer than administrator. The others are system administrators, business consultants, and there are two other developers.

CEO at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
  • "The most valuable feature is the reliability of VPN capabilities. The VPN has been very reliable and secure. The security has been very good and the VPN connections are reliable in that they stay up. We don't have a lot of problems with downtime and that type of thing."
  • "One of the problems we do have causes problems with the VPN. The software slows the throughput down too much. You could have a one-gigabit connection from the internet, and it slows it down to the area of upload and download is extremely slow. There's too much content filtering at that point."

What is our primary use case?

We have our server in our head office, so we have offices that log into it from various other cities and run their accounting software on it.

How has it helped my organization?

We have several offices in different provinces across Canada and because of that, the connection has been very secure and reliable. We haven't had any downtime with it other than when we had the NG100 fail. Other than that, it's made the connection to our websites, our office, and our eCommerce sites all very reliable. That's been very important.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reliability of VPN capabilities. The VPN has been very reliable and secure. The security has been very good and the VPN connections are reliable in that they stay up. We don't have a lot of problems with downtime and that type of thing.

The comprehensiveness of the security features is extremely good.

Kerio offers everything I need in one product.

The firewall and intrusion detection features are good. We've had some intrusion attempts that were stopped. The firewall has been doing extremely well for attempted hacks, as well as working well with the intrusion protection.

The VPN features are good They have a solid VPN client, which we found to be extremely good and reliable on various operating systems. Other than that, the VPN has been good.

Kerio is extremely easy to use. They're easy to install and pre-configure. If you have to do any maintenance it's well handled through the system. Remote connection, logging in, and doing changes on the system is extremely well handled.

We do use the failover in our head office. The failover is working extremely well. The last test on that was May of 2000 and 2020. The failover seems to be working well and the security has been good, so they've felt very confident in having it up and working as it's supposed to be. It's configured as per the instructions and it's working really well.

Kerio has enabled us to double the number of VPN clients extended to those outside of our environment. It started a little bit before the pandemic but just because some of the companies started to work more from home to cut down on costs. But since COVID that's where it shows it's doubled.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems we do have causes problems with the VPN. The software slows the throughput down too much. You could have a one-gigabit connection from the internet, and it slows it down to where the area of upload and download is extremely slow. There's too much content filtering at that point.

Quality control is another problem that needs to be handled better, particularly in the NG100 series. We have had to replace a couple of those. Other than that, the throttling down of the speed is too much. It is too heavy.

Other than that, I think they're good.

We first started with Kerio back in 2003.

We have an NG300, NG100, NG300W, and we still have a couple of 1120s.

Other than the quality of the NG100, stability has been extremely good.

The scalability has been extremely well handled. We can very quickly figure out what size of a machine a customer needs and put it into position.

We have four people that do them, but usually, when we're shipping out, one person sets it up and then they deploy it remotely and have the customer follow their instructions remotely.

We don't have plans to increase usage because of the problems we have encountered with the company and the follow-up. We would have. We had quite a few of them, I don't know an exact count anymore because it's changed over but even now we've still got about 32 of them in use right now. But we've switched over probably triple that away from it.

GFI's technical support is improving but at the very beginning, it was very bad. There was no way to contact them. When you did call, you didn't get returned messages. It is improving, but it's still not at a level where we're happy with it.

We previously used SonicWall. We were looking for something that was really rock solid. We had a very bad experience with SonicWall and their support was very bad. We had a client that was down and they couldn't and didn't help us. We had to find something else in a hurry.

One of our technicians had been reading up on Kerio so we brought one of their machines in and configured it. That's one of the first ones he did and he said that the setup was really good. He installed it and got the client back up and running, and then we started looking into it and found it was much better. Strangely enough, shortly after that, the sales rep we were dealing with at SonicWall left and he went to Kerio also.

Something that really bothers us about GFI, is that as a partner or a reseller, they believe that the customers belong to them. As a reseller, we take a lot of time building trust and confidence with our clients. We've been in business 30 odd years, and we still have clients with us that we took on back 30, 32, 37 years ago. They're still our clients, they deal with us, and they trust us. SonicWall did it and now GFI does it. They insist on all of the contact information for our customers if we sell them a machine. Then they start direct emailing them and our clients start saying, "I hired you to take care of this, why are these people sending me all this junk?"

Plus, we're in Canada and they send out this information and emails and it has U.S. pricing on it. They make a big deal about that it's only $100 or something, and then by the time we convert it to Canadian, we're looking at $135 and the clients forget that very quickly. It's very misleading to clients. Our customers don't like it. That's one of the other reasons that we're moving everybody from Kerio, because of what GFI's policy is of insisting on having all of our customer's names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, and everything else.

The initial setup is pretty good. The guys are used to it now. They've done a fair number of machines and they're very used to it.

It has become familiar and they're consistent from one model to another. The instructions are straightforward and a good tech should have no problem with it at all. The thing is that they're not a home machine, they're for business. If it has a tech working on it is no problem at all. It's quite simple.

An average deployment takes two and a half hours.

Network engineers set it up. Even one of our web developers has set up some of them. They have been very happy with training other people to do them. They don't have any problems. It's quite simple. The engineer was the first one to start working with Kerio back when we took them on, and he found that even in the beginning, from learning on his own, it only took him about four to eight machines to feel confident that he could do it without having to follow the instructions every time.

The size of the companies we work with vary. We call them medium-size, but some of them are only one location with 5 to 20 employees. We host a lot of our e-commerce systems and clients have those on their machines so that when the e-commerce inquiries come in, they go through that router. They become a medium-sized business very quickly because of the amount of business they're doing.

Kerio is a good solution for companies of this size. It comes down to the same thing, reliable, cost-effective, the VPN connections are good for the security between the e-commerce sites. Our eCommerce site is dynamic, so it's connected between the customers' inventory, warehousing, shipping, and billing system, directly to the e-commerce site. It makes it a lot tighter and more security is required because they are connecting directly to the customers' business machines, as well as just e-commerce hosted sites. Reliability and security are very highly needed because it does run their e-commerce sites.

We see ROI through the ease of setup. We have a flat fee for configuring one, we charge for one before we ship it out for installation or go and install it. A customer pays the retail price, converted to Canadian at the current exchange rate, and that's what we charge the customer for the machine based on Kerio's MSRP. Then we charge them a flat rate for configuring it, which is two hours and we charge them for two hours labor. Then we charge them for whatever time it takes to do it remotely on-site, or if we're going on-site and having to install it, we charge for that time. If you charge for your time and the value, then you're going to make a good return on it.

But if you go in undercutting prices, something has to suffer. We have never had a customer say to us that they're upset because we haven't taken care of them if they have a problem with one of the Kerio devices. There have been issues, they're machines, they're going to break down. But we've never had a customer say that it wasn't taken care of properly by us. When we had SonicWall that was a problem, we took care of the customer, we couldn't get the machine that he should have had properly under warranty, so we just went and got him a different machine, put it in and got him up and going.

That's where we have to charge for it. We did charge the customer for that, but he felt that we provided the service he needed. It just gave him a very bad taste in his mouth because he couldn't get it under warranty. Undercutting prices, either in your services or your pricing of the hardware is what's happening now on the internet, we see that people are buying Kerio cheaper. We say to them "If you insist on buying it and want us to install it, we're going to charge you to install it, and if there's a problem with DOA or anything like that, dead on arrival, that's up to you." We hand it back to them and say this machine's got a problem, you have to get it fixed.

The pricing is good. Our businesses have been around a long time and we've done that by not being the cheapest, but trying to be the best or one of the best. There's a lot of very good software and hardware companies out there, but a lot of them try to just undercut pricing and try to get the deal. We do not do that. We have a feeling we know what the value of our product is, if it's our own product. In a case where we have a router system, we know the value of it, we know what the value of the software licensing is for renewal and for the initial startup. We look at those things at the beginning, and we felt that Kerio was well in line. The price seems to be going up now, it hasn't gone up as bad as some of its competitors yet, but we'll keep an eye on that. Right now the pricing is valid for the product and the service they get.

We did look at and we're also an authorized Cisco reseller, but they're doing the same thing as SonicWall now. These big companies forget who puts all the work in. What they're trying to do, in my opinion, is get the little reseller to go out and hire the right people and go out and move their product, get them installed, and then they want to start going to them directly. I understand that smaller companies come and go but we've been here 37 years in total. They shouldn't go to our customers and start trying to direct sell to them and that type of thing.

We were also a Dell reseller and we quit because we had to register every sale with them, and then they were going direct to the customers. It's not fair to the company that's gone out and done all the work.

What other advice do I have?

The machine is a good value for the price and the software is extremely good value for the price. It's proven out to be good, but we're just disappointed in the company that now owns it and took over from it. They're improving, but it took too long to improve and it cost us a lot of money in that way. But I can't blame it on Kerio, I have to blame it on GFS.

I would rate Kerio Control a nine out of ten.

Chris Kershner - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Professional Project Managers
Reseller
The comprehensiveness of the security feature is exceptional but speed needs improvement
  • "Kerio is a lot clearer to set up to do particular things, whereas when I do it on a Cisco or a FortiGate I have to go fight with it per week sometimes to do something I can do in 20 minutes on Kerio."
  • "The overall speed needs improvement. Internet connectivity speed needs to be improved somehow."

What is our primary use case?

Our biggest customer uses Kerio Control as a VPN on a campus network that we use to encrypt all of their heating and air. It's at the University of Mexico. It controls all of their heating, air, and security over their campus network. I have a hundred units doing that.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm a one-person team, and Kerio Control has saved me time. When I looked at the comparison between how much time I spend supporting a business installation of Kerio versus a FortiGate installation, just with the implementation, I have saved a few weeks of time. On a yearly basis, I have saved around 30 to 40 hours on one customer because they're bigger customers.

What is most valuable?

The VPN is the most valuable feature. We filter out outgoing NAT packets by port. So we locked down incoming and outgoing packets with the Kerio software. It's a lot less money than our FortiGate solutions that we installed, for instance. The value in it is money savings and flexibility.

For the money, the comprehensiveness of the security feature is exceptional. The next level of security is the sandbox and FortiGate charges me $120,000 a year for that sandbox. I don't see that as something that Kerio would ever be adding. The next step is a big, drastic step up in company size. So for medium and small businesses, I think Kerio is about as good as I can get.

It gives us everything we need in one product for our small-size business.

For medium to small businesses, the firewall and intrusion detection features are very well priced and just excellent. The functionality for the amount that we're paying for them is excellent.

The malware and antivirus features are okay. I add stuff on top of Kerio, I have Malwarebytes. So I would give it an okay. Malwarebytes still catches quite a bit that Kerio doesn't.

I used the content filtering a little bit and it works alright. I've got a hundred VPNs at the University of New Mexico. I don't put it anywhere else though, so I don't know. I don't really have any kind of input on that, I suppose.

Their graphical user interface that allows me to open up particular ports to particular internal IPs with one external IP is very flexible and easy to use. It is also much clearer than when I go into my larger systems with two competitors, Cisco and FortiGate.

Kerio enables me to use one external IP address to cut it into multiples server solutions based on different port numbers. It saves them money if my customers are creative enough to use those features.

What needs improvement?

If I buy one of Kerio's hardware boxes and put it between me and the Internet, the speed is reduced dramatically using their hardware.

I have been using Kerio Control for the last twenty years.

We currently have one on Macintosh and one on Windows of the most current version of Kerio Control as well as Kerio Connect.

I found it to be fairly stable. Their updates have gone very smoothly, which is a nice thing. It doesn't crash during updates. I've had very good luck with that. Whereas I can't say the same thing with both Cisco and FortiGate.

If you buy their hardware box, it doesn't scale so nicely. I found if I put it on a higher-end computer, it does better. I guess it's okay if you put the right hardware in for it. I can't get through those to their boxes.

I had some customers that were running about 200 to 300 machines, those were my larger ones with Kerio. For the most part, I have them on between five and 20 users.

One of my customers had some issues that weren't pleasant. Support was pretty good and then it changed quite a bit when Lifeboat and GFI were involved. I personally haven't done too bad. I'm a one-person show, but I have a bunch of subcontractors. I personally have done alright with them. Although some of my people have had some not as good experiences over the last six months. They had time-related issues, about how long it took them to get back to them.

On average, it takes around one to two hours on a small to medium business to set it up. But it's totally dependent on their applications and that can vary up to quite a few hours if they've got some complex application issues. Typically, it's because I have to wait on getting responses from vendors. So we go out and we put in a default setup and modify off of that.

Our default setup pretty much locks their network up to only having HTTP, it turns off FTP and things of that nature. We have a pretty secure default setup and then we go open things.

After you've done it a few times it's pretty smooth.

Our ROI is money savings. We bill them every year for their renewal subscriptions, and that goes fairly smoothly. We don't have to spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out how to add a particular port or interface for a new function that the client needs to have access to. They never need the Internet. It takes us considerably less time to do it on Kerio than it does on the competing products that we also deal with. Which, from our perspective, is appropriate. For some people, it would be a mixed blessing because you are not getting as much billable time out of it, but we like to be as efficient as possible and so we appreciate that. We feel it's a good return on investment.

I think that licensing flows pretty smoothly. Make sure that you set them up so you support them over the my.kerio.com web interface because that lets you see all of your customers.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use high availability or fail-over protection. We set one up once and almost gave up on it. You have to have pinnacle boxes and things, so we did set it up and test it but we haven't actually sold any of them.

I feel pretty comfortable having a Kerio firewall in a medium to small business. It can be deployed in an easy fashion, which is the same as everybody's Comcast, CenturyLink, or whatever their modem has. Then if you really spend the time doing it correctly, you can give somebody what, I feel, is an enterprise-quality solution in small business for a good price.

If I pinhole Kerio for small businesses, I would rate it a 10 out of ten but overall, I would give it a seven.

IT and Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Scalable with an easy initial setup but technical support is terrible
  • "The initial setup is a breeze."
  • "When it comes to dealing with updates, there are often bugs on the solution. They should do a lot more testing before they release new versions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on the VPN for protection purposes. We utilize its antivirus capabilities as well.

What is most valuable?

I really like their general IT.

I like how it's possible for me to block other countries immediately if I see the need to do so.

The initial setup is a breeze.

What needs improvement?

The support the solution offers needs a lot of improvement. GFI took over the product and since the takeover, the support, the backups, the after-sales support, etc., has basically dropped off quite a bit.

I've been using the solution for about five years now.

The solution is very stable. Organizations won't have to worry about the solution crashing. I consider it to be very reliable. We have only had one firewall go down in the five years we've been using it, and I can't recall any other problems.

That said, when it comes to major updates, they need to do a lot more testing before they release things. Last year there had been a lot of bugs in major releases. It may have been because of the takeover. GFI has since taken over the brand.

The solution is pretty scalable. I updated it about two years ago and I didn't have trouble scaling. A company shouldn't have any problems expanding it.

Technical support is not the best. As an example, this past weekend I had an issue. It took me four days to get a hold of their support team. I'm a premium client. I tried everybody: America, Germany, UK, Africa. Everybody. That's unacceptable. There is no reason that their response should be that slow. In the past, I had managed to resolve issues quickly. That's not the case anymore. We're very dissatisfied with the level of service they are providing their clients.

I've previously come across Barracuda. I've spoken to the team there. In terms of meeting our needs, I've found that, with a lot of other products, it's very modular. Kerio tends to keep everything in-house. Due to that, there are certain functionalities that I prefer to have with Kerio as opposed to other solutions.

The fact that the setup is so easy is one of the solution's great selling points. It's straightforward. It's not complex at all.

It only takes one person to deploy and maintain the solution. The deployment itself only takes about an hour or two. Looking at the branches, it may just be 10-15 minutes of work for them. It's pretty quick. Of course, it depends on how many walls. A super basic setup is 10-15 minutes, however, if you have to put in a lot of rules, it will take longer because that process takes time.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution. It doesn't take too many people to set it up or maintain it, like, for example, Cisco, which is a bit more complex and difficult.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten, and that's mostly due to the fact that their support is so awful right now. If their support was better and more reliable, I would rate them much higher.

Matt Gerken - PeerSpot reviewer
VP Engineering & Admin at E3 Systems
Has saved time for the members of our team who manage security but it's not optimized or set up for satellite communication
  • "The interface control manager where we can allocate LAN connections to certain VLANs is the most valuable feature. The other feature that's important for us is because obviously everything is remote with MyKerio, as long as the boat has an internet connection, we can log onto the Kerio and get statistics, as well as provide support."
  • "It has a VPN back to our data center but I don't think it has increased the number of VPN clients extended to those outside our environment"

What is our primary use case?

Our client base is private yachts and on private yachts, we have different LAN connections, as well as different VLANs. Kerio Control allows us to maximize and control the different LAN connections, both from a performance and a financial standpoint.

How has it helped my organization?

The single largest component was the introduction of MyKerio and the ability to be able to remotely connect the challenge that we have with MyKerio. By yacht, I'm referring to the 1% of the 1% of the people that are out there with $50 million to $60 million yachts. They have satellite systems on board so one of the challenges that we have with MyKerio is the sensitivity to latency. What that means is that if you're on a landline like a DSL or a cellular connection, your ping time may be 20 milliseconds, but with satellite, because of the distances involved, those ping times could be 700 to even 1,100 milliseconds. This is a challenge that we have because just about any application or hardware device that is out in the market is not really designed to take that into account.

In this particular case, if we have a boat that is traveling from South Florida down to the Caribbean and the entire boat is on satellite and we need to be able to log into MyKerio for the boat, it's not optimized or set up for satellite communication. It sometimes becomes problematic in trying to connect to the vessel. Where if the entire boat, like on 4G or landline, then it's no big deal because MyKerio is optimized for that.

That would be an area for improvement, but the benefit of it is that we can handle issues remotely. The other benefit is through a minimal amount of instruction to the boat, they can complete what I would refer to as basic tasks.

For example, if a boat is down in the Bahamas and the owner is on board, we typically have these in cellular and a landline connection and then on top of that, we'll have an owner, the crew, and guests. So in this particular case, we would want the owner on the fastest 4G connection. Then we would want to put the crew on the satellite connection, which may not be as fast. So it's just about optimizing the experience for the owner and being able to control the bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The interface control manager where we can allocate LAN connections to certain VLANs is the most valuable feature. The other feature that's important for us is because everything is remote with MyKerio, as long as the boat has an internet connection, we can log onto the Kerio and get statistics, as well as provide support.

It's important because unlike a company where a company has an IT person on-site because these are yachts, they have a boat crew that is not necessarily "IT," so they rely upon us to provide them with their IT services. This is a platform that allows us to control and troubleshoot as necessary.

I would say about 95% to 97% of all of our support is managed remotely because of the nature of superyachts, where they're located, and the importance of the people that own them.

I have not run into any issues or complaints with regard to the firewall and intrusion detection features. I find that in this industry, the fact that those are services that are included is important. But I can't speak to the operability of it.

Because I interface the most with the boats and the crews, I've never run into an issue with the comprehensiveness of the security features.

In terms of the ease of use, if you took 15 different network professionals and told them to configure a Kerio Control, you would get 15 different configurations. Having said that, within our specific business segment, we have learned the configuration that works best for us and works best for our customers. The way that we have set it up is to not put the onus on the boat to make any changes, but if they need to make any changes they allow us to go in there and make changes.

From my experience, I don't necessarily do the configuration on them, but I do manage them. If there's a boat that has a problem, I'm the first phone call. Most of the time I can figure it out, but what we provide as a service is that we refer to it as a virtual ETO which is an electronics and technology officer. That would be an actual IT person, but for the most part, we just encourage our customers to defer their technical queries to us and allow us to manage it for them.

It has saved time for the members of our team who manage security based on how they're using it. It has saved time in the sense that they have an integrated security solution. I think the maritime industry is moving towards a standardized security initiative because the problem is that everything within the maritime industry is based on international, not national standards. So where and how the Kerio Control will fit into that is undetermined because the IMO, International Maritime Organization, has not yet determined what those standards are going to be. It's still a work in process.

It has a VPN back to our data center but I don't think it has increased the number of VPN clients extended to those outside our environment

I have been using Kerio Control for four years.

It is deployed in our office, as well as at our customer sites. Our customer sites are private superyachts.

The only stability issue that we have is with regard to the latency and using MyKerio. A potential deficiency I've encountered has had to do with the actual physical ethernet ports on the device. They seem to be very susceptive to shock. We have had to replace a few units due to that. Especially if there are devices that are POE devices. Part of it has a POE that goes out to the antenna and then there's an ethernet connection that goes back to the Kerio. We've noticed that for whatever reason, that particular device or combination don't play well together.

The way it works now, we can take an NG300 with four ports, and then we can create ports on additional switches. So the only instance that we really use an NG500 is for two reasons. One of them is processing power, and then the other one is if they actually have the requirement for different or more connections than the Kerio has.

Three people in the company, more from a customer interface perspective, and about six people in the company from a technical support perspective use Kerio Control.

We have it deployed somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 to 75 remotes. We will increase usage if we can increase customers.

I would say that we're a medium-sized business. We're certainly an established entity within the superyacht communications industry. Besides our office here in Florida, we have offices in France as well, and we're headquartered in Majorca, the point being is that we cover all of the Mediterranean, the US, as well as The Bahamas and Caribbean. So it has not been unheard of based upon an issue to helicopter somebody out to a boat kind of thing.

I have not used the technical support. My experience initially with Kerio was dealing directly with Kerio and then at a certain point, they offloaded their distribution to a company called Lifeboat and GFI, and that has been a bit difficult. In my opinion, it's made things a bit harder.

If I need to get an answer to a question, I have to go through Lifeboat or GFI, and then ultimately they in turn have to get with Kerio. So it's created a middleman process. The case in point is that we have an order and the order just kind of kept going and there were no updates, there was no tracking, there was no nothing. I would go to Lifeboat and Lifeboat would say, "Well, we're trying to get a hold of Kerio and there was just a breakdown in communication."

Kerio Control is something that's being added to most of the network of the boats that we deal with. We deal with a lot of boats that look fantastic on the outside, but on the inside as far as the nuts and bolts go, they are not well maintained or they have really old equipment. That's one of the things that we always deal with. One of the things I always talk to captains about when I go on a boat is I ask them, "What are the chances that the owner's going to come on board with a 10-year-old computer and a 10-year-old phone?" And he answers, "Zip to zilch." So I say "Well, your network's 10 years old." It's going to work based on what you have in the technology of anywhere from even five years ago compared to today. It's not just a matter of throwing a Kerio in and saying, "Everything's going to be fine." Typically, it's a component of a network upgrade to include switches and access points.

The initial setup is straightforward for us now because we've done it for so long. The other side of it is that there haven't been a lot of changes per se. There have been tweaks. The consistency of the platform has pretty much stayed the same. So while they have optimized certain components of it, it's kind of like Microsoft Word. You could go back to a version of Microsoft Word 10 years ago and know exactly how to use it because everything's going to be in the same place. It's just an evolution of the platform.

It takes around an hour and a half to license and configure.

We have a uniform deployment process and then that's followed by adjustments based on the client's specific requirements. They may have more LAN connections than somebody else, or they may have less of a need for additional VLANs. It's on a case by case basis. But I would say 95% of everything that we do is standardized.

I'm not the one that actually implements it. Full disclosure, I order the device, I get the device, I license the device, I update the device and then at that point in time, I have one of the engineers come remotely into the unit and then they do the final configuration.

On the licensing side, the way Kerio works, and this is what we have to tell boats, is that if you think that you're going to save some money one year by not licensing it and then next year, you're going to license it, you're going to end up paying for that back year. You're better off just keeping it up to date.

Boats are really like life. People want to spend money on things that are sexy, and software licensing isn't sexy. So that's one of the things that we have to go back and let them know that it's going to work as far as the basic functions go, but the features are not going to work and their security will be vulnerable.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing.

Evaluating other solutions would be the responsibility of the CIO because everything that we do has to be agreed-upon on a standardized platform as we are the ones that are going to have to support it. We let any customers that we deal with that are possibly dealing with other brands know where our demarcation point of responsibility is because it's very much so once you touch it, you own it. If you go onto a boat and you touch one thing, you'll be getting a call for the next three weeks about it. It's an industry that you have to be very specific about what it is that you're doing and what it is that you're providing and supporting.

We have been made aware of boats that have had security breaches, but we were not engaged to support their network at that time. We may have just been only the satellite solution provider. It wasn't specifically Kerio Control, but the situation necessitated them to reevaluate their network and invest in their network rather than just have it as a passive source.

What other advice do I have?

We don't necessarily use failover protection. If you have a failover seamlessly set, the boat or the customer won't know that there's been a failure. We don't use the failover because we want the boat to understand if there's an issue with one of their LAN connections.

For example, if you have a cellular and a satellite connection, and you have both of them set to failover to one or the other, if the satellite connection fails over to the cellular connection, nobody on the boat is going to know that it's failed over. Without the failover, they can identify that there's a problem and then that can be addressed. But if it fails over, nobody is going to be aware that there was an issue and then there's nobody working on solving or trying to figure out what that issue is.

My advice would be to have a plan. Have a plan in place and make sure that you document everything that you do. Certainly, if you're talking about multiple deployments, you don't want to run into a situation, for instance, where you have three different IT people and each one of them is doing a different type of configuration. You want to have a policy in place for a standardized configuration. From a support perspective, as well as a usability perspective, make sure those are being addressed.

I would rate it about a seven out of ten. The only reason why I would give it that rating is because MyKerio can be a complicated tool if you don't know how to use it.

I was at the Monaco Yacht Show and I got a phone call from an engineer on a boat. They were very angry with the service speed of their satellite. We have customers that pay anywhere from $2,500 to $40,000 a month for satellite service. In this particular case, they actually had to send a tender in. They had to take me out to the yacht and I got out to the yacht and I figured out exactly what happened.

As I was getting off the yacht, they were explaining to me how one of the crew members had worked with Kerio in the past. When I got onto the boat, somebody had set a QoS monitor to limit the crew network for the satellite connection to only 5% of the allotted bandwidth, but it wasn't just the crew, it was the entire vessel. So the entire vessel was limited through Kerio to 5% of the speed of their satellite. That problem or that issue did not arise as a Kerio issue. They said, "This is a satellite issue. We're having a problem with our satellite." So that's an example of, if somebody doesn't know what they're doing, they can have a pretty detrimental effect on the network.

The thing about Kerio is that there's not going to be a dummies book for how to use a Kerio Control. It's really designed to be operated and certainly configured by somebody who is in the IT industry. From the perspective of users, if you're the administrator, you can log into this and you have full access to everything. Whereas if you're "just the user," we're going to hide all of this other stuff from you and the only thing that you're going to be able to do is say that the owner network can use the satellite connection and the crew network can use the connection.

I would like to see a very limited or dumbed down version for the average user. You could literally just do a couple of checkboxes and throttle everything on the entire network and nobody would necessarily be the wiser.

Owner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
VPN enables us to do remote work and we can better manage security
  • "We also like the security. We can control what sites users can go to and we can make sure that where they're going is appropriate and that it's work-related."
  • "The denial of service could also be improved. There recently was a big issue with denial of service attacks and it was a bit laborious."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for internet connectivity, security, and VPNs.

How has it helped my organization?

The VPN connections have improved my organization. It also means that I can manage security more easily.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the VPN. It enables us to do remote work.

I use the geo IP filtering a lot.

We also like the security. We can control what sites users can go to and we can make sure that where they're going is appropriate and that it's work-related.

What needs improvement?

Quality of service and bandwidth management need improvement. It just doesn't seem granular in that.

The denial of service could also be improved. There recently was a big issue with denial of service attacks and it was a bit laborious.

I have been using Kerio Control since 2016.

It's stable and we rarely have any reliability issues.

It is scalable up to a point that then you might have to use a user faster, bigger one, but on the whole, it is scalable. It's because based most installations I have are over 300. Whereas if they start to get really big, you'll need to increase the model to the next model up.

In my company, it's me that manages and installs them all. We install, manage, and offer basic management and support.

The environments we've installed for can go from three to 50 users.

We've never had any problems with it not being able to manage the traffic.

The GFI technical support is average. The speed of response sometimes is not very fast. Sometimes they take a while to resolve an issue. For example, I've got an issue that's not been resolved for three months now, meaning that the box, the unit isn't performing as it should do.

My clients generally replace solutions like SonicWall and Fortinet with Kerio but sometimes they don't have a firewall at all, so we set them up with their first firewall.

It's easier when all our customers are using the same firewall. It makes it easier for us to manage them across the board. We use Kerio across the board.

We used to use a lot of Fortinet but now we've replaced that with Kerio because of the support and price, although now the support is not so good. The price is fair and the features are all pretty much the same.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's a bit tricky because I do it a lot, but it's pretty straightforward. It has a Wizard if you need it, but I don't need it anymore. I know what I'm doing. I find it quite easy to set up.

A basic deployment takes an hour. Just the box standards are set out for everybody, and then if they need something specific, we'll add it in afterward. But a straightforward, standard, basic setup takes about an hour.

We have a unified implementation strategy that we start with and then we tweak it if need be. We don't use MyKerio to put a standard implementation across all of them.

Our standard implementation strategy is to implement dual internet connections, standards, and standard traffic rules with VPN access.

At the end of the day, our customers are being managed, looked after, and they're secure, so they're happy.

The licensing is a bit of an issue. People don't like to have to buy user licenses. They think they should be able to buy the box and be able to use it. Licensing is a bit old fashioned in terms of the fact that if they don't renew the license that box becomes useless. People really don't like that. Then they can't use it anymore.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to make sure you've got an internet connection. The first thing you have to do is register the user on the internet and then if you get to a new installation where you're setting them up from scratch, you're going to struggle because with the new Kerio unit, the first thing it needs to do is connect to the internet and it can't do that if you haven't set it up. It's best to get it set up before you install it on site.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using the solution is not to assume everything is running okay because it might not be. The main reason is because of the denial of service not being up to scratch. You have to make sure that their connections aren't being kept of denial of service effects. That's the problem right now. I would say denial of service is probably one of the weakest areas.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Mark Spiteri - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at JB Metropolitan Distributors
If one connection goes down, it automatically switches for me
  • "The routing of the multiple internet physical routers I have is the most valuable feature of this solution. Instead of me physically unplugging a cable from one router to the server, if one connection goes down, it automatically switches for me. So I can have all three of them plugged in. If one goes down, it just picks up the other one automatically. There's no physical cable swapping."
  • "I would like it if the interface section had multiple failovers. Although I do have three connections, just in case our physical cables get disconnected, I can only set up one failover as a backup. So, if for some reason our fiber and our AFM went down together, I would have to have it search for our 4G modem. I'd love to have extra backups running."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to route traffic and route our multiple Internet interfaces. It routes all of the outbound Internet traffic, none of the internal. I do apply a content filter as well to make sure people aren't going into places that they shouldn't be. We have some traffic rules setup for certain services, blocking certain IP ranges from getting external access as well. We do the same for the Adelaide office, but our South Coast office, in addition to all of that, we also run DSCP off of it. The South Coast is the only place we use the DSCP on Kerio.

How has it helped my organization?

Now that we're both running fiber connections between Sydney and Adelaide, I can access our document server in Adelaide just from my PC, rather than using something like TeamViewer and transferring the file I'm after via TeamViewer from Adelaide. I get to it not much slower than the internal server we have right now. It's fantastic.

What is most valuable?

The routing of the multiple Internet physical routers I have is the most valuable feature of this solution. Instead of me physically unplugging a cable from one router to the server, if one connection goes down, it automatically switches for me. So I can have all three of them plugged in. If one goes down, it just picks up the other one automatically. There's no physical cable swapping.

In terms of ease of use, it's pretty easy. It took some playing around for me to understand some of it, but I'd say if you understand what it is you're after, and how that works, then this is pretty easy.

We use the firewall. It's fine, a bit tough. I need to test it against others. I'd rather use the Kerio firewall than the Windows ones.

With the VPN features we can connect all three of our sites together.

The content filtering and VPN features are pretty easy to set up. It's a couple of clicks and it's done, so it's pretty good. I'm pretty happy with it.

I am the only manager who manages the security. It does save me time. In the scenario where one Internet connection goes down, I used to have to run to the server room and unplug a cable, and come back. Now, I don't have to do that at all. It saves me a lot of time, 100%. With the routing, previous to this there are a few things in here that I haven't had the ability to really do how I wanted so I don't have a comparison.

What needs improvement?

I would like it if the interface section had multiple failovers. Although I do have three connections, just in case our physical cables get disconnected, I can only set up one failover as a backup. So, if for some reason our fiber and our AFM went down together, I would have to have it search for our 4G modem. I'd love to have extra backups running.

Someone set a printer to have a static IP address and because they set it as static, it won't show on my LAN, on the DSCP server, because it's not questioning it. So just because the device does not request the rules from the DSCP, I don't see why it wouldn't show up in my LAN on the DSCP server. That's a bit odd. It's different from how a Windows DSCP server would react. Instead of only showing one is requesting DSCP, or on a reservation, it shows all, whether they're reserved or not. A Windows one would. For some reason, it isn't showing me ones that were statically assigned.

I have been using Kerio Control for four to five years.

It's deployed in three different locations now.

The stability is pretty good. I've only had one issue with it before. It was set to update on its own, and it didn't update and the update failed, so it didn't come back on for some reason.

If an update fails, it should have some kind of automatic rollback to bring itself back on. Because when it does that at night and it stops, I don't really get a notification that it's stopped. It's not on anymore so I don't find out that nothing has worked all evening until the next morning.

Scalability is fantastic. I don't see a limit to it.

I am the only admin for this solution.

We employ a company that contracts stuff out for me, so they're the people that initially installed this for me at the three sites, but I maintain it. If I have other things I don't know how to do, they'll get in, but it's just me and that other team.

Increasing usage depends on whether the business itself acquires other businesses, and that's really why we've got these three locations. We bought a business in Adelaide, so we set up a similar setup to what we had in Sydney. And this year in February we bought another business down in the South Coast of New South Wales and we've set up a similar thing there as well. So if we buy other businesses and I need some other help with the server running, then yes, I'll probably get another license. But only if that happens.

My business is medium-sized and this solution is perfect for it.

I have one point of access for multiple portions of what I need for routing. We've got an Internal server that's managed by a different company and it was incredibly easy for that other company to put certain rules in place and then for us to create those rules to and communicate to the outside world was incredibly easy to map. There was just no confusion between the two companies that we're talking about what to map. That was in the initial setup, so that all wasn't done by me. They just communicated to each other very easily. This made it very simple. There was no confusion.

I've never contacted technical support because I just call the people that I contract to fix things and if they're not quite sure how to fix something, they'd probably contact GFI.

We used to use a Cisco router. That was it. There was a very limited amount of routing I could really perform.

Kerio Control enables us to add multiple routing. We have lots of different options in the one thing.

Kerio was recommended to me by ITIS. They told me that this one was what they highly recommended we use for what I needed.

The outsourced contractor that we used for the setup was great. There's nothing wrong. I've been using him for a while.

I can't imagine not using it. I think if I had to use the Microsoft server to do all of this I'd be very frustrated.

I don't have other ones to compare the pricing to. I haven't used other solutions to know all the features they have. The price seems reasonable to me for something that does so much and works so well.

What other advice do I have?

Kerio Control has not increased the number of VPN clients but we have added clients only because they needed it, not because Kerio is there.

To the best of my knowledge, before Kerio we did not experience a security breach. The only semi security issue we had was that someone had run a virus that encrypted a whole bunch of files on the server. But that was before my time. I was not the IT manager at that point.

If I didn't have the help from someone else that completely understood all of the services that are features of this product, then I probably wouldn't have put it in myself. It's definitely more advanced for people that are handling this type of networking day to day, which I don't. The only other thing that I've had a problem with is Apple servers for some reason, because Apple services come through on so many different servers themselves, and different destinations on the Internet, there's always some kind of issue with updating them on the network with Kerio running. I don't know why. It's just Apple. Everything else is fine.

Personally, I've just learned how to route traffic over a network well. It's helped me to route different parts of the Internet to different parts of my network, which I can't do on a Window server, and visually it's been a great help.

It's been able to add multiple Interfaces, it's good. I have multiple Internet streams and a failover. That's the best.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Freelance IT Specialist at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Good open source availability with great policy routing but needs to be more user friendly
  • "The user interface and the ease of use are pretty good. Everything fits together so nicely."
  • "The one thing that did put me off of the solution was that, after they were taken over by GFI, the licensing and a few other items have gotten very complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We do quite a special deployment. I work on superyachts. My clients, basically have various ways to forward their internet connection, either by satellite, or, if they're within the range of the shore, they use 4G and a multitude of other connections. Kerio provides for an easy way to manage the various connections. Also, because of the limited bandwidth of the vessels using VSAT, they have control of internet traffic.

What is most valuable?

With Kerio Control, one very useful feature is the policy routing. This enables us to, if we have the yacht's network split up into VLANs, give the option of basically pushing different VLANs through different internet connections. This is very flexible. Then the PFM and the Netgate firewalls are also very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that did put me off of the solution was that, after they were taken over by GFI, the licensing and a few other items have gotten very complicated.

I am just a little bit wary as to the future of the Kerio Control. I do like open source. I think open source is the future. I don't think there is any place for proprietaries and if I can use something as open source, I would prefer to use open source.

I never found I missed anything in terms of features. From a user point of view, because I install these things and put them on a yacht, then the people on board, they're the ones that have to manage it once the installation is done. That means I have to train them, and, as long as they understand what they need to do and how to use I'm they'll be fine. That said, it can be a bit complicated for a novice user. A simpler user interface is necessary.

I've been using the solution for years.

I've never tried to scale the solution. In my case, it doesn't make sense to try. My installations are very finite. The yacht doesn't grow, so it's very self-contained.

I haven't contacted technical support in the past, to be honest. I'm the kind of person that I would rather look things up online. The beauty of working in IT is that a lot of problems you come across have already been witnessed. Someone else has come across them and has already posted solutions online for you to find. I'm not one of these people that tends to call help desks. I used to work on help desks quite a lot myself, so I am well versed in troubleshooting.

We have experience with pfSense.

With Kerio, everything is just a bit more cohesive. Everything fits together. With pfSense, you need to install add-ons to get the features you need. You can have the same features as Kerio, but it may require installing an add-on. With Kerio, of course, everything is already there.

Another very nice feature I like with the pfSense firewall is the ability to actually run a packet capture on the router, on the gateway itself. Thatis something very useful that I miss having access to, as it's not available on Kerio.

The initial installation's level of difficulty all depends on the requirements of the customer. Some customers just want it there so that they can actually monitor and see the traffic usage, and, if necessary, they can go and speak to people and ask them to stop using up so much data. Some clients use it more as a deterrent and just as a way of monitoring what's going on. Other clients like even more control, which can make it a bit more complicated. They want to put in quotas for users and block certain sites, which is possible, and just a bit more work. It will all depend on clients.

Deployment typically can be done within one day. However, a lot of time users may be upgrading the whole network with wifi switches. Everything gets built together. For us, we're trading our gateway and our networks on board. It shouldn't take more than a few days for a full network installation.

I am self-employed, so I work with other companies that usually do the installation of the hardware and I come in at the end to just make sure everything's all configured correctly and set up properly for Kerio configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution.

It is a good solution. I would like to use it more as an open source software these days. The way everything is going in the world, I feel that there's definitely a place for open source. In terms of the proprietary side of it, I'm not too keen on it, and I'm a bit dubious about this takeover by GFI. I don't know if it's a product that will carry on as it is or if things will just keep getting a bit more complicated with it.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's done everything I've ever needed it to do. That said, if I can find a solution that does the same, I'll switch. I find that there are actually more options. If you know what you're doing and you find the add-on that you need, then I think it's more flexible.

Chief Information Officer at NETmodel Tech Ltd
The web filter works well, but needs NGFW user-level protection

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for this solution are to control internet use, filter sites, and manage bandwidth.

How has it helped my organization?

It prevents people from visiting undesirable sites and ensures that they use the internet for their designated jobs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the web filter.

What needs improvement?

Improvements are needed to the Next Generation Firewall Protection, specifically with user-level protection.

Since 2017.
Owenmpk - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Support Professional at Valley IT Support, Inc
Leaderboard
Software appliance allows for quick recovery from hardware failure
  • "What I like the most about Kerio is that I can use the software appliance as a solution, so if the hardware fails for any reason then I can quickly replace it with hardware that I have in stock."
  • "Their support is getting better but still needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is a UTM (Unified Threat Management) router.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution gives me confidence in the ability to quickly recover from hardware failures.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Kerio is that I can use the software appliance as a solution, so if the hardware fails for any reason then I can quickly replace it with hardware that I have in stock. Typically, I use a Dell OptiPlex i5 desktop or small form factor.

What needs improvement?

Their support is getting better but still needs improvement. I had been using Kerio products for quite a few years before GFI purchased them.  What liked about the support was that the people you contacted were actually using the product in their homes, they played with the product and broke it and fixed so understood it well. GFI support folks at the first level are script readers and point you to documents you can find on the support website. For me, I have gone down that path already when I opened a ticket.

I see they have phone support now, but I have not used it.

I cannot think of any features that are needed at this time.

More than five years.

This solution works. The only issues are hardware failures.

With respect to the scalability, I have it running in five-person offices and in fifty-person offices.

The technical support was very good originally but fell short when GFI took over. It is now getting better.

I switched from SonicWall because, at the time, they did not accurately report the throughput of the router when all of the UTM features were enabled. Also, setting up the traffic rules was not as easy as Kerio Control.

The initial setup for this solution is very easy.

The implementation and deployment is something that I do myself.

I do not worry about the ROI. I just need something that works and protects.

My advice is to use your own hardware and do not use theirs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I use the product and i am partner.
Ray Kingdon - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Director at EVAK Technologies Limited
Provides a Pre-Filter to Scan Email Messages Before They Get to the Email Servers
  • "All of the features of Kerio Control are equally good. Most valuable to us are the firewall rules, the intrusion detection system, and IP address features."
  • "Kerio Control has just improved on their biggest problem, which was to introduce better support for high-availability requirements in production."

What is our primary use case?

We resell Kerio Control to other businesses. We use the virtual appliance model. The device is used for direct management.

How has it helped my organization?

Kerio Control protects our email servers. The product provides a pre-filter to scan the email messages before they get to the email servers.

What is most valuable?

All of the features of Kerio Control are equally good. The most valuable to us are the firewall rules, the intrusion detection system, and IP address features.

More than five years.

Kerio Control is very stable.

The scalability of Kerio Control is limited, but they also market it as such. It's not an enterprise-class product, but they don't claim that it is.

Kerio Control is for small enterprise businesses with various clients. It can support an organization of up to 300 general users, remote developers, and trained workers.

For deployment and maintenance, Kerio Control requires just one person. I tend to increase my usage of the product as time goes by, as well as the number of support clients.

I have never had to use Kerio's customer support services.

I did use other solutions previously. I switched because they suddenly made the Kerio Control license end-of-life.

The setup of Kerio Control is very straightforward. The initial implementation is about three hours, with various points of review. We are a managed service provider, so there are ongoing reviews and adjustments for the clients.

ROI is difficult when you've got a "not for resale" version of Kerio Control. It's a total cost of ownership and further investment. The product is brilliant. I don't know how much value you can add on to it, but the cost point of the Kerio is much lower than the bigger vendors.

The version of Kerio Control that I use is a "not for resale" unit. I get the product for free. There is an additional cost for the annual software licensing which depends on which model you have and the number of users.

The Kerio Control license has a varying cost, but generally, it's around £300 a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Kerio Control a ten out of ten points overall.

RobertWright - PeerSpot reviewer
Computer Technician at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Provides users with the ability to log in to the portal page, keep track of their data usage and perform bandwidth management
  • "The most valuable feature is to provide users with the ability to log in to the portal page, keep track of their data usage and perform bandwidth management."
  • "I would like to be able to inspect https packets for the purpose of virus scanning."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to provide our customers with a reliable and secure internet service for which they can perform bandwidth management and other operations.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a service that we set up for the yacht owners. They all want to carry the control over the yacht.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is to provide users with the ability to log in to the portal page, keep track of their data usage and perform bandwidth management. It allows the captain to keep a log of everything that is happening and see who is using what bandwidth.

If somebody is using too much bandwidth then they have the option to throttle them back.

What needs improvement?

As of late, it seems that they can't release a version that doesn't have some type of bug. It crashes when it runs out of memory, and fixing this would be great.

I would like to be able to inspect https packets for the purpose of virus scanning.

More than five years.

This solution has been pretty stable overall. That said, there is room for improvement.

For some clients, some of the options cause problems. Filtering, for example, is something that one client does not need at all. Turning this off seems to straighten things out.

I have been awoken at 3 am by emails telling me that things are down, and that has happened within the past couple of updates, but not as much. I keep my eyes on the Kerio forums and watch for other people who say that it is time to upgrade again.

My impression is that it is pretty scalable and it can handle a lot of stuff.

I don't use it to the point where I'm linking multiple sites together, so I can't comment on that aspect.

We have the solution installed on approximately twenty boats now, and we're continuing to install them.

The technical support used to be great. However, it's gone way downhill. I used to speak directly to the person writing the code, and he would walk you through when you need help. Now, I can barely get a hold of him.

Thankfully, now that I know the software inside and out, I don't really need them.

I have used a couple of other solutions.

For me, they are straightforward. However, the reason we chose this solution is because it has to be something that the captain can understand. It has to be a straightforward user interface.

If it were a situation where a client were going to be managing every aspect of it and the captain is not going to be involved, I would probably choose pfSense or something else.

This initial setup is straightforward. It is a no brainer, and anybody can get in there and just do it. They deployment takes maybe half an hour, if that.

It all depends on what they are requesting. It's not just "one size fits all". Some boats have a LAN they need set up, while some boats don't. We set up the unit sources and assign different ports.

These days they have a dedicated internet port, and they've got four or five land ports. We'll take one or two of the land ports and assign them to the Internet port, so that way they'll have a ship-to-shore connection, as well as a VSAT (Very small aperture terminal) connection. We'll also have another device with a cell router coming into the third connection, so that way they can switch between the three Internet connections when they need to.

For example, if they are out at sea they're going to use the VSAT, but if they are in the port then they will either use the ship-to-shore Wi-Fi, or the cellular connection, to save money.

We have eight technicians on site, but it only takes one person to handle the deployment. The maintenance is quick; we can log in remotely and update it if we need to. I prefer to be on site for this in case something goes wrong, but nine times out of ten everything is just fine.

We do the implementation ourselves.

There is a yearly upkeep fee.

We have evaluated WatchGuard and pfSense as well. We basically need something that is easy for the client because they want to have control over everything, and that's what Kerio is going to give them.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is big in our industry because the captains have to have control over everything. If the captain wants to log in and see what his users, his crew members are doing, then Kerio provides that.

I suggest watching the Kerio forums for what the community is saying in terms of upgrades and support.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

MarcoVivaldelli - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director CEO at MARVIV SRLS
User-friendly, flexible, can be used on different kinds of infrastructure, and you don't need a high level of skill to use it
  • "The flexibility of the system, the capacity to provide the right level of security, and the ability to be integrated into different kinds of infrastructures are the most valuable features."
  • "The improvement that we are looking for is for when decide to move some part of our application to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the security of the entire network. There are more than 10 companies that are distributors in the territory and for this region, we have to manage and to guarantee that all the companies can interchange data between them, but also with the outside in a safe way. Kerio is the right solution to achieve our objectives because each client and each server that is distributed in the different companies can be maintained and can be controlled in the correct way.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The improvement that we are looking for is for when decide to move some part of our application to the cloud. This is one of the projects that we have in progress. Mainly to distribute some services on the cloud and to make that a possibility not only for our company, but also for the customer to have access to this application. To guarantee a correct level of security, not only for our application but also for all customers that access our system. This is one item that we are now considering.

More than five years.

Stability is good. We are satisfied with the performance of the system.

We have more than 300 users that are distributed in more than 10 different units. There is one production unit that is around 170 people, and the other 130 are distributed in the other nine companies.

Some of the users are administrators, the other users are in the technical department, R&D, sales, and the production department.

Their technical support is very good. We haven't had any problems with them.

We have used Sophos in the past.

The initial setup was complex. The system itself isn't complex in terms of actually using it. It is user-friendly. It is complex in terms of the capacity to control the situation.

We didn't spend a lot of time on the deployment. In the beginning, we did need to dedicate some time to implement the infrastructure internally. In terms of the operations and maintenance, we don't spend a lot of time on it.

It requires two people for maintenance.

At the beginning, we did need a consultant to set up the system but now we have our own resources in our company who manage the system.

The pricing is in-line with our expectations in terms of the quality that we get for it.

What other advice do I have?

Kerio is user-friendly, it's flexible, and can be used on different kinds of infrastructure. You don't need a high level of skill to use it. It monitors, identifies potential problems and it takes actions on a problem. The system is quite easy to use, and we don't have any kinds of problems with it, compared to other solutions that are not easy to understand and are complex.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Right now, we are really satisfied with the product. Of course, we are open to seeing other improvements, but from our side, we don't need any other improvements because what we have right now complies with our needs.

General Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
  • "The statistic feature enables us to better use bandwidth management. We monitored the use by mobile, type of application, department, and by users. The bandwidth was solid. Our internet speed is optimized for our research."
  • "I would like for them to add more security features."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as the primary UTM for the whole company.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The statistics feature is the most valuable feature. The active host feature, "Live," enables you to monitor every host and every connection. The statistics show you a full brief of every user, every type of connection used, and the total bandwidth used. It is a very powerful feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to add more security features.

It's very stable, and updates are frequent.

In terms of scalability, it's actually more for a small to medium-sized business. It's not very scalable.

We currently have over 50 users. The users are in different departments. It's a whole network; we have the admin department, accounting department, finance, technical department, and support department. Everyone is using it. It's the main UTM of the network.

It's the main UTM of the network so it's the internet firewall. We use it every day, every minute.

We've never had to use their technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's the most user-friendly UTM out there. The deployment was very fast, less than half a day.

We did the implementation ourselves. It required just one person.

We see ROI on the internet bandwidth optimization levels.

It's very affordable.

Every year we evaluate other options like Sophos and Kaspersky.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to somebody researching this solution is to check all the features. Some of the most important features of this program don't exist anywhere else. Especially the statistics.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

it_user784197 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Coordinator / Pointe-Noire Branch, BUROTOP IRIS SA at BUROTOP IRIS SA
Improved my organization's security, good technical support, and inexpensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security purposes, web filtering, and firewalls.

How has it helped my organization?

Kerio has improved my organization's security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the security.

What needs improvement?

They should add wireless features.

Three to five years.

It's very stable.

Scalability is okay.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took one week.

I implemented it myself.

The price is inexpensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone considering this solution to go for it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Owner at LOTUSCONCEPT
Enables the ability to remotely control systems to be installed in multiple areas
  • "Technical support is good. They respond right away."
  • "I would like to see them develop a bit more flexibility creating VLANs."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for general network security and VLANs. It's in use 24/7, all the time.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization because we can access remotely. With Kerio Control, we can remotely control systems to be installed in multiple areas. The remote connection is valuable for us.

What is most valuable?

The firewall feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them develop a bit more flexibility creating VLANs.

It's a real good product. This version has many features for creating VLANs and also for traffic rules, firewall rules, etc.

Scalability is more than enough. There are over 50 users. Ten of them are management on the business side and about 20 or 30 are part of the crews.

Technical support is good. They respond right away.

The initial setup is a bit complex, but it was fine for our IT department. Deployment took around one month and it only required one person. One person works on it, and it takes him about two or three weeks. Maintenance requires two people.

We did use an integrator. We have an IT manager.

Pricing is good, but the licensing took a lot of time. It was with a company in Europe and we got it with 50 users and wanted to upgrade to unlimited users. They first make it 250 users, then one or two weeks later unlimited. It took two weeks to get an unlimited license. It was strange but if you purchase with unlimited then it's no problem. You get it right away. The upgrade took a lot of time.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to someone considering it.

User at GVC
User
The remote connectivity feature for users needs improvement. It has helped our organization with testing.

What is our primary use case?

I use Kerio Control for user statistics, intrusion detection and prevention (IPS), web filtering, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped our organization with testing.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the remote connectivity feature for users.

Trial/evaluations only.
Chief of Technical Department at IIA Ltda
The solution is easy to use and provides the ability to deliver customized solutions
  • "Kerio Control is easy to use and provides the ability to deliver customized solutions."
  • "Support responses need improvement."
  • "I would like for there to be a difference between international and national links."

What is our primary use case?

It is for local use in our company of about one hundred users. It is also deployed to different clients, which are from twenty to two hundred users.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides security to the internal network and implements solutions through VPN to access specific internal services, without the need to open the network completely. The usage capacity of Kerio Control is enormous.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use and the ability to deliver customized solutions is incredible. When updating from version 9.2.4 to version 9.2.5, support services was able to remove 5 patches from version 9.2.5 in a very short amount of time to normalize the system.

What needs improvement?

Support responses. The response time was very good, but not excellent, because they were worried about their system normalization solution. They slightly delayed in answering direct queries.

I am evaluating version 9.2.6. I would like for there to be a difference between international and national links, something I can find in other firewalls.

More than five years.

Yes, in version 9.2.5, but we solved it quickly.

None

In general, I have not used it, except in version 9.2.5. The response was very good.

None

Simple initial setup.

An internal team implemented the solution.

In 2 years 80% of the investment was returned.

Initial implementation costs are comparable to a similar product due to the ease of performing basic operations.

The cost of the product has optional additions with very good prices. The product update is 25% of its value which is very good.

Yes, FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

Setting up a small laboratory is simple and fast, so you can see a small portion of the solution's benefits and what it will do to improve a business's security.

Chief of Technical Department at IIA Ltda
Helps our organization better control internal and external communications

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us better control internal and external communications.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of use.
  • The clear handling of the reports.
  • The information that it delivers.

What needs improvement?

Filtering of pages and greater personalization in services, among others.

More than five years.

I have not had stability problems.

No issues.

The technical support is good.

We switched from our previous solution to Kerio Control, due to it administration and scalability.

Setup is simple. The Kerio interface is very intuitive.

Search and compare.

Yes, we evaluated Cisco, Fortinet, and Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

Only trust in the product. Its support is very good, and it is stable product.

IT Infrastucture - Cloud Admin at Primary S.A.
Now we have a better overview of all our internet connections and LAN-to-LAN connections.

What is most valuable?

Navigation through options and configure them is just two mouse clicks away. Lots of information without need of an external tool.

• Site-to-Site VPN
  • Easy configuration
  • Really easy and user friendly GUI
  • Stability
  • AD integration
  • Traffic shaping options
  • QoS management is great
  • VLAN options per interface
  • Proxy and Reverse proxy with SSL options
  • Two step authentication
  • The real-time built-in monitoring applications
  • Intrusion prevention system
  • DNS redirection
  • Easy monitoring and configuration of the routing table
  • Guest interface feature

How has it helped my organization?

We had several routers in our environment, including Linux firewalls and Cisco PIX for user and site-to-site VPN connections, all of them were replaced by Kerio Control. The improvement was instant as now we have a better overview of all our internet connections and LAN-to-LAN connections. We even have a better control of our site-to-site VPN tunnels.

What needs improvement?

The VPN configuration because if you need specific VPN parameters you have to configure them through the CLI of the appliance. These options are not available in the GUI. The intrusion prevention system is good, but it could be better and you cannot configure per IP exceptions. Some diagnostic tools can be improved too, however they are good enough to the everyday usage. Last,lu the Ubuntu/Debian VPN client can be improved a lot.

It does not offer high availability option yet, however you can do that through VMware's fault-tolerance feature.

Guest Interface has a built-in web site for access to the internet (like a hotspot). In some cases, guest users cannot see this interface and then they cannot navigate/use the internet, however this only happens on rare occasions.

I have used this for four years in several locations, and all of them are happy with it.

We had no issues deploying it.

Kerio Control can be used with three internet connection modes:

• Single internet connection
  • Fail-Over
  • Load-Balancig.

If you put the appliance in Fail-Over mode it will simply FAIL, and will bypass your routing rules. It will start balancing connections (even when you have not configure it) and the stability will be annoyingly poor. However, the user manual says that you have to put it on Load-Balancing mode if you want to use routing policies which is contradictory, but that's how it works. When you put the appliance in Load-Balancing mode it i will work great.

Once again you have to double-check licenses, remembering the licences count the IP that is passing through the firewall to the internet, and site-to-site connections will not count.

Here in Argentina they are terrible, as they will not answer emails and will not reurn the phone calls. Otherwise Kerio support is great.

We had a mix of Linux IPtables and Cisco appliances. We switched because the business needs a quicker and more precise response from IT.. Now, with a clicks, we can see everything.

It's not complex at all, however I have to modify the virtual appliance because it came with the E1000 virtual network adapter. I removed them and put VMXNet3 in instead. I also had to change the amount of default configured RAM. It's now working great.

I implemented it myself as it's really easy to setup and use.

To test it, you can setup a mini-lab inside of a VMware hypervisor. The major problem that you will find with this is the licensing, as it´s confusing and you have to remember that they licence the appliance per IP basis. The basic licence includes five users and 25 IPs for every device that pases through the firewall which counts as a used licence. If you have one user connected to the VPN and 24 devices using the internet (Tablets, Phones, VoIP phones, computers) then you are using 25 of the available IPs so no-one else would be allowed to use the VPN or navigate through the firewall until the VPN user disconnects, or one of the devices is not being used to connect to the internet. So you have to double-check how many IP address/users you will need before buy and deploy it. Luckily for us, Kerio offered a 30 day free trial for testing. Also, they sell the product with Sophos AV and a really good content filter.

What other advice do I have?

Connection Monitor

Debug Area

The Main Dashboard

Traffic Rules

Download our free Kerio Control Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022