IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

kCura Relativity OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

kCura Relativity is #6 ranked solution in top eDiscovery software. PeerSpot users give kCura Relativity an average rating of 8 out of 10. kCura Relativity is most commonly compared to OpenText EnCase eDiscovery: kCura Relativity vs OpenText EnCase eDiscovery. kCura Relativity is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
kCura Relativity Buyer's Guide

Download the kCura Relativity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is kCura Relativity?
Quickly sort through large amounts of data to extract similarities and access information to create coherent reports

kCura Relativity was previously known as Relativity.

kCura Relativity Customers
Webb & Tyler

kCura Relativity Pricing Advice

What users are saying about kCura Relativity pricing:
"The pricing is extremely complicated."

kCura Relativity Reviews

Alban Proko - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer Team Lead at Ritech Group of Companies
Kepler is a great technical feature for those working on development
  • "Caplets are a very good technical feature."
  • "There are a lot of bugs on the development side."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently creating a product that is dependent on the Relativity API from the development side, using APIs to do e-discovery or reports on documents that are being reviewed and managed in Relativity. We base our product and the communication on our test servers and gather the information to determine its reviews and other metadata. We use that information to generate additional and more improved APIs. Our clients are wanting to use the docker installation of our product on their own servers.

How has it helped my organization?

We have based and organized our product to fullfill the Relativity Development Requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature from my perspective are the Kepler. It's a component that is more technical and directly related to the development companies that will be using it. It allows you to create custom APIs. You can communicate and gather most of the information that is not available in the standard API that they offer. This feature adds to that as a positive component, enabling you to create your custom APIs.

What needs improvement?

I think there is a lot of room for improvement because we have encountered a lot of bugs especially on the development side. I think they are working hard at trying to improve this for the future.
kCura Relativity
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about kCura Relativity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable product. Sometimes their services don't work correctly and processing requests can be difficult. There are some things that need to be improved in the stability but I think they already know this and they are working towards fixing it.

The solution is scalable and allows you to expand the service in different servers and nodes but if you are using an older version, then it creates load balancer issues with development partners. We currently have around 10 to 12 developers and QA working on our product with Relativity.

Technical support is very helpful when they engage. A lot has changed with Covid, so staff are working from home. I'd be happier if they were responding more quickly, particularly on major issues. In general, their communication is perfect and they do what they can to help. There is a time difference between Albania and where they are, it's around five or six hours, and that also creates delayed responses. If you install the product when they're not around, you might have to wait several hours.

The initial setup was very difficult. If you're not trained, you need a lot of support from them. But things have improved with the setup although it is still quite difficult. We needed assistance from support because of the complexity. They now offer training or certification for administration, and this is something worth considering before installing. There are different parts to the deployment but it can generally be done in one day, perhaps a little more.

Currently we have a development partnership license.

What other advice do I have?

We're learning every day, exploring it as we go. There is a lot of information that's not available in the documentation and not explained, so I would recommend going with the certification. We came across issues that we didn't know about previously and the support was unable to solve because there are parts that they hadn't explored yet. Sometimes Relativity hasn't had experience with the issues that have come to the surface so it's better to have the certification. They're constantly trying to improve the product so I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Manager tech support at a legal firm with 201-500 employees
Seamless installation, reliable, and the support is good
  • "I like Relativity's blackout feature, as well as the Case Dynamics function."
  • "What I dislike about Relativity is that we have to go through the host in order to do productions and loads. It is not a do-it-yourself tool."

What is our primary use case?

When we have larger cases with more than a terabyte of data, kCura Relativity is the best resource.

What is most valuable?

I like Relativity's blackout feature, as well as the Case Dynamics function.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with kCura Relativity for the last 12 months.

We are currently working with the most recent version.

Definitely, kCura Relativity is stable.

Unquestionably, kCura Relativity is a scalable solution.

We have eight users in our firm that use Relativity.

Everyone seems to agree that the amount of data flowing through any type of business will only increase over the next two to five years.

Having said that, if we get more data in the next two to five years, we'll use Relativity more frequently than we do now. I do expect to use it more frequently.

Technical support has been fine.

I have over a decade of experience in e-discovery. I've spent a significant amount of time working on a variety of platforms.

In my opinion, Recommind Axcelerate eDiscovery is a bit dated. I wouldn't recommend it in my top 10.

From my personal experience, they are somewhat antiquated platforms. I formed a focus group less than a year ago to evaluate various e-discovery platforms, and we heavily relied on the 2021 e-discovery survey and the G2 reporting standards.

We didn't think any of the platforms mentioned were worth our time because they didn't meet some of the criteria we were looking for in an e-discovery platform.

Let me give you an example. Nowadays, a large amount of electronic data contains PII, and we were looking for a tool that could redact instances of PII globally and with some flexibility. Another example is the CaseMap functionality. We would like to be able to take our documents, put them together with witnesses, facts and create a timeline and demonstrative items to prepare for hearings and depositions. Those are two of the top two functions that I couldn't find in the tools that were mentioned.

In the last 12 months, I have used iCONECT, Relativity, Epiq Discovery, which is a proprietary tool hosted by Epiq. I've also used Eclipse and Lexbe.

I have also had a chance to explore Everlaw as well as DISCO.

The initial setup was seamless.

We performed a six-week rollout.

We have one project manager and five specialists supporting him in maintaining this solution.

We had project managers in-house and through the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I work as a litigation support manager. I provide attorneys with technologies that will enhance their practice. I work for a law firm with approximately 240 attorneys.

I would recommend that they look at a variety of platforms and have a checklist prepared in advance and have a thorough understanding of the product limitations versus your needs.

I would rate kCura Relativity an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
kCura Relativity
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Litigation Data Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good search capabilities and accessibility with a reliable performance
  • "The ease of navigation from dock to dock, and that kind of usability, is quite helpful."
  • "The price per user could be improved. We'd like for it to be more affordable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for litigation and discovery matters to review. We host the data. We are using it to process the source of the data for review by other users. I don't actually review the documents myself.

How has it helped my organization?

It's definitely a useful tool for more robust-sized cases.

What is most valuable?

The searching capability of the product is definitely very valuable to our organization.

The accessibility is excellent.

The stability has been very good over the years.

What needs improvement?

The price per user could be improved. We'd like for it to be more affordable.

I've been working with the solution personally for the last five or so years. It's been a while.

The stability is excellent and the performance is very reliable. In the years I've used it, I only ran into maybe one incident of it having access issues. That's very good in my opinion. I'm quite satisfied with it in that sense. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches.

I'm not sure how many users are actually using it in our organization.

We do not have plans to increase usage at this time. We're pretty happy with where we are.

I can't speak to what was used previously, although it is possible there was something else in the past. The company has been around for a very long time. I'm sure that there probably was another solution, however, the specifications on exactly what it was I don't have knowledge of.

I cannot recall the deployment process. I don't have any information in terms of how long it took to actually implement.

We don't have anyone on our end that is assigned to maintaining the product.

I don't have exact numbers. I would assume we likely see an ROI or we probably wouldn't still be hosting it or dealing with it. That said, I don't have access to the exact data.

You are charged per user. It can get pretty expensive if you have a lot of users in your organization.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using or the deployment method.

For Relativity specifically, it is more of a tool for large cases. If you have, more often than not, a caseload that is small, you're going to be producing PDF formats and stuff like that, and Relativity is probably more than what you would need. I would advise those considering the solution to definitely take a look at what types of cases they have and if the company doesn't have large data sets and format expectation of standards deliveries, then it's probably not something that it would need.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly quite happy with its capabilities.

Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, performs well, and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use kCura Relativity to deliver client projects.

What is most valuable?

kCura Relativity is easy to use, and it is reliable.

What needs improvement?

They require more built-in support for some third-party applications.

I have been working with kCura Relativity for three years.

They are no longer known as kCura.

We have used many different versions across the years, but we are currently using version 11.

11 is the most recent version that is not cloud-based. They also have a cloud version, which is a separate version.

kCura Relativity is a stable solution.

kCura Relativity is scalable.

We have 200 users in our company who use this solution.

Their support is really good.

I wasn't involved in the initials setup, but it also depends on how you define easy.

The pricing is extremely complicated. There is no one-word answer, I would need more specifics.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to make use of their support.

There are numerous things they must check and consider before using it.

I would rate kCura Relativity an eight out of ten.

Download our free kCura Relativity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022