Ionic OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ionic is the #6 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms. PeerSpot users give Ionic an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Ionic is most commonly compared to OutSystems: Ionic vs OutSystems. Ionic is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Ionic Buyer's Guide

Download the Ionic Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Ionic?

Ionic is an open-source UI toolkit for developing high-quality mobile and desktop apps with web technologies such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Ionic focuses on the frontend UX and UI interaction of an app – UI controls, interactions, gestures, and animations. It is simple to learn and can be used without any frontend framework by utilizing a simple script inclusion.

While previous versions of Ionic were strongly connected to Angular, version 4.x of the framework was re-engineered to serve as an independent Web Component library, with integrations for the newest JavaScript frameworks, such as Angular. Ionic works well in most frontend frameworks, including React and Vue, however some frontend frameworks require a shim to enable full Web Component support.

The official Ionic CLI, or Command Line Interface, is a tool that enables developers to easily construct Ionic apps and offers a number of useful commands. The CLI installs and updates Ionic and also includes a built-in development server, build and debugging tools, and much more. If you are an Appflow member, you may manage your account and carry out cloud builds and deployments via the CLI.

Ionic Features

Ionic has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• One codebase: Ionic is the first mobile app stack that allows web developers to use a single codebase to create apps for all major app stores and the mobile web. Ionic apps look and feel natural on every device thanks to Adaptive Styling.
  • High performance: Ionic is designed to run and behave well on the latest mobile devices, using best practices such as efficient hardware accelerated transitions and touch-optimized gestures.
  • Simple, clean design: Ionic is built to function and display well across all popular mobile platforms and devices. You'll be building in style thanks to pre-made components, typography, and an attractive (but flexible) base theme that adjusts to each platform.
  • Native and web-friendly: Ionic uses native SDKs and emulates native app UI guidelines to combine native app device features and UI standards with the full flexibility and power of the open web. Ionic operates as a Progressive Web App in the browser or deploys natively via Capacitor (or Cordova).

Ionic Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Ionic. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Cross-platform: Create and distribute apps with a single code base. Apps run natively on iOS, Android, desktop, and the web as Progressive Web Apps. Publish once and go anywhere.
  • Based on web standards: Ionic is developed using cutting-edge web APIs like Custom Elements and Shadow DOM on top of reliable, industry-standard web technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Ionic components have a solid API as a result, and they aren't subject to the whims of a single platform vendor.
  • Good design: Ionic is made to operate and look great right out of the box across all platforms. Start with typography, interactive paradigms, pre-designed elements, and an attractive (yet extensible) base theme.
  • Simplicity: Ionic was created with simplicity in mind, making it fun, simple to learn, and available to almost anyone with basic web development skills.
Ionic Customers

MRA, Napa Group, Sworkit, Airbus, Sense Corp, Interactive Gaming Company, Pacifica, Untapp'd, Diesel, National Museum of African American History and Culture

Ionic Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ionic pricing:
  • "I think most of the plugins for Ionic are open source, and you can do a lot with many of the basic features. However, if you need to use a premium plugin for something like extra scroll list functionality, Ionic will ask for a certain sum of money."
  • "The solution's open source option is free with no licensing fees."
  • "The starting cost for the enterprise option is around one hundred dollars per month."
  • "You don't have to pay anything except for certain projects. For example, Appflow has some costs related to it but you don't have to use it. You can also pay for extra support."
  • "Ionic is an open-source solution, it is free."
  • Ionic Reviews

Nakul Kundaliya - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Lead Developer at Mayora Infotech
    The best cross-platform solution of its kind, with good performance and live reloading
    • "What I like the most about Ionic is live reloading, which enables us to develop new features without having to build the application again and re-check the functionality."
    • "Ionic is a cross-platform framework, so when we compare Ionic with native Android and iOS, we can see the drawbacks. For example, if you need to work on very high-level aspects of an application such as animation, even if everything else is not putting load on the app, you will still see high load from the server side."

What is our primary use case?

The main reason we use Ionic is because it is designed to be cross-platform. If you need to build an application with the same functionality on iOS and Android, you don't need to worry about maintaining two separate applications. We can build and deploy on Ionic, and then enter the apps into the Apple App Store and Play Store. With Ionic, only one source code needs to be managed across multiple applications.

Ionic also provides their own tools to deploy the application along with Ionic Capacitor, but I was mostly using custom manual deployment along the lines of, "Let's run some commands in Android and Xcode", and then generating net-aware applications. Additionally, Ionic supports web applications and PWAs (Progressive Web Apps).

In our company, we have multi-member developers where some are working on Ionic using React Native, some are working on web apps and Vue JS, and we are all working in a parallel fashion. In my group we currently have around 10 people working on Ionic, even though they're also working on React Native and other languages that have different skill sets. For myself, I have more than three years of experience in Ionic using Angular, until I switched to working on Ionic with React Native.

How has it helped my organization?

When I first started working on Ionic, I noticed that what they were doing is just creating a WebView of native code in the background, and then rendering everything on WebView. That means that it's converting our code to HTML, and the HTML was being rendered on WebView for native Android and iOS. For this reason the performance wasn't very good, and at times they were using code or a plugin for this until version five, when they introduced Capacitor.

Capacitor provides a lot of features we can use, including libraries and code for the camera plugin, post notifications, and so on. The thing is that if they are not using WebView, they have to internally build some native modules for Android and iOS. Whenever we import those modules from Android and iOS and we are busy creating the APK and building the applications, they are converting into native components instead of WebView, and that's why we're seeing such good performance now.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about Ionic is live reloading, which enables us to develop new features without having to build the application again and re-check the functionality. It's the same when it comes to the web, as whenever we make design changes or create API calls, it automatically refreshes our application and we can directly check the functionality.

What needs improvement?

Ionic is a cross-platform framework, so when we compare Ionic with native Android and iOS, we can see the drawbacks. For example, if you need to work on very high-level aspects of an application such as animation, even if everything else is not putting load on the app, you will still see high load from the server side. You will eventually find yourself getting lots of image, video, and hardware-related work to deal with. This is the main limitation of Ionic because we still have to depend on the native Android and iOS code. However, in other ways we can achieve the same performance with Ionic as we can achieve with native Android code.

One feature I would like to see added is the code post. The code post is a very good feature I encountered when using React Native. Inside the code post, you don't need to deploy your application again when you're modifying your code. You just need to run one command, and each and every server will automatically receive the latest modification. A similar feature in Ionic would be appreciated.

Another drawback of Ionic has to do with the no-code service that they provide, where you just need to drag and drop your components to build your application. I feel that, coding-wise, it isn't a good feature. And, for instance, if you're making an API call, they would only provide the UI, so you would still need to take some time to modify it. Because of this, I considered simply building our UI from scratch.

Apart from that, one other disadvantage is when you're using a type of plugin like AdSense for putting adverts in your application, Ionic would take a percentage of whatever profit you make.

Ionic
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Ionic. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have more than three years of experience in Ionic, having started on the first version available.

When it comes to stability, so far, so good. Ionic has improved a lot since it came out. When I was working on Ionic version one and version three, at times the performance was not good. When using the application, we could literally feel, "Okay, this is not a native build." You could see the UI glitches, and so many other glitches, but now, in the latest version, they have improved a great deal.

Before, they were using extra code, such as a plugin or library, converting all those components to WebView. But now, they're using the native component in the background. Thus, the improvements have come a long way in areas such as screen navigation and so on.

In general, the stability of Ionic is great, whether you're building an eCommerce platform, a social application, or most anything else.

As for maintenance, it's not a big deal. Only one person needs to be assigned to that.

We definitely intend to increase our usage of Ionic in the future. Whenever a non-technical customer asks about building their mobile application in Android and iOS, they tend to expect two separate developers for each mobile platform. Instead, I suggest that they use Ionic to develop their application because it is cross-platform and they don't need to maintain two separate developers. With Ionic, one team can do both Android and iOS coding, and even web coding, so it's always something I refer to with many of our customers.

I could give Ionic 4/5 stars in terms of technical support.

Positive

I have also used other solutions such as Angular and React Native, which is also cross-platform.

The setup was very straightforward. Even a non-technical person can set up Ionic and start creating normal applications.

I have a good deal of experience in deploying Android and iOS in different scenarios and until now I have deployed more than 10 Android and iOS applications on the Play Store and Apple Store. We are not using a consultant or similar professional to help with implementation because I know the issues of our applications and how to solve them.

Another thing to be aware of is that with some advertisement plugins such as AdSense, Ionic will take a percentage of whatever profit you make.

What other advice do I have?

Ionic is the best solution I have used of its kind. There are different reasons and benefits to choose to use it, which include cost-savings, time-savings, and the ability to code more effectively, especially since you don't need to maintain two separate code bases.

At the same time, it has its limitations, even though the Ionic team are continuously improving many aspects. I would possibly give it a perfect score if it weren't for the fact that it does not support multi-threading (as it is based on JavaScript). This means that if you are thinking of making custom animations without using any images, you might find that your application will struggle with high loads.

I would rate Ionic an eight out of ten.

Aliasger Rangoonwala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder & CEO at Bitkraft Technologies
    Comes with a lot of inbuilt mobile-friendly components and allows us to develop iOS and Android apps with a single code base and same resource skills
    • "Because it's a hybrid mobile app framework, it is easy for us to develop iOS as well as Android apps for our customers with the same resource skills. We didn't have to have separate iOS teams and Android teams to build the apps. We still have to use the Apple Xcode for iOS, but the main development happens with JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. We don't have to write separate code bases in scripts for iOS and Android. We create apps using web-based technology."
    • "There could be better support for augmented reality and other things. Geolocation and background app activity are some of the things that are a little more clumsy at the moment and could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We started building with Ionic mainly for our hybrid mobile application development projects, and as we got a little bit more comfortable and the toolchain improved, we've also used it for web development that we've done for some of our customers.

What is most valuable?

There are two main things. Because it's a hybrid mobile app framework, it is easy for us to develop iOS as well as Android apps for our customers with the same resource skills. We didn't have to have separate iOS teams and Android teams to build the apps. We still have to use the Apple Xcode for iOS, but the main development happens with JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. We don't have to write separate code bases in scripts for iOS and Android. We create apps using web-based technology.

Another advantage is that it comes with a lot of free, inbuilt components. It has UI components that are already mobile-friendly. It also has a very good in-built navigation for the mobile context. It makes development very easy. You do it for one platform, and it is automatically done for both platforms.

What needs improvement?

They can get the performance closer to what we would get by using Native. They have improved it significantly, but they can add more support for device-specific things. There could be better support for augmented reality and other things. Geolocation and background app activity are some of the things that are a little more clumsy at the moment and could be improved. In our company, we are working on building capabilities with augmented reality and other things. If they can add more powerful support for that, it would be awesome.

It has been about six to seven years.

If it is done well, it is a very stable framework to use. We've some projects that are almost five years old, and they are using some of the earlier versions of Ionic, such as Ionic free, and they still do pretty well when we use them on the latest iOS and Android versions. So, it has been quite good. It's not that the support breaks or there are other issues. If you are building them well by using best practices, they seem to work pretty well even after multiple platform upgrades.

It is mainly using web technologies, and they also have a fantastic community that builds a lot of plugins. Those plugins are open-source and free. It is also very easy to build your own plugin and extend your extender framework and use it how you want. That works out really well.

There are also paid tools that the Ionic team has released, which further improve development, deployment, and app design. They are paid ones but not necessary to use. They can, of course, improve your entire output efficiency, but you can pretty much do most of the development work using the open-source community tools. You don't have to go for these paid tools.

We have about six or seven developers who are working on Ionic-based projects, and we are a team of about 16 people in total at the moment. It is getting used in our current projects, and we are planning to use it for some of the projects that are in the pipeline in the future.

The Ionic forum is very active. It also has a very large community forum. A lot of the issues and questions asked on the forum generally have been answered. I have not taken their paid support yet. So, I would not be able to comment on that, but so far, with the general community support, the responses from their official support on their forum, and API docs, the experience has been pretty good.

The earlier versions of Ionic used the Cordova toolchain, which was very difficult because any dependency updates would break the build process. On different developer machines, getting the project started and set up was always time-consuming, but since they introduced the new Capacitor toolchain, things have improved significantly. It has made life a little bit easier for us. The setup is no longer complex. I would rate it a four out of five in terms of the setup.

The maintenance that we see on the projects is related to client features. When it was on the Cordova toolchain, there was a lot of effort due to Ionic version upgrades, et cetera, but since the Capacitor toolchain has been used, Ionic-specific maintenance is not a big challenge. It's generally maintaining what we do on the project because some of the projects have been long-term projects where we are maintaining client apps. So, the maintenance projects are on, but they are not related to Ionic.

Typically, Ionic is compared with React Native and Flutter. React Native very much uses React, and Flutter uses its own language, which is Dart. If we were to use these, we would have to train our developers in these languages. The good thing about Ionic is that although they started with Angular as their base web framework, over a couple of years, they have also added support for React and Vue. They keep adding support for popular JavaScript frameworks. That really makes it super easy for us to hire new developers and ask them to work on Ionic. Even if they don't know Angular and they know React, they can still use the Ionic framework. That's the best part about Ionic.

What other advice do I have?

For us, it is a 10 out of 10 because it is our platform of choice for most of our mobile app product development. It is the default choice for our company. Working on the platform has been very good.

Ionic
    November 2022
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Dheeraj Upadhyay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Software Engineer at UKG
    A flexible, feature-packed solution that can easily handle complex apps
    • "The solution is secure, reliable, and packed with features so we can easily implement apps even in the most complex situations."
    • "Documentation for migrations and compatibility is insufficient."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to develop hybrid mobile applications that include PWAs, Android apps, and iOS apps.

Our developers rely heavily on Storage, PWA, and CodeOver but prefer that our laboratory designs other components to ensure a homogeneous work environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is secure, reliable, and packed with features so we can easily implement apps even in the most complex situations.

The solution provides flexibility with useful components such as a date picker, Storage, biometric and CodeOver plugins, and end-to-end payments.

For example, we used the solution to develop banking apps for a client because its features met banking requirements.

What needs improvement?

Documentation for migrations and compatibility is insufficient.

For example, we recently migrated from Ionic 5 to Ionic 6 with an additional migration to Angular 13. We found that Angular was no more compatible with Ionic 6 than it was with Ionic 5 but there was no documentation on the subject.

Release notes and migration guides sometimes miss crucial information which creates chaos while migrating. We did provide feedback and opened a case on the solution's portal where some issues were resolved.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable and is used by many organizations with no reliability challenges.

From the performance side, improvements could be made because we sometimes use native plugins to interact with hardware but the plugins are not updated frequently enough.

For example, Ionic 6 includes new bundling optimizations but older plugins are not yet aligned with the latest capabilities and this causes a lag in performance.

For this reason, we rely on our in-house design laboratory to create DSL components that we use instead of plugins to ensure a homogeneous approach across teams and apps.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is good and has responded in a timely manner to tickets.

I rate support a seven out of ten because it would be beneficial to have a Slack channel for queries and discussions to get an instant response. Other solutions offer this option and it is a more flexible approach to receiving support.

Neutral

The solution was already in place when I started working for my current company.

The setup can be straightforward or complex depending on needs, features, and number of users.

Our company handles implementations for clients. Our team of 35 engineers includes developers and QA along with four DevOps staff handling core items.

A separate internal team handles deployments because the apps are huge with millions of users. Apps are deployed in different data centers with monthly releases for both Android and iOS. The deployment process includes bundling the app in a disk folder, using Docker to encapsulate it, and using GCP cloud to deploy.

A team of maintenance engineers handle upgrades and releases of new versions.

The solution's open source option is free with no licensing fees.

Our company uses the open source option without any features that require fees.

At my prior company, we had a discussion about using Angular or CodeOver separately.

We decided to use the solution because we were implementing an app for an Arabian banking client that needed support for right-to-left translations. No other solution was able to support that flexibility in a convenient manner.

There are many design changes when reading right-to-left and the solution is capable of a complex design that reads both ways.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using the solution because it is a good product.

I am not sure it is worth it to consume additional services that have licensing fees.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten because it has many flexibilities but there is some room for improvement.

Dansteve Adekanbi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Frontend Developer Consultant at Modus Create
    Great user acceptance and reliability, multiple teams not required, with prompt customer service
    • "The most valuable feature is the one code deployed to all solutions, which means you do not need to have multiple teams."
    • "As a developer, I would say one of the improvements is more plugins."

What is our primary use case?

The last project I worked on with Ionic was for a popular medical company. We had to build a platform that could work in both mobile and web environments, and we chose Ionic because it allows you to do a one-code deployment to all kinds of solutions.  It was easy for us to deploy to the stores and web.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the one code deployed to all solutions, which means you do not need to have multiple teams. Your web team can be the mobile team, and it can be the iOS team. It reduces the number of overheads and the amount of cost per developer.

What needs improvement?

As a developer, I would say one of the improvements is more plugins. More plugins give you the ability to do more interactions with the framework over the library. As a user, I would say more flexibility in terms of look and feel. So far Ionic is very fluid. You might not really know, it is web-based technology. I know recently it has gone through a lot of updates, but it can also be improved and become stronger. Ionic allows you to get the best customization ever, but there is nothing like having more. The more customization you get, the easier it is for you to be able to build more quality apps.

I have been using Ionic for the past eight years.

I find Ionic to be a very stable product and is one of the reasons I have spent eight years with it.

Ionic is a scalable product because it uses web technology and web technology scales every day.

I have a direct connection with technical support. They reply quickly.

Positive

I have used Xmarian and React Native.

The initial setup of Ionic is very straightforward and easy.

Deployment depends on the type of infrastructure you are using and the type of security level attached to the deployment scope. I would say on a simple scale, it is between thirty seconds to one minute to deploy. But again depends on the security. Some people have to do a security check on the code, and some middle checks before going to deployment.

Ionic is open source, however, the enterprise solution is a paid service. If you want extra security, custom plugins, direct communication from technical support, customization, they have these services.  The entry-level cost for this is around one hundred dollars per month.

Compared to Xmarian and React Native Ionic has great user acceptance and reliability. How easy is it to get solutions if you hit a roadblock? Their customer service is very prompt. We have a direct connection with them. We can ask them questions and they reply to us or give us solutions and we are able to fix the issues very fast. The community is very stable. Their communications skills and the fact that they are updating frequently with precise and stable updates. They rely on a Google product called Angular JS to roll out their solution and it is fantastic.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Ionic a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: customer/partner
    Sattasundar Parida - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Project Engineer at Wipro Limited
    An open-sourced solution, helpful for mobile app development
    • "It's very flexible for UI development."
    • "There is a lack of a community environment."

What is our primary use case?

It's very flexible for UI development, and we use it for front-end tasks.

What is most valuable?

It supports JavaScript, Bluebird, Node.js, and Angular. Inside the Ionic Framework, if we want any control from the Angular perspective, we can include it.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack of a community environment, and the solution lacks developer opinions. One thing lacking in Ionic is community libraries that can support the Ionic Framework.

The JavaScript framework has so many steps, and if Ionic can reduce those steps, that would be great. They can easily provide those things into the core framework, which will be very good for the developers.

We have been using this solution for about three years, and it is deployed on Play Store and App Store. We started with Ionic 5.0 and are currently using Ionic 6.0.

Ionic has introduced a few more controls in new releases. It will be very helpful for mobile app development and developers.

It is very scalable. I am unsure about usage across the organization, but on my current project, we use Ionic Framework with two developers on our team.

We have used technical support. There were some issues with plugins, and they provided consoles from their official site. They initially did not respond, but we eventually got an answer. On an enterprise level, they quickly give technical support and have biometric authentication. I arranged one ticket for the enterprise-level library, and they responded quickly.

Any developer with hands-on experience or basic knowledge about the JavaScript framework can easily set it up. Anyone can connect Ionic to JavaScript or any web development.

The setup was straightforward, and they were in the command line, so we had to do a command to set up the core system. A developer can use their system on their Mac, run the application, and develop the UI and logic on the browser itself.

Ionic is open-sourced, and there are no hidden fees. So if anyone wants to use their enterprise library to support B2C auth and any biometric authentication or fingerprint, they can do that with the enterprise edition library.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. It is an easy solution and a good find. We chose Ionic because the project we are developing supports both Android and iOS. In addition, an architect and lead decided to use Ionic because it was a cross-platform framework, and they had an Angular developer at that time.

For a web developer who experiences web development like HTML, CSS, bootstrap, or any JavaScript framework, Ionic is used. It is great for those developers to develop mobile applications for Android, iOS, and PWA.

Henk Jurriens - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-founder at DayClocks
    App development platform that has made it easy to deploy builds for Apple and Android using one source code
    • "With the Capacitor feature, you have access to the native attributes of your phone such as your camera. This makes work a lot easier."
    • "In a future release, we would like to have a little more support for the desktop environment. Currently it is still focused on mobile devices."

What is our primary use case?

I didn't have the time to create applications for Android or iOS so I started using Ionic to code and deploy builds. For me, it was very easy to use. I didn't have to learn Android or Script for iOS and could use one source code for different platforms.

What is most valuable?

With the Capacitor feature, you have access to the native attributes of your phone such as your camera. This makes work a lot easier. Secondly, the Appflow feature allows us to update our application without an app store. We only need to publish releases once via Google or Apple and after that, we can push updates using Appflow.

For web developers who have previously used Angular or React, using Ionic is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Previously, Ionic didn't release many updates but they now do this every year. They have also improved their support documentation.

In a future release, we would like to have a little more support for the desktop environment. Currently it is still focused on mobile devices.

We started using this solution in 2015.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. You can use Ionic and the Capacitor to make your applications deployable to your device. You can also use the cloud from Amazon for scalability. It works perfectly together.

The customer support team are very easy to reach and they have a Discord channel so you can ask them questions and they help you very quickly.

Positive

I'm an app developer and I had some experience with native Android and when I first used Ionic, I immediately saw the potential of this solution. Web developers don't have to learn Android or other specific languages for iOS and this makes work a lot easier.

The initial setup is very easy. Deployment takes a few minutes.

You don't have to pay anything except for certain projects. For example, Appflow has some costs related to it but you don't have to use it. You can also pay for extra support.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to use the Ionic website, ionicframework.com, and start a short tutorial. If you follow the website, you can start your own small project and just practice. Later on you can create more complex applications.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Oliver Chang - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager at MasterLink Securities Corp.
    Excellent framework in web/mobile application development and it supports many languages
    • "The solution can support many languages."
    • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for its web application development. We are customers of Ionic and I'm a project manager.

What is most valuable?

This solution has several valuable features including that it supports PWA which can make you write once and build web and mobile application at the same time. That is EXCELLENT! It also allows you to choose your preferred languages, like angular, react and vue. It has good supports in mobile UI components and native APIs which you don't have to worry about native coding if you don't know about xcode or android studio. I think Ionic is the best way to get into it.

What needs improvement?

The supported document on this solution could be improved. (https://ionicframework.com/doc...)

When you look at the above doc page. There are bunch of plugin references on the left side.

And you click on any topic of them, the main page will show you only a short sample code in Angular section of the Usage Title. For React, there is always a "See here" link there. When you click on the "See here", the next page always shows camera related code in Angular section and barcode-scanner related code in React section, which is not related to the topic you clicked. BTW, Vue is always missing there.

I've been using this solution for three months.

I think the initial setup is still with some issues. Firstly, you have to install nodejs then install some other dependencies or tools. But if you used the updated version, It may have some version issues with the dependencies. The setup, the environment and the process weren't quite that smooth as you think. The better way to setup easily is to choose a stable version and follow the steps at the document.

What other advice do I have?

I have already recommended this product to my friends. I believe it's worth learning this framework because, from what I've seen so far, I think it's a very good solution for hybrid mobile application development. Especially for the web based developer and experts. It has a easiest way to build apk and ipa as well. All you have to do is to install xcode and android studio, then use them to generate the apk and ipa files. That's it! You don't need to understand the coding with xcode or android studio. I think ionic framework is an excellent product. Finally, all is FREE!!

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Karthick Sevalkumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Angular/Ionic developer at Project44
    User-friendly setup, helpful community support online, and good documentation
    • "The most valuable feature of Ionic is the ease of use and the simple connection of the applications. Additionally, the documentation is good in the Ionic application, and beginners can easily learn and download their own application using Ionic. Everyone can easily switch out, their domain, from native applications to hybrid applications."
    • "Ionic could improve in the Native mode because while we do testing it is difficult to find the root cause of problems. It could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Ionic for tracking our internal applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Ionic is the ease of use and the simple connection of the applications. Additionally, the documentation is good in the Ionic application, and beginners can easily learn and download their own application using Ionic. Everyone can easily switch out, their domain, from native applications to hybrid applications.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ionic for approximately two years.

The stability of Ionic is good.

I am the only one using Ionic in my company.

Most of the time if I have an issue with Ionic I'm receiving help from the forum, and through LinkedIn connections. I have not used the support from Ionic.

The initial setup of Ionic is simple, it is user-friendly. The full deployment only takes five minutes.

The full deployment and operations take 10 minutes when my application size is approximately 20 MB, including the building and the app signing.

Ionic is an open-source solution, it is free.

We would like to develop the applications based on the contract developed in a simple way. We don't like using Angular Studio and we can easily make my hybrid application through Ionic. In our use case, it can easily connect to Android and iOS. This is why we choose Ionic.

What other advice do I have?

It is important for those who want to use Ionic to know about the main core functionality of their application. If they are aware of this then everyone can easily build their own application using Ionic. It's not that difficult to make the application through Ionic.

I rate Ionic an eight out of ten.

Download our free Ionic Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022