Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Mendix OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mendix is #2 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms, #5 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, and #6 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give Mendix an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Mendix is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Apps: Mendix vs Microsoft Power Apps. Mendix is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Mendix Buyer's Guide

Download the Mendix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Mendix?

Mendix is a low-code application development platform that helps your organization accelerate its application development lifecycle. The solution is designed to enable you to create software faster by abstracting and automating the development process for better business outcomes at speed and scale. Mendix has many key capabilities, including a tailored IDE for every developer, built-in collaboration tools for team development, feedback management, agile project management, the ability to build a truly responsive design across devices, and much more.

Mendix Features

Mendix has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• App development
  • Version control
  • Automated testing
  • Comprehensive admin suite

Mendix Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Mendix. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Efficient and easy to learn: Mendix allows business users and developers to build and deploy sophisticated multi-channel apps with a model-driven development platform that is much more efficient and easier to learn than traditional technologies.
  • Simple and responsive UI: Mendix allows business engineers to create an optimal user experience through predefined layouts for smartphone, tablet, and desktop user interfaces.
  • Native device functions: Mendix offers out-of-the-box widgets for native device functions. Mendix developers who are building a hybrid app can easily drag and drop a widget as a building block into an app without any further coding.
  • End-to-end mobile app dev flow: Mendix supports the end-to-end mobile app development flow, which makes it simple and intuitive for any developer to build mobile apps that can be part of larger multi-channel applications integrated with back-end apps and services.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Mendix solution.

PeerSpot user Somnath G., Solution Architect and LowCode Practice Lead at a tech services company, says, "What I found most valuable in Mendix is that it's very much suitable for mobile apps such as native Android or IOS supported mobile apps. The multiple features of the platform are very, very attractive and very popular. Mendix has technical features such as microflows and nanoflows. You can also access data models in the platform. These are the features that are very, very strong in Mendix. I got my hands dirty on other low-code platforms, but I have not seen such strong features in them compared to the microflows, nanoflows, and data model access that are in Mendix, including creating and integration. The platform has out-of-the-box adapters or out-of-the-box-connectors that you can integrate with different interface applications such as SAP, Salesforce, Oracle EBS, etc."

Sameer V., Consulting Manager at Deloitte, mentions, “Their native mobile capability is very good. In general, the way they launch the product has been great. Their product launching strategy is far better than any other platform. I work in OutSystems and Mendix. They tend to be more on the legacy side, OutSystems. With this solution, the product launching strategy is very, very agile. I really like when they roll out their updates, which are very, very frequent.”

Robert B., Solutions Architect at a computer software company, explains, The solution is just very quick and responsive. The initial setup is very straightforward, and those implementing the product do not have to be very technologically advanced in order to manage the process.”

Mendix Customers

Genzyme, TNT, Yahoo, Capgemini, Roche, D&B, Aegon, kpn, AZL, Sky, Arch, Penn State Univeristy, BancABC

Mendix Video

Mendix Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Mendix pricing:
  • "Mendix is not open source, but its license cost is cheap, particularly when compared to the Appian license. The license model would depend on how many users you have and how many applications you are creating. If you are creating a single app, you just need to have a single app license, so it's free. If you want a multiple app license to cover two thousand or three thousand users, for example, internal users or external users, then you need to pay for the license. There's also a license model for above three thousand or four thousand, or five thousand internal and external users."
  • "Mendix seems a bit expensive. But in terms of wanting to have less developers and higher velocity, the total cost of ownership is fine. It's not cheap, though."
  • "Licensing costs are similar to those for all other IT technology, but they vary by region."
  • Mendix Reviews

Somnath-Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect and LowCode Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Low-code/no-code and has microflows, nanoflows, and data model access features
    • "What I found most valuable in Mendix is that it's very much suitable for mobile apps such as native Android or IOS supported mobile apps. The multiple features of the platform are very, very attractive and very popular. Mendix has technical features such as microflows and nanoflows. You can also access data models in the platform. These are the features that are very, very strong in Mendix. I got my hands dirty on other low-code platforms, but I have not seen such strong features in them compared to the microflows, nanoflows, and data model access that are in Mendix, including creating and integration. The platform has out-of-the-box adapters or out-of-the-box-connectors that you can integrate with different interface applications such as SAP, Salesforce, Oracle EBS, etc."
    • "The platform still has many areas for improvement. If I compare apples to apples, the PWA features of Mendix could be improved, for example, I wouldn't recommend creating a B2C or B2B marketplace or web portals on Mendix, but there's a tendency for people to still do it through the systems provided by my company, particularly implement B2B or B2C marketplace, versus using eBay or Shopify. On the web portal front, Mendix still needs to improve."

What is our primary use case?

My company is a service consulting company that works for different customers across the globe. When my company proposes Mendix for a low-code/no-code platform to any customer, or if the customer chooses Mendix, the license will be procured by the customer, and my company will take care of service implementation.

I use Mendix as a solution architect. I'm a low-code/no-code platform solution architect. Whenever a requirement comes to me, particularly one which demands low-code/no-code platform implementation, I use Mendix. For any B2C or B2B mobile app, or B2B or B2C web portal, any sort of headless commerce integration, or any cloud modernization, or SAP ecosystem within a customer, and the customer would like to implement a B2C mobile app, Mendix is an automatic choice because Mendix and Siemens have a very good tie-up or partnership, and it's not only from a business perspective but a technical perspective. Mendix is very much compatible with SAP. When my company sees that there is an opportunity to implement low-code/no-code, it proposes Mendix over other low-code platforms.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Mendix is that it's very much suitable for mobile apps such as native Android or IOS supported mobile apps. The multiple features of the platform are very, very attractive and very popular. Mendix has technical features such as microflows and nanoflows. You can also access data models in the platform. These are the features that are very, very strong in Mendix. I got my hands dirty on other low-code platforms, but I have not seen such strong features in them compared to the microflows, nanoflows, and data model access that are in Mendix, including creating and integration. The platform has out-of-the-box adapters or out-of-the-box-connectors that you can integrate with different interface applications such as SAP, Salesforce, Oracle EBS, etc.

Another valuable feature of Mendix is that if you want to connect with any legacy applications, you can write custom Java code because Mendix supports Java, the universal language. My company can write custom code and connect to any legacy or home grown applications for any enterprise ecosystem or IT ecosystem.

These are the strong benefits I see in Mendix.

What needs improvement?

I found some issues in Mendix. The platform still has many areas for improvement. If I compare apples to apples, the PWA features of Mendix could be improved, for example, I wouldn't recommend creating a B2C or B2B marketplace or web portals on Mendix, but there's a tendency for people to still do it through the systems provided by my company, particularly implement B2B or B2C marketplace, versus using eBay or Shopify. On the web portal front, Mendix still needs to improve.

Additional features I'd like to see in the next release of Mendix are better BPM modeling and workflow modeling, because their competitor Appian is very, very strong in workflow modeling. Workflow features could still be improved.

RPA features or automation features also need to be added to Mendix. Process Mining and AI email are also additional features that would make the platform better. All these features are offered by Appian, which is a complete package, low-code tool that's a competitor of Mendix. Adding all these features to Mendix would make it more competitive, not just over Appian, but over other similar tools as well.

I have been using Mendix for the last three years.

Mendix
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Mendix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Mendix is a stable platform. In terms of stability, I'm rating it eight out of ten.

Mendix is a scalable platform. You can scale it up anytime. The platform provides you with much flexibility, and my rating for it in terms of scalability is nine out of ten.

As a premium partner of Mendix, my company is constantly in touch with technical support, plus the Alliance team of Mendix. I am very well connected with the Mendix Alliance team. I find the technical support for Mendix very, very helpful and supportive. Whenever I reach out to the different Alliance people from any geography, I get prompt responses and I find the team very, very helpful.

We are working with different low-code/no-code products, not just Mendix. We have in our practice multiple low-code platforms. We are not only working with Mendix. We are working with our systems such as Hancock and Appian.

The initial setup for Mendix was straightforward. You just have to download Mendix Studio Pro if you are using a desktop computer, and you can create your app very easily. If you are using the cloud version, for example, Mendix cloud or any other cloud, especially as any other cloud is hosting Mendix, it's really easy to access the developer. All partners develop the portal access where Studio and Studio Pro are enabled for my company, so my team can work on any cloud-based application. Setting up Mendix was very easy.

The deployment of Mendix was done in-house. Deployment was not complicated compared to any other local platform. Deployment was very easy. Mendix has cloud architecture for different clouds such as  GCP, AWS, Microsoft Azure, and even SAP Cloud. You just need to follow and you can deploy your Mendix components on cloud-native architecture.

Mendix is not open source, but its license cost is cheap, particularly when compared to the Appian license. The license model would depend on how many users you have and how many applications you are creating. If you are creating a single app, you just need to have a single app license, so it's free. If you want a multiple app license to cover two thousand or three thousand users, for example, internal users or external users, then you need to pay for the license. There's also a license model for above three thousand or four thousand, or five thousand internal and external users. Internal users are the developers who will create different applications using Mendix, while external users are the customers.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I'm using Mendix. I'm heading the factories of my company low-code/no-code, and my company has Mendix as a local platform in the portfolio, apart from other platforms such as Appian, Hancock, etc. I'm using the latest version of Mendix, but I started with the basic version of Mendix when the platform was newly rolled out, particularly when it was just being offered to partners.

My company has a premier partnership with Mendix, so it has access to the Mendix private cloud. The solution is deployed on a private cloud.

My company has two hundred low-code practitioners using Mendix.

Before advising other people looking into using Mendix, I would check first if he or she is a single developer or a pro developer. A single developer is a business user. Mendix as a tool is very, very suitable for a single developer, for business users who have very little knowledge of programming language, so a single developer can create a quick app out of Mendix.

For a pro developer, or someone already hands-on in terms of different programming languages such as Java, .NET, etc., Mendix could be a piece of cake. For a small shop that needs a small application, the business user or single developer can create small applications, but for a midsize organization or a large enterprise organization, you need pro developers who are hands-on with different programming languages, so a single developer cannot build the app for an enterprise or a midsize organization.

If it's a first-timer pro developer using Mendix, it's a low-code/no-code tool, so he or she doesn't have to bother about the programming language. Mendix provides a visual ID or a visual model, so the pro-developer can just drag and drop based on the programming concept. Through Mendix, the pro developer can also work on the front end, UI forms, and also configure the microflows and nanoflows, and also configure out-of-the-box connectors to connect with different enterprise applications. Mendix is a very easy platform for pro developers.

My rating for Mendix is nine out of ten. It's a pure-play low-code platform, so ideally a low-code platform has some fundamental features, and Mendix has that. It's very much suitable for creating a mobile app, for example, a B2B or B2C mobile app. I recommend it to any customer for their B2C or B2B mobile applications. Any enterprise customer that has a SAP India ecosystem and seeking low-code/no-code platform implementation should go for Mendix.

Private Cloud

Other
    Sameer Verma - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consulting Manager at Deloitte
    Low-code, helpful support, and great native mobile capability
    • "They are leading in the smart manufacturing, and connectivity space."
    • "There is always a layer of custom code required."

What is our primary use case?

We build various products or solutions for clients. It's mainly smart manufacturing use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability to reduce the code, and the development, has been a very drastic improvement over custom code. The ability to have these vast amounts of connectors, which Mendix provides, especially in the manufacturing space, is great. For example, with OPC UA protocols, I have not seen any other low-code provider. That's very niche to pull machine data. That shows how much R&D investment they have done to build some complex connectors to simplify the user need.

What is most valuable?

They are leading in the smart manufacturing, and connectivity space. The integration they have built-in is great. No one else has gone that far.

What needs improvement?

There is always a layer of custom code required. There is a misconception of low-code, or Mendix, or the industry in general. They are perceived as more of a dashboarding tool, and as a visualization platform only, rather than building a complete enterprise solution. That's more of an awareness marketing challenge they have, or the industry has.

In general, AI needs to be better. The team and the company is running ahead with this a bit more. AI area is something which companies have started to pick up on, low-code wise, and they should invest in it more.

I would like to see their data hub module become a little bit more mature.

They need to expand their base as the concept is amazing. We just need to see more use cases and learn more capabilities there, and then definitely they need to fill in the AI piece of it.

I've been using the solution for the last 12 months.

As a platform, in terms of stability, I like it. It is a very well-architected platform. After the Siemens acquisition, Siemens actually put a lot of money into it, the UI, to improve the solution and filled a lot of gaps.

Right now, if any company or client asks me for a low-code solution in Industry 4.0 space, I would just say, "You don't have to spend money on doing an assessment. Mendix is your go-to." If a client wants to do financial services, this and that, yeah, we can do assessments. We'll figure it out, whatever they need, however, in the manufacturing space, Mendix has found a niche and no one is beating them in that area yet.

With platforms, you really need to figure out what all the platforms are capable of. They cannot do, for example, in the manufacturing space, machine data. They can show the machine data, however, they cannot store it.

In general, they have capabilities where they limit themselves, intentionally.

We have internal and external users. On the manufacturing side, Manufacturing companies usually have use cases that will have more internal users versus external, which means they are dealing with factory workers. Per factory, in that case, you may have 50 to 100 people. We've built apps for an average of 100 to 200 users per factory.

We are going full-scale on Mendix right now. The way I've seen the other products, anywhere where we have manufacturing and SAP side of the product coming in, we are proposing Mendix. We are pushing Mendix 100%.

We've dealt with technical support. We have someone in the UK that helps us. We have a US team, too, who works with us, however, they work as one team. They have a global team and we get support anytime we want in terms of troubleshooting, client issues, setup, very complex on-prem IT, OT problems, et cetera. They were able to help us out.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have done projects both on Mendix and OutSystems.

It's debatable, however, Mendix is my first choice, as, if you have asked me the same question that you asked me for OutSystems, I would have given a little bit of a lower rating in terms of how they operate. I have less trust due to my dealing or interaction with their customer support, their leadership, and all those things.

The initial setup is very easy. There is nothing to do. The setup in development environment capabilities, which they provide, is a very niche capability, which I have not seen anywhere - not even in OutSystems, for example. They don't have it. The business users are more involved here.

I'd rate the ease of setup five out of five. However, if you're trying to install this in an on-prem environment, it is a hassle on its own for integration. We are not talking about integration. We are talking about just the initial setup.

The length of deployment depends on the problem the company is solving, the use case, and a bunch of different things around it. It varies.

For one company we work with, we can build our own connectors, private connectors. We did that in hardly three to four weeks, which that company itself could not do on its own. A lot of things are available in the background, however, if we decide we want to do something a certain way, we'll just build it that way.

With a low-code environment, traditionally, you need fewer people to maintain everything. You only need one person to do the external integration, for example. You need one person who can do custom UI development for sure, as for any project you hit, you will have 30% custom development, for sure.

IF you have a team of five, where three are purely Mendix developers and two are full-stack developers, they can deliver anything. It's not like SAP where you need specifically SAP people to handle everything.

We are able to handle the implementation process ourselves. We have a consulting in-house development team.

We can show an ROI. We are able to, on the factory floor, go and understand what all the needs of the clients are. We can see the manual operations they do, and try to very quickly convert them into a mobile app or an iPad or some application and give it to them. With the turnaround time very quick here, it helps save costs.

The solution can get expensive. A single simple application can start at $50,000. That's approximately the total cost of ownership. If you just quote on a single app without any support, they can even go as low as $30,000 to $40,000, however, you need a minimum amount of detail including minimum support and packages. This is an annual cost. While the app is free, you end up paying for more resources.

That said, it is pretty competitive. I'd rate it 4.5 out of five.

What other advice do I have?

We have a cloud version, hosted on AWS, and an on-prem solution as well.

I would advise others to not buy it blindly. Figure out the use case first. Do the cost-benefit analysis as the running cost of a low-code platform is a little bit higher, too.

They support startups, too, however, it might become expensive for them.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Alliance Partner - Please do not include any negative comments about the people of OutSystems in question 18
    Mendix
    September 2022
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Robert Bloss - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Responsive with a straightforward setup and good online training
    • "There are free online learning and certifications if a user would like to learn more and better understand the solution."
    • "There's no direct tech support."

What is our primary use case?

In our biggest project to date, we replicated with somebody else. It took three years to do uncompleted, and we replicated it in about six months, to build an end-to-end application for customer use.

Traditionally, it's basically used for anything where there's not an out-of-the-box solution available. We don't recommend people use it for out-of-box solutions, as you're typically going to get better support and value by using something else. This, on the other hand, is something you can customize as you desire.

What is most valuable?

The solution is just very quick and responsive.

Their app store has been revamped in the last year, and it allows basically anybody who creates a widget or a module inside of it, to share it with the whole community. It's got a very, very robust shared community, which is amazing.

What needs improvement?

There's a new update coming soon, and that will be full of great items.

It's not so much that there's room for improvement on the product. They're creating some custom or some out-of-the-box modules that are going to be a part of it. In particular, they've got a workflow module that we could replicate-build ourselves, so to speak. It's probably a module that would take a couple of months, and then you can tweak it. To have that out-of-the-box potential for certain aspects is going to be really good. Having all that workflow prebuilt will be amazing.

There's no direct tech support. However, it's not the type of product you really would get tech support on.

I've been dealing with the solution for two years at this point.

We haven't had any issues with it. Internally, we support a very large infrastructure and haven't headed any issues, and our three larger clients haven't had any issues at this point. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

It's only scalable vertically until you get to an enterprise license. Then, you have horizontal and vertical scalability. I'd recommend in general that people get an enterprise license.

We use it internally for maybe 400 of our employees, however, depending on what its use case is, it could be everybody. My largest one has 4,000 people they supply using it.

The solution doesn't offer technical support at all. There is a community around it, however, and it is quite robust. That's where we do most of our learning.

The solution is very straightforward, due to the fact that it's all cloud-based infrastructure, and there's low-end stuff that a citizen developer could do pretty easily. For our onboarding, if we have new developers, people who were actually back with their schooling, compared to some other products, and typically they're on their own doing development within one month of starting training. This is compared to some of our more complex solutions. They may be shadowing and have oversight for six to seven months. The onboarding process to learn it is very, very quick. Therefore, a company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup.

In terms of maintenance, we have a person on the team that creates a backlog of small work to do once a month, and that's it. There are no updates, or new deploying, or anything like that that is necessary.

In terms of ROI, the results totally depend on the client. With one particular client, it was much more about time. They had 4,000 people that have to submit documents, and they were submitting them in PDF, and having people transcribe them. They had no digital, and so they're changing everything. One of our other big ones, which is a public use case on Mendix's site, called Zmac, was shown last year, while the trucking industry was in decline, to have experienced over 20% growth. They had ROI in year one, for five years worth of costs.

Their licensing costs are on their website. It's easy to find out the overall costs. That being said, I'm under the impression they're getting ready to have a massive overhaul to that, which is going to be a really good thing for the customers.

From what I understand, they're getting ready to move to a lower platform cost, and it's going to be more focused on the users in terms of how the cost is. That should offer a lower entry threshold than it is currently. It may be as much as 50% lower, and the user base is what their charge will be based on.

What other advice do I have?

I work post-sales doing basically project management and solution design before it hits my developers.

We use a variety of different versions of the solution which we use. Mostly, it's version 8.3 on. That being said, if it's a new customer, they're going to have the most recent. If it's not, we update them as appropriate depending on how it's going to affect the existing environment. We're looking forward to 9.0, coming out this month actually. They're discussing a lot of good, new features we're excited about.

I'd recommend those considering the solution to take the classes, as they're worth it to make sure you understand the solution. It is all online learning. The other program we use with it has been extremely effective for us. There's a program called Datadog and it helps us monitor any kind of error logging at a much more granular level, which has been helpful in pinpointing anything that potentially comes up.

In general, on the platform overall, I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten, and on the pricing model, as it is now, at an eight out of ten. In general, for me, it falls currently at a nine out of ten. That may change once the pricing is adjusted in the near future.

Hardy-Jonck - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at AgileWorks Information Systems
    Low-code platform with good development tools
    • "The most valuable features are the decorative style, model-driven development, and the fact that Mendix validates flows. Mendix is quick to develop because it's a low-code platform. It's very robust, flexible, open, and scalable. It's for a low-code customer. The tooling is also really good and it has mobile capabilities."
    • "An improvement I would like to see is the ability to version manage independent modules. Their version management for software repositories must be better. It's good and you can do it, but it needs work."

What is our primary use case?

We have very broad use cases for Mendix. We use it for internal applications and writing customer applications. We create advanced omnichannel telephony and CRM apps and even have Mendix apps that will be considered big-data apps, like our IoT solution in Agriculture.

We use Mendix to solve classical business problems, Risk solutions in fintech, Call Center apps, data processing, and used it to solve product development challenges that work well with rapid application processing for new product development. We do both new product development and also full largescale production systems on Mendix. We have solutions deployed on the cloud and on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

We respond much quicker to challenges, our clients are more profitable and our staff love the opportunity to model and not write boring repetitive code.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features in Mendix is its declarative model-driven development capabilities. Declarative development is important for the future of business software development; it allows us to rapidly model solutions without having to tell the computer how to do the basics. It allows us to focus on rich business logic rather than spending time managing boring technical details as is required with classical imperative development.

Mendix helps reduce the total cost of ownership: It validates workflows and system flows and this saves significant time when developing and maintaining apps. Refactoring is much easier in Mendix and done with more confidence.

Mendix apps are relatively quick to develop because it is a low-code platform. It's very robust, flexible, open, and scalable. It's for a low-code savvy customer. The tooling is also really good and it has good mobile app development capabilities with a platform suited to integration and publishing app services.

So in a nutshell, valuable features: Mendix declarative modelling, finely-grained security model, easy data modelling, easy app integration, tooling, validation, mobile development features, ease of debugging, extensibility and attention to detail of the Mendix core team.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see is the ability to version manage modules and not just the app. We need finer-grained version management for software repositories. Version management is good but it needs more work.

Also, because of the licensing model, Mendix apps are too monolithic. It would be great to have a microservices licensing model that works well for microservices especially designed to work with Kafka, Google Pub/Sub and streaming technologies.

We need much better code refactoring tools, like IntelliJ but for Mendix. For example, if I wanted to maintain all projects and refactor Domain model fields in bulk, it would be good to have intelligent renaming across the whole model with regular expression syntax. The modeller is too clickety-click.

The most important feature I'd like to see is support for is first-rate JSON Schema support and first-rate GraphQL support. Of course, the Modeller must run on Mac, not Windows.

Lastly, the licensing model does not scale well with many users. This is a huge problem as apps that have many users become very expensive and can kill the business case. Mendix is reasonably negotiable but it's a pain to deal with the licensing for each new project.

I have been working with Mendix for 10+ years.

The stability is very good. This is low hassle, low maintenance technology. We write systems for clients on Mendix and the few support issues we've gotten have been quick to fix. The performance is excellent.

This product is scalable and it's relatively easy to scale. Because of its architecture, it can't scale like microservices that are designed for scaling across the globe, but Mendix has some horizontal and vertical scaling built in. It's not on the same level that you would get with a native cloud first node app. It's a little bit more limited, but there are still scaling options.

I would say they're good, but I've never encountered a software vendor with excellent support.

We tried others and settled on Mendix.

The initial setup was simple. It's not difficult to do yourself.

We implemented through an in-house team. There are six people in my company working with Mendix.

High, we do more with highly skilled engineers and love the speed of app development, especially the lower cost of maintaining apps over longer periods.

Mendix seems expensive. But with Mendix, one needs fewer developers to achieve high velocity, and if your environment can achieve that, then the total cost of ownership is fine. It's not cheap, though and not all projects will benefit unless one has a bulk licensing agreement.

This product is licensed per application, per user. Mendix has other features you can access with a separate license, like Data Hub, but the base license has more than most people need.

Mendix needs much better React component/widget writing compatibility. it is still more difficult than it should be to add your own components.

Lastly, Low Code Tools are weak at developing multi-tenant apps. One quickly loses the speed advantage and running many apps gets too expensive and a maintenance hassle as these apps tend to be monolithic, partly due to licensing.

Yes, Outsystems but we much preferred Mendix's non-code generating style.  Model Driven Development needs to run a model. We also did not like the licensing model of Outsystems.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a nine out of ten. If you consider adopting Mendix, rather build a new culture and a new team. Do not just try and use legacy software developers who are passionate about older technologies. Use Mendix adoption as an opportunity to integrate business and IT; build new teams that are supported by first-rate software engineers AND new business engineers who can focus on understanding both business and IT. This allows one to model the business, understand the business, and develop the right software.

Mendix is excellent for innovation. Whenever one has an opportunity for new product development, it's an excellent choice.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Jaroslav Krecek - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Product Manager at Deutsche Börse
    Intuitive and can likely scale but needs more AI integration
    • "We find it intuitive and easy to use."
    • "There are not enough developers who are using Mendix. The knowledge base available online and in the market is not as rich as other competitors."

What is our primary use case?

One use case which we're thinking about at the moment is for a clearing platform for security clearing for risk assessment on margin accounts. It happens from time to time that there is a situation called margin call, which is basically a process where one of our operators from the risk unit behind securities needs to get more money or more assets from the client who owns the margin account.

At the moment, the process is that they have a spreadsheet or checklist in digital form and they go through a highly governed process. They follow a printed-out or virtual copy step-by-step. At each step, they're getting a sign-off and a peer review of each step by a peer in the risk department and it takes forever. It's a lot of admin.

The Mendix base automation is basically replacing this document, this checklist. It just makes it much more helpful as all this has to happen within an hour, that call and getting assets, for example.

The company is massive and each use case is very different, however, at the moment, those tend to be small processes and trying to cut down the administration, which normally means writing documents, archiving files, scanning documents, that kind of thing, which people currently do manually.

What is most valuable?

We like Mendix a lot. In terms of technology, it is really good.

We find it intuitive and easy to use.

We are quite happy with the solution and look forward to moving to the cloud. We have it hosted in the Docker systems on-prem. When we move to the cloud, we can see that it will be simple.

What needs improvement?

We specifically want version control of whatever we deploy in the production. However, with Mendix, unfortunately, storing things in binary is quite a lot. If you put it into Github and stuff like that, we'd like it to be a text type of source code rather than binary.

In terms of workflow automation, local automation, they should focus on integrating AI modules. Many companies are trying to build their own models, however, if you compare with how much learning Google has done on their Google models, it makes sense to go for integrations rather than starting from scratch with teaching your AI. That's roughly how we see the domain of RPA and local automation platforms.

The integration or making use of some artificial intelligence and models which are out there could be a lot better. There should be some kind of marketplace.

The user interface styling is a bit tricky. It's got a restrictive and highly sophisticated styling which could be better.

We put the solution into production about a year ago now.

We have a new platform, which we put into production about half a year ago, and we had an initial 10 sort-of automated processes on top of it at the moment. It's going to grow, obviously. That's the idea.

So far, we are happy with the potential it has for scaling, although in practice we have not yet tried.

We haven't yet had to reach out to technical support and therefore I can't speak to how responsive or knowledgeable they are at this time.

For Mendix, we're not using any kind of collaboration tools or deployment which Mendix provides as we have our own tools and deployment and task management and risk management right inside our organization. We're not going to jump from one tool to another. Just because we have Mendix code, we're not going to use its deployment. We are using current tools, which are established in the enterprise.

It's important that Mendix stays flexible in terms of source code, in terms of deployment, and that it doesn't lock things down. If, for example, there would be a restriction suddenly on which kind of deployment mechanism can be used, then that would cut some customers out. That goes through the approval of risk management. Risk management is very important when you're deploying to production.

We use our own in-house team and tools for implementation purposes.

At the moment, we are using Blue Prism for RPA. We are using also Mendix for the workflow, which is not quite RPA. We're combining those two. We do have an eye on UiPath due to the fact that, in the last year, we're feeling that Blue Prism is falling behind the competition at the moment.

We did look at other tools, however, it wasn't me who did that. It was about two and a half years ago. There was a lot of research on everything on the market. Honestly, I don't know why they picked Mendix, however, they were clearly a strong candidate. Looking at Gartner shows it's a very strong candidate. I was quite surprised that it doesn't have a bigger clientele.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user.

We're not using the latest version of the solution, however, we're going to upgrade to the latest one. In Mendix, we're using 8.9, however, we're now going to upgrade soon as some of our teams have just started using later libraries, and obviously, that needs upgrading.

We're heavily governed and our governance processes and approvals for cloud take forever. We have these automations deployed on-premise. Both Blue Prism and Mendix are hosted internally and will be for a number of years. We want to go cloud, however, first, we need to get our internal approvals in order.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's one of the best which we touched and we're still happy with it. However, dealing in binary makes me deduct a few points.

Marjolein Pordon - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Test Analyst at Squerist
    Easy to set up and good for testing and micro services
    • "The initial setup is easy."
    • "Mendix needs to think about itself offering machine learning and artificial intelligence."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for small applications - not for an extensive system. We use it more as if we had a quick prototype needed or some small application for one department. If one department needs some application or customization of an application, then we use Mendix, so it's more for small things than big things.

What is most valuable?

The one feature that I like best yet, which also makes it complicated, is the microservices. They are really what sets Mendix apart from other platforms.

Since my company also works with Menditect, which makes a test automation tool for Mendix, we are quite involved. My coworkers also leverage Mendix. We really like that it's usable for test automation since not all platforms can due to no unique IDs and things like that. With Mendix, we can use the platform very easily for test automation.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

Mendix needs to think about itself offering machine learning and artificial intelligence. That's going to be the future.

I really like that they're already working on new features. Nevertheless, to really be on top of things, they will need to do more in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

I’ve used Mendix for a short period of time - maybe half a year. OutSystems I’ve used a little bit longer.

It’s definitely stable for small applications. With bigger applications, you really need to look into servers and make sure that you also have that setup right. Mendix can also help you with that, so they have a community that can help you set up the right things.

The solution can scale.

Of course, you need to do things for that yourself. It's not that Mendix has it in its platform. It gives you options to help you with your scalability. However, you need to do quite a lot for yourself as well.

I'm working for a test company and we work with quite a few clients. We have seven clients that use Mendix.

For us, technical support was very good. Sometimes I hear that people have other experiences. however, for us, our experience was excellent. When we called or when we had a question, they helped.

The community is very good as well. If you go to their website, you will see that they have a community that can help answer questions. If you ask a question there, people will answer and help you. The support in that is great.

At the moment, I am using OutSytems.

For small applications, it definitely is easy to set up. From my coworkers, I understand if you want bigger applications, it's harder to adapt. However, that's what we see with all the local platforms.

I also worked on another platform where deployment could easily take hours. Yet, with Mendix, it was minutes. That was really good. It’s so fast.

We did the deployment ourselves. We handled the development, testing, acceptance, and the full lifecycle in-house, and we did the deployment ourselves. That was agreeable to everyone.

I wouldn't know about the exact pricing as we are so-called “hired help” and we have no influence on licenses. We also do not have a license of our own. We use our client’s license if they use Mendix. Therefore, I can’t speak to the costs involved in having it.

What other advice do I have?

I am just the software tester. So, I test the quality of applications built in Mendix. So, I do not sell. I am just a very enthusiastic user.

I’m not sure which version I am using and if it is the latest or not.

I would recommend potential new users start with an assessment on what they really need the application to do and then see if Mendix can really help and if it's applicable for their application. Mendix can be used for many things. However, there are a few best uses and also some that are not so compatible with Mendix. A new company must first make sure before they start to understand if Mendix fits the needs.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten.

Mohammed Sulty - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Consultant at Palmira
    Has good integration and UI customization
    • "The most valuable features are the integration and UI customization."
    • "There needs to be an increase in the number of the UI components."

What is our primary use case?

We do not use the solution, but manage Mendix's process. We are partnered with Mendix and implement it within the organization, something practiced with prevalence in the UAE. Those making use of the solution are happy with it.

The Ministry of Digital Economy in Jordan, which is responsible for managing the service portfolio of the Jordanian government, is wholly based on our Mendix application.

How has it helped my organization?

I can tell you how Mendix has improved my organization by discussing the projects with which I am already working. The old service portfolio is based on a Mendix workflow and system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integration and UI customization.

What needs improvement?

While it is difficult for me to address which areas of the solution are in need of improvement, as I manage Mendix projects, but do not utilize them, I would point out the transformation of the BPM and the process with other applications. This is because the applications are conceptually what we need, as they concern the RPA Automation Anywhere and UiPath.

Mendix has the potential to redesign its process engine for compatibility with a BPMN tool without any further action being required, enabling seamless integration between the business processes design applications.

As mentioned, there needs to be an increase in the number of the UI components so that other platforms will not be used in place of the UI interface of Mendix, such as Angular.

Improvements should be made to the functionality to increase the number of UI components in the actual software. As such, we occasionally go outside the system to develop certain pages in React, Angular or Vue JS, which we then import to Mendix. This we do because of the limitation in the UI design, but it is not on par with what's happening, for example, with OutSystems or other tools.

The solution is stable. The most important entities utilize it, such as the Dubai Municipality in the United Arab Emirates and the Ministry of Digital Economy in Jordan. This has more than 5,000 services deployed in the system, around 2,000 of which utilize Mendix and OutSystems. We have had no complaints about stability, only of ordinary issues involving use of the system that entail errors or call for troubleshooting.

The Dubai Municipality makes use of Mendix, as well as five out of 40 ministries. They have transferred their core applications to Mendix in their entirety. The remainder are in a transitional phase and this should be completed throughout the entire government of Jordan within five to six years.

The maintenance contract between the entity and Mendix provides for multiple levels of support, similar to the circumstances existing with ARIS. As mentioned, I rate Mendix as an eight out of ten, because there occasionally occur delays in its adherence to the SLA. However, the solution's tech support tries to be helpful and responsive and to do so in a comparable manner.

Installing the solution took from five to 10 days to ensure proper integration with, say, the active directory and other tools for data migration.

We handled the deployment.

Licensing costs are similar to those for all other IT technology, but they vary by region. As such, the United States, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Jordan all have disparate licensing costs, even when it comes to the partners involved. We, for example, are entitled to a 50 to 60 percent  discount on licensing costs, whereas Jordan may be entitled to one of 90 percent. This makes it challenging to properly appraise the cost. ARIS is similar. The average price varies according to region, Jordan being entitled to a 50 percent discount over that of the UAE.

Mendix's support is far superior to that of OutSystems and more competitively priced.

What other advice do I have?

While I can't say exactly which version of Mendix we are using, I can state that it is the latest one.

The business analyst has a more important role than that of the developer in a Mendix project. He needs a proper understanding of how to design the Mendix process so it may be automatable and executable. The business analyst must be able to use a Mendix platform.

As Mendix needs to improve its product and support, I rate it as an eight out of ten.

Principle Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Great user experience and fast development speed by UX capabilities are lacking
    • "The user experience is great."
    • "I struggle with solutions like Mendix in terms of creating enterprise solutions."

What is our primary use case?

The one big use case for one of the clients was to do a legacy organization. If they were on Java, we were trying to move to Mendix.

Use cases for PO approval, invoice approval, creating a better user experience for the user, or digital decoupling would be covered. Where you try to keep your core systems like SAP or PDM, PLM system as the core, you don't want to bring too much change in those for the use cases.

What is most valuable?

The user experience is great. Creating the user experience is fast and the development speed is excellent.

What needs improvement?

I struggle with solutions like Mendix in terms of creating enterprise solutions. When I say enterprise solutions I mean enterprise-grade solutions. Let's say if I create an application on Mendix and I want to roll it out to multiple countries, that kind of thing I can do with Mendix. I'll have to copy it. That's hard to do at an enterprise level which can be quite sizeable. I'm not sure how well it scales.

The setup itself can be complex and difficult.

The UX capacity is lacking.

I'm not sure how well the workflow capabilities will hold up.

I've used the solution for probably about a year.

I have not had that kind of experience where I can make a statement on the stability of the platform. I don't know whether it is stable or not, as I did not work very deep on the platform in a live setting.

Looking at the architecture, scalability is going to be a challenge. I was part of the program, which I could not finish as I left the company. Yeah. Scalability-wise, I do see the technical approach that platform offers. Scalability will always be a question mark for me. I don't have data to prove whether it is not scalable. However, I am aware that it will be a challenge to scale.

There are two types of scalability we're talking about. One is putting more and more and more and more processes on top of Mendix. That should not be a challenge. However, taking one process, taking one application, and scaling it to multiple countries, is where I see this platform struggling. However, with the cloud version, scaling may be simpler.

I have no experience with the technical support I cannot speak to how helpful they would be.

My portfolio had Mendix, OutSystems, Pega, Appian, Bizagi, and on the RPA side, UiPath, Blue Prism, and Automation Anywhere, and all the cognitive technologies like AI and ML. My responsibility was to create solutions and take them to the client. And then, the team will take care of technical design and implementation.

The solution can be complex to set up. Design-wise, I wouldn't say it is hard. However, you do have a lot of work to do. When you create a solution that needs to be rolled out to many countries, it gets complex.

I have no visibility in terms of the cost of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are at the initial stages of setting up a partnership with Mendix.

I was not involved in the technical part. I was leading as a principal architect. My responsibility was to come up with a strategic technical design, and we handed it over to the team, depending on which platform a customer would take.

I'd advise potential new users to look at the UX capability. They promise too much. Therefore, be careful with the UX capability, as generally, all these platforms struggle in that area. Look at what they offer and what you need.

Be careful with the workflow capability, as it's new, so it will have its own challenges, and look out for the scalability of the platform.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.