Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is #2 ranked solution in top Database Security tools. PeerSpot users give Imperva SecureSphere Database Security an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is most commonly compared to IBM Security Guardium Data Protection: Imperva SecureSphere Database Security vs IBM Security Guardium Data Protection. Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Imperva SecureSphere Database Security?

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security:

• Audits all access to sensitive data.
  • Alerts or blocks database attacks and unauthorized activities, in real time.
  • Detects and virtually patches database vulnerabilities.
  • Identifies excessive user rights and dormant users, and enables a complete rights review cycle.
  • Accelerates incident response and forensics investigations with advanced analytics.
Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Customers

BlueCross BlueShield, eHarmony, EMF Broadcasting, GE Healthcare, Metro Bank, The Motley Fool, Siemens

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Video

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Imperva SecureSphere Database Security pricing:
  • "Its pricing could be cheaper for the African countries or developing economies. The British pound is valued way more than the currency of most African countries. A better or cheaper pricing model for Nigerian and African customers would be better. It has a per-year subscription model. You pay exactly for what you need. That's all. You don't have to buy what you don't need."
  • "It is quite expensive. We wanted it in my former organization, but the price was very high. So, we couldn't purchase it. I moved to a different organization, and this organization has purchased it."
  • "Imperva SecureSphere Database Security was quite expensive several years ago, but now they provide a subscription plan for licensing. It is available now for smaller and medium-sized companies, not only large enterprises."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable. The cost of the solution depends on the customer, they have the flex protect licensing which can vary in price."
  • Imperva SecureSphere Database Security Reviews

Derrick Akankwasa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber Security Engineer at Isolutions Associates Ltd (ISOLS)
    Great discovery module feature; scans and blocks whatever is necessary
    • "The discovery module provides good visibility."
    • "Reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are banks and insurance and financial institutions that want to achieve compliance. They want to achieve auditing for their regulatory compliances as well. On the database side, that includes being able to monitor DBS and to block certain activities on the DVF. On the application side, it also has to be preventative and that's also part of compliance. This solution enables clients to achieve data security, whether on cloud or on prem. We offer support services and we are a service provider for database security through Imperva and also application security through Imperva to our clients. I'm a cyber security engineer and we are gold partners of SecureSphere DS.

What is most valuable?

I would say the discovery module is the most valuable feature as it provides good visibility of the database environment to particular sites. It scans the entire front of the environment to detect any new databases found just to make sure there are not any malicious things going on. I think it's a very powerful tool in that sense. It also helps that the solution is able to block queries that are able to be run by given database administrators on databases and manages user rights.

What needs improvement?

I've been part of various projects and also interact with clients because I do pre-sales. Most of the feedback I receive relates to clients wanting to see an improvement in the reporting. They like the ability and functionality of the solution but they feel the reporting is lacking. The general feeling is also that the GUI has been the same for a very long time and there is room for improvement there. It could look a little better and then if the reports are also improved that would make a big difference all round.

From a basic implementation point of view, there are some features that are very technical, clients want everything very granular and they always say Imperva bundles everything. You do a signature, and ABC updates and you trust what the ABC is doing. I think if it were a little more granular and detailed in terms of how, for example, a query stream is being detected or something like that, rather than just blocking something, it would give the administrator a better view and understanding of what's happening.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Imperva SecureSphere Database Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The physical appliances are always very stable. In terms of CPU usage, things like the gateway load, payway load, they come with a little bit more capacity on that front. I think the issue always comes with the virtual appliances where you may run out of space, or maybe there are new versions of whichever hypervisor you are running that could change and maybe affect the virtual machines running on top. On the physical side, there's never an issue, it's stable.

Database security is highly scalable because depending on the number of sites available, you're able to assume that you have the running agent. You can then access the IP for the gateway, you can log in your logs which are managed by the NX, so it's all fine. It's highly scalable for the database. I think even if you have branches all over the country, you can manage them centrally where you have agents monitoring whichever database is allocated to whichever site. We have deployed over 60 projects all over East Africa. I currently handle four, which are two application and two database.

Their technical support is good and the response is guaranteed until the problem is solved. I think when it comes to response time, it's always very quick. Maybe just one simple criticism would be that it's very hard to get a remote station with them and everything is always email and sending logs. I'd like to see more hands-on and direct contact with the environment.

Complexity really depends on the client's environment, but I would say the initial set up for basic deployment of the components should take roughly six working days. It has to be integrated with everything. Installing links to all the other databases could take maybe another 10 work days, so around two weeks. I do the deployment.

Customers are very, very satisfied with the licensing costs and there's not really anyone that competes with Imperva so the clients are very happy. Their requirements are covered.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Imperva. I swear on it and try to pitch Imperva every time. I know its abilities, I know what you're going to get. I know how user friendly it is. It's easy to create policies. Reports are very okay. It's got various compatibilities, desk deployment, so Imperva is what I would recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Manager - IT Security
    A straightforward solution for compliance, security, and visibility over data access
    • "There are three major main use cases of this solution. The first one is to fulfill compliance regulations. Customers—especially the banks, health sector, and manufacturing—need to comply with the regulations in different countries. They have to fulfill compliance regulations around the privacy of data. In order to fulfill those requirements, they're using Imperva. It helps them to fulfill these requirements, and they are not fined by the regulators. That is the first use case why people buy Imperva."
    • "They can maybe look at its pricing model. Its pricing could be cheaper for the African countries or developing economies."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the product manager for Imperva in Africa for a distributor. I manage it every day, but I don't personally use it. We sell Imperva to customers in 17 countries.

Its deployment depends on the customer. Some customers have their databases in the cloud, and if they have them in the cloud, we give them the cloud database security of Imperva. If their database is on-premises, then we deploy it on-premises, and the reseller implements the solution on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The second one is for security itself. They don't want a cybercriminal to have access to the data. Imperva is a security solution, and you can use it to block unauthorized access to your data.

The third one is related to rightful access to the data. They want to know:

• Who has access to the data internally?
    • What queries were being issued on the database?
    • What time did they log in?
    • What is going on within the environment?
    • Who is touching the data?
    • What are they doing with the data internally?

Customers or organizations want to have access or have visibility into all these.

What needs improvement?

They can maybe look at its pricing model. Its pricing could be cheaper for the African countries or developing economies.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very scalable. If a customer wants it for five database servers, he gets licenses for five database servers. Tomorrow, if they want licenses for two extra databases, they can just buy the extra two licenses. It is very scalable and very straightforward.

Their support is fantastic. It is 24/7. You raise a ticket, and you get someone assigned to you immediately.

I would rate them a five out of five. In a worst-case scenario, it would be a four, but it's always very straightforward. We get a very quick response.

It is very easy and very straightforward. There are no complications.

Its pricing could be cheaper for the African countries or developing economies. The British pound is valued way more than the currency of most African countries. A better or cheaper pricing model for Nigerian and African customers would be better.

It has a per-year subscription model. You pay exactly for what you need. That's all. You don't have to buy what you don't need.

What other advice do I have?

It is very straightforward. It is probably the best solution out there in terms of data security. About 90% to 95% of the banks in Nigeria use Imperva. When you have such a success story in Nigeria, Ghana, and of course, many other African countries, you can be sure that you are getting a very good solution.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mangalik Pal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Security Engineer at SNSIN
    Easy to set up with good audit features and good performance
    • "The audit feature is great. It is totally encrypted."
    • "Some cloud versions are not supported by the agent."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is for database services, security purposes, and access capabilities. In DAM, we cannot use inline mode due to the blocking that is there. Details can be shared and accessed to see, for example, information about the DB, who's using it, its applications, et cetera. There are all kinds of reporting that can be accessed. We submit reports to the customer.

What is most valuable?

The audit feature is great. It is totally encrypted. Nobody can tamper with the details. For example, a DB admin can change the audit, however, if they are using the DAM product, that is totally different infrastructure so that the log, since it is an agent-based solution, whatever the activity will be done in the server regarding the database audit will be captured by the audit and that agent. The communication is totally encrypted and nobody can tamper with that data.

The initial setup is not overly complex.

What needs improvement?

Some cloud versions are not supported by the agent. For example, we had a client that wanted to move to the cloud and wanted to use AWS, however, it was not possible. Imperva should have every kind of agent.

I've used the solution for around three years. I've used it for a while now.

The solution is stable. It's very reliable and the performance is good.

It's a scalable solution. It's good. If we can just change the gateway or if it is a VM right now, we can upgrade the resources, or we can install many more agents in the server, in other servers, and we can take more servers behind it so that we can capture all the data for any of the server.

Technical support is good. Sometimes we have to raise a ticket and we get good, proper support. There's no issue.

The the setup itself is not too complex, it's conceptual. You have to understand at least the basics of the database. That's it. You don't have to be a DB admin, however, as a security engineer, you just need some small knowledge of a database, for example, what the database is, what the table is, et cetera.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners.

I'd recommend the solution. If a company has a plan for the Imperva DAM solution, it can, while still not using the Imperva WAF solution. The WAF solution is also good. We can use the WAF as well as DAM. We have a box, a gateway, or management that is used for both cases.

If an organization wants to do both the cases like I have a database, I have a web server, I want to secure both the infrastructures, I know I can strictly go for the Imperva, and Imperva will give management of two gateways for two different solutions, and that's it. It can be a complete package.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Senior Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Brings segregation of duties, provides continuous monitoring, and is easy to deploy
    • "The beauty of it is that it provides segregation of duties. Typically, in the traditional environment, DBAs administer the database, and they have too much access. We are in the process of implementing other Oracle solutions, and it brings some kind of segregation. Just because someone is a DBA does not mean that he or she should have access to all of the data. Some of the data can be masked so that privacy and security are enhanced, especially when it is customer data for an institution like a bank."
    • "It is quite expensive. I would prefer a lower price."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for database activity monitoring. We use it to monitor all the traffic that comes to the database to know about the operations that are happening on the database.

At the moment, it is on-premises, but we eventually would like to go to the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It serves as a way and means to see if any unauthorized person is trying to access the database. It helps to implement specific rules to ensure that only authenticated people have access to the database.

What is most valuable?

The beauty of it is that it provides segregation of duties. Typically, in the traditional environment, DBAs administer the database, and they have too much access. We are in the process of implementing other Oracle solutions, and it brings some kind of segregation. Just because someone is a DBA does not mean that he or she should have access to all of the data. Some of the data can be masked so that privacy and security are enhanced, especially when it is customer data for an institution like a bank.

What needs improvement?

It is quite expensive. I would prefer a lower price.

In terms of features, I started using it this month. I need more time to explore it.

It has not been long. We implemented it this month.

We are currently doing a PoC, and there are a few issues that we are trying to resolve. When all of those issues are sorted out, we can start measuring the stability of the solution.

We haven't scaled it yet.

We are working with their technical support. They have been good so far.

It is straightforward, but it depends on the organizational policies and rules in terms of the infrastructure. For example, when you deploy it in an environment like Oracle, it is probably fine, but in other environments like Cisco, there could be some issues that you have to troubleshoot. It is more of an infrastructural or environmental issue.

We started with the PoC. It was implemented within two days. We are now doing monitoring to ensure everything is still fine.

What other advice do I have?

It is a fantastic solution. It is very good, but the only issue is that if you don't have enough money, you cannot use this solution.

I would rate it an eight out of 10 for now. After exploring it more, I might rate it higher.

MariyaKuklyeva - PeerSpot reviewer
    BDM at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Simple management, user-friendly, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security are the user-friendliness, easy-to-use interface compared to competitors, database operations do not need a specialist, and simple to manage for our security team. Additionally, the solution can show all the databases and the level of sensitivity. It can show what is more sensitive or less sensitive."
    • "Imperva SecureSphere Database Security could improve the database defense feature called camouflage. This feature was responsible for the data mask but now it does not work well and we need another solution. All our banks have teams that are regarded with care and they need to mask sensitive data in order to provide testing to developers."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are using Imperva SecureSphere Database Security for GDP compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Imperva SecureSphere Database Security has improved our organization by providing us with safety from vulnerabilities. We have better rules and rights management for our sensitive database.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security are the user-friendliness, easy-to-use interface compared to competitors, database operations do not need a specialist, and simple to manage for our security team. Additionally, the solution can show all the databases and the level of sensitivity. It can show what is more sensitive or less sensitive.

What needs improvement?

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security could improve the database defense feature called camouflage. This feature was responsible for the data mask but now it does not work well and we need another solution. All our banks have teams that are regarded with care and they need to mask sensitive data in order to provide testing to developers.

I have been using Imperva SecureSphere Database Security for approximately two months.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is stable.

The scalability of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is easy, and it scales well.

We have approximately 10 to 15 users using the solution. There are administrators and team leaders using the solution.

I have not used another solution previously.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security was simple for our engineers to implement. It is easier than other similar solutions. The full deployment took a few weeks.

Our engineering team did he implementation Imperva SecureSphere Database Security with the help of some partners. We require a lot of people for the deployment of the solution. We typically require one IT administrator, engineer, and partner engineers.

It is too early to tell if we have received a return on investment.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security was quite expensive several years ago, but now they provide a subscription plan for licensing. It is available now for smaller and medium-sized companies, not only large enterprises.

There are many licensing options available, such as monthly and annually. Additionally, The hardware can be available on a perpetual license. There are not any additional costs other than deployment fees if you use a partner or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Imperva SecureSphere Database Security a nine out of ten.

Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    A solid product with good pricing and a simple initial setup
    • "The initial setup is very simple."
    • "The updates could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for auditing purposes so collecting and archiving of logs.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good for auditing purposes, including collecting and archiving logs.

We appreciate that we can use it on the DB server without harming the performance of the database is fantastic. It doesn't feel like it's lagging.

The initial setup is very simple.

Overall it's a solid product.

The pricing is okay.

What needs improvement?

The support could be improved.

The product needs to perform better in extremely busy databases. It does not do really well where the DB is extremely, extremely busy.

The updates could be better.

The UI can be improved.

The ability to narrow down to the right environment could be helpful. They need to allow users to find an easy way to drill down to what's important.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

The solution is solid. The stability is good.

The scalability is okay. However, if you're going to set up a redundancy, it needs to be in the same data center, as the manager that manages the entire system needs to share the data, and therefore they need to basically work in the area where they have direct connectivity between the sites. In our case, we have multiple data centers, and we distribute the connectivity and we can't achieve that.

The solution's scalability isn't based on users. Even if you have one person using it, you might have 300 databases. It's not about the number of users, it's the number of databases.

The support isn't as good as it could be. We are not quite satisfied with it.

We previously used Oracle.

The solution is very simple and straightforward. It's not too difficult or complex.

The solution isn't crazy-expensive. It's reasonable.

We pay for the solution on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's a very solid product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Database Security Specialist
    Up-to-date inventory management and compliance
    • "The most valuable feature is the automatic reports on new databases, which gives us up-to-date inventory management."
    • "Sometimes the reports are cumbersome, and you have to drill down to get more information."

What is our primary use case?

I use SecureSphere to monitor our core databases and privilege operations by administrators, and to provide compliance reports.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of regulatory compliance, one of the key requirements is to ensure that our core databases are monitored. SecureSphere allows us to generate details to prove that we're compliant with all requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the reports are cumbersome, and you have to drill down to get more information. SecureSphere also sometimes needs a lot of maintenance to keep the agents running on the database. In the next release, Imperva should include a preventative solution that will stop an attack before it happens or read the behavior of particular accounts and act on it. They should also make SecureSphere available on mobile so that if an administrator isn't on-prem, he can access the solution via the internet wherever he may be.

I've been using this solution for almost three years.

SecureSphere has been very stable until recently, due to the addition of new source databases causing performance issues.

SecureSphere is very scalable.

Imperva's technical support has been good. In the past, it sometimes took a long time to resolve an issue, but more recently, the responsiveness has been very impressive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

Previously, we used Oracle Audit Vault, but its reports were a little complex, and their support was not so impressive.

The initial setup was straightforward, and the deployment took between one and two weeks.

Our deployment was done in-house.

SecureSphere has resulted in us receiving audit exceptions, especially from the final details, which is a big deal to my organization since we have to be compliant.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SecureSphere to other users and advise making a dedicated team available to work on the solution and configure the correct set of policies so they can get value for their money. I'd give SecureSphere a rating of eight out of ten.

CEO at Cyberapp
    Beneficial enrichment security policy, good support, and suitable for all business sizes
    • "The most valuable features of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security are vulnerability assessment, enrichment security policy, and security"
    • "Imperva SecureSphere Database Security can improve something in all the versions I have used."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Imperva SecureSphere Database Security for database protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security are vulnerability assessment, enrichment security policy, and security

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, there should be a more simplistic way to learn the policy. The security policies can be complex, you need to know the attacks in order to give the portal a security policy. They should be more user-friendly to a level you do not need an expert.

I have been using Imperva SecureSphere Database Security for approximately 10 years.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is stable.

Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is suitable for small, medium, and enterprise companies.

The support of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security has good support.

The initial setup of Imperva SecureSphere Database Security is straightforward if you have the experience. If you are able to configure the solution well it can be implemented in one day.

The price of the solution is reasonable. The cost of the solution depends on the customer, they have the flex protect licensing which can vary in price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is before they go and implement a database security device, you need to know exactly what you need. You need to do the right review on your network and see what is the case study that you will need in order to protect the database in the best way.

I rate Imperva SecureSphere Database Security a nine out of ten.

Product Categories