IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Audit Vault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Audit Vault is #3 ranked solution in top Database Security tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Audit Vault an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Audit Vault is most commonly compared to IBM Guardium Data Protection: Oracle Audit Vault vs IBM Guardium Data Protection. Oracle Audit Vault is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.

Download the Database Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Audit Vault?
Oracle Audit Vault monitors Oracle and non-Oracle database traffic to detect and block threats, as well as improves compliance reporting by consolidating audit data from databases, operating systems, directories, and other sources.

Oracle Audit Vault was previously known as Audit Vault.

Oracle Audit Vault Customers
Abu Dhabi Department of Finance, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health, Educational Testing Service, Ryohin Keikaku Co. Ltd., SPC Brasil, REDISA, Qatar Olympic Committee, Seneca College, Hunan Social Insurance Management and Service Bureau,
Oracle Audit Vault Video

Oracle Audit Vault Reviews

Yves Moro - PeerSpot reviewer
Oracle Database Administrator at SOCITECH S.A.
Provides good security, and is helpful for auditing the data and seeing what's happening
  • "It is a good product for controlling all databases. It is helpful for auditing the data. When people are doing any actions on the databases, they are recorded automatically in the vault. You can work on the collected data to find out exactly what is happening on a database. You can implement database encryption on the databases to control people's access to the database content, such as rows and tables."
  • "Currently, you need two servers: one for Audit Vault and one for the firewall. If they can combine them into one server, it will be great because it is costly to have two servers. It will also make its installation easier. I have heard that in the new version, there will be only one server for both."

What is our primary use case?

Its main use case is for auditing the data. It is deployed on-premises. You need two servers to do that. The first one is for Audit Vault, and the second one is for the firewall server.

What is most valuable?

Its security is most valuable. All companies are looking to secure their data because people around the world are stealing data from IT, banks, and other companies. The most important thing is to secure data. It should not go into the hands of hackers. A company's strength is in the security of its data, and customers want to know how safe the data is in a company. It is a good product for controlling all databases. It is helpful for auditing the data. When people are doing any actions on the databases, they are recorded automatically in the vault. You can work on the collected data to find out exactly what is happening on a database. You can implement database encryption on the databases to control people's access to the database content, such as rows and tables.

What needs improvement?

Currently, you need two servers: one for Audit Vault and one for the firewall. If they can combine them into one server, it will be great because it is costly to have two servers. It will also make its installation easier. I have heard that in the new version, there will be only one server for both. I use it only for security purposes, and they can continue to improve it with more security tools and features. It should be powerful like FortiGate. When it becomes powerful like FortiGate, people will only go for this solution for their infrastructure. Their support could be faster.

I have been using this solution for almost three years.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Imperva and others in Database Security. Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have installed it in two banking companies. It is mostly stable. Sometimes, there is an issue with the system. Its stability is okay.

I have never scaled it, but I have heard that it is possible.

When I face any issue, I open a service request on Oracle's site. Sometimes, it took them time to solve the problem. You give them all the logs, but they can take three to four days before they come out with the solution. During all this time, customers are complaining and fighting. There is an SLA for us for resolving an issue.

It is complex because there are two servers. It would be best to have one server to make it easy to configure and install. Currently, it is not at all easy because it is an appliance, but it is self-configured. When you run it, it configures on its own based on its need for shared memory for all other background processes. Because it's an appliance, you cannot modify it during the installation. Everything is done directly, which is a good idea because sometimes, a person can make some mistakes during the configuration. Its deployment duration varies. Sometimes, it took me almost two weeks because of some issues. After I have installed the software on the server, they need to put it on the network. At the time of putting the software, many problems come out with security because you need to take care of the security between the servers and the network. It was not at all easy.

I did it on my own. We are a consultant, and we are working for almost 20 companies in West Africa. We go to companies, check the infra, and advise them about the new products. We advise them about why they should install Audit Vault, and what advantage they will have when they get this product. We tell them about how to migrate. Many of them have 11G or 12C, but they need to move from the latest versions, such as 19 or 21.  We advise them about the Oracle products because we are also Oracle partners here in West Africa. Our IT department is mainly responsible for its maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. I like it, and that's why I want to get a certification in this product.

Osama Mustafa - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Expert | DevOps | Oracle Consultant at confidential
One of its most valuable features is the entitlement auditing for Oracle Database and set audit policies and provision them from the Audit Vault Server console

What is our primary use case?

The main reason was to collect audit data, make it available in audit reports, and create custom reports that meet the customer's requirement and set audit policies and provision them from the Audit Vault Server console & For databases, it provides a database firewall that can monitor and/or block SQL statements on the network based on a firewall policy designed by an auditor.

How has it helped my organization?

• Audit data collection from diverse sources.
  • Integrations with third-party products.
  • ecurity event reporting (malicious activity and hacking attempts).
  • Monitoring everything from one place.
  • SQL workload monitoring

This will improve your infrastructure and make it secure for sure.

What is most valuable?

Different features I have been using in this product:

• Audit policies for Oracle Database
  • Reports and report schedules
  • Entitlement auditing for Oracle Database
  • Stored procedure auditing
  • Alerts and email notifications

All the above features will allow you to manage and monitor the infrastructure, databases very easily and create custom reports depending on what you want.

What needs improvement?

Different things should be improved:

• The migration from an old version to a newer version is not that easy
  •  Database grouping also should be improved, and
  • The reporting.

Three to five years.

So far regarding to my experience with it it's stable but the problem when with the support when are facing a  bug or something you have to keep following all the time.

It's nice product when it's comes to scalability,

slow and they are asking for a lot of logs, you have to be patient since they will ask you to upload the logs every time the shift will change.

to be honest the installation & configuration it's needs a lot of work and reading, the more server you have to audit the more complex and extra work you will have.

I am working as freelance and having extensive experience with Oracle products so i have been contacted due to this, i implement this solution approximately five or six time.

if you are looking for software for auditing, audit Vault Collection Agent provides run-time support for audit data collection by Audit Vault collectors.

• Setup consumes too much resource and storage.
  • Also if you need to install Database Firewall, you need another server.
  • Pricing is expensive.

• Audit Vault Console which consists the following : -
  • Collector management and monitoring
  • Report management
  • Alert management
June 2022
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Personal Banker at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, with good support, but the stability could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for developing and hosting our environment to orient them.

What needs improvement?

There are features available in Imperva that are not included in Oracle Audit Vault. It would be helpful to have more features added.

Stability could be improved, we have had some challenges

I have been using this solution for between six and seven years.

We are using the latest version.

We have some challenges with stability, but it's okay considering the entire industry.

It's a scalable solution.

Depending on the instances that we have, we have approximately 1,000 users.

We have plans to continue using Oracle. If they have a better version, we will move towards that.

Technical support is perfect. We don't have any issues with technical support.

The installation is handled by a different department, but I haven't received any complaints about it.

I have completed an analysis on Imperva and found some features that are not available in Audit Vault.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend Oracle Audit Vault for others.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Database Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Imperva, and more!
Updated: June 2022