IBM WebSphere BPMS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is IBM WebSphere BPMS?

IBM WebSphere BPMS was previously known as WebSphere BPMS.

IBM WebSphere BPMS Customers
Schahin Group, Korean Credit Card Company, Versicherungskammer Bayern, Biogrid Australia
IBM WebSphere BPMS Video

Archived IBM WebSphere BPMS Reviews (more than two years old)

Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Can easily trace where a path has gone but tasks fail without a reason
  • "We like the feature in which we can trace back instances."
  • "Sometimes there are tasks that failed without any reason."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as the main landing page to allow users to go to other applications. We have built-in applications mainly for planning. We have a few other applications that we direct users from the portals to other dormant pages. IBM BPM is not really meant for either UI you know. The UI looks a bit outdated but we have another application in which we have 2000 plus users using this at the moment, so our user base is big. We have problems with the slowness and the UI and that impacts the user experience for who use it. We've decided to migrate away from this solution.

What is most valuable?

It can easily trace where the path has gone, what the next start is. We like the feature in which we can trace back instances. Users prefer all the .Net features. Sometimes there are tasks that failed without any reason. We process it from the inside which is a cumbersome task. Users won't know that it failed, they'll just ask what happened to their pass.

There are no issues with it. I think maybe our setup wrong. Our infrastructure uses a single cluster with two nodes. I don't think that's suitable for our production environment.

What needs improvement?

We have a process flow and we have multiple applications using the same platform. For example, application A uses the PX 1.0 and another application has to use 2.0 or 3.0 because 1.0 has been used by application A. That's the reason that the user asks why they are using version PX 3.3. They want to use whatever they want.

We have been using IBM WebSphere since 2017.

Process Automation
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Comindware and others in Process Automation. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I am impressed with the scalability on our side. Our management is not investing in scaling up the service. It's quite stable at times but sometimes they give us headaches also. We have issues with the BPM lock not expanding in time. It becomes slow because it needs to expel the DB log.

We have contacted their customer support a few times.

They are very technical. When writing the logs we are redirected to the correct support team. Before engaging the support team, we did our own research. IBM has its own website knowledge base. There are times that we are not confident to perform those steps ourselves because the impact will be huge because production will be down for a few days. There are times when we have had a few steps that we needed to troubleshoot with the support team. The onsite support requires additional charges. It depends on the severity of the ticket.

We were not involved in the initial setup. It was already set up for us and unfortunately, we were not given any hands-on training on how to manage or how to become admins of the product. We learn as we go.

We had a good environment and we wanted to switch the environment to connect our production environment so that users will not be impacted because the production went down.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. It's stable. The support is available to you. If you have the budget and you have a solid developer team that is well versed in the IBM product then you can invest or else you would be in trouble because you need to source out all these resources.

Users have high demands. They want to have a single sign-on option and those kinds of things. They want to see less clicking. They want to see all of these features in the web nowadays and our version doesn't have them.

I would rate it a five out of ten.

Mohamed-Abdelwahed - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Solutions Manager at Valleysoft
Reseller
Standardizes and automates business processes for efficiency
  • "This product is flexible in its ability to integrate processes and it can be extended and integrated with other software."
  • "The user interface could be improved, and although integration opportunities are good, they could be improved further."

What is our primary use case?

Mostly our customers are banks, so they are using BPM and creating processes across different offices within the bank. For example, the solution is used in loan origination. The process is created to help with standardizing the approvals process. The idea is to follow the process from the start of collecting data from the customer until the bank processes the loan that was applied for. This works across different offices in the bank and they need to be efficient when they process the approvals. So most of the banks prefer to use IBM BPM as it is the most capable product in the world currently in this area of automating the process.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about the software is that it is flexible in its ability to integrate processes and it can be extended and integrated with other software. So it can share data and receive it back into the process as the process moves through steps. It can also simulate a process so we can add data another way and run process and it will calculate the time, the cost, and the results. Testing is part of the process.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. Because you can say it is not the best on the market. There are other products with better interfaces. It is not like the ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) interface that you can create yourself. The product needs to be more flexible in creating a user-friendly interface for the customer.

Making it flexible more in terms of integration with other products outside of IBM products would be a welcome addition. The product can already integrate and has flexibility, but there is opportunity for even more improvement in this way.

Our company has been working with the IBM WebSphere BPMS (Business Process Management Solution) product since 2006. So that would be 13 years.

It is a stable product and it has to be for our application in the banking system. Most of the banks in our region use it. You need to have the financial information and the business processes the bank uses available all the time. All the banks know this is a popular product within the industry and the banks count on it.

It is scalable. We have not yet had a problem with scalability.

There are bugs in the software, of course, as with any product. I would evaluate the product support as typical of software products. I do not hate their support and I do not love them either. They could improve, of course, but anyone can improve.

We did not actually use some other software as we do the implementations. We have considered other options for our clients, but many products are not compatible with our sector which is mainly banking.

The setup is not straightforward. We were able to set it up and deploy the product by ourselves without any integrator or specialist to help beyond what we provide.

When you do the setup you only need someone who specializes in the hardware and setting up the operating system. Without setting it up correctly you would not be able to depend on it working as it should and it may not work at all.

The process is continuous in some way. For a complex project, it could be three or four days before you have it set up, but that is just the setup. Only about one or two people are required for deployment and for maintenance of the software, but it is not simple.

We have evaluated other products. The problems are not always with the products but what they can be used for in an organization according to regulations. So far BotFarm works in specific areas like Oracle A/B. But there are really no relevant bank software solutions in BotFarm for transactions and business processes that I know of. Although the bots are working on machines, solutions for bankers have to work within the regulations. I do not know exactly if this is because of security or that they do not want sensitive information to be published online in the cloud space.

We have been exploring BotFarm since about January (2019) and as part of our offerings for about six months in situations where it can be used. BotFarm is included in our product package. We are a partner; we are not the customer. We are executing the implementations for the customers. I am not using it to implement it within my architecture.

I work with banks and the AutomationAnywhere BotFarm product does not have any software for banks included it, so we can not generally deploy it as a solution in banking. IBM BPMS is more suitable for the banking sector.

We also looked at IQ Bot, which is another AutomationAnywhere product. The problem with this is that currently, IQ Bot does not support Arabic. So in this region of the world, it would be impossible to use that product right now. When it is possible to use it with Arabic, it might get further consideration.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to potential users is that you should not approach working with this product as something you just deploy and forget about. The business process from a business perspective is a continuous process of enhancement. So if you are successful in implementing the software that does not mean that it is the end of the process. It should go on continuously throughout the use of the product and enhancement of business practice, rules, and changes in the business environment. There must be someone to watch the process and to improve it as there is always room for more improvement.

I definitely would recommend this product as a solution as I do with most of our clients. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM WebSphere BPMS as an eight.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, reseller
Process Automation
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good UI capabilities and very good speed of delivery but lacks overall stability
  • "The UI capabilities of the solution are great. The speed of delivery is good."
  • "The solution lacks acceptable stability."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution by leveraging IBM's setup server where we can share different products and applications. We're using it for process automation to automate, for example, application processes in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The UI capabilities of the solution are great. The speed of delivery is good.

Everything is delivered quickly and seamlessly in order to bring things to the market in an efficient manner.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to stabilize its UI capabilities and other features within the product. Lately, there have been big swings in UI. It started in 7.5 and 7.5.1. In 8.0 they completely changed the solution's UI capabilities and it threw everyone off. In 8.5 and 8.5.5 they introduced client-side and human resources. Now they seem to be returning back to the original UI capabilities.

The solution lacks acceptable stability.

The solution's technical support could be better.

It would be helpful if the solution was able to loop in the VPN as well within its general capabilities. Users should be able to implement their own choice of technology, be it Java or any other code.

I've been using the solution for ten years now.

I wouldn't say the solution isn't too stable. We've experienced a lot of glitches on the product. There's still a lot of improvement that could happen in this area of the solution.

The solution is scalable, but then, even when you scale it, the performance is an issue.
There may be scenarios where you may not be able to reach the optimal performance that you're looking for.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. We've faced a few challenges that they haven't really been able to solve.

It's rather average, on the whole, but they could work to be better and improve their services.

I do have a bit of background using a few other systems that in my opinion were better. Python, for example, is much more stable.

The initial setup is straightforward, depending on how complex is your environment and requirements are.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I'd warn people not to jump into using this or any solution without considering how they'll design their applications for it. Companies need to do their research to implement it the right way. That way, they end up getting the output they are looking for. The design is key. Once you have the design right, the implementation falls into place. Ultimately, people need to follow the right set of policies and guidelines to make the solution effective.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

it_user634905 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems architect at Firstsys
Each of the DataPowers can either load-balance or create load-balance groups to multiple internal appliances.

What is most valuable?

• It is an appliance: it's very secure
  • You can't install software on it
  • It's not really hackable: There's no software that can be run independently of what's already in the firmware
  • We put it in the DMZ: It scales horizontally so I can load-balance to dozens of them at a time
  • Each of the DataPowers can either load-balance or create load-balance groups to multiple internal appliances

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed the companies that I work for to expose their services outside of their own network. That was very important to most of them. That's what they're all trying to get to.

What needs improvement?

They need more monitoring capability. When the flows go through, a lot of what my clients are asking for is to be able to monitor a transaction from end-to-end. I have no way of monitoring the transaction inside the DataPower, so I have to start at the next step.

The appliance itself is very stable. The fact that I can deploy them horizontally with multiple instances gives them very high availability.

They are very scalable because I can go from one to a dozen of them.

Their technical support is very good. Most of the time that I've had any issues, I would get an answer within an hour.

The devices themselves are complex, but the setup is fairly easy. Since they are appliances, you basically install them in a rack and then run a configuration script.

We were concerned about support mostly, but we were also concerned with reliability.

When selecting a product, I want to make sure that the vendor is going to be there tomorrow, but that also goes back to support.

If they're out of business in five years and I have $2 million invested in the hardware, what do I do?

So we went with IBM. There are other solutions out there. There are open-source solutions. But there are advantages of going with IBM:

• Nobody gets fired for buying IBM, right?
  • They have an appliance: This is very, very desirable from a security standpoint

What other advice do I have?

I would tell him to look at the things that I have spoken about:

• How scalable is it?
  • How easy is it to scale?
  • How secure is it?